Author Topic: QUEEN Discography- MONTREAL '81 in theaters near you  (Read 70381 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: QUEEN discography-Queenmania in Japan
« Reply #175 on: March 13, 2022, 03:57:19 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: QUEEN discography-SHEER HEART ATTACK and tour
« Reply #176 on: March 13, 2022, 04:00:42 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbzZex_m   This short video includes their arrival in Japan, press conference, and welcome picnic during the first eight minutes. 

Joe, the link doesn't work...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: QUEEN discography
« Reply #177 on: March 13, 2022, 04:46:56 PM »
Wow, that Van Halen cover was interesting.

Who'd of ever thought that Dave could do justice to Freddie Mercury?  I mean, he's still Dave, but that could have been a LOT worse than it was.  Honestly, the weakest part for me was the bass; it sounded like noodling underneath the guitars and drums.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: QUEEN discography
« Reply #178 on: March 13, 2022, 04:56:52 PM »
Wow, that Van Halen cover was interesting.

Who'd of ever thought that Dave could do justice to Freddie Mercury?  I mean, he's still Dave, but that could have been a LOT worse than it was.  Honestly, the weakest part for me was the bass; it sounded like noodling underneath the guitars and drums.

What made Dave great was that he was a great vocalist, and by vocalist, I don't mean singer. He was quite talented in making his voice do a number of different things and styles.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: March 13, 2022, 06:25:09 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbzZex_m   This short video includes their arrival in Japan, press conference, and welcome picnic during the first eight minutes. 

Joe, the link doesn't work...

Try this one   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3bzZex_6m8  The title is  "Queen - Live in Tokyo (May 1st, 1975) - 16mm Film" .  The same thing happened Friday.  The same person is posting, so maybe its a 'cat and mouse' game.  Thank you for letting me know.

VH covering Queen:  Yeah, I thought Dave did OK.  It's such a horrible mix, as Michael's BVs are barely audible. Then again, I think that's part of the charm. I can also envision some anxious parents that night, worrying about what their little Betty Lou might be doing during and after that dance if Dave was around!

As to Roger's big pay day:  Tim, I'm curious if you have a sister named Pam?  This instantly popped into my head (with a double bonus... :D)
"His sister Pam works in a shop
She never stops, she's a go-getter
Takes him out to look at the queen
Only place that he's ever been
Always shouts out something obscene
Such a dirty old man
Dirty old man"

[EDITED with the added lyrics at the end as originally intended :facepalm:]
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 07:45:31 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #180 on: March 13, 2022, 06:32:34 PM »

And then one of my all time highlights: starting at 19:15, this is how one should film any song in concert, namely 'In the Lap of the Gods….Revisited’.  There are only occasional camera angle changes, you can see the whole band (Roger disappears at times during the Spinal Tap fog :D)), and just how the lights affect one's viewing pleasure.  No squirrel in the director's truck changing the cameras every five seconds.  No stupid shots of the fans (who pays to go and see them?) but you can see some of them raising their arms in the air at times. It let's the viewer choose who and what to look at. 

Yes, the other link worked, and hell yes that is fantastic footage. Not sure how Roger could breathe.

That shot you mentioned has a bootleg quality to it. I have always been captivated by bootleg videos. They really represent how a concert actually looks. Never really been a fan of pro shot shows.

I'm sorry, I don't get the Pam reference. :)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: March 13, 2022, 06:51:35 PM »
I highlighted the lyrics and used the 'insert image' tab instead of the 'italics' one.  Fixed it.  Glad you got the reference without them :tup
(twelve hours off and on scanning and copying and entering checks and futzing with spreadsheets on a Sunday does that to a guy....)

As to the concert footage:  occasional changes in camera shots are OK, such as the Tokyo one.  Then you get DT's 'Fourth Wall' and 'Luna Park'.  I have to stop watching after one song.  The constant switching makes me angry, distracts the hell out of me, exhaust me, and they give me headaches.  As to generally hiring the upper echelon for sound and lighting as Queen would do, they should have hired the individual who did the Tokyo film for the rest of their career.  As other bands should have. 

Oh, and maybe Roger ducked out for a minute when the clouds were billowing so high, and got himself a little 'pay day' ;)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 07:46:34 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #182 on: March 13, 2022, 08:05:28 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqpJK1TfLns&t=1095s  starting at 16:35, Nonny Holder first talks of where he bought his iconic hat, who it was from, then goes on to the audience participation bit.  Tim, I think you'll like the whole interview

Noddy Holder is a fucking legend. Great link talking about Freddie. And you know I found the timestamp for the Phil Lynott comments.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: March 13, 2022, 10:04:23 PM »
I don’t get the reference either but the lyrics are The Beatles “Polythene Pam Mean Mr. Mustard”.

(Brain hiccup and fast typing leads to mistakes!)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 08:59:22 AM by Stadler »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #184 on: March 14, 2022, 09:23:31 AM »
I don’t get the reference either but the lyrics are The Beatles “Polythene Pam Mean Mr. Mustard”.

(Brain hiccup and fast typing leads to mistakes!)

That’s ok. I’m not familiar with either.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: March 14, 2022, 12:38:03 PM »
Tim, wait a second....you're familiar with Slade and Noddy but not The Beatles and 'Abbey Road'?  Shame!  Shame! :D

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: March 16, 2022, 06:04:18 PM »
Bohemian Rhapsody (b/w I'm In Love With My Car)

Released:  October 31, 1975, UK (EMI), USA (Elektra)

Charts: UK #1 for 9 weeks (#1 again in ’91, #45 in 2018), USA #6 (#2 in ’91, #33 in 2018)...
#1 in Australia, Belgium, Canada, Netherlands, New Zealand. 
#2 South Africa, #4 Norway, Spain, Switzerland, #7 West Germany

1991:
UK #1, Ireland #1, USA #2

1992:
Netherlands #1, US Cash Box #1...Billboard #2, Denmark #3, Europe #3, Australia #5, Belgium #6, Austria #8, Switzerland #8, France #15, Germany #16,
New Zealand #16, Finland #17, Canada #18

2018-19:
Czech Republic #1, US Hot Rock & Alternative Songs (Billboard) #2, Belgium #3, France #3, Hungary #3, Lithuania #4, Slovakia #5, Canada #6, Greece #8,
Malaysia #8, Italy #10, Japan #11, Colombia #12, New Zealand #20, France #21, Portugal #21, Switzerland #21, Singapore #24, Netherlands #26, Spain #26,
France #27, Austria #30, Sweden #33, US Billboard #33, UK #45,

Chart (2020–2022)   
Global 200 (Billboard) #97

Certifications: 3x Platinum in UK, Gold in USA (physical sales), 10x Platinum in digital sales
Gold in Germany and Japan
Platinum in Greece
2x Platinum in Denmark and New Zealand
3x Platinum in Portugal and Spain
4x Platinum in Italy
7x Platinum in Canada
8x Platinum in Australia

The classic video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ9rUzIMcZQ  Approximately  1.5 BILLION views!!!

The first picture sleeve in the UK for any of their singles.

Freddie Mercury – lead and backing vocals, piano, operatic vocals (middle register)
Brian May – electric guitar, operatic vocals (low register)
Roger Taylor – drums, timpani, gong, operatic vocals (high register)
John Deacon – bass guitar

The story behind the song: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohemian_Rhapsody
In December 2018, it became the most streamed song from the 20th century, and it had been downloaded or streamed over 1.6 billion times.

Roger received half the royalties for having ‘Car’ on the B-side.  Writing credits were always given to the person penning the lyrics.  It would be many years before this would be changed.

The first person to play 'Bohemian Rhapsody' on the radio was Kenny Everett on Capital Radio. Given a tape, he played it fourteen times in two days and was in many ways responsible for its success.  Due to the overwhelming public requests, this convinced EMI and Elektra to release the full version as a single.
(My Mom bought me a small crystal needle turntable for Christmas of ’75 to go with my AM/FM 8 track player.  The 45 was already in place.  I have that vinyl framed and hanging in my study. The first time my wife heard 'Bohemian Rhapsody' was at Heathrow Airport arriving on a college field trip.  And later on in various restaurants.  And in taxis.  She was hooked.  The first thing she did upon coming home was buy the 45, followed by purchasing the four released albums.)

As to videos, I would be remiss by not including the following:
‘Wayne’s World’ MTV video version   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfXJA8XrRGM
‘Wayne’s World’ movie segment   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thyJOnasHVE 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 01:20:50 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: QUEEN discography-Bohemian Rhapsody
« Reply #187 on: March 16, 2022, 06:51:08 PM »
I'll check this song out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #188 on: March 16, 2022, 06:52:35 PM »
Nah, it's almost six minutes. That is too long.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #189 on: March 16, 2022, 06:55:31 PM »

I pity your wife if you think 6 minutes is too long. I’ll also have to take it that 2112 and Hemispheres can’t be high on your Rush rankings then.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #190 on: March 16, 2022, 06:57:03 PM »

I pity your wife if you think 6 minutes is too long. I’ll also have to take it that 2112 and Hemispheres can’t be high on your Rush rankings then.

Kev ain't married, but you might be on to the reason why. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #191 on: March 16, 2022, 06:59:20 PM »
I think my sarcasm flew over someone's head.

But I get yours, Tim. :P

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #192 on: March 16, 2022, 07:02:14 PM »
I think my sarcasm flew over someone's head.

But I get yours, Tim. :P

Yeah, not where I usually go, but it was right there. :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: March 16, 2022, 08:40:48 PM »

And 'Hey Jude' was over seven.  Some times the Queen myth makers get a bit full of themselves.  Just as BoRhap was the first video :facepalm:

I think Kev rated 'A View From The Top Of The World' pretty high, so he's safe in that regards.

And, Tim, I do hope you give this song a listen.   :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #194 on: March 17, 2022, 03:01:35 PM »

Alright. Just gave it a spin, hey, that's pretty good. ;D

I do have a question on it though. Where did these lyrics come from. Did this person who "just killed a man" actually exist in the news, or did Freddie come up with a character?

Also, what about putting this arrangement together. What was the blueprint? I thought March Of The Black Queen was a definite precursor to Bohemian Rhapsody. Bohemian Rhapsody really stands out, obviously, and I have always wondered about its origins.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #195 on: March 17, 2022, 04:29:33 PM »
"I'm in Love with My Car" is a great song.  I think it's freakin' awesome.  I've never quite figured out the ratio of tongue-in-cheek to "serious", but it cracks me up.  In a good way.  Dude's in love with his car.  Ain't nothin' wrong with that.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #196 on: March 18, 2022, 12:29:53 AM »
Roger singing lead vocals and drumming at the same time for live performances of the song is also something I'll never get tired of enjoying. :metal

Greetings...
Nef

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: March 18, 2022, 05:20:34 AM »
ZZZZzzzz.... huh, what? I'm in Love with My Car? Great! So where talking about Night at the Opera now?

I remember sitting in my parents front room. I think I was reading Rich Man, Poor Man, when the radio started to play greatest vocal har.... zzzzzZZZZ
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: March 18, 2022, 09:24:34 AM »
"I'm in Love with My Car" is a great song.  I think it's freakin' awesome.  I've never quite figured out the ratio of tongue-in-cheek to "serious", but it cracks me up.  In a good way.  Dude's in love with his car.  Ain't nothin' wrong with that.

It was the perfect B side for the uninitiated, and no doubt inspired by the John Bonham penned 'Trampled Underfoot' released earlier that year.

Alright. Just gave it a spin, hey, that's pretty good. ;D

I do have a question on it though. Where did these lyrics come from. Did this person who "just killed a man" actually exist in the news, or did Freddie come up with a character?

Also, what about putting this arrangement together. What was the blueprint? I thought March Of The Black Queen was a definite precursor to Bohemian Rhapsody. Bohemian Rhapsody really stands out, obviously, and I have always wondered about its origins.

People have wondered for decades.  Here's a link as to what Brian and others know about 'The Cowboy Song'  https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/queen-bohemian-rhapsody-song-history/

Others have surmised that it was Freddie privately outing himself to friends, and secretly outing himself to the public. The gun being pointed at his own head, paying the price for all the repercussions that would follow.  And then just going with the flow, and putting up with whatever happens.  'Cie la vie', 'que sera sera' as only Freddie could pen it.  If you go back to the lyrics of 'In The Lap Of The Gods' as well as '....Revisited', 'It's so easy, but I can't do it.  So risky, but I gotta chance it.  So funny, but there's nothing to laugh about.....' one can certainly how they tie in together.  It also coincided with his 'physical' break up with long time girlfriend Mary Austin, though they would remain the closest of friends for the remainder of his life. 

BoRhap spoke to me at the time.  First of all, Queen had become my favorite band.  But, as a HS senior who would have almost straight A's, perfect attendance since 2nd grade, all conference in baseball, but that wasn't good enough for a verbally abusive drunk of an old man....and spent more time around the house because of a break up of my own after one year.  Yeah, I actually did put a rifle up against my head earlier that fall while hunting.  Nothing really did seem to matter at that time.....

I promise to list ANATO before going to see Alice Cooper over the weekend.  Depending on which way the wind blows.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 02:51:09 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: March 18, 2022, 03:03:27 PM »
as to the fun and fond memories of the song….seeing it performed live by the original band six times, the various live taped versions, as well as with Paul Rodgers at the Meadowlands in 06 (the first arena performance by Brian and Roger together in the States since ’82), in DC a few years later, and with Adam Lambert three times.  I’ll never forget how much MSG shook after the taped operatic section. 

Of seeing the video for the first time on 'The Midnight Special' and being totally blown away!  And making sure I was home in time for those 1AM shows so that I wouldn't miss seeing it again.

My ex would organize ‘scavenger hunts’….I’d stay home and cook while others went out and took pictures of themselves at various places.  A couple of times we did ‘video quests’.  Those I went on. The best was a female friend having a jeweler use a ring size fitter to demonstrate how to use a condom.

For a movie part of the quest, our team (of course) did the headbanging part from ‘Wayne’s World’.  Going to Tiger Stadium for a home opener in ’92, four of us were on US12 in Metro Detroit. BoRhap comes on WRIF-FM, we all start headbanging during the appropriate part….as well as all the occupants in the car in the next lane. 

Finally, at my wife's retirement dinner, the karaoke version was played, while some of her fellow teachers mimed as the 'choir'.  The one who sang the part of Mary Magdalene in a local performance of JC Superstar totally nailed the LVs.  They also brought in a guitar for me to play lead 'air'.   :D

some ‘alternate’ versions of Bohemian Rhapsody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epjWt5FpYco  Brian's lead guitar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VwjV2iBANc  minus the lead guitar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLnBh3ajbso    piano and vocals only
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNwAjjYNOcA  semi demo piano and vocals only
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfKm_OZO1jI  outtakes... a mix of various sources
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52-RAKDAQO0  A 'pretend' presentation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1QiJ3mTDew  no lead guitar or lead vocals

the one hour documentary of the making of 'Bohemian Rhapsody' (some day I'm going to sit down and watch it)

up tomorrow:  the first of the two Marx Brothers albums
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 06:07:18 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #200 on: March 18, 2022, 06:31:44 PM »
some ‘alternate’ versions of Bohemian Rhapsody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epjWt5FpYco  Brian's lead guitar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VwjV2iBANc  minus the lead guitar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLnBh3ajbso    piano and vocals only
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNwAjjYNOcA  semi demo piano and vocals only
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfKm_OZO1jI  outtakes... a mix of various sources
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52-RAKDAQO0  A 'pretend' presentation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1QiJ3mTDew  no lead guitar or lead vocals

I think you forgot the one when Roger broke a drumstick in the second verse,
or the one when Brian's hair got in his face during the solo.
 ;D

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: March 18, 2022, 08:15:44 PM »
There are a few where Brian is using a regular guitar pick and not a six pence (just kidding). 

After the 2011 reissues, and in searching for demos, I do often come across fan made 'remakes' with various instruments or vocals removed.  Some are quite good.  Some I quite like as it gives highlights to the somewhat 'bare bones', as well as an appreciation for what is missing.  I made sure I saved the links for those that I found appealing, as well as for listening variety after all these years.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #202 on: March 18, 2022, 08:18:20 PM »
There are a few where Brian is using a regular guitar pick and not a six pence (just kidding). 

After the 2011 reissues, and in searching for demos, I do often come across fan made 'remakes' with various instruments or vocals removed.  Some are quite good.  Some I quite like as it gives highlights to the somewhat 'bare bones', as well as an appreciation for what is missing.  I made sure I saved the links for those that I found appealing, as well as for listening variety after all these years.

I'm sure you could spend a month going down youtube rabbit holes on variations of Bohemian Rhapsody.

What position did you play in baseball?

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: March 18, 2022, 08:23:57 PM »
I was the MVP (most versatile player), but mostly SS, CF, and LF  along with 2B and a few very scary times at 3B.

Oh, and the rabbit hole extended to all Queen songs, not just BoRhap.  Ok, before heading to see Alice, I gotta do my promised post soon. 

[EDIT] A last comment on BoRhap:  after 'Wayne's World', even *I* got sick of it for a while. Walk into someone's office, there's BoRhap playing.  Hop in the car, it's on the radio.  Click.  Turn on the TV, there's the video.  Click.  So I understand why some rate a certain DT and Rush and Queensryche song low or not at all. [insert any band and their biggest hit]. Eventually, I would hope, those feelings would pass.  I just listened to ANATO a half dozen times over the past week, and I enjoyed it just as much as all those years ago (one of the joys of having to drive for in person meetings).  That being said......
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 06:20:38 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: March 19, 2022, 06:02:09 AM »
A NIGHT AT THE OPERA

Released:UK, November 21, 1975 (EMI), USA, December 2, 1975 (Elektra)

Charts: UK #1 for four weeks (charted 44 weeks, again in ’77 and ’84); USA #4 (47 weeks, again in ’77 and 2018)
Australia #1, Netherlands #1, New Zealand #1, Canada #2, Norway #4, West Germany #5,Austria #9, Japan #9;  Sweden #10, France #16.

2007  Portugal #23

2012  Spain #55

2018-19  Italy #33, USA #41, Belgium #59, Switzerland #69, Ireland #86

Certifications: Platinum in UK, 3x Platinum in USA
Gold in Austria, Denmark and Finland.
Platinum in Argentina, Canada, West Germany, Italy, and Japan
2x Platinum in Poland

Singles:
‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ / ‘I’m In Love With My Car’ (already mentioned)

‘You’re My Best Friend’ / ‘’39   UK, March 3, 1976 (#7) Certified Gold; USA, May 22, 1976 (#16) Certified Platinum. Canada #2, Ireland #3, Netherlands #6, Belgium #27, Australia #35

In the UK, after the release of 'A Night at the Opera', 'Queen I' charted for the third time, for twelve weeks, reaching #24.  'Queen II' charted for the fourth time, for 13 weeks, reaching #23. 'Sheer Heart Attack' recharted for 19 weeks, reaching #12

Cast
Freddie Mercury: vocals, vocals, Bechstein Debauchery and more vocals.
Brian May: guitars and orchestral backdrops.
Roger Taylor: percussion.
John Deacon: electric bass.

Produced by Roy Thomas Baker and Queen
Engineered by Mike Stone

No Synthesisers!

Recorded: August - November 1975 at Sarm Studios, Olympic Studios, Scorpio Studios, Lansdowne Studios, Roundhouse Studios, London; Rockfield Studios, Monmouth. (God Save The Queen recorded July - October 1974 at Wessex Studios.)

SIDE ONE
Death on Two Legs (Dedicated to...) (Mercury)  3:43
Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon (Mercury)  1:08
I'm in Love with My Car (Taylor)  3:05
You're My Best Friend   (Deacon)   2:50
'39 (May)  3:30
Sweet Lady  (4:01)
Seaside Rendezvous (Mercury)  2:13

SIDE TWO
The Prophet's Song (May)  8:21
Love of My Life (Mercury)  3:38
Good Company (May)  3:26
Bohemian Rhapsody (Mercury)  5:55
God Save the Queen (traditional, arr. May)  1:11

2011 Universal bonus disc
Keep Yourself Alive (long-lost retake, July 1975) /   Bohemian Rhapsody (operatic section a cappella mix) /   You're My Best Friend (isolated backing track mix) /    I'm In Love With My Car (guitar & vocal mix) / '39 (live version, Earl’s Court, June 1977) / Love Of My Life (live single edit, 1979)
Fair bonus offerings, as there wasn’t much available as to demo tapes of the songs at full length. Backing tapes of ‘People of the Earth’ and the demo of ‘Sweet Lady’ could have been used.  I certainly would have included any number of ’77 live versions of ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ in its complete form, along with ‘Sweet Lady’.   The ‘Keep Yourself Alive’ version was to be for the 1975 summer release, but another version was used.  That release also included ‘Lily of the Valley’ and the original 1974 studio version of ‘God Save The Queen’.

From the colorized band logo on the sleeve (created by Freddie), to the elegant font of the lyrics on the inner gate sleeve, to the music itself, this is a work of pop music art. From the piano fade in to ending notes of the royal anthem, this is as eclectic of an album that one could expect, even after their prior two albums.  Rock, vaudeville, burlesque, jazz, pop...you name it, it's hear.  Even a harp (the only tie in to The Marx Brothers movie that I could find).  Brian and Roger get their chances at LVs again as changes of pace.  Both shine equally in those roles as well as on various strings and percussion.  John's subtle bass is consistent as always, and his second writing credit goes gold.  Side One is for fun, Side Two is hard to top.  And that's before 'Bohemian Rhapsody'!  Before getting too wordy, I'll just refer you to  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Night_at_the_Opera_(Queen_album)

‘A Night at the Opera’ once again used 'Sgt. Pepper' and 'The White Album' as a blueprint as to having little to no time between songs.  As for me, all those years of seeing various musicians of all genres on Ed Sullivan, Carol Burnett, Johnny Carson et al certainly allowed me to enjoy this eclectic offering, as did my new turntable and decent set of head phones.

Oddities:  On the official cassettes, ’Seaside Rendevous’ and ‘Good Company’ were switched ( ???)  Also, since Queen had changed record companies from Elektra to Capitol Records in the 80s on this side of the pond, the only way to purchase the first seven albums on CDs was to order them via imports (which I did).  The original EMI CD had the ending piccolo from ‘Good Company’ as the start of ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’, causing some to wonder if that was the original intent all along.  Just sloppy editing (as would happen too often with their 'quality' control).

Oh, and this album also manages to find its way onto their 'Mount Rushmore' of album releases.  ;)

« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 09:38:11 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography-A NIGHT AT THE OPERA
« Reply #205 on: March 19, 2022, 06:18:24 AM »
Great album and easily Mrs. P and me's favorite road trip album (followed closely by Dark Side of the Moon). I love the entire presentation, but highlights for me are: Death on Two Legs, Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon, '39, Seaside Rendezvous, The Prophet Song, Good Company, and Bohemian Rhapsody. A seminal record in my musical life that never gets old.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #206 on: March 19, 2022, 02:33:04 PM »
My first Queen album, and still my favorite.  The mid-70's was my musical awakening, this album was a huge part of it.  I was already getting into prog, and hearing the fusion of all the different styles with rock and roll was really mind-blowing.  I can play this one end to end on repeat, and have done so a few times.

Also, I can't be the only person who heard "Bohemian Rhapsody" on the radio -- with the operatic middle section -- and thought maybe A Night at the Opera was all like that.  Maybe there's not a lot of us, but it wasn't that big of a stretch.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: March 19, 2022, 03:31:44 PM »
Now, bear in mind that it's a great album, maybe top four Queen albums, but... overrated.   Bohemian Rhapsody is Queen's Stairway, or Freebird, Love Of My Life is just gorgeous, and The Prophet's Song is unbelievable on every level (that well may be Queen's best album side, right there), but there's a lot of fluff on this record.  Death On Two Legs doesn't do much for me, and while "Car" and "'39" are excellent, they are sandwiched between songs that to me don't fit and disrupt the flow.

I love it, I have it on 5.1 (and it's excellent) but this isn't Sgt. Pepper or Abbey Road, IMO.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #208 on: March 19, 2022, 04:48:44 PM »
Listening now...

Spotify numbers...

Death On Two Legs.... 42.1m
Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon... 28.8m
I'm In Love With My Car... 17.2m
You're My Best Friend... 222.3m
'39... 50.5m
Sweet Lady... 8.3m
Seaside Rendezvous... 13.2m
The Prophet's Song... 10.6m
Love Of My Life... 309.9m
Good Company... 8.7m
Bohemian Phapsody... 1.7B
God Save The Queen... 10.7m

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: March 19, 2022, 05:02:05 PM »
I got this CD right before I had my wisdom teeth pulled, which was also right before the Freddy tribute concert. Listened to this a ton while I was doped up and sore. EVentually only listened to Death on Two Legs and the Prophets Song. I could hear BR all the time on the radio, and nothing else held my interest after that first binge period.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'