Author Topic: QUEEN Discography- MONTREAL '81 in theaters near you  (Read 70546 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: QUEEN discography
« Reply #140 on: February 22, 2022, 06:33:13 PM »
I get this is the DT forum and it is natural to discuss them covering those songs, but I'd rather focus on the awesomeness of the Queen originals. :)

Well, focus on them then.

We're listening..
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 06:39:26 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #141 on: February 22, 2022, 08:58:33 PM »
 :corn
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #142 on: February 23, 2022, 06:43:55 AM »
@ Joe...at the risk of annoying Kev, are there any good covers from bands that you are aware of from these first three albums..besides DT and Metallica?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #143 on: February 23, 2022, 07:28:10 AM »
"Covers" or "GOOD covers"?   

Def Leppard has a live version of "Now I'm Here" on one of the Adrenalize singles, and I think they did "Dear Friends" on the Yeah! album (as a bonus track).

I have a tribute album called "Dragon Attack" that has "Sheer Heart Attack" done by James LaBrie and I think it's Marty Friedman; I forget the rhythm section.  On the same album - and you might like this - is "Keep Yourself Alive" with Mark Boals and Yngwie.  I don't remember the rhythm section here either.  EDIT:  I looked it up; the rhythm section on SHA is Blue Murder (Carmine Appice and Tony Franklin) and on KYA it's Ozzy's old rhythm section, Rudy Sarzo and Tommy Aldridge.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #144 on: February 23, 2022, 07:29:32 AM »
Cool, thanks Bill. I'll check them out!

Puled up the Dragon Attack tribute album on wiki. It's a hard rock stacked lineup. Wow, I'm going to check those out as we go through the thread.

Not familiar with It's Late, but I see John Bush on vocals. WOW!!! The song is on News Of The World apparently...so I won't get ahead! ;D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 07:59:00 AM by TAC »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: February 23, 2022, 02:35:08 PM »
Found this on a quick google search   https://ultimateclassicrock.com/queen-cover-songs/

Other than a select few, I'm not fond of Queen or Beatle covers.  I see so many on Fbook and give them about ten seconds of my time.  I know there are some really good ones out there.  What Bill mentioned is fairly good.  Then again, and don't ask me why, here is an offering that I get a kick out of more than the rest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbpFkiYeNKk&t=1s

As to Spotify, I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the numbers for 'Killer Queen', though I am.  'Now I'm Here' sounds about right.  Surprised at how 'low' they are for 'Stone Cold Crazy'.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #146 on: February 23, 2022, 02:41:07 PM »

Other than a select few, I'm not fond of Queen or Beatle covers.  I see so many on Fbook and give them about ten seconds of my time.  I know there are some really good ones out there.

I guess it depends on if you're a fan of the band doing them.

Found this on a quick google search   https://ultimateclassicrock.com/queen-cover-songs/

Holy shit does Klaus nail Love Of My Life!!  :hefdaddy

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: February 23, 2022, 02:50:20 PM »
Wow you're not kidding. That was so good.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: February 23, 2022, 04:44:24 PM »
Good lord, that cover of Son and Daughter by CoC was so filthy, and awesome!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: February 25, 2022, 07:02:59 AM »

I'll agree tenfold.  That was great! :tup
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: February 25, 2022, 07:14:01 AM »
BBC Session 5

Recorded At Maida Vale Studio, October 16.
Broadcast On Radio 1 November 4th, As Part Of Bob Harris's 'Sounds Of The Seventies' Programme   

Now I'm Here (May) 4:19    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V136I-g2VuQ
Flick Of The Wrist (Mercury)  3:27    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gvv27f6TNZE
Tenement Funster (Taylor)  3:00    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3xIZmTrzPs
Stone Cold Crazy (Queen)  2:17     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zy3ZJE0KPg

Kind of a lazy effort.  The backing tapes with new and similar lead vocals and an occasional ad lib thrown in.  Roger’s LV on ‘Tenement Funster’ is a bit more in the forefront and grittier, and one BV near the end is eliminated.  A guitar note is used at the end where it segued into ‘Flick of the Wrist’

‘Flick Of The Wrist’.  Just the piano intro, a clear ending, and they do make a change as compared to the studio release.  During the instrumental, Brian changes things up with one of the most gawdawful guitar arrangements possible. Can't believe he played it this way, or that Freddie would allow it.  Nails on chalkboard material.

(this should allow some time for others to chime in, and provide me a few days to allow a hairline fracture in my left ankle  to heal and be less painful.  Actually .... listening to FOTW just now might have been worse ;))

added for fun....  as they seemed to have during the photo shoots with Mick Rock

« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 10:29:41 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: February 25, 2022, 08:23:05 AM »

It's funny, I never would have thought of Son and Daughter as a precursor to sludge-metal, but when CoC plays it, it totally fits.  :lol

‘Flick Of The Wrist’.  Just the piano intro, a clear ending, and they do make a change as compared to the studio release.  During the instrumental, Brian changes things up with one of the most gawdawful guitar arrangements possible. Can't believe he played it this way, or that Freddie would allow it.  Nails on chalkboard material.

I don't know, I kinda see what Brian was going for, but like you, it misses the mark.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #152 on: February 25, 2022, 09:43:48 AM »
I have a Tribute to Queen CD that came free with an issue of Classic Rock magazine back in 2005.

The songs featured are:
Bohemian Rhapsody - Grey Delisle
One Vision - James LaBrie/Bruce Bouillet
Good Old Fashioned Loverboy - Jason Mraz
Tie Your Mother Down - Talisman
Stone Cold Crazy - Enuff Z’Nuff
Don’t Stop Me Now - The Vandals
I Want It All - Robin McAuley & Chris Impellitteri
Fat Bottomed Girls - Hayseed Dixie
It's Late - Anthrax
Another One Bites the Dust - Batfish Boys
Save Me - Jeff Scott Soto & Bruce Kulick
We Will Rock You - Jeff Scott Soto

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #153 on: February 25, 2022, 10:36:48 AM »

Holy shit does Klaus nail Love Of My Life!!  :hefdaddy
[/quote]

This is from the Scorps’ unplugged live album, Acoustica. Highly recommended, if you can track down a copy.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #154 on: February 25, 2022, 12:07:13 PM »

It's funny, I never would have thought of Son and Daughter as a precursor to sludge-metal, but when CoC plays it, it totally fits.  :lol

The good news..yes that song could and was easily set for that style, fitting too that I hear a ton of Sabbath in the first two albums.
The bad news...I hated it. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #155 on: February 25, 2022, 12:16:55 PM »
@ Joe...at the risk of annoying Kev, are there any good covers from bands that you are aware of from these first three albums..besides DT and Metallica?

My favorite Queen cover is from their 4th album by Ronney.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71IDAMW6jRs
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #156 on: February 25, 2022, 12:18:38 PM »

My favorite Queen cover is from their 4th album by Ronney.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71IDAMW6jRs

I never knew Mitt had a band.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: February 25, 2022, 12:55:49 PM »
 :lol

Rooney.  BTW, lead singer is the son of Talia Shire.  Cousin to Nick Cage.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: February 25, 2022, 01:19:16 PM »
:lol

Rooney.  BTW, lead singer is the son of Talia Shire.  Cousin to Nick Cage.

"Adrian!"

(By the way, I just found out that Jason Schwartzman is Talia Shire's son.)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: February 25, 2022, 01:23:21 PM »
That's his brother.  Did you know he was in a band to that released a few albums as well?

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: March 01, 2022, 09:37:55 AM »
(sorry for the delay.  Suffered a hairline fracture of my left ankle last week, so I'm not getting to and spending much time at the computer.  The worst part:  cancelling our trip to DC this weekend to cohost another DT preshow and see the concert.   :tdwn >:( :censored))

We bought that Classic Rock magazine because of the cover versions eons ago.

A couple more covers here before moving on, the first being Dwight Yoakam doing 'CLTCL'  I watched that show because it was mentioned all over the Queen message boards at the time.  Not a country fan, but I enjoyed it, and he always came off as admiring the artist who wrote it.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SM_BOayT7Y

I came across this years ago, and I found it quite fascinating and surprising.  'Sheer Heart Attack' had finally reached the Top 30 in the States, and here was a young band already performing 'Now I'm Here' at a high school dance.  It would be almost three years before the release of their ground breaking debut album.   Not the best recording, but the pictures are terrific.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDMWFZglQyw 

Up next:  The nasty Queenies are back!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 10:14:46 AM by DragonAttack »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #161 on: March 01, 2022, 03:54:39 PM »
Wow, that Van Halen cover was interesting.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: March 01, 2022, 06:36:10 PM »
LIVE AT THE RAINBOW....November '74

Released:  September 8, 2014, UK (Virgin/EMI), USA (Hollywood)
Charts:  UK #11, US Hard Rock Albums #5, US Billboard #66

Netherlands #7, Germany #9, Austria #12, Scotland #12, Belgium #13, Italy #15, Spain #17, Switzerland #19, Portugal #22, Hungary #34, Finland #40, Ireland #54, France #55

US Billboard Video Sales #2

(fan made photo montage from the vinyl sleeves)

Liner Notes
QUEEN are
Roger Taylor: Drums and Backing Vocals (and lead on two songs for one line each)
Freddie Mercury: Lead Vocals and Piano
Brian May: Guitars and Backing Vocals, ukulele on "Bring Back That Leroy Brown"
John Deacon: Bass Guitar and Backing Vocals, triangle on "Killer Queen"
... and nobody played synthesizer

Executive Producers: Brian May and Roger Taylor
Mix Produced by Justin Shirley-Smith, Joshua J. Macrae and Kris Fredriksson
Recorded by Roy Thomas Baker and Mike Stone
November show mastered by Mazen Murad at Metropolis Mastering
Post Production Supervision: Kris Fredriksson and Justin Shirley-Smith

The complete video:    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGMOiMWGTzI&t=7s

1. Procession (May)  1:18
2. Now I'm Here (May)  5:00
3. Ogre Battle (Mercury)  5:31
4. Father To Son (May)  5:55
5. White Queen (As It Began) (May)  5:34
6. Flick Of The Wrist (Mercury)  4:07
Medley:
      7. In The Lap Of The Gods (Mercury)  3:20
      8. Killer Queen (Mercury)  1:26
      9. The March Of The Black Queen (Mercury)  1:36
    10. Bring Back That Leroy Brown (Mercury)  1:41
11. Son And Daughter (May)  10:40 *
14. Keep Yourself Alive (May)  4:27 *
17. Seven Seas Of Rhye (Mercury)  3:30
18. Stone Cold Crazy (Queen)  2:40
19. Liar (Mercury)  8:39
20. In The Lap Of The Gods... Revisited (Mercury)  4:10
21. Big Spender (Coleman/Fields)  1:31
22. Modern Times Rock 'N' Roll (Taylor)  3:12
23. Jailhouse Rock (Lieber/Stoller)   4:10
24. God Save The Queen (trad. arr. May)  1:18
TOTAL TIME  79:55

* Once again divided into three segments (???)

‘Great King Rat’ and ‘See What A Fool I’ve Been’ were dropped.  The rock n roll medley has been modified to include ‘Modern Times Rock n Roll’ into the encore.
‘Killer Queen’ is now #2 on the UK singles charts, and ‘Sheer Heart Attack’ would enter their album charts at #6 a few days later.  The increased confidence and bravado from the March show is quite apparent.   ‘Mister Two Fingers Freddie Mercury’ is now the ever confident ringleader, Brian is healthy and, well, Brian…., and Roger is on fire again.  The backing vocals, as well as the three and four part harmonies really shine this night.

The beginning of the video shows the band arriving.  This would appear in the video for their upcoming single.

'Procession' is played to the darkened stage.  Freddie would stand on one side, with a look alike on the other at the beginning of ‘Now I’m Here’ (not very apparent in the video).  This song would remain a concert staple.  Three Queen II songs follow.  The early medley section is introduced during this tour, constantly evolving, which would lead to the momentary confusion as to what was being played throughout their career.  ‘Killer Queen’ would later have a verse added, but would never be played in full.  TMOTBQ would never be played in full as well.  The mostly instrumental medley ending ‘Bring Back That Leroy Brown’ is simple nonsense and fun.  Plus, Brian kills it on the ukuele!  😊  ‘Son And Daughter’ has now expanded to over ten minutes, incorporating much of the ‘Brighton Rock’ solo.  'Flick Of The Wrist' is a welcome addition, with a nice finishing touch. 

'Keep Yourself Alive', 'Seven Seas of Rhye', and two others mentioned later are standout rockers.  'In The Lap Of The Gods....Revisited' was the perfect finale on the 'Sheer Heart Attack' album.  It provides the perfect singalong arm waving ending for the concert proper.  And 'God Save The Queen', recorded weeks earlier, closes out a terrific show.

As to John Deacon:  one of our favorites, and especially the last couple minutes, is ‘Liar’.  One of his brief moments in the spotlight, and he always shines.  Throughout songs where you are listening to Brian’s lead or Freddie’s vocals, such as ‘Liar’, ‘Son And Daughter’, and the killer versions of ‘Stone Cold Crazy’ and ‘Modern Times Rock n Roll’, his bass is often providing something more atune to a rhythm guitar than a bass.  And he even does some BVs.

A much more complete and better review can be found here:
https://peanutbutterpope.wordpress.com/2017/07/01/special-review-22-live-at-the-rainbow-74-queen/

from wiki:  "The video footage was previously released as Live at the Rainbow, a half-hour film containing footage from both November shows. It was shown in cinemas in the 1970s and 1980s as an opener to films, including longer concert films by Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, as well as the release of Jaws 2 in British cinemas. More footage from the November shows was later released on VHS as part of the 'Box of Tricks' box set in 1992, though this footage was heavily overdubbed. Although not to the same extent, the November concerts on this release are also overdubbed, however they also employ pitch correction in some areas. This extends to the March concert as well, however there are no overdubs on that concert."

"Stone Cold Crazy" was made available on record, but years later as a b-side in 1989. 

More information and pictures are available on the terrific  queenlive.ca  website (click '74' and scroll down to the November London shows.

Last note here:  I began saving the links of pictures and various songs a few months back, in order for those reading to have quick access to them.  My wife and I quit being 'completists' eons ago (both of us bought the 'Box of Tricks' mentioned earlier in the 90s).  Because of this thread, I found the video link. It was a pleasure to watch this complete Rainbow concert together for the first time over the weekend.   :tup
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 05:20:10 AM by DragonAttack »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #163 on: March 01, 2022, 07:37:00 PM »
The Live At The Rainbow set is awesome. But I was so disappointed to get only the first minute and a half of MOTBQ. I was so looking forward to the live version.

Both shows together are an amazing document. Love the power of the tracks played live.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: March 02, 2022, 08:16:59 AM »

'Procession' is played to the darkened stage.  Freddie would stand on one side, with a look alike on the other at the beginning of ‘Now I’m Here’ (not very apparent in the video). 

Something I've heard about many times, but never really got to see in a way that does it justice.  It's such a cool idea, and the song itself seems to play into that idea on multiple levels - the sound panning, the lyrics themselves - and I'm sorry I haven't experienced it properly.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: March 03, 2022, 11:29:54 AM »
As to 'The March of the Black Queen', I can understand not playing all of it. Maybe it was just too much to do live.  A couple minutes more would have been quite nice.

As to them 'missing' the beginning of 'Now I'm Here':  I could have filmed concerts (and most sporting events) better with two cameras instead of the multitudes used.  The editors miss so much or focus on the wrong things at the wrong times.  The artsy fartsy triple camera montages just eff things up.  Always wonder how much these people are smoking in the booth ;)

I want to watch the band, not close ups of Freddie or Roger's sticks and drumkit, or camera angle changes too often.  At least they did a decent job of filming John at the 1:02:30 mark onward for 'Liar', and various other points on the drum stand and doing BVs.  And catching Brian on the catwalk at times.

At a Queen concert, you had the songs, a visual treat of watching a great front man and the rest doing various things, and....the lights.  Even at this point in their career, when one gets the chance to just enjoy the show during 'Modern Times' and 'Jailhouse Rock', it all adds to the experience.

Along with the dry ice clouds and flash pods during 'Lap....revisited'.  Bigger and better visuals are soon to come.

I'll touch on their tour of the States and Japan in a couple of days.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: March 03, 2022, 01:04:01 PM »
Many of those '70s films were too arty for their own good.  The stupid camera effects, and, in the worst cases (Zep, Genesis) the fantasy sequences interspersed.  There are so few well-shot concert videos from that era, it's a shame.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography-SHEER HEART ATTACK and the tour
« Reply #167 on: March 05, 2022, 10:05:32 AM »
The same can be said for concerts from this century (minus the fantasy stuff).

SHEER HEART ATTACK Tour

The band would continue to tour the UK after the Rainbow shows, then their first headlining tour in Europe.  After the final performance in Barcelona, they take a two month break before touring North America, starting off in Columbus, Ohio in February.

The setlists are the same as the November ’74 Rainbow performance, minus ‘Seven Seas Of Rhye’ (though played in Calgary).

JANUARY 24 EDIT:  New Concert !!! 

Ford Auditorium Detroit,  February 10th, 1975   Attendance: 2,900   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8dfDGp2E4Q  Grade: B/C
NEW!   This is now the earliest recording from 1975. 

This is the 5th date on the North American Tour, and Queen's first concert in Detroit (the show in '74 was cancelled due to Brian's illness.) This was  one of only a handful from Queen's first headlining North America tour.

"The recording is mostly complete, but the master has been damaged beyond repair leaving volume fluctuations throughout. This has been somewhat mitigated, but has the trade-off of hiss oscillating throughout the recording, especially from 'White Queen' through to 'Son and Daughter'. The band sound great here, although a touch sloppy in spots, which was usually the case for Queen at the start of their tours. Freddie is in top shape though and sounds fantastic."  queenlive.ca

The band even throw in a surprise in the setlist at last minute. After 'God Save the Queen' plays signaling the end of the show, the band returns to the stage and performs 'See What a Fool I've Been' as a final encore!!! It would be the only time Queen would return to the stage after GSTQ.  This is the song's first performance since their last US tour, and it would be played occasionally for the rest of the year.   

Kansas was the opening act.  Guitarist Rich Williams recalls playing their opening set to constant boos and shouts for Queen.

I could not get permission to go to this, as it was a Monday school night  :sad:   :'(  and I wouldn't have made it back to the friend's home who was driving until 2 or 3AM. He had graduated HS, as did a couple of others, so they could sleep or party as long as they wanted afterwards.  One poor soul was still in HS, and looked like dog meat.  Two hours of sleep, ears still ringing......lucky fricker!

February 16, 1975  Avery Fisher Hall, Lincoln Center, New York City (attendance 2750) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_JkrB-ul8c   Grade:  B+   

After two shows at The Orpheum in Boston on the 15th, this is the second show the following day.  Yes….four shows in two days!.  It’s obvious that this is not the first Queen show for many attending.  This is a very good yet raw audience recording that adds to my enjoyment.  As does the band’s performance, the crowd, and slight but noticeable variations in ‘Son And Daughter’, ‘Liar’, ‘Modern Times’, and ‘Jailhouse Rock’.  Sadly, as often happened with audience recordings, ‘God Save The Queen’ is mostly missing (solvable by using other audience recordings). 

March 7th,   Milwaukee, WI, Uptown Theater (attendance 1750) Grade: B+  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1fy05DPqJo&t=695s

The first recording of Freddie after his diagnosis of vocal nodules.  The crowd is louder and more reactive at the beginning than the NYC crowd, but not as enthusiastic throughout.  Both NYC and Milwaukee are quality performances and recordings, with NYC easily my favorite. 

"They finish the tour on April 6th in Seattle.  This is the last gig of the tour. It was a double bill with Kansas playing first, with each band doing their own set with encores. A 16-year-old Nikki Sixx attended this show, having slept on the sidewalk the night before the show to get a good seat.

The band soon took off to Hawaii for a week-long vacation, a much-needed rest before their pending first tour of Japan. A show scheduled for April 7 in Portland was cancelled, likely to rest Freddie's voice for the bigger shows to come."  (queenlive.ca)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 05:12:14 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
A thing called 'life' just keeps cropping up......next update Friday (I hope)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 10:29:59 AM by DragonAttack »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: QUEEN discography-SHEER HEART ATTACK and tour
« Reply #169 on: March 09, 2022, 06:44:00 PM »
I listened to some of the NY show. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the Big Spender/MTRnR/Jailhouse Rock encore. I suppose it's the band "letting their hair down" at the end of the show, but they just have so much better material, even at this point.

Thin Lizzy arranged their setlist in a similar way. They usually closed with Sha La La/Baby Drives Me Crazy/Me And The Boys. Basically non album tracks that paled to their own material.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: March 11, 2022, 08:01:41 PM »
When I heard 'Big Spender', I didn't know of 'Sweet Chastity', but I did know of these advertisements:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKdQbQ4k_dI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNLYYwCUqBs 

(not as good as this Murial ad with Susan Anton ;)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8QaUwAyCM8)

‘Big Spender’ is the perfect tongue in cheek camp song that fits Freddie to a tee.  ‘Modern Times’ is a great rocker for an encore, but since most were unfamiliar with it,…… leave the audience with something they DO know and can participate in.  So, ‘Jailhouse Rock’ fit the bill.  I read years ago that it was one of the first songs that Brian learned on guitar.  The joy of then and the loudness of ‘now’ had to be a bit thrilling.  Queen was a rock n roll band, and it made sense to finish with an old rock n roll song from their roots that’s unexpected. 

I think back to Springsteen doing the long Detroit medley in the 80s as an encore (it worked) opposed to Genesis in ’87 (which didn’t).  And others of that era like Van Halen, ZZ Top, Heart, Sammy Hagar.....that would play more recent 'classics' in their encore. 

I will admit….a full version of ‘Killer Queen’ in the encore (or to start the second) would have worked.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #171 on: March 11, 2022, 08:26:29 PM »
That encore definitely has that "Ok the show's over, let's fuck around for a bit" feel. I can appreciate it, and maybe you see the band show some personality that may not be evident while focusing on the show proper.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: March 11, 2022, 09:03:35 PM »
 I had my next write up ready to send, but someone had to make a comment before I could do so. Darn you, Tim.  :D

Yeah, that's the way I looked at it.  A band always wants to give their true fans their best, but why save 'your best' when too many it seems leave after the concert proper?  To those who stayed, let's play, let's really rock, and then we'll do an oldie that EVERYBODY knows but in OUR style.  And since we can do that one in our sleep, and we've had one or three drinks too many, who will know?

btw....any urge to buy a cigar after my last post? ;)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 09:16:17 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: March 11, 2022, 09:05:32 PM »
SHEER HEART ATTACK Tour Japan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbzZex_m   This short video includes their arrival in Japan, press conference, and welcome picnic during the first eight minutes.  Worth it to see the ‘mania’ at the beginning, as well as the entire band hamming it up during their ‘thank yous’.  Concert footage of Now I’m Here, various other snippets…

And then one of my all time highlights: starting at 19:15, this is how one should film any song in concert, namely 'In the Lap of the Gods….Revisited’.  There are only occasional camera angle changes, you can see the whole band (Roger disappears at times during the Spinal Tap fog :D)), and just how the lights affect one's viewing pleasure.  No squirrel in the director's truck changing the cameras every five seconds.  No stupid shots of the fans (who pays to go and see them?) but you can see some of them raising their arms in the air at times. It let's the viewer choose who and what to look at. 

Oh, to have more concert videos like this! :tup
Audio concerts: 
Tokyo, Budokan, April 19th (attendance) 14,000  Grade: B   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsufrGyTbuE 

“This is Queen's first show in Japan (of eight).  They encountered sheer mayhem from the Japanese people (and not just at the concerts), similar to The Beatles in 1964. The band were told that the audiences would be very quiet and stay in their seats during the concerts, but the reality was much to the contrary. Years later, Brian May recalled an "avalanche of people" coming out of their seats and screaming."  queenlive.ca   

Procession / Now I'm Here / Ogre Battle / Father to Son / White Queen / Flick of the Wrist  / Doing All Right / Medley: (In the Lap of the Gods / Killer Queen / The March of the Black Queen /Bring Back That Leroy Brown) /  Son and Daughter / Keep Yourself Alive / Seven Seas of Rhye / Stone Cold Crazy / Liar  / In the Lap of the Gods... Revisited.  Encores:  Big Spender / Modern Times Rock 'N' Roll / Jailhouse Rock / See What a Fool I've Been / God Save the Queen

First live performance of ‘Doing Alright’ (a curious choice).  ‘See What A Fool I’ve Been’ is reinstated.  If you only listen to 'Procession', the beginning and ending of 'Now I'm Here', the mania is clearly evident.
This complete and upgraded version was just released a few weeks ago.  I owned one of the Sheer Heart Attack concerts back in the 90s.  Like most, it was severely incomplete with a 'C' grade recording, so I just gave up looking.  There are much better ones available now than this one, but I would have paid double or triple the market value to have had it my hands back then.

A few more shows to follow over the weekend before writing a word of three about their next vinyl release.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 07:34:51 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography-Queenmania in Japan
« Reply #174 on: March 13, 2022, 07:18:29 AM »
Some times life (and certainly world events) happens while you're busy making plans.  I'll try to speed things up, and post with a blind eye as to events in Eastern Europe.  A much needed weekend getaway to see my other teenage influence Alice Cooper awaits next weekend. Moving on.....
Connecting with every person in the concert hall was becoming one of Queen's core philosophies, and at a concert in Kobe on April 23rd, the  performance of ‘Liar’ is noteworthy because it is the earliest known instance of Freddie Mercury doing any kind of a "call and response" vocal exchange with the audience, something which would eventually become one of his trademarks. In an interview a couple of years ago, Nonny Holder said this element of Mercury's stage persona was inspired by Slade. By the time Mercury couldn't perform live anymore he ran into Holder again in Montreux who recalls Mercury thanking him for giving him the inspiration for this significant piece of the puzzle once upon a time. (queenlive.ca)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqpJK1TfLns&t=1095s  starting at 16:35, Nonny Holder first talks of where he bought his iconic hat, who it was from, then goes on to the audience participation bit.  Tim, I think you'll like the whole interview

Moving on.....
Yamaha Resort Exhibition Hall Kakegawa, April 29th.  Attendance: N/A.   Grade:  B+ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqGCNAnEmI 

‘Father To Son’ has been dropped.  ‘See What A Fool I’ve Been’ was not played.
Yokohama, April 30th.  Attendance: 5000.  Grade: A-    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLfU0g5x9eU

A ‘Mr. Peach’ Queen taped performance.  Explanation on the youtube page.

Great King Rat added.  Brian incorporates a Japanese lullaby into the ‘Son And Daughter/Brighton Rock’ solo, extending the song(s) to fourteen minutes.
Budokan, Tokyo, May 1st.  Attendance: 14,000.  Grade: A-   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXDzaWm7uIQ&t=5934s   

Final night of the ‘Sheer Heart Attack’ tour, running two hours.

‘Hangman’, a May/Mercury song worked on during the Queen I sessions, is played for the first time since ’73.  Final full live performance of ‘Great King Rat’ and final performance of ‘In The Lap Of The Gods’.  ‘Stupid Cupid/Be Bop a Lula’ is back in the encore for fun, as is ‘See What A Fool I’ve Been’.

‘Son And Daughter’ …with the ‘Brighton Rock’ guitar solo also includes Brian performing a Japanese nursery rhyme, so this works out to almost seventeen minutes of sometimes over self indulgence.

Band intros, an extended beginning and drum solo middle for ‘Keep Yourself Alive’ follows.   Mister Frederick Mercury is introduced before ‘Seven Seas Of Rhye’.  ‘Liar’ has an extended jam and runs over 11 minutes. It also includes the first available extended ‘singalong’ that Freddie would incorporate later (see earlier comment and listen to the Nonny Holder interview).  Another extended piano intro to ‘Gods…revisited’ is played. 

The playfulness and improvising continue during the encores.  ‘See What A Fool I’ve Been’ is added for a second round, with the band wearing kimonos. 

Next: Roger Taylor's big pay day ;)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 09:29:34 AM by DragonAttack »