Author Topic: QUEEN Discography- MONTREAL '81 in theaters near you  (Read 70641 times)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography - BRIAN MAY Live At The Brixton Academy LP
« Reply #1260 on: October 16, 2022, 05:16:06 PM »
ROGER TAYLOR   Happiness?

Released:  September 5, 1994 UK (Parlophone, EMI)
Charts:  UK #22 (its only week on the charts)

Singles:
Nazis 1994 UK #22

Foreign Sand (45 version)  b/w  You Had To Be There
Charts: UK #26

Happiness? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x02BUTGJ5To 
 b/w  Ride The Wild Wind Live  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McOWxuV4w2o
Charts: UK #32   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happiness%3F_(Roger_Taylor_album)

AUDIO   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYq53lA1LPM&list=PLZ6v8cTaWNkhsXoUIos1lNvhx37K4O7UA

Produced by: Roger Taylor / Co-Produced by: Joshua J. Macrae
Recorded / Mixed: One On One Recording, L.A.

Roger Taylor - drums, vocals, guitar and stuff
Jason Falloon - guitars
Phil Spalding - bass
Mike Crossley - piano and keyboards
Catherine Porter - backing vocals
Joshua J. Macrae - programming
Yoshiki - drums, piano and synthesizer on Foreign Sand
Jim Cregan - guitars on Foreign Sand
Phil Chen - bass on Foreign Sand
Dick Marx - strings arrangement on Foreign Sand
Brad Buxer, Geoff Grace - programming on Foreign Sand

SIDE ONE
Nazis 1994   2:35
Happiness    3:17
Revelations   3:44
Touch the Sky   5:04
Foreign Sand   6:53
Freedom Train   6:12

SIDE TWO
'You Had To Be There' 2:55
The Key   4:25
Everybody Hurts Sometime  2:52
Loneliness... 2:25
Dear Mr Murdoch   4:19
Old Friends   3:33

The album starts off with a dredge of a song that has a great intent.  Not subtle at all.  A little cleverness would have worked, as the message is on point (of course).

The title track onward makes for a damn good Side One.  Roger tones things back a bit vocally on this album, which is somber and retrospective coming off his good friend’s passing whilst working on the tidbits that would make up the final band album.  They are all worth a listen, as he even let’s loose a bit with the skins on ‘Freedom Train’.

Side Two….he was eons ahead of the times with his bashing of good ol’ Rupert Murdoch before I even knew his name.  His anger towards him regarding the hounding his subordinates and editors heaped on Freddie in his last year is more than within reason.  The man is a d*ck.   No subtley yet again. 

‘Old Friends’ is the only passable Side Two song, talking about Freddie and loved ones lost.

Combine tracks 2-6 with the best of his next album in four years, and you’d have one very good offering.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 05:34:26 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN Discography - ROGER TAYLOR Happiness? LP
« Reply #1261 on: October 18, 2022, 04:46:19 AM »
The Singles

Nazis 1994
UK #22

Six different versions on the CD single, and four of them on the 12” single.  Why?  Don’t really care, and never listened to them.

Foreign Sand
UK #26

1. Foreign Sand (Edit)  2. 'you had to be there'  3. Foreign Sand  4. Final Destination

Happiness? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x02BUTGJ5To
UK #32

1. Happiness?  2. Loneliness...  3. Dear Mr. Murdoch  4. I Want To Break Free (Live) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbOEGSYJKyM
This isn’t the version, and no idea when in this century it was performed in front of a bunch of stuffed shirts.  Appears to be Mike Rutherford on one of the lead guitarists.  Oh, and the vocals are not good.

The 7” vinyl had ‘Ride The Wild Wind (live) as the B side  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McOWxuV4w2o 

As he often did with good rockers like this and ‘Man On Fire’, this is slower and way too tame.

The 12” single for Happiness? was
Side A: Happiness? / Dear Mr. Murdoch   Side B: Everybody Hurts Sometime (Live) / Old Friends (Live)

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1262 on: October 18, 2022, 10:15:59 AM »

1. Happiness?  2. Loneliness...  3. Dear Mr. Murdoch  4. I Want To Break Free (Live) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbOEGSYJKyM
This isn’t the version, and no idea when in this century it was performed in front of a bunch of stuffed shirts.  Appears to be Mike Rutherford on one of the lead guitarists.  Oh, and the vocals are not good.

That was a charity event.  Mike Rutherford and Andy Fairweather-Low on guitar, Paul Carrack was there, as well as a good portion of Procul Harum (the drummer for one, and Gary Brooker on piano).  I think Eric Clapton and Ringo Starr sang songs as well.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1263 on: October 19, 2022, 06:12:02 AM »
^
Thanks.  The camera zoomed around so much, with views of people so often from the neck down, that I didn't get many good looks at the artists...many who certainly had aged from what I remembered them as.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1264 on: October 19, 2022, 06:25:17 AM »
CARMINE APPICE GUITAR ZEUS LP

Quite a career he's had, and drumming must run in the family ;)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmine_Appice

In 1995, Brian made a guest appearance on 'Nobody Knew'  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3jgDgfGWCA

Nice group of guest artists, from Yngwie, Neil Shon, Steve Morse, Edgar Winter,  Slash, amongst others
https://www.discogs.com/release/3631704-Carmine-Appices-Guitar-Zeus-Carmine-Appices-Guitar-Zeus

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: QUEEN Discography - HEAVEN FOR EVERYONE 45
« Reply #1265 on: October 19, 2022, 06:27:36 AM »
Mick Mars??  :rollin
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1266 on: October 19, 2022, 06:31:20 AM »
^
Yup.  Even Leslie West all those years later.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1267 on: October 19, 2022, 06:31:39 AM »
HEAVEN FOR EVERYONE '45'

Heaven For Everyone  single edit   b/w It’s A Beautiful Day  Heaven For Everyone
Released:  October 23, 1995

Charts:  UK #2

Hungary #1, Netherlands #2, Scotland #2, Iceland #3, Austria #4, Belgium #4, Italy #4, Europe #5, Finland #5, Ireland #7, France #8, Switzerland #9, Australia #15, Germany #15, Norway #18 New Zealand #25, Sweden #29

Certifications:  Silver in UK, Gold in France

VIDEO   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI8lrvKLzg0  6.8 MILLION Views

(A 7” vinyl jukebox version was released, as was a ‘Part 2 of 2’ Cd single  with ‘Keep Yourself Alive’, ‘Seven Seas Of Rhye’, and ‘Killer Queen’.  Why?  Absolutely no clue other than to gouge the completists.  In the States, ‘Soul Brother’ was the Bside.  Huh?)
Released two weeks before the upcoming album, this would be a great teaser for what to expect.  Some would be aware of the original version recorded by The Cross in ’88, in which Freddie sang lead on one version, and BVs for the version that Roger sang lead.

It’s A Beautiful Day    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnrH-j74rGc

This was from a demo Freddie performed way back in 1980 for ‘The Game.  This is a combination of the upcoming album’s opening song and reprise.  It makes for more than a fine stand alone version.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 03:33:06 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1268 on: October 19, 2022, 08:47:51 AM »

Although Carmine and Vinnie Appice are brothers, Vinnie pronounces his surname "A-pee-KAY", while Carmine pronounces it "Ah-PIECE". Apparently David Bowie changed Carmine's pronunciation early on when he briefly played in his band, and it stuck. Useless fact I heard somewhere, but can't recall where.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #1269 on: October 19, 2022, 08:50:15 AM »
I have that "Nobody Knew" cd single, but I am not a fan of that song. It is just ok to me.  :|
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1270 on: October 19, 2022, 08:58:36 AM »

Although Carmine and Vinnie Appice are brothers, Vinnie pronounces his surname "A-pee-KAY", while Carmine pronounces it "Ah-PIECE". Apparently David Bowie changed Carmine's pronunciation early on when he briefly played in his band, and it stuck. Useless fact I heard somewhere, but can't recall where.

Is Vinnie that or "A-pi-chee", with the emphasis on the A?  There's an interview he gave a couple months ago where he talks about that and told the Bowie story, but I forgot how he pronounced his own name; I'll try to find it.

REALLY nice guy; I met him after a Last In Line show in Agawam, MA, and he basically came out and hung with me and my friend for the better part of half an hour.  We even walked out to our cars together.  I didn't really pester him with questions, it was just shooting the shit about weather and stuff, but he's a pretty down to earth guy.  I think my friend asked him about the "John Lennon lasagna" story.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1271 on: October 19, 2022, 09:06:19 AM »
Dio always introduced him as Vinny Appissy
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1272 on: October 20, 2022, 06:59:30 AM »
I have that "Nobody Knew" cd single, but I am not a fan of that song. It is just ok to me.  :|

That video looked like something done for the anniversary, as one can see age lines on Brian.

Carmine 'Apissy'....I had a drum stick of his in my hand as it lay on the floor at a show, until the doofus in front of me stepped then stomped on it >:( :censored
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 08:27:54 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN Discography - MADE IN HEAVEN LP
« Reply #1273 on: October 20, 2022, 08:13:35 AM »
MADE IN HEAVEN LP

Released:  November 6, 1995 UK (Parlophone)  November 7 US (Hollywood Records)

Charts:  UK #1, US #58
#1 in Australia, Austria, Denmark, Europe, Finland, Germany, New Zealand, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland
#2 in Belgium, France, Norway, Scotland
Hungary #3, Japan #10, Canada #10

1997:  UK #47

2022:  Poland #32

Certifications: 4x Platinum in UK, Gold in US

Platinum in Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Japan, New Zealand, Norwary, Poland,
2x Platinum in Argentina, Austria, France, Italy, Netherlands, Spain,
3x Platinum in Germany
5x Platinum in Europe

Singles:
Heaven For Everyone   b/w  It’s A Beautiful Day (45 edit)
Released:  October 23, 1995
Charts:  UK #2
Hungary #1, Netherlands #2, Scotland #2, Iceland #3, Austria #4, Belgium #4, Italy #4, Europe #5, Finland #5, Ireland #7, France #8, Switzerland #9, Australia #15, Germany #15, Norway #18 New Zealand #25, Sweden #29
Certifications:  Silver in UK, Gold in France

A Winter’s Tale   b/w  Thank God It’s Christmas
Released:  December 11
Charts: UK #6
Finland #10, Netherlands #16, Italy #19, Austria #23, Ireland #23, Switzerland #28, Belgium #33, Germany #62, Australia #71

Too Much Love Will Kill You  b/w  We Will Rock You-We Are The Champions  (Rock In Rio Blues in US)
Released:  February 26, 1996
Charts: UK #15, USA #18 Mainstream
Belgium #10, Scotland #11, Canada #18, Ireland #28, Europe #41

Certifications:  Silver in UK

I Was Born To Love You (Japan only release)
Released: 28 February 1996
Charts: Japan #45 in ’96, #1 in 2004, #63 in 2018
Certification:  Gold

Let Me Live  b/w  Fat Bottomed Girls - Bicycle Race
Released:  June 17
Charts:  UK #9
Netherlands #28, Germany #67

You Don't Fool Me
Released:  November 18
Charts: UK #17
Belgium #13, France #14, Netherlands #21, Austria #23, Ireland #23, Italy #24, Germany #26, Switzerland #27, Sweden #52

Recorded:  January - June 1991 and October 1993 - early 1995
Mountain, Allerton Hill, Cosford Mill, and Metropolis Studios
PRODUCED BY QUEEN
All songs written by Queen unless otherwise noted

Freddie Mercury – lead vocals keyboards backing vocals 
Brian May – electric guitar backing vocals keyboards lead vocals (3, 4)
Roger Taylor – drums, backing vocals percussion keyboards lead vocals (3)
John Deacon – bass guitar keyboards electric guitar

Additional personnel

Rebecca Leigh-White, Gary Martin, Catherine Porter, Miriam Stockley – backing vocals (3)
David Richards – keyboards (5, 8, 13), co-production, engineering, mixing supervision
Justin Shirley-Smith – co-production, engineering
Josh Macrae – co-production, engineering
Ashley Alexander - engineering
Reinhold Mack – recording of additional material in the '80s
Kevin Metcalfe – mastering
Richard Gray – artwork, cover photograph of Irena Sedlecká's Mercury sculpture in Montreux

Dedicated to the immortal spirit of Freddie Mercury

AUDIO   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBO3rLDqBBE

SIDE ONE
It's A Beautiful Day  2:32
Made In Heaven (Mercury)  5:25
Let Me Live   4:45
Mother Love  (Mercury, May)  4:49
My Life Has Been Saved  3:15

SIDE TWO
I Was Born To Love You  (Mercury)  4:49
Heaven for Everyone  (Taylor)  5:36
Too Much Love Will Kill You  (May, Musker, Lamers)  4:20
You Don't Fool Me  5:24
A Winter's Tale   Queen (Mercury)  3:49
It's A Beautiful Day (reprise)   3:01
Yeah   0:04

Available on CD
Track 13  Queen (May, Taylor, David Richards) 22:32

2011 Universal bonus EP
Heaven for Everyone (Single Version) / It's A Beautiful Day (Single Version) / My Life Has Been Saved ('89 Version) /  I Was Born to Love You (Freddie vocal and piano demo) /  Rock in Rio Blues (Live B-side to A Winter's Tale) / A Winter's Tale (Cosy Fireside Mix)

These bonuses are nice, but once again incomplete. 

The short demo of ‘It’s A Beautiful Day’, written during ‘The Game’, was included on that album’s reissue, but not this. There’s also the ‘Let Me Live’ banned  version, The Cross' original versions of  ‘Heaven For Everyone’ (with both Freddie and Roger doing LVs)and Freddie solo ‘Made In Heaven’ missing.  And of course, all of the ‘Too Much Love Will Kill You’ demos that were done during ‘The Miracle’ sessions.

I'll list and link these in another post.     

inner gatefold

Queen’s ‘last’ studio album. 

The album was met with a wave of excitement, and became the second-biggest album release of 1995 (behind Anthology 1, which also, incidentally, featured a "new" recording from The Beatles).

I certainly remember seeing the promo poster at the record shop, hoping like hell it would be close to what their ‘last’ album had been.  I was not disappointed, even if this contains some so called ‘scraps’ and reworked material.  It is Queen, it is done well, and I still hold this in very high regard. 

The breakdown of each song’s origins can be read here  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Made_in_Heaven

As to the contents, from the gatefold covers, inner gatefold pics, the sleeve, and the poster, one got their money’s worth.  It is certainly sad and somber, yet uplifting at the same time due to the music. At the time, I had heard Freddie’s originals of ‘Made In Heaven’ and ‘I Was Born To Love You’.  With the added Queen touch, they aren't mellow or dance drive, but rock.  There's no programmed drums on these, and Roger does shine (though they sound a bit too loud and '90s at times).  I had not yet heard The Cross’ original version of ‘Heaven For Everyone’ or ‘My Life Has Been Saved’ (the nonalbum B-side of ‘Scandal), John giving it a much different treatment than the guitar driven original.  ‘Too Much Love Will Kill You’….certainly different than Brian’s version.

It has two of my all time favorites in 'Let Me Live’ …..only ‘Keep Yourself Alive’ had Freddie, Brian, and Roger all sing lead on the same song (Brian and Roger getting one line each) and arguably Brian’s best guitar solo in ‘A Winter’s Tale’ (Freddie’s final penned lyrics) which is Queen at its most tender yet bombastic best.    ‘Mother Love’ …..Freddie’s last vocals, with Brian having to finish out the lead vocals, followed by all Queen songs are played in 5-10 seconds before a snippet of 'Larry Lurex' singing 'Goin' Back' , and then the the sound of a baby cry. Quite chilling.

‘You Don’t Fool Me’….to me, the out of place odd duck on the album.  It has a great solo from Brian, but the tone of it all doesn’t fit this release, and I certainly wasn’t in the mood for a semi dance track.  I warmed to it over the years, and it’s a great tune to have blasting while cruising on the freeway on a sunny day, but it’s the one song I removed from this and placed on another disc.

Well….other than ‘Track 13’.  The vinyl ends with Freddie’s ‘Yeah’.  The CD offers up 22 minutes of meandering atmospheric music, with an occasional chime and spoken words from Freddie a couple of times.  It has been given the somewhat accepted title of ‘Ascension’ .  I use around five minutes of it on my version.

Brian has mentioned in interviews that they were not going to do a Led Zeppelin ‘Coda’ type farewell.  First, they didn’t have enough polished demos, though a few have come to light over the years….’Feelings Feelings’ from ‘News Of The World’ being one example.  ‘Let Me In Your Heart Again’ released decades later was too similar to ‘Let Me Live’, and they certainly wouldn’t use ‘Love Kills’ on this one. 

A pity that ‘Man Made Paradise’ and ‘There Must Be More To Life Than This’….which were written and worked on during ‘Hot Space’, and eventually appeared on Freddie’s first solo album, and of which demos do exist, were not worked on for this project.  They both would have fit in to the theme of this release.

Whether one considers this or ‘Innuendo’ as the last ‘Queen’ studio album, this is a good to great listen, ..... a fitting send off and final chapter for Queen.

Almost.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 07:48:56 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN Discography - MADE IN HEAVEN .. their final studio album
« Reply #1274 on: October 20, 2022, 08:23:52 AM »
Mother Love is just emotionally draining to listen to, it tears my heart out every time.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1275 on: October 20, 2022, 09:19:22 AM »
Each time I listen to You Don't Fool Me it gets more annoying.

The rest of the album is solid but I'm not really a fan of it. But it's way better than Led Zeppelin's Coda as far as posthumous releases go.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1276 on: October 20, 2022, 09:23:14 AM »

That video looked like something done for the anniversary, as one can see age lines on Brian.

Carmine 'Apissy'....I had a drum stick of his in my hand as it lay on the floor at a show, until the doofus in front of me stepped then stomped on it >:( :censored

What show did you see Carmine at?

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1277 on: October 20, 2022, 10:27:20 AM »

Queen's (Brian + Roger) 'Walk of Fame' post ceremony show in 2002.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1278 on: October 20, 2022, 10:28:57 AM »

I've seen almost 400 shows in my life, and I'm struggling to remember if I ever actually saw Carmine.  What tour did he do for Ozzy?

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1279 on: October 20, 2022, 10:57:47 AM »
Mother Love is just emotionally draining to listen to, it tears my heart out every time.

There's various 'stripped down' versions of this song on youtube, but one that might be more emotionally draining is this one with just vocals and drum machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6WtjaRelD4  without the ending sound effects.

And, the story behind it, being Freddie's last vocals, well...before I get all teary eyed and such....
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 03:31:15 PM by DragonAttack »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1280 on: October 20, 2022, 01:03:43 PM »

I've seen almost 400 shows in my life, and I'm struggling to remember if I ever actually saw Carmine.  What tour did he do for Ozzy?

I believe he may have been part of the Bark At The Moon tour in Europe as Tommy Aldridge did the US tour.

Here's Carmine with Ozzy on Solid Gold, which I absolutely remember seeing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlM1PcMlvCk

EDIT: I was right! The Euro leg of the BATM tour..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofGP51Q4PRI
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 01:20:49 PM by TAC »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1281 on: October 20, 2022, 01:09:29 PM »
Spotify Stats!

It's A Beautiful Day...6.3m
Made In Heaven...16.8m
Let Me Live...10m
Mother Love...9.2m
My Life Has Been Saved....3.7m
I Was Born To Love You...70.3m
Heaven For Everyone...45.3m
Too Much Love Wil Kill You...80.2m
You Don't Fool Me...41.3m
A Winter's Tale...9.8m
It's A Beautiful Day (Reprise)...2.6m
Yeah...6.1k

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1282 on: October 20, 2022, 02:15:00 PM »
Never been a huge Queen fan although I respect them and like a decent amount of their stuff. This thread has encouraged me to check out some more of their stuff, especially Made in Heaven.

Call me a weirdo, but besides Mother Love, this is the track I probably like most - just finished listening to it several times.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1283 on: October 20, 2022, 04:54:55 PM »
MADE IN HEAVEN ‘demos’

sunset photo

In truth, there were no demos available from the ‘Made In Heaven’ sessions. 

What is listed below were the originals that were ‘tweaked’ and made their way onto the album.

‘It’s A Beautiful Day’  from ‘The Game’ sessions.  Included on the 2011 ‘The Game’ bonus disc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUTFl0fNjIU

‘Made In Heaven’ from the ‘Mr. Bad Guy’ album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBCTasRgFqo  7.6 MILLION Views

‘Let Me Live’  the ‘banned’ version, first worked on during ‘The Works’.  No demo exists with Rod Stewart’s vocals (no doubt sung by Roger on the final version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD28NSiA8Vw

‘Mother Love’ stripped down, with just the vocals and a drum machine, as if this were a demo (no ending sound effects for all of the following)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6WtjaRelD4

just vocals and guitar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d73J2hrxnPk

just vocals and keyboards
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbknVsn05Gw

put them all together, and you have this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wy3AjykX_g 

‘My Life Has Been Saved’
the nonalbum B-side of ‘Scandal’
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uOqLWWfM0Y

the posters in the vinyl release

‘I Was Born To Love You’ Freddie’s original demo, first made available on ‘The Solo Collection’ in 2000, and included on the 2011 bonus disc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dipa77q0GCc

and what appeared on the ‘Mr. Bad Guy’ album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNhhAEupU4g  28 MILLION Views

‘Heaven For Everyone’  the single and what appeared on The Cross ‘Shove It’ UK version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjjA3j1YhEQ

Roger’s LV which appeared on the USA ‘Shove It’ LP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7oCFCDR4NA

‘Too Much Love Will Kill You’ (already listed for ‘The Miracle’ demos and the BTTL album)
Brian with Elizabeth Lamers LVs   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PokXANl5fxU
Brian LVs   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA2ui9-hnDM  (silence after 4:52)
Freddie LVs   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gKjGFYV0Yc  (only two minutes available)

And Brian’s three versions
45 and LP:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNa5kRX45tg
Guitar version:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbI5K9EH9zw
Piano version:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCNfb1BSWbs

It’s A Beautiful Day 45 version  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnrH-j74rGc

the hidden 'Track 13', which only appeared on the CD  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqMiaS88TlE 

'Rock In Rio Blues', from Rock n Rio ’85 (becoming  ‘Impromptu’ on ‘Wembley ’86' and The Magic Tour)  A bonus track on the UK ‘A Winter’s Tale’ CD, on the TMLWKY North American CD single, and a bonus track on the 2011 reissue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqHhQDkCoPU

'A Winter’s Tale (Cosy Fireside Mix)'  another bonus on the 2011 reissue.  More of a raw version, with less ‘atmospheric background’  Still superb!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Y9DmQNaLk

sunrise photo

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1284 on: October 20, 2022, 05:01:32 PM »
Spotify Stats!

It's A Beautiful Day...6.3m
Made In Heaven...16.8m
Let Me Live...10m
Mother Love...9.2m
My Life Has Been Saved....3.7m
I Was Born To Love You...70.3m
Heaven For Everyone...45.3m
Too Much Love Wil Kill You...80.2m
You Don't Fool Me...41.3m
A Winter's Tale...9.8m
It's A Beautiful Day (Reprise)...2.6m
Yeah...6.1k

I'm shocked, 'Shocked I tell you!' at the high number for 'I Was Born To Love You'.  It's not on any UK greatest hits, wasn't released as a single except for Japan....where it hit #1 and was certified gold in 2004....

And....at the low numbers for 'Let Me Live', 'Mother Love', and 'A Winter's Tale'.  Figured they'd be another 10M higher.

And ‘thank you’ once again for the numbers 👍
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 06:29:01 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1285 on: October 20, 2022, 05:10:17 PM »
Never been a huge Queen fan although I respect them and like a decent amount of their stuff. This thread has encouraged me to check out some more of their stuff, especially Made in Heaven.

Call me a weirdo, but besides Mother Love, this is the track I probably like most - just finished listening to it several times.

I mentioned that it didn't fit 'for me' in the album's concept and sound, but that on its own it is one catchy and driving song, aided by one of Brian's best solos.  I include it on a compilation just for that reason.

One can always check out the sixteen(?) different and authorized remixes of the song on wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Don%27t_Fool_Me  and then scour through YouTube for all of them. ;)

It also was their last hit single in Europe.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 04:42:23 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1286 on: October 22, 2022, 05:20:45 PM »

just to thank '  queenlive.ca ' for all the live pix and individual concert info (if you have a nickel or so, send on a donation.  I did.  Greg is one of the best!)

http://www.ultimatequeen.co.uk/    for the various album photos (which I should have learned of sooner).  This site is incredibly detailed and up to date.

https://queenpedia.com/index.php?title=Welcome....   This site was by some friends of mine.... they dropped off the map after a while, but the site is still up.  Thank goodness.

https://www.queenvault.com/   go through it, and it will list ALL of the various versions of songs ...  almost to a fault. ;)  For instance, there are THIRTEEN different versions of 'I Want It All' !!!  Want to know what they are?  Go to this site.  One of my many 'bibles' throughout the years.

And....thanks to TAC:  Tim, thank you for keeping me going on through this thread (not yet complete).  And your kind words.  I would not have known about editing the image sizes without your assistance (amongst other things).  Your love of UFO in that discography inspired me.

Keep yourself alive!  :tup

« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 06:01:29 PM by DragonAttack »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1287 on: October 22, 2022, 05:28:08 PM »
You're very welcome, my friend!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: QUEEN Discography - MADE IN HEAVEN LP
« Reply #1288 on: October 23, 2022, 03:31:34 PM »

Brian has mentioned in interviews that they were not going to do a Led Zeppelin ‘Coda’ type farewell. 

The rest of the album is solid but I'm not really a fan of it. But it's way better than Led Zeppelin's Coda as far as posthumous releases go.

Interesting that Coda is brought up. Coda gave me a Top 5 Zeppelin Tune. That'd be Wearing And Tearing.  :metal

I just did my Made In Heaven listen, and yes, you really can't compare this and Coda. Coda was basically just a bunch of unreleased tracks. This is reworked material built around Freddie's "in the can" vocal tapes.

Whether one considers this or ‘Innuendo’ as the last ‘Queen’ studio album

It's Innuendo.  :P

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1289 on: October 23, 2022, 06:36:08 PM »
So...I am generally skeptical and suspicious of posthumous releases. Sometimes it's difficult for me to parse out if it's a money grab to soak fans or something celebratory/tribute in nature.

I've never been "into" Queen. I've always admired them from afar, but when Made In Heaven came out, I kind of winced at a band embellishing old vocals to create a new product. Just seemed gimmicky to me. I have never heard a single note of this before this afternoon.

These are my First (and only) Listen impressions of the songs..

It's A Beautiful Day...Wow, Freddie announces his return! What a way to open a posthumous release.

Made In Heaven....Odd that they basically "covered" a Freddie solo song, but with a title like this, it works. It's nice enough, but that's a gimmicky move.

Let Me Live....Interesting story about the Take Another Piece Of My Heart. I can't hear Rod though anywhere in the song. The lyrics "Let Me Live" are kind of haunting considering.

Mother Love....This is a cool song., especially reading about it. Brian singing the last verse and all. I could do without the baby though.

My Life Has Been Saved....John Deacon's songs were always so pointed, and by that, they always had a nice steady pace to them. Reading that this was an earlier B-Side...I'll have to find that.
EDIT: I like the original much better. That opening solo by Brian is great. The '89 version is much heavier.

I Was Born To Love You....this is a great song, but putting Queen's instruments over a Freddie vocal from a solo album feels cheesy to me, but nothing cheesy about Brian slaying this song.
I guess as a tribute kind of thing, I can deal with it.

Heaven For Everyone....Interesting story of how it was a Cross song. The lyrics are real fitting for this album.

Too Much Love Will Kill You....Awesome. An actual still together unreleased Queen track. Interesting backstory on why it couldn't be released. Cool that Brian was playing it in his band.

You Don't Fool Me....This is wicked cool. Again, the story of the producer turning odd bits into something coherent is really creative. This is actually the best song so far! Brian kills on it.

A Winter's Tale...Wow this is really nice. Chilling, actually.

A Beautiful Day (Reprise)....Great closing track. Brian again is a monster here. This and the opener reminds me of how they did WWRY slow, and then made a fast version.
I wonder how much thought they put into which version to start the album and which one to close the album. It would seem the choice would be do we want to end on a somber note or an upbeat celebratory one. I think they made the right choice.

Yeah....

Untitled 22 minute thingy....um...I stopped getting baked years ago.

My feeling on Made In Heaven is this: It is gimmicky. Extremely. It'd normally be the kind of thing that I would shudder at.
But..there's a dignity about it that overrides it. Even when Freddie was "off camera", like It's A Beautiful Day, he was amazing. I have no clue what Roger and John were thinking, but this project was clearly important to Brian. His playing is truly inspired, and he seems to have taken the helm on it.

Brian has really come across as an extremely well grounded and dignified person, so while I don't normally take to releases like this....he has sold me on it.

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1290 on: October 24, 2022, 04:43:04 AM »
Hate to be pedantic, but surely The Cosmos Rocks is their final studio album???

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1291 on: October 24, 2022, 04:47:18 AM »
Hate to be pedantic, but surely The Cosmos Rocks is their final studio album???

I believe on the cover there's written "Queen + Paul Rodgers", so..... no.

On a side note, I believe the "Queen +..." denominataion works perfectly. It symbolizes the difference with the past. It's not Queen carrying on with another singer, it's what's left of Queen joining forces with another singer. Way easier to digest for all the Freddie orphans.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1292 on: October 24, 2022, 05:07:19 AM »
I totally agree with that.

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1293 on: October 24, 2022, 05:34:21 AM »
Surely it belongs in BOTH artists discographies rather than in neither? It's surely both a Queen album and a Paul Rogers album, rather than neither a Queen album nor a Paul Rogers album?

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1294 on: October 24, 2022, 05:47:36 AM »
They could have given themselves a totally different name. But they started with playing mainly Queen songs live, before they even talked about recording new songs. So the emphasis on 'Queen' is definitely intended.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D