Author Topic: QUEEN Discography- MONTREAL '81 in theaters near you  (Read 70560 times)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography- HOT SPACE EUROPEAN TOUR '82
« Reply #700 on: July 07, 2022, 02:32:33 PM »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: QUEEN discography- 'introducing' Morgan Fisher on keyboards
« Reply #701 on: July 07, 2022, 03:16:13 PM »
Lots to chew on here, Joe!

MORGAN FISHER

The Montreal '81 shows marked the end of an era that started with Queen's very first concert.  A major change would have a fifth musician onstage for the Hot Space tour. For the European leg, that would be Morgan Fisher.  Here are a couple of quite recent articles.

This article is more focused on his time ‘alongside’ Queen in ‘73/’74 during his days with Mott The Hoople, and then in ’82. 
  https://www.queenonline.com/news/on-the-spotmorgan-fisher-interview

This one looks back at his entire career, from his original band and then moving on with Tim Staffell of Smile (remember him?), his days with Mott, then Queen, then the Hot Space European tour.

I DID remember Tim Staffell. As soon as I saw the name. You'd be proud of me. Plus he has a cool first name!

He was with Mott The Hoople. That's cool. I like that nugget. Didn't seem to work out though..

The Stadthalle, Vienna, May 12th   Attendance: 14,100   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRWqhQl8_7M  Audience/Soundboard Merge  Quality: A

First time in Vienna since the NOTW tour in  ’78.  Freddie’s voice is in great shape, Brian plays some of ‘I Go Crazy’ in the guitar solo.  Mostly a top notch audience recording.

‘Back Chat’ is included, ‘Sheer Heart Attack’ dropped.

Seeing Back Chat mentioned, I was hoping to hear a live version. This show sounds great, and I enjoyed the live version of Back Chat.

And that Bow Wow Wow story was hilarious. I definitely remember them. I don't quite remember The Teardrop Explodes though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #702 on: July 08, 2022, 08:40:24 PM »
Bow Wow Wow...hey, at least the girl was very 'photogenic'. ;)  Vienna was indeed a good show. 

I'm going to get these listed while I have time...

The Olympiahalle, Munich, West Germany,   Attendance: 16,000 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8BwYAoJGv0    Quality: B
The first concert after the album release, and their last concert in Europe before taking a week off.  The now 'standard' set list.  Another top notch plus version of 'Somebody To Love'

Elland Road Football Stadium Leeds, England May 29   Attendance: 40,200     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pTL8tKRZQc&t=1131s   Quality: A-

The two interviews with Brian and Roger at the beginning of the tape took place the day of the show.  Concert starts at approximately the 16 minute mark.

Freddie’s voice is in great shape after a week off, and the shows is top notch.

Brian stated that this show in Leeds was his favorite Queen show, and that he wishes they recorded it instead of Milton Keynes.

Ingliston Showground Edinburgh, Scotland June 2nd   Attendance: 11,000       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4xRRQaun6s Quality: A- 
Edinburgh, an added second night    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9y335ebSZ4   Quality: A-

Queen had performed in Scotland during every European tour.  At the end of the show, Freddie says, "Thank you for two amazing days. We love ya. You're real rock and roll. See you soon, Scotland!" In fact, the band would never play  there again.

Milton Keynes Bowl, Buckinghamshire, June 5th  Attendance:43,000  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgJr7s98WEo  Quality: A-

This would be Morgan Fisher's last show with the band as the touring keyboardist. This show was filmed, aired on TV, bootleg copies made (and I got my hands on one in '96), and then was finally officially released in 2004.  A shame it wasn't made available decades sooner, but it would end up being worth the wait.  Readers of this discography will only have to wait a couple more days to hear or see it. ;) 

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #703 on: July 09, 2022, 06:17:06 PM »

Milton Keynes Bowl, Buckinghamshire, June 5th  Attendance:43,000  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgJr7s98WEo  Quality: A-

This would be Morgan Fisher's last show with the band as the touring keyboardist. This show was filmed, aired on TV, bootleg copies made (and I got my hands on one in '96), and then was finally officially released in 2004.  A shame it wasn't made available decades sooner, but it would end up being worth the wait.  Readers of this discography will only have to wait a couple more days to hear or see it. ;)

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #704 on: July 09, 2022, 07:53:42 PM »
Sorry, Grover :rollin

After I get back from the polling station tomorrow.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography- ON FIRE LIVE AT THE BOWL (Milton Keynes)
« Reply #705 on: July 10, 2022, 04:16:33 AM »
...or before)
ON FIRE  LIVE AT THE BOWL

Performed: Milton Keynes, June 5th, 1982
Released:  DVD October 2004, CD and LP 2005

CD Charts 2004-05:  UK #20
Portugal #9, Germany #10, Italy #15, Scotland #22, Austria #23, Switzerland #52, Belgium #60, Ireland #67, Spain #73, Netherlands #74, France #75

Certifications: 
Gold in the UK, Austria
Platinum in Germany

DVD Charts: UK #1
Austria #1, Sweden #1, Belgium #1, Norway #4, Hungary #5, Australia #10

Certifications:
Gold in Austria, Mexico, Switzerland
Platinum in USA, Argentina
2x Platinum in Portugal
3x Platinum in Australia, France, UK
5x Platinum in Germany

Queen are:  Freddie Mercury, John Deacon, Roger Taylor and Brian May
Additional Keyboards and Piano: Morgan Fisher

Thanks were given to many, including: 'Air Horn Man (thanks a lot)'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jucS5VoOfg0

DISC ONE
Flash (tape) / The Hero / We Will Rock You (fast) / Action This Day / Play The Game / Staying Power / Somebody To Love / Now I'm Here - Dragon Attack - Now I'm Here (reprise) / Las Palabras de Amor (intro) / Love Of My Life / Save Me / Back Chat

DISK TWO
Get Down Make Love / guitar solo / drum solo / Under Pressure / Fat Bottomed Girls / Crazy Little Thing Called Love / Bohemian Rhapsody / Tie Your Mother Down / Another One Bites The Dust / Sheer Heart Attack / We Will Rock You / We Are The Champions / God Save The Queen

**Due to censorship laws the Hong Kong and China release of the CD removed "Get Down, Make Love" and "Fat Bottomed Girls".

The original TV version of 'Bohemian Rhapsody', minus the stupid insertion of the music video during the opera part
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_bg6XwaVFE

The full broadcast     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKIsv_tl7NA&list=PL7Evm0IpYX8YWrTHZlqqR_nYqBsKOeqEl
There are certain aspects of the television broadcast that are better than the official DVD release.  For the intro, there aren't as many pictures thrown at you in a short time.  Plus, you get to see the band standing at the base of the stairs, listening to the piped in music, before the tiny explosion at the beginning of the 'Flash' intro as a woman screams (orgasms? ;))

Freddie has a memorable line when introducing 'Staying Power':  "For what it's worth we're gonna do a few songs in the funk/black category, whatever you call it. That doesn't mean we've lost our rock and roll feel, okay? I mean it's only a bloody record. People get so excited about these things! We just wanna try out a few songs. This is Staying Power."   

Most of that is removed from the official release.  :huh:
(note:  he certainly didn't feel that way a little over six years earlier, when 'Bohemian Rhapsody' was #1 on the UK charts for nine weeks).

Finally, I've already mentioned the opera section of 'Bohemian Rhapsody' music video being added onto the operatic section of the DVD release.  That never should have happened (but it wouldn't be the last time >:( :censored :censored :tup

Oh,....and it really is a great show and visual treat.   'Never miss the beginning of a Queen concert!'....this is one of my top three.  And it certainly helps to have a great video of it!  There are very few touch ups throughout the show, and they actually kept part of where Brian's guitar goes out during his solo on the DVD. 

A good 10th anniversary for the band, a great celebration they shared with us ...finally.

A six week break follows.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 08:35:48 AM by DragonAttack »

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #706 on: July 10, 2022, 04:12:36 PM »
Freddie has a memorable line when introducing 'Staying Power':  "For what it's worth we're gonna do a few songs in the funk/black category, whatever you call it. That doesn't mean we've lost our rock and roll feel, okay? I mean it's only a bloody record. People get so excited about these things! We just wanna try out a few songs. This is Staying Power."   

I'm always curious about how bands "defend" a perceived change in sound by the fans.  But it's usually something something like this.  Hey, they wanted to try something different.  Calm down, everyone.

(note:  he certainly didn't feel that way a little over six years earlier, when 'Bohemian Rhapsody' was #1 on the UK charts for nine weeks).

What makes you say that?

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #707 on: July 11, 2022, 05:21:12 AM »
As much as I'd have liked to have Queen live in the pomp, not even they would get me to go to the soulless cesspit that is Milton Keynes....

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #708 on: July 11, 2022, 06:34:30 AM »
I just bought "Live At The Bowl" and it came this weekend; I haven't watched it yet.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #709 on: July 11, 2022, 01:44:41 PM »
So I watched The Hero, and what a great opening track that is.

Also watched Back Chat, and it was awesome.

And Under Pressure was fantastic, especially with the organ underneath.

And Freddie is INTO IT!

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #710 on: July 12, 2022, 07:13:35 AM »
As much as I'd have liked to have Queen live in the pomp, not even they would get me to go to the soulless cesspit that is Milton Keynes....

Well, back then it really was the only venue of it's size, it was brand spanking new and the "jewel in the crown" of UK venues. Unfortunately they forgot to include any car parking...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #711 on: July 13, 2022, 07:20:10 AM »

I'm always curious about how bands "defend" a perceived change in sound by the fans.  But it's usually something something like this.  Hey, they wanted to try something different.  Calm down, everyone.

It was just odd that they cut that line from the release.  After all, the Montreal '81 live release left a couple of F-bombs during 'Jailhouse Rock' and at the end of GSTQ.  Freddie does the same at this concert, talking about the daylight, where "he could finally see all you :censored out there". And they left part of the silence when Brian's string broke during the solo as well.  As I said, it's just odd.

Defending the album:  here's a good article from ten years ago that I just found last night... https://thequietus.com/articles/08894-queen-hot-space   inserting Brian and Roger comments from an '84 interview. 

Hey, it's still a bit difficult all these decades later to 'calm down' about it. ;)

What makes you say that?

I know he was happy to hand over the gold record to his Mom in '76.  At this concert, fan reactions on the road has already rubbed him the wrong way at many shows.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 11:33:52 AM by DragonAttack »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #712 on: July 13, 2022, 07:29:41 AM »
What was it about the fan reactions to Bohemain Rhasody that bugged him?

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #713 on: July 13, 2022, 07:35:22 AM »
So I watched The Hero, and what a great opening track that is.

Also watched Back Chat, and it was awesome.

I was humming this to myself a short time ago, and realized that its very similar to the short lead in instrumental for 'Keep Yourself Alive' at Montreal the prior fall.  Hmmmm....

One of their 'dirty dozen' of my 'least favorite'  studio tracks, but just like 'Staying Power' live, it shows how much better it could have been in the studio with the 'old' Queen sound.

And Under Pressure was fantastic, especially with the organ underneath.

And Freddie is INTO IT!

He's in great voice and attitude....last night of the European tour, time off awaits before he gets to head back to NYC and then that tour the following month....yup, a good recipe for a great performance.  Plus, I like his outfit a hell of a lot better than the old red leather pants. :tup

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #714 on: July 13, 2022, 07:39:00 AM »
What was it about the fan reactions to Bohemain Rhapsody that bugged him?

I was commenting of how BoRhap 'wasn't just a bloody record' in his eyes back then...

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #715 on: July 13, 2022, 07:44:15 AM »

Well, back then it really was the only venue of it's size, it was brand spanking new and the "jewel in the crown" of UK venues. Unfortunately they forgot to include any car parking...

Have things changed in forty years?  I know the crowds there were great.  I have REM's complete show from there in '95 when they were on 'top of the world', and it's fabulous.

I just bought "Live At The Bowl" and it came this weekend; I haven't watched it yet.

There's bonus material from backstage, various interviews with the band, plus video from Vienna (posted in this thread earlier) and some from Japan '82 (to be posted later).  The concert itself is worth the money, and though Tokyo isn't complete, it's a great extra disc (for once).

You will, however, have to give up listening to 'Cool Cat' 79 thousand plus times a day in order to enjoy it :D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 07:50:11 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography- Introducing Fred Mandel
« Reply #716 on: July 13, 2022, 07:55:17 AM »
Introducing Fred Mandel
Mandel made his first appearance on record courtesy of Domenic Troiano (whose band he was in at the time). Troiano was invited to record on Alice Cooper's
‘Welcome To My Nightmare’ and got Mandel to play keyboards on the record. This led to Alice inviting him to join his live band, which he did for four years (1977-1980) progressing from keyboards to lead guitar, and finally ending up working as the musical director.

During that time, having worked with Bob Ezrin, Mandel was invited to play keyboards on the Pink Floyd album 'The Wall' (produced by Ezrin), followed by some recordings with Cheap Trick.

Here we are now in '82, and he is asked to play with Queen on the North American Tour (as well as Japan).  In ’83 he performs on Brian’s solo EP, and later made contributions to three songs on the band’s next album (thus becoming the first significant guest performer on a Queen record).  He would also perform on Freddie's '85 solo album.

Following this, Mandel went on tour with Supertramp who were performing their last gigs with their classic line up on the 'Famous Last Words' tour.

Later on, Mandel was offered the chance play with his teen idol Elton John, whom Mandel states as being "...to this day, one of the most bad-ass rock and roll piano players around!"

In 2013, Mandel worked with Anthrax on the track "Smokin'", originally by Boston, ultimately released on Anthrax's album Anthems, an EP principally featuring covers from some of the band's favorite acts of the 1970s.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 11:31:26 AM by DragonAttack »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #717 on: July 13, 2022, 07:59:22 AM »
And I would like to say that Alice's Nightmare touring band in 1975 is one of the greatest bands I've ever seen perform. That band was GREAT!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #718 on: July 13, 2022, 08:38:37 AM »
And I would like to say that Alice's Nightmare touring band in 1975 is one of the greatest bands I've ever seen perform. That band was GREAT!

I saw Dick Wagner in Kalamazoo in the 90s. Great show! I just don’t remember what Alice songs he played ☹️

Btw, I wonder what nickname Queen had for Fred Mandel. I won’t refer to him by his first name throughout this thread. Too confusing 😉

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #719 on: July 13, 2022, 09:22:52 AM »

I'm a huge fan of the Dick Wagner/Steve Hunter duo.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #720 on: July 13, 2022, 09:24:20 AM »

I'm a huge fan of the Dick Wagner/Steve Hunter duo.

Prakash John and Whitey Glan were a tremendous rhythm section.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #721 on: July 13, 2022, 12:56:47 PM »
A very skinny Alice with Fred Mandel

I'll assume that Prakash John and Whitey Glan are in this pic, since I see Alice and Fred Mandel

No need to guess who these two individuals are

Today was the first time I saw this pic....'77, during Queen's 'A Day At The Races' tour, with Alice's wife Sheryl Goddard

The 'loving' couple, Vincent and Sheryl Furnier, still going strong 45 years later! :D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 09:13:10 PM by DragonAttack »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #722 on: July 13, 2022, 01:30:51 PM »

I'll assume that Prakash John and Whitey Glan are in this pic, since I see Alice and Fred Mandel

Prakash John is the guy on the far right in the athletic jacket.

Whitey is the tall blond guy with the shades right behind Alice.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #723 on: July 13, 2022, 04:45:46 PM »
^
with a young TAC in front ;)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #724 on: July 13, 2022, 04:47:28 PM »
 :lol

Yeah, I loved that hat! :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #725 on: July 13, 2022, 07:07:10 PM »
 :lol
That was me for many a Halloween.

moving on......

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography- and now Billy Squier
« Reply #726 on: July 13, 2022, 07:26:54 PM »
BILLY SQUIER

Squier was signed on to be the warm up band for the North American tour. 

Two days after the first show in Montreal, ‘Emotions In Motion’ was released.  It was certified Gold in September 1982 and Platinum a month later. Though multi-platinum awards were not certified prior to late 1984, the album received a double platinum award in 1991.  It was his second best selling album, after the previous year's 3x Platinum 'Don't Say No'.

The cover art was created for Squier by Andy Warhol.  Freddie and Roger added BVs to the title track in January.  Like its predecessor, the album was produced by Squier with Reinhold Mack.

Brian would play lead guitar on '(Another) 1984' from 'Signs of Life' in '84, and Freddie would sing on 'Love Is The Hero' and BVs and co-wrote 'Lady With A Tenor Sax' on the  'Enough Is Enough' LP in '86.

Charts: #13 Canada, #60 USA 

Singles: 'Everybody Wants You'
#1 Hot Rock tracks, #32 Billboard, #13 South Africa, #26 Canada

Other singles: Emotions In Motion, Learn How To Live, Keep Me Satisfied, She’s A Runner

Billy with drummer Bobby Chouinard and Queen

Squier in Detroit, Cobo Hall, December '82  VIDEO   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS2lBYiNT5k
Everybody Wants You / Wadda Want From Me / I Need You/ Catch 22 / Learn How To Live / My Kinda Lover / Too Daze Gone / She's A Runner / Emotions In Motion / Listen To The Heartbeat / Lonely Is The Night / In The Dark /The Stoke / Keep Me Satisfied / Rip This Joint

Very similar setlist and length of time during his warm up performance four months earlier at Joe Louis Arena.

Tomorrow:  Queen's 'Rock n' America Tour '82  (nope, it wasn't called the 'Hot Space Tour'......)

« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 05:36:14 AM by DragonAttack »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #727 on: July 13, 2022, 07:43:59 PM »
I actually remember the Queen/Billy Squier tour.

And Bobby Chouinard RIP. 43 fucking years old.. He was fantastic. Played with Gary Moore for a couple of years. He played heavy AF.

He was born in Brockton MA and apparently is buried there. I live in the next town over.

That's a great Billy Squier show. He was on fire for those couple of years. But damn, that Rock Me Tonight video killed him.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 07:49:24 PM by TAC »

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #728 on: July 14, 2022, 02:07:54 AM »
"Emotions in Motion" is a horrible name for an album, reminds me of Kirk van Houten's "Can I Borrow a Feeling?" The cover doesn't help either, gives you no idea of what to expect - Hammond organ versions of easy listening classics? New wave Euro-synths? Hi-NRG dance? Reggae? No clue.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #729 on: July 14, 2022, 05:50:50 AM »
I actually remember the Queen/Billy Squier tour.

And Bobby Chouinard RIP. 43 fucking years old.. He was fantastic. Played with Gary Moore for a couple of years. He played heavy AF.

He was born in Brockton MA and apparently is buried there. I live in the next town over.

That's a great Billy Squier show. He was on fire for those couple of years. But damn, that Rock Me Tonight video killed him.

But you didn't get to the show....?

Bobby Chouinard....no wiki page for him :huh:  I did gather that he also played for Alice Cooper, as well as Peter Wolf.  And yet another Gary Moore reference :D  There's still a couple more coming in this thread down the road....

Yup, Squier put on one hell of a show.  And....that video :lol :facepalm:  The book 'I Want My MTV' devotes one whole chapter to it (per reports).

"Emotions in Motion" is a horrible name for an album, reminds me of " The cover doesn't help either, gives you no idea of what to expect - Hammond organ versions of easy listening classics? New wave Euro-synths? Hi-NRG dance? Reggae? No clue.

I'm 180 degrees opposite of this.  Hey, he got Andy frickin' Warhol to do the cover.  His prior two, 'Tales of the Tape' and 'Don't Say No', with his picture, were OK.  The ones that followed 'Emotions in Motion' ....now those were bad.

At least I got to watch a minute of 'The Simpsons' because of this :D :tup

Moving on for now......

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography- HOT SPACE NORTH AMERICAN Tour '82
« Reply #730 on: July 14, 2022, 05:54:04 AM »
HOT SPACE NORTH AMERICAN Tour '82
(or, as it was promoted, the QUEEN Hot Space ROCK 'N AMERICA TOUR)

A total of 29 shows performed (many more were originally planned) from July through September.  Whether it was entirely the new album, Paul Prenter’s not so friendly dealings with promoters, the press, etc., this tour was fraught with diminished sales, causing many planned multi night shows to be lowered in number (NYC and LA from four to two, Detroit and New Jersey from two to one).  And rather than sellouts, arena capacities often ranged from 60-90%.  The European shows ran anywhere from 95 to 105 minutes. By the end of this tour, the shows were down to 85 minutes, with the band seemingly rushing through them, and the encore was singular, down to a segment of three songs.

The set list would change throughout, with various songs from the new album added and removed as the tour went on.  The big change was the beginning. After the ‘Flash’ tape, rather than the superb entrance and beginning of ‘The Hero’ (as seen from the Milton Keynes concert), Freddie would stand front and center under the white spotlights singing the intro of ‘Rock It’.  The band would appear when the song began to ‘rock it’.  It was visually stunning, but it just didn’t make sense to me then (or now).

Along with ‘The Hero’, ‘Love Of My Life’ and ‘Sheer Heart Attack’ are also dropped (so much for Brian's speech). The first live performances of ‘Calling All Girls’.  ‘Body Language’ is played along with ‘Another One Bites The Dust’ during the first encore a couple of times. 

Montreal Forum, Montreal, July 21st,   Attendance: 18,000  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ySsq8hBBRM&t=4108s    Quality/ A-/B+
Flash (tape) / Rock It / We Will Rock You (fast) / Action This Day / Play The Game / Staying Power / Now I'm Here / Dragon Attack / Now I'm Here (reprise) / Save Me / Calling All Girls / Back Chat / Get Down Make Love / guitar solo / Under Pressure / Fat Bottomed Girls / Crazy Little Thing Called Love / Bohemian Rhapsody / Tie Your Mother Down    Encore 1: Body Language / Another One Bites The Dust    Encore 2: We Will Rock You / We Are The Champions / God Save The Queen

EDIT:  Jan 23 2023 upgrade   Quality: A      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJkWvEeRCWM&t=1152s 

This is a new transfer of the Montreal 82 recording, kindly put out by The Real Wizard.  ( www.queenlive.ca ) Here are his original notes: "This is a merge of both audience sources to best complete the show. Dare I say this is now the definitive document from the North American leg of the Hot Space tour !? Thanks to onedunpark, Brian's Wig, manymilesaway, and riku for their part in getting these tapes out there."

Boston, July 23rd

On this day, Kevin White, Mayor of Boston, had chosen to formally make July 23rd "Queen Day" for the city of Boston. This announcement can be heard at the beginning of this recording, read to by DJ Mark Parenteau from WBCN Radio. With this intro in mind, the band don't play Flash on tape to start the show, but instead, immediately begin with Brian's opening chords to ‘Rock It’. The band put in an enthusiastic albeit sloppy performance tonight. 'Back Chat' is dropped until October.

(I'm sure you've seen this view a few times, Tim)

Boston Garden, Boston, July 23rd,  Attendance/ 15,900    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgHEqgnRzjA      Quality/ A-  (I’d give it an A)

Queen Day" declaration / Rock It / We Will Rock You (fast) / Action This Day / Play The Game / Staying Power / Now I'm Here / Dragon Attack / Now I'm Here (reprise) / Save Me / Calling All Girls / Get Down Make Love / guitar solo [cut] / Under Pressure / Fat Bottomed Girls / Crazy Little Thing Called Love / Bohemian Rhapsody / Tie Your Mother Down 
Encore 1: Body Language / Another One Bites The Dust    Encore 2: We Will Rock You / We Are The Champions / God Save The Queen

The Spectrum Philadelphia, July 24th,   Attendance: 18,200  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLd_SgerimM&t=3277s  Quality: A-
only available about three years ago
Back Chat is dropped, and no 'Somebody To Love'. The shows are now down to just one encore segment of 'Another One Bites The Dust', 'We Will Rock You', 'We Are The Champions', and 'God Save The Queen', as ‘Body Language’ is dropped.   Per a reviewer, Freddie's 'cokey voice' is returning.

On to Landover, Maryland, (just down the road from me now), and the long ago levelled Capital Centre

Madison Square Garden New York City, July 27th, Attendance: 20,000  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1a_p35tGUw    Quality: B

The first of two sold out shows at THE Garden (four were originally scheduled)  'Body Language' and 'Staying Power' are in, as is the 'disappointing' intro of 'Somebody To Love' before 'Bohemian Rhapsody'.
A somewhat off night for both Freddie (voice again) and Brian.

Madison Square Garden, second night    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrRI_LIoKQQ    Quality: A-
'Somebody To Love' replaces 'Staying Power''  Good but ‘rushed’ performance.

Maple Leaf Gardens Toronto, August 2nd, Attendance: 12,000  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW1hqhY_2dY    Quality: C+   
 75% capacity, and Freddie’s voice is showing even more wear and tear.

A second show was added in Toronto, though Maple Leaf Gardens was only at 75% capacity

And then, finally.....

A second night was planned, but not enough sales.  When first announced, a couple of us were definitely going to both shows.

Joe Louis Arena, Detroit, August 6th,   Attendance: 18,000   https://youtube.com/watch?v=GKgYise0iZ0&t=31s      Quality: C+

Flash (tape) / Rock It / We Will Rock You (fast) / Action This Day / Play The Game / Somebody To Love / Now I'm Here / Dragon Attack / Now I'm Here (reprise) / Save Me / Calling All Girls / Get Down Make Love / guitar solo / Body Language / Under Pressure / Fat Bottomed Girls / Crazy Little Thing Called Love / Bohemian Rhapsody / Tie Your Mother Down cut  <sigh>.

Encore 1: Another One Bites The Dust  We Will Rock You, We Are The Champions, God Save The Queen

Includes 'Somebody To Love', 'Body Language', and 'Calling All Girls'

We rented a van, I drove, and eight of us left about five hours before the show for the two hour trip. Upper deck seats, about ten rows up, John’s side, center ice.  Billy Squier was absolutely fantastic!.  During intermission, I saw more than a few on the lower floor leave to be replaced by empty seats. That was a first!

I've already mentioned my disappointment regarding the intro.  The built up excitement to the tape, the lights, the band appearing..to a 'timid' intro.  Also listen to the end of the guitar solo, and then the reaction at the beginning of ‘Body Language’.  It felt like some of the air had been sucked out of the building, and once again I watched many make their way to the exits, a few returned after a beer or bathroom break.

In spite of the somewhat poor quality of the recording, I knew that ahead of time when I was finally able to purchase it about fifteen years later.  Of course, 'Tie Your Mother Down' would have the ending cut.   >:(   

On the rare occasion that I listen to parts of this, it always hits me hard at the end when Freddie says, "Good night, Detroit, see you soon!" 

It was, sadly, the last time I saw him perform.

I do still have these memories at hand.  Yeah, mine’s faded after forty years, but it fit twenty years ago for my favorite picture ever, and still fits today….

One third of the way through this leg of the tour.  I’m stopping here, as we’re heading out for a couple of days to Annapolis.  This evening’s entertainment:  Jordan Rudess.... 

EDIT:  Took a bit, but the WIP is complete :tup
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 12:44:48 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #731 on: July 14, 2022, 07:49:43 AM »
That's actually a really cool shirt; I like that artwork, even if the album blows.  Contrast that with an album coming up, which may be my favorite Queen album and for which the artwork is silly, not magical. 

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #732 on: July 14, 2022, 08:00:08 AM »
Man, the songs on Hot Space are great live, but the record blows. I actually get into Action This Day and Staying Power on Live at the Bowl, but on the record they suck. This is why I don’t let the live versions skew me in Kev’s countdowns, same as I won’t when we do the Queen countdown when this is all over.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #733 on: July 14, 2022, 08:17:46 AM »
Man, the songs on Hot Space are great live, but the record blows. I actually get into Action This Day and Staying Power on Live at the Bowl, but on the record they suck. This is why I don’t let the live versions skew me in Kev’s countdowns, same as I won’t when we do the Queen countdown when this is all over.

:lol :lol :lol

Which might be in 2024 :D 

There's actually twenty-seven more band related albums to go.  Or is it twenty-eight?  Thirty? 

But, trust me, I'm not going to do a week or two on each of the three Cross LPs (those will be one post) and some of the compilations will only have a couple of days before the next item.  Those 'Deep Cuts' compilations will all be noted in one post as well.

Live material:  yes, the 'Hot Space' live performances are better than the LP.  But I've let the concert renditions sway me in the countdowns.  'The Spirit Carries On' 'Score' version gave that song a small bump, making it my favorite DT song.  And Score's 'Razor's Edge' bumps 'Octavarium' up about ten notches.

Stadler:  go back and look at the 'Bohemian Rhapsody' sleeve.  Then you'll see where the idea of the cover for the next studio LP came from.

time to 'exit, stage left' for a couple of days.......

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #734 on: July 14, 2022, 03:11:24 PM »
I'll leave a note in my will as to who can run the Queen countdown if I am no longer alive in 2065 when this thread is done. :P