Author Topic: QUEEN Discography- MONTREAL '81 in theaters near you  (Read 68659 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: QUEEN discography- The GAME
« Reply #560 on: May 23, 2022, 05:31:22 PM »
The Game is one of those good records that doesn't really have any skippers, except for maybe Save Me, but there isn't anything on there that I consider totally awesome. I could probably get 30 songs deep when making a favorite Queen songs list before even thinking of listing anything from this record. 

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #561 on: May 23, 2022, 07:03:36 PM »
The Game was my first Queen album and I was into it big time back in high school. I subsequently bought the Greatest Hits album and Roger Taylor's Fun In Space solo album, but it was another seven years or so before I started buying their back catalogue, as I was side-tracked by hard rock and heavy metal for a number of years.  :laugh:

Anyway, I’m still fond of the Game but agree there is nothing really outstanding on it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #562 on: May 23, 2022, 07:08:01 PM »
So, The Game came out while I was in the 7th grade. For music class, we had to do a project, so a friend of mine had this album. We thought we'd use it to do one of those interview call back recordings. You know dialog which included spoken word and lines from the songs.

Something along the lines of:
Anyone seen Steve today?
Steve walks wearily down the street

Oh, what was he wearing?
His brim pulled way down low

We ended up going in another direction as we were struggling to keep a cohesive plotline.

Mundane...but true! :D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #563 on: May 23, 2022, 07:16:24 PM »
My mundane but true story about the Game: we had to bring an album to gym class and pick a song to play while leading the rest of the class in aerobic exercises. I had intended to pick Another One Bites the dust, but someone else brought the Game and used AOBTD. I was talked into playing Don’t Try Suicide, which turned out to be kind of a difficult song to do aerobics too.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #564 on: May 23, 2022, 07:18:00 PM »
It'd be the perfect weapon if the gym teacher says...OK everyone, time to do suicides!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #565 on: May 23, 2022, 07:27:26 PM »
It'd be the perfect weapon if the gym teacher says...OK everyone, time to do suicides!

:lol

Oh, the crap they made us do in gym class. Square dancing had to be the worst though.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #566 on: May 23, 2022, 07:28:35 PM »
..or the scoliosis tests..

Bring your halter top!

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #567 on: May 24, 2022, 02:44:00 AM »

:lol

Oh, the crap they made us do in gym class. Square dancing had to be the worst though.

OMFG, I thought I went to the only school that taught that! Talk about useless life skills you'll never use again...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #568 on: May 24, 2022, 08:47:50 AM »
Why does everyone rag on square dancing?  I thought it was great.  Music, physical activity, and my partner Linda who was cute as hell.

♫♫ About forty-five minutes southeast of Thibodaux, Lousiana
♫♫ Lived a cat named Doc Milsap and his pretty wife Hannah...

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #569 on: May 24, 2022, 08:55:02 AM »
So, The Game came out while I was in the 7th grade. For music class, we had to do a project, so a friend of mine had this album. We thought we'd use it to do one of those interview call back recordings. You know dialog which included spoken word and lines from the songs.

Something along the lines of:
Anyone seen Steve today?
Steve walks wearily down the street

Oh, what was he wearing?
His brim pulled way down low

A friend and I did the same thing with Alice Cooper lyrics to Watergate and Nixon.  I know I still have the handwritten notes saved somewhere :D

We ended up going in another direction as we were struggling to keep a cohesive plotline.

Mundane...but true! :D

A friend and I did one of those in the mid 70s, using Alice Cooper lines as it related to all the Watergate characters 😀 I know I still have the dialogue sheet somewhere
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 04:35:18 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #570 on: May 24, 2022, 06:21:30 PM »
Why does everyone rag on square dancing?  I thought it was great.  Music, physical activity, and my partner Linda who was cute as hell.

♫♫ About forty-five minutes southeast of Thibodaux, Lousiana
♫♫ Lived a cat named Doc Milsap and his pretty wife Hannah...

Glad you enjoyed it  :lol

“Heel, toe, heel, toe, slide, slide, slide”, was just not for me. :rollin

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #571 on: May 24, 2022, 08:25:59 PM »
OK Joe..I figured now is the time to explain why your username is DragonAttack. Is this your favorite song?
How close were you to being called Somebody To Love instead? :lol

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #572 on: May 25, 2022, 06:47:18 AM »
Next batch:

News of the World. Going into this re-listen, this was my favourite 70s Queen album, listening to it again, it's probably slipped to number  two. Spread Your Wings and It's Late are both brilliant, and elevate this above the rest of the band's catalogue. The stripped down arrangements work surprisingly well. Get Down Make Love doesn't really sit alongside the rest of the material here. I actually quite like Who Needs You.

Jazz. A bit of a mixed bag, as while it's a good attempt to recapture the earlier sound of the band, the songs just don't sit well together. Bicycle Race is always fun to listen to, Don't Stop Me Now is a classic, but much of the rest is a little all over the place, and Fun It is just awful. This is the last of the "golden age" albums for me.

The Game. A great new start for the 80s, with Rheinhold Mack being a real breath of fresh air, introducing a sound and a formula that will see them through their stadium 80s heyday. Both Rock It and Don't Try Suicide are awful, but the whole album has a quality and cohesion to it that delivers. Save Me is excellent. Really enjoyed listening to this, despite the fact a lot of it has dated badly. A lot of big 70s rock bands struggled to adapt to the new musical landscape of the 80s, and this album sounds like Queen trying to figure out how to do that. The next album should have been great...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #573 on: May 25, 2022, 08:44:52 AM »
I like, not love, this album.  Only the quasi-title track and Save Me are really keepers for me. I'm not a huge fan of the singles.  CLTCL is okay, good not great, but I'm not really a fan of AOBTD.  Over-played and over-rated.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #574 on: May 25, 2022, 12:13:44 PM »
Very good record imo, because it's very consistent. Other records may have higher highs but often that goes along with a lot of skippable tracks. I like all the tracks here, the highlights are Play The Game, Save Me, ABTD and CLTCL. Especially the solo in that one is great, simple yet effective and not really typical of May's style, but he nails it.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #575 on: May 26, 2022, 08:13:31 AM »
OK Joe..I figured now is the time to explain why your username is DragonAttack. Is this your favorite song?
How close were you to being called Somebody To Love instead? :lol

Since my last name is Goodman, my email and message board handle would generally be ‘goodco’ from ‘Good Company’.  (goodoldfashionedloverboy@aol.com didn’t quite suit me😉). My wife is Dragon Attack in a couple of FFball leagues, so I thought I’d use it here. Also, LaBrie did appear on the ‘Dragon Attack’ tribute CD, so it does have a DT tie in.

Oh, btw, hot space and bodylanguage were never considered….

Thanks for the Spotify numbers. I’ll chime in on other comments after this DC getaway when I get home. Will get through The Game tour in short order, as well as the following studio album in a flash..ah-ahh
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #576 on: May 28, 2022, 05:38:16 AM »
Very good record imo, because it's very consistent. Other records may have higher highs but often that goes along with a lot of skippable tracks. I like all the tracks here, the highlights are Play The Game, Save Me, ABTD and CLTCL. Especially the solo in that one is great, simple yet effective and not really typical of May's style, but he nails it.

Yeah, it was a very consistent album.  Each song has very memorable peaks....and then they settle back into a more comfortable or pop mode, rather than building up those moments even more.  But they'd no doubt learn and expand on that with their next real studio album, correct? :D

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography- The GAME North American Tour-Pt 1
« Reply #577 on: May 28, 2022, 05:49:56 AM »
The Game North American Tour Part One

Queen would tour the continent for the first time in the summer / early fall.  It would be their longest tour here, and would be done in three segments, each
with a break of ten days or so.  The warm weather and breaks were certainly beneficial for Freddie, as his voice is strong throughout. 
The ‘pizza oven’ lighting rig is a thing of the past.  For this tour, it’s been ‘broken up’ into separate segments and is referred to as the ‘fly swatters’.  They would rise, lower, change angles, etc throughout the show.  The hand held spotlights are on risers. 

After not having a warm up for their last two tours, this one had a band called ‘The Blasters’ open for the first leg.  Their tiny little drum kit was placed in
front of the Queen drum riser. 

And, of course, the lighting rig was not the only change in appearance from the prior tour…….

Tour begins in Vancouver on June 30th

San Diego Sports Arena, San Diego, July 5th,   Attendance: 15,000     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0hNewc84Yo&t=4995s  Quality: A-

Jailhouse Rock / We Will Rock You (fast) / Let Me Entertain You / Play The Game / Mustapha / Death On Two Legs / Killer Queen / I'm In Love With My Car / Get Down Make Love / Ming's Theme / You're My Best Friend / Save Me / Now I'm Here / Need Your Loving Tonight / Rock It / Love Of My Life / Keep Yourself Alive / drum/guitar solos / Brighton Rock (reprise) / Crazy Little Thing Called Love / Bohemian Rhapsody / Tie Your Mother Down

Encore 1: Sheer Heart Attack  Encore 2:  We Will Rock You / We Are The Champions / God Save The Queen

The Game has been out less than a week.  The first performance of ‘Ming’s Theme’ in the medley, as they’d spent some time in the late winter working on the soundtrack. The first recorded live performances of 'Need Your Loving Tonight' and 'Rock It'.  And other than 'Now I'm Here', there's only three little snippets of songs played from the first three albums.  They've certainly turned into more of a 'hits' band in concert.

I heard this for the first time about three weeks ago.  This is a very high quality audience recording, just made available last year.  There is one major flaw throughout the show.  Note the date.  Sadly, a few axels brought in their left over firecrackers and louder explosives.  They are lit throughout the show, even during ‘Love Of My Life’.

LA Forum, Inglewood, California, July 12th,   Attendance: 18,000      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mbfsO5ldbk&t=5910s  Quality: B/B-      

The last of their FOUR nights at The Forum
‘Somebody To Love’ is back in the set this night after the medley, and Freddie nails it.  ‘Fat Bottomed Girls’ is added for most of the remaining shows.  ‘Rock It’ has been dropped.  ‘Now I’m Here’ is ten minutes, with extra fan interaction and added instrumental. 
Alameda County Coliseum Arena, Oakland,  July 14th,     Attendance: 15,000  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_65fQc6g0jw&t=4516s  Quality: A
The second night in Oakland.  The last performance of ‘Somebody To Love’ for the year.
This is incomplete, as it’s missing ‘Now I’m Here’ and the encores, but a superb recording with yet another great Bay Area crowd.  It is an amazing difference in quality of recording as opposed to the LA Forum show.

This is the last night of the first leg of the North American tour.  They would take three weeks off before playing in Memphis on August 5th.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 07:13:52 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #578 on: May 28, 2022, 10:22:01 AM »

I love this picture!!

Will have to brush up on this tour tonight.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: QUEEN discography- The GAME North American Tour - Part One
« Reply #579 on: May 28, 2022, 10:47:54 AM »

Here's my 45 of Another One Bites The Dust. Does anyone else remember that you could spin it backwards and supposedly hear "decide to smoke marijauna"?

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #580 on: May 29, 2022, 06:20:00 AM »
here's an easier way to hear it   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv6-ZAM5gds

I first heard about that in the mid 80s.  All I had was the LP, and I wasn't about to try playing anything backwards and ruin my magnetic cartridge.

We did joke that perhaps if you played side one of 'Hot Space' backwards, it might erase all the music and then something decent would appear! :lol
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 06:37:49 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #581 on: May 29, 2022, 06:54:09 AM »
The Game North American Tour Part 2

The band return to the stage on August 5th in Memphis .  No doubt ‘Jailhouse Rock’ goes over well here.  And, no doubt, many attendees thought they were just jumping on the bandwagon of ‘The Blues Brothers’ movie, which was released on June 20, which closed with this song.  The setlist remains the same from their last show.

The following night, Dakota would take over as the warm up band.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dakota_(American_band)
August 9th, the band performs at Dallas’ Reunion Arena.  The video for ‘Another One Bites The Dust’ is filmed this day (though it is still not in the setlist).

Hartford Civic Center, Hartford, Connecticut, August 20th,  Attendance: 15,600  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90FGOc3N7A0&t=2339s     Quality: B+

Jailhouse Rock / We Will Rock You (fast) / Let Me Entertain You / Play The Game / Mustapha / Death On Two Legs / Killer Queen / I'm In Love With My Car / Get Down Make Love / You're My Best Friend / Save Me / Another One Bites The Dust / Now I'm Here / Fat Bottomed Girls / Love Of My Life / Keep Yourself Alive / drum/guitar solos / Brighton Rock (reprise) / Crazy Little Thing Called Love / Bohemian Rhapsody / Tie Your Mother Down
Encore 1:  Sheer Heart Attack  Encore 2:  We Will Rock You / We Are The Champions / God Save The Queen

The first available live recording of  ‘Another One Bites The Dust’, which is inserted halfway into the setlist.
Providence Civic Center Providence, Rhode Island, August 26th, Attendance: 14,000  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmD3rMdwb_I&t=3063s 
Quality: A-

The first performance of 'Dragon Attack', a semi crash and burn.  This was another song never played in its entirety.  It is placed in the setlist during (interrupting) 'Now I’m Here'.  Something I never cared for.
The Forum, Montreal, August 29th, Attendance: 18,000  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WkPAoHL9hI&t=34s  Quality: B

'Another One Bites The Dust' ends the concert proper, which is where this recording ends.  'Tie Your Mother Down' is the first encore.  Interesting…..and didn't work for me.

The last time they play ‘Need Your Loving Tonight’ in North America.  Even though it would be released as a single later on.  With all five songs from Side A of ‘The Game’ played this night, it would be the only time they played an entire side of an album in concert. 
Oh, for a Side black of Queen II…….

Exhibition Stadium Toronto, August 30th,   Attendance: 20,000   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVJMD5PKoZw&t=462s  Quality: B-
The one and only outdoor stadium concert ever performed by Queen in North America.  Sadly, they were only allowed to use the grandstands, thus the 'low' attendance.  The tape of this show is missing the encores, with 'Another One Bites The Dust' being the first.  This is the part of the show where the song would be performed almost exclusively for the next two years.

One more show in Rochester, NY before a nine day break.  During the final leg on this side of the pond, Queen would be touring while their most recent album and single releases would be #1 in the States.

The best audience tape of the tour 'coming soon'. ;)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 11:17:08 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: QUEEN discography- The GAME North American Tour - Part Two
« Reply #582 on: May 29, 2022, 04:31:52 PM »
Obviously interested in the local shows first so checking out the Providence show.
I wanted to hear the new stuff. Play The Game, ABTD, and the interesting version of Dragon Attack.

Do you think the audience thought they were getting Love Of My Life when Play The Game Started?
Roger's backing vocals are really clear.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #583 on: May 29, 2022, 06:23:38 PM »
Listening to the Oakland show. I'm surprised that ABTD wasn't played from the jump.

Of course it wasn't released as a single until late August. Stil I'm surprised.

EDIT: This show sounds nice.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 06:32:25 PM by TAC »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #584 on: May 30, 2022, 09:39:40 AM »
The Game North American Tour Third Leg

The fly swatters at rest in St. Paul

After ten days off, the band returns to the stage to perform in the Midwest and NE Atlantic states.

Milwaukee Arena, Milwaukee, September 10th, Attendance: 12,500 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qEDfHjiSAQ&t=4600s     Quality: A-
This would be the basic setlist throughout the rest of the tour
Jailhouse Rock / We Will Rock You (fast) / Let Me Entertain You / Play The Game / Mustapha / Death On Two Legs / Killer Queen / I'm In Love With My Car / Get Down Make Love / You're My Best Friend / Save Me / Now I'm Here / Dragon Attack / Now I'm Here (reprise) / Fat Bottomed Girls / Love Of My Life / Keep Yourself Alive / drum/guitar solos / Brighton Rock (ending) / Crazy Little Thing Called Love / Bohemian Rhapsody / Tie Your Mother Down
Encore 1:  Another One Bites The Dust / Sheer Heart Attack   Encore 2:  We Will Rock You / We Are The Champions / God Save The Queen

The Game hits #1 in the charts  Brian, before Love Of My Life: "We have an album out called The Game." "Do you have it?" As if he needs to ask. "We just heard tonight it's gone to number one in Billboard with a bullet."

St. Paul Civic Center,  St. Paul, Minnesota, September 14th, Attendance 15,000  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icix3zIDxkw
A 25 minute 8 mm video, in snippets, of their show in the Twin Cities.  This is the ONLY available video footage of this tour !?!?!?
Many great photos of the show on queenlive.ca

Rosemont Horizon Rosemont, Illinois,  September 19th     Attendance: 18,500   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhhqMugf1k8   Quality: A
The same person taped the great high quality show at the Chicago Stadium in ’78. This one is just as good, and is the best North American Game Tour concert to listen to.  The only blemish is a slight cut of ‘Now I’m Here’ for a tape flip, and the shortened crowd response after CLTCL.  Interesting to hear Brian ripping the acoustics of this venue. 

One needs to adjust the balance setting slightly, as well as turning down the bass for optimal listening.  In spite of the bad acoustics, the piano sounds spectacular, and Freddie provides some nice noodling before ‘Play The Game’ and ‘Death On Two Legs. 

And his send off: "Thank you, Chicago!  You've been a tremendous audience.  I hope everybody gets laid!'

My favorite concert from the tour, one of my Top Ten Queen audience recordings…..not just for it’s high quality and being complete, but also for the memories it brings back to me because of the following day.
Detroit, Joe Louis Arena, Saturday, September 20th   Attendance 20,000
My best friend, college roommate, and my cousin rode with me as we did the three hour drive from Mount Pleasant to Detroit and back that long day.  Only the second time I had driven to Detroit (Mark Fidrych pitching a 4-0 shutout at Tiger Stadium on July 3rd, 1976 being the first).  I remember the music before Queen taking the stage as being a mix of light jazz, classical etc in years past….relaxing, easy to talk over.  This tour, it was louder and more top 40.  Made for a much different atmosphere before the show.  There was no mention of a ‘special guest’, and seeing Dakota’s tiny drum kit in front of Roger’s riser was somewhat comical.  Their performance was totally forgettable.

Per queenlive.ca, Freddie stopped the show during ‘Love Of My Life’ because the crowd was too ‘restless’.  The loudest cheers of the night were from Freddie coming out in a Detroit Lions hat during ‘Another One Bites The Dust’ (I think he was on the shoulders of Darth Vader at the beginning of it).  The Lions had adopted the song during a season that started off so well and with high expectations, going 4-0 before fading as they normally did. For eons afterwards, the lyrics have been changed to ‘another one beats our butts’ 😊

Kalamazoo ’78 still is my all time concert highlight.  ’77 is close.  This one would be part of the ‘Mount Rushmore’ due to the performance, visuals, enjoyment of the whole day, etc.  Since it wasn’t played during the concert proper, I half expected ‘Somebody To Love’ to be in the encores.  I missed the crowd participation enjoyment of it, as well as  ’39.  Those were part of what made Queen concerts so unique.  My only ‘complaint’ about the show.
After listening to the Chicago show from the night before, I was also reminded of when Freddie does the intro of ‘Mustapha’.  Thinking back to ‘Live Killers’, I thought BoRhap was going to be played then.

somehow the shirt still fits

It makes me think back to being an inexperienced and inebriated 16 year old, riding along with older guys and seeing Queen and Aerosmith opening for Mott the Hoople.  Six years later, I'm in Detroit with my best friends and twenty thousand other people watching my band .....the top band in the world at the time!
September 23rd  Glen Falls Civic Center   Attendance: 4900 Odd to perform in such a small venue, though there are some terrific pictures of the show on queenlive.ca

And then on to Syracuse, Boston, and....

Three nights at Madison Square Garden to close out the tour.  Both the band and audiences live up to their reputations. 

September 28th,    Attendance 20,000 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9tAiMRTjTE  Quality: B

September 29th  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRR76lXBRXc&t=5424s    Quality: B

September 30th  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnOK9059WEE&t=43s   Quality: B / B- (merged sources)

With the opening act ‘Dakota’ (standing between John and Brian is someone wearing a tour tee shirt pictured earlier….)

‘Another One Bites The Dust’ hits #1 in the States the following week, their second single in a year to hit the top spot on this side of the pond.  Along with a #1 album, sold out shows throughout the continent, numerous nights at The LA Forum and Madison Square Garden, Queen has certainly accomplished its dream in ‘conquering’ America.  They head home to take a well deserved rest before going into the studio before touring Europe.

Having reached their heights in popularity, it would be hard to match their current success in the future.  No doubt, they’d come up with something only Queen would do.  Their first attempt would be 'interesting'.....

« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 08:09:11 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography- FLASH GORDON The Movie
« Reply #585 on: May 31, 2022, 05:04:57 PM »
and ever so briefly, a few words here regarding

FLASH GORDON the movie

Released: December 5th (USA), December 11th (UK)

Produced by Dino De Laurentiis
Starring Sam J. Jones, Melody Anderson, Ornella Muti, Max von Sydow, Topol, Timothy Dalton,
Mariangela Melato, Brian Blessed, Peter Wyngarde

Music by Queen and Howard Blake
Yes, it was camp, and a shame for who was cast as Flash and Dale.  The rest of the cast was damn good with some stand out careers.  Max von Sydow is Max von Sydow, and he's terrific as Ming. Klytus was the perfectly evil first lieutenant, and I loved Aura because, well...what college age guy wouldn't love Aura?

Nowadays, when televised, the best ;) part of the movie most likely gets shrunk and silenced for previews of the upcoming show.  Listed here is the soundtrack version of 'The Hero'  (a shame this version didn't find its way onto any of the band's various compilations      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wdYGgZa8Ng

soundtrack tomorrow
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 07:14:35 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: QUEEN discography- FLASH GORDON-the movie
« Reply #586 on: May 31, 2022, 05:30:13 PM »
Flash Gordon was good, silly fun, exactly what it was meant to be.  Queen has always had a very theatrical side to their music, and I thought it worked well.

"This is boring!  Give me the remote control!"

:lol :lol :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #587 on: May 31, 2022, 06:21:50 PM »
Is this 1980 or 1981? I think I recognized the movie poster. Not a superhero guy so I wouldn't have given it any attention.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #588 on: May 31, 2022, 06:25:01 PM »
As soon as 10 year old me found out that there were aliens that get impaled and bleed green blood I was there so fast it would’ve made your head spin.

As a kid I owned the album strictly on the basis of the single. Thought the rest of the album was boring except for the football scene and the final fight sequence. Now that I’m older and appreciate instrumental and soundtrack music much more, I think the entire album is just incredible.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: May 31, 2022, 08:52:37 PM »
Is this 1980 or 1981? I think I recognized the movie poster. Not a superhero guy so I wouldn't have given it any attention.

I’m still stuck in 1980 :D  The soundtrack, a solo album, and three short tours worth noting before getting to their Greatest Hits release(s) over the weekend.
early next week

I did enjoy quite a bit of the soundtrack. But, as always with a Queen album, there are ‘buts…..’

EDITED June 1st

« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 08:40:02 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #590 on: May 31, 2022, 08:54:41 PM »
Sounds good. Never heard anything from Queen after The Game, besides Innuendo. Looking forward to all of it.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography- FLASH GORDON soundtrack
« Reply #591 on: May 31, 2022, 11:52:21 PM »
careful what you ask for.......

FLASH GORDON

Released:  December 8, 1980 UK (EMI), January 21, 1981 USA (Elektra)

Charts: UK #10, USA #23
Austria #1, West Germany #2, Netherlands #7, Canada #10, Norway #25, Australia #29, Sweden #29

Certifications:
Platinum in Poland, Gold in the UK

Singles: 
Flash Theme b/w Football Fight
Released:  December 6 UK, January 17th USA
Charts:  UK #15, USA #42
Belgium #2, Scotland #15, West Germany #17, Austria #42
Certifications:  Silver in UK

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_Gordon_(soundtrack)

(unlike the album version, this has movie dialogue added)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfmrHTdXgK4  amazingly, it has 28 Million views

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoYLivX8A4M&t=2203s  disregard the crapola rap Flash theme after ‘The Hero’

or in segments  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r346rRTFvR4&list=PLeLqSlokcbKNd0MGftDNdtscNhA-9vK6r   

John Deacon - bass guitar, synthesizer, guitar
Brian May - guitars, vocals, piano, organ, synthesizer
Freddie Mercury - vocals, synthesizer
Roger Taylor - drums, vocals, timpani
Howard Blake - orchestral arrangements

Recorded   February–March; October–November 1980
Producer: Brian May and Mack 

SIDE ONE
Flash's Theme  (May)   3:31
In the Space Capsule (The Love Theme) (Taylor)    2:43
Ming's Theme (In the Court of Ming the Merciless)  (Mercury)  2:41
The Ring (Hypnotic Seduction of Dale)  (Mercury)  0:57
Football Fight  (Mercury)  1:28
In the Death Cell (Love Theme Reprise)  (Taylor)  2:25
Execution of Flash  (Deacon)  1:06
The Kiss (Aura Resurrects Flash)    (Mercury, Howard Blake)  1:45

SIDE TWO
Arboria (Planet of the Tree Men)  (Deacon)  1:42
Escape from the Swamp  (Taylor)  1:43
Flash to the Rescue  (May)  2:44
Vultan's Theme (Attack of the Hawk Men)  (Mercury)  1:13
Battle Theme  (May)  2:18
The Wedding March (Wagner, arr. May)   0:56
Marriage of Dale and Ming (And Flash Approaching) (May, Taylor)  2:04
Crash Dive on Mingo City  (May)  1:00
Flash's Theme Reprise (Victory Celebrations)  (May)  1:24
The Hero  (May, Blake)  3:31

Disc 2: Bonus EP (2011 Universal  reissue)
Flash (Single Version) / The Hero (October 1980... Revisited) /  The Kiss (Early Version, March 1980) / Football Fight (Early version, no synths! – February 1980) /  Flash (Live at the Montreal Forum, November 1981) /  The Hero (Live at the Montreal Forum, November 1981) May
A disc MINUS the movie dialogue would have been a real bonus!  The two demos are quite nice, as they are piano driven.

‘Football Fight’ demo  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ripsKwMekDo
‘The Kiss’ demo  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JVJiNpaESI

One omission was the original version of ‘The Hero’ that plays during the movie credits (mentioned in the movie post)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wdYGgZa8Ng
A bit more of a raw version, and quite good

What to say about this one?  Recorded between sessions of ‘The Game’ and finished after their North American tour, the soundtrack does show that the band has fully embraced synthesizers.  As is, it would have made a nice EP.  Take the first two tracks, ‘Football Fight’, ‘The Kiss’, and then ‘Vultan’s Theme’ onwards.  I DID play ‘The Wedding March’ at the beginning of my two wedding receptions.  Hey, I'm a sucker for Brian's 'orchestral' guitar sound, and he nails this!

I did expect ‘more’ in the way of music, experimentation, maybe even some piano. More orchestra would have also been nice.

Perhaps the best thing would have been to have just released a single, using the LP version of ‘Flash’ and either the studio or movie version of ‘The Hero’ as the B-side, and been done with it.  Or added different instrumentals in after the movie ..... without the damn dialogue!

(though we get reference number one regarding the question: 'who wants to live forever? in 'Attack of the Hawk Men')

Finally, the band were performing in London at Wembley Arena the night that the album was released.  No doubt they were in good spirits ... until they read the news the next morning.  A shorter concert took place on the 9th, though a version of 'Imagine' would be sadly added to the set list.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 10:17:21 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #592 on: June 01, 2022, 03:20:57 PM »
Possible additions to the soundtrack:  titled 'The Dark', this appeared over a decade later on his 'Back To The Light' LP.  It was from the ‘Flash’ sessions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmQpEnOUdrE  (not the first 37 seconds)

and Freddie's 'It's A Beautiful Day' demo from 1980 (whether it was from 'The Game' sessions or not) it could have found its way later on to the movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUTFl0fNjIU
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 03:49:44 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #593 on: June 01, 2022, 03:22:19 PM »
Gonna spin this tonight!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #594 on: June 01, 2022, 07:48:49 PM »
Realized I didn't properly go through The Game as I was on vacation.

Play The Game I know this from my Greatest Hits collection obviously, plus I actually have this CD, though I haven't heard it in ages. I LOVE THIS SONG! LOVE IT! Freddie is perfect on this.

Dragon Attack This is a cool song. Not my favorite Queen track by any stretch. It's pretty raw. John Deacon is awesome on this. Reminds me of Billy Squier's The Stroke. Is it me, or didn't Billy Squier open a Queen tour along the way?

Another One Bites The Dust Great tune. Not overplayed at all....no matter how many times they play it. Perfect execution. And I love the fact that one of their most popular songs is a Deacon track. He's way underrated as a songwriter.

Need Your Loving So Bad This sounds a lot like 70's KISS.

Crazy Little Thing Called Love What a fun song. You cannot listen to this and not air drum/guitar something.

Rock It This has a lot of 70's glam elements...Mott, The Sweet, T-Rex, that sort of thing. If I listen to it in that vain, I can definitely live with it.

Don't Try Suicide Kind of an odd track, honestly.

Sail Away Sweet Sister I really like most of the Brian May sung songs, and this is no different. I love the acoustic solo after the first chorus. It's the kind of thing that Michael Schenker would do. Love the orchestration of the guitar parts in the solo. Real nice and understated track.

Coming Soon I still don't really know what to make of this track. It has a great solo, but everything else is kind of a mess.  :lol

Save Me This is another great song. Excellent way to close this album.

I know they went for a stripped down approach a bit on News Of The World, which I thought was really uneven, but it really works on The Game. A pop album? I don't find it any more poppy than anything from ANATO onward.

The Game has a latent and understated strength to it. This album is legit.