Author Topic: QUEEN Discography- MONTREAL '81 in theaters near you  (Read 70790 times)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2022, 09:25:52 AM »
For the ‘bean counter’ and somewhat trivia geek in me, that’s quite amazing.  I’ll kindly ask more of you on this later 😉

The ‘De Lane Lea’ demos:  they might have been from Brian’s acetates, but I had a very good quality bootleg decades ago.  Most of us here enjoy and want that chance to hear various songs in their beginning stages.  As to the demos, Queen shopped them around.  No takers, not even Terry Ellis and a somewhat new Chrysalis Records (of Jethro Tull).

‘Liar’…perhaps a better drum sound, longer guitar solo.  ‘The Night Comes Down’ already shines.
‘Keep Yourself Alive’….extended drum solo, fun to hear some the little shouts and such.  “All you pretty people keep yourself alive….”
Speaking of which, If you read through books and what is on the web, it is interesting that Brian was at odds with Roy Thomas Baker regarding the mix of this song (then again, Brian was overly meticulous throughout his career from all accounts).  It wasn’t until months later that Mike Stone at Trident Studios worked out an acceptable arrangement and mix. 

Will move on to the first two BBC radio sessions and BBC live performance on Tuesday.  That will complete 1973. 

After that are two more BBC sessions, their second studio album, a live album, a third studio album, and another live album. 

And that’s just 1974!
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2022, 09:40:28 AM »
Roger Taylor was also at odds with the studio about the drum sound, and the problems he had with it are pretty audible, fortunately it was fixed on the second album.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2022, 09:56:29 AM »
  As to the demos, Queen shopped them around.  No takers, not even Terry Ellis and a somewhat new Chrysalis Records (of Jethro Tull).

...and UFO!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2022, 11:16:35 AM »
Stop it !!!  :rollin
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2022, 11:20:44 AM »
I cannot listen to the debut version of Son and Daughter, as it is so inferior to the "At the BBC" one where the guitar solo is longer and the song clocks in at over 7 minutes.  That version is so money.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2022, 12:01:17 PM »
I just gave the first album a spin for the first time in a while, I think the album is better than I remember but still largely mediocre. There are some highlights for me like "Keep Yourself Alive", "Doing Alright", and "Liar" but the rest is largely forgettable.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2022, 12:12:09 PM »
I just gave the first album a spin for the first time in a while, I think the album is better than I remember but still largely mediocre. There are some highlights for me like "Keep Yourself Alive", "Doing Alright", and "Liar" but the rest is largely forgettable.

:facepalm:

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2022, 07:57:19 PM »
I agree it's surprising that Liar has so many streams compared to the other songs from the album. I wonder if it was featured in the Guitar Hero game at some point? That seems to be how some tunes by classic bands gain popularity with the young ‘uns  :biggrin:

I don’t listen to the first Queen album as often as I do the subsequent releases, but it is a strong album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2022, 07:59:50 PM »
I agree it's surprising that Liar has so many streams compared to the other songs from the album. I wonder if it was featured in the Guitar Hero game at some point? That seems to be how some tunes by classic bands gain popularity with the young ‘uns  :biggrin:

Yeah, that's an interesting thought. You might be right. I mean, the number jumps out at you.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2022, 10:13:19 PM »
I had no idea this was going.  I like Queen and look forward to learning more about them.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2022, 10:43:52 PM »
Will follow but likely won't contribute anything. Just really know them through their hits and some other lesser known songs more than on an album basis.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2022, 04:48:32 PM »
Long time QUEEN fanatic since 1975. Here's how I rank their discography:

MEH :huh:
15. Flash S/T
14. Hot Space
GOOD  :tup
13. Made In Heaven
12. The Miracle
11. The Works
10. A Kind of Magic
  9. Jazz
VERY GOOD  :tup :tup
  8. The Game
  7. Queen I
  6. News of The World
GREAT  :metal
  5. Innuendo
  4. A Night At The Opera
  3. A Day At The Races
  2. Sheer Heart Attack
  1. Queen II

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2022, 09:37:09 PM »
^
I see we differ on just a couple, very similar on most.  Feel free to add, comment, or make corrections where needed. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2022, 01:17:16 AM »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2022, 06:43:53 AM »
Can we do this

15. Flash S/T
14. Hot Space
13. A Day At The Races
12. Made In Heaven
11. Jazz
10. The Game
  9. Sheer Heart Attack
  8. The Miracle
  7. A Night At The Opera
  6. News Of The World
  5. I
  4. Innuendo
  3. Works
  2. A Kind Of Magic
  1. Queen II

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2022, 09:17:33 AM »
Well, I would prefer that people simply state where they rate the album (or sessions) that are being currently discussed.  There is thread for Queen discussions here
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=4119.msg2809070#msg2809070

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 12:32:35 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2022, 12:33:28 PM »
The BBC Sessions

Sessions 1-6 for easy future access   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1WwJW1Mu_w&list=PLgC34OV_4iVXqAMIUaL-o7p0_cpnbpkcp

Despite fans pleading for years, only the first and third of Queen’s BBC sessions were made available on ‘At the Beeb’, and that was not until 1989 in the UK.  Having made the rounds for decades via bootlegs, all performed songs were finally made commercially available in 2016, on the simply named ‘Queen On Air’. This was on both a 2 CD release (with as nondescript of an album cover imaginable) and an overly bloated 6 CD box set (will provide the cover on my next session's post).

With studio work for their debut album completed months earlier, but still no record company contract, Trident gets the band a BBC session.  Session 2 is performed less than two weeks after Queen I is released.

BBC Session 1
February 5, 1973, broadcast February 15:
My Fairy King / Keep Yourself Alive / Doing Alright / Liar

Parts of the 'eventual' Queen I songs might have benefitted from some changes performed that night. Because of the differences, these offerings make for different and enjoyable listens.   ‘My Fairy King’ is less polished, but the vocals and piano are much clearer.  ‘Keep Yourself Alive’ and ‘Liar’ are very similar to the studio versions, with an occasional extra ad lib here and there (“We have liftoff!”). ‘Doing Alright’ is similar, although Roger sings lead on the last verse.  This performance would be broadcast ten days later on John Peel’s ‘Sound of the Seventies’ program.

BBC Session 2
July 25, 1973: 
See What A Fool I’ve Been / Keep Yourself Alive / Liar / Son And Daughter

‘See What A Fool I’ve Been’ would become a concert staple for years.  It was based off a 1959 Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee song, 'That's How I Feel', written during Brian's days with Smile.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ponCp68Oq38  It would find its way onto the B-side of their next single, though in a much different style (an understatement and a half).

It made sense to play ‘Keep Yourself Alive’ and ‘Liar’ once again, as the band finally had an album released weeks earlier to promote.  Both are similar to Session 1, though ‘Liar’ has a few vocal silences, and the earlier session is better than this one.  ‘Son and Daughter’ incorporates some of the guitar solo from the Smile song ‘Blag’, is over six minutes long, and Roger inserts a ‘steal yourself, this is valid’ line near the end.  It has a rather harsh sounding guitar after the five minute mark.  A better version awaits.

I’ll give this a few days for catch up /responses before moving on to the next two BBC recordings.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 09:53:54 AM by DragonAttack »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2022, 04:20:39 PM »
The BBC Sessions

Session 1:  February 5, 1973: My Fairy King / Keep Yourself Alive / Doing Alright / Liar

Parts of the 'eventual' Queen I songs might have benefitted from some changes performed that night. Because of the differences, these offerings make for different and enjoyable listens.   ‘My Fairy King’ is less polished, but the vocals and piano are much clearer.  ‘Keep Yourself Alive’ and ‘Liar’ are very similar to the studio versions, with an occasional extra ad lib here and there (“We have liftoff!”). ‘Doing Alright’ is similar, although Roger sings lead on the last verse.  This performance would be broadcast ten days later on John Peel’s ‘Sound of the Seventies’ program.

I love the rawness of this. Really powerful, especially My Fairy King. I enjoyed this much more than the album versions.
It's as if the production on the album neuters these songs a bit.

I'm a really casual Queen fan, and had never heard their first album, but I'm definitely familiar with their classic (mid to late) 70's albums. I hope there'll be lively BBC sessions to contrast with those albums. I know Queen was a great live band, and sometimes I think the reason I never stuck with them was that they were very unaggressive on their studio versions, especially compared to..say..Desolation Boulevard.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2022, 04:31:07 PM »
This is my definitive version of Doing Alright - Roger is already a fully formed and capable lead vocalist on that one and it's just lovely. Not that he's not great on Modern Times before that, but this required a different set of skills.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2022, 07:24:09 PM »
The BBC Sessions

Session 2:  July 25, 1973:  See What A Fool I’ve Been / Keep Yourself Alive / Liar / Son And Daughter

‘See What A Fool I’ve Been’ would become a concert staple for years.  It was based off a 1959 Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee song, 'That's How I Feel', written during Brian's days with Smile.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ponCp68Oq38  It would find its way onto the B-side of their next single, though in a much different style (an understatement and a half).

It made sense to play ‘Keep Yourself Alive’ and ‘Liar’ once again, as the band finally had an album released weeks earlier to promote.  Both are similar to Session 1, though ‘Liar’ has a few vocal silences, and the earlier session is better than this one.  ‘Son and Daughter’ incorporates some of the guitar solo from the Smile song ‘Blag’, is over six minutes long, and Roger inserts a ‘steal yourself, this is valid’ line near the end.  It has a rather harsh sounding guitar after the five minute mark.  A better version awaits.

I would kill to hear Gary Moore do What A Fool I've Been. Wow, this song is cool as shit.

Son And Daughter smokes here. So much better than the studio version.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2022, 07:01:46 AM »
This is my definitive version of Doing Alright - Roger is already a fully formed and capable lead vocalist on that one and it's just lovely. Not that he's not great on Modern Times before that, but this required a different set of skills.

My favorite version as well.

I would kill to hear Gary Moore do What A Fool I've Been. Wow, this song is cool as shit.

Son And Daughter smokes here. So much better than the studio version.

I listened to a couple of Moore's songs last night.  I could certainly see him doing 'See What A Fool I've Been'.  At least, this version.

The best 'Son And Daughter' awaits.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 09:59:04 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2022, 07:46:38 AM »
BBC Golders Green Hippodrome

Recorded on September 13, 1973, and broadcast a week later by the BBC, Queen perform at the Golders Green Hippodrome.  This is part of the 3rd disc of the bloated ‘Queen On Air’ 6 CD box set in 2016 (a shame that a 3 CD offering wasn’t made available) .  This is their earliest available soundboard recording. Sadly, as with most of the Queen Productions offerings from the ‘90s onwards, it is not complete. In this instance, ‘See What A Fool I’ve Been’ is not included. This is the complete show  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJhWfr4V_ns&t=961s

Introductions:  Procession / Father To Son / Son And Daughter / See What A Fool I've Been / Ogre Battle / Liar / Medley: Jailhouse Rock / Stupid Cupid / Be Bop a Lula / Big Spender / Bama Lama Bama Loo
This was one of my first bootleg CDrs in the mid 90s, and it was one of the most heavily traded, under many names including 'Sons of Sheetkickers' :D.  The crowd is in the balcony, and have never heard these songs before.  The sound engineers and equipment are on the main floor.  The four Queen II songs are still in their infancy.  The taped ‘Procession’ is incomplete at this time, and ‘Father To Son’ and ‘Ogre Battle’ are still works in progress.  Freddie’s vocals are buried to varying degrees thoughout, and Brian’s guitar echo effect is prominent on stage for the first time during the ‘Son And Daughter’ instrumental, but doesn’t always work.  The cover songs shine, as they had been worked on back during the Queen I sessions.   It is still a damn good recording of a ‘new’ band with only one studio album released, getting stronger after almost three years of touring.

('Jailhouse Rock' and 'Big Spender' would be played on various tours throughout their career).

BBC announcer Alan Black introduces the bassist as ‘Deacon John’ (Freddie can be heard in the background shouting “No, he’s not!”) They are also ‘good lads that you should see on stage, as they are quite entertaining, and they’ll be touring soon throughout the UK and United States’.

They would be opening for Mott the Hoople in November.

BBC Session 3

Arranged to promote the release of their upcoming album, as well as their first headlining tour starting in January, the band is scheduled for their third in studio BBC performance. 

Recorded December 3, 1973, broadcast December 6: 
Ogre Battle / Modern Times Rock n Roll / Great King Rat / Son And Daughter

Some preconceived thoughts of the band might disappear here.  Guitar feeback acts as bookends to the rocking ‘Ogre Battle’ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vCFn4EUJKw (though only present for the ‘On Air’ release, not  ‘At the Beeb’).   ‘Modern Times’ has a slightly altered ending and additional lyric, borrowing a phrase used by Mott's Ariel Bender..  ‘Great King Rat’ is grittier than the studio version (I much prefer the different guitar during the instrumental).

The final track is their second BBC offering of ‘Son And Daughter’.  It clocks in at over 7 minutes, and as Kev mentioned last week, is far superior to the studio version.  The guitar solo from ‘Blag’ is still present and ever evolving (and would live forever in one fashion or another throughout the band’s career and beyond).  If you are making any 'best of Queen' lists, this version needs to be included.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 09:47:59 AM by DragonAttack »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2022, 08:07:39 PM »
BBC Session 3

Recorded December 3, 1973, broadcast December 6:  Ogre Battle / Modern Times Rock n Roll / Great King Rat / Son And Daughter

I'd never heard Ogre Battle before. That's an interesting song. I said it before, but these sessions are so raw, they're really awesome. I've never thought of Queen as a metal band, but this is every bit as heavy as Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple....even more heavy, actually.

Son And Daughter is awesome here. This is really eye (and ear opening) for me.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2022, 08:37:17 PM »
I've never thought of Queen as a metal band, but this is every bit as heavy as Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple....even more heavy, actually.

Everything thinks of Freddie and his amazing voice first, and that's perfectly fine, but some of my favorite Queen "moments" are when the three instrumentalists are just tearing things up live.  Power trio sound.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 08:08:11 PM by Orbert »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2022, 09:52:23 AM »
BBC Session 3

Recorded December 3, 1973, broadcast December 6:  Ogre Battle / Modern Times Rock n Roll / Great King Rat / Son And Daughter

I'd never heard Ogre Battle before. That's an interesting song. I said it before, but these sessions are so raw, they're really awesome. I've never thought of Queen as a metal band, but this is every bit as heavy as Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple....even more heavy, actually.

You never heard Ogre Battle at all before, or never heard the BBC version? 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2022, 09:54:05 AM »
I'm shocked Tim even knows who Queen is.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2022, 09:56:37 AM »
BBC Session 3

Never heard it at all.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2022, 09:58:44 AM »
BBC Session 3

Never heard it at all.

Free beer for you if you listen to Queen II.  It's by far my favorite Queen record, and there's really nothing like it in the entire catalogue. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2022, 10:05:28 AM »
Oh look, an excuse to listen through Queen's discography.

Not sure how I didn't see this until now, but I will try to get caught up!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2022, 10:39:00 AM »
BBC Session 3

Never heard it at all.

Free beer for you if you listen to Queen II.  It's by far my favorite Queen record, and there's really nothing like it in the entire catalogue.

On it!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2022, 01:33:10 PM »
BBC Session 3

Never heard it at all.

On it!!

Cool!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 02:08:56 PM by Stadler »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2022, 02:10:12 PM »
Looking forward to listening and discussing it.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2022, 02:41:04 PM »
NO SYNTHESIZERS!
I would be remiss in not mentioning a key line that appeared in the Queen I liner notes, and would do so again on future releases. 

It was initially thought by many fans that Queen were placing the “No Synthesizers” line in response to the popular backlash against their use in rock music. In the early 70s, there was a resentment by some because many felt it was 'cheating', as well as putting some musicians out of work. They were extremist in their critiques. This backlash was considered one of the reasons why “No Synthesizers” was written on their records.

The main reason Queen placed that line on their albums was in response to a music critic who had praised the synthesizer work on the band’s debut album. The comment had been made by Chris Wels in the British magazine Melody Maker. In the video documentary to the making of 'A Night At The Opera', Roger explained that the quote infuriated the band, especially Brian (understatement), who had worked so hard in creating such original sounds on guitar.
(edited from classicrockhistory.com)
This is slightly in error, as the ‘No Synthesizers’ line did appear at the very bottom of the back cover on 'Queen I'.  Perhaps the critic had heard their BBC broadcasts or seen them perform.  As one who poured over sleeves and back covers back then, I had an odd sense of pride to read that line every time.  It surprised various friends (some who were in bar bands) as we would listen to various artists.  I’d throw a Queen album side on, mention that those sounds were from Brian’s guitar, they'd have a ‘huh?’ or 'BS' reaction, but they’d take note and perhaps ask to borrow some of their albums to hear what else The Red Special might create.
next up in a few hours....'Marlena Dietrich meets The Beatles'  ;)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 04:29:52 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2022, 05:14:48 PM »
QUEEN II

Released:  March 8, 1974, UK (EMI): April 9, 1974  USA (Elektra)

Charts:  UK #5 (11 weeks…it would later chart three more times, reaching #23),
USA #49 (13 weeks), Japan #26, Norway #19

Certifications: Gold in the UK, Platinum in Poland

Singles:  Seven Seas of Rhye / See What A Fool I’ve Been, February 1974.  UK #10 USA (-)

* Recorded August 1973 at Trident Studios, London.
Liner Notes
Freddie Mercury - vocals, piano / harpsichord
Brian May - guitar, piano, vocals, bells
John Deacon - bass guitar, acoustic guitar #
Roger Meddows-Taylor - percussion, vocals
(# the band delayed the initial release to correct, as he was listed once again as Deacon John)

Produced by Roy Thomas Baker and Queen
Additional production by Robin Geoffrey Cable and Queen
Engineered by Mike Stone at Trident Studios, London
Photography and art direction by Mick Rock
Sleeve concept by Mick Rock and Queen
Virtouso castanets by Roy Thomas Baker... and nobody played synthesizer... again.
The Fairy Fellers Master-Stroke inspired by a painting by Richard Dadd
Nevermore and Funny How Love Is Produced by Robin G. Cable and Queen
The March Of The Black Queen produced by Roy Thomas Baker, Robin G. Cable,and Queen.

(* actual studio sessions ended in February 1974)

SIDE WHITE   
Procession (May)   1:12
Father to Son (May)  6:14
White Queen (As It Began) (May)  4:34
Some Day One Day (May)  4:23
The Loser in the End (Taylor)  4:02

SIDE BLACK      
Ogre Battle (Mercury)  4:10
The Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke (Mercury)  2:40
Nevermore (Mercury)  1:17
The March of the Black Queen (Mercury)  6:33
Funny How Love Is (Mercury)  2:50
Seven Seas of Rhye (Mercury)  2:50

Additional notes:  ‘See What A Fool I’ve Been’ was made widely available on the Hollywood Records ’92 reissue.  A concert closer through ‘75, this nonalbum B-side of ‘Seven Seas of Rhye’ is vastly different from the BBC and live versions.  It is as camp as you can possibly get. 

2011 Universal reissue bonus disc:  See What A Fool I've Been (BBC version, July 1973; ), White Queen (live, Hammersmith, Dec 75), Seven Seas of Rhye (backing track) Nevermore (BBC), See What A Fool I’ve Been (B-side version, ’74). 

Queen Productions missed the mark on yet another reissue. Will comment in another post.
From the iconic cover, to the sound, production, writing, (and risks), this is an advanced, more professional sounding effort compared to their debut. Brian’s ‘orchestral’ guitar sound and their backing vocals became much more prominent, and Freddie sounds like, well, Freddie. ‘Side White’ opens with four Brian songs, the fittingly titled instrumental ‘Procession’ before the bombastic first chords of ‘Father To Son’ (together, my second favorite(s) next to a release the following year).  A love letter of sorts 'from' Brian's father, one of their best instrumentals, to its fade out and gentle segue into the beautiful and grand ‘White Queen’.  ‘Some Day One Day’ follows, a semi ballad and Brian’s first as lead vocalist.  ‘Loser In The End’, penned and sung by Roger, closes out the side.  I enjoyed all of his offerings in the 70s, and on its own this song is fine, but it feels somewhat out of place on this album (the mix, the drums, and no BVs….)

‘Side Black’ is all Freddie.  Various fantasy land topics from his early childhood with his sister appear throughout.  ‘Ogre Battle’ is a surprising rocker, and was part of their setlist off and on through 1977.  The ending quickly fades into ‘Fairy Feller’ inspired by a painting by Richard Dadd, an uptempo harpsichord driven song. The very short but beautiful ‘Nevermore’ follows.  Finally, a second of rest before ‘The March of the Black Queen’, their second longest ‘epic’ at over six and a half minutes.  Freddie’s first tour de force, setting the stage for so much that would follow.  You want something that includes everything AND the kitchen sink?  Well, it’s all here.  It has everything one might love (or hate) about Queen, until fading into the “I Can Hear Music’ Larry Lurex inspired ‘Funny How Love Is’.  The debut album ending instrumental is ‘reprised’ with ‘Seven Seas of Rhye’, their first single to reach the UK Top Ten.  The ‘I do like to be beside the seaside’ fadeout will appear again in the future.
I find Side White more ‘accessible’, while the wife absolutely adores Side White (but tears up during ‘White Queen’).  Then again, once I start listening to Side Black....... :tup  (Procession/Father to Son, and most of Side Black are pure stereo headphone delights!)

One of the band's 'Mount Rushmore' releases.

To hear the songs that segue from one to another as they appear on the album:
Procession / Father To Son / White Queen    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbZxHojeb3E
Ogre Battle / The Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke / Nevermore     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqTk1lzoQGk
The March Of The Black Queen / Funny How Love Is      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R-fErvfHDY

My original vinyl had the old boring plain white sleeve with the center hole.  Having worn it out on an inexpensive crystal cartridge turntable, the replacement had a 'full' sleeve with lyrics. 'Side White' was with black writing, and 'Side Black' was black with white writing.  Occasionally, fortune smiles.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 07:07:40 AM by DragonAttack »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2022, 06:09:30 PM »

One of the band's 'Mount Rushmore' releases.

So I find this an interesting statement as an outsider. Obviously a Greatest Hits collection is not always representative of a band or their great deep cuts, but if this is a Mt Rushmore Queen album, none of these songs appear on their Greatest Hits album or Live Killers.