Author Topic: Spotify  (Read 8897 times)

Offline Skeever

Re: Spotify
« Reply #140 on: January 31, 2022, 12:06:54 PM »
It's actually hilarious and says something about the stupidity of humanity that Spotify, or any other platform, has to put a warning label like..."Do not drink this beautiful smelling liquid that you use for washing clothes." As people are influenced by Tik-Tok challenges and end up eating these liquid detergents because a social media platform challenged them to do it.

Should we ban Tik-Tok because of the influence these challenges has on the masses?

Seriously: yes.

Social media has failed us and our society when it was supposed to bring us closer to the truth. If our Government doesn't care to take action regulating it and preventing the spread of false information Putin's troll farms and Xi's wumao's certainly will be happy to fill the vacuum.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #141 on: January 31, 2022, 12:31:24 PM »
It's actually hilarious and says something about the stupidity of humanity that Spotify, or any other platform, has to put a warning label like..."Do not drink this beautiful smelling liquid that you use for washing clothes." As people are influenced by Tik-Tok challenges and end up eating these liquid detergents because a social media platform challenged them to do it.

Should we ban Tik-Tok because of the influence these challenges has on the masses?

Seriously: yes.

Social media has failed us and our society when it was supposed to bring us closer to the truth. If our Government doesn't care to take action regulating it and preventing the spread of false information Putin's troll farms and Xi's wumao's certainly will be happy to fill the vacuum.

I for one don't think it's the governments job to regulate it. What it shows me is that human characteristics are revealed. In a way, humans were not ready to handle Social Media. Instead of benefiting from it, it's become a detrimental tool for humanity. Humans, ourselves as individuals, need to address our own personalities, attitudes, and characteristics. It's why I wonder about what goes into people's mindsets for acting upon their thoughts. Such as the people who are influenced by others into doing stuff. It's not just Social Media, it's people in general and their choice to believe what the person is saying, is not bullshit. That's how people can have influence on others, and people lift others up, how else did Jesus the Human, become known now as Jesus the Savior?

People idolize celebrities who in turn start to dress like them, and some take it to physically become them. That has nothing to do with Social Media, but has to do with a persons mentality. Television has also influenced people to do things as well. TV has been utilized as a tool to present messages and content with themes. How is that not influencing how people think, act, and wonder?

Not you, specifically, but I think some of this is fear driven. We FEAR that it is effective.  We FEAR it just like we FEAR that violent video games make kids want to shoot other kids (they don't) or that talking about sex makes our kids want to fuck (they don't need the talking).

This is where I actually think a lot of interactions and how people perceive and live their lives is based on. Fear of whatever may prevent a person from accomplishing a task. Fear of heights, you won't experience high places. Fear of drowning, you won't experience swimming or go anywhere where there is deep waters. People will go to extreme lengths to prevent these fears, such as the person who has a fear of drowning, not going onto a boat because of their fear.

Fear is very powerful and it's fascinating how it can affect people's decisions and choices on how they live their lives.

And people can utilize others' fears to manipulate them and control them, because they have a grasp of those fears and they know they can present those fears and make those fearful people do things.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #142 on: January 31, 2022, 01:17:10 PM »
Free Speech is a concept. It's a concept guaranteed by the constitution of the USA. It's so you can say, "This government sucks." And the government can't throw you in jail because you told them "they stink like poo poo." Which other countries, like North Korea does when you tell their leader or even declare that he "smells like dog piss."

Well, unless you're deplorable, and you're caught on video at the Capitol Building.  Amirite?  :) :) :) :)

You mean broke into the Capitol Building.

And vandalized government while assaulting police officers

No, no.  I've always said, if a real crime has been committed, we have a system for that.  I am not defending or excusing criminal behavior.  I'm talking about those people that were simply seen in video and bore consequences.   People who were fired for simply being AT the Capitol.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #143 on: January 31, 2022, 02:58:52 PM »
Free Speech is a concept. It's a concept guaranteed by the constitution of the USA. It's so you can say, "This government sucks." And the government can't throw you in jail because you told them "they stink like poo poo." Which other countries, like North Korea does when you tell their leader or even declare that he "smells like dog piss."

Well, unless you're deplorable, and you're caught on video at the Capitol Building.  Amirite?  :) :) :) :)

No, no.  I've always said, if a real crime has been committed, we have a system for that.  I am not defending or excusing criminal behavior.  I'm talking about those people that were simply seen in video and bore consequences.   People who were fired for simply being AT the Capitol.

But...all people in the Capitol were breaking and entering, weren't they? Every single person on video in the Capitol crossed a police barrier and went into a building illegally.

I don't have time to look at them all, but it seems a vast majority of these start with "Entering and remaining in a restricted building..."

https://www.usatoday.com/storytelling/capitol-riot-mob-arrests/

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: January 31, 2022, 03:15:30 PM »

But...all people in the Capitol were breaking and entering, weren't they? Every single person on video in the Capitol crossed a police barrier and went into a building illegally.

I don't have time to look at them all, but it seems a vast majority of these start with "Entering and remaining in a restricted building..."

https://www.usatoday.com/storytelling/capitol-riot-mob-arrests/

The arrests? I'll take your word for it.  There were people fired for simply being there.  Which, of course, is likely in that company's purview to do.  But we're talking here specifically about my response to a post about the concept of free speech and consequences.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #145 on: January 31, 2022, 07:22:22 PM »

Call it apples and oranges, but do you also take this stance with regards to people breaking and entering the country and crossing the border illegally? 

Note: Apologies if this drifts too far into P/R, but it seemed like a fair question given the direction this thread has gone.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #146 on: January 31, 2022, 07:27:51 PM »

Call it apples and oranges, but do you also take this stance with regards to people breaking and entering the country and crossing the border illegally? 

Note: Apologies if this drifts too far into P/R, but it seemed like a fair question given the direction this thread has gone.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #147 on: January 31, 2022, 07:36:00 PM »
It was just a question, sir.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #148 on: January 31, 2022, 11:44:37 PM »
Just like Rogan does not believe in the vaccine, we have to have a label because it makes people feel better.  Just don't listen to him.  Listen to your doctor.  People are stupid.
That's not the purpose of an advisory notice on COVID, as you well know. Those complaining about Rogan's podcast aren't worried about themselves, they're concerned that other people will listen to his podcast and be taken in by the views of his guests. And unlike the hot coffee cup example you gave, which would only hurt that one customer, the picture is understandably different for a highly transmissible virus.

As ever, hef got it spot on:

Rogan's thing isn't that he promotes misinformation.  He doesn't promote anything.  But he has guests on his show of ALL opinions and makes no distinctions about them, presenting them all as equally valid, to get all perspectives out there.  On the face of it, that sounds nice, but of course it will occasionally mean that his huge audience gets exposed to some crackpot bullshit, and since Rogan doesn't call it crackpot bullshit, the influence is now there.

Having said all of that, Spotify itself is just a platform.  If I were NY, I wouldn't have done what he did, but he is a codgy old fucker with lots of weird opinions, and its HIS music, so whatever.

Spotify announced they will have some kind of bumper before podcasts dealing with COVID, and Rogan said he's perfectly fine with that, so case closed for me.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #149 on: February 01, 2022, 04:24:02 AM »
It was just a question, sir.

I suspect you'll find the answers to the questions of RJ's position on immigration in the "Immigration" thread - ironically, which RJ himself started.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #150 on: February 01, 2022, 04:52:06 AM »
Rich,  of course I know that but there is so many other podcasts and websites that do that. If that wasn't the case, Rogan would have not been amiable to the warning added to the beginning of his podcast so fast. 

Again, we have to have a warning for someone's opinion that others don't agree with.

And remember. I agree with getting the vaccine and have been boostered as soon as it was available.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: February 01, 2022, 06:56:41 AM »
I just have a hard time with the subjectivity of things like labels and warnings.  Who gets to decide what warning are appropriate?

The funny thing - it's not funny at all - is the irony of all of this.    We know that misinformation, and it's spread, is really about fear and identity and feeling good about oneself.  And as someone who isn't invested in forcing others to see the world the way I do, and forcing others to act as I do, as a general matter (not talking about anyone here, necessarily) I see as many of those same characteristics in the people going after Rogan as I do the ones who follow him.  If you're so confident you're right, what do you have to fear from misinformation?  Put your information out there and if you're right, it will take the day.  Put your efforts into creating larger in-groups. Put your efforts into packaging your "correct" information in a way that appeals to those that are searching for a connection and for purpose.  (Pro tip: calling them idiots and morons and suckers is not that.)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #152 on: February 01, 2022, 07:29:00 AM »
I just have a hard time with the subjectivity of things like labels and warnings.  Who gets to decide what warning are appropriate?

The funny thing - it's not funny at all - is the irony of all of this.    We know that misinformation, and it's spread, is really about fear and identity and feeling good about oneselfAnd as someone who isn't invested in forcing others to see the world the way I do

You might want to reflect on this statement, because you do very much try to have others see the world the way you do.  You don't "force", but you most certainly do - or at least come across as trying to - sway others to see things as you see them.  Not your personal views or opinions, but the way you look at society (if that makes sense).  Heck, most of your post is doing that.

And to some extent, you've successfully done that with me over the years ... I look at some things differently now because of our discussions - which I consider to be a good thing.

and forcing others to act as I do,

Now THAT is 100% accurate.  You don't try to force anyone into anything.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: February 01, 2022, 07:49:17 AM »

The funny thing - it's not funny at all - is the irony of all of this.    We know that misinformation, and it's spread, is really about fear and identity and feeling good about oneselfAnd as someone who isn't invested in forcing others to see the world the way I do

You might want to reflect on this statement, because you do very much try to have others see the world the way you do.  You don't "force", but you most certainly do - or at least come across as trying to - sway others to see things as you see them.  Not your personal views or opinions, but the way you look at society (if that makes sense).  Heck, most of your post is doing that.

Well I see it slightly different:  I offer my worldview, explain it, and if someone wants to adopt it, well, that's on them. There's a difference in terms of others' understanding but rejecting versus understanding and accepting.  I suppose in the sense I'm insistent and consistent in my views it seems as if they are forced to UNDERSTAND, but I'm okay with that, since it's the transfer of information. I do not actually force anyone to ACCEPT the way I think. I don't advocate laws that codify my world view, for example.  I don't restrict anyone from offering their own, conflicting world view.  The best example:  I am pro-life, in the sense that I believe abortion is the taking of life.  Having said that, I am VOCIFEROUSLY pro-choice, politically, because I stridently feel I cannot determine anyone else's worldview with respect to that issue.  They are free to pursue their own thought patterns.  There is room for Bernie Sanders, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Donald Trump, and Ted Cruz in my world.  I don't, usually, feel the same in return from any of those four and those like them.

I get there's a fine line between "think" and "do" here, but unlike many people I really do NOT want everyone to think like I do.  That's a recipe for disaster in the sense that it doesn't allow for alternate points of view, and it means that any potential  blind spots are hard to identify.  And when I get into a beef with someone it's largely only in terms of understanding, not agreement.  There are some people here - a distinct few - who are just obstinate about even acknowledging there is an alternative way to look at things.

And to some extent, you've successfully done that with me over the years ... I look at some things differently now because of our discussions - which I consider to be a good thing.

and forcing others to act as I do,

Now THAT is 100% accurate.  You don't try to force anyone into anything.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #154 on: February 02, 2022, 05:22:51 PM »
Rogan aside, a week in of Tidal use, and I can say for certainty that if anyone misses how Spotify worked before half the app became an ad banner for podcasts, Tidal is exactly that. Sounds a heck of a lot better too.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: February 02, 2022, 05:28:52 PM »
So another issue with spotify that just popped up (to my knowledge)...

I follow Woflie Van Halen on twitter and he started going off on hitpiece.com which apparently uses the spotify API to make songs into NFTs and sells them.  If the copyright owner accepts or doesn't respond to the request to sell, it's sold.  I'm only just reading about this so my understanding is not very strong.

Here is a twitter thread describing the guy who is running this https://twitter.com/thehumanfly_/status/1488899958044516353 or you can just go to Wolfie's page and see how annoyed he is https://twitter.com/WolfVanHalen  Definitely seems like a scam on the surface.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #156 on: February 02, 2022, 05:41:41 PM »

I follow Woflie Van Halen on twitter and he started going off on hitpiece.com which apparently uses the spotify API to make songs into NFTs and sells them.  If the copyright owner accepts or doesn't respond to the request to sell, it's sold.  I'm only just reading about this so my understanding is not very strong.

Here is a twitter thread describing the guy who is running this https://twitter.com/thehumanfly_/status/1488899958044516353 or you can just go to Wolfie's page and see how annoyed he is https://twitter.com/WolfVanHalen  Definitely seems like a scam on the surface.

You guys didn't get into another twitter beef about it I hope. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Skeever

« Reply #157 on: February 02, 2022, 05:43:23 PM »

Anything to do with NFTs is a scam I'd say

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: February 02, 2022, 05:45:14 PM »

You guys didn't get into another twitter beef about it I hope. :lol

:lol nah I'm on his side on this one, but that's hilarious you remember that

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: February 03, 2022, 05:13:11 PM »
So far, let's look who took their music off of Spotify.

Neil Young - 76 years old
Crosby Stills & Nash - 80, 77, 80 years old
Failure (band) Ave. Age 54
Joni Mitchell- 78 years old
Nils Lofgren - 70 years old
India.Arie, the youngest at 46 years old.

Seems to me the youth is not ready to take a stand against Spotify.  Different philosophes when it comes to their music intake.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Skeever

« Reply #160 on: February 03, 2022, 06:09:19 PM »

Seems to me the youth is not ready to take a stand against Spotify.  Different philosophes when it comes to their music intake.

I tend to agree that the younger generation are nowhere near as boycott-crazy as the Boomers and Xers, broadly speaking. We're too whimsical to stick with anything long enough to actually need to boycott it. Rogan and these other "intellectual dark-web" types cling to the idea of cancel culture because it helps them, in the end. It gives people a common cause to cling to long after the mainstream are done entertaining their ideas. Really no-one gets cancelled, "I've been cancelled" is just an obligatory lap people take now on their way from mainstream relevance to niche notoriety. And Rogan has been losing influence lately, to begin with. The Neil Young stuff probably brought more attention to his show than he's seen in a year or so.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #161 on: February 03, 2022, 06:13:35 PM »

The funny thing - it's not funny at all - is the irony of all of this.    We know that misinformation, and it's spread, is really about fear and identity and feeling good about oneself.  And as someone who isn't invested in forcing others to see the world the way I do, and forcing others to act as I do, as a general matter (not talking about anyone here, necessarily) I see as many of those same characteristics in the people going after Rogan as I do the ones who follow him.  If you're so confident you're right, what do you have to fear from misinformation?  Put your information out there and if you're right, it will take the day.  Put your efforts into creating larger in-groups. Put your efforts into packaging your "correct" information in a way that appeals to those that are searching for a connection and for purpose.  (Pro tip: calling them idiots and morons and suckers is not that.)

All of this is correct. Most of persuasion has to do with peoples' previous beliefs, marketing, and social proof.

A lot of right-wing people in America will support government assistance IF it means that one of the parents has more time to stay home with their children.

Civil Rights activists in the South looked at multiple candidates they could use to file a lawsuit against bus segregation, and chose Rosa Parks because she was so unquestionably sympathetic. Who's going to act like she's the bad guy?

One of the running jokes in a certain sector of the internet is posting pictures of obese health officials online. You can say "but just because they don't take care of themselves doesn't mean they don't understand the science." Irrelevant. You're trying to win hearts and minds are you not? How do you expect a health official to be taken seriously if they aren't themselves a picture of health?

Or, instead of all that, you can promote self-serving arguments represented by bellicose, hate-able people and threaten censorship for disagreement.

One approach to activism produces lasting, virtually universally agreed-upon social change and the other results in pyrrhic victories erased by inevitable backlash. Complicated choice I know.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: February 03, 2022, 06:20:15 PM »

I tend to agree that the younger generation are nowhere near as boycott-crazy as the Boomers and Xers, broadly speaking. We're too whimsical to stick with anything long enough to actually need to boycott it. Rogan and these other "intellectual dark-web" types cling to the idea of cancel culture because it helps them, in the end. It gives people a common cause to cling to long after the mainstream are done entertaining their ideas. Really no-one gets cancelled, "I've been cancelled" is just an obligatory lap people take now on their way from mainstream relevance to niche notoriety. And Rogan has been losing influence lately, to begin with. The Neil Young stuff probably brought more attention to his show than he's seen in a year or so.

It's weird. We as a country are so divided that I don't think he's losing much. He plays the middle but his core is right.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 05:40:30 AM by kingshmegland »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #163 on: February 03, 2022, 11:30:19 PM »
Really no-one gets cancelled, "I've been cancelled" is just an obligatory lap people take now on their way from mainstream relevance to niche notoriety. And Rogan has been losing influence lately, to begin with. The Neil Young stuff probably brought more attention to his show than he's seen in a year or so.
Yes, absolutely this.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: February 04, 2022, 12:06:05 AM »
Shit's getting serious

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #165 on: February 04, 2022, 03:39:32 AM »
 :rollin
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: February 04, 2022, 05:38:25 AM »
If it wasn't for the internet, I wouldn't hear about the Spotify issue either. No one at work or in every day life talks about it. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #167 on: February 04, 2022, 09:42:31 AM »
If it wasn't for the internet, I wouldn't hear about the Spotify issue either. No one at work or in every day life talks about it.
If it wasn't for the internet, there would be no Spotify!   :facepalm:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: February 04, 2022, 09:53:57 AM »

You're missing the point. This usually makes the news on both CNN & Fox or local TV on multiple shows. I haven't seen much on it besides on the internet.  Just seemed weird to me.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #169 on: February 04, 2022, 09:58:55 AM »
I've seen it on the news.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online nick_z

« Reply #170 on: February 04, 2022, 10:11:46 AM »
Shit's getting serious

That's hilarious  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: February 04, 2022, 10:15:25 AM »

You're missing the point. This usually makes the news on both CNN & Fox or local TV on multiple shows. I haven't seen much on it besides on the internet.  Just seemed weird to me.

It's been all over the news and they have a reason to put it out there, with a negative take on Rogan, because he is killing them in veiwership.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: February 04, 2022, 10:32:01 AM »
I've seen it on the news.

I've missed it. Must be watching at the wrong times then. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #173 on: February 05, 2022, 09:01:19 AM »

In my circles it got talked about a lot. But that could be because men my age and younger (mid twenties to low thirties) are his main audience demographic.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: February 07, 2022, 07:58:39 AM »
Bruce Dickinson mentioned it at least twice in his spoken word thing this past Saturday.  Both times in passing, and both times as a sort of snide joke.