Author Topic: QUEEN Discography- MONTREAL '81 in theaters near you  (Read 68620 times)

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN Discography- 2017 release
« Reply #1470 on: December 31, 2022, 06:36:09 AM »

NEWS OF THE WORLD   40th Anniversary Edition

Released:  2017, UK (Island), USA (Hollywood)

Charts:
Portugal #22

Italy #95, Belgium #98

of course, the original sold and charted much higher.  Details on Page 12  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57201.385

The original write up for this release   Page 13    https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57201.420 

In 2017 came the release of some long awaited gems in one package (albeit overpriced).  It included the vinyl, the 2011 remastered CD, a DVD ('The American Dream' about their USA tour), and two bonus discs (demos sessions and BBC session offerings :tup)

DISC ONE
2011 remaster of the original album

DISC TWO: Raw Sessions 
We Will Rock You (Alterative Version)   2:26 / We Are the Champions (Alternative Version) 4:33 / Sheer Heart Attack (Original Rough Mix)   4:17 /
All Dead, All Dead (Original Rough Mix) 3:08 / Spread Your Wings (Alternative Take)  4:56 / Fight from the Inside (Demo Vocal Version) 3:08
Get Down, Make Love (Early Take) 4:02 / Sleeping on the Sidewalk (Live in Boston, '77) 3:49 / Who Needs You (Acoustic Take) 2:49 /
It's Late (Alternative Version) 6:44 / My Melancholy Blues (Original Rough Mix)3:36

AUDIO  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-bzqylNf08&list=PL-sj4xR8SOmOHMY5KfsqykZgrxRfXxrl5 

*  Here is a  fan made hybrid mix of 'All Dead, All Dead'....first with Freddie's LVs, then Brian's to finish.  Quite enjoyable as I enjoy both in a haunting way.  The lyrics and guitar always make me think of the album cover for some odd reason    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyv0nMju_1w

DISC THREE
Feelings Feelings (demo) / We Will Rock You (BBC) / We Will Rock You (Fast) (BBC) / Spread Your Wings (BBC) / It's Late (BBC) / My Melancholy Blues (BBC) / 7.   We Will Rock You (Backing Track) / We Are the Champions (Backing Track) / Spread Your Wings (Instrumental)   / Fight from the Inside (Instrumental) /
Get Down, Make Love (Instrumental) / It's Late (USA Radio Edit 1978) / Sheer Heart Attack (Paris '79) /    We Will Rock You (Fast) (Tokorozawa, Nov '82) /
My Melancholy Blues (Houston '77) / Get Down, Make Love (Montreal Nov '81) / Spread Your Wings (Europe '79) / We Will Rock You (Milton Keynes '82) /
We Are the Champions (Milton Keynes '82)

What the 2011 reissue should have been (music-wise).  Again, I don't know why live material is used from other tours (WWRY / WATC from '82?)  And, there are good/superb versions of 'It's Late' available.  It's great to hear Freddie on piano during the instrumental section.  As is, this was a real treat overall. 

A lot of goodies as to pictures and write ups were available (ultimatequeen.co.uk  studio albums)

« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 01:26:23 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN Discography- 2018 releases
« Reply #1471 on: December 31, 2022, 06:36:32 AM »

BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY: The Original Soundtrack   

Released: October 19, 2018, UK (Virgin/EMI), USA (Hollywood Records)

Charts: UK #3, US Top Rock Albums #1, US Billboard
#1 in Australia, Czechoslavakia, Greece, Japan, Mexico,
#2 in Ireland, Lithuania, New Zealand, Spain, Switzerland
#3 in Belgium, Canada, Italy, Portugal
#4 in Netherlands, Poland, Scotland
Belgium #5, Austria #6, France #7, Germany #8, Hungary #10, Denmark #11, Norway #14, Finland #19, Sweden #21

Certifications: Platinum in UK, Gold in USA
Gold in Belgium, Canada, and South Korea
Platinum in Denmark, Japan, and Spain
2x Platinum in Australia, Italy, and Poland
3x Platinum in France

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohemian_Rhapsody:_The_Original_Soundtrack

20th Century Fox Fanfare
Somebody to Love
Doing All Right... Revisited (Performed by Smile)
Keep Yourself Alive (Rainbow, London, March 1974)
Killer Queen
Fat Bottomed Girls (Paris, 1979)
Bohemian Rhapsody
Now I'm Here (Hammersmith Odeon, London, December 1975)
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Love of My Life (Rock in Rio, January 1985)
We Will Rock You (Movie Mix)
Another One Bites the Dust
I Want to Break Free (Single Remix/Soundtrack Edit)
Under Pressure
Who Wants to Live Forever

Live Aid, Wembley Stadium
Bohemian Rhapsody (Reprise)
Radio Ga Ga
Ay-Oh
Hammer to Fall
We Are the Champions
Don't Stop Me Now... Revisited
The Show Must Go On (edit)

Let’s include those well known songs, ‘Fat Bottomed Girls’ and ‘Now I’m Here’ (more revenue for Brian) instead of ‘Stone Cold Crazy’ and ‘You’re My Best Friend (less for John) and ‘Crazy Little Thing Called Love’ 'and 'We Will Rock You' should have been in the ‘Live Aid’ set.  Uhh  duh  and remove 'Hammer To Fall'..
no brainer

It’s still enjoyable to hear the 20th Century theme on the Red Special, ‘Don’t Stop Me Now’ was nice, and I enjoyed so many moments in that movie.  I’m glad I knew most of the mistakes going in, as it was a shame it was soooooooooooooooo chronologically wrong >:( >:( >:( :censored :censored :censored  and poorly written. 

I tried watching it again when it was on HBO, caught it about halfway through, and watched about ten minutes and that was enough.

Still, what you have on this disc has many songs with different versions, so if you want a change of pace, it's worth a listen.

Speaking of which....I recorded copies for a few friends as holiday gifts back then.  I also just realized that....I've never listened to this. :lol :lol

« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 07:53:40 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN Discography- 2019 releases
« Reply #1472 on: December 31, 2022, 06:36:50 AM »

FREDDIE MERCURY   NEVER BORING

Released: October 11, 2019, Europe (Mercury), USA (Hollywood)

Charts: UK #18
Scotland #6, Switzerland #9, Spain #10, Austria #21, Germany #23, Japan #29, Poland #32, Belgium #37, Italy #50, Netherlands #54, Belgium #62, Czechoslavakia #75, France #164

3 CD set and DVD.  The three discs were 'Never Boring' along with his two studio LPs:  'Mr. Bad Guy' and 'Barcelona'. All three discs were also issued individually on CD, vinyl, digital and streaming services.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Boring

NEVER BORING
The Great Pretender *
I Was Born to Love You *
Barcelona (2012 Orchestrated Version)
In My Defence (2000 Remix)
Love Kills *
How Can I Go On (2012 Orchestrated Single Version)
Love Me Like There's No Tomorrow *
Living on My Own (1993 Radio Mix)
The Golden Boy (2012 Orchestrated Single Edit)
Time Waits for No One
She Blows Hot and Cold *
Made in Heaven *

* special edition versions

DVD
The Great Pretender
Living on My Own
Barcelona
I Was Born to Love You
Time Waits for No One
In My Defence
Living on My Own (Radio Mix)
The Golden Boy (La Nit performance, Barcelona)
How Can I Go On (La Nit performance, Barcelona)
Barcelona (La Nit performance, Barcelona)

I kept finding these rehashed money grabs 'always boring'....so the title is quite ironic.  Yet more 'revised' versions of some songs released, and yet...
some how, some way, it generally sells!!!   :huh: 

Here's one example, 'Time Waits For No One':  let's slightly retitle it, slightly remix it for the third....no,.....fourth time.  And it will get 25 MILLION VIEWS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGjt291COa0  I heard it when it was released.  Some day I might look around for that one disc to check out the differences in the other songs.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 01:28:50 AM by DragonAttack »

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN Discography- 2020 releases
« Reply #1473 on: December 31, 2022, 06:37:12 AM »

GREATEST HITS IN JAPAN

Released: 15 January 15, 2020,  Japan (Universal)

Charts:
Japan #7, France #129

Somebody To Love
Don't Stop Me Now
Teo Torriatte (Let Us Cling Together)
Spread Your Wings
Killer Queen
The Show Must Go On
Bohemian Rhapsody
'39
The March of the Black Queen
Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy
Keep Yourself Alive
Radio Ga Ga

per wiki:  "As part of their "Rhapsody Tour", Queen + Adam Lambert returned to Japan in January 2020. To mark the occasion, a compilation album was released, featuring twelve Queen songs voted for by Japanese fans.

The voting took place through an online form via a special section on Queen's official Japanese website from 6 to 25 November 2019, where, as a general rule, fans residing in the country were invited to cast their votes for their favourite song by Queen from their 15 original studio albums under the one-person-one-vote principle. All participants were required to choose only one song to vote for from the list of 172 tracks in total.

In total there were 11,988 voters. The CD version of the album was exclusive to Japan, while the digital version was available worldwide. The limited-edition CD also included a DVD including music videos of the 12 songs on the album."

Sounds like a DTF KevShmev countdown to me!  :lol

There is also a DVD version that is shorter but contains the same tracklisting, but with three alternate versions, namely 'Teo Torriatte (Let Us Cling Together)'
(Seibu Lions Stadium, Tokyo, November 1982), 'The March Of The Black Queen' (recorded at the Hammersmith Odeon, London, December 1975) and 'Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy' (recorded for 'Top Of The Pops'). The remaining tracks are the usual promo videos, apart from 'Bohemian Rhapsody', which is the alternate 'flames' video. The DVD features a simple silent menu, with links to Play All or select a song, with no credits.

They could have had 15 songs, since there was time.  But......Hey, 'The March Of The Black Queen' finally made it onto a 'greatest hits' compilation! :tup :lol  And....as silly as this all was, it made it into the Top Ten in Japan.  The brand still sells..........

« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 01:31:51 AM by DragonAttack »

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN Discography- 2020 releases
« Reply #1474 on: December 31, 2022, 06:37:29 AM »

QUEEN + ADAM LAMBERT  Live Around The World

Released:  October 2, 2020  UK (EMI), US (Hollywood)

Charts:  UK #1, US Top Rock Albums #5
Australia #1, Scotland #1, Portugal #3, New Zealand #4, Germany #5, Switzerland #5, Austria #6, Netherlands #6, Japan #10, Belgium #13, Finland #14, Hungary #14, Poland #17, Spain #20, Ireland #22, Italy #23, Denmark #28, France #56, Czechoslavakia #61

Certifications:  Silver in UK

More details on Page 41  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57201.1400

« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 08:38:41 AM by DragonAttack »

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN Discography- 2022 release
« Reply #1475 on: December 31, 2022, 06:38:08 AM »

THE MIRACLE  Collector’s Edition

Write up for the original release in '89 on Page 31  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57201.1050
https://www.queenonlinestore.com/Queen/The-Miracle/-The-Miracle-Super-Deluxe-Collector-s-Edition-8-Disc/7I9I1UK730R

DISC ONE  Bob Ludwig 2011 Remaster
    Party
    Khashoggi's Ship
    The Miracle
    I Want It All
    The Invisible Man
    Breakthru
    Rain Must Fall
    Scandal
    My Baby Does Me
    Was It All Worth It

DISC TWO The Miracle Sessions
    Party (Original Take)
    Khashoggi’s Ship (Original Take)
    The Miracle (Original Take With John’s Ending)
    I Want It All (Original Take)
    The Invisible Man (Early Version With Guide Vocal)
    When Love Breaks Up (Demo)
    Breakthru (Real Drums And Bass)
    Rain Must Fall (Demo)
    Scandal (Original Rough Mix)
    My Baby Loves Me
    Was It All Worth It (Original Take)
    You Know You Belong To Me
    I Guess We’re Falling Out (Demo)
    Dog With A Bone
    Water (Demo)
    Face It Alone

DISC THREE  Alternative Miracle
    I Want It All (Single Version)
    Hang On In There [B-Side]
    Breakthru (” Version)
    Stealin’ [B-Side]
    The Invisible Man (” Version)
    Hijack My Heart [B-Side]
    Scandal (” Version)
    My Life Has Been Saved [B-Side]
    Stone Cold Crazy (Live At The Rainbow, London ') [B-Side]
    My Melancholy Blues (Live At Houston, Texas ’) [B-Side]
    Chinese Torture [Instrumental]

DISC FOUR  Miracu-mentals (Backing Tracks)
    Party *
    Khashoggi's Ship
    The Miracle
    I Want It All
    The Invisible Man
    Breakthru
    Rain Must Fall
    Scandal
    My Baby Does Me
    Was It All Worth It
         *instrumental

DISC FIVE   The Miracle Interviews
    Queen For An Hour (Trailer)
    Queen For An Hour (Roger, John, Freddie & Brian with Mike Read)
    Queen For An Hour (Out-takes)
    Rockline (Brian & Roger with Bob Coburn)

DVD / BLU-RAY - The Miracle Promo Videos
    I Want It All
    Breakthru
    The Invisible Man
    Scandal
    The Miracle
    The Miracle Interviews (Interviews with Roger, Brian and John on the set of the Breakthru film shoot in June , by Gavin Taylor. John has given no further
          interviews since that day)
    The Making of the Miracle Videos
    The Making of The Miracle album cover

VINYL LP   The Miracle - The Long Lost Original LP Cut
    Party
    Khashoggi's Ship
    The Miracle
    I Want It All
    Too Much Love Will Kill You
    The Invisible Man

Breakthru
    Rain Must Fall
    Scandal
    My Baby Does Me
    Was It All Worth It

I will say we enjoyed the hell out of the demos.  The highlights:  I liked 'Party' for the first time EVER. 'I Want It All' was interesting to hear the instrumental at the END of the song. I had heard the 'When Love Breaks Up' demo eons ago (the 'Breakthru' intro) but not this polished.  'Was It All Worth It' was worth the purchase alone, to hear it 'raw' without all the bells and whistles thrown in later.  The rest have lots of Brian guitar, real drums by Roger, John's bass sounds superb, and Freddie...well, knowing what lay in store and what he was going through, is just FRICKIN' AMAZING!  And...they're all having fun, and sound like a damn rock band.  No idea what happened between these sessions and the studio versions. A bit too polished.

The 'new' unreleased polished demos were 'OK'. There's so many more that could have been polished, such as the twelve minute 'Stealin''....they should have done them all and released them.  I had heard 'I Guess We're Falling Out' before, but not with the 'Hang On In There' ending attached.

Oh, and they could have easily added the four nonalbum B-sides onto the studio CD.  Now THAT would have just made too much sense.

As is....a very worth while experience !

Oh, and WTH, we couldn't resist buying this along with it.... :lol)

« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 01:51:06 AM by DragonAttack »

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN Discography- 2022 releases
« Reply #1476 on: December 31, 2022, 09:05:39 AM »
and .....with that....as to the QUEEN 'band' discography  ....

Right, Tim?  :lol :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: QUEEN Discography- 2022 release The Miracle Box Set
« Reply #1477 on: December 31, 2022, 12:43:24 PM »
Amazing Joe. Seriously. Thank you so much for this thread. Wow, what a resource.

I'm glad you covered the Paul Rogers and Adam Lambert eras as you did. I'll definitely be going back to check those out, especially the Ukraine show.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DTwwbwMP

Re: QUEEN Discography- 2022 releases
« Reply #1478 on: December 31, 2022, 10:27:52 PM »
and .....with that....as to the QUEEN 'band' discography  ....

Right, Tim?  :lol :lol

Awesome job! :tup

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1479 on: January 01, 2023, 01:38:56 AM »
Yeah, seriously awesome job. Thanks for doing this.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1480 on: January 01, 2023, 08:24:56 AM »
Amazing thread and follow, thank you!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1481 on: January 01, 2023, 10:26:08 PM »
Wow, that was a hell of a thread!  Great job!  :tup

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1482 on: January 03, 2023, 08:43:32 AM »
Really, really great work here.  I enjoyed the heck out of it!

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1483 on: January 04, 2023, 01:09:45 PM »
^
Thank you all for the 'thank you's'  :tup :heart

I still have Brian's and Roger's offerings for the century, but that will have to wait until I finally see my unofficial grandson (great nephew) for the first time this weekend in Vegas for his first birthday (born almost three months premature). 

Boy, did life get in the way of this thread.  My S-I-L and husband sold their home and moved out there to be with their grandson and son and daughter-in-law.  We helped box, paint, etc their old house.  For a month, we thought we were going to sell our home, and did beaucoup amount of updates.  Then Mrs. DA's 'situation'. And a best friend's wife, and my best friend, and.....so on and so on.

And....  I fell into the rabbit hole of doing almost all the darn links for the youtube concerts that had been uploaded during the last couple of years (nothing like a Queen concert, and remember 'Never miss the beginning of a Queen concert!'  :D ) Unlike TAC (yes, he is a smart one ;)), he started his UFO discography research months in advance.  This one started the day after I made my first post  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I'll thank him yet again for encouragement throughout behind the scenes, as well as telling me about sizing jpegs, and the imgur.com site (as all my Fbook Messenger pics would end up with a different address, and the pic would disappear weeks later  :censored :censored :censored).  Oh, and for his Spotify numbers.  Perhaps he followed along, as his wife, always the smartest one :lol is a big Queen fan! 

Trivial:  for this century, there were approximately 46 official releases, either worldwide, UK/Europe, North America, or Japan.

Add five Freddie releases.

Oh....and let's not forget that some of these came in various forms:  CD, CD and DVD, vinyl, 2 CD and 3 vinyl, etc etc

And....all fifteen studio LPs and two 'Greatest Hits' were reissued in 2011 on CD (with bonus discs). 

And...all fifteen studio LPs were re-released on vinyl within the past five years, 'The Platinum Collection' was rereleased on colored vinyl last year, and then there was........  it goes on, and on, and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on.......

I'll add some additional stuff here later tonight, but two things first: 

I've listed  https://www.queenlive.ca/  as 'the bible' for Queen concerts.  I donated to his website for his years of work.  I got an Anita Dobson 'Talking Of Love' disc just from asking :) :tup 

Ryan Newton, for all of those updated audio concerts on youtube (or, perhaps I should  :sad: because of all the extra work he created for me ;).  Can't wait to finally listen to more of them this year.

There's Martin at   https://www.queenconcerts.com/

And  finally

http://www.ultimatequeen.co.uk/

If you want to see 99% of what the cover art is for the LPs, CDs, and DVDs front and back covers, , this is the place.  As well as the CDs, CD booklets, booklets, vinyl inner sleeves, etc.  This site also includes the solo releases.   :tup  I had problems in the beginning with putting up the artwork, but finally managed.

oh, and of course, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_(band)  discography and tours

I also had to laugh at getting this book for the holidays....AFTER I'd finished the discography! :lol

"In this new installment in Voyageur Press’s Album by Album series, rock journalist Martin Popoff convenes a cast of 19 Queen experts and superfans to discuss all 15 of the band’s studio albums (including their soundtrack for the 1980 film Flash Gordon). Panelists include Queen experts, rock journalists, musicians, and record industry figures. The results are freewheeling discussions delving into the individual songs, the circumstances that surrounded the recording of each album, the band and contemporary rock contexts into which they were released, and more."

Those commenting on various albums include Queen expert Jim Jenkins, Reinhold Mack, Chris Caffery (Savatage), David Ellefson (Megadeth) , Hansi Kursch (Blind Guardian), Ian Mosley (Marillion), Patrick Myers (tribute band Killer Queen), Daniel Nester (writer and super fan that we've met), Nina Noir (female tribute band Killer Queen) Darius Rucker (Hootie & The Blowfish), Dee Snider (Twisted Sister), and Sir Paul McCartney (Wings, and some band before Wings ;)).

https://www.amazon.com/Queen-Album-Martin-Popoff/dp/0760362831

(with my usual gripe....if it's a 'Queen' book or album, then show the damn band. :censored)

and this for our anniversary :D  (also album by album, with tour info included)

Lots of photographs throughout these two books I had not seen before, with good/great discussion and insights throughout.  Some omissions, but overall, they are very good reads.

The timing could have been better: "Nice to close the barn doors after the cows got out"

I'll close by telling everyone yet again to check out 'The Miracle' demos, along with 'I Guess We're Falling Out'.  And turn it UP!!! :tup  We just listened to it on the home stereo, at about volume 7 (neighbors, ya know).  All the interesting initial lyrics, the 'Leroy Brown' intro to 'I Want It All' and the instrumental at the end (my wife gasped when it wasn't in it's final location), and, again....  'Was It All Worth It'!!!   :metal :hefdaddy :tup 

Maybe this is a 'Frankensteined' demo package (the lyric appears in Track Two), but their rock n roll roots truly shine on this!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 02:24:57 PM by DragonAttack »

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN Discography- RIP Jeff Beck
« Reply #1484 on: January 14, 2023, 08:45:34 AM »
RIP  Jeff Beck

In '98, Jeff played guitar on one of Brian's songs from the 'Another World' LP titled 'The Guv'nor', in reference to Jeff (the LP reissue will get mentioned here soon)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WA_ot1Lmkk

In 2011, Jeff and Roger performed for an event called 'A Picnic Concert By The Chapel On A Lake'.  This was in Surrey, England.  Surrey College is where Queen's very first concert performance took place 50+ years earlier

'Say It's Not True'   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgSdnHXpiT4

'People Get Ready'   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgSdnHXpiT4

and just Jeff  'Nessum Dorma'   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP1yyRb-_IU

Beck also played on Roger's 'Fun On Earth' LP, released in 2013 (that LP as well will get mentioned here soon).

from a Freddie 65th birthday bash in 2011 (hence the one fake mustache).  Roger's son Rufus is the youngster pictured.

And finally, we have the now Sir Brian May, along with Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, and Jeff Beck meeting Queen Elizabeth. I do not know when this took place (only the Queen has gray hair, so it was many years ago)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDDZf_NoN7s

(and the much needed captions of the conversation afterwards    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYeue0EiXgE)

She must have spent less than five seconds doing research beforehand.

“Are you a guitarist as well?” :facepalm:  :lol :lol
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 08:52:29 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #1485 on: January 17, 2023, 04:48:59 PM »
RIP  Jeff Beck

:metal :tup :hefdaddy

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1486 on: January 23, 2023, 12:50:40 PM »
^
Indeed.  And....I came across a few items where Brian and Jeff appeared together (though didn't play together) during this century.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN Discography- New and upgraded QUEEN concerts
« Reply #1487 on: January 23, 2023, 12:59:49 PM »
QUEEN  updated concerts

Before I 'briefly'  ;) list all of Brian’s and Roger’s collaborations and LPs from 2003 onwards, I’m inserting this note as to recently made available concerts (and upgrades) for those who are interested. 

Five new or upgraded shows have surfaced over the past couple of  months.  When I become aware of newly released or upgraded shows, I’ll post them as I move along, as well as give a reference to the appropriate page on the discography.  On those pages, I will then make note of the edit and revise the information.  I'm posting three of the shows here for now.

Also, with kind permission granted, I plan on inserting DTwwww… ‘Mike’s’ comments from his various Queen shows he attended into my original posts.  That will always be a WIP as well.

....this never ending fight..... :D

That said...

Toledo Sports Arena, Toledo, Ohio,  January 30th, 1977    Attendance: 6,500    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP3_nN7ByTg&t=2s   Quality: B

The first recording of this concert surfaced a little over a year ago, but it was only the first half of the show as the taper’s batteries ran out. This is a second source that is much more complete, but is missing the second encore.

Inserted on Page 10  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57201.315

I saw the Queen / Thin Lizzy concert eight days earlier in Kalamazoo.  A C+ Richfield Coliseum recording from the next night exists, but this is leaps and bounds above that.  A pity that Kzoo tape has never seen the light of day, but this helps make up for that one still collecting dust.

Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto, February 1st, 1977   Attendance: 16,500   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfI_hb5oAbc   Quality: B+

Queen’s first performance ever in Toronto.  Only ‘Now I’m Here’ is missing.  Added to Page 10

The Montreal Forum, Montreal,  July 21st, 1982     Attendance: 18,000   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJkWvEeRCWM&t=1152s  Quality: A

This is a new transfer of the Montreal 82 recording, kindly put out by The Real Wizard.  ( www.queenlive.ca )  Here are his original notes: "This is a merge of both audience sources to best complete the show. Dare I say this is now the definitive document from the North American leg of the Hot Space tour !? Thanks to onedunpark, Brian's Wig, manymilesaway, and riku for their part in getting these tapes out there.

(another source is used for TYMD to make the concert complete)  A definite upgrade!  :tup

Original post Page 21     https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57201.700

« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 01:56:39 PM by DragonAttack »

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1488 on: January 24, 2023, 05:24:03 AM »
the two additional concerts....

Ford Auditorium Detroit,  February 10th, 1975   Attendance: 2,900  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8dfDGp2E4Q  Quality: B/C

NEW!   This is now the earliest recording from 1975. 

Their first show in Detroit, and I couldn't go because it was a Monday school night.   >:(  Kansas guitarist Rich Williams recalls playing their opening set to constant boos and shouts for Queen.

The master of this tape was damaged, but The Real Wizard and friends did their best to make those minutes somewhat bearable.

The band is a bit sloppy in parts, but Freddie is in top shape though and sounds fantastic.

Of note:  The band perform 'See What a Fool I've Been' as a final encore after the tape of 'God Save The Queen'....the first and only time they would play a song after the tape.

Inserted on Page 5   https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57201.msg2863773#msg2863773

UPGRADE
Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto, November 21st, 1977  Attendance: 16,500   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ2DjQZGS7c  Quality: A-/B+

Upgrade from a tape first made available in 2021, merged with a new one from two months ago.
Given that the band didn't play 'Spread Your Wings' or 'It's Late' when Mike Millard saw them a month later in Long Beach, this tape features the highest-quality versions of those songs from this tour thus far.

Page 13   https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57201.msg2877725#msg2877725

Online Azyiu

« Reply #1489 on: January 31, 2023, 01:50:07 PM »
Of note:  The band perform 'See What a Fool I've Been' as a final encore after the tape of 'God Save The Queen'....the first and only time they would play a song after the tape.

That sounds so spontaneous. These days, you just KNOW there will be an encore. I am NOT against encores, rather many artists pretend they are spontaneous or they take more than several minutes to come out between the last song they just played and the start of the encore. I'd much rather they have an intermission in the middle, and then just play the second half of the show non-stop and call it a great night.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1490 on: February 12, 2023, 10:35:33 AM »
Sorry for the very delayed response.  I've come across a bunch of pix from the first North American Convention, the Walk of Fame, and the WWRY Vegas premiere buried away recently.  Rather melancholy seeing so many friends, acquaintances, and artists no longer with us.

Moving on.... I enjoy encores for what they are, and if the concert proper finale and encores are done 'properly' ;), add to the experience.  Queen did it right throughout their career (other than insering FWBF between WWRY and WATC during the Magic Tour).

For this Detroit '75 show (which is enjoyable to hear Freddie's greetings to Detroit in spite of the damaged tape, the problems dissipate after 'Son And Daughter'), it would be interesting to know why the band came back on stage after the GSTQ tape.  Generally, all the ceiling lights would come on after it was played.  Audible audience groans can be heard on those shows when the tape was left running.  For this concert, the audience is still cheering as loud as after the concert proper and the encore.  No idea what went on, why the band came back on stage, and then played 'See What A Fool I've Been', a non album B-side that maybe a handful in the audience had ever heard (and certainly not that version), for the only time in the States.

It wouldn't be played again until their shows in Japan the following April.... ( that we know of, as who knows what took place on some of those nights where no recordings exist)

Then again, as to 'God Save The Queen':  hey, you can call me naive, but back then, and I still remember hearing some people say after hearing the ANATO LP or walking out of the Saginaw '76 show.....   'what the hell are they playing 'My Country 'Tis Of Thee' for ?    :lol

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1491 on: March 14, 2023, 11:37:16 AM »
For the upcoming Queen countdown, I updated this thread by listing their discography on the first page.  It should provide a helpful guide to anyone to find the pages for each album.

And since I've written down most of Brian's and Roger's releases for this century, I'll finally pull the trigger and start adding those here, now that life is calming down, taxes are done, and TAC's roulette is winding down ;)

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1492 on: March 17, 2023, 07:59:43 AM »
This past Tuesday....  A Knight at the Opera

« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 12:52:23 PM by DragonAttack »

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN Discography- A KNIGHT at the Opera....
« Reply #1493 on: March 17, 2023, 08:10:18 AM »
Well deserved. Rise, Sir Brian May!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1494 on: March 17, 2023, 12:01:51 PM »
Why is Dee Snider there, wearing a black hat? 

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1495 on: March 17, 2023, 02:54:31 PM »
What a dick comment

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1496 on: March 17, 2023, 04:55:48 PM »
Stads can't help it, DA. He's always got the damned thing in his hand.

Congrats, Sir Brian--Knight of the Realm.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1497 on: March 18, 2023, 03:37:47 PM »
Love the wordplay in the thread title.  :tup
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1498 on: March 18, 2023, 03:50:38 PM »
Poor Brian May.

One of the most famous guitarists in the world? Responsible for some of the greatest rock hits in history? A literal astrophysicist? A knight?

Hopefully he'll catch a break some day.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1499 on: March 20, 2023, 06:28:19 AM »
What a dick comment

Meant in fun. I looked at the picture and that's who I thought of.   

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1500 on: March 21, 2023, 11:33:57 AM »
My wife and I will always remember just how she treated us like royalty for all of our work for the North American fans the two times that we were honored that she took the time to speak with us decades ago.  A charming and warm person. :heart :tup

Meanwhile...... :P

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1501 on: March 21, 2023, 11:49:20 AM »
Love the wordplay in the thread title.  :tup

As I wrote to you directly, I shamelessly stole the headline from news and Fbook posts.

Poor Brian May.

One of the most famous guitarists in the world? Responsible for some of the greatest rock hits in history? A literal astrophysicist? A knight?

Hopefully he'll catch a break some day.

And....to think...he was so depressed in the 80s that he contemplated suicide.   :sad:  Music was an escape, and then he had to deal with all that was Freddie.  Afterwards, making music and having the adrenaline rush of headline touring, he lost Cozy.  Sucked the wind out of him. 

Wonder what he might have done this century if not for all that heartache.  As is, his collaborations were fairly good.  Some day, one day, I'll add those efforts here.

btw....Mrs. DA's second round of cancer tests were pretty good as of today.  No surgery for a change.   

CHEERS, MY DEARS!  :tup

« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 12:54:22 PM by DragonAttack »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1502 on: March 21, 2023, 12:03:12 PM »
Way to bury the lede!   Congratulations on Mrs. DA's good news. Let's hope that continues.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1503 on: March 21, 2023, 12:14:10 PM »
Way to bury the lede!   Congratulations on Mrs. DA's good news. Let's hope that continues.

Agreed! That is good news! :tup

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1504 on: March 21, 2023, 12:34:02 PM »
Okay, I recognize the King (still sounds kinda weird to say that) and of course Brian May, but who is the lady in the black hat?

(and yeah, she does kinda look like Dee Snider in that one picture)