Author Topic: QUEEN Discography- MONTREAL '81 in theaters near you  (Read 70739 times)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography- LIVE KILLERS
« Reply #525 on: May 14, 2022, 01:28:28 PM »
@ Joe....brace yourself. It could be a bumpy ride from here. :lol

You mean like this?

Other than life's interferences, why do you think I've been quite deliberate in posting about all the good things of the 70s? ;)  They lost me in the 80s, but thank goodness for their last album, their 'coda', and Wembley '86 that were released within one year of Freddie's passing.

Trust me, that decade will go by in a 'flash....a-ahhh' ;)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #526 on: May 14, 2022, 01:32:22 PM »
So, I ran through Live Killers at work yesterday, and I really enjoyed it. Great deeper tracks like Brighton Rock would've never resonated with me before.

And I really do not like medleys.  They just seem like dumb excuses to play parts of songs and tease the audience, when I would always prefer to hear songs in their entirety. 

I completely agree. Dio used to do this in the 80's and it drove me nuts.

They lost me in the 80s,

I'm expecting more outstanding writeups and information for the 80's albums as we got for the 70's.

Hoping you'll keep sharing those real time impressions as these albums were released, and how you may or may not have come to terms with them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #527 on: May 14, 2022, 05:12:45 PM »
Spotify streams..

SIDE ONE     
We Will Rock You (Fast)...1.18m   
Let Me Entertain You...739k   
Medley:
     Death On Two Legs...831k   
     Killer Queen....1.39m     
     Bicycle Race ....975k       
     I'm in Love with My Car...795k     
   Get Down, Make Love ...644k     
     You're My Best Friend...905k   

SIDE TWO     
Now I'm Here...660k     
Dreamer's Ball...583k     
Love of My Life....1.47m       
'39...1.04m     
Keep Yourself Alive...692k   

SIDE THREE     
Don't Stop Me Now...2.47m      
Spread Your Wings....1.01m   
Brighton Rock ....610k   

SIDE FOUR     
Bohemian Rhapsody ....971k    
Tie Your Mother Down...574k   
Sheer Heart Attack....418k     
We Will Rock You....570k     
We Are the Champions....622k     
God Save the Queen....362k 

Once again, the song I can't remember ever hearing has the most streams.

And for as many streams as the studio version of Bohemian Rhapsody has, I thought this version was surprisingly low, even at 971k.

But it shows that this album is not popular with the kids. :lol

Oh, and I know why I never got past side 1. I probably shut it off with IILWMC and GDML back to back. I never liked those songs.

Honestly, IILWMC actually isn't that bad musically, except for the fact that it's called I'm In Love With My Car. :lol

But 'Trampled Underfoot' was OK?  :D

btw, I know you enjoyed the Providence '78 show, as well as Oakland and Vancouver.  Take yourself back as a young TAC and finally have a live
album to hear months after seeing that band.  Kalamazoo wasn't my first time, but it was my first 'live' album to hear.

Also, ......when 'Jazz' finished with 'More Of That Jazz', and then we got the live album, I though the band was done.  Over.  Broke up.  Kaput.  That was generally how things went back then.

OK, I'll admit, the 'Live Killer' numbers did not jump out.  That's not surprising, yet the third highest total was for 'Love Of My Life'.

A quick jump into the 'rabbit hole' for various results on youtube showed...

'Love Of My Life' live, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUJkCXE4sAA     lists 71 MILLION views.  Wembley and other performances have
millions of hits.  THAT rather surprised me.

Various WWRY, WATC etc performances from Montreal, Milton Keynes, Budapest, Wembley etc have one to thirty million views.  Very hard to put a number
on what was released 'live', though having a video certainly adds to the views.

Oh, and since I have worn this jacket below to all five of the Dream Theater preshows that I've hosted (and Jordan admired :tup), I thought I'd include a bit more 'obsession' with this album (and I'll probably go back to it as the avatar that I had for years on this forum).  And, yes we each had the red and green vinyl release when we met. And I thank Mrs. DA for buying it for me on our first anniversary nineteen years ago.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 07:09:47 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #528 on: May 14, 2022, 05:42:41 PM »

btw, I know you enjoyed the Providence '78 show, as well as Oakland and Vancouver.  Take yourself back as a young TAC and finally have a live
album to hear months after seeing that band.  Kalamazoo wasn't my first time, but it was my first 'live' album to hear.

Oh hell yes, of course!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 06:39:45 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #529 on: May 14, 2022, 06:14:00 PM »
I LOVED this record when I got it (not in real time; later, probably mid-to-late '80's, whenever it first came out on CD) and love it now. This is a great record, and SCREAMS for the UFO Strangers treatment (a live box of all the complete shows that went into the final release). 

I'd be first in line for that.

Well, it did go Platinum in the States, so a lot of people had to love it.  Most of us did, right? :tup  Side One for the most part was for those liking the less filling, while Sides Two, Three, and Four were where the meat and potatoes existed.  Prejudicial opinion, but was there a better live album side than Side Four (excluding anything from 'Score' or 'Live Scenes' ;))

If one wants to get totally anal over what was on it, this and that, so on and so on, here's a link for the Queen 'nerds'  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2FE30SNjEA&t=139s   To quote George Harrison, ...'it's all too much' for me.

A 40th anniversary two disc release, of the songs in the order of the original setlist, Providence '78, THE best European show, and the bits of all the best videos in order would have easily taken $75-100 out my wife's and my pockets. :tup
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 09:18:10 PM by DragonAttack »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #530 on: May 14, 2022, 06:22:30 PM »

If one wants to get totally anal over what was on it, this and that, so on and so on, here's a link for the Queen 'nerds'  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2FE30SNjEA&t=139s   To quote George Harrison, ...'it's all too much' for me.

No way, I love that kind of thing. It's the fourth episode and it's 40 minutes?? WOW!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #531 on: May 14, 2022, 06:28:35 PM »
deleted  web pic gone

« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 07:12:11 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #532 on: May 14, 2022, 06:31:32 PM »
also deleted
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 07:12:39 PM by DragonAttack »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #533 on: May 14, 2022, 06:38:10 PM »
 :metal :metal :metal

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #534 on: May 14, 2022, 07:02:46 PM »
Saarbrucken Festival, Ludwigsparkstadion, Germany, August 18th    Attendance: 35,000 +  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0RgQFBq9GE&t=2334s  Grade: C+
(posted only for its novelty sake)

We Will Rock You (fast) / Let Me Entertain You / If You Can't Beat Them / Mustapha / Death On Two Legs / Killer Queen / I'm In Love With My Car / Get Down Make Love / You're My Best Friend / Now I'm Here / Somebody To Love / Spread Your Wings / Love Of My Life / Keep Yourself Alive / guitar/drum solos / Brighton Rock (ending) / Bohemian Rhapsody / Tie Your Mother Down / Sheer Heart Attack / Jailhouse Rock / We Will Rock You / We Are The Champions / God Save The Queen

The shorter set is due to the festival.  First performance of ‘Mustapha’. 

Freddie is in fine voice after months off.  Very poor recording, especially hearing all the fans singing around the taper.  (Wow, did we all sound that bad? :lol :lol

Queen headlined this 1979 festival in Germany, with Red Baron, Voyager, Lake, Molly Hatchet, The Commodores, Ten Years Later (Alvin Lee's late-70s trio), Rory Gallagher also on the day's bill. The Commodores weren't able to finish their set, as they were booed off the stage, along with having to dodge bottles being thrown at them for being a funk and r&b band playing at a rock festival. (a pity, and so racist :tdwn)
queenlive.ca

And, the night that Roger screwed up dyeing his hair, and it ended up green. :rollin  His anger boiled over throughout the show, resulting in him smashing his kits off of the podium onto the stage at the end of the show (no Keith Moon imitation intended....)

The final show for the ‘Special Guest’ Pizza Oven lighting rig. Farewell, my trusty and glorious  friend  :heart :heart

« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 09:14:12 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
CRAZY LITTLE THING CALLED LOVE  b/w We Will Rock You (live) (UK),  Spread Your Wings (live) (USA)

Released:   
October 12, 1979 UK, December 7, 1979 USA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO6D_BAuYCI  185 million views

Charts:  USA #1 for four weeks, UK #2
#1 in Australia, Canada, Netherlands
Ireland #2, New Zealand #2, Belgium #3, South Africa #3, Switzerland #5, Norway #8, Austria #9, West Germany #13

US #18

Certifications
Gold in Denmark, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand   
Platinum in the UK and USA

Listed separately for a couple of reasons.  The first is that it was released in the UK eight months before the next album. The other reasons are that 'The
Crazy Tour' would soon follow, and that it was their first #1 in the States.

Tomorrow: the Crazy Tour
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 09:55:30 AM by DragonAttack »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: QUEEN discography- Crazy Little Thing Called Love
« Reply #536 on: May 15, 2022, 04:09:40 PM »
Joe, released 8 months before the album? Was CLTCL recorded separately (before) from the rest of The Game?

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography- Crazy Little Thing Called Love
« Reply #537 on: May 16, 2022, 07:14:32 AM »
yes...as was this...

SAVE ME b/w Let Me Entertain You (live) UK, Sheer Heart Attack (live) Japan
Recorded June-July 1979
Released: January 1980
Charts: UK #11
Netherlands #5, Norway #7, Belgium #13, Italy #31, West Germany #42, (not released in the States)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw3izcZd9zU  35 Million views
(nice little special effect with the dove and guitar)

Brian May wrote "Save Me" about Freddie. Recorded in the Summer of 1979 in Munich. The song was written when Mercury's relationship with American chef Joe Fanelli had just ended. During an interview for the radio show In the Studio with Redbeard, May stated: "I wrote ['Save Me']—to cut a long story short—I wrote it about a friend, someone who was going through a bad time, and I imagined myself in their shoes, kind of telling the story. Someone whose relationship is totally f*cked up and how sad that person was."

Of note....the last we'd see Freddie without his 'stache until '84.....

CRAZY TOUR this afternoon

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: QUEEN discography- SAVE ME 45
« Reply #538 on: May 16, 2022, 04:30:38 PM »
Listening to Save Me closely...

Freddie sounds kind of spent on it, whereas he didn't on CLTCL.

Were CLTCL and Save Me from the same sessions?

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #539 on: May 16, 2022, 06:15:06 PM »
Listening to Save Me closely...

Freddie sounds kind of spent on it, whereas he didn't on CLTCL.

Were CLTCL and Save Me from the same sessions?

Well, one song is upbeat, and the last one…..

‘I hang my head
and I advertise
a soul for sale or rent…’

tears my wife up every time.

Both songs were the summer ‘79 sessions
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 06:31:51 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #540 on: May 17, 2022, 12:40:56 PM »
Save Me was from the beginning one of my favorite Queen songs. Much like Brian himself, who has talked about his fandom for different artists, I am capable of spending hours mining for the smallest detail about an artist's views or personal life in interviews just to understand a few lines in their songs a little better, and it always stood out to me that Save Me wasn't about a personal experience, but about a friend. Always thought, damn, must be a very close friend that you can write about something they went through with that level of sympathy and eloquence, I wonder who it was. Then recently he says it's about Freddie. Loose thread solved. The thrills of being a Queen fan in 2022 :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #541 on: May 18, 2022, 07:50:53 AM »
I knew it was of a Freddie relationship ending, but not of that one.

The little new tidbits I keep coming across during this......

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #542 on: May 18, 2022, 08:17:09 AM »
The Crazy Tour

Ten cities, twenty one shows in November-December ’79.  The concert hall capacities intentionally ranged from only from 2000-5000.  A couple of these venues were so small, that supports had to be drilled into the ceilings to hold the smaller modified Pizza Oven ‘Junior’.  The rig was still too big for one venue, so only Roger’s drumkit and a few spotlights were used.

Roger’s face is on the drumkit, making any pictures from the year distinguishable from the ‘Jazz / Live Killers’ tour.

This was the first tour that Queen performed in Ireland.  At the end of those shows, the traditional tape of ‘God Save The Queen’ was intentionally not played (the first time since Hyde Park due to curfew).  Instead, the ending of 'Teo Torriate' from 'A Day at the Races' was used. Smart.

The ‘normal’ setlists are similar to the ‘Live Killers’ tour, though all sorts changes did take place throughout.  ‘Crazy Little Thing Called Love’ and ‘Save Me’ have been added.  ‘Tie Your Mother Down’ is the second song a couple of times, ‘Liar’ is often played on the second night in the same city. ‘Jailhouse Rock’ has been brought back, often as the opener.  Sometimes, ‘Let Me Entertain You’ was played first, followed by the ‘We Will Rock You’ fast version

Apollo Glasgow, Scotland December 1st,  Attendance: 3,500  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfT3DtUVhP8   Quality: B-
Five songs in the middle of the show are being absent.
Not the best quality recording, though it is consistent throughout.  Yet I thoroughly enjoyed hearing the crowd singing ‘Spread Your Wings’….even drowning out Brian during the ending instrumental!  As well during CLTCL, TYMD, Car, DSMN, STL WWRY WATC and even GSTQ
I don’t think I’ve heard so much hand clapping during a Queen concert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shNVOSsMynM  'Bohemian Rhapsody' live footage supposedly filmed here (great view during the opera and rock parts)
Newcastle City Hall Newcastle, England December 4th,   Attendance: 2,135  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjr75UE8FI8   Quality: B+

The night before, ‘Tie Your Mother Down’ was the second song, ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ ended the concert proper, and ‘Crazy Little Thing Called Love’ was the second encore.  This night was more the norm, though 'Jailhouse Rock' makes its first appearance as the opening track.
‘Liar’ is in the setlist (as it often was during their second night in the same city). 

Freddie is in SUPERB voice, Brian’s fingers are not.  Per reviewers, this might be Freddie’s best vocal night ever…..
I bought this about three decades ago.  A pure treat, as it was such a find and pleasure to listen to then (and now).

Not the Cavern Club, but a few photos from Liverpool.

Lyceum, December 13th.  This is the first in a series of seven shows in London, some of which were in clubs like this one. Holes had to be
cut into the ceiling of this small venue in order for the lighting rig to be attached. 

A return to the ‘Rainbow’ for the first time in five years after their (finally) released March and November ’74 shows.

Bristol Hippodrome
A review of the PA system the band used on this tour (a Clair Brothers) was published in the next issue of International Musician, saying it hit 110 dB during Brian May's acoustic solo segment in Love Of My Life on this night, and rising to 118 to 125 for the rest of the show - louder than their stadium shows in 1986.

London, December 17th  The Tottenham Mayfair seated HUNDREDS.  Only a few spotlights and those around Roger’s drum kit were used.

Alexandra Palace, London, December 22nd   Freddie in his silver lurex for the last time during the encores

next up:  The Concert For The People of Kampuchea
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 10:10:53 AM by DragonAttack »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: QUEEN discography- The CRAZY TOUR '79
« Reply #543 on: May 18, 2022, 02:44:08 PM »
The Newcastle show is decent enough once my ears acclimated to it.

Was scrolling through the pics of the tour on QueenLive. Some great shots.

Queen seemed to like to tour their homeland at Christmas time.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #544 on: May 19, 2022, 12:29:34 PM »
The Newcastle show is decent enough once my ears acclimated to it.

Was scrolling through the pics of the tour on QueenLive. Some great shots.

To think I had some black and whites from Kzoo '78 that sadly disappeared :sad:

Yeah, Newcastle isn't the best, but it was all I had for about ten years, until......

next up:  the Concerts for the People of Kampuchea

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #545 on: May 19, 2022, 12:57:46 PM »
The Concerts For The People Of Kampuchea

In December '79, the concerts for the People of Kampuchea was a series of shows featuring Queen, The Clash, The Pretenders, The Who, Elvis Costello, Wings, and many more artists, which took place at the Hammersmith Odeon in London during December 1979.  This was done to raise money for the victims of war-torn Cambodia.

The event was organized by Paul McCartney and then United Nations Secretary General Kurt Waldheim. The final night was the last concert of Wings. An album and EP were released in 1981, and the best (?) of the concerts were released as a film, Concert for Kampuchea.

It was not released until early 1981 (why rush to release a fund raising concert to provide funds for the cause they were performed for? :facepalm:)
(You want the biggest bang for the buck?  A late winter/early Spring '80 release, with CLTCL included might have done the trick)

Charts:  USA #36

Singles:
Little Sister (Rockpile with Robert Plant)  USA #8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeoqRhhQ8rs  Video begins with most of 'Now I'm Here' and some of 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concerts_for_the_People_of_Kampuchea

The list of performers

December 26th
Queen

December 27th
Ian Dury and the Blockheads (with guest Mick Jones on "Sweet Gene Vincent")
Matumbi
The Clash

December 28th
The Pretenders
The Specials
The Who

December 29th
Elvis Costello & The Attractions
Rockpile (with guest Robert Plant on "Little Sister")
Wings
Rockestra

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concerts_for_the_People_of_Kampuchea_(album)

Baba O'Riley (Pete Townshend) – 5:12
Sister Disco (Townshend) – 5:16
Behind Blue Eyes (Townshend) – 3:46
See Me, Feel Me (Townshend) – 5:49
Tracks 1–4 performed by the Who

The Wait (Chrissie Hynde, Pete Farndon) – 3:28
Precious (Hynde) – 3:23
Tattooed Love Boys (Hynde) – 3:18
Tracks 5–7 performed by Pretenders

The Imposter (Elvis Costello) – 2:10
Performed by Elvis Costello & the Attractions

Crawling from the Wreckage (Graham Parker) – 3:02
Performed by Rockpile

Little Sister (Doc Pomus, Mort Shuman) – 3:33
Performed by Rockpile with Robert Plant

Now I'm Here (Brian May) – 6:49
Performed by Queen

Armagideon Time (Bennett) – 4:15
Performed by the Clash

Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick (Ian Dury, Chaz Jankel) – 4:30
Performed by Ian Dury & the Blockheads

Monkey Man (Toots Hibbert) – 2:26
Performed by the Specials

Got to Get You into My Life (John Lennon, Paul McCartney) – 2:57
Every Night (McCartney) – 4:17
Coming Up (McCartney) – 4:08
Tracks 15–17 performed by Wings

Lucille (Albert Collins, Richard Penniman) – 3:03
Let It Be (Lennon, McCartney) – 4:12
Rockestra Theme (McCartney) – 2:30
Tracks 18–20 performed by Rockestra

next up: Queen's December 26th performance
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 09:56:27 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: QUEEN discography- The CONCERTS For The People Of KAMPUCHEA '79
« Reply #546 on: May 19, 2022, 02:01:22 PM »
I heard the live version of "Now I'm Here" from this album and was blown away.  I hadn't really thought about Queen in a while, but this put them back on my radar.  I love the echoing on Freddie's vocals, creating a similar effect to some parts of "The Prophet's Song" but more limited (and IMO more effective).  The call and response with the audience.  And the jamming is amazing.  Usually when a three-piece goes into a guitar solo, it feels empty because there's no rhythm guitar.  Not here.  I think it's a combination of Brian's style which includes a lot of chords anyway, John Deacon totally owning the low end, and Roger just smashing everything in sight.  This is my favorite Queen performance, period.  This song, this particular recording.  I had a mix tape for years that I'd made back in the 80's and put this song on first, so I could just listen to it any time I wanted, which was often.  And of course in the digital age I always had a copy on my iPod, now backed up to my PC.  Yeah, you could say I love it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #547 on: May 19, 2022, 02:42:03 PM »
I remember seeing the Rockpile/ Robert Plant Little Sister on MTV quite regularly.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #548 on: May 19, 2022, 02:45:50 PM »
I remember seeing the Rockpile/ Robert Plant Little Sister on MTV quite regularly.

Yeah, me too.  I love that song ("Crawling From The Wreckage" as well).

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #549 on: May 20, 2022, 02:44:46 AM »
I'd never heard of this one - interesting that they included 3 songs from The Pretenders but only 1 from Queen. Queen always were a bit of an outlier in the UK record industry.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #550 on: May 20, 2022, 10:14:19 AM »
I heard the live version of "Now I'm Here" from this album and was blown away.  I hadn't really thought about Queen in a while, but this put them back on my radar.  I love the echoing on Freddie's vocals, creating a similar effect to some parts of "The Prophet's Song" but more limited (and IMO more effective).  The call and response with the audience.  And the jamming is amazing.  Usually when a three-piece goes into a guitar solo, it feels empty because there's no rhythm guitar.  Not here.  I think it's a combination of Brian's style which includes a lot of chords anyway, John Deacon totally owning the low end, and Roger just smashing everything in sight.  This is my favorite Queen performance, period.  This song, this particular recording.  I had a mix tape for years that I'd made back in the 80's and put this song on first, so I could just listen to it any time I wanted, which was often.  And of course in the digital age I always had a copy on my iPod, now backed up to my PC.  Yeah, you could say I love it.

Couldn't put it any better than this  :tup

I also had it on a live mix tape of various artists.  It was such a great live tune.

I'd never heard of this one - interesting that they included 3 songs from The Pretenders but only 1 from Queen. Queen always were a bit of an outlier in the UK record industry.

One side of the LP could have had the first official live releases of 'Somebody To Love', 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love', along with 'Now I'm Here'.  It would have sold additional millions world wide.  I saw it perhaps as envy on McCartney's part (?).  Again, why it took over a year to be released is anyone's guess.

tonight:  Queen's full Kampuchea performance......and what a performance it was! :tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #551 on: May 20, 2022, 10:25:44 AM »
I know this is a "Queen" thread, and so the love is here (I have no doubt that the music would have killed), but I can think of 100 reasons why the groups were selected as they were, why the songs were as they were, why the release was delayed... and I'm not sure that McCartney's emotional status plays into many of them.

The album was on Atlantic, for example; that explains why the single was "Little Sister" by Rockpile with Plant.  Both were ON Atlantic (through the Swan Song label).   They were promoting their own.  Queen was on EMI at the time (I believe) and McCartney was on Capitol, though in '70 he was in the process of moving to Columbia (I think).

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #552 on: May 20, 2022, 10:58:00 AM »
So label politics basically fucking everything up.  Business as usual, it seems.

Seriously though, yeah, I'm sure there were a lot of rights issues that had to be worked out, which would affect both the release schedule and the song list to some extent.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #553 on: May 20, 2022, 06:01:38 PM »
I'm certainly not the most impartial person in regards to all of the above :D

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #554 on: May 20, 2022, 06:24:03 PM »
Concert For The People Of Kampuchea  

Hammersmith Odeon, London  December 26th Attendance 5000   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYty3r2xj-c  Quality: A++

(compare the bootleg cover compared to the two Rainbows and Odeon official ones)

on the ‘Kampuchea’ official video release
 Now I’m Here   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkkFKUmFJ70
’39    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou4u-lel2IY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH6FcRJ7Gj4  videos that are available are inserted

Thunderbolts and Lightning / Jailhouse Rock / We Will Rock You (Fast) / Let Me Entertain You / Somebody to Love / If You Can't Beat Them / Mustapha  / Death On Two Legs  / Killer Queen / I'm In Love With My Car / Get Down, Make Love / You're My Best Friend  / Save Me  / Now I'm Here  / Don't Stop Me Now  / Spread Your Wings  / Love of My Life   / ’39 / Keep Yourself Alive / Instrumental  / Great King Rat  / Silent Night  / Brighton Rock (Reprise)   / Crazy Little Thing Called Love  / Crazy Little Thing Called Love (Reprise) / Bohemian Rhapsody / Tie Your Mother Down

Encore 1: Sheer Heart Attack Encore 2: We Will Rock You / We Are the Champions / God Save the Queen 

Snippets of ‘Great King Rat’ and ‘Silent Night’ are included in the instrumental. 

The final performances of If You Can't Beat Them, Don't Stop Me Now, and Spread Your Wings. '39 would be dropped from the setlist for good as well (a real pity).

quoting the host of queenlive.ca : "This recording showcases Queen in their prime, at the absolute peak of their powers. Most of these renditions of songs are leaps and bounds above the ones heard on Live Killers and, if officially released, could perhaps rank up there with the greatest rock live albums of all time."

I wouldn't go that far but, then again....THIS concert should have had an official release.  It would also be nice to have all the video made available.  One would think this show had been touched up with some overdubs…..that’s how good Queen's performance is this night! 

Freddie's voice is superb+ this night.  He adds different phrasing, and reaches notes that he couldn't during the 'Live Killers' tour.  Brian, Roger, and John all have A+ nights.  My wife and I had waited six months to listen to this show again until yesterday, and it was so worth the wait.  Freddie's singing on 'Somebody To Love' alone is worth the 'price of admission'.  The same with 'Don't Stop Me Now', 'Spread Your Wings', 'Now I'm Here' (already mentioned) and the closing six tracks. 

The crowd is also a star, quite audible during the singalongs and acting as the chorus on so many others.  The little impromptu they sing after 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love' is a treat, though it was a bit odd to hear all the hand clapping during 'Bohemian Rhapsody'.  This might also be the best all around performance of 'Sheer Heart Attack'.  It totally smokes!

There are many great concerts that are now available from the 70s from all the different tours that were not officially released.  Detroit ‘77 and Providence ‘78 are my favorites for personal reasons. This is my third.

It was Queen’s last performance of the decade. They certainly went out on a high note. 

« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 09:57:09 AM by DragonAttack »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #555 on: May 20, 2022, 07:07:14 PM »
Concert For The People Of Kampuchea  

Hammersmith Odeon, London  December 26th Attendance 5000   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYty3r2xj-c  Quality: A++

Wow, this is really nice. How can they drop all of these great tunes, but keep Mustapha? :facepalm:

The crowd at the beginning of DSMN  :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH6FcRJ7Gj4  videos that are available are inserted

The link doesn't work... But I'm not on my home network..

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography- HAMMERSMITH ODEON Dec '79
« Reply #556 on: May 20, 2022, 08:25:32 PM »
^
I found that link a week ago and thought it would be a nice little addition. Seems the user’s account was terminated. Maybe for what they had included (?).

Oh, btw, guess what tune is always played during ‘The Game’ tour? I rather enjoy it, but there’s fifty others I’d prefer in its place.

Yer getting good with your Queen shorthand 😉 :tup

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #557 on: May 21, 2022, 07:46:46 AM »

The link doesn't work... But I'm not on my home network..

This one does work   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar0HLoH6Kmg   black screen where there is no video, to help you find what IS available

Filmed songs:  end of 'Jaihouse Rock' on through Freddie’s speech after 'Somebody To Love':  a close up of Freddie's fingers during the unique intro of 'Death on Two Legs' on through 'Now I'm Here' (nice visuals of the 'Get Down Make Love' instrumental after the stupid split screen), 'Love Of My Life' and ''39', 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love', the gong ending of 'Bohemian Rhapody' til the end (some great video of the end of 'Tie Your Mother Down' and the end of 'We Are The Champions'....

with the Cecil B. DeMille production crew of cameras generally doing a pretty good job :D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 01:51:36 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography- HAMMERSMITH ODEON Dec '79
« Reply #558 on: May 23, 2022, 02:10:06 PM »
The GAME
Released:   June 30, 1980, EMI (Europe), Elektra  (USA)

Charts: UK #1, USA #1…43 weeks in the charts, 21 weeks in Top 10, 5 weeks at #1
Argentina #1, Canada #1, Netherlands #1, Norway #2, West Germany #2, Austria #5, Japan #5, Sweden #7, Austrailia #11, New Zealand #11

Iceland #92

Certifications :
Gold in the UK, Austria, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, West Germany, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Spain
2x Platinum in Argentina
4x Platinum in the United States

Singles:
Crazy Little Thing Called Love  b/w Spread Your Wings (live)
Released: October 12, 1979 (UK), December 7th, 1979 (USA)
UK #2, USA #1 (and others already posted)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO6D_BAuYCI  185 Million views

Save Me b/w Let Me Entertain You (live)
Released:  January 25, 1980
UK #11, USA NR (and others already posted)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw3izcZd9zU  13 Million views

Play the Game b/w A Human Body
Released: May 30 UK
Charts:  #14 UK, USA #42
Norway #6, Switzerland #8, Ireland #9, Netherlands #15, Canada #22, West Germany #40, France #42
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_5O-nUiZ_0  23 Million views

Another One Bites the Dust b/w Don’t Try Suicide (USA), Dragon Attack (UK)
Released: August 22
Charts: UK #7, USA #1
Canada #1, Israel #1, Spain #1, New Zealand #2, South Africa #3, Australia #5, Austria #6, West Germany #6, Ireland #6, Switzerland #8, Belgium #9, Netherlands #11, Sweden #12, France #24

and….USA Billboard Hot Disco Singles #2 and Hot Soul Singles #2 (do I insert a  :D or  :sad: here?)

2018-19
USA Hot Rock & Alt Songs #4, Canada #19, Italy #51, France #84

Certifications:
Gold in Greece
Platinum in Canada and Denmark
2x Platinum in UK
4x Platinum in Australia and USA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEE  539 Million views

Need Your Loving Tonight b/w Rock It (Prime Jive)
Released: November 3 (USA and select countries)
Charts:  USA #42

Liner Notes:
Produced by Queen
Engineered and Co-Produced by Mack
Various other credits, thanks, and then….

"This album includes the first appearance of a Synthesizer
(an Oberheim OBX) on a Queen album"
  :o :eek :sad:

The album  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoYqfVzXAGw (also includes ‘A Human Body’ and ‘It’s A Beautiful Day’)

SIDE ONE
Play The Game  (Mercury)  3:30
Dragon Attack  (May)  4:18
Another One Bites The Dust  (Deacon)  3:35
Need Your Loving Tonight  (Deacon)  2:50
Crazy Little Thing Called Love  (Mercury)   2:42

SIDE TWO
Rock It (Prime Jive)  (Taylor)  4:33
Don't Try Suicide  (Mercury)   3:52
Sail Away Sweet Sister  (May)   3:33
Coming Soon  (Taylor)  2:51
Save Me  (May)   3:48

June – July 79 Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Sail Away Sweet Sister, Coming Soon, and Save Me
all others February – May 1980

2011 Universal reissue bonus disc
Save Me (Live in Montreal, November 1981) / A Human Body (B-side to Play The Game) (Taylor) /
Sail Away Sweet Sister (Take 1 with guide vocal) / It's a Beautiful Day (spontaneous idea, April 1980) (Mercury) / Dragon Attack (Live at Milton Keynes, June 1982)
The original demo of ‘It’s A Beautiful Day’, which would have two versions and a single made from this during the ‘Made In Heaven’ release, is a gem.  It should have found its way onto this album in some form.  ‘A Human Body’ was nice to finally have on disc, even if it was perhaps the worst song they’d ever released up to this point.

Live versions of ‘Play The Game’, ‘Crazy Little Thing Called Love’, ‘Need Your Loving Tonight’, ‘Save Me’, and yeah, ‘Another One Bites The Dust’ were all available from their ’80 tours. 

A version of ‘Play The Game’ was made available on their ‘Forever’ release back in 2014, minus the synth intro

SANDBOX  demo, by Brian in ’79.  No vocals  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J074_IC4uqk
No gatefold sleeve (after ‘Jazz’, ‘A Kind Of Magic’ would be the only studio LP to have one).  Once again, no times were listed (?)  but at least it had a lyric sheet, and then the somewhat startling set of band photos. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_(Queen_album)

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/reinhold-mack-queen-freddie-mercury-interview/

“I remember our first meeting in 1980 very well,” Mack, 70, tells uDiscover Music in an exclusive interview. “I was working with Gary Moore in Los Angeles and was told Queen would be in Musicland Studios, in Munich, and might need me. I bought a plane ticket and went to Munich. When I met Freddie, he said, ‘What are you doing here?’ I told him I had heard there might be a good chance Queen wanted to work with me. He said not really, because the band were coming off a Japanese tour and only had two more weeks to spend outside the UK. ‘Anyway,’ he suddenly said, ‘I hear they have these wonderful beer gardens….’

actually the year was 1979…..and, of course Gary Moore would get mentioned ;)

Despite their new surroundings, the band weren't in any rush to begin recording again, and used the initial sessions as a means of testing out the working methods between band and producer. In June 1979, the band started work on their new album, and so laid-back were the sessions that only four usable tracks were created: Coming Soon (which had been started during the Jazz sessions), Sail Away Sweet Sister, Save Me, and Crazy Little Thing Called Love. An instant click was felt, and Mack was willing to explore more experimental methods of recording as opposed to Roy Thomas Baker's more tried-and-trusted approach. At the end of the month-long sessions, the band called a halt to the proceedings in order to prepare for what would be The Crazy Tour.  queenpedia
'The Game is a good pop album.  It still has Freddie on most of the LVs (Roger LV after the intro of ‘Rock It’, Brian most LVs on ‘Sail Away Sweet Sister’).  There are still some of the trademark backing vocals and guitar, just not as much, and the sound is certainly stripped down. It did fit the era well.  My least favorite was/is AOBTD.  I put ‘Spread Your Wings’ (studio) in its place when I recorded it onto a tape.  And then Brian’s ‘Let Me Out’ when that became available.  I eventually warmed to it many, many years later. 

Considering two songs had been released 6-8 months prior, the album is incredibly short at 35 minutes, and, well, it just seems like a collection of songs put together.  Can’t argue with its success, and still find it a pleasure to listen to.

And, most certainly, this was the end of their ‘golden era’.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 09:53:27 AM by DragonAttack »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: QUEEN discography- The GAME
« Reply #559 on: May 23, 2022, 03:33:36 PM »
Ooh, I see a Gary Moore reference there! Gonna have to read that writeup carefully.

Anyway..some Spotify numbers!

Play the Game....59.3m
Dragon Attack....9.7m
Another One Bites The Dust....1.26B
Need Your Loving So Tonight....6.2m
Crazy Little Thing Called Love....459.5m
Rock It (Prime Jive)....4.9m
Don't Try Suicide....6.4m
Sail Away Sweet Sister....6.3m
Coming Soon....3m
Save Me....79.5m

There are the two biggies, obviously, but I'm surprised to see Save Me have 20 MILLION more streams than Play The Game. Play The Game was on my Queen's Greatest Hits, and is one of my favorite tunes by them.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 04:18:31 PM by TAC »