Author Topic: QUEEN Discography- MONTREAL '81 in theaters near you  (Read 70735 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: QUEEN discography-NEWS OF THE WORLD album cover artist
« Reply #455 on: April 27, 2022, 03:25:19 PM »
I always thought that that cover had a real 50's sci-fi vibe to it, but never realized that it was an actual recreation of a cover from that era.  Makes total sense, though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: QUEEN discography-NEWS OF THE WORLD North American Tour
« Reply #456 on: April 27, 2022, 04:21:37 PM »
An interesting documentary that was included on the NOTW box set https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckdFuW-sTTo   

WOW! Just spent the last hour watching this. This is some amazing footage.

Love the bit where Freddie and engineer are fiddling with the mixing desk.

Interesting thoughts from Brian on the importance of the band doing soundchecks together.

There's a couple of spots where Freddie looks sad. One is at 48:25, and again at the end when he says "the show goes on" and stares at the camera.  It's haunting, actually.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #457 on: April 27, 2022, 05:18:17 PM »
Updating for News Of The World..

Album Rankings
Sheer Heart Attack
Queen II
Queen
A Day At The Races
A Night At The Opera
News Of The World

These are the tracks that I will throw into the Queen Ranker at the end of the thread. I still may add some songs from these albums.

Queen
Keep Yourself Alive
Great King Rat
Liar
Son And Daughter

Queen II
Father To Son
White Queen
Ogre Battle
The March Of The Black Queen

Sheer Heart Attack
Brighton Rock
Killer Queen
Flick Of The Wrist
Lily Of The Valley
Now I'm Here
Stone Cold Crazy

A Night At The Opera
Death On Two Legs
You're My Best friend
'39
Love Of My Life
Sweet Lady
Bohemian Rhapsody

A Day At The Races
Tie Your Mother Down
You Take My Breath Away
Long Away
You And I
Somebody To Love

News Of The World
We Are The Champions
Spread Your Wings
It's Late
Sleeping On The Sidewalk
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #458 on: April 27, 2022, 07:20:59 PM »
I just want to say that I definitely prefer the fast version of WWRY.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #459 on: April 28, 2022, 05:26:45 AM »
I just want to say that I definitely prefer the fast version of WWRY.

Agree. Massively agree. So much more balls.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: April 29, 2022, 07:17:58 AM »
^
Other BBC highlights, some with more balls, were 'Doing Alright', 'See What A Fool I've Been', 'Modern Times Rock n Roll' [Session 4], and most certainly 'Son And Daughter' [Session 2] and 'Spread Your Wings'.  'White Queen' and 'Nevermore' also go on the 'best of' BBC sessions.

(dealt with bank and police precinct visits because the organization I'm treasurer of had a $4650 check stolen in the mail and 'washed' and deposited. >:(  Also working on various repairs regarding our future home sale.  'Time waits for no one....)

moving on.............
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 07:33:41 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography-BICYCLE RACE / FAT BOTTOMED GIRLS
« Reply #461 on: April 29, 2022, 07:23:45 AM »
BICYCLE RACE / FAT BOTTOMED GIRLS (double A side)

Released: October 13, 1978
Charts:  UK # 11, USA #24
Netherlands #5, Norway #7, France #7, Portugal #9, Ireland #10, Belgium #15, New Zealand #20, Austria #21, West Germany #27, Australia #28

2018  USA #19

Certifications:  Gold in UK
2x Platinum in USA

VIDEOS  FGB  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMnjF1O4eH0    108 million views
Bicycle Race https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt0V0_1MS0Q  17 million views

I think I have watched these a couple of times.  The slo mo 70s stuff irritated me then, irritates me now.  Worth it to me for some of the various movements of the lighting rig known as ‘The Pizza Oven’.  (oh, and there’s a scantily clad girl or three….)

Posting separately due to the many chart listings, and some deserve special posts.  Queen singles were often released two weeks or more before the album.  That would end up being a bit disappointing, especially when tours started in between those dates, and one still hadn’t heard songs they were playing.  That would play into my next band concert.

‘Jazz’ tomorrow
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 11:39:03 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: QUEEN discography-Bicycle Race / Fat Bottomed Girls JAZZ tomorrow
« Reply #462 on: April 29, 2022, 08:04:29 AM »
Bicycle Race is a maddening song. It's one of my favorite Freddie vocals; he sings the crap out of that song, but it's just so... I won't say silly, but it's not a song I put on to be transported somewhere else, you know? 

The girl at 1:29 is just... (and no, it's just her face).

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #463 on: April 29, 2022, 08:15:34 AM »
I’m am eagerly awaiting the 45th anniversary photo and shoot😉😀😀😀
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 12:46:07 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #464 on: April 29, 2022, 02:54:47 PM »
Oh, and TAC, if you have any Spotify numbers as to those BBC sessions, they would as always be much appreciated. :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #465 on: April 29, 2022, 02:58:02 PM »
Oh, and TAC, if you have any Spotify numbers as to those BBC sessions, they would as always be much appreciated. :tup

Working on it! ;D

Actually...I will work on it. I'll try and get those up by Monday.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #466 on: April 29, 2022, 04:07:20 PM »

Working on it! ;D

Actually...I will work on it. I'll try and get those up by Monday.

Now you are starting to sound like me😉

‘Life is what happens while you’re busy making plans.’  John Lennon
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 07:17:12 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #467 on: April 30, 2022, 12:40:04 AM »
JAZZ

Released:  November 10, 1978, UK (EMI), November 14, 1978 USA (Elektra)

Charts:  UK #2, USA #6
Netherlands #3, West Germany #5, Japan #5, Norway #6, Portugal #6, Sweden #6, France #7, Austria #8, Canada #13, Australia #15, New Zealand #20,
Italy #36

Certifications:
Gold in UK, Austria, France, West Germany
Platinum in USA, Netherlands, Poland, Switzerland

Singles: ‘Bicycle Race’ / ‘Fat Bottomed Girls’ (double A side), October 13, 1978
Charts:  UK # 11, USA #24 (already mentioned)
Netherlands #5, Norway #7, France #7, Portugal #9, Ireland #10, Belgium #15, New Zealand #20, Austria #21, West Germany #27, Australia #28

Don’t Stop Me Now b/w In Only Seven Days (More Of That Jazz USA)   January 26, 1979
Charts:  UK #11, USA #86
Ireland #10, Netherlands #14, Belgium #23, West Germany #35
(more chart info on this later)

‘Jealousy’ and ‘Mustapha’ were released in a few countries (including USA) DNC.

Written, arranged and performed exclusively by Queen
Freddie Mercury - Vocals, piano
Brian May - Guitars, vocals
Roger Taylor - Percussion, vocals
John Deacon - Bass guitar

A Queen / Roy Thomas Baker Production
Various credit thanks, including (David Palmer of Jethro Tull, as well as
'Thunderbolt courtesy of God'
Recorded: July - October 1978 at Superbear Studios, Nice, France, and Mountain Studios, Montreux.

SIDE ONE
Mustapha (Mercury)  3:03
Fat Bottomed Girls (May)  4:14
Jealousy (Mercury)  3:14
Bicycle Race (Mercury)  3:04
If You Can't Beat Them (Deacon)  4:15
Let Me Entertain You (Mercury)  3:01

SIDE TWO
Dead on Time (May)  3:23
In Only Seven Days (Deacon)  2:30
Dreamer's Ball (May)  3:30
Fun It (Taylor)  3:29
Leaving Home Ain't Easy (May)  3:15
Don't Stop Me Now (Mercury)  3:29
More of That Jazz (Taylor)  4:12

2011 Universal reissue   
Fat Bottomed Girls (45 version) / Bicycle Race (Instrumental) 3:09 / Don't Stop Me Now (long-lost guitars) / Let Me Entertain You (Montreal Forum, 1981) / Dreamer's Ball (Early acoustic take,)         
Comments about the bonus disc:  having the FBG 45 version, the alternate 'Don't Stop Me Now' is OK, and any 'Let Me Entertain You' live is good.
Just as the ‘Feelings Feelings' demo on NOTW and 'You Take My Breath Away' Earl's Court versions were gems, the acoustic demo of 'Dreamer’s Ball'  is yet another previously unreleased nugget.  Very similar to the enjoyable singalong live acoustic version

What they could have included were any number of FBG, LMEY, DSMN, and DBall live recordings from the 78/79 tours.  Add that with the three good bonus tracks and live takes, and you would have had something.  There are various demo snippets of some songs floating around, have them in their complete version, and you'd have one great extra offering. But they didn’t.

Another nice gatefold album sleeve, a nice picture of the band in the studio, a really good band photo on the plastic cardboard vinyl sleeve.  But, sadly, no lyrics were included with the original release, and they didn't even bother to put the times of the songs on the vinyl circle or listed with the album?

Oh, geez, but the young guy in me at the time would be remiss without mentioning the controversial poster.  It looked good on my bedroom wall, and in my music rooms later on (often unnoticed as the years went by)  The poster was unavailable in the Bible Belt (where one could order it with the coupon provided :facepalm:)

A review years later    https://www.udiscovermusic.com/behind-the-albums/queen-jazz/

and from the ever hateful Rolling Stone  https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/10-classic-albums-rolling-stone-originally-panned-101316/ac-dc-high-voltage-1976-101955/ 

"Sometimes a reviewer just seems to have a really, really low opinion of a band, which seems to be the case with Dave Marsh and Queen."

Here's just a couple of differences between Jazz and NOTW :  it charted 18 weeks in the USA, five weeks in the Top Ten.  Meanwhile, 'News Of The World' was in the charts for 37 weeks, thirteen weeks  in the Top Ten.

Roy Thomas Baker was back again after a two album absence, and working with various bands such as The Cars and Journey.  He had helped with Peter Straker on his album 'This One's On Me' with Freddie, so, Freddie called him back in to help produce.  The band were also tax exiles in Switzerland at the time, Roger saw some artwork on a wall in Montreaux, presented it to the band, and, well....what you end up with is an album that is a favorite of many, and looked at as somewhat organized chaos by others.

There is no argument that a horrible drum mix exists to varying degrees throughout the album, and the bass on 'Fun It' etc is just not good at all.

Favorites were and always will be ‘Don’t Stop Me Now’, ‘Dreamer’s Ball’, ‘Let Me Entertain You’, ‘Bicycle Race’, and ‘Jealousy’.  I always liked ‘Fat Bottomed Girls’  The ‘flow’ of the album doesn’t work for me.  ‘Fun It’ was the precursor to AOBTD, love the transposing of LVs between Roger and Freddie, but the bass and drums are putrid, and it was absolutely the first band song that ruined the flow for me without any trepidation.  ‘More of that Jazz’ made me think it was their last studio album, and the ending mish mosh is both corny and wasteful…yet intriging.

Do not ask me what ‘Mustapha’ is or means....just be prepared if you turn the volume up at the beginning, because the change might knock your socks off later.  Just like all the other baker dozen songs on this album, there's something Queen-ish to enjoy. 

this was their fifth studio album release in less than four years.  So a bit of laziness had set in....and yet, there are so many instances where the effort and layers and extra work shine.  I will admit, there is a lot to like.  And yet, personally, for the first time, there was a lot I did not quite like. 

« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 07:02:41 AM by DragonAttack »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: QUEEN discography- JAZZ
« Reply #468 on: April 30, 2022, 06:20:51 AM »
Going to read through this tonight and listen to it. I’m looking forward to this one.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #469 on: April 30, 2022, 06:29:29 AM »
This is the only Queen album I own beyond ANATO. I've always really liked it. I get that it was too weird for some folks, I had friends that really panned Bicycle Race, but I always thought it rocked. Anyway, good album that I still listen to.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #470 on: April 30, 2022, 09:39:12 AM »
Funny that you say that, because this is where Queen kinda started to lose me, and I was just going "Okay, we're getting a bit too far out there now."  Even for me.

But I can't deny that they do what they want, and they do it damned well.  Great stuff.  My buddy Chris had this album, and we checked it out a few times, but I don't think I ever picked it up.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #471 on: April 30, 2022, 09:57:43 AM »
I think this is better than all the records before.  :D Now hit me.

This is the first record that I can listen to, without the urge to skip a song or two. And Bicycle Race is all kinds of awesome.  :metal :metal :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #472 on: April 30, 2022, 04:03:58 PM »
So, I'm about to dive into Jazz shortly.

Here are the Spotify totals.

Similar to WWRY and WATC, I am quite surprised at the gap between Fat Bottom Girls and Bicycle Race. I just figured they went hand in hand.

Also Don't Stop Me Now has 1.28 BILLION streams?? :omg: I do not recognize that by title, and it wasn't on my Queen's Greatest Hits.
I mentioned it to The Lovely Mrs TAC, and she started singing it to me. :lol
Nope, I still didn't recognize it. She said they used to play it on the radio. I don't remember.
Maybe when I hear it, it'll ring a bell.

Mustapha....6.6m
Fat Bottomed Girls....204.9m
Jealousy....9.8m
Bicycle Race....113.1m
If You Can't Beat Them....4.3m
Let Me Entertain You....4.9m
Dead On Time....3.7m
In Only Seven Days....4.2m
Dreamers Ball....4.9m
Fun It....2.9m
Living Home Ain't Easy....3.0m
Don't Stop Me Now....1.28B
More Of That Jazz....3.6m

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #473 on: April 30, 2022, 04:27:13 PM »
Joe, before I listen, I had a couple of comments on your write up.

1. Dave Marsh is an all time douche.
2. WTF is AOBTD? You cannot use abbreviations util we get to the actual song or album! :lol
3. David Palmer? What does he play/do on the album?
4. Why the return of Roy Thomas Baker?
5. I found NOTW to be quite lazy. Are you saying this is even more lazy??

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #474 on: April 30, 2022, 06:20:29 PM »
OK. Jazz. Here we go..

Mustapha....Gee, I wonder how they came up with this title? WTF? NowIknownowIknownowIknow.. This will be the one and only time I listen to this song.

Fat Bottomed Girls....Obviously familiar with this. I've always liked this song. I love the arrangement. Such a great chorus.

Jealousy....This is nice enough. I bet it'd be better live. I hope they play it. I'd love to get a properly vetted version. Freddie sounds a bit phlegmmy here. I didn't really love some of his inflection choices.

Bicycle Race....This is a sneaky tour de force for Freddie. But how serious can we take a song about bicycles? It's actually been years since I've heard this. It's enjoyable for sure, but is partly to blame for me never really diving into Queen when I was younger.

If You Can't Beat Them....A John Deacon song. I like it. I am trying to place that opening riff. It sounds so familiar to me. The chorus is a bit..um.. Anyway, I dig it. Really cool sounding solo. Also sounds familiar. Can't place it though.

Let Me Entertain You....I am familiar with this song and have always enjoyed it. I mostly know it from Live Killers.

Dead On Time....Hey this song rocks. The wiki article mentions it was never played live. WTF? It begs for it.

In Only Seven Days....Deacon's songs are so simple and enjoyable. Always a nice pace to them.
I would've loved for him to have made an album with Rod Stewart.

Dreamers Ball....Not my thing.

Fun It....More like fuck it..

Living Home Ain't Easy....Oh boy..we're not doing good here.

Don't Stop Me Now....I absolutely do not recognize this. It's a good song though. It ain't 1.28 Billion Streams good, but good nonetheless. One of the better ones here...which isn't very difficult.

More Of That Jazz....How about..less of that jazz.

OK..this is a tough album to get into. And I was really looking forward to it to. This goes to the bottom of the list.

Mustapha might literally be the worst thing I've heard in this thread so far.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #475 on: April 30, 2022, 08:08:00 PM »

If You Can't Beat Them....A John Deacon song. I like it. I am trying to place that opening riff. It sounds so familiar to me. The chorus is a bit..um.. Anyway, I dig it. Really cool sounding solo. Also sounds familiar. Can't place it though.

I got it!

Joe...c'mon...do you know??

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #476 on: May 01, 2022, 12:31:18 AM »
Under which rock have you been hiding, if you've never heard Don't Stop Me Now before?  :omg: ;)
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #477 on: May 01, 2022, 07:10:19 AM »
40some years ago, we're on our way to a gig in Manistee, Michigan.  As we round a curve on the way downtown, there's a girl walking away from us on the sidewalk a little ways ahead of us.  We watch as her fully padded seat rocks up, down, left side, right side... you know what I'm saying.  At exactly the same time, and in key, the drummer Marcus and I sing out:

♫ Fat bottomed girls, you make the rockin' world go 'round! ♫

It was perfect.  We, and the rest of the car, bust out laughing.  True story.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #478 on: May 01, 2022, 08:44:00 AM »

[/quote

I got it!

A faster ‘Little Willy’?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #479 on: May 01, 2022, 09:28:08 AM »

I got it!

A faster ‘Little Willy’?

Nope and when I tell you you won’t be able to unhear it.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 01:45:48 PM by TAC »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #480 on: May 01, 2022, 01:06:33 PM »
Under which rock have you been hiding, if you've never heard Don't Stop Me Now before?  :omg: ;)

Harry, it doesn't ring a bell. I'm listening to it again. Like I said, my wife started singing the lyrics and said they used to play it on the radio. I listened to a ton of radio in the 80's, especially the early 80's and I really don't recall it.

It's actually a cool song.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #481 on: May 01, 2022, 01:22:16 PM »
Joe, here are the Queen On Air Spotify stats:

Queen On Air

Disc 1

My Fairy King  2/5/73....25.3m
Keep Yourself Alive 2/5/73....43.7m
Doing All Right 2/5/73....6.4m
Liar 2/5/73....4.1m
See What A Fool I've Been 7/25/73....3.4m
Keep Yourself Alive 7/25/73....3.2m
Liar 7/25/73....2.7m
Son And Daughter 7/25/73.....2.8m
Oger Battle 12/3/73....2.5m
Modern Times Rock n Roll....2.1m
Great King Rat 12/3/73....2.1m
Son And Daughter 12/3/73....2m

Disc 2

Modern Times Rock n Roll  4/3/74....1.7m
Nevermore  4/3/74....2.0m
White Queen  4/3/74.....1.8m
Now I'm Here 10/16/74....1.9m
Stone Cold Crazy  10/16/74....1.8m
Flick Of The Wrist  10/16/74....2.4m
Tenement Funster 10/16/74....1.4m
We Will Rock You  10/28/77....2.9m
We Will Rock You (fast) 10/28/77....4.9m
Spread Your Wings 10/28/77....1.8m
It's Late 10/28/77....1.4m
My Melancholy Blues 10/28/77....1.8m

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography-NEWS OF THE WORLD North American Tour
« Reply #482 on: May 02, 2022, 06:47:34 AM »
An interesting documentary that was included on the NOTW box set https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckdFuW-sTTo   

WOW! Just spent the last hour watching this. This is some amazing footage.

Love the bit where Freddie and engineer are fiddling with the mixing desk.

Interesting thoughts from Brian on the importance of the band doing soundchecks together.

There's a couple of spots where Freddie looks sad. One is at 48:25, and again at the end when he says "the show goes on" and stares at the camera.  It's haunting, actually.

Since Saturday was Brian May Day ;), my wife and I sat down and watched this for the first time (I'd seen snippets).  She let out an audible gasp at 'the show goes on' part.  Haunting.

And then watched that part again.  My wife's eyes were watering.....

Thanks for the recommendation :tup

And thanks for the Spotify numbers for the BBC.  It's almost if most people listened to a couple, and then tuned out, other than WWRY Fast.  A shame as to some of the good/great versions.  Then again, I guess they aren't bad as compared to other band's regular outputs.

I did write directly on the RTB and such.  Here's a brief tie in http://www.freddiemercury.com/en/news/freddie-produced-peter-straker-album-this-ones-on-me-reissued    Sorry about the AOBTD acronym.  Hadn't fixed my notes from my Word doc.  And I still can't place the opening riffs for IYCBThem

« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 06:58:26 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #483 on: May 02, 2022, 06:55:07 AM »
I think this is better than all the records before.  :D Now hit me.

Never!  :D  I mentioned at the outset that it was/is the favorite of many, and I totally get it, because there is a lot to like.  I have a version that ends with DSMN, and yet MOTJazz has that album ending feel to it (the only time a Roger tune was placed in that slot).

Oh, and the amount of times FBG has gone through my head when walking in any public place.  btw, I loved Manistee!!!  What a great lakeside town.

I'll post the separate 'Don't Stop Me Now' bit later tonight.  I know I just heard it on its umpteenth TV ad over the weekend.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #484 on: May 02, 2022, 01:42:14 PM »

Mustapha might literally be the worst thing I've heard in this thread so far.

I might agree.  I think that song is a gigantic bag of dog excrement.

The bulk of Jazz is a hard pass for me.  I do love the biggies (Fat Bottomed Girls, Bicycle Race, Don't Stop Me Now) a lot, and I also like Let Me Entertain You and Dead On Time, but the rest can be thrown into the nearest pond for all I care.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: May 02, 2022, 04:55:32 PM »
My visits to the dentist over the last seven years have been pretty normal, the last two these past two weeks brutal.

Time for me to visit the pond and listen to this whole album again, because I do still enjoy it ;)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #486 on: May 02, 2022, 05:23:52 PM »

Time for me to visit the pond and listen to this whole album again, because I do still enjoy it ;)

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #487 on: May 02, 2022, 06:49:56 PM »
Jazz is the first album in the Queen discography that I don’t own. I have listened to it a handful of times before and just gave it another listen. It’s actually pretty decent. I’m not normally a fan of the songs with Brian or Roger doing the lead vocal, but I kind of like Living Home Ain’t Easy.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #488 on: May 02, 2022, 06:59:01 PM »
I’m not normally a fan of the songs with Brian or Roger doing the lead vocal, but I kind of like Living Home Ain’t Easy.

Other than All Dead All Dead, I've really enjoyed the Brian songs.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #489 on: May 03, 2022, 07:40:40 AM »
When I first started REALLY digging in to Queen, and got the Hollywood remasters, Jazz was a personal favorite for a while.  It hasn't aged well, in the sense that it's not a record I can just put on at any time and immerse myself in it (like "Clutching At Straws" by Marillion) but if I am in the mood it still delivers.   Then again, a lot of it is due to Freddie; the man is just a joy to listen to.  Rarely, in my book, does the hype live up to the reality, but in my humble view, I think maybe even sometimes he doesn't get ENOUGH credit (or at least, people fixate on some of the things that aren't important and lose sight of the fact that the man could sing ANYTHING).