Author Topic: QUEEN Discography- MONTREAL '81 in theaters near you  (Read 68619 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: QUEEN Discography- A KNIGHT at the Opera....
« Reply #1505 on: March 21, 2023, 12:35:55 PM »
Okay, I recognize the King (still sounds kinda weird to say that) and of course Brian May, but who is the lady in the black hat?

(and yeah, she does kinda look like Dee Snider in that one picture)

I think it's Brian's wife.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1506 on: March 21, 2023, 01:01:12 PM »
Okay, I recognize the King (still sounds kinda weird to say that) and of course Brian May, but who is the lady in the black hat?

That's Anita Dobson, famous actress in her own right, and Brian's wife since around 2000 or so.   

(And that was the whole basis of the joke; it was in that ONE PICTURE, which didn't really look like her to me.  She's actually very classy and very attractive in most of the pictures I've seen of her.  I'm deeply sorry if I offended anyone.)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1507 on: March 21, 2023, 01:13:59 PM »

That's Anita Dobson, famous actress in her own right, and Brian's wife since around 2000 or so.   

(And that was the whole basis of the joke; it was in that ONE PICTURE, which didn't really look like her to me.  She's actually very classy and very attractive in most of the pictures I've seen of her.  I'm deeply sorry if I offended anyone.)

Stads,.....you saved your axe on that one ;)  Oh, and Orbert.... well  :censored   ;)

I am going to have to dig for the pix of her with me and the wife from '02 and '04, but in the meantime, here is one of her and Brian in the late 80s

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN Discography- Cobo Hall, Detroit '78 added (incomplete, but worth it)
« Reply #1508 on: March 26, 2023, 12:18:17 PM »
Thanks to TAC for the info of part of this concert being made available just a couple of days ago

Cobo Hall, Detroit November 9th or 10th  Attendance: 11,000 +  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXNtDBxAdwo  Grade: A to A+ (other than a slightly harsh cut after TYMD to SHA)

Tie Your Mother Down  Encores:  Sheer Heart Attack / We Will Rock You / We Are The Champions / God Save The Queen

The second release this year of a Detroit show (SHA Tour '75 being the first).  Freddie's voice is a bit off at times (read the review below), but 'so what!'  (plus, he's incorrect in stating that only two songs were performed on the mini drop down stage).   This has the first complete playing of 'Sheer Heart Attack, as a shortened version was always performed during the NOTW tour and prior 'Jazz' shows.

"Thank you.  Goodnight.    See you soon, Detroit."    This gave me goosebumps, as I would see them in Detroit less than two years later! :tup

These shows took place on Thursday and Friday nights. On Saturday, they'd perform at Wings Stadium in Kalamazoo, ...my favorite concert of all time.  So this tape is extra extra special.

https://www.queenlive.ca/queen/reviews/78-11-09_Detroit_review.jpg

(Pasted in page 15 of this discography   https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57201.490)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 12:25:19 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN Discography- concert bootleg links removed
« Reply #1509 on: April 19, 2023, 10:27:51 AM »
Back when the Detroit Cobo Hall '78 segment was uploaded by Ryan Newton near the end of March, he said it would be his last upload.

Well, since then.....he has shut his channel down!  https://www.youtube.com/@ryannewton1202

Which means....  99% OF THE CONCERT LINKS POSTED IN THIS THREAD NO LONGER WORK!

Just..... EFF ME  >:( :censored  :angry: :tdwn

Guess I should have downloaded all the ones I wanted to save at the time of my posts.   :sad:

Greg Barnes has been a long time poster of concert bootlegs, with the songs broken down into individual tracks (I prefer to keep the medleys and WWRY/WATC/GSTQ each as a single track due to the occasional harsh transitions).  No idea if many of the upgrades that were on Ryan Newton's page are included

https://www.youtube.com/@Gregsynthbootlegs/playlists
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 11:36:28 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN Discography- attention Ted Lasso (and Brian May) fans
« Reply #1510 on: May 30, 2023, 10:52:19 AM »
Near the end of the penultimate 'Ted Lasso' episode was a song called 'Fought & Lost' by Sam Ryder.

Not played was the instrumental and an additional chorus.  The full version includes the unmistakable 'Red Special' and Brian on BVs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtQBKRgmyVc

The single was released last week.

There were other 'Queen' bits through the show:  of Rebeccah's uncle having attended Ealing College with Freddie, of 'Fat Bottomed Girls' having been suggested years earlier as a Richmond fight song (though 'Don't Stop Me Now' would have made more sense), and then the playing of FBG as the team departs after their big win over Manchester City.  Made a fun episode even more enjoyable in this household.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN Discography- new concert youtube page
« Reply #1511 on: October 04, 2023, 10:15:39 AM »
Ryan Newton's Queen concert page shut down months ago.  It was like a gut punch to me, losing all the links that were posted throughout this discography (as well as all of the superb commentary throughout). 

I found this individual's account a while back, and just have never posted it.

MILES FERNANDO

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4A5EY_jw2aNBiF1sI-L_w3_iAfoJZcDT

video
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4A5EY_jw2aPQV58ddrKAjRwIfFDiAT1y

So, for those who are interested, here you go.

btw...Brian released a nice treasure trove of demos from his 'Starfleet Project' months ago.  I still haven't received my Amazon order.   :tdwn  I could always listen to it on Spotify   https://open.spotify.com/album/4P8zihOMmBazpiqcsLYuEP     but I'm hoping it arrives when I get back from a vacation. 

EVH fans might be interested in some of these unheard demos as well.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1512 on: October 08, 2023, 01:14:36 PM »
There's been a run of 1975 Japan shows on Dime this past week.

No samples so no idea on the quality.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1513 on: January 25, 2024, 07:46:12 PM »
Well, it's been a while... 

and though this perhaps would be best on the 'Queen' thread, 'Queen Montreal' was shown throughout the States last weekend.  Due to popular demand (Surprise! Surprise!  ;))  it is showing again this weekend, and next (depending on location)

https://www.queeninimax.com/

The history of 'THE' hottest band in the world at the time :tup

QUEEN ROCK MONTREAL

Released:  October 2007 UK (EMI / Parlophone)as a double CD, Blu-ray, DVD, and triple vinyl in the UK and the following day in the US

Charts for the CD sales:
UK #20, Portugal #22, Germany #17, Austria #25, Italy #27, Switzerland #27, Spain #35, Netherlands #54, Belgium #62, Ireland #88

2008:   
Mexico #73

Certifications:  Gold in Australia
DVD Charts:
Italy #1, Portugal #1, Sweden #1, Belgium #3, Denmark #3, Austria #4, New Zealand #8, Australia #9

Norway #2

Certifications:
Gold in Australia and Switzerland
Platinum in Argentina, Germany, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, UK

2x Platinum in USA, Canada

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFie0kyu9cs&t=25s

Intro/ We Will Rock You (fast) / Let Me Entertain You / Play The Game / Somebody To Love / Killer Queen / I'm In Love With My Car / Get Down, Make Love / Save Me / Now I'm Here - Dragon Attack - Now I'm Here (reprise) / Love Of My Life / Under Pressure / Keep Yourself Alive / Drum Solo / Guitar Solo / Flash / The Hero / Crazy Little Thing Called Love / Jailhouse Rock / Bohemian Rhapsody / Tie Your Mother Down
Encore 1: Another One Bites The Dust / Sheer Heart Attack   Encore 2: We Will Rock You / We Are The Champions / God Save The Queen
The DVD does not contain ‘Flash’ and ‘The Hero’.  Footage was tossed aside.  Fortunately, when Queen bought out the rights, they did include them on the CD release. 

Freddie (and the band) had gotten annoyed at the cameras and such.  They were to wear the same outfits each night at the same points. Well, he wore something entirely different for the one night they played 'Jailhouse Rock', so it was placed after CLTCL, when it was actually played before WWRY.

These would be the final performances of 'Let Me Entertain You', 'I'm In Love With My Car', and 'Flash' (which would be used as the pre-recorded opening music in '82). 'Killer Queen' and 'Keep Yourself Alive' would be dropped as well, but revived in 1984.

These are the final live performances of Queen as a four-piece band. All subsequent tours would have an additional on keyboards and occasional guitar.

At this point in their career, Queen were arguably the biggest band in the UK, becoming the first artists to simultaneously top the album charts (with Greatest Hits), singles charts (with Under Pressure), and video charts (with Greatest Flix).

But.....what goes up, must inevitably come down.  For Queen, that would not take long.  But for this night, it's generally well edited (other than the always close ups during BoRhap), the intro with the 'fly swatter' lighting rig is well captured, along with so many other various moments.  A great show, with only a few overdubs, and a great video documentary of the band at the end of their most successful era. 

(a much better cover for Montreal would have been....)

« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 07:53:01 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: QUEEN Discography- MONTREAL '81 in theaters near you
« Reply #1514 on: January 26, 2024, 06:27:27 AM »
I got this on Blu-ray for Christmas one year, and it's still one of my favorite concert videos.  I've always liked Queen, but for me a lot of their music just doesn't work well in a live setting.  On the studio versions, it's all so perfect and sounds so glorious.  Live is practically a different genre.  But there are definitely some Queen songs that do work well in a live setting, and a lot of them are right here.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #1515 on: January 27, 2024, 03:56:18 AM »
I got this BD the first day when it came out years ago. It is still one of the best concert BDs in my collection.

Speaking of QUEEN ROCK MONTREAL, did you all get tickets to watch the IMAX version last weekend? I originally got a ticket for the Thursday night show, but with my luck, I got ill and had a fever and had to skip it. Worst yet, I got an email from the theater later that afternoon saying the show was cancelled, due to their heating system malfunctioning. Talk about the gods don't want me to see it in IMAX  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1516 on: February 02, 2024, 08:04:16 AM »
It's run here has been extended a couple more weeks.  Saw it Wednesday night with the wife.  FAB U LOUS on the big screen.  And that SOUND!  :tup

I always wish I could reedit most concert videos.  I want to see the band, and the lighting rig (which was superb as always for these shows, and not just the lead guitarist's fingernails during a solo.  Or just Freddie's face.  That said....it was a worth while experience.....   :D

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1517 on: February 02, 2024, 03:02:45 PM »
I saw it too. I watched this a million times, of course, but it was amazing to see all the same.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise