Author Topic: QUEEN Discography- MONTREAL '81 in theaters near you  (Read 68639 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography - FREDDIE MERCURY & MONTSERRAT CABELLE -BARCELONA LP
« Reply #1050 on: September 07, 2022, 09:13:20 PM »
Daniel Simpson Day... has no grade point average.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1051 on: September 08, 2022, 01:29:46 AM »
I checked to see if Barcelona is on Spotify.

1. Barcelona....6m
2. La Japonaise....2m
3. The Fallen Priest....1.7m
4. Ensueno....1.7m
5. The Golden Boy....1.9m
6. Guide Me Home....3m
7. How Can I Go On....15.3m
8. Exercise In Free Love....1.5m
9. Overture Piccante...1.2m

Over twice as many as the title track? I've never heard of this song.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1052 on: September 08, 2022, 12:23:24 PM »
Ok..I think I'm caught up!

Well...I almost am with 'life'..... and will do some catching up here some time tonight.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1053 on: September 08, 2022, 08:10:15 PM »
So...

I checked to see if Barcelona is on Spotify.

It is!
It's labeled as the New Orchestrated Version

1. Barcelona....6m
2. La Japonaise....2m
3. The Fallen Priest....1.7m
4. Ensueno....1.7m
5. The Golden Boy....1.9m
6. Guide Me Home....3m
7. How Can I Go On....15.3m
8. Exercise In Free Love....1.5m
9. Overture Piccante...1.2m

Probably a combination of the original totals and the 2012 'special edition'.  youtube numbers are quite low for this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barcelona_(Freddie_Mercury_and_Montserrat_Caball%C3%A9_album)

scroll down to 2012 special edition

AUDIO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSdTmaZWWBc&list=PL1250hvFNsBb3sAS4yijYoKql8SM9GrNd&index=1

I didn't list it with the original.  I had much anticipation for this release, but it just fell flat.  The synths and piano worked just fine on the original, and the occasional violin was so out of place.  It did have Rufus Taylor on drums on 'The Golden Boy' and 'How Can I Go On'.  It did reach #47 in the UK charts.

I would pass on this.  I only listened to the title track and 'How Can I Go On' while writing up the original.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 08:21:16 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1054 on: September 09, 2022, 06:36:58 AM »
to catch up on things here
FREDDIE MERCURY    Final Stage Performance(s)

One mimed, one not.

We'll do the mimed performance first.

‘How Can I Go On’,       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksNoe8W2jTc    41 MILLION VIEWS!

What a great song and vocal. Goosebump city.

Poor Freddie. It really was over when the fat lady sang..

I'm gonna listen to the rest of that album. Maybe not tonight, but I want to hit it. That song was one of the best things I've heard in this thread.

This is such a great picture. I love his look in the shots for this project. What's weird is that I don't feel sad so much at watching the Queen stuff, but it's a project like this that shows he was just scratching the surface on what would be the second half of his career. He really had so much more to offer.

Cute line as to the fat lady! :D

The 'Barcelona' project certainly showed another side...a side that was almost buried during his lifestyle changes in the 80s.  It's a shame that his disease somewhat forced the issue.  Being surrounded by such talents and personalities as Dave Clarke, Mike Moran, Tim Rice, and Montserrat didn't hurt.  And spending the time on it...which he had done in the 70s, but could barely be bothered with more than an hour in the studio before gallivanting off to the clubs afterwards.

The 'Time' musical
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0ROWWz1EYY  promo footage, Freddie’s in here a couple of times being interviewed, as is Gene Simmons (of all people) in makeup (in '87 ?) at the 1150 mark

DOMINION THEATER, London, April 4, 1988

The sad irony of this charity event (unbeknownst to all but his inner circle at the time).  Freddie appears on stage and sings ‘Born To Rock And Roll’, ‘In My Defence’, and ‘It’s In Eveyone Of Us’ (with Cliff Richard).  During intermission, he also doubles as a vendor to hand out ice cream to the audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5Zzq0MY5LQ

Years later, this soundboard recording of ‘It’s In Everyone Of Us’ surfaced   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTs5D-fuz20

A real shame this was not made available for ‘The Solo Collection’ boxset. Heart wrenching to hear years later. Provides the perfect closing song on any Freddie 'best of 'collection.

And sadly..... closes out Freddie's singing career on stage.

Very nice! That soundboard is excellent. So sad.

Better than the Freddie fanatic screaming his name every ten seconds >:(  I still don't understand why all of his last performance hasn't been made public.

ROGER TAYLOR & The CROSS   Shove It LP

Oh boy. This was pretty terrible all the way around. :lol

When and what did Spike play with Duran Duran? I saw them on 1/20/89 in Worcester. Was he with them then?

I did write privately and told TAC that Spike was with Duran Duran in the States months before.

And, yeah, other than a couple songs I mentioned in my review, it was such a disappointing listen.  'Strange Frontier' was mostly a very good solo album.  I expected more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_Dobson  The current Mrs. May met Brian in 1986, and finally married in 2000.

Anita Dobson     Talking Of Love

Released:  1988, UK (Odeon Records)
Did not chart

Single(s): 
Talking Of Love
Released:  1987
Charts:  #5 in UK

Certifications:  Silver in UK
(information is almost nonexistent as to singles and the album itself)

Anyone Can Fall In Love      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOhohf8VydU

Anyone Can Fall in Love was the hit single from this, reaching number 4 in the UK charts. Anita was one of the stars of EastEnders, the BBC's new soap opera that had launched the previous year, and this was the theme tune (and still is 37 years later, although I'm more of a Coronation Street fan myself, not watched 'Stenders since him out of Spandau Ballet got that mental lad to take the blame for thwacking that girl with the ashtray).

It's the 12th highest selling tv or film song in UK chart history. This was utterly ubiquitous at the time. Households around the nation gather round the glowing light of the telly with their eel pie and mash to sing along to this 3 times a week. Or however often it's on these days.

Thanks for sharing (other than the eel pie bit ;)).  Interesting, and something I had never come across before.   :tup

Brian's and Anita's work is certainly something for the completists.  I do try and 'visualize' Brian or Freddie doing the lead vocals.  Anytime I hear his guitar or LVs or BVs is a bonus.  The songwriting was certainly better than for 'Shove It'.  I have been promised a copy of the album before the end of the year, so that's another bonus of doing this thread.

Out of everyone's extracurricular activities during this time, Freddie's are my favorite. It's fun to watch the videos while having in mind Freddie felt about Montserrat the way most of us feel about Freddie Mercury. I can definitely see and hear what he saw and heard in her, she was spectacular :heart

Have to admit I never listened to the Elaine Page stuff. Not my generation!

I think he pinched himself everytime he spoke with or was in Montserrat's presence.

The Elaine Paige album.  It was my generation, and yet......

And, as to 'How Can I Go On'.....I was genuinely shocked that it had 41 Million views on youtube, as opposed to only 13 Million for 'Barcelona' of their La Nit performance.  And, that for some reason it reached Number One in Brazil upon its initial release.

oh, and because of someone having a hunch, I think I'll watch 'My Cousin Vinnie' for the gazillionth time tonight :D

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography - I WANT IT ALL 45
« Reply #1055 on: September 09, 2022, 10:38:11 AM »
and, finally....after three long years, a Queen studio release....

I Want It All  b/w  Hang On In There

Released:  May 2, 1989, UK (Parlophone), USA (Capitol)

Charts:  UK #3, USA #50 (Mainstream Rock #3)

Netherlands #2, Finland #3, France #3, Norway #4, Italy #7, Switzerland #8, West Germany #9 ,
Australia #10, Belgium #10, Austria #11, Spain #12, Sweden #14, Canada #34, France #47

Certifications: Silver in UK, Gold in Italy

Written by Queen
Produced by David Richards and Queen

The first thing I noticed was that for the first time since the cover of ‘The Game’ album, Freddie’s mustache was gone (having never seen or heard of 'The Great Pretender', 'Time' and 'Barcelona' at this point).

Second, all songs were written by Queen (though this is obviously Brian's with Anita's phrase of 'I want it all, and I want it now' finding a proper home)

Third, I now knew the title of the upcoming album, along with one song not making the 'grade' for inclusion.

And finally, it was produced by David Richards (five tracks from ‘A Kind Of Magic’)

Album version    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN1-ieOQ8WA

Hang On In There    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaEEDGdjFnQ

I Want It All, single version  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFDcoX7s6rE  95 MILLION Views

This was my first CD single purchase.  Along with the 12” single release, this also included the album version and a good rocking non album track. Queen was back!  Hard rocking, BVs, and ‘Hang On In There’ was a clincher.  If that song wasn’t good enough to make the cut for the album, I couldn’t wait to find out what was going to be included when released in another three weeks.....

'Good Morning Britain'  interview, May 2nd, the day of the release   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7FANf96u58

Due to traffic, Roger shows up a tad late.  He also shows up a tad gray. :o

A typical ‘nothing’ interview, other than to see the two together.  At the 9 minute mark, is the start of Queen's agreed to line about not touring, 15:30 and after is a quick question about Freddie, and then the third co-host does his little bit, with questions about the press (not knowing anything about 'Scandal' at the time).  And finally, once again a question about letting the show be the first to know of upcoming tour dates.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 10:41:26 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography - The MIRACLE LP
« Reply #1056 on: September 09, 2022, 05:24:18 PM »
(details of the 2022 Collectors Edition on Page 43   https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57201.msg2951968#msg2951968)

The MIRACLE

Released:  May 22, 1989 UK (Parlophone), June 6, USA (Capitol)

Charts: UK #1, USA #24
#1 in Austria, Netherlands, Finland, Germany, Switzerland
New Zealand #2, Norway #2, Australia #4, Sweden #6, Canada #18

1992:  Hungary #36

2022:  Poland #44   

Certifications:  Platinum in UK

Gold in Australia, Austria, France, New Zealand
Platinum in Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Poland, Spain, Switzerland

Singles:
I Want It All (Single Version) b/w Hang On In There
Charts:  UK #3, USA #50
Already posted
Breakthru  b/w  Stealin
Released:  June 19

Charts:  UK #13
Netherlands #4, Ireland #6, Belgium #10, Finland #10, Italy #15, Germany #24, Switzerland #28, Australia #45, New Zealand #45, Canada #80
The Invisible Man  b/w  Hijack My Heart
Released:  August 7

Charts: UK #12
Netherlands #4, Ireland #10, Belgium #13, Italy #14, New Zealand #15, Switzerland #30, Germany #31
Scandal  b/w  My Life Has Been Saved
Released:  October 9

Charts:  UK #25
Netherlands #12, Ireland #14, Netherlands #16, Belgium #29
The Miracle  b/w  Stone Cold Crazy (from Rainbow ‘74)
Released:  November 27th

Charts:  UK #21
Netherlands #16, Ireland #23, Belgium #28, Germany #78

Produced by: Queen and David Richards
Recorded at: Olympic Sound Studios and The Townhouse Studios, London; and Mountain Studios, Montreux

All tracks performed exclusively by Queen
All songs written by: Freddie Mercury, Brian May, John Deacon, Roger Taylor

Album sleeve design:  Richard Gray – based on an idea by Queen

not listed on the album:
Freddie Mercury: lead and backing vocals, piano, keyboards, synthesizers, programming
Brian May: electric and acoustic guitars, backing vocals, lead vocals on "I Want It All", synthesizers, programming
Roger Taylor: drums, electronic drums, backing vocals, lead vocals on "The Invisible Man", synthesizer, programming
John Deacon: bass guitar, electric guitars, keyboards, synthesisers, programming
David Richards - additional keyboards

AUDIO (with bonus disc)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v0ZMylE-WY&list=PL-Dlrh3xUEoQtJvK3HBq5Ga4u7wzCoaRB

SIDE ONE
Party  2:24
Khashoggi's Ship  2:47
The Miracle  5:01
I Want It All  4:41
The Invisible Man  3:57       

SIDE TWO
Breakthru  4:08
Rain Must Fall  4:22
Scandal  4:42
My Baby Does Me  3:23
Was It All Worth It  5:44

2011 Universal CD bonus disc
I Want It All (Single version) / The Invisible Man (demo version with Roger guide vocal) / Hang on in There (B-side of I Want It All) / Hijack My Heart (B-side of The Invisible Man / Stealin' (B-side of Breakthru) /Chinese Torture
My Life Has Been Saved’ was the non album B-side of ‘Scandal’.  A much different version was remixed for the ‘Made In Heaven’ album, so they decided to put this B-side on that album’s bonus disc.  Could have easily done both, as it’s just as (more) appropriate for this album

There are numerous demos of songs that did appear on this album:  The Miracle, I Want It All (as well as a guide vocal by Brian), Scandal, My Baby Loves Me, A New Life Is Born (the beginning which turned into Breakthru).

And the nonalbum B side demos of: Hang On In There,  Hijack My Heart, Stealin’ (12 minute version)

Finally, there are demos from songs unreleased or appearing on other albums:  Too Much Love Will Kill You I Guess We're Falling Out, Dog With A Bone, Face It Alone, All God's People

Hearing ‘I Want It All’ and ‘Hang On In There’, I was stoked for this album’s release (originally titled 'The Invisible Men').  Then I see the cover, and I’m like WTF?  Kind of neat, kind of bizarre.  Inside is a damn good group photo and lyrics.  As to the music, right off the bat, I get the dance club beat of ‘Party’.  And lots of bass beats and programmed drums throughout (done while Roger was off skiing) and the whatever lyrics of ‘Khashoggi’s Ship’.  A shame, as Brian’s guitar work really kicks.  The other two weak songs, ‘Rain Must Fall’ and ‘My Baby Does Me’  have some superb guitar work, are nice changes of pace, but the programmed drums kill any enjoyment for me.  The 'committee' effect perhaps.

The title track, ‘I Want It All’, and ‘Breakthru’ are the highlights, even ‘Scandal’…Brian’s scathing critique of the tabloids attacks (on Freddie as well as himself).

And then there’s the album closer. ‘Was It All Worth It’ is epic, with great BVs, killer lead guitar, the different 'symphonic' change with timpani and car horns....and Freddie with incredible power and grit in his vocals.  This very well could have been their swan song on their last album.

If you were to toss everything including the kitchen sink into a song in the late 80s that said ‘Queen’, this album was it.  Lots of highs, but with just as many lows.  This was when they agreed to have all songs listed as ‘written by Queen’.  It took away the petty jealousies, the need to write a hit, and allowed them to focus just on the songs.  This was both good and bad, as so much on this album suffers from ‘music by committee’ without the pushing and pulling of a song that was ‘someone’s work’.  It also kept 'Too Much Love Will Kill You' and 'All God's People' off the album because of outside writing credits. 

It' is a shame that some real quality nonalbum B-sides were not included on this album.  Is listening to 'The Miracle''a worthwhile experience?'  Sometimes.  The inconsistencies cause it to be rated quite low in the list of Queen albums. Skip a song here and there, add a B-side here and there, and you've got something really good.

There was talk at the time of releasing another LP soon afterwards titled ‘Another Miracle’ , with those songs and a few of the demos polished and added (listed in the following post). Instead, they quickly went back into the studio to work on a new album….while they still could.

NOVEMBER edit:  the 2022 release(s)

The MIRACLE COLLECTOR's EDITIONS

https://www.queenonlinestore.com/Queen/The-Miracle/

The 'Super Deluxe Edition'
CD1 - 2011 Bob Ludwig Master
1 Party
2 Khashoggi's Ship
3 The Miracle
4 I Want It All
5 The Invisible Man
6 Breakthru
7 Rain Must Fall
8 Scandal
9 My Baby Does Me
10 Was It All Worth It

CD2 - The Miracle Sessions
1 Party (Original Take)
2 Khashoggi’s Ship (Original Take)
3 The Miracle (Original Take With John’s Ending)
4 I Want It All (Original Take)
5 The Invisible Man (Early Version With Guide Vocal)
6 When Love Breaks Up (Demo)
7 Breakthru (Real Drums And Bass)
8 Rain Must Fall (Demo)
9 Scandal (Original Rough Mix)
10 My Baby Loves Me
11 Was It All Worth It (Original Take)
12 You Know You Belong To Me
13 I Guess We’re Falling Out (Demo)
14 Dog With A Bone
15 Water (Demo)
16 Face It Alone

CD3 - Alternative Miracle
1 I Want It All (Single Version)
2 Hang On In There [B-Side]
3 Breakthru (12” Version)
4 Stealin’ [B-Side]
5 The Invisible Man (12” Version)
6 Hijack My Heart [B-Side]
7 Scandal (12” Version)
8 My Life Has Been Saved [B-Side]
9 Stone Cold Crazy (Live At The Rainbow, London '74) [B-Side]
10 My Melancholy Blues (Live At Houston, Texas ’77) [B-Side]
11 Chinese Torture [Instrumental]

CD4 - Miracu-mentals
1 Party (Instrumental)
2 Khashoggi's Ship (Backing Track)
3 The Miracle (Backing Track)
4 I Want It All (Backing Track)
5 The Invisible Man (Backing Track)
6 Breakthru (Backing Track)
7 Rain Must Fall (Backing Track)
8 Scandal (Backing Track)
9 My Baby Does Me (Backing Track)
10 Was It All Worth It (Backing Track)

CD5 - The Miracle Interviews
1 Queen For An Hour (Trailer)
2 Queen For An Hour (Roger, John, Freddie & Brian with Mike Read)
3 Queen For An Hour (Out-takes)
4 Rockline (Brian & Roger with Bob Coburn)

DVD / BLU-RAY - The Miracle Promo Videos
1 I Want It All (Promo Video)
2 Breakthru (Promo Video)
3 The Invisible Man (Promo Video)
4 Scandal (Promo Video)
5 The Miracle (Promo Video)
6 The Miracle Interviews (Interviews with Roger, Brian and John on the set of the Breakthru film shoot in June 1989,
by Gavin Taylor. John has given no further interviews since that day)
7 The Making of the Miracle Videos
8 The Making of The Miracle album cover

LP The Miracle - The Long Lost Original LP Cut
SIDE ONE
Party
Khashoggi's Ship
The Miracle
I Want It All
Too Much Love Will Kill You
The Invisible Man

SIDE TWO
Breakthru
Rain Must Fall
Scandal
My Baby Does Me
Was It All Worth It

the more affordable and perhaps 'worthwhile' Deluxe edition has the first two discs

« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 10:19:12 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1057 on: September 09, 2022, 05:26:00 PM »
The MIRACLE  12" versions and demos

I Want It All / Hang On In There / I Want It All (album version)
Already posted

Breakthru   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEjU9KVABao   36 MILLION Views

Stealin  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoDtfM-I9Ew

Breakthru ext version  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS82mmDsXcc

The extended version is very different from the album version throughout.....and surprisingly, it's a rather fun version at that.

The Invisible Man    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKdxd718WXg    20 MILLION Views slightly different beginning than the album version

Hijack My Heart     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOUJghzUywA

The Invisible Man ext version     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqsuE8jt_nA   (this is an 'ouch' to me)

Scandal    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMO3YNoNyTY  17 MILLION Views

My Life Has Been Saved   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYL-myiaZRA

Scandal ext version  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_FPAltzci4   (not a fan of this one)

The Miracle    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DaY8-Mui0I    32 MILLION Views (a very fun and memorable video)

Stone cold crazy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Rfb1Jtmic

from the November 74 Rainbow concert.  The first time this had been made available to the public.  Kind of scraping the bottom a bit as well.....

Making of 'The Miracle' videos   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdeVNraHpHE

I'm going to save the demos for tomorrow......
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 06:27:02 PM by DragonAttack »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1058 on: September 09, 2022, 05:39:31 PM »
Damn, I thought it was up..

I'm not listening until you post it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1059 on: September 09, 2022, 06:11:00 PM »
^
Consider it done in thirty seconds.

Something to listen to with the Sawx and O's on the telly.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1060 on: September 09, 2022, 06:15:23 PM »
I love this album so much. The Miracle is such a killer tune.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1061 on: September 09, 2022, 06:17:42 PM »

That's bedroom talk for Kingshmegland!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1062 on: September 09, 2022, 06:19:39 PM »

It's a race and I always win.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1063 on: September 09, 2022, 06:19:57 PM »
I'm prepared..

Spotify stream numbers!

The Miracle

1. Party....2.1m
2. Khashoggi's Ship....2.5m
3. The Miracle....18m
4. I Want It All....37.8m
5. The Invisible Man....41.9m
6. Breakthru....52.6m
7. Rain Must Fall....2.6m
8. Scandal....6.2m
9. My Baby Does Me....2m
10. Was It All Worth It....2.8m
11. Hang On In There....782k
12. Chinese Torture....597k

Non Album Tracks

Hang On In There....783k
Hijack My Heart....580k
Stealin'....504k

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1064 on: September 09, 2022, 06:20:53 PM »

The most romantic three words any wife can utter...

"Make it quick!"  :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1065 on: September 09, 2022, 06:29:01 PM »
And just like an egg timer, I finished the second post in three minutes..... ;)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1066 on: September 09, 2022, 06:35:26 PM »
I didn't hear The Miracle until maybe 15 years ago.  It is very much a mixed bag for me. 

It has some awesome songs like I Want It All, Breakthru (this was one of my workout mainstay tunes for a long time), the title track and Was It All Worth It?, but it has some major crap on there as well.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1067 on: September 09, 2022, 06:38:39 PM »
Breakthru (this was one of my workout mainstay tunes for a long time),

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1068 on: September 09, 2022, 07:15:35 PM »
The Miracle

Party-Damn there's those 80's electric drums again. This would've been way better in 1974.

Khashoggi's Ship-Is this a Billy Squier cover? :lol   This isn't half bad. Has a Zeppelin feel to it for sure.

The Miracle- I have literally never heard this before right now. Even with a great vocal, it starts a bit iffy, but this song wins in the end. Freddie is great on this. Really nice, considering what was going on with him. Nice playing by Brian on this.

I Want It All- I'm well familiar with this. I liked it when it was released.

The Invisible Man- 42m streams?? I've never heard this. I hope that's legit John Deacon on that bass line. If so...amazing! Not sure what to make of this. It's kind of quirky.

Breakthru- 52m streams?? What? never heard this before either! The "If I could only reach you..." part reminds me of Don Henley's Boys Of Summer.

Rain Must Fall- WTF? it's like if Herbie Hancock and Billy Ocean had a baby. This sounds familiar, but maybe it's because it sounds like so many 80's songs.

Scandal-Yay, Duran Duran makes an appearance. I like Freddie here.

My Baby Does Me-No surprise John has a big hand in this. This one started out a bit iffy too, but it's a smokey groovy thing. I needed Brian's solo to go longer though. This ended way too quick.

Was It All Worth It- Um, the answer is yes. This is a great song. This is the best song on the album.

Hang On In There- This is interesting and easily could've made the album.

Hijack My Heart- This actually isn't that bad. This was made for Rod Stewart. Left to his own devices, I can't say I'm a huge Roger fan. His music is a bit odd.

Stealin'-Jeesh, this is really interesting. It really is. Damn cool.

lyrics on other side of sleeve

This is a great pic of the band.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1069 on: September 10, 2022, 06:33:49 AM »
^
Yes it is. :tup  Some of the other photos from Montreux on Lake Geneva from this time should have been added as well.

The most romantic three words any wife can utter...

"Make it quick!"  :lol

A day at the races was mentioned a lonnnnnggg time ago...

and....

Breakthru (this was one of my workout mainstay tunes for a long time),

Meanwhile, I did a lot of twelve ounce curls to this song and album throughout the years ;)

Moving on......I forgot to include the wiki post for the LP   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Miracle_(album)  which has a good breakdown of who wrote what for each song. And Tim, your Sheriff Farley hunches were spot on throughout in your good and fair review.

And, nice catch as to the 'if I could only reach you' line in 'Breakthru'.  I instantly started humming the 'But I can see you, your brown skin shining in the sun' part of 'The Boys of Summer'.   No one on any Queen forums I've read through the years had mentioned this.   :tup :tup

Spotify numbers:  generally comparable as to popularity ratios throughout the catalogue as to youtube views, but 'The Invisible Man' is the shocker so far (slightly edging out 'How Can I Go On' to 'Barcelona').  I was totally off as to my guesses, eh?

Instruments played on the album:  a significant decrease throughout the 80s, as the piano only appears on the title track and a few seconds of 'Breakthru'.  It probably would have been quite prominent on 'Rain Must Fall' had this been written a decade earlier.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 10:21:44 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1070 on: September 10, 2022, 09:58:28 AM »
The album cover picture always freaked me out.

I wasn't listing to newer Queen at the time anyway for various reasons, but that cover sure as hell didn't give me any reason to check it out.  So it was years before I listened to The Miracle.  Later Queen was hit or miss to me, and this is pretty good, but still "later Queen" to me.

The single cover with the eyes is freaky, too.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1071 on: September 10, 2022, 11:05:29 AM »
Oh man, I remember the music video for Breakthru from back in the day!! They used to play it a ton on Italian TV (it was like the Italian MTV, but not quite).

Loved that song...and the video was clever too, the whole train thing was a good fit for the rhythmic shuffle of the tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEjU9KVABao

And yes, I never thought about associating the melody in "If I could only reach you" to Boys of Summer, but I can totally hear it...

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1072 on: September 10, 2022, 12:53:24 PM »
I really like this record, The Miracle, I Want It All, Breakthru, Invisible Man are all killer tunes and Was It All Worth It was a hidden gem, not being released as a single, and maybe the best song here. It would have made a great swan song in the vein of The Show Must Go On.

The rest is certainly not so strong, but back then I was seriously practising my guitar skills and was looking for good melodic solos to learn and to play along to. And even if a couple of songs aren't that good, they have tremendous guitar work by Brian.

So I played the shit out of that record.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography - The MIRACLE LP Demo Versions
« Reply #1073 on: September 11, 2022, 09:47:40 PM »
comments on the comments tomorrow.....

The MIRACLE  Demo Versions

The songs that did not make it onto the album

All God's People (Queen/Moran),   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipLfSxl365c

A New Life Is Born (beginning of ‘Breakthru’)
https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=1785877234821351&_rdr

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/queen-a-new-life-is-born-unreleased-demo-which-later-became-breakthru-1989-the-miracle--511932682615902775/     blocked by QPL

Dog With A Bone,    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0YKZ0YJNNs

I Guess We're Falling Out    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UvrdEDODu4

Face It Alone    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjkJZpfIfs

River Of Words  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd5G4vrySrs  50 second guitar solo

Too Much Love Will Kill You     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PokXANl5fxU   Brian with Elizabeth Lamers

DEMOS OF ALBUM SONGS 

Breakthru ('Now' version)     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTGApzlSevE     not a demo, but a promo version minus the intro

Chinese Torture    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpSxvJCwDho    included on the bonus disc

Hang On In There demo    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/342555115380202309/
Unavailable due to copyright claim by Universal.  Then release the damn thing!!!!!!!!   :censored >:(

Hijack My Heart    https://play.radiosun.ro/track/34259/queen-hijack-my-heart-demo     maracas are too loud in the mix.  A pity 

I Want It All vocal       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgNz0K6N_R4       guitar    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9dWFpuBBTY

The Invisible Man  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlLBkXCX89c  Roger guide vocal (included on the bonus disc)

Khashoggi’s Ship    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbf1PLjhrM    instrumental from ‘The eYe’ 1999. 

My Baby Loves Me demo  ….. gone

My Baby Does Me (without drums)  a fantastic fan mix….gone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOghqgTs-D4
The Miracle
The Invisible Man  1:40
A New Life Is Born  3:00
I Want It All  4:20
I Guess We’re Falling Out  5:40

Scandal   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaI1v5cAWYs       (a fan mixdown…some slight variations for those familiar with the song, similar to )

Scandal (teaser tape)   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWcJ7sLJsuk  less bass, different lead guitar in spots….

Stealin 3 of 12 minutes   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3NJJNUY5eo

Stealin' 12 minute version    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1k9dch     (I really had to dig to refind this....an entertaining and fun jam session..my highlight of these demos)

And finally.......   the ’89 Queen Fan Club message   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usYM_0WkxNk

All the various completed and demo versions that used to be on youtube can be found and purchased here for under a hundred bucks ;)

https://concertdiscs.online/queen-the-miracle-expanded-collectors-edition-blue-red-4cd-2-dvd/
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 10:14:34 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1074 on: September 12, 2022, 05:08:07 AM »
Not a bad album, but probably deserves it spot as generally regarded as the 2nd weakest Queen album behind Hot Space (or 3rd if you count 'The Cosmos Rocks').

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1075 on: September 12, 2022, 07:29:58 AM »
That is still one horrible cover. You often see this one on "Worst album cover ever" lists, and I can see why.

Thing is, I remember seeing this back when the album came out on one of those big window displays they had in record store windows. It looked creepy then and it still does now. Thing is, back then photo-manipulation software was a new thing, and this was genuinely impressive, we'd never seen anything like it. It really was an image you'd look at and go "Wow, how did they do that? That's really impressive! F*cking creepy, tho..."  Today of course, just like the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park, it's dated, looks really amateurish and a young child could do better on their phone. 
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1076 on: September 12, 2022, 12:00:45 PM »
That is still one horrible cover. You often see this one on "Worst album cover ever" lists, and I can see why.

Thing is, I remember seeing this back when the album came out on one of those big window displays they had in record store windows. It looked creepy then and it still does now. Thing is, back then photo-manipulation software was a new thing, and this was genuinely impressive, we'd never seen anything like it. It really was an image you'd look at and go "Wow, how did they do that? That's really impressive! F*cking creepy, tho..."  Today of course, just like the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park, it's dated, looks really amateurish and a young child could do better on their phone.

Yup, and ....can't argue much with that.

I was going to include the 'making of' before hand, so, here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_42uJoU41y0

I hate the cover as  well (DT 12, TA, and D/T weren't exactly terrific....)

I use the 'I Want It All ' cover for my version, and there are other versions one can use.  But, at the time, it was a show of 'we are one together'..... and now having the ability to look back, the unity of the band for three years was unquestionable.  In spite of my initial dislike of the album, get rid of the first two songs, and this would be a classic.  John simply kicks axe on bass, Brian makes some lame songs stand out, and Freddie's grit in his vocals throughout was outstanding.

Here's a fan altered cover version......

A shame that they didn't do a better job with the top of the hair.....

and...all one needs to do is google 'Queen Miracle album cover'...and you'll find some weird stuff...as well as a 'Miracle' merge of the Queen II cover...but kinda cool at the same time.

I just came to appreciate this album for what it was way more in the past week than I did upon its initial release.  And, other than the percussion (which was probably ordered by committee), David Richards production gave so much more warmth and feel than what Mack had done with 'The Game', 'Hot Space', 'The Works', and his efforts on 'A Kind Of Magic'.  Perhaps too polished.

I'll add a link to a great fan remix of the entire 'Hot Space' LP in a day or two.  If you listen to those tracks on that album, those reading this might even like it.  Or, at least hate it less.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 10:23:49 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1077 on: September 12, 2022, 12:04:01 PM »
I didn't hear The Miracle until maybe 15 years ago.  It is very much a mixed bag for me. 

It has some awesome songs like I Want It All, Breakthru (this was one of my workout mainstay tunes for a long time), the title track and Was It All Worth It?, but it has some major crap on there as well.

Just like 'Promised Land' by Queensryche. ;)

Both albums would have benefitted with a deletion or two here and there, with an addition or two along the way.

Not a slam, just my honest opinion.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 02:16:57 PM by DragonAttack »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1078 on: September 12, 2022, 12:29:42 PM »

Just like 'Promised Land' by Queensryche.

Both albums would have benefitted with a deletion or two here and there, with an addition or two along the way.

I agree. Not an opinion., just an honest slam. ;D

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1079 on: September 12, 2022, 02:16:12 PM »

Just like 'Promised Land' by Queensryche.

I agree. Not an opinion., just an honest slam. ;D

I have BS'd on this forum, but I've never lied :D :tup

No slam here  :biggrin:

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1080 on: September 12, 2022, 05:46:05 PM »
I love this album so much. The Miracle is such a killer tune.

As the years go by, and what the band was going through at the time, I'm loving it even more ... in spite of the horrible first tracks.

I really like this record, The Miracle, I Want It All, Breakthru, Invisible Man are all killer tunes and Was It All Worth It was a hidden gem, not being released as a single, and maybe the best song here. It would have made a great swan song in the vein of The Show Must Go On.

The rest is certainly not so strong, but back then I was seriously practising my guitar skills and was looking for good melodic solos to learn and to play along to. And even if a couple of songs aren't that good, they have tremendous guitar work by Brian.

So I played the shit out of that record.

Jealous as hell for your talents...and appreciative of your comments as to Brian's playing on this album.  I think his leads were the best of his offerings in the 80s :tup

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1081 on: September 12, 2022, 05:53:50 PM »
Oh man, I remember the music video for Breakthru from back in the day!! They used to play it a ton on Italian TV (it was like the Italian MTV, but not quite).

Loved that song...and the video was clever too, the whole train thing was a good fit for the rhythmic shuffle of the tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEjU9KVABao

And yes, I never thought about associating the melody in "If I could only reach you" to Boys of Summer, but I can totally hear it...

TAC's reviews are often so wrong...except for the most part when it comes to Queen ;)  After over three decades, it had never ever crossed my mind.

OMG....wife is gone for a few days, I put in a Wembley disc, and I realize that it's the Friday night show.  Summabeech...time to watch and listen and get off of the laptop.

I see a little silhouette of a man......

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1082 on: September 12, 2022, 06:23:22 PM »

TAC's reviews are often so wrong...except for the most part when it comes to Queen ;)  After over three decades, it had never ever crossed my mind.

I'm so wrong that I'm actually right. :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1083 on: September 13, 2022, 03:52:07 PM »
Stealin' 12 minute version    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1k9dch     (I really had to dig to refind this....an entertaining and fun jam session..my highlight of these demos)

So, I think I may have betrayed my experience of this because of false expectations, though I'm not sure I would've loved it even with an open mind.

I read about this 12 minute demo on wiki while listening to the album. I guess in my mind, is was expecting more of an instrumental jam.

Others I checked out..

Dog With A Bone-Other than the cheesy lyrics and sloppy vocals (yes I know it's a demo), this song rocks bigtime. GREAT soloing by Brian throughout.

River Of Words solo-very nice

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1084 on: September 14, 2022, 03:01:43 PM »
First of all.....life suxx sometimes.  Moving on....

Hadn't mentioned how much I liked the production of this album (other than the percussion on 'My Baby Does Me').  Warmer and fuller than Mack's offerings of the 80s, and the drum mix on AKOM.  Always sounded rather 'hollow'.

I'm so wrong that I'm actually right. :lol

Indeed! :tup :D

So, I think I may have betrayed my experience of this because of false expectations, though I'm not sure I would've loved it even with an open mind.

I read about this 12 minute demo on wiki while listening to the album. I guess in my mind, is was expecting more of an instrumental jam.

Others I checked out..

Dog With A Bone-Other than the cheesy lyrics and sloppy vocals (yes I know it's a demo), this song rocks bigtime. GREAT soloing by Brian throughout.

River Of Words solo-very nice

'Stealin'.....my enthusiasm was boosted by finding it about three days before my post.  Something we were never privy to.....  the band just playing and farting around.  Looking back....they were able to find some comfort and escape from the 'elephant in the room' at the time.  Simply having fun adlibbing.

And the other demos SHOULD have been officially released.  I know that coming soon is one they are polishing up for a release this month.

Not a bad album, but probably deserves it spot as generally regarded as the 2nd weakest Queen album behind Hot Space (or 3rd if you count 'The Cosmos Rocks').

I don't count 'The Cosmos Rocks'. Not a 'Queen' album.

To finish my part of 'The Miracle' posts. One of my least favorite Queen albums.  Brian's guitar, and Freddie's voice are fantastic though.  So is John's bass playing, and Roger's percussion ...mostly (other than 'My Baby Does Me' programmed overload).

Yet, my altered track list is my MOST listened to Queen 'album'.  I adore this version

SIDE ONE
Chinese Torture
The Invisible Man
The Miracle
Let Your Heart Rule Your Head (from Brian's 'Back To The Light')
I Want It All
Hang On In There
(after hearing this about a hundred times on the CD single after 'I Want It All', the Pavlovian instincts have remained strong)

SIDE TWO
Breakthru
Stealin'
Scandal
My Life Has Been Saved (next to his subtle lead bass on 'The Millionaire's Waltz' on 'A Day At The Races', this is my favorite bass work by Deacon)
Was It All Worth It

('Rain Must Fall' and 'My Baby Does Me' would have been two of the non album B-sides, joining 'Hijack My Heart')

The above tracklist WOULD have made this a superb offering IMO.

And, it truly would have been 'a worthwhile experience ahh - ha - ha -  ha!'

Tonight....the next Cross LP.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 09:16:11 PM by DragonAttack »