Author Topic: QUEEN Discography- MONTREAL '81 in theaters near you  (Read 70572 times)

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography-A Day At The Races
« Reply #315 on: April 02, 2022, 05:20:37 PM »
IMO, THE MOST underrated album of theirs! Coming off of A Night At The Opera, it just didn't garner the same attention. Well for me, ADATR is BETTER than ANATO! Okay, no Bohemian Rhapsody mega shock value, but the album on the whole is MUCH STRONGER in my belief. This album also contains not one, not two but THREE of my all time top 10 Queen songs in TYMD (#1), STL (#6) and WM (#10). Add great tracks like, You Take My Breath Away (my all time favorite Queen ballad), You and I, Long Away (my favorite Brian sung track), Millionaire's Waltz ( :hefdaddy), GOFLB (pure gold) & Teo Torriatte and  IMO you get the 3rd strongest Queen album of all time. Only Drowse falls short for me.

I give this album a solid 9/10! :hefdaddy

This was the end of what I consider THE CLASSIC ERA of Queen. Sure, greatness was to continue, but NOTHING that followed matched this era for Queen (live as well, except for the NOTW tour which was mind blowing)!

Agreed with it being underrated.  Any follow up to a megahit is underrated.  Some is sales, some is perception....sometimes it's because it isn't that good.  I think of various releases of that era, and, no matter what they created, the follow up was a 'failure' based often on perception or sales.  I think Boston's 'Don't Look Back' Side One is one of the ten best album sides in rock history......but that debut album was an impossible beast to follow.

As to 'Drowse'....I think 'The Millionaire's Waltz' should have been on Side Two.....but.....Roger's track fits so perfectly with the 'flow'.  And you all know what I think about 'flow' ;)   :lol
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 06:46:59 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #316 on: April 02, 2022, 06:15:44 PM »
I don’t know why, but that sudden ballad after the rocker of Tie Your Mother Down hits me way worse here than Lazing after Death On Two Legs on ANATO. I’ve never been able to get into this album the way it deserves. I ought to try again, because I’ve never been able to sit through the whole thing at once.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #317 on: April 02, 2022, 06:22:45 PM »
Some Spotify Stats...

Tie Your Mother Down...40.9m
You Take My Breath Away...7.8m
Long Away...5.5m
The Millionaire Waltz...7.5m
You And I...5.5m
Somebody To Love...634.4m
White Man...3.1m
Good Old fashioned Lover Boy...167.9m
Drowse...5.3m
Teo Torriatte...4.8m
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #318 on: April 02, 2022, 07:03:25 PM »
OK, I have just listened to A Day At The Races for the first time in my life.

Here are my first impressions..

Tie Your Mother Down... Is this intro influenced by their Japan tour? Some backward tape here?
Anyway, I'm familiar with this song. It's actually pretty heavy which I know translates to a great live song. I guess I always assumed this was a "token" heavy song, but after learning that the first three albums at least were fairly heavy, this kind of fits right in.

You Take My Breath Away...Really cool piano driven track. Great tone on the keys. Honestly, I wish they'd have just started the song with the piano instead of the vocals effects. I agree with Deadeye, this song is like screeching brakes after TYMD. Not sure what's coming up, but I'd have closed Side 1 with this. And that ending is unnecessary.

Long Away...I have to say that I have been pleasantly surprised at the Brian sung songs. Not sure I'd call it a great voice, but there's a charm and sincerity to it. A bit understated, but always enjoyable.

The Millionaire Waltz...Great bassline. Happy to hear that. Nice enough song. Sounds like something from Broadway. Not really in my wheelhouse though.

You And I...Nice and pleasant song. I think John Deacon had a song on an earlier album, right? This one is better. This song hits kind of a sweet spot. Actually, thinking about it, you know the band is great when they can take a song like this and really make something out of it.

Somebody To Love...Great song. Deserving of every accolade. This has to be one their best songs.

White Man....I don't know what to make of this song. Sounds like an impromptu studio jam, honestly. That ending was really interesting. I think they could've had something cool built around that.

Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy...This is a Queen song.

Drowse....more like drowsy.

Teo Torriatte...Looking at who wrote what on wiki, it all makes sense. But I was surprised to see that this was Brian and not Freddie. The piano part at the beginning is phenomenal. I felt like the band bogs it down a little. But that second verse is kind of haunting. Really cool. I have a feeling that this song works better live than it does here. The chorus and full on band sections simply do not do those amazing verses justice.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #319 on: April 03, 2022, 06:47:06 AM »
I've never really liked this album, other than Tie Your Mother Down, Long Away, and Somebody To Love. The rest just falls flat for me.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #320 on: April 03, 2022, 07:08:40 AM »
I used to like this album a lot more than I do now. I rarely revisit it anymore, although Tie Your Mother Down, Long Away and Somebody to Love are all mainstays in my Queen shuffle.  I am a sucker for the songs where Brian May sings lead vocal, so Long Away is right up my alley.

You Take My Breath Away is a good song, but I agree that putting it in the 2nd slot was odd.  Gives the start of the album a weird flow.

The Millionaire Waltz is one I actually like quite a bit, but I have to be in the right mood for it.

I have never gotten the fascination some have for White Man.  Seems like a boring rocker.  I don't care for Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy, and while I like the intro to Drowse, the song overall is pretty average. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #321 on: April 03, 2022, 07:44:00 PM »
OK, I have just listened to A Day At The Races for the first time in my life.

Here are my first impressions..

Tie Your Mother Down... Is this intro influenced by their Japan tour? Some backward tape here?
Anyway, I'm familiar with this song. It's actually pretty heavy which I know translates to a great live song. I guess I always assumed this was a "token" heavy song, but after learning that the first three albums at least were fairly heavy, this kind of fits right in.

You Take My Breath Away...Really cool piano driven track. Great tone on the keys. Honestly, I wish they'd have just started the song with the piano instead of the vocals effects. I agree with Deadeye, this song is like screeching brakes after TYMD. Not sure what's coming up, but I'd have closed Side 1 with this. And that ending is unnecessary.

Long Away...I have to say that I have been pleasantly surprised at the Brian sung songs. Not sure I'd call it a great voice, but there's a charm and sincerity to it. A bit understated, but always enjoyable.

The Millionaire Waltz...Great bassline. Happy to hear that. Nice enough song. Sounds like something from Broadway. Not really in my wheelhouse though.

You And I...Nice and pleasant song. I think John Deacon had a song on an earlier album, right? This one is better. This song hits kind of a sweet spot. Actually, thinking about it, you know the band is great when they can take a song like this and really make something out of it.

Somebody To Love...Great song. Deserving of every accolade. This has to be one their best songs.

White Man....I don't know what to make of this song. Sounds like an impromptu studio jam, honestly. That ending was really interesting. I think they could've had something cool built around that.

Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy...This is a Queen song.

Drowse....more like drowsy.

Teo Torriatte...Looking at who wrote what on wiki, it all makes sense. But I was surprised to see that this was Brian and not Freddie. The piano part at the beginning is phenomenal. I felt like the band bogs it down a little. But that second verse is kind of haunting. Really cool. I have a feeling that this song works better live than it does here. The chorus and full on band sections simply do not do those amazing verses justice.

You're pretty spot on for one listen :tup  Will I put you in a brain freeze if I say that the change from TYMD to YTMBA is jarring :D  (or is it better to say from 'Tie' to ' Breath'?)  It took me the loooooonnnngest time to get used to that change!  Also, the ending of 'Breath' is often criticized, so you were spot on there.  It works for me as part of the album, not the song on its own.  You are spot on with the Brian songs.  Deacon wrote 'Misfire' and 'Best Friend'.  Side Two....I think it took me until after NOTWorld to appreciate 'Lover Boy' on its own, but it fit nicely on Side Two.  Same with 'drowsy' :D  This ends up being the last song with his vocals that I like until his solo efforts.  And, 'I love Flo!'   

I gave the album another spin.

If I ever make a Queen CD, I'm editing out the intro and outro to You Take My Breath Away. The song proper is excellent, even if misplaced.

I really like You And I. I hope that makes the setlist for the upcoming tour. I look forward to hearing a lively live version.

Is Teo Torriatte Italian, and if so, why is the chorus in Japanese? :lol

I have never gotten the fascination some have for White Man.

People have a fascination with it? It feels like a demo, honestly.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #322 on: April 04, 2022, 11:28:29 AM »
Is Teo Torriatte Italian, and if so, why is the chorus in Japanese? :lol
Nope, that's also Japanese!

Drowse is one of my favorite Queen songs in general so I'm mildly offended at your writeup :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #323 on: April 04, 2022, 02:22:47 PM »
This is the period of Queen that I like least; not because it's bad, but because it's so... unpredictable.   They remind me of Kiss in a way; there's the Paul songs, the Gene songs, the Ace songs and the Peter songs... and it's hard to ignore that there probably was a decent Ace or Paul tune shuffled aside to keep the malcontent (Peter) happy.  After all, he is a hooligan (won't go to school again). 

I'm not suggesting that they should just make the same record over and over, nor am I suggesting they shouldn't explore other avenues.   But there's no real atmosphere here; I can't immerse myself into a Queen record from this era like I can Queen II, or something like Clutching At Straws or something like that.   I do like - not love - a fair amount of this record, but it depends on the moment.  White Man is good, Drowse is good, Long Away is good.  None of these rise to the level of, say, Bohemian Rhapsody or The Prophet's Song, or some of the other high points in the catalogue.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #324 on: April 04, 2022, 02:37:51 PM »
But what in their discography does rise to Bohemian Rhapsody? I mean, that's a tall ask, is it not?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: April 04, 2022, 03:48:20 PM »
But what in their discography does rise to Bohemian Rhapsody? I mean, that's a tall ask, is it not?

Well, yes and no.   It's their Stairway To Heaven, to be sure, but in terms of what I listen to, I go for a Queen II, Works, A Kind Of Magic... there's a lot that comes before ADATR. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #326 on: April 04, 2022, 03:51:05 PM »

Well, yes and no.   It's their Stairway To Heaven, to be sure, but in terms of what I listen to, I go for a Queen II, Works, A Kind Of Magic... there's a lot that comes before ADATR.

So that's a yes. Gotcha!

I mean, when I think Zeppelin, I  never go for LZ4.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #327 on: April 04, 2022, 07:01:15 PM »
I had meant to keep some rankings as we go. I've got them, and I'll update as we go..

So far...

Album Rankings
Sheer Heart Attack
Queen II
Queen
A Day At The Races
A Night At The Opera

These are the tracks that I will throw into the Queen Ranker at the end of the thread. I still may add some songs from these albums.

Queen
Keep Yourself Alive
Great King Rat
Liar
Son And Daughter

Queen II
Father To Son
White Queen
Ogre Battle
The March Of The Black Queen

Sheer Heart Attack
Brighton Rock
Killer Queen
Flick Of The Wrist
Lily Of The Valley
Now I'm Here
Stone Cold Crazy

A Night At The Opera
Death On Two Legs
You're My Best friend
'39
Love Of My Life
Sweet Lady
Bohemian Rhapsody

A Day At The Races
Tie Your Mother Down
You Take My Breath Away
Long Away
You And I
Somebody To Love

I find Queen I and Queen II extremely close. Still need to flesh those two out.

Even though I nominated 6 tracks from ANATO to only 4 tracks from ADATR, yet list ADATR above ANATO...it's because I highly suspect the ADATR tracks will score much better than the ANATO tracks in the Ranker.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 07:08:33 PM by TAC »

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #328 on: April 04, 2022, 07:34:51 PM »

Drowse is one of my favorite Queen songs in general so I'm mildly offended at your writeup :lol

Me, too!  And, this guy three  :D  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nakYjO2xDoc
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #329 on: April 04, 2022, 07:41:46 PM »

Joe, I just watched that. I was wondering WTF you were talking about when you mentioned the Marx Brothers albums, and this video explained it to me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: April 05, 2022, 07:24:04 AM »
I'm always in for a list!

Album Rankings
Queen II
Queen
A Night At The Opera
Sheer Heart Attack
A Day At The Races

These are the tracks that I will throw into the Queen Ranker at the end of the thread. I still may add some songs from these albums.

Queen
Keep Yourself Alive
Doing Alright
Great King Rat
Liar
Son And Daughter

Queen II
Father To Son
White Queen
Ogre Battle
Fairy-Feller's Master Stroke
The March Of The Black Queen
Funny How Love Is

Sheer Heart Attack
<Side One>

A Night At The Opera
I'm In Love With My Car
You're My Best friend
'39
Love Of My Life
Sweet Lady
The Prophet's Song
Bohemian Rhapsody

A Day At The Races
Long Away
You And I
Somebody To Love
White Man

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography-the HYDE PARK '76 concert and 150,000+ friends...
« Reply #331 on: April 05, 2022, 10:16:30 AM »
Somebody To Love b/w White Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kijpcUv-b8M
411 Million views

Thanks to this thread, I see that is now up over 412 Million views! :lol

Might be at 415 Million by the time I finish. ;)  But there's no rush (if there hadn't been a Rush countdown, we'd be further along.  And now VH....thanks, Kev!)

Some Spotify Stats...

Tie Your Mother Down...40.9m
You Take My Breath Away...7.8m
Long Away...5.5m
The Millionaire Waltz...7.5m
You And I...5.5m
Somebody To Love...634.4m
White Man...3.1m
Good Old fashioned Lover Boy...167.9m
Drowse...5.3m
Teo Torriatte...4.8m

Surprised that TYMD has a relatively low number of hits.  With the lists you've posted, had thought that would be around 75-100M (which it might get to by the time I finish).

But I keep finding new things and fall into the 'rabbit hole' quite often.  And part of the delays are for, shall we say, 'absorption'.  I couldn't imagine hearing some of these albums and then hearing another one three days later.  There's a lot of intricate work in these five albums that they released in just three and a half years.

It also gives one a chance for some to give an album another listen after they've been immersed in Megadeth, UFO, or Alice Cooper ;)

I am not listening to each and every concert that I've provided links for, but some I've spent a good half hour straight or pick just a couple for variations.....others I've revisited in their entirety, and others I'd never heard before this year.  For instance, the Boston '76 concert blew me (and my wife) away at times.  It's all so good, but I had no idea of Roger doing the high end and Freddie the semi baritone during 'Brighton Rock'.  And 'Doing Alright'...the lovely piano beginning, the crowd clapping along during the acoustic part (I might have been doing that a couple weeks later! And how I loved the great little rendition of 'Lazing'...a shame they didn't put that back into their medley a couple years later. 

Oh, and to see the video of Hyde Park for the intro, '39, 'Lap of the Gods..' etc.  A real shame that wasn't properly stored, and then not digitally fixed up.

The fact that I got both of you wankers to use a Queen Ranker pleases me to no end!   ;) :tup

« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 07:40:50 AM by DragonAttack »

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: April 05, 2022, 10:40:46 AM »
This is the period of Queen that I like least; not because it's bad, but because it's so... unpredictable.   They remind me of Kiss in a way; there's the Paul songs, the Gene songs, the Ace songs and the Peter songs... and it's hard to ignore that there probably was a decent Ace or Paul tune shuffled aside to keep the malcontent (Peter) happy. 

I'm not suggesting that they should just make the same record over and over, nor am I suggesting they shouldn't explore other avenues.   But there's no real atmosphere here; I can't immerse myself into a Queen record from this era like I can Queen II, or something like Clutching At Straws or something like that.   I do like - not love - a fair amount of this record, but it depends on the moment.  White Man is good, Drowse is good, Long Away is good.  None of these rise to the level of, say, Bohemian Rhapsody or The Prophet's Song, or some of the other high points in the catalogue.

But, for most, it is there favorite (myself included).  This Midwestern farm boy had his Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Tull, Yes, Sweet, Bowie, Deep Purple (damn, note the British influence!), as well as Aerosmith, Rush, Nugent, J.Giels, Chicago, Seger, Steppenwolf, etc....along with fun bands like Paul Revere & The Raiders, The Monkees (gasp), The Supremes, The Temptations...

And then there was Alice Cooper and the 'theater' on the dark side. And KISS (Alive! being one of the first five albums I could buy to put on that new record player my Mom bought me the year before! :tup)  With the music also came the image.  Queen certainly had it all.

Side One's of both 'Opera' and 'Races' are mostly fun atmospheres.  Being 17 and 18 and listening to both of those Side Twos, well, when the atmosphere was also enhanced with a beverage or three or certain other substances, it made for quite the atmosphere! ;) :tup

Song writing:  I have no clue, other than lyrics, I don't see John as having written most (certainly not all) of 'You're My Best Friend' and 'You And I'. It was his idea for the electric piano.  Roger and Brian were together in the 60s, and Freddie was begging to join with them.  And Roger sang lead in a band before Smile.  So there's all that history.  And other than the drums on 'Loser In The End', I absolutely loved all five of his songs up to this point.  They somewhat borrowed from The Beatles, just as Styx did from 'Crystal Ball' onwards, and that was having three lead singers.  I loved the variety, and it seemed to work pretty good for all three.

Oh, and the list of so many classic albums that came out from '75 through '77 is too long to list here.  'Opera' and 'Races' are certainly two that deserve their place in that group (the next one is fairly memorable as well).

I don’t know why, but that sudden ballad after the rocker of Tie Your Mother Down hits me way worse here than Lazing after Death On Two Legs on ANATO. I’ve never been able to get into this album the way it deserves. I ought to try again, because I’ve never been able to sit through the whole thing at once.

I think it helped to be around female company at times to sway my opinion initially.  ;)  It certainly wasn't overnight, and then after some days (year?) it clicked.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 01:11:24 PM by DragonAttack »

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: April 05, 2022, 11:09:05 AM »

Joe, I just watched that. I was wondering WTF you were talking about when you mentioned the Marx Brothers albums, and this video explained it to me.

I was going to post these after the North American 'Races' Tour, but since you commented nicely....

A couple of more videos I found last night in the 'rabbit hole' while I was looking up something else in regards to Roger in '77.

This is a Roger interview from the '00s with snippets placed and played over the interview later.  (For those who watch(ed) 'Breaking Bad' you even get an audio snippet of 'Lydia The Tattooed Lady' ;Dhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndh0cgkUyG4

The same interview, without the snippets, and the skipped over part around 1:35 with Groucho saying, "Well, you're singers!  <effing> sing!"  :lol
https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/music/1475061/Freddie-Mercury-Queen-Groucho-Marx-Brian-May

Groucho also sent Queen a telegram.  I am not sure as to whether it was sent after 'A Night at the Opera' or 'Races', or during the North American tour,
which said something like, "Congratulations on the success of your album. I will be calling my next movie, Greatest Hits of the Rolling Stones".

I still remember seeing the picture with the jacket in a Creem magazine that year.  Groucho was an institution.  Enjoyed his interviews on the talk show circuit, had seen half a dozen of their films by that time.  He would die less than six months after this meeting.... three days after Elvis.  Sadly, all the focus was on The King

« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 12:41:06 PM by DragonAttack »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: QUEEN discography-the HYDE PARK '76 concert and 150,000+ friends...
« Reply #334 on: April 05, 2022, 12:18:48 PM »
It also gives one a chance for some to give an album another listen after they've been immersed in Megadeth, UFO, or Alice Cooper ;)

I resemble that remark!

I ran through quite a bit of these first few albums the last couple of nights.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: April 08, 2022, 02:25:07 PM »
life is real...

Comments of the available ADATR North American and European tours coming shortly.  To at least acknowledge some early favorites of the first five albums, here is as close as I can remember of what I made for my first ever 'best of' compilation for any band. 

Intro - Tie Your Mother Down / Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon / I’m In Love With My Car / You’re My Best Friend / Tenement Funster / Flick Of The Wrist / Lily Of The Valley / Seven Seas Of Rhye
Brighton Rock / Somebody To Love / White Man / Killer Queen / In The Lap Of The Gods…revisited

Procession – Father To Son / White Queen / Keep Yourself Alive / Modern Times Rock ‘n Roll / Son And Daughter / Nevermore
Stone Cold Crazy / She Makes Me / Bohemian Rhapsody / Drowse / Teo Torriate

(On a 'special one', a couple of rockers were removed, with 'Love of My Life' and 'You Take My Breath Away' finding their way for a reason ;)

And....from Tim and Bill's prior posts, at least there's a few (actually many) that would never have made their lists before.  There is certainly some gratification in that regards.  Hope the same applies to those following this 'slow simmering' thread.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 03:05:11 PM by DragonAttack »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #336 on: April 08, 2022, 03:23:47 PM »
(On a 'special one', a couple of rockers were removed, with 'Love of My Life' and 'You Take My Breath Away' finding their way for a reason ;)

AKA "The Chick Tape"

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Well played!

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography-A Day At The Races North American tour
« Reply #339 on: April 10, 2022, 09:58:36 AM »

Cheap Trick opened a few shows.  Meanwhile, Thin Lizzy were promoting their latest album, "Johnny The Fox". The North American leg of the their tour was supposed to begin in late November 1976, but guitarist Brian Robertson injured his hand during a fight, which led to it being postponed to January 1977. Guitarist Gary Moore stood in for Robertson.  And, as fate would have it, arrangements were made to be the warmup act for a certain British band.

Queen set out on their fourth tour of the States, once again in the winter. This would often have an effect on Freddie’s voice (as well as transporting equipment and themselves), and four California concerts were cancelled or rescheduled due his vocal problems. He often had issues hitting the high ranges throughout, his voice ‘cracks’ at times, and yet….I’ll bet no one in the audience those nights noticed (and we harp on JLB in his fifties!  :huh: )

"Part of the American leg of that tour involved the bands use of a very special plane. The plane that was originally booked was found not to be airworthy, and so a substitute was rented at very short notice from a very special place. The Lisa Marie was furnished by the Elvis Presley Organisation and we used this delightful personalised jet for several weeks. It was the closest Freddie ever got to meeting Elvis. It would have been his dream come true. At a later date, Lisa Marie actually gave Freddie a scarf which had once belonged to her father." queenlive.ca
(my wife and I were on it three years ago…..)

Queen are still playing occasional 8000 seat arenas (sold out!), but often in the largest available venues, such as Detroit’s Cobo Arena, the Boston Garden, Vancouver’s Pacific Coliseum, the Omni in Atlanta, and two nights each at The Forum in Inglewood and Madison Square Garden.

Five very good songs have been dropped on this tour: ‘Flick Of The Wrist’, ‘The March of the Black Queen’, ‘Seven Seas Of Rhye’, the surprisingly great rendition of ‘Doing Alright’, the fun and short ‘Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon’ and the first half of ‘The Prophet’s Song’. 

The setlist is beginning to change into what we would become familiar with for the rest of their career.  Two songs are added that would remain concert staples, while a third transformed into its current form.

The taped intro of ‘A Day at the Races’ plays to a darkened arena. Brian then plays the familiar opening riff before the lights and flash pods explode to
‘Tie Your Mother Down’.  Once again, 'Never miss the beginning of a Queen concert!....  and this was one of their best.  The familiar to some ‘Ogre Battle’ and ‘White Queen’ follow.  Even if you have tired of these by now, those seeing the band for the first time certainly enjoyed them (just listen to the Boston and NYC crowd reactions).  ‘Somebody To Love’, which they were very hesitant in performing, worked out damn well in concert.  The medley really works well , and ‘The Millionaire Waltz’ fits in quite nicely. 

The singalong ‘’39’ is great for its unique fun, and then just Freddie and piano for the ‘main’ part of ‘You Take Me Breath Away’. And his performance took away mine!

‘White Man’ is very faithful to the album version, and then the very odd vocal improv hystrionics.  Captivating in person, with Freddie under the spotlight, but it is certainly not ear candy. This leads right into the ending of ‘The Prophet’s Song’.

The major change follows:  ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ in its now familiar and forever form (other than ‘Live Aid’).

And then the reminders that they are a rock band, but still with the Queen touch, with ‘Saturday Night’s Alright (For Fighting)’ finding its way into the rock ‘n roll medley encore for some shows.

Sadly, there is absolutely NO available professionally filmed footage of this tour, just a few snippets from not so good views, such as San Francisco, March ’77    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X490TGpnS4

Typical set list:
 Overture / Tie Your Mother Down / Ogre Battle / White Queen / Somebody to Love /  Medley: Killer Queen : The Millionaire Waltz : You're My Best Friend / Bring Back That Leroy Brown / Sweet Lady /   Brighton Rock / ' 39 / You Take My Breath Away /  White Man / Vocal Improv /  The Prophet's Song /   Bohemian Rhapsody /  Stone Cold Crazy /  Keep Yourself Alive / Liar / In The Lap Of The Gods…revisited   Encores:  Now I’m Here / Big Spender /   Jailhouse Rock / God Save The Queen

Uploaded less than two months ago
Dane County Coliseum, Madison, Wisconsin, January 14th, 1977   Attendance: 10,000      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKV3Ezg0jdM    Quality: B-(incomplete, cuts out during ‘Liar’)  The volume goes up and down often, but it is the first available live recording of 'Somebody To Love'

The Kalamazoo Gazette's harsh review on   https://www.queenlive.ca/ Select a year '77  submitted by yours truly.

The picture below is from the Kalamazoo Airport 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LcbMcAcm24   30 seconds of big spender

Of note was a great Thin Lizzy performance in Toledo, followed by half of the Queen concert, before the taper's batteries ran out.  Sadly, the link was pulled in the last year.

Richfield Coliseum, Richfield, Ohio, January 23rd, 1977   Attendance: 20,270   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WYe2LfhNds     Quality: C+ to me

‘It’s good to be here in  Cleveland, the nasty Queenies are back’.  One of the last times Freddie would utter that phrase.  It is missing most of the ending from ‘Lap…’ onwards. Of note is that it is the first available North American soundboard concert, and was the first available NA concert up until two months ago.

EDIT: Jan 23 2023 addition
Toledo Sports Arena, Toledo, Ohio,  January 30th, 1977    Attendance: 6,500   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP3_nN7ByTg&t=2s  Quality: B

The first recording of this concert surfaced a little over a year ago, but it was only the first half of the show as the taper’s batteries ran out. This is a second source that is much more complete, but is missing the second encore.

EDIT:  Jan. 23, 2023 addition

Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto, February 1st      Attendance: 16,500    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfI_hb5oAbc     Quality: B+
Queen’s first performance ever in Toronto.  The '74 tour stop was cancelled due to Brian's illness, and they did not visit during the ANATO tour.  This show now becomes the first available ADATR Canadian show available.

Only ‘Now I’m Here’ is missing

Cole Fieldhouse, College Park, Maryland  February 4th  Attendance: 14,000    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK2-v5UI7y0  incomplete Grade:  C+
Their last university arena performance, now just down the road from me. 
I paid $20 for this subpar incomplete show over twenty years ago……

If you care to recreate one of these evenings, here's the Thin Lizzy concert from February 6th. 
 https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=thin+lizzy+nassau+coliseum+live+1977

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtchHDR9npQW8qRqnyYc4-g-iK_B3lnhK  Nassau Coliseum

Madison Square Garden, New York City, February 5th, Attendance 20,000  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txp3u1aOslw&t=121s   Grade: B
( the taped intro, TYMD and most of ‘Ogre Battle’ are missing).  Freddie’s introduction speech and ‘listen to me my darlings’ before ‘White Queen’ are included (so one can use the beginning of another concert to this point) 

This is an important show in Queen history for two reasons. For starters, this is their first performance at Madison Square Garden.  Just three years earlier, after five shows in five nights at The Uris Theater opening for Mott, Brian became seriously ill.   

The crowd is responsive during the intro, STL, BoRhap and claps along during the ending medley 

Thin Lizzy - Live in Boston (February 9th, 1977) - Source 2 (NEW)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAGp2imu52c   
. Around 20 minutes of the show (everything up to the drum solo during Sha-La-La) can now be heard for the first time as Source 1, taped by the one who recorded what we have of Queen's set, is heavily incomplete (but does include the last 2 songs in full). The recording is decent, but quite distant.

0:00 - Still In Love With You (CUT) 0:14 - Johnny The Fox Meets Jimmy The Weed (CUT) 0:30 - The Boys Are Back In Town 5:53 - Cowboy Song 12:01 - Warriors 16:42 - Sha-La-La (20:49 - Drum Solo) 24:04 - Baby Drives Me Crazy (CUT)

Boston Garden, Boston, MA  February 9th  Attendance: 15,900   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy-XT1gNcFE&t=3987s  Grade A-  

One can hear the stereo in vocals during 'Somebody To Love' and the guitar solo.  It is incomplete from “Liar onwards’  (bad performance by Freddie? I didn’t think so).

I have made comments in my reviews of the Universal 2011 bonus disc reissues, as to what could have been included.  For ADATR, I mentioned that there are numerous ’77 and ’78 live recordings available of ‘Somebody To Love’ that could have been included in place of the ’82 Milton Keynes version.  Their performance this night would have been in the running.  From the taped intro of ‘Tie Your Mother Down’ onwards, this is a fabulous show.  And it's a damn good crowd! :tup

LA Forum, Inglewood, California,  March 3rd,  Attendance: 18,000  second show   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8t7_F_65A0&t=1788s  Quality: A+
(minus the intro and fades in during TYMD) Made available less than two years ago.  The cream of the crop from this tour.

Seattle Center Arena Seattle, March 13th, 1977 Attendance: 8,000    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Z2Tk2y_14&t=77s    Quality: A-

It is only missing GSTQ (which I borrowed from a European concert to make complete)  The only concert of the N.A. Tour I had for about eight years.  No complaints.  I do not have MEGA, but Tim mentioned this link which includes the Thin Lizzy show as well

https://mega.nz/file/gt4HUBYL#UXfptXG_tzxsXm_Q4d_P0jvgS3cxR2WqCjMDlv0FD_0       Thank you, sir!  :tup

First available Canada recording
Pacific Coliseum Vancouver, March 11th    Attendance: 17,500   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd0SUashln8&t=54s   Quality: B-

The beginning is missing up to Killer Queen.

I'll post a short European leg some time tonight, including their legendary Earl's Court concert.  And then I'll have 'Raise The Knife' and 'Unfinished Sweet' running through my head for tomorrow :sad:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 06:31:58 AM by DragonAttack »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: QUEEN discography-A Day At The Races NORTH AMERICAN tour
« Reply #340 on: April 10, 2022, 12:33:22 PM »
Yay, back on tour!!!!

I spent the last week listening to the LA, Boston and Seattle shows. 

Been enjoying them very much.

Some observervations about the shows..

I can do without The Millionaires Waltz, especially as it stops Killer Queen in its tracks.

Nice to Bohemian Rhapsody played as itself, instead of the cut/paste job on the previous tour.

Freddie plays some mean piano. But his piano has such a great sound mixed with the rest of the band.

White Man comes across much stronger than on the album for some reason. Still don't love it.

You Take My Breath Away is AMAZING! Freddie and his piano. No goofy intros or outros. Amazing.

'39 is really nice!

And in case anyone skimmed Joe's post, GARY MOORE sits in with Thin Lizzy on this leg!!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #341 on: April 10, 2022, 12:37:03 PM »

Tickets at Sears!!!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #342 on: April 10, 2022, 04:06:06 PM »
DragonAttack, I just want to say Thanks for this amazing discography.  I haven't commented a lot, usually because I'm left speechless by all the info being absorbed.  I love a good chronological deep dive into a band's history.  I want the dirt, all the dirt.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #343 on: April 10, 2022, 04:26:13 PM »
DragonAttack, I just want to say Thanks for this amazing discography.  I haven't commented a lot, usually because I'm left speechless by all the info being absorbed.  I love a good chronological deep dive into a band's history.  I want the dirt, all the dirt.

Amen, brother! As I also enjoyed your Jethro Tull thread.

I really wish more people would take advantage of these discography threads.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #344 on: April 10, 2022, 04:35:41 PM »

Tickets at Sears!!!!!

Ay yes, the good old days of lining up outside department stores to buy your concert tickets.  :coolio

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #345 on: April 10, 2022, 06:14:54 PM »

Tickets at Sears!!!!!

Ay yes, the good old days of lining up outside department stores to buy your concert tickets.  :coolio

Hey, now you're dating yourself. :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #346 on: April 10, 2022, 07:50:26 PM »

Tickets at Sears!!!!!

It's legal in several states now.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #347 on: April 10, 2022, 07:51:40 PM »
No reason anyone should be alone, besides...being alone.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #348 on: April 10, 2022, 11:37:02 PM »

Tickets at Sears!!!!!

:lol

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #349 on: April 10, 2022, 11:43:37 PM »

Tickets at Sears!!!!!

It's legal in several states now.

Too funny, but probably true.  :lol