Author Topic: QUEEN Discography- MONTREAL '81 in theaters near you  (Read 70582 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: QUEEN Discography - MADE IN HEAVEN .. their final studio album
« Reply #1295 on: October 24, 2022, 09:10:33 AM »
It's always a tough call when the band loses its lead singer.  To me, Queen was the inimitable combination of Freddie's voice and Brian's guitars.  Without both, it's not what I'm looking for when I want to listen to Queen.  Same as Journey without Steve Perry or Yes without Jon Anderson.  The band still exists, they want to keep making music, and it certainly helps that they have the legal right to use the name.  So they continue.  But is it the same band?  To some, the band is/was a specific set of individuals; to others, the band is whatever name it says on the cover.

Queen + Paul Rodgers circumvents that argument by acknowledging that it's Queen but with a new lead vocalist.  I had assumed that DragonAttack was going to get to them eventually, since he's been very thorough with side projects and solo albums involving anyone in the band.  But I agree that Made in Heaven was the last studio album by Queen.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1296 on: October 24, 2022, 09:17:38 AM »
Let's also keep in mind that the vast majority of these debates arise when a band carries on after a lineup change.

With Queen, it's not that Freddie left. He died and the band was shocked like the rest of their fans and was unsure of what to do. It took forever for them to finally be confident to get back on stage again. So the divide between Queen with Freddie and "Queen many years after Freddie's death finally find a way to go on the road again" is even greater than your average "classic singer leaves the band" situation.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1297 on: October 24, 2022, 05:15:31 PM »
It's always a tough call when the band loses its lead singer.  To me, Queen was the inimitable combination of Freddie's voice and Brian's guitars.  Without both, it's not what I'm looking for when I want to listen to Queen.  Same as Journey without Steve Perry or Yes without Jon Anderson.  The band still exists, they want to keep making music, and it certainly helps that they have the legal right to use the name.  So they continue.  But is it the same band?  To some, the band is/was a specific set of individuals; to others, the band is whatever name it says on the cover.

Queen + Paul Rodgers circumvents that argument by acknowledging that it's Queen but with a new lead vocalist.  I had assumed that DragonAttack was going to get to them eventually, since he's been very thorough with side projects and solo albums involving anyone in the band.  But I agree that Made in Heaven was the last studio album by Queen.

Totally on board with the first paragraph, though I did hear both bands with different vocalists at concerts over the years, and they sounded darn good / similar enough that it all worked for me.  Not so as to studio efforts.

As to the highlighted section of the second paragraph, first 'thank you' for the compliment.  Second....no, I'm not going down the Queen +  rabbit hole (other than Hits III).  And,....absolutely no concertography!!!!  Perhaps listings of collaborations and tours and such over a five to ten year span, bunched into a single post on occasion to bump the thread.  Otherwise, I'd be here forever. :D :sad: 

Plus, a lot of it didn't interest me (though I enjoyed the concerts the original members of 'Smile' performed with Paul and Adam).  In fact, I think since this thread started, TAC has heard more songs by Brian with Kerry Ellis than I ever had before. :lol

Basically, the main crux of this ends with the Freddie box set release in 2000.

Meanwhile, I gave my edited version of 'Made In Heaven' another spin, this time in the dark while kicked back on the couch.  I get that opportunity about every 2-3 months nowadays.  Damn, it's still just as good as it was almost three decades ago. 

Thanks for yet another honest review, Tim. :tup

(I was tempted to listen to the entire 22 minute 'Track 13' version for a change, but five minutes is enough.  Plus, I don't get baked these days anymore either :lol)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1298 on: October 24, 2022, 07:33:19 PM »
I'm not going down the Queen +  rabbit hole (other than Hits III).

I'm honestly surprised.  I can't say that I'm disappointed or relieved or what, because it's not that big a deal to me, but I'd fully expected you to go down the rabbit hole.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1299 on: October 24, 2022, 07:34:08 PM »
Sounds like a challenge to me. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1300 on: October 25, 2022, 07:14:12 AM »

I'm honestly surprised.  I can't say that I'm disappointed or relieved or what, because it's not that big a deal to me, but I'd fully expected you to go down the rabbit hole.  :lol
I am also surprised, given all of the other "not Queen" stuff you have included.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1301 on: October 25, 2022, 01:35:44 PM »

I am also surprised, given all of the other "not Queen" stuff you have included.

And....  all related to 'Queen'.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm going to do recaps in 5-10 year bits of the 'post Freddie' era after his solo box set in 2000.  Shorter and less time consuming for me.  And, most of it is less interesting to me as stated earlier.  What I have been posting was at times over done history, but up to the end of the century, what Freddie, Brian, and Roger did solo was quite pertinent. 

And I had a very 'Queeniac' feeling and affiliation for all of those releases.

Roger branching off and touring with The Cross (because Freddie had told his mates that he could no longer tour), releasing solo albums (of which there were zero comments as to his 'Happiness' LP here on the forum)...but, damn was I happy for that release, and finally getting my hand onto those Cross LPs (even though they only make one good 'best of').  Then there was  Brian doing Stateside radio promos and the Seville concert in '91 a month before Freddie's passing....  his first time on stage with Cozy Powell on drums.

Brian has a killer lead guitar on a Soundgarden song for my next post.  Sadly....what his decisions (together with Roger) this century are worth 'recaps' and not posting individually, and I don't feel like wasting my time putting up all those youtube links for those tunes.  Why?  Because 90% of the songs suxx!!!  :tdwn

Unless anyone has done one of these (and I should have known having followed the Iron Maiden and UFO discography threads, and having leant a hand on the Jethro Tull thread), these are not easy.  Just cropping the album covers and doing the highlighting and links is incredibly time consuming.

So.....after ....

One Smile album
15 Queen studio albums
9 Queen live albums
1 Queen BBC live album (Golders Green '73)
6 Queen BBC studio sessions (one, two, or three total albums...depending on how one views things)
Six compilation albums (Queen GH I, GH II, Greatest Hits, Classic Queen, 12" Collection, Japanese 3" collection)
The ‘way too many it got to be boring’ 45 and CD and 12” singles.
Two Freddie solo LPs
Three Freddie compilations
Two Brian solo LPs
One Brian live LP
Brian with Anita Dobson
Three Roger solo LPs
Three Cross LPs
Five Freddie non album 45s (Love Kills, Time, In My Defence, The Great Pretender, Hold On)
Two soundtracks featuring Freddie songs ('Time' and 'Metropolis')
'Highlander' the movie and TV series
'The Hotel New Hampshire' mention (Keep Passing The Open Windows)

ooooops, let's not forget the video concerts

Hyde's Park, '75
Earl's Court '76
Houston '78
Hammersmith '79
South America '81
Japan '82
Rock In Rio '85
Japan '85
Live Aid '85
Knebworth '86
The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert '92

I did mention various work on studio LPs with Eddie Howell, Ian Hunter, Elton John, Billy Squier (three times), Roger Daltrey, Black Sabbath, Kansas, Elaine Page…etc etc

To me, that was all 'Queen'.  And, I probably missed one or two in my recap.

(and don’t forget ‘The Stonk’, you  :censored stonkers 😀)

Moving on.....  I'll have to mention Queen + Robbie Williams as to 'A Knight's Tale' (the first movie my wife and I watched together in a theater).   I'll have to mention 'Return of the Champions' and  'The Cosmos Rocks'.  And the  >:( :censored ing awful Queen + Five collaboration.

I'll do those in groups of 5-10 years (unless someone else cares to go more in depth with a 'QUEEN +' discography (three albums) and concertography ;))

Who else did what they did over that span, and reached so many people?  'Buehler?  Buehler?'

If I missed anything, my apologies.

If I went too much in depth...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zANvYB93u2g

I promise, I won't do it again.......

well...then again :lol

« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 08:54:46 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1302 on: October 25, 2022, 02:15:40 PM »
Whether you touch the Queen+ stuff or not (I know you said you would but not in depth), let me just say that you did a tremendous job.

As a more casual Queen fan I learned a lot of new things and very much enjoyed reading every posts, even if my contributions were few.

So thanks in advance for doing this.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1303 on: October 25, 2022, 02:34:16 PM »
I personally loved this. I didn't get to participate quite as much as I could have but that's not to say it wasn't enjoyable and something I looked forward to when I logged in each day.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1304 on: October 26, 2022, 02:38:03 AM »
Thank you for doing this, it's been great fun listening to the discography again, and discovering some rarities I'd never heard before, and learnt some interesting new facts. Well done!

Now is anyone ever going to continue that Zappa discography thread that died?
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1305 on: October 26, 2022, 07:03:02 AM »
I personally loved this. I didn't get to participate quite as much as I could have but that's not to say it wasn't enjoyable and something I looked forward to when I logged in each day.

Thank you for doing this, it's been great fun listening to the discography again, and discovering some rarities I'd never heard before, and learnt some interesting new facts. Well done!

You're both welcome.  I do know I was (still am?) getting lots of views throughout.  Still not finished, but I'm going to do most of the rest from 'a view from 20,000 feet' of the projects, rather than a 'continued thread on steroids' (borrowing a TAC phrase! :tup)

Now is anyone ever going to continue that Zappa discography thread that died?

I have a handful of his LPs in my collection, and I have to admit, that was one fun and great read!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 08:50:29 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN Discography - Brian with Soundgarden (and others) during the 90s
« Reply #1306 on: October 26, 2022, 07:08:13 AM »
BRIAN MAY appearances as guest, songwriter, or producer during the 90s

1994   Greenpeace – Alternative NRG   "New Damage" (with Soundgarden) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKG4O7lMYXY    I have to admit, when I heard this version on a bootleg disc in the late 90s with some of what's listed below, I finally dove into their catalogue, much to my enjoyment.

1995   In from the Storm (tribute to Jimi Hendrix]   "One Rainy Wish" (later released on the album Another World)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLYL3ZngcM8  (this is the ‘Another World’ version)

1996   Pinocchio: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack   "Il Colosso" (with Jerry Hadley, Sissel Kyrkjebø, 'Just William'), "What Are We Made Of?" (with Sissel Kyrkjebø)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlyCqpQrdMc

Brian and Sissel  ‘What Are We Made Of?’  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgPhgdrEOOg
I almost always envision Freddie doing Sissel’s parts.  Or….that Brian and Roger could have combined forces and made an album together, with occasional lead vocals from other artists.  One of his best solo offerings

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sissel_Kyrkjeb%C3%B8

1996   Twang! A Tribute to Hank Marvin & The Shadows   "FBI" (later released as a B-side of the single On My Way Up)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwiPXyY4anI 

1998   Lullabies with a Difference   "My Boy" (recorded in 1982)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko05EdayiSU   believe it or not, this was recorded during the ‘Hot Space Sessions’!  It was included on the 2022 reissue bonus disc of ‘Another World’.  Weird personal note:  I play it on certain anniversaries of two of my former dogs, both of whom were ‘my boys’…..

Other guest appearances
1990   Rock Against Repatriation   "Sailing"   Sailing   

1991   D-Rok   "Red Planet Blues", "Get Out of My Way"   Oblivion   

1992   Extreme   "Love of My Life"   Song for Love (for the Terence Higgins Trust)   

1992   Judie Tzuke   "I Can Read Books"   Wonderland   

1992   Phenomena   "A Whole Lot of Love" (recorded 1988)   Phenomena III: Inner Vision   

1992   Tony Martin   "If There Is a Heaven"   Back Where I Belong   

1992   Cozy Powell   "Somewhere in Time" (instrumental version of "Nothin' But Blue"], "Ride to Win"   The Drums Are Back   guitar (bass by John Deacon on "Somewhere in Time")  already mentioned

1992   Steve Hackett   "Don’t Fall Away From Me" (recorded 1986)   The Unauthorised Biography   

1993   Paul Rodgers   "I'm Ready"   Muddy Water Blues: A Tribute to Muddy Waters     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avngr1XrcHQ  (live version)

1993   Steve Hackett   "Cassandra" (recorded 1986)   Guitar Noir (bonus track)   

1993   The Left Handed Marriage   "Appointment", "She Was Once My Friend", "I Need Time" [recorded 1967]   Crazy Chain   guitar, backing vocals; I Need Time written by Bill Richards and May.  This was a band Brian was a member of in the 60s, in which the tapes made their way onto the market.

1994   Os Paralamas do Sucesso   "El Vampiro Bajo El Sol"   Severino   

1995   Jennifer Rush   "Who Wants to Live Forever"   Out of My Hands   vocals and guitar  Forever   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv8rZ5aOnuk
With few exceptions, I have an incredibly hard time listening to another vocalist on Queen covers.  This is one of them.  I will admit….she should have been the one performing this at the Tribute Concert.

1995   Gordon Giltrap   "Heartsong" [recorded 1993]   Music for the Small Screen   

1995   Carmine Appice   "Nobody Knew (Black White House)"   Carmine Appice's Guitar Zeus   …already mentioned

1995   S.O.L. (Stefan Zauner)   "Make My Dream Come True"   S.O.L. - Some Other Language   

1996   Status Quo   "Raining in My Heart"   Don't Stop   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut7me3IjXJM   I remember hearing this back in the late 90s, and thinking it would have been a perfect song for Brian to have covered with his vocals.  Lovely, syrupy song with that trademark Red Special lead guitar.

1996   Rock Therapy   "Reaching Out"   Reaching Out   (with Paul Rodgers)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8NTCKewGoI  a different version of this on tape would be the intro for a Queen + Paul Rodgers tour.

ROGER TAYLOR
1992   Shakin' Stevens   "Radio"   The Epic Years (album)   drums  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7ZM-7PoDEw

1997   SAS Band (Spike Edney's group)   "That's the Way God Planned It"   SAS Band (album)   drums, vocals https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEm-qNfrz10

JOHN DEACON  plays bass on the above listed song, as well as on Cozy Powell’s ‘Somewhere In Time’ (which became Brian’s ‘Nothin’ But Blue’, where he’s also credited)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 11:59:29 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1307 on: October 26, 2022, 07:34:13 AM »
1995   Jennifer Rush   "Who Wants to Live Forever"   Out of My Hands   vocals and guitar  Forever   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv8rZ5aOnuk
With few exceptions, I have an incredibly hard time listening to another vocalist on Queen covers.  This is one of them.  I will admit….she should have been the one performing this at the Tribute Concert.

As far as having issues with other vocalists covering Queen songs, I get that. It's really because Freddie was so strong. It's one of the reasons I feel the same when people try and sing a Dio song, or even a Dickinson Era Maiden song.

It really works if the covering vocalist is amazing in their own right, as this girl seems to be, but also you can't be afraid of tinkering with an arrangement either, as this does.
Plus, Brian's vocals are amazing and I think I commented a few times in the thread that the Brian sung Queen songs feel really genuine, even if the vocals weren't great. But you can tell that over the years, he really developed as a vocalist.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1308 on: October 26, 2022, 07:50:57 AM »
I went back to look and didn't see it, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there:

Brian May did the guitar solo on "When Death Calls" from Black Sabbath's Headless Cross album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1309 on: October 26, 2022, 07:54:18 AM »
It was here, Stads!

COZY POWELL

Quite the career!  Amongst the big names he drummed for were Jeff Beck for two albums, then had a few Top Twenty songs with his band 'Bedlam', before joining Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow from '76 to '80.  per https://www.last.fm/music/Cozy+Powell/+wiki   "in 1980, when Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham died, Cozy was considered by the band as a possible replacement for Bonham. The band decided against it and disbanded."   :o

Powell then performed with a number of major bands - Michael Schenker Group from 1981 to 1982, Whitesnake from 1982 to 1984, then with Keith Emerson, Greg Lake in 1986 and Gary Moore in 1989, then Black Sabbath intermittently from 1989 to 1991, and again from 1993 - 1995.

In '89, long time friend Tony Iommi asked Brian to play lead guitar on 'When Death Calls' from the 'Headless Cross' LP while both Cozy and bassist Neil Murray were members of Black Sabbath.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78YRHNQSR2s

At the GUITAR LEGENDS concert in Seville Spain on October 19, 1991, Cozy and Neil performed the entire show as the rhythm section (page 33 of this discography), with Brian performing 'Driven By You' on stage for the first time.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3G6M2sM8R8

Brian, Cozy, and Neil would perform together on a few albums, tour together as well, before Powell's tragic car accident in '98.

'Colin Flooks' and Brian

Between late 1992 and early 1993, Powell put together an occasional touring band using the old band name 'Cozy Powell's Hammer' featuring himself on drums, Neil Murray on bass, Mario Parga on guitar and Tony Martin on vocals and occasional rhythm guitar/synth module. The band performed throughout Europe and appeared on German television. Powell made headlines in 1991 when he appeared on the BBC children's programme 'Record Breakers', where he set a world record for the most drums (400) played in under one minute, live on television.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1310 on: October 26, 2022, 01:51:20 PM »
Hey, I wasn't bitching or complaining or anything.  It's your thread, do whatever you want.  You've done a great job, for sure.  I was just surprised, that's all.  Makes no difference to me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1311 on: October 26, 2022, 04:07:16 PM »
^
Yeah, … I know… and I’m sorry for my snippy retort. 

It did spur me on as a needed life distraction to spend a couple of hours on a Queen + Paul and + Adam set of posts. Amazing how much easier to do them without going into microscopic details (similar to the recent Brian, Roger, and John post).

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1312 on: October 27, 2022, 05:05:11 AM »

As far as having issues with other vocalists covering Queen songs, I get that. It's really because Freddie was so strong. It's one of the reasons I feel the same when people try and sing a Dio song, or even a Dickinson Era Maiden song.

It really works if the covering vocalist is amazing in their own right, as this girl seems to be, but also you can't be afraid of tinkering with an arrangement either, as this does.
Plus, Brian's vocals are amazing and I think I commented a few times in the thread that the Brian sung Queen songs feel really genuine, even if the vocals weren't great. But you can tell that over the years, he really developed as a vocalist.

His duet with Sissel on 'What Are We Made Of?' was certainly another.  Him and Roger could (should) have taken that type of approach later on.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN Discography - NO ONE BUT YOU 45...the last Queen song
« Reply #1313 on: October 27, 2022, 05:15:37 AM »
NO ONE BUT YOU  b/w Gimme The Prize (instrumental)

Released:  November 1997 (Europe, Japan, US),
Withdrawn by Parlophone in the UK, fans created an online petition to have the single released there. They succeeded (welcome to the internet age!)
Released: UK (Parlophone), January 5, 1998
(the withdrawn UK single originally had ‘Princes Of The Universe’ as the double A-side, used for European and Japanese releases, which would have been the smart thing to do.  But then, Freddie’s estate would have received more royalties, since the song is credited to him.  Hmmmmm……)

Charts:  UK #13
Netherlands #26, Germany #75

VIDEO  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLKyaOLb2Fs  13 MILLION Views

The original promo video, with no inserted footage, and just the three remaining members of the band (I much prefer this one)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8W7qkJvLFk

CD Single
1. No-One But You (Only The Good Die Young) - 4:13
2. Tie Your Mother Down (Single Version) - 3:44
3. We Will Rock You (Rick Rubin Remix) - 4:59
4. Gimme the Prize (Instrumental Remix for 'The Eye') - 4:01 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jRKT4NsE2U

This would mark the last time John Deacon would perform as a member of Queen.

Brian May finished writing this in ’97, after Queen reformed for a one-off appearance with Elton John in Paris. It was intended to be on his upcoming solo album Another World. I love this from wiki:  "He sent the demo of the song to Roger, who by his own account put it in a drawer and forgot about it. After eventually hearing it, Roger suggested that it could be turned into a Queen song." He also changed the tempo and had Brian make the lyrics less specific to Mercury.

As to one of the B-sides
I’d have preferred this version of ‘Gimme The Prize’, with vocals included, but much of the soundtrack voices removed   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7np_HRSd5U
No comments as to including the WWRY ruined by Rick Rubin version.  Certainly truth in advertising.

a live version of NOBY from 2002, which I watched and listened to for the first time this week
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcYLLRfesgs

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN Discography - QUEEN ROCKS LP
« Reply #1314 on: October 27, 2022, 05:37:56 AM »
QUEEN ROCKS LP

Released: November 3, 1997, UK (Parlophone), USA (Hollywood Records)

Charts:  UK #7, USA (DNC)
Germany #12, Netherlands #14, Austria #16, Switzerland #16, Scotland #17, New Zealand #32, Sweden #51

Certifications: Platinum in UK
Gold in Australia and Japan

Singles: 
No-One But You (Only The Good Die Young)   b/w Gimme The Price (The eYe Instrumental Remix)
Released:  January 1998 (after fan petitions)
Charts:  UK #13, Netherlands #26, Germany #75

Queen are: John Deacon, Brian May, Freddie Mercury and Roger Taylor
'No-One But You' is of course another story

SIDE ONE
We Will Rock You (May) 2:01
Tie Your Mother Down (May) 3:45
I Want It All 4:30
Seven Seas Of Rhye (Mercury) 2:48
I Can't Live With You (1997 'Rocks' Retake) 4:47

SIDE TWO
Hammer To Fall (May)  4:25
Stone Cold Crazy   2:14
Now I'm Here (May)  4:13
Fat Bottomed Girls (May)  4:16
Keep Yourself Alive (May)  3:47

SIDE THREE
Tear It Up (May)   3:25
One Vision   5:10
Sheer Heart Attack (Taylor)   3:24
I'm In Love With My Car (Taylor)   3:11

SIDE FOUR
Put Out The Fire (May)  3:18
Headlong  4:38
It's Late (May)  6:26
No-One But You (Only the Good Die Young)   (May)  4:11

An obvious change from the phoenix and fairies and lions on the original crest for the cover art.  Nice gatefold with lyrics.  Thought it quite odd that no pictures of the band were included.  Music wise, one gets what the title says you'll get....a nice collection of the harder side of the band’s discography, with the one new song to finish.  Also, the complete album versions are used.

The retake of ‘I Can’t Live With You’ has a harder edge, with real drums and other minor changes, and is better than the original version on 'Innuendo' (agree with KevShmev’s earlier comment).  'I Want It All' combines the vocal intro on the 45 with the album version (I made a version like that for myself when the single was released in '89) and Brian's guitar solo is slightly different. Makes for a nice change for something different. 

The omission of ‘Princes Of The Universe’ was a bit of a head scratcher.  Since there were some remixed versions here, l wish they would have removed that 'nails on a blackboard' noise in 'Sheer Heart Attack'. ;)

For the newcomers, a nice introduction of the harder side of the band.  For those who already these songs, a couple of changes would have been preferred.  ‘The Hero’ original movie version from ‘Flash Gordon’ (not the one from the soundtrack) would have made a nice addition.  And a couple of BBC versions….. the  extended version of ‘Son And Daughter’ perhaps, and certainly  the fast version of ‘We Will Rock You’ (with a teaser saying ‘from the complete BBC Sessions coming soon….' (not twenty years later).  Or offered them as the B side of ‘No One But You’ or additional tracks on the CD single.

And perhaps, instead of the studio version of 'Now I'm Here', they could have included the live version on the 'Concert for Kampuchea' LP, again with the 'from the '79 Hammersmith concert, to be released in xxxx....', instead of never having officially released it. :sad:

'Stone Cold Crazy', 'It's Late', and 'Keep Yourself Alive' get their well deserved inclusion on a 'best of' compilation.

And 'Hey!',  I finally had 'Tie Your Mother Down' without the 'A Day at the Races' album intro  ;)

« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 06:53:38 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1315 on: October 27, 2022, 06:08:23 AM »
Queen Rocks is probably my favourite compilation of the band.  Plenty of my favourites and a good hard rocking album all up. I think the retake of I Can’t Live With You is a way better version, personally.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1316 on: October 27, 2022, 05:14:04 PM »
Queen Rocks is probably my favourite compilation of the band.  Plenty of my favourites and a good hard rocking album all up. I think the retake of I Can’t Live With You is a way better version, personally.

Mostly agree, because it wasn't just 'hits'.  I could rattle off a dozen songs that would have made a great addition to GH I. 

And the retake of I Can't Live With You did really rock ;)

Tomorrow:  a forgotten (by me) set of video releases, and a computer game (the video sucked, the music did not)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN Discography - The MAGIC YEARS
« Reply #1317 on: October 27, 2022, 06:16:07 PM »
THE MAGIC YEARS Vol 1,2,3 

Released:  1987

These three VHS offerings were made available in '87, with snipped performances of their early years on through their final concert at Knebworth in 1986.

http://www.ultimatequeen.co.uk/queen/videos/the-magic-years-volume-1.htm

More additional candy for my ever craving sweet tooth to indulge on at the time.  There’s more footage and concerts that have been officially released since then, so many bootleg concerts now on youtube, but back then this was part of what little was available.

I purchased these in the late 90s, and my memory made me think that's when they were released  :D   A nice collection that I remember also watching with the current Mrs. DA in 2002, and then selling off at a convention swap meet.

I went back and inserted it at the end of the Billy Squier ‘Enough Is Enough’ post on page 28 as well.

A breakdown of each video tape   https://www.rewatchclassictv.com/products/queen-magic-years-documentary

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN Discography - THE eYe
« Reply #1318 on: October 27, 2022, 06:24:30 PM »
THE eYe

Released:  April 3, 1998

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen:_The_eYe

Computer game on five discs, but more importantly, ...music...

Disc 1 - "The Arena Domain"
Data track (includes Arboria) - 22:22
Made in Heaven (loop) - 1:08
I Want It All (instrumental, remix) - 4:43
Dragon Attack (instrumental, remix) - 4:23
Fight From The Inside (instrumental) - 3:03
Hang On In There (intro) - 0:57
In The Lap of the Gods...Revisited (edit, vocals) - 0:32
Modern Times Rock'n'Roll (instrumental) - 1:44
More Of That Jazz (instrumental) - 4:30
We Will Rock You (commentary mix) - 0:58
Liar (intro) - 1:26
The Night Comes Down (intro) - 0:48
Party (instrumental) - 2:26 (not on the English version of the game)
Chinese Torture (usual version) - 1:44
I Want It All (instrumental, remix) - 4:53

Disc 2 - The Works Domain
Data track - 25:45
Mustapha (intro, vocals) - 0:26
Mother Love (instrumental) - 4:16
You Take My Breath Away (instrumental) - 3:15
One Vision (intro) - 0:32
Sweet Lady (edit, vocals) - 1:03
Was It All Worth It (instrumental, edit) - 1:57
Get Down, Make Love (instrumental, remix) - 3:49
Heaven For Everyone (instrumental) - 5:36
Hammer To Fall (instrumental) - 4:22
Tie Your Mother Down (intro) - 0:39
One Vision (instrumental, remix) - 2:27
It's Late (edit, vocals) - 1:08
Procession (usual version) - 1:14
Made in Heaven (instrumental, remix) - 5:24

Disc 3 - The Theatre Domain
Data track - 21:53
It's A Beautiful Day (remix) - 1:38
Don't Lose Your Head (instrumental) - 1:59
Princes Of The Universe (instrumental, remix) - 1:08
A Kind Of Magic (instrumental) - 4:25
Gimme The Prize (remix, vocals) - 4:03
Bring Back That Leroy Brown (edit, vocals) - 0:27
Ha Ha Ha, It's Magic! (vocal sample) - 0:06
You Don't Fool Me (instrumental) - 5:58
Let Me Entertain You (instrumental, intro) - 0:49
Khashoggi's Ship (instrumental) - 1:37
Forever (usual version) - 3:21
Don't Try So Hard (edit, vocals) - 1:35
Was It All Worth It (intro) - 0:37

Disc 4 - The Innuendo Domain
Data track - 25:40
Brighton Rock (intro) - 0:13
I'm Going Slightly Mad (instrumental) - 2:40
Bijou (instrumental, edit) - 1:27
Khashoggi's Ship (instrumental) - 1:37
The Show Must Go On (instrumental, remix) - 4:26
The Hitman (instrumental, edit) - 1:07
Too Much Love Will Kill You (edit, vocals) - 1:50
I Can't Live With You (instrumental, remix) - 4:40
Love Of My Life (harp intro only) - 0:04

Disc 5 - The Final Domain
Data track - 21:48
Death On Two Legs (intro) - 0:40
Death On Two Legs (instrumental) - 3:07
Ride The Wild Wind (instrumental, remix) - 4:45
Headlong (instrumental) - 4:53
Breakthru (instrumental) - 2:07
Hammer To Fall (instrumental) - 4:32
Gimme The Prize (instrumental, remix) - 4:12
The Hitman (instrumental, remix) - 2:40
Don't Lose Your Head (usual version) - 4:40
Gimme The Prize (vocals, remix) - 4:11

Had a friend who visited the UK at this time pick this one up for me.  One had to be extremely careful putting this into a CD player, as that loud buzz from the data tracks felt like it was 10x louder than the music, and would knock your socks off if your stereo volume was still up.

Lots of edits and mostly instrumental versions.  Those were quite enjoyable (Khashoggi’s Ship being one) with some slight changes at times in the mixing by Justin Shirley-Smith.    I especially enjoyed a couple of the ‘Gimme The Prize’ versions, as the spoken words from the soundtrack were removed.

Gained more of an appreciation of Freddie’s voice, especially when listening to ‘The Show Must Go On’ without him.

Our originals were sold long ago, with cdr copies of the audio.  Some decade I might listen to it again.

No idea about the video game.  I know my ex tried it, and showed me a few things, but quickly we both lost interest. Most said it stunk.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: QUEEN Discography - NO ONE BUT YOU 45...the last Queen song
« Reply #1319 on: October 27, 2022, 07:06:56 PM »
NO ONE BUT YOU 

Released:  November 1997 (Europe, Japan, US),

The original promo video, with no inserted footage, and just the three remaining members of the band (I much prefer this one)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8W7qkJvLFk

I have zero recollection of this. I'm not sure it would've made my radar anyway, but that's a nice song. The youtube comments mention John looking at the camera at 2:17, and man, that's haunting.

QUEEN ROCKS LP

Released: November 3, 1997, UK (Parlophone), USA (Hollywood Records)

So I obviously don't remember this, but it looks like such a random choice of tracks.

What I do remember was that I was aware that Hollywood Records took over the Queen catalog, and they tried to squeeze every nickel out of it.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1320 on: October 28, 2022, 10:13:46 AM »
Yeah, the 'No One But You' video just all seems kind of cold, from the black and white footage, to John rarely being shown and seemingly miles away physically and emotionally.  The last time the three are shown together, and the only post 'Made In Heaven' 'just' Queen song ever recorded.

The 'Rocks' LP did the trick it was supposed to do, and was a 'band' decision, sold by both Hollywood Records and Parlophone.

'Milking the cash cow':  it wasn't just Hwood Records   https://queenpedia.com/index.php?title=Box_Sets 

The wife and I each had 'The Complete Works' and 'Box Of Trix' from EMI.  The fanatic that she was, she still has the 1997 'Queen Rocks' box (Hollywood Records). Both of us also had 1992 'The Queen Collection' (Hollywood Records) box set.  I'll admit that was a nice one, with the HR versions of 'Greatest Hits', 'Classic Queen', an '89 interview on a third disc that also had 'Thank God It's Christmas'.....the first time I had heard this '84 release.

There's also the Japanese EMI 'The CD Singles Box' of 3" CDs.

And...the 'Queen Ultimate Box Set' from Parlophone   http://www.ultimatequeen.co.uk/queen/discography/ultimate-queen.htm  It cost 300 pounds back in '95.  It looked nice in her old study, and tried to sell it a few years ago for much less than the $2000 listed here :lol

https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m42497386683/?gclsrc=aw.ds&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=18190861155&utm_content=t0&adgroup=142235858762&network=g&device=c&merchant_id=126358573&product_id=m42497386683&product_id=829035334551&gclid=Cj0KCQjw--2aBhD5ARIsALiRlwAcdv7EFzpYBEB16UqYukH54h82ge6SvZdLvrQBV5MjKQ--qpciSngaAlbGEALw_wcB

One more Hollywood Records milking (or fleecing) occured in November of '98 with the release of 'The Crown Jewels'

https://queenpedia.com/index.php?title=The_Crown_Jewels

The first eight albums, with the errors from the original '91 HR issues fixed, but with nothing new.  Cost then was around $100.  I do still have the one given to me as a Christmas present that year (so I have the EMI original imports, the HR '91 reissues, and these in my collection....and cdr copies of the 2011 reissues from the library.....)

1998 also saw the release of two solo albums, and the loss of yet another Brian 'bandmate'.  Next post.....

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN Discography - RIP, Cozy Powell
« Reply #1321 on: October 28, 2022, 05:30:21 PM »
COZY POWELL  (1947-1998)

"I play drums like I drive - crazy!"

from the Brian May website   https://brianmay.com/cozy/cozy.html 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cozy_Powell

The accident from wiki:  "Powell died on 5 April 1998 following a car crash while driving his Saab 9000 at 104 mph (167 km/h) in bad weather on the M4 motorway near Bristol. He had been dating a married woman who was having problems with her husband.[11] Upset, she phoned him and asked him to come quickly to her house which was approximately 35 miles (56 km) away. As he was driving to her house, she phoned him again and asked "Where are you?" He informed her he was on his way and she then heard him say "Oh shit!" followed by a loud bang.[11]

Powell was ejected through the windscreen and died at the scene.[11] According to the BBC report, at the time of the crash Powell's blood-alcohol reading was over the legal limit, and he was not wearing a seat belt, in addition to talking with his girlfriend on his mobile phone. The official investigation also found evidence of a slow puncture in a rear tyre that, it was suggested, could well have caused a sudden collapse of the tyre with a consequent loss of control of the car.[12]

He was living in Lambourn in Berkshire at the time and had returned to the studio shortly before his death to record with Fleetwood Mac founder Peter Green. At the time of death, Powell had recently pulled out of tour rehearsals with Yngwie Malmsteen, having suffered an injury in a motorcycle accident. One of his last phone calls, to Joe Geesin (his fan club editor), was to express distress about this, to describe the physiotherapy treatment he was undergoing, and to voice his enthusiasm for the upcoming Brian May tour.

A memorial plaque in Cirencester was unveiled on January 7 2016, in a ceremony led by Brian May, with Suzi Quatro, Bernie Marsden, Neil Murray, Don Airey and Tony Iommi in attendance."

Rainbow 1975-80

Michael Schenker Group

Whitesnake   (Neil Murray is on the left)  1982-85

Black Sabbath 1988-91, 94-95

Gary Moore, 1988

the Brian May band

Brian's next album was set for release in a couple of months, with a couple months after that.  Eric Singer, who had also played for Gary Moore and Black Sabbath, and then KISS after Eric Carr died (the same day as Freddie) until Peter Criss came back in '96, took Cozy's place as drummer on Brian's tour.

I so remember reading the news of the accident that day.  FWIW, I so felt for Brian.  Music and touring had become fun again after the loss of another dear friend, with Cozy being one of the main reasons of that enjoyment.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 07:48:35 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN Discography - Brian's 'The Business' (Rock on Cozy Mix) 45
« Reply #1322 on: October 29, 2022, 11:38:52 AM »
BRIAN MAY   BUSINESS 45

The Business (Rock On Cozy Mix)  b/w  Maybe Baby

Released:  May, 1998  UK (Parlophone)

Charts:  UK #51

Business   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbYtExRCmW8 

Released one month after Cozy Powell’s death, this single mix differs from the eventual LP version by featuring some added drumming as the intro, and ends with part of his drum solo from  ‘Live At The Brixton Academy’.  Gives the song an even harder edge.  The regular ‘Business’ 45 edit did not chart in the States.

Maybe Baby   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upkdd_sxZvI

a nonalbum cover of the Buddy Holly hit.  And well done, I might add.  This should have found its way onto the album.

CD single
1. Business (Rock On Cozy Mix)
2. Maybe Baby
3. Brian Talks    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae5lhVxGj8Q
4. Enhanced Section

North American sleeve

This special mix is a tribute to my dear friend Cozy Powell, indisputably one of the greatest Rock drummers of all time, and one of the greatest blokes you could ever hope to meet.  Cozy recorded 'The Business' and 'Maybe Baby' with me as part of my solo album project, Another World, throughout which, with his unique energy, he gave me the greatest support and encouragement.  We all loved him dearly and will miss him more than words can say.  Cozy, you truly were "The Business"

A donation from the single also went to one of his charities, the World Society for the Protection of Animals.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1323 on: October 29, 2022, 03:42:13 PM »
BRIAN MAY   BUSINESS 45

The Business (Rock On Cozy Mix)  b/w  Maybe Baby

Released:  May, 1998  UK (Parlophone)

Business   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbYtExRCmW8 

Released one month after Cozy Powell’s death, this single mix differs from the eventual LP version by featuring some added drumming as the intro, and ends with part of his drum solo from  ‘Live At The Brixton Academy’.  Gives the song an even harder edge.  The regular ‘Business’ 45 edit did not chart in the States.

Maybe Baby   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upkdd_sxZvI

a nonalbum cover of the Buddy Holly hit.  And well done, I might add.  This should have found its way onto the album.

CD single
1. Business (Rock On Cozy Mix)
2. Maybe Baby
3. Brian Talks    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae5lhVxGj8Q
4. Enhanced Section

North American sleeve

This special mix is a tribute to my dear friend Cozy Powell, indisputably one of the greatest Rock drummers of all time, and one of the greatest blokes you could ever hope to meet.  Cozy recorded 'The Business' and 'Maybe Baby' with me as part of my solo album project, Another World, throughout which, with his unique energy, he gave me the greatest support and encouragement.  We all loved him dearly and will miss him more than words can say.  Cozy, you truly were "The Business"

A donation from the single also went to one of his charities, the World Society for the Protection of Animals.

That Cozy mix ends awesome with the drum solo. I like it!!

COZY POWELL  (1947-1998)

"I play drums like I drive - crazy!"

from the Brian May website   https://brianmay.com/cozy/cozy.html 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cozy_Powell

The accident from wiki:  "Powell died on 5 April 1998 following a car crash while driving his Saab 9000 at 104 mph (167 km/h) in bad weather on the M4 motorway near Bristol. He had been dating a married woman who was having problems with her husband.[11] Upset, she phoned him and asked him to come quickly to her house which was approximately 35 miles (56 km) away. As he was driving to her house, she phoned him again and asked "Where are you?" He informed her he was on his way and she then heard him say "Oh shit!" followed by a loud bang.[11]

Powell was ejected through the windscreen and died at the scene.[11] According to the BBC report, at the time of the crash Powell's blood-alcohol reading was over the legal limit, and he was not wearing a seat belt, in addition to talking with his girlfriend on his mobile phone. The official investigation also found evidence of a slow puncture in a rear tyre that, it was suggested, could well have caused a sudden collapse of the tyre with a consequent loss of control of the car.[12]

He was living in Lambourn in Berkshire at the time and had returned to the studio shortly before his death to record with Fleetwood Mac founder Peter Green. At the time of death, Powell had recently pulled out of tour rehearsals with Yngwie Malmsteen, having suffered an injury in a motorcycle accident. One of his last phone calls, to Joe Geesin (his fan club editor), was to express distress about this, to describe the physiotherapy treatment he was undergoing, and to voice his enthusiasm for the upcoming Brian May tour.

A memorial plaque in Cirencester was unveiled on January 7 2016, in a ceremony led by Brian May, with Suzi Quatro, Bernie Marsden, Neil Murray, Don Airey and Tony Iommi in attendance."

Rainbow 1975-80

Michael Schenker Group

Whitesnake   (Neil Murray is on the left)  1982-85

Black Sabbath 1988-91, 94-95

Gary Moore, 1988

the Brian May band

Brian's next album was set for release in a couple of months, with a couple months after that.  Eric Singer, who had also played for Gary Moore and Black Sabbath, and then KISS after Eric Carr died (the same day as Freddie) until Peter Criss came back in '96, took Cozy's place as drummer on Brian's tour.

I so remember reading the news of the accident that day.  FWIW, I so felt for Brian.  Music and touring had become fun again after the loss of another dear friend, with Cozy being one of the main reasons of that enjoyment.

I used to stare at this picture on the back of MSG, the Michael Schenker Group's second album.

Looking For Love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqE59en2epE

My all time favorite Cozy performance comes on this album..

https://youtu.be/htLlpJZ6r18?t=45

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1324 on: October 29, 2022, 07:38:58 PM »
THE eYe

Released:  April 3, 1998

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen:_The_eYe

Computer game on five discs, but more importantly, ...music...

Had a friend who visited the UK at this time pick this one up for me.  One had to be extremely careful putting this into a CD player, as that loud buzz from the data tracks felt like it was 10x louder than the music, and would knock your socks off if your stereo volume was still up.

Lots of edits and mostly instrumental versions.  Those were quite enjoyable (Khashoggi’s Ship being one) with some slight changes at times in the mixing by Justin Shirley-Smith.    I especially enjoyed a couple of the ‘Gimme The Prize’ versions, as the spoken words from the soundtrack were removed.

Gained more of an appreciation of Freddie’s voice, especially when listening to ‘The Show Must Go On’ without him.

Our originals were sold long ago, with cdr copies of the audio.  Some decade I might listen to it again.

No idea about the video game.  I know my ex tried it, and showed me a few things, but quickly we both lost interest. Most said it stunk.

Practically their Ed Hunter, hey?
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1325 on: October 29, 2022, 07:53:23 PM »
Yeah, came out about the same time. Sooner actually. First thing I thought of.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1326 on: October 30, 2022, 07:40:37 AM »
Other than Iron Maiden, did any other band try this, with similar poor reviews of their games?  Theirs was released in '99.

Rainbow at the Rockpalast....great intro, both Ritchie and Cozy are on fire, and that extended 'Man On The Silver Mountain' version from Munich '77 are pure killer! :tup  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpgu9wKJVbc&list=PLYFAAfhX89-cwT7ejpxzy3AaTgoBS_8uR&index=7

oh, and hell yeah, 'The Business' rocks!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN Discography - BRIAN MAY ANOTHER WORLD LP
« Reply #1327 on: October 30, 2022, 11:27:16 AM »
BRIAN MAY   ANOTHER WORLD LP

Released: June 1, 1998 UK (Parlophone),  September 15 US (Hollywood)
Charts:  UK #23
Germany #32, Netherlands #47, Austria #48

2022 reissue:  UK #14
Scotland #6, Germany #15, Switzerland #31, Japan #35, Spain #39, Austria #47, Belgium #95

Singles: 
Business  b/w Maybe Baby
Released:  June 1998

Why Don't We Try Again   b/w  Only Make Believe - FBI
Released:  September
Charts:  UK #44

‘On My Way Up’ and ‘Another World’ were also released in The Netherlands (DNC).

https://www.queenvault.com/AnotherWorld/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Another_World_(Brian_May_album)

Arrangement and production by Brian May
Engineering and co-production by Justin Shirley-Smith
Recorded at the Allerton Hill Studio
Mastered by Kevin Metcalfe at Townhouse Studios
Design and photography – Richard Gray
Equipment supervision, maintenance, stuff – Pete Malandrone

Brian May – vocals, guitars, keyboards, bass guitar, programming
Cozy Powell – drums on "Business", "China Belle", "The Guv'nor", "Slow Down", "One Rainy Wish", and "All The Way From Memphis", drums and percussion on "Why Don't We Try Again?"
Steve Ferrone – drums on "Another World"
Neil Murray – bass guitar on "China Belle", "Slow Down", "One Rainy Wish", and "All The Way From Memphis"
Ken Taylor – bass guitar on "Another World"
Jamie Moses – guitar on "Slow Down"
Spike Edney – keyboards on "Slow Down"
London Metropolitan Orchestra – strings on "One Rainy Wish", conducted by Michael Kamen
Cathy Porter – backing vocals on "On My Way Up"
Shelley Preston – backing vocals on "On My Way Up" and "All the Way from Memphis"
Nikki Love – backing vocals on "All the Way from Memphis"
Becci Glover – backing vocals on "All the Way from Memphis"
Taylor Hawkins – drums on "Cyborg"
Jeff Beck – guitar on "The Guv'nor"
Ian Hunter – guest raconteur on "All the Way from Memphis"

AUDIO   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcJIjHD24Qk&list=PLkvNP54Usc1PjfsU2h-PXzEzXph6FvrOF
Full title track   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqmCq8dpVJ0

SIDE ONE
Space    0:47
Business   5:07
China Belle   4:01
Why Don't We Try Again   5:24
On My Way Up   2:57
Cyborg   3:54

SIDE TWO
The Guv'nor   4:13
Wilderness   4:52
Slow Down (Larry Williams)   4:18
One Rainy Wish    (Jimi Hendrix)   4:05
All The Way From Memphis (Ian Hunter)  5:16
Another World     7:30

Bonus tracks on the Japanese CD
F.B.I   (Hank Marvin)   3:11
Hot Patootie (Richard O'Brien)  3:20

There is a TE Conway edition and a ‘Red Special’ release associated with this album.  Those will be mentioned in another post

2022 reissue bonus disc
1.   Brian Talks   1:15
2.   Business (Rock on Cozy Mix)   4:41
3.   Hot Patootie (O'Brien)   3:22
4.   F.B.I. (original rough mix) (Marvin)  3:19
5.   Maybe Baby (Buddy Holly, Norman Petty)  2:13
6.   Only Make Believe (Conway Twitty, Jack Nance)   2:39
7.   Otro Lugar (Another World sung in Spanish)  4:07
8.   Cyborg (solo instrumental version)  3:30
9.   Business Stings     2:15
10.   I'll Be Prayin'  1:09
11.   On My Way Up (guitar version)    1:24
12.   The Last Great Optimist     0:54
13.   On My Way Up (live in Paris, June '98)    8:05
14.   Hammer To Fall (live in Paris, June '98)    9:11
15.   My Boy 2:12

The 2022 reissue with bonus disc is worth checking out.  Nice instrumental additions, includes all of the non album songs, ‘The Business’ 45 Cozy mix, a couple of good live versions, and the tender ‘My Boy’.  A shame that ‘What Are We Made Of?’ wasn’t included. 

Some good stuff, but it’s a disjointed hodge podge of new material and covers….some of it works, some of it doesn’t.

Originally intended as a covers album titled ‘Heroes’, Brian changed his mind part way through.  He wrote the eventual title song for a Gwyneth Paltrow romantic comedy ‘Sliding Doors’. Due to contractual issues, it was not used. This rejection, coupled with Brian writing some more songs, resulted in a change of direction.

‘Business’ simply kicks axe as much or more as ‘Resurrection’.  ‘China Belle’ has some good guitar, but he’s trying a bit too hard on this.   ‘Why Don’t We Try Again’ is a mid tempo song about lost loves (either from breakups or death) with some nice lead guitar work midway through.  The line ‘in the dark, there’s a desert flower’ may be a reference to Freddie.  My second favorite song of the album.

‘On My Way Up’ is a ‘’39’ Let Your Heart Rule Your Head’ wannabe.  It’s a fun and upbeat tune, but a bit too brash and fast with the BVs at times. And it didn't fit the 'flow' of the album in this spot.

The two songs with guest appearances should shine, which they do instrumentally, but there’s just something ‘missing’ (or too much) in them.  ‘Cyborg’ was made for a video game years earlier.  This tune really rocks, with Taylor Hawkins playing drums, but the computer voice game voice irritates me.  Just heard the instrumental a month ago…..enjoyable without the video voice  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TJwWUGBw2c

The other song is ‘The Guv’nor’, with Jeff Beck making a guest appearance.  Meh lyrically, a treat for the most part instrumentally.

‘Wilderness’ is another gentle ballad, somewhat similar to ‘Why Don’t We Try Again’.  Except that after some crashing BVs at the two plus minute mark, comes one of Brian's most mesmerizing and melting guitar solos for the next minute.  The final two and a half minutes alone was worth purchasing this album.

‘Slow Down’
is a damn good rocking cover.  ‘One Rainy Wish’ was done for a Hendrix tribute LP earlier titled ‘In From The Storm’.  It’s well done, with added effects not appearing on the original.  ‘All The Way To Memphis’ is a tribute to long time friend Ian Hunter.  It’s quite a heavy cover, but the BVs are quite bad.  Brian and Cozy do rock on it.  A rather melancholy finish, hearing an automobile speeding off into the distance at the end……

The album ends with the title track…..but it doesn’t.  After nearly a minute of silence, an ‘Easter Egg’ of a gentle piano instrumental appears, mostly a cover of ‘Business’.  It has been given the title ‘Being On My Own’.

Two covers that didn’t make the album that should have:  ‘Maybe Baby’ (mentioned in a prior post), and the Hank Marvin & The Shadows instrumental ‘FBI’ is the other.  Francis Rossi and Rick Parfitt from Status Quo provide additional guitars on 'FBI'. I’d always thought that Cozy played drums, but they are programmed here.  :o 

FWIW, I would have trimmed some of the fat and  gone with: 
Side One:  Space / Business / China Belle / Why Don’t We Try Again / Maybe Baby / FBI
Side Two:  On My Way Up / Wilderness / Slow Down / One Rainy Wish / Another World

« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 12:16:24 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1328 on: October 30, 2022, 11:30:46 AM »
Another World is the only solo album I have by any of the Queen members, and I dig it.  I will have to bust it out this week, as it's been a while.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #1329 on: October 31, 2022, 09:03:44 AM »
A personal side note on "Why Don’t We Try Again"... I was breaking up with my then girlfriend, and we were literally saying goodbyes in my car and I was playing this album with the volume down while we were talking. Then "Why Don’t We Try Again" came on right when we both felt lost for words and didn't say a thing for a few minutes... midway through the song she turned and said it is a nice song... maybe we should give each other one more shot?  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020