Author Topic: QUEEN Discography- MONTREAL '81 in theaters near you  (Read 68609 times)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography - other '87 and '88 collaborations
« Reply #1015 on: September 02, 2022, 01:25:30 PM »
MEATLOAF  A TIME FOR HEROES

Released:  1987

A Time For Heroes (The Song)" 
 Time For Heroes (Single Version) 
A Time For Heroes (Extended Version)

A Time For Heroes was the theme of the 1987 International Summer Special Olympics World Games. The theme was composed by Jon Lyons; the instrumental versions were performed by Tangerine Dream and the vocal version was performed by Meat Loaf and Brian May

AUDIO    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ud0tLwcfG4

Tangerine Dream instrumental    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR_dk7iyGFA

Written by:  Jon Lyons; Meat Loaf and Brian May

Personnel
Jon Lyons – composer
Christopher Franke
Edgar Froese
Paul Haslinger
John Van Tongeren

Credits vocal version
Written by M. Scott Sotebeer, Jon Lyons and Rik Emmett
Produced and arranged by Jon Lyons
Executive producer: M. Scott Sotebeer
Associate producer: John Van Tongeren
Mixed by Jay Rifkin and Jon Lyons at the Hit Factory, New York City
Recorded at the Hit Factory, Record Plant, West Lake Audio, and Sine Wave Studios

Meat Loaf – lead vocals
Brian May – lead guitar solo
Bob Kulick – rhythm guitar  ( Lou Reed, Kiss, W.A.S.P., Alice Cooper, Lou Reed, Meat Loaf and Michael Bolton.... elder brother of former KISS lead guitarist Bruce Kulick)
Jon Lyons — bass, acoustic guitar, additional keyboards and synthesizers
John Van Tongeren — piano, synthesizers
Bill Boydstun – additional synthesizer programming
Chuck Bürgi – drums    (Brand X, and Billy Joel's current drummer)
Gina Ricci, Amy Goff, Elaine Goff – backing vocals

I think they played this opening night of the North American 'We Will Rock You' musical after party.  Meatloaf also sang lead for 'With A Little Help From My Friends' that night.

a couple of silly, more than affectionate videos of the two many years later  :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPoQEwjlh1U   and   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvDY1NivQGU

« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 11:15:51 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1016 on: September 02, 2022, 01:33:57 PM »
for all those mellow music listeners on this forum  :lol

ELAINE PAIGE
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elaine_Paige

The QUEEN ALBUM

Released: March 1988, Siren Records, Virgin
Charts:  UK #51
Certifications:  Gold in UK

In 1985, Paige released "I Know Him So Well" with Barbara Dickson from the musical ‘Chess’, which remains the biggest-selling record by a female duo

'The Queen Album' is the first of a number of Paige's albums produced by Mike Moran. They would later work together on Piaf (1994) and Essential Musicals (2006), as well as a number of tracks for Centre Stage: The Very Best of Elaine Paige (2004).

On drums is Brett Morgan, who also appeared on Elton John’s ‘Step into Christmas’ 45 and the albums ‘Elton John’, ‘Madman Across the Water’, and ‘Tumbleweed Connection’.

Elaine Paige - vocals
The New Philharmonic Orchestra
Richard Studt, Pat Halling - orchestra leaders
Mike Moran - keyboards
Trevor Barry - bass guitar
Ray Russell - guitar
Brett Morgan - drums
Skaila Kanga - harp
Miriam Stockley, Mae McKenna, Phil Nicholl, Leroy Osbourne, Mick Mullens - backing vocals

Producer - Mike Moran
Recorded   CTS Wembley, London 1988

Recording Engineers - Richard 'Call Me Lucky' Dodd, Stuart Bruce
Assistant Engineers - Marsten Bailey, Martin Edwards, Alex Bardock

SIDE ONE
Bohemian Rhapsody         
A Kind Of Magic         
Love Of My Life         
My Melancholy Blues         
Who Wants To Live Forever     

SIDE TWO   
You Take My Breath Away         
Las Palabras De Amor         
One Year Of Love         
Is This The World We Created?         
Radio Ga Ga

CD bonus:  Crazy Little Thing Called Love

I know I gave this one spin in the late 90s.  There’s no denying the talent and effort behind this. I still recall decades ago on Queen forums those who just fell in love with her voice, bought her other albums because of this one, saw her live, etc. If you’re OK with Queen covers done by orchestras, then you’ve hit the motherlode.  I can’t say I didn’t enjoy listening to it again this week.  And, it is even better while riding an elevator or waiting in a doctor's office. ;)

« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 01:59:09 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1017 on: September 02, 2022, 02:57:43 PM »
Joe, in your Elaine Page post, I think you posted a pic of Roseanne Barr by accident.

I actually know Chuck Burgi as the drummer in Rainbow.

And I saw Bob Kulick live. He played on Paul Stanley's solo tour in 1989.

Lots to chew on this weekend!

« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 03:02:56 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1018 on: September 02, 2022, 03:14:09 PM »
Joe, in your Elaine Page post, I think you posted a pic of Roseanne Barr by accident.

You need to quit looking in the mirror!   :lol  Put on some glasses!  This is not the ''DTF Old As Mold TAC Club" (unless you're referencing the ol' fart music....)

Here's a better Elaine pic from four years ago

A lot to chew on....indeed. I still have Anita Dobson's album to post tonight, and one other before a fitting one Monday.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 09:49:54 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1019 on: September 02, 2022, 03:15:46 PM »
That definitely ain't Roseanne! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline frogprog

« Reply #1020 on: September 02, 2022, 04:43:25 PM »
I saw Rik Emmett's name in the credits for the Meatloaf song. Anyone know any more info on that?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1021 on: September 02, 2022, 04:45:15 PM »
I saw Rik Emmett's name in the credits for the Meatloaf song. Anyone know any more info on that?

Good eye! I missed that.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1022 on: September 02, 2022, 11:20:05 PM »

No idea.

I do thank you, as I didn't know he was the lead singer for Triumph ('85...the only time I went to a concert after finding out about it on the same day/evening in Detroit)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography - Anita Dobson (with Brian) - Talking Of Love LP
« Reply #1023 on: September 03, 2022, 12:16:23 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_Dobson  The current Mrs. May met Brian in 1986, and finally married in 2000.

Anita Dobson     Talking Of Love

Released:  1988, UK (Odeon Records)
Did not chart

Single(s): 
Talking Of Love
Charts:  #5 in UK

Certifications:  Silver in UK
(information is almost nonexistent as to singles and the album itself)

VIDEOS
Talking Of Love     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucQtAnIZ908  (Brian appears at the 2 minute mark, the Red Special shortly after)

I Dream Of Christmas     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SunTrA_0bEg

Let Me In Your Heart Again     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S3bQ7308v4 

Anyone Can Fall In Love      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOhohf8VydU

Backing Vocals – Brian May (tracks: A1 to B4)
Bass – John Deacon (tracks: A4)
Engineer – Dave Hewson (3) (tracks: B5), Pete Schwier (tracks: A1 to B4), Simon May (tracks: B5)
Guitar – Brian May (tracks: A1, A2, A4, B2, B3, B4)
Producer – Brian May (tracks: A1 to B4), Simon May (tracks: B5)

SIDE ONE
Talking Of Love  (May)
The Last Time I Made Love  (Barry Mann, Cynthia Weil, Jeff Barry)
You Can't Stay The Night  (Dominic Bugatti, Frank Musker)
I Dream Of Christmas  (May)

SIDE TWO
Funny Old Life Ain't It (Dobson, May)
Let Me In (Your Heart Again)  (May)
To Know Him Is To Love Him (Phil Spector)
Don't Fall In Love With Anybody Else ( Anne Dudley, Chris Thompson)
Anyone Can Fall In Love  (Black*, Osborne*, Simon May) 

Chris Thompson  Mannfred Mann vocalist, did vocals on Steve Hackett’s first solo album in 1986.  Brian also appeared on the album, along with Pete Trewavas and Ian Mosley of Marillion, and Bonnie Tyler.  The album 'Feedback 86", was not released until 2002.

He also appeared on two of Spike Edney’s SAS Band albums, and he provided some vocals at the small concert with Brian and Roger after their 2002 Hollywood Walk of Fame presentation (because my new bride and I were there)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Thompson_(English_musician)

Brian teamed up with Frank Muskers and Elizabeth Lamers in ’88 and cowrote ‘Too Much Love Will Kill You’. It was first recorded by Queen around 1988 or before, and was intended to be on the The Miracle LP, but did not make the cut due to legal disputes following the band's decision that all songs on the album would be credited to the group as opposed to individuals.
I have only heard the four songs listed above that have videos (not even my wife has the vinyl, approx $110 with S&H on eBay).  The title track is a fun pop song, especially from the point that Brian's guitar appears.

'I Dream Of Christmas', (mentioned after 'The Works' release, European tour, and before Rock In Rio) was in the running to be Queen's holiday song until 'Thank God It's Christmas' was chosen.  There are rumors that a Freddie vocal demo does exist.

As mentioned earlier, a demo of 'Let Me In Your Heart Again' was recorded by Queen during 'The Works' sessions.  It was touched up and released in 2014 on 'Queen Forever'.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWzeNnq1-rA

Anita does a fine job here once again (I mean, no one can match Freddie, correct?), but what also shines is Brian's lead guitar.  The instrumental section starts the same, but has some nice variations to the eventual Queen version.  It also has a warmer sound, not quite as high pitched.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 10:23:39 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1024 on: September 03, 2022, 09:09:34 AM »

Chuck is now the drummer for Billy Joel (and David Rosenthal, also from Rainbow, is his "musical director").

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1025 on: September 03, 2022, 09:35:00 AM »
I think I remember watching them sing this live.  Wasn't it during the Olympics?  Maybe the opening ceremonies?

They may have shown the video, but Freddie died the year before the '92 Olympics.

Hmm.  I only vaguely remember seeing it, but it was Freddie and her singing the song about Barcelona.  It was a live performance, though it may have been recorded and shown on some broadcast.  Was I the only one who saw that?  Seems oddly specific to have been a hallucination, but I suppose it's possible.  I had a new job which was insanely demanding, we'd moved halfway across the country and were still living out of boxes, and I wasn't getting much sleep.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1026 on: September 03, 2022, 01:31:52 PM »
I think I remember watching them sing this live.  Wasn't it during the Olympics?  Maybe the opening ceremonies?

They may have shown the video, but Freddie died the year before the '92 Olympics.

Hmm.  I only vaguely remember seeing it, but it was Freddie and her singing the song about Barcelona.  It was a live performance, though it may have been recorded and shown on some broadcast.  Was I the only one who saw that?  Seems oddly specific to have been a hallucination, but I suppose it's possible.  I had a new job which was insanely demanding, we'd moved halfway across the country and were still living out of boxes, and I wasn't getting much sleep.

Well, sir, here's part of the closing ceremony from the London 2012 Summer Olympics.  Right from the start of this, the world was not hallucinating.  And, I'm sure, that years from now many will see this (if not now), and think that Freddie captivated the audience with the 'Ay-Ohs' that evening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVCtQmDfdyw

I know it gave my wife and I goosebumps! :tup

(still does)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1027 on: September 03, 2022, 01:37:32 PM »

Chuck is now the drummer for Billy Joel (and David Rosenthal, also from Rainbow, is his "musical director").

I had Chuck highlighted, and listed as Billy Joel's current drummer in the related post
(I knew I had not forgotten :tup ;))

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1028 on: September 03, 2022, 02:00:52 PM »
related to the Brian and Anita album....

with then wife Chrissie and two of their kids at Knebworth, '86

With his parents Harold and Ruth backstage at Madison Square Garden in ’77. 

Harold May had worked on Concorde’s blind landing system as a radar engineer, but had never been able to afford to fly on it.  He also was very cold to Brian until this concert, criticizing his son for giving up on his Astrophysics education.  Brian paid their fares, along with Chrissie’s and then child for this show.  After this concert, he made out maps and diagrammed all the routes that Brian and Queen did on all of their following tours.

And.....he also helped build The Red Special with Brian.  Oh, what the world would have been like without the 'ol fireplace.  :sad:

Harold May died in ’87.  Brian had been with Chrissie for seven years prior to their marriage for ten years.  They had three kids. 

Brian publicly stated that due to his father's death, the marriage separation, guilt, etc....that he contemplated suicide during this time.  The only thing that held him back was the thought of how his kids would have reacted, and what they would have dealt with.  I totally understand all of this, having somewhat gone through it myself. 
A new life is born..... post Magic Tour and this release.... Anita's promo party interview for the title track 45 release

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Atjs12qyqn4

and a while later..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NccqFWFxAO0&t=19s

THIS IS HOW ONE ARGUES WITH THEIR SPOUSE  :lol :tup

To end with a SMILE or two......(get it?  'Smile' ;)) .....   we have this one minute argument between Brian and Anita from Alistair McGowan's 'Big Impressions' comedy show.  :tup :rollin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IriMyXLIafA

if you don't ....well, you can all 'shove it' ;)

« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 10:25:16 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography - Roger Taylor & The CROSS - Shove It LP
« Reply #1029 on: September 03, 2022, 03:09:12 PM »
Roger Taylor & The CROSS

http://www.ultimatequeen.co.uk/the-cross/biography.htm

After Queen's Magic Tour ended in August at Knebworth, the band members went their separate ways to do various solo work. Roger decided to form a new band with which he could tour, no doubt after Freddie had disclosed that his touring days were over.  Roger had written and recorded the first album himself before finding a band to play the songs with. He eventually placed an advertisement for band members in a national newspaper, hinting he was ‘a famous rock musician.”

guitarist Clayton Moss, Roger, drummer Joshua Macrae, bassist Peter Noone, and keyboardist Spike Edney

The Cross spent the rest of 1987 recording their debut album, and making a few television appearances. Their debut single, 'Cowboys And Indians', was released in September and reached #74.

Their second single, 'Shove It', was released in January '88.  The debut album, 'Shove It', was released that January (all songs written by Roger), while the US edition featured an exclusive bonus track 'Feel The Force'. Despite guest appearances from Freddie and Brian, the album stalled at #58. The band promoted the album with tours of England and Germany. The third single, 'Heaven For Everyone', was released in March, and featured Roger on lead vocals and Freddie on BVs (instead of the LP version with Freddie on LVs).   This would later be revisited by Queen for the  'Made In Heaven' album.

As to ‘Heaven For Everyone’…..Roger offered this song to Joan Armatrading, who had provided the incidental female vocals on ‘Don’t Lose Your Head’ from the ‘A Kind Of Magic’ LP.  She turned it down.

The band released their final single of the year, the non-album 'Manipulator', in June, which was the first Cross track not written exclusively by Roger (my wife's and mine favorite Cross song).  They performed a Christmas Queen fan club party in 1988, and were joined by Brian May and John Deacon for four tracks.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1030 on: September 03, 2022, 03:11:20 PM »
ROGER TAYLOR & The CROSS   Shove It LP

Released:  April 13, 1988, Virgin Records

Charts:  UK #58, USA (DNC)

Singles: 1987
Cowboys And Indians b/w Love Lies Bleeding
Charts:  UK #74

1988:
Shove It  b/w Rough Justice
Charts:  UK #83

Heaven for Everyone  b/w  Love On A Tightrope
Charts:  UK #84
Denmark #68

Roger Taylor - vocals, guitar, keyboards, bass, drums (most instruments on album)
Spike Edney - keyboards, vocals
Clayton Moss - guitar (on some tracks)
Peter Noone - bass guitar (on some tracks)
Josh Macrae - drums (on some tracks)

Additional personnel
Brian May - lead guitar on "Love Lies Bleeding (She Was a Wicked, Wily Waitress)", harmonies on "Bohemian Rhapsody" sampling, and guitar on "Flash" sampling. (uncredited)
Freddie Mercury - lead vocals on "Heaven for Everyone" (U.K./European version, B-side of "Heaven for Everyone" single Europe), backing vocals on "Heaven for Everyone" (US version), and harmonies for "Bohemian Rhapsody"/"Fat Bottomed Girls" sampling. (uncredited)
Gary Barnacle - Tenor, Alto & Baritone Saxophone on "Cowboys and Indians", "Contact" & "Stand Up For Love".

Recorded   August–December 1987 at Mountain Studios (Montreux), Townhouse, Air, Manor, Maison Rouge (England) and Mediterraneo (Ibiza) *
Produced by Roger Taylor, David Richards, and  John "Teddy Bear" Brough

* during 'holiday' with Freddie at Ibiza for the final 'Barcelona' video filming

AUDIO
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlnAR_kMcSk&list=PLnkNNoDdUeSBZMuxlizET4r9d00O5BZ51

Love Lies Bleeding https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gllUWJCbH_w

Heaven For Everyone (Roger LVs)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtJckYrjr9o
UK Album

SIDE ONE
Shove It – 3:28
Cowboys and Indians – 5:53
Contact – 4:54
Heaven For Everyone (Freddie LVs) – 4:54

SIDE TWO
Stand Up For Love – 4:22
Love On A Tightrope (Like an Animal) - 4:49
Love Lies Bleeding (She Was a Wicked, Wily Waitress) – 4:25
Rough Justice – 3:22

CD bonus track
The 2nd Shelf Mix – 5:50
Hidden Track - 4:58 Track Ends Outro Of Rough Justice Starts at 0:45
Note: The 2nd Shelf Mix is an extended remix of the track Shove It. On UK CD pressings it also includes the hidden outro of Rough Justice.
US track listing

SIDE ONE
Love Lies Bleeding (She Was a Wicked, Wily Waitress) – 4:25
Shove It – 3:28
Cowboys And Indians – 5:53
Contact – 4:54

SIDE TWO
Heaven For Everyone (Roger LVs, Freddie uncredited) – 4:54
Feel the Force* – 3:44
Stand Up for Love – 4:22
Love on a Tightrope (Like an Animal) xxx
Rough Justice – 3:22

* not on the UK version

SHOVE IT video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feT1w-Ac5J0

Heaven For Everyonhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7oCFCDR4NA

Cowboys And Indians  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvRGOur6zD0   the song isn’t the greatest, but it’s a pretty good video

Love Lies Bleeding 'live'
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC5MJUm32EQ
Leicester 2/21/1988  earliest concert tape of a Cross concert

Love Lies Bleeding (The Cross - Live In London 12/4/1988)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1nUo_ixFCc

The Queen International Fan Club’s Christmas party. The Cross would be joined on stage by not only Mike Moran, who was filling in for Spike due to him being on tour with Duran Duran, but also John Deacon and Brian May for the later songs, and Chris Thompson for the night’s finale, a performance of “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On”.

from 1990, Love Lies Bleeding       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dax9iQ9xSTs

Personal comments:  first heard this around '96 or so.  It was fab for me to hear something 'new' of Roger's.  That said, rather disappointing songwriting.  Half of it is 'meh'.  Yet...'Love Lies Bleeding' is fun, rocking, and Brian's guitar just screams!  :tup  'Shove It' is semi rap, with a 'Tear It Up' percussion, and some 'Flash' and 'Fat Bottomed Girls' sampling going on throughout.  'Rough Justice' is what my now wife and I dealt out to each other. ;)

'Feel The Force' is an 'almost' best of song.

'Heaven For Everyone' is the shining star.  No doubt this was viewed differently by Europeans when they heard the Queen 'Made In Heaven' album version.  I heard this afterwards.  The Roger album version is truly outstanding  :tup :tup :tup......but then you have Freddie's lead vocals :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 03:24:19 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1031 on: September 03, 2022, 06:18:51 PM »
Didn't make any headway on this today.   :sadpanda:
I don't remember The Cross. Hopefully I'll recognize something.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1032 on: September 04, 2022, 08:31:03 AM »
Other than the songs I had listed, *I* no longer recognized most of the rest when I listened to the album for the first time in decades on Friday.  Not a memorable effort on his part IMO.

they also released a nonalbum single after their first album release that year

MANIPULATOR  b/w Stand Up For Love

Released: July 1988, Virgin Records
Charts:  DNC

12" single: Manipulator (ext version)  b/w  Manipulator / Stand Up For Love

12" AUDIO  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78PZVTzLPrg

Manipulator
Produced by: Roger Taylor
Written by Roger Taylor, Spike Edney, and Steve Strange (member of Visage)

Stand Up For Love
Produced by: Roger Taylor and David Richards
I got my hands on this in '98 or so, a slightly scratched vinyl recording to disc.  It didn't find its way onto another format until Roger's box set in 2013.

The extended version is less than twenty seconds longer than the single, but it the preferred version to those who like this.  And we do, as it's less pop than the album tracks.  For some reason, its been a fun song for my wife and I to dance to, from the 'here comes trouble' and 'green eyes' lyrics.

Trivial....Roger autographed the 45 sleeve for us on Day One of our honeymoon, slightly taken aback and commenting that he didn't even have it in his collection :D

« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 03:24:54 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1033 on: September 04, 2022, 09:50:52 AM »

Trivial....Roger autographed the 45 sleeve for us on Day One of our honeymoon, slightly taken aback and commenting that he didn't even have it in his collection :D

Hah!
When I gave Alice Cooper my CD cover of Zipper Catches Skin, he looks at it and says..."Where did you get that? I don't even remember making it."

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1034 on: September 04, 2022, 06:28:25 PM »
 :lol

I know that some time, some where, you had mentioned that.  (it's funny and sad at the same time.....)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1035 on: September 04, 2022, 08:44:09 PM »
FREDDIE MERCURY    Final Stage Performance(s)

One mimed, one not.

We'll do the mimed performance first.

La Nit Festival, Montjurich Castle, Barcelona, October 8th, 1988  with Montserrat Caballe. 
‘The Golden Boy’ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPizyP4x30I  5 MILLION Views

‘How Can I Go On’,       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksNoe8W2jTc    41 MILLION VIEWS!

‘Barcelona’, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7icIbZYvEtk  13 MILLION Views
(this is the correct order for that night)

As is, it is his last stage performance, a few days before the ‘Barcelona’ LP is released. Made available in 2012 on DVD as part of the ‘Barcelona’ special edition box set.

The 'Time' musical
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0ROWWz1EYY  promo footage, Freddie’s in here a couple of times being interviewed, as is Gene Simmons (of all people) in makeup (in '87 ?) at the 1150 mark

DOMINION THEATER, London, April 4, 1988

The sad irony of this charity event (unbeknownst to all but his inner circle at the time).  Freddie appears on stage and sings ‘Born To Rock And Roll’, ‘In My Defence’, and ‘It’s In Eveyone Of Us’ (with Cliff Richard).  During intermission, he also doubles as a vendor to hand out ice cream to the audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5Zzq0MY5LQ

Made available in the 00s, for years this was the only available recording.  One time listening through with the Freddie fanatic screaming was one time too many.

Years later, this soundboard recording of ‘It’s In Everyone Of Us’ surfaced   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTs5D-fuz20

A real shame this was not made available for ‘The Solo Collection’ boxset. Heart wrenching to hear years later. Provides the perfect closing song on any Freddie 'best of 'collection.

And sadly..... closes out Freddie's singing career on stage.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography - FREDDIE MERCURY & MONTSERRAT CABALLE- BARCELONA LP
« Reply #1036 on: September 05, 2022, 12:57:37 PM »
well, then, I guess I'll move and post this album on what would have been his 76th birthday today……

FREDDIE MERCURY & MONTSERRAT CABELLE    BARCELONA LP

Released:  October 10, 1988 UK (Polydor), US reissue 1992 (Hollywood Records)

Charts:  UK #25

1992: UK #15
Netherlands #9, New Zealand #13, Switzerland #18, Austria #24, West Germany #41, Japan #93

Certification:  Silver in UK
Platinum in Spain and Switzerland

Singles:
Barcelona b/w Exercises In Free Love (already posted)
Released:  October 26, 1987
Charts:  1987 UK #8, 1992 UK #2

The Golden Boy (45 edit) b/w The Fallen Priest
Released:  October 24,1988
Charts: UK #86

How Can I Go On b/w Overture Piccanti
Released:  1989
Charts:  UK #95
Brazil #1

Recorded   January 1987 – June 1988
Studio   Townhouse and Mountain Studios
Producer:  Freddie Mercury, Mike Moran, David Richards
Songs arranged by Freddie Mercury and Mike Moran
All songs composed by Freddie Mercury and Mike Moran unless otherwise noted

All keyboards by Mike Moran
Bass guitar on ‘How Can I Go On’ by John Deacon

Various other acknowledgements listed

ALBUM AUDIO  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASJI6pNGqGo&list=PLG4oHUlIe48er2grAx1IaS5UJDNslg0Tv

SIDE ONE
Barcelona  5:37
La Japonaise   4:49
The Fallen Priest  (Mercury,Moran, Tim Rice)  5:46
Ensueño  (Mercury, Moran, Caballé)  4:27

SIDE TWO
The Golden Boy  (Mercury, Moran, Rice)  6:04
Guide Me Home   2:49
How Can I Go On   3:51
Overture Piccante   6:40

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barcelona_(Freddie_Mercury_and_Montserrat_Caball%C3%A9_album)

Almost twenty months after 'Exercises In Free Love' (the B-side of 'The Great Pretender'), and a year after the single release of the title track, the 'Barcelona' album hits the store shelves.

Once again....this is not everyone's cup of tea. Certainly an eye opener to those who heard this for the first time in ’88….as it was for me in ’92.  I certainly appreciated the effort.  After all, it had piano (exceptional work by Mike Moran), Queenish BVs, and Freddie’s voice, but I had a wish that Montserrat’s voice would have been Brian’s guitar.  Silly me.

After hearing the demos on The Solo Collection, my admiration grew as to all that was involved with this powerful duet.  And then diving into the lyrics…. spoken from the view of a man who knew he was dying, as in ‘The Fallen Priest’ and ‘The Golden Boy’, co-written by Tim Rice.

And then, the pleading and dying wishes in ‘Guide Me Home’ and ‘How Can I Go On’.

(one can always go through the lyrics, and copy and paste the Spanish lines for English translations to see more for each song). 

Included in The Solo Collection was the demo for ‘Guide Me Home / How Can I Go On’.  Freddie singing his lines and BVs, while providing a guide vocal for Montserrat. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF_AaQ9TQGA   

There are dozens of gems scattered about on those discs…unheard collaborations, demos, alternative versions, etc.  THIS was the standout performance for me.
To close, the ‘Ensueno’ instrumental  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9VRKAgy0Dk 

The piano for Freddie’s ‘Exercises In Free Love’ which started this whole project…then used for Montserrat’s version on the B-side of the single, and for ‘Ensueno, for which she wrote the lyrics.

1992 Hollywood Records reissue cover

« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 03:26:03 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Re: QUEEN discography - FREDDIE MERCURY & MONTSERRAT CABELLE -BARCELONA LP
« Reply #1037 on: September 05, 2022, 01:42:22 PM »
Out of everyone's extracurricular activities during this time, Freddie's are my favorite. It's fun to watch the videos while having in mind Freddie felt about Montserrat the way most of us feel about Freddie Mercury. I can definitely see and hear what he saw and heard in her, she was spectacular :heart

Have to admit I never listened to the Elaine Page stuff. Not my generation!

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1038 on: September 05, 2022, 03:39:14 PM »
Have to admit I never listened to the Elaine Page stuff. Not my generation!

Mine either!  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: QUEEN discography - Freddie Mercury 'Barcelona' 45
« Reply #1039 on: September 05, 2022, 03:57:30 PM »
FREDDIE MERCURY & MONTSERRAT CABALLE     BARCELONA 12" Extended version

EXTENDED VERSION  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOvOnOCYATo

Is the guy with the baton supposed to look like Brian May?

On a personal note: it has a very special meaning for me and my 'Bal-ti-mora' wife, especially of a time after I dropped her off at the airport after visiting me in Michigan way back when, knowing I wouldn't see her again for another three months. On my way to my then residence, I had this version playing in the car.

Nice!

OK, well that was interesting. Nice though.

MEATLOAF  A TIME FOR HEROES

A Time For Heroes (The Song)" 
 Time For Heroes (Single Version) 
A Time For Heroes (Extended Version)

A Time For Heroes was the theme of the 1987 International Summer Special Olympics World Games. The theme was composed by Jon Lyons; the instrumental versions were performed by Tangerine Dream and the vocal version was performed by Meat Loaf and Brian May

AUDIO    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ud0tLwcfG4

Tangerine Dream instrumental    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR_dk7iyGFA

Bob Kulick was a great pick for rhythm guitars because they sure as hell gave the guitars a haircut!

Nice quick Brian solo.

I actually have one Tangerine Dream CD...the soundtrack to Legend.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1040 on: September 05, 2022, 04:02:26 PM »

I Dream Of Christmas     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SunTrA_0bEg

Backing Vocals – Brian May (tracks: A1 to B4)
Bass – John Deacon (tracks: A4)
Engineer – Dave Hewson (3) (tracks: B5), Pete Schwier (tracks: A1 to B4), Simon May (tracks: B5)
Guitar – Brian May (tracks: A1, A2, A4, B2, B3, B4)
Producer – Brian May (tracks: A1 to B4), Simon May (tracks: B5)

That's an excellent melodic solo. I obviously picked this track because of John Deacon.

For completists only. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1041 on: September 05, 2022, 04:14:56 PM »

Well, sir, here's part of the closing ceremony from the London 2012 Summer Olympics.  Right from the start of this, the world was not hallucinating.  And, I'm sure, that years from now many will see this (if not now), and think that Freddie captivated the audience with the 'Ay-Ohs' that evening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVCtQmDfdyw

THAT........is fucking awesome! :hefdaddy :metal :hefdaddy

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1042 on: September 05, 2022, 04:26:59 PM »
ROGER TAYLOR & The CROSS   Shove It LP

Oh boy. This was pretty terrible all the way around. :lol

When and what did Spike play with Duran Duran? I saw them on 1/20/89 in Worcester. Was he with them then?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1043 on: September 05, 2022, 04:42:31 PM »
FREDDIE MERCURY    Final Stage Performance(s)

One mimed, one not.

We'll do the mimed performance first.

‘How Can I Go On’,       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksNoe8W2jTc    41 MILLION VIEWS!

What a great song and vocal. Goosebump city.

Poor Freddie. It really was over when the fat lady sang..

I'm gonna listen to the rest of that album. Maybe not tonight, but I want to hit it. That song was one of the best things I've heard in this thread.

This is such a great picture. I love his look in the shots for this project. What's weird is that I don't feel sad so much at watching the Queen stuff, but it's a project like this that shows he was just scratching the surface on what would be the second half of his career. He really had so much more to offer.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1044 on: September 05, 2022, 04:49:08 PM »

The 'Time' musical
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0ROWWz1EYY  promo footage, Freddie’s in here a couple of times being interviewed, as is Gene Simmons (of all people) in makeup (in '87 ?) at the 1150 mark

DOMINION THEATER, London, April 4, 1988

The sad irony of this charity event (unbeknownst to all but his inner circle at the time).  Freddie appears on stage and sings ‘Born To Rock And Roll’, ‘In My Defence’, and ‘It’s In Eveyone Of Us’ (with Cliff Richard).  During intermission, he also doubles as a vendor to hand out ice cream to the audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5Zzq0MY5LQ

Years later, this soundboard recording of ‘It’s In Everyone Of Us’ surfaced   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTs5D-fuz20

A real shame this was not made available for ‘The Solo Collection’ boxset. Heart wrenching to hear years later. Provides the perfect closing song on any Freddie 'best of 'collection.

And sadly..... closes out Freddie's singing career on stage.

Very nice! That soundboard is excellent. So sad.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 04:56:55 PM by TAC »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1045 on: September 05, 2022, 04:57:08 PM »
Ok..I think I'm caught up!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1046 on: September 06, 2022, 11:47:16 AM »
This is such a great picture. I love his look in the shots for this project.
It feels like he was really settling into his own personal style around this time. The mustache/athletic wear was really more a subculture trend, or a dating requirement for him, if you will :lol then as he got older and more settled, suddenly we see this very classic styling, being clean shaven on occasion, pastel silk suits with sneakers, classic or funny/artsy vests. Very lovely to see and looks so cool on him. I wonder how he would have aged. :sadpanda:

What's weird is that I don't feel sad so much at watching the Queen stuff, but it's a project like this that shows he was just scratching the surface on what would be the second half of his career. He really had so much more to offer.
Yeah.  :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1047 on: September 07, 2022, 04:19:43 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_Dobson  The current Mrs. May met Brian in 1986, and finally married in 2000.

Anita Dobson     Talking Of Love

Released:  1988, UK (Odeon Records)
Did not chart

Single(s): 
Talking Of Love
Charts:  #5 in UK

Certifications:  Silver in UK
(information is almost nonexistent as to singles and the album itself)

Anyone Can Fall In Love      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOhohf8VydU

Anyone Can Fall in Love was the hit single from this, reaching number 4 in the UK charts. Anita was one of the stars of EastEnders, the BBC's new soap opera that had launched the previous year, and this was the theme tune (and still is 37 years later, although I'm more of a Coronation Street fan myself, not watched 'Stenders since him out of Spandau Ballet got that mental lad to take the blame for thwacking that girl with the ashtray).

It's the 12th highest selling tv or film song in UK chart history. This was utterly ubiquitous at the time. Households around the nation gather round the glowing light of the telly with their eel pie and mash to sing along to this 3 times a week. Or however often it's on these days.

Needless to say, the other singles sank without trace.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1048 on: September 07, 2022, 06:56:47 PM »
So...

I checked to see if Barcelona is on Spotify.

It is!
It's labeled as the New Orchestrated Version

1. Barcelona....6m
2. La Japonaise....2m
3. The Fallen Priest....1.7m
4. Ensueno....1.7m
5. The Golden Boy....1.9m
6. Guide Me Home....3m
7. How Can I Go On....15.3m
8. Exercise In Free Love....1.5m
9. Overture Piccante...1.2m

Wait..they made a song about Japanese mayonaise?  :D

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1049 on: September 07, 2022, 09:10:39 PM »

Bruce McGill makes everything better.