Author Topic: QUEEN Discography- MONTREAL '81 in theaters near you  (Read 68647 times)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography - BRIAN MAY Back To The Light LP
« Reply #1225 on: October 11, 2022, 12:00:33 PM »
BACK TO THE LIGHT Session Musicians
(listed on the inner sleeve after the lyrics of each song)

the North American album cover

Cozy Powell – drums (2-4, 7-8)   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cozy_Powell

Geoff Dugmore – drums (10, 12)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoff_Dugmore

John Deacon – bass (7)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Deacon

Neil Murray – bass (3, 8)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Murray_(British_musician)

Gary Tibbs – bass (2, 10, 12)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Tibbs

Mike Moran – piano (3, 12), keyboards (9)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Moran_(music_producer)

Don Airey – keyboards (extra) (4, 7)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Airey

Gill O'Donovan – backing vocals (2, 10)    http://gillianodonovan.com/bio.html

Maggie Ryder – backing vocals (2, 12)   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maggie_Ryder

Miriam Stockley – backing vocals (2, 12)    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miriam_Stockley

Suzie O' List – backing vocals (2, 10)

Chris Thompson – backing vocals (12)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Thompson_(English_musician)

each one's discography and sessionography are fascinating reads
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1226 on: October 11, 2022, 01:09:36 PM »
I love this record, as you said easily the best solo effort of a Queen member.

Ressurection is one of my favorites and probably the heaviest song Brian has done.

Not sure if all those songs would have worked as Queen songs, but it would have been interesting to hear the bands take on them.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #1227 on: October 11, 2022, 02:33:40 PM »

Brian May's alter ego, aka T.E. Conway  :lol

IIRC, I got this EP as a bonus cd off of Another World. Very interesting Rockabilly style songs.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #1228 on: October 11, 2022, 03:59:33 PM »
Been at least a decade since I listened to this record but I really liked it when it came out.  Loved the title track and Resurrection particularly (there was a live album released with a great version of Resurrection too).  Pity about the follow up!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1229 on: October 11, 2022, 06:43:32 PM »
I love this record, as you said easily the best solo effort of a Queen member.

Resurrection is one of my favorites and probably the heaviest song Brian has done.

Not sure if all those songs would have worked as Queen songs, but it would have been interesting to hear the bands take on them.

Resurrection is certainly the heaviest song he ever tried to sing! ;)   One wonders what a follow up within three years might have sounded like had the next 'Queen' album interfered.  The different surroundings, along with Cozy and Neil, was helping to bring out the long hidden rocker in him.

The songs I mentioned would have certainly worked.  For 'The Miracle':  'The Dark' and obviously 'Too Much Love Will Kill You' (with Freddie's LVs).  'Driven By You':
 Roger might have changed a thing or two regarding the programmed drums.  'Just One Life' or 'Nothin' But Blue' on 'A Kind Of Magic':  he already had John's bass on the latter.  The mixes on Brian's solo efforts are almost perfect matches for those albums as well.

A re-listen to his offerings with his LVs throughout their catalogue shows little influence or additions by the band members. 

My thoughts are that of a fan who missed his one song (or two) lead vocal offerings (as well as Roger's) per album after 'The Game'.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1230 on: October 11, 2022, 06:44:45 PM »
Can't say I missed Roger's.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1231 on: October 11, 2022, 07:05:10 PM »
Perhaps from NOTW onwards, but.......in comparison, after his leads, he did help make Freddie sound even better than he was  ;)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1232 on: October 11, 2022, 07:06:52 PM »
I actually like his background vocals.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1233 on: October 12, 2022, 07:45:12 AM »
I'll get to Brian's live album tomorrow to keep moving things along, but first....I'll catch up on the glut of items that were made available to the buying public (some good, some not my cup of tea in the least).  They certainly were milking the cash cow to the fullest, but it certainly worked...shockingly well in one instance.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #1234 on: October 12, 2022, 07:51:43 AM »
I'll get to Brian's live album tomorrow to keep moving things along, but first....I'll catch up on the glut of items that were made available to the buying public (some good, some not my cup of tea in the least).  They certainly were milking the cash cow to the fullest, but it certainly worked...shockingly well in one instance.

Did you mean that Brian May Live at the Brixton Academy album? That's a nice live album, but I thought his voice was more or less gone by that night of the recording. He was struggling to sing at times.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1235 on: October 12, 2022, 08:17:28 AM »

Did you mean that Brian May Live at the Brixton Academy album?

Well, it isn't 'Acoustic By Candlelight' ;) :D

That's a nice live album, but I thought his voice was more or less gone by that night of the recording. He was struggling to sing at times.

I simply think he tried too hard at times, or tried a range at times that didn't always 'click'.  Along with a slight adrenaline rush, knowing it was being filmed and recorded.  More on all of that tomorrow.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography - Freddie Mercury 92-93 single releases
« Reply #1236 on: October 12, 2022, 08:27:52 AM »
It was certainly a time to have a deep wallet if one wanted to try and keep up with all that was being made available during the first few years after Freddie's passing.  Or by the end of the decade, when the various Queen and solo releases and compilations were finally finding their way to the States.

As to Queen releases, in '91 was 'Innuendo', 'Greatest Hits II', and the entire back catalogue available on CD released by Hollywood Records.  In '92,  there was the '12" Collection / Box Of Trix' and 'Wembley '86', along with the North American releases of 'Greatest Hits' and 'Classic Queen'.

Brian releases three singles, two in the UK Top Ten (the other #19) and a #2 UK album.

As to Freddie.....In '92, 'Mr. Bad Guy' is re-released, as is 'Barcelona' (charting at #15), the CDs finally reaching these shores.  And then 'The Freddie Mercury Album' (UK and Europe, #4 in UK, Top Ten for six weeks in '92, Top 50 for twenty four weeks total) and 'The Great Pretender' (North America) compilations releases

Add to all of that.....the releases of all of these singles in 7" and 12" vinyl and CD formats.....

(CD single listings only)

Released: July 27, UK (Polydor)
Chart:  UK #2

Barcelona
Exercises In Free Love
Barcelona (Extended Version)
Barcelona (TV Edit)

Released: October 12, UK (Polydor)
Did Not Chart

How Can I Go On
Guide Me Home
The Golden Boy
The Fallen Priest

Part 1 of 2

Released: November 30, UK (Parlophone)
Chart:  UK #8

In My Defence (Ron Nevison Mix)
Love Kills (Wolf Euro Version)
She Blows Hot And Cold
In My Defence (Original Version)

Part 2 of 2

Released: December 7, UK (Parlophone)
Charts:  UK #8

In My Defence (Ron Nevison Mix)
Love Kills (Wolf Euro Version)
Mr. Bad Guy
Living On My Own (Underground Solution Mix)

Released:  January 25, 1993 UK (Parlophone)
Charts: UK #29

The Great Pretender
Stop All The Fighting
Exercises In Free Love
The Great Pretender (remix)

From the compilations, I very much liked the 'Time' remix, along with the remixes of 'In My Defence' and 'The Great Pretender'.  They stayed 'true' to the originals, with various piano and guitar enhancing the originals.  The 'Love Kills' Wolf Euro Mix changes the original from more of a dance track to a rock track, which I did enjoy (though the drums never sounded like that on a Queen or Freddie release)

and yes, between the wife and me, from our combined collections, we shelled out money for all of them.  Hey, they have nice cover sleeves :D

There's one more remix compilation to list, the sales and youtube views which I found quite shocking.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 08:36:51 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography - Freddie tops the charts
« Reply #1237 on: October 12, 2022, 02:43:37 PM »
FREDDIE MERCURY  LIVING ON MY OWN  b/w My Love Is Dangerous

Released:  July 19, 1993, UK (Parlophone)  US (not released)

This is not the original from his 1985 ‘Mr. Bad Guy’ LP, that reached #50 in the UK.  It is also not the Julian Raymond mix that appeared on ‘The Freddie Mercury Album’ and ‘The Great Pretender’ 1992 compilations.  This was yet another by the name of the ‘No More Brothers Radio Mix’ (which did appear on some pressings of ‘The Great Pretender’ compilation).

Well, I guess part of it was the times (U2 released ‘Zooropa’ two weeks earlier), part of it is Freddie’s voice, and part is an infectious dance track (I guess). Regardless.... it made it to #1 in the UK for three weeks and #1 in ten countries, thus being ‘Freddie’s’ only solo song to reach Number One.

VIDEO  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTdd8QxifbY  92 MILLION Views
(yes....92 million frickin views   :o )

Charts: UK #1
#1 in Denmark, Europe, France (for 15 weeks!), Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Norway, Spain, and Sweden

#2 in Austria, Belgium, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland
#6 in Finland   

Certifications: Gold in UK
Gold in France, Netherlands and Sweden
Platinum in Austria and Germany

7-inch and cassette
A. Living on My Own (radio mix)
B. Living on My Own (1992 album remix)

12-inch
A1. Living on My Own (extended mix)
A2. Living on My Own (club mix)
B1. Living on My Own (dub mix)
B2. Living on My Own (LA mix)

CD single
Living on My Own (radio mix)
Living on My Own (extended mix)
Living on My Own (club mix)
Living on My Own (1992 album remix)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1238 on: October 12, 2022, 02:52:31 PM »
FREDDIE MERCURY REMIXES 

Released: December 1993  Japan (Toshiba CD only), Holland (CD/cassette), Brazil (CD/LP/cassette), Italy and Bolivia (LP only) (Parlophone)

Charts: Switzerland #18, Germany #22

SIDE ONE
Living On My Own (No More Brothers Extended Mix)   5:16
Time (Nile Rodgers 1992 Remix)   3:49
Love Kills (Wolf Euro Mix)   3:25

SIDE TWO
The Great Pretender (Malouf Mix)   3:38
My Love Is Dangerous (Jeff Lord-Alge Mix)   3:41
Living On My Own (Roger S Mix)   5:45

As if Freddie's music hadn't been remixed enough by the time this compilation was released, many countries (not including the UK or US) issued this six-track collection of songs that had previously appeared elsewhere, except for the Roger S mix of 'Living On My Own'. Hardly worth picking up, the album was still relatively popular enough (especially in clubs) for it to chart in two countries as an import.

(will note that neither of the last two releases made it into one of our collections)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1239 on: October 13, 2022, 07:04:32 AM »
I like the "Time" material - I'm trying to find a reasonable copy of the soundtrack.  Dave Clark! - but while I'm impressed by the Freddie solo stuff, it's really not something I go to very often.  I know his voice is versatile, but I love its power, and that's really best showcased with the bombast of Queen. 

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1240 on: October 13, 2022, 08:28:53 AM »
I like the "Time" material - I'm trying to find a reasonable copy of the soundtrack.  Dave Clark! - but while I'm impressed by the Freddie solo stuff, it's really not something I go to very often.  I know his voice is versatile, but I love its power, and that's really best showcased with the bombast of Queen.

Only on 'Barcelona' and a few solo tracks such as 'Man Made Paradise' and 'There Must Be More To Life Than This' did he let loose.

As to 'Time', head back to page 26 of this thread regarding the musical.  The title track was cut into two, the first almost three minutes on Side One, the ending on Side Four.   :huh: >:(   Both the title track and 'In My Defence' are available individually, as are the two superb remixes.  And there's also the version Dave Clark remixed this century.

As to a hard copy of the soundtrack, there's always eBay for the vinyl  https://www.ebay.com/itm/265929213979?hash=item3dea9dc81b:g:6XAAAOSwSs5jMekf&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsHpbTvZ0jBVsrXGgW5IRpJY3sd1QQ9R1bg1bJav0MKLcl4C
2VANdndAhfYaS6D%2BTB4ryse%2F24c%2FLSfL9TmpcsnlKoIJlC4AYivdCA8vfts0OrOsexqjMzQ4ocuqo9B%2B6rHQDNy0TCaBDM7sRmupedu
MQpTUL4PT0N1PhS8kE4yacdDPAtAO%2BMUvIKaAQNNT9JpT%2Fzk4ZPu7MZzUO9OBxS7czmmVizMboSaQy17uCpjzV%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR8L21Zr6YA

Not willing to gamble, you can always shell out $24 for the complete soundtrack on iTunes.  No CDs were ever made of the soundtrack in '86, and none
 were created for this anniversary release.  :huh:  http://www.time-themusical.com/

Once again, I hope you're a Sir Laurence Olivier fan, as he pops up (way too) often as the narrator.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 09:27:52 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #1241 on: October 13, 2022, 09:16:20 AM »
I think I am incredibly lucky to own Freddie's "Barcelona", "In My Defence" (part 2 of 2) singles.

I also own Brian May's "Star Fleet" EP, the special edition (it is a compass) of "Driven By You", as well as Roger Taylor + Yoshiki (X Japan)'s "Foriegn Sand" single.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1242 on: October 13, 2022, 11:09:41 AM »
I think I am incredibly lucky to own Freddie's "Barcelona", "In My Defence" (part 2 of 2) singles.

I also own Brian May's "Star Fleet" EP, the special edition (it is a compass) of "Driven By You", as well as Roger Taylor + Yoshiki (X Japan)'s "Foriegn Sand" single.

The Wolf Euro mix of 'Love Kills' was what I used on my Side Two version of 'The Works', replacing 'Machines'   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvnlWw4nDos
Just wish the drums were more 'Queenish' sounding.

The others you list, other than 'Driven By You',  I'll get to shortly

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1243 on: October 13, 2022, 11:12:03 AM »
but first, copying the news from the Queen thread

I know there have been billboards throughout the world announcing today's release of 'Face It Alone'.....but

thanks to Tim, I did not know about this until a few minutes ago.

https://bravewords.com/news/queen-release-rediscovered-track-face-it-alone-featuring-freddie-mercury-lyric-video-the-miracle-collector-s-edition-due-in-november

I mean, 'Holy crap on a cracker!!!!'   FINALLY !!!! 

When this wasn't released in 2019 on its 30th Anniversary, I figured it would never see the light of day.  And ...  it will contain some demos that I never knew existed, of songs I never knew existed  :tup :tup

Details   https://www.queenonline.com/news/press-release-queen-the-miracle-collectors-edition

Maybe it will be a bit bloated, and I had to laugh at the typical Queenonline spin  "Widely recognised as Queen’s strongest album of the 80’s and one of their most inspired, the 1989 released The Miracle was a global success reaching No. 1 in the UK and several major European markets, even re-establishing the band in the US where it delivered a gold album."

Strongest?  Eff no! Though it could have been.

Curious as to the tweaks that will be done on the vinyl, looking forward to the intended 'Another Miracle', the demos I've never heard of, the polished demos of those I have heard. (mentioned on page 26 of the discography   https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57201.1050)

I WANT IT ALL.......AND I WANT IT NOW!
(please make any comments of this on the QUEEN thread.  Thank you)

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #1244 on: October 13, 2022, 01:36:18 PM »
Just bought "Face It Alone" off of Amazon... it feels exciting, emotional and somewhat errie to hear Freddie singing a "new" song after all these years. The song itself is very solid, but a bit too straight forward musically, and I can see why they left it off The Miracle.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1245 on: October 13, 2022, 03:49:29 PM »
OK..catching up..

BACK TO THE LIGHT Session Musicians
(listed on the inner sleeve after the lyrics of each song)

the North American album cover

Cozy Powell – drums (2-4, 7-8)   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cozy_Powell

Geoff Dugmore – drums (10, 12)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoff_Dugmore

John Deacon – bass (7)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Deacon

Neil Murray – bass (3, 8)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Murray_(British_musician)

Gary Tibbs – bass (2, 10, 12)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Tibbs

Mike Moran – piano (3, 12), keyboards (9)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Moran_(music_producer)

Don Airey – keyboards (extra) (4, 7)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Airey

Gill O'Donovan – backing vocals (2, 10)    http://gillianodonovan.com/bio.html

Maggie Ryder – backing vocals (2, 12)   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maggie_Ryder

Miriam Stockley – backing vocals (2, 12)    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miriam_Stockley

Suzie O' List – backing vocals (2, 10)

Chris Thompson – backing vocals (12)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Thompson_(English_musician)

each one's discography and sessionography are fascinating reads

I'm listening to this now. That album starts out awesome. It does seem to chill a bit though.

Resurrection is great.  That's a classic Cozy beat. That's Brian on vocals? Wow. He reminds me of someone else..

Last Horizon is outstanding!

Geoff Dugmore's drumming on Rollin' Over is excellent.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1246 on: October 13, 2022, 06:43:28 PM »
^
The drumming:  I'll be honest, I thought Cozy did ALL of it before I wrote up this album. :facepalm:

And then I see Brian programmed them for 'Driven By You', and find out the 'Driven By You Too' was with Cozy drumming and Neil on bass. 

It was good for me to listen to the whole thing in one sitting last week for the first time in eons.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography - BRIAN MAY BACK TO THE LIGHT 45s and 'The TONIGHT SHOW'
« Reply #1247 on: October 13, 2022, 07:42:43 PM »
BRIAN MAY    BACK TO THE LIGHT 45s and 'The TONIGHT SHOW'

If there weren't enough items to purchase during this time, Brian's discography certainly added to the totals with five singles in a two year span
in various formats

Driven By You
Just One Life
Just One Life  (guitar version)   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4-ky-BgRWc

Released:  November 25, 1991 UK (Parlophone)
Charts:  UK #6 (other info already posted)

Too Much Love Will Kill You  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNa5kRX45tg
I'm Scared    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hATmlUA7rB4
Too Much Love Will Kill You (guitar version)    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbI5K9EH9zw
Driven by You (new version)    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q52qCelQQl4   

Released: August 24, 1992
Charts:  UK #6 (other info already posted)

Back To The Light
Nothin' But Blue (guitar version)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMXPl7DSyD0

Released: November 1992
Charts:  UK #19

and then there were CD singles of the title track really milking the cash cow
Back To The Light Part 1 of 2
1. Back To The Light
2. Star Fleet
3. Let Me Out

Released: 1992

Back To The Light Part 2 of 2
1. Back To The Light
2. Nothin' But Blue (Guitar Version)
3. Blues Breaker

Released: 1992

The TONIGHT SHOW  May 4, 1993

Back To The Light, interview, Tie Your Mother Down (with Slash)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKzPume5gw4

Of course, I taped and watched this.  Had a couple of Queeniac friends who were in attendance.  A pity that Jay could only spend one minute interviewing Brian. 

These performances would be used on the next two singles.

Resurrection / Love Token / Too Much Love Will Kill You (Live)
Released: June 1993
Charts: UK #23

the split CD singles

Resurrection Part 1 of 2
1. Resurrection
2. Love Token
3. Too Much Love Will Kill You

Part 2 of 2
1. Resurrection
2. Driven By You (Two)
3. Back To The Light (Live)
4. Tie Your Mother Down (Live)

Released:  November 10, 1993 Japan (EMI)

Resurrection
Love Token
Too Much Love Will Kill You (live, Palace Theater, LA)
Back To The Light (The Tonight Show)
Tie Your Mother Down (The Tonight Show w/Slash)
Blues Breaker
Star Fleet
Let Me Out
A Japanese only release, this was somewhat of a holy grail for me for the final three tracks, taken from his ‘Star Fleet Project’.  As of this date,
this is the only CD release that includes that entire album/EP.

Last Horizon / Let Your Heart Rule Your Head (Live)
Released: December 1993
Charts:  UK # 51

Last Horizon (Single Edit)
Last Horizon (live at the Brixton Academy)
’39 / Let Your Heart Rule Your Head (live at the Brixton Academy)
Last Horizon

A nice early teaser for his upcoming release

« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 07:50:31 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1248 on: October 13, 2022, 08:03:16 PM »
The TONIGHT SHOW  May 4, 1993

Back To The Light, interview, Tie Your Mother Down (with Slash)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKzPume5gw4

Wow, I've never seen this. May 4th?

Then I saw Brian open for GnR 6 weeks earlier.

According to setlist FM, this was the setlist.

The Dark
Back to the Light
Driven by You
Hammer to Fall
Love Token
'39
Let Your Heart Rule Your Head
Keyboard Solo
Now I'm Here
Guitar Extravagance
Resurrection
Drum Solo
Bohemian Rhapsody
Resurrection
We Will Rock You
Tie Your Mother Down

Hey, look what I found!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnzF522gDiY

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1249 on: October 14, 2022, 07:28:33 AM »
There's very few of his shows that have been made available.  Great find!  :tup   An interesting set list

Susan made it back stage when he was in Baltimore.  I missed the one in Royal Oak MI because my relief didn't show up in time (he'd worked a couple of back-to back 2nd/3rd shift doubles in a row), so I couldn't get too angry.  Well, then again....

Was Brian's segment (excessively) loud compared to GnR?  Was Cozy a beast? 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1250 on: October 14, 2022, 09:10:25 AM »
There's very few of his shows that have been made available.  Great find!  :tup   An interesting set list

Susan made it back stage when he was in Baltimore.  I missed the one in Royal Oak MI because my relief didn't show up in time (he'd worked a couple of back-to back 2nd/3rd shift doubles in a row), so I couldn't get too angry.  Well, then again....

I saw that tour in Hartford in March of 1993.  This was the setlist:
The Dark
Back to the Light
Driven by You
Tie Your Mother Down
Love Token
'39 (Snippet)
Too Much Love Will Kill You
Now I'm Here
Guitar Extravagance
Resurrection
Bohemian Rhapsody
We Will Rock You

I don't remember much about the ididvdual songs.  It was not excessively loud as I remember it.   Cozy was in fact a beast (I've seen him three times live with various bands and he always brought the sauce).

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1251 on: October 14, 2022, 02:23:58 PM »
^
Well, it's official:  I hate both of you!  ;) :D
(OK, have extreme envy towards you guys)

at least I had the following to listen to.....

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1252 on: October 14, 2022, 02:35:12 PM »

I don't recall the sound level. We were 15 rows back, dead center.

I really keyed in on Cozy et the ELPowell show. I loved him from MSG and Rainbow. Such an icon.

When I saw Brian May, I literally had no idea who was in his band. I remember thinking the drumset looked like Cozy's setup, and then I was like HOLY SHIT! It IS Cozy Powell.

Susan made it back stage when he was in Baltimore. 

What is the story here?

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1253 on: October 14, 2022, 03:06:36 PM »
She was with a friend who got her near the side before he went on, there's hand shaking, and she's wearing a custom leather jacket with the Queen crest on the back.  And then, well, while others are going a bit too GaGa, she, well....you've met her, she gave that shy but damn confident 'look' that she has, asked him to autograph a fan club magazine back cover that had a picture of her daughter on it, and.....well.....ended up with a slightly good view of the concert. ;)

Sadly, no pics, as they wouldn't allow any.

But...here's the jacket nine years later (in case you've forgotten)  :D

and today

« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 10:58:20 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography - BRIAN MAY Live At The Brixton Academy
« Reply #1254 on: October 14, 2022, 03:08:10 PM »
BRIAN MAY   LIVE AT THE BRIXTON ACADEMY

Released: February 7, 1994  UK (Parlophone)
Recorded: June 15, 1993
Attendance: 5,000
Charts:  UK #20

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_the_Brixton_Academy_(Brian_May_album)

Personnel
Brian May: vocals, lead guitar
Jamie Moses: rhythm guitar, vocals
Spike Edney: Hammond organ, synthesizer, piano, vocals
Neil Murray: bass
Cozy Powell: drums
Catherine Porter: vocals
Shelley Preston: vocals, tambourine

All songs written by Brian May, except where noted

AUDIO  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa7BfC30lP4

CD Listing:
Back To The Light
Driven By You
Tie Your Mother Down
Love Token
Headlong
Love of My Life (Mercury)
'39 / Let Your Heart Rule Your Head
Too Much Love Will Kill You (May, Frank Musker, Elizabeth Lamers)
Since You've Been Gone (Russ Ballard)
Now I'm Here
Guitar Extravagance
Resurrection (May, Cozy Powell, Jamie Page)
Last Horizon
We Will Rock You
Hammer To Fall

inner gatefold

OK, so at times Brian isn't the best lead vocalist.  He had a far better sidekick for two decades to handle those chores.  But...he is good in his lead role, especially
considering the heaviness of most of this setlist.  And then there's always 'Love Of My Life' which gave me goosebumps hearing him do it almost three decades ago. 

'Since You've Been Gone' from Cozy's Rainbow days, on through the 1812 Overture and  oh, btw, not listed, but at approximately 1:06:14, as part of the 'Guitar Extravagance' is the rockin' part of 'Bohemian Rhapsody' before going back to a smashing finish of 'Resurrection'. 

The fun band intros follow, and then the make you melt 'Lost Horizon' before 'We Will Rock You' slow/fast and 'Hammer To Fall' close out a rocking night.

It took a while, but one can tell he is happy and enjoying himself.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography - BRIAN MAY Live At The Brixton Academy LP
« Reply #1255 on: October 14, 2022, 03:15:07 PM »
'GOD' was part of the set list, but Brian never heard back from Yoko Ono granting permission.  So, it was not included in the official release.

Here is a bootleg version    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SKoMniFuAc

The dream is over, what can I say
The dream is over, yesterday
We were the fab ones, but now it is gone
I was the gentle one, but now I must be strong
And so dear friends we'll just have to carry on
The dream is over

The dream is over, no matter what they say
The dream is over, it has to be this way
We played in springtime, but now I play in fall
We hit the bigtime, but now we are small
And our dear friend let's hope he has it all, still
The dream is over

I don't believe in magic
I don't believe in pain
I don't believe in heroes
I don't believe in fame
I don't believe the newsprint
I don't believe we're free
I don't believe in nations
I don't believe in pride
I don't believe in pressure
I don't believe we're right
I don't believe in torture
I don't believe in fight
I don't believe in colour
I don't believe in white
I don't believe in history
I don't believe in being Queen any more
I just believe in me
Just you guys and me
And that's reality

Yes the dream is over
Dream on

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1256 on: October 14, 2022, 03:42:19 PM »

I've watched parts of this a few times over the years. I've never pulled the trigger on the CD because the female backing vocals are overpowering. Musically it's really good. I finally decide to pull the trigger, and it's n/a on Amazon...actually $180.. ???

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #1257 on: October 14, 2022, 04:00:55 PM »
$180? Jesus! I think I paid $15 for it when it came out.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1258 on: October 16, 2022, 12:21:11 AM »
Ditto.

TAC, there are used ones from $15-40 available......

btw...totally agree with the female BVs.  Too high pitched, and definitely WAAAAY too loud  :tdwn  Queen fans want the BVs, just not like that.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 09:58:50 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1259 on: October 16, 2022, 05:12:41 PM »
QUEEN +  George Michael   Somebody To Love

Released:  April 7, 1993

Charts: UK #1 for three weeks, USA #30
Also #1 in Ireland, Iceland #2, Netherlands #6, Belgium #8, New Zealand #8, Italy #9, Canada #11, France #16, Australia #19, Germany #21

Certifications:  Silver in UK

VIDEO  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvM2Cmi-YRU  51 MILLION Views from various sites

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Live_(George_Michael_and_Queen_EP)

These Are The Days Of Our Lives   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9rx_VVNaH8

We've seen the video.  I do recall back in the day that it received a lot of airplay on a 'newer' music channel called VH-1 (back when it played music as well).

There was also a 5 song EP released at this time

1. Somebody To Love (Queen +George Michael)
2. Killer
3. Papa Was A Rollin' Stone
4. These Are The Days Of Our Lives (Queen, George Michael, and Lisa Stansfield)
5. Calling You
6. Dear Friends (Queen only) (not on UK release)

« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 03:32:15 PM by DragonAttack »