Author Topic: QUEEN Discography- MONTREAL '81 in theaters near you  (Read 69570 times)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography -May, Taylor, Iommi, Gilmour, Powell, et al The Stonk'
« Reply #1155 on: September 26, 2022, 03:10:31 PM »
for a bit of levity....

The STONKERS   The STONK   Charity Single

Released:  March, 1991

Charts:  UK #1

VIDEO  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwfFFM-d6wk

Hale and Pace were an English comedy double-act that performed in clubs and on radio and television in the UK in the 1980s and 1990s. The duo was made up of Gareth Hale and Norman Pace. 

Guitars:  Brian May, Tony Iommi, David Gilmour, Nick Lowe
Keyboards:  Brian May, Mike Moran, Joe Griffiths
Drums:  Roger Taylor, Cozy Powell, Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean)

Produced by Brian May
Released as a charity single for 'Comic Relief',  it was the UK's 22nd-best-selling single of the year. "The Stonk" was released as a joint-single with a track written and performed by the comedian Victoria Wood. Entitled "The Smile Song", the song was credited on the front of the single cover and listed as track 2 on the seven-inch and CD single (rather than B-side). However, the UK singles chart compilers (now the Official Charts Company) did not credit her with having number one hit.

This was the second #1 single of the year for Brian and Roger, the first being 'Innuendo'.  A third (fourth) would be released shortly after Brian's 'Driven By You' solo debut.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 10:52:42 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1156 on: September 26, 2022, 03:50:13 PM »
Holy shit, did that fucking stonk.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1157 on: September 27, 2022, 03:11:53 AM »
Yeah, but it was for a good cause, you stonker! :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_Relief
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1158 on: September 27, 2022, 05:21:46 AM »
MAGIC JOHNSON

I saw him play one of his high school games in person.  His senior year, a first round district game against Jay Vincent and Lansing Eastern was televised by two local TV stations.  His Lansing Everett team won that, and the Class A title game that season. 

In ’77, a friend had a Michigan State basketball player as a roommate.  We went to a few games at a half empty Jenison Fieldhouse during Jud Heathcoate’s first year.  And then Magic became a Spartan.  All of their Big Ten games were televised on the Lansing television station.  A friend bought two season tickets in '79, and I split the package with a couple of friends (going to four) because the games were sold out for two years, ending in the epic title game in Salt Lake City against Larry Bird and Indiana State.

On to the Lakers, more titles and awards follow, ..I get to bump into him at a burger joint in Lansing, get an autograph…….and then November 7, 1991
https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/magic-johnson-announces-he-is-hiv-positive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzpyDnhyeWI

ESPN ten years later   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HzjDGIXdSg

The misconceptions then (and now):  HIV and AIDS were the same, HIV was a death sentence.  It was 'just' a gay disease, etc. etc.

Mitch Albom of The Detroit Free Press, my favorite sports writer, concludes the segment from 43:40 onwards with the perfect words regarding the ending of hero worship.

I mention this, because just a few weeks later.....

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography - FREDDIE MERCURY 1946 - 1991
« Reply #1159 on: September 27, 2022, 05:33:00 AM »
FREDDIE MERCURY  1946-1991

First the announcement (which I didn't know about at the time).....

The next day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfrgzDh-FqY&t=4s

various reports  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h2il09og40&t=529s

Went to pick up a food order for my coworkers around 6pm, turned on the radio on my way, and was devastated.  As much of a gut punch as John Lennon's death, but in a different way.  I just remember getting back to work, dropping off the food, hopping back in my car, and the tears just starting rolling down my cheeks...

Dead?  AIDS!?!?!?

'My' band for seventeen years (even though they royally p*ssed me off at times)....the albums, the concerts, all the friends I'd shared memories with while Queen played in the background.  That record player my Mom bought for me in '75, with the 'Bohemian Rhapsody' 45 on the spindle, and all the songs we listened to together before she died in '85.

One week later, Brian and Roger appear on ‘Good Morning Britain’

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-YirPyS47I

part 2  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgZCNjAwCW8

« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 10:38:55 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1160 on: September 27, 2022, 06:42:26 AM »
I don't know if youre going to cover this later on but did you read Mercury and Me?

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1161 on: September 27, 2022, 06:53:33 AM »
Certainly here in the UK, Freddie's death changed attitudes towards HIV and AIDS. We'd had people like Rock Hudson die of it, but Freddie was British, and much loved. He was one of ours, and not some poncy Hollywood type. He was the first major British celebrity, and the first major rock star to die of this horrible disease. But more than shock at his illness and death, I think a lot of Queen fans were genuinely shocked at the fact he was gay - he may have been out to his family and friends, but most of his fans had no idea. The fact that most of those fans were typical blue-collar rock guys really forced them to re-assess their attitudes towards homosexuality when their idol and favourite rock star turned out to be "one of them". 
All of which is unbelievable today, because looking back he's very clearly flaming, darling. But at the time, a lot of British people would not have picked up on that - gay culture just wasn't represented in mainstream media like it is now.
Freddie's death certainly softened attitudes, and fans donated to the Mercury Phoenix Trust in a way they would never have donated to an AIDS charity beforehand. Attitudes towards homosexuality have changed enormously in the passing years, and I really think Freddie's death was a catalyst for that change.

RIP Freddie, you are still missed and you always will be. There was no one quite like you and there will never be again.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1162 on: September 27, 2022, 07:01:21 AM »
I don't know if youre going to cover this later on but did you read Mercury and Me?

I read it some time in the late 90s, along with a couple somewhat well written books, as well as some not so well written and inaccurate ones.  There was one whackadoodle by the name of Sylv Livingstone who wrote one called 'Innuendoes' about her contacting Freddie in the spirit world.  She ran a mostly crazy Freddie Mercury Mailing List back in the late 90s.  We all figured she'd gotten clunked on the head by one of those balloons that escaped Wembley in '86 :lol

I'm not covering or listing any books, but do feel free to share anything regarding what you've read.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1163 on: September 27, 2022, 07:30:24 AM »
THESE ARE THE DAYS OF OUR LIVES

On September 5th, 1991, on what was Freddie’s 45th birthday, a radio promo single of ‘These Are The Days Of Our Lives’  b/w  ‘Bijou’ was released.  It did not chart on Mainstream Radio.

Fast forward three weeks to December 9th, one week or so after Brian and Roger had appeared on ‘Good Morning Britain’

THESE ARE THE DAYS OF OUR LIVES   double A side with   BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY

Released:  December 9, 1991 UK (Parlophone)

Charts: UK #1 (for five weeks)
Ireland #1 (for six weeks), Germany #16, Belgium #40

Second biggest selling single UK in ‘92

2021:  UK #81

Original VIDEO  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB4K0scMysc   94 Million views

This may say 'fan mix' video, but it's the original, minus all the crap ads from Queen Productions interfering     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBx7osO7J8A

The making of TATDOOL  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j5_dt1Ktvg 

These are all a tough watch (understatement)

along with the colorized but ruined Hollywood Records version   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBr3xn2rb4E

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/These_Are_the_Days_of_Our_Lives

Written by Roger (also wrote 'Ride The Wild Wind' and most of 'Innuendo'), who, as a member of Smile, had shared a clothing stall with Freddie at Kensington Market in the late 60s

“I was sitting at home in a rather reflective mood and I did know that Freddie was ill, and I think it came out of that slightly melancholic mood. I guess I was trying to put an optimistic slant on it in a way—those were the days then. And these are the days of our lives—Today is more important than yesterday.”

Absolute Radio in 2011.

Notes: Originally planned with The Show Must Go On instead of These Are The Days Of Our Lives, but withdrawn. Double A-side.

In the States, ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ was released in March ’92 with ‘The Show Must Go On’ as the B-side.  It reached #2 in the charts, eight weeks in the Top Ten, seventeen weeks in all.

Proceeds from both of these releases went to the Terrence Higgins Trust

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrence_Higgins_Trust

Since its inception, most of its fund-raising events have been hip and low-key affairs, from its first disco at the London club Heaven to gala screenings of Dracula and the comedy shows Hysteria and Filth...

Hysteria 1 was a comedy benefit for Terrence Higgins Trust, produced by Stephen Fry.
Hysteria 2, on 18 September 1989 at the Sadler's Wells Theatre in London, benefited Terrence Higgins Trust. It was produced by Stephen Fry and broadcast on Channel 4, with a telethon.
Hysteria 3, at the London Palladium on Sunday, June 30, 1991, benefited Terrence Higgins Trust. Stephen Fry hosted, with Steven Wright, Hugh Laurie, Elton John, Ruby Wax, Rowan Atkinson, Eddie Izzard, Craig Ferguson, Lenny Henry, Julian Clary, Josie Lawrence, Jools Holland, Dawn French, Jennifer Saunders, Ian McKellen, Edwin Starr, Clement Freud, Beverly Craven, Ben Elton, and Tony Slattery.

The charity received almost a million pounds in donations over the Christmas of 1991, with the proceeds of Queen's re-released chart-topper "Bohemian Rhapsody" going entirely to the charity, following Freddie's death. After being diagnosed as HIV positive in 1987, Mercury had been concerned that financial support should be available to those less fortunate than himself.

The charity's celebrity patrons have included Sir Richard Branson, Freddie Mercury, Simon Callow, Lord Cashman, Julian Clary, Dame Judi Dench, Tracey Emin, Stephen Fry, Paul Gambaccini, Sir Elton John, Caroline Quentin, Gaby Roslin, Dr Miriam Stoppard and George Michael

« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 10:53:22 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1164 on: September 27, 2022, 07:51:36 AM »
I was never a die hard Queen fan, I have all of their records but wouldn't put them in my top 10 bands. Somewhere in the range of 11-25 would be more like it.

I didn't know of Freddie's illness and the news of his passing hit me hard, it seemed so out of the blue and sudden. I remember that it was on the national german news on tv and even my parents, whose musical knowledge normally ends with Mozart and Beethoven had heard of him and commented on how tragic it was.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1165 on: September 27, 2022, 08:49:27 PM »
MAGIC JOHNSON

Yeah, this is what Mitch said.."The end of hero worship, and the beginning to permanent cynicism towards our athletes."

This Magic post is interesting. It was one of those things that you remember exactly where you were when this news broke.

Interesting, Joe, to include this.

I watched most of both of these clips. They seem pissed off, and I get it. I remember learning about AIDS in high school, and we're talking '84-'86ish. This was more than 5 years later.

And not to come off as disrespectful, but Freddie dying didn't really make my radar. I mean, I remember the news of him dying, but it could've just as easily been Bowie, Elton John..I didn't really have any tangible connection to Freddie Mercury.

In fact, I was actually consumed by the news that Eric Carr, drummer from Kiss, died on the same day at the age of 41 from lung cancer, that spread to his heart.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1166 on: September 28, 2022, 08:05:34 AM »
MAGIC JOHNSON

Yeah, this is what Mitch said.."The end of hero worship, and the beginning to permanent cynicism towards our athletes."

This Magic post is interesting. It was one of those things that you remember exactly where you were when this news broke.

Interesting, Joe, to include this.

I was sitting in my makeshift office in Burbank, CA, having not long previously started an extended project with my new company.  First time, other than college, I was away from my home for more than a week or so (I was out there for almost a year).

I watched most of both of these clips. They seem pissed off, and I get it. I remember learning about AIDS in high school, and we're talking '84-'86ish. This was more than 5 years later.

And not to come off as disrespectful, but Freddie dying didn't really make my radar. I mean, I remember the news of him dying, but it could've just as easily been Bowie, Elton John..I didn't really have any tangible connection to Freddie Mercury.

In fact, I was actually consumed by the news that Eric Carr, drummer from Kiss, died on the same day at the age of 41 from lung cancer, that spread to his heart.

That's kind of me, too. Being originally from the East Coast didn't help that much either.

I was going to ask, though, as a general question, whether these announcements really DID change anything?  I mean, maybe it's me, but I find that stuff interesting but not indicative.  It's the same with Rob Halford; it's not like I can claim I saw it coming, I didn't, but I don't love Priest any more or less knowing Rob Halford is a gay man.  I don't love Queen any more or any less because of Freddie's sexual orientation.   The Prophets Song STILL gives me shivers regardless. 

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1167 on: September 28, 2022, 08:26:29 AM »

I was going to ask, though, as a general question, whether these announcements really DID change anything?  I mean, maybe it's me, but I find that stuff interesting but not indicative.  It's the same with Rob Halford; it's not like I can claim I saw it coming, I didn't, but I don't love Priest any more or less knowing Rob Halford is a gay man.  I don't love Queen any more or any less because of Freddie's sexual orientation.   The Prophets Song STILL gives me shivers regardless.

Freddie wasn't your typical media stereotype of what being gay was, some weedy, camp, Mr Humphries type. The image of gay men being large, muscular and macho hadn't really broken in the mainstream. A lot of people still though the Village People were straight, because they just hadn't had any exposure to homosexuality in reality. The fact that a butch, macho, masculine rock god could actually be a, you know, sissy, was a huge deal in 1991.
Halford came out as gay in 1998. The fact that no one really raised an eyebrow at that time is a great indicator of just how far we'd come in 7 short years.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1168 on: September 28, 2022, 08:31:36 AM »

Freddie wasn't your typical media stereotype of what being gay was, some weedy, camp, Mr Humphries type. The image of gay men being large, muscular and macho hadn't really broken in the mainstream. A lot of people still though the Village People were straight, because they just hadn't had any exposure to homosexuality in reality. The fact that a butch, macho, masculine rock god could actually be a, you know, sissy, was a huge deal in 1991.

:huh:

Is that how you remember it? That's not how I do.

I'm pretty sure people knew the Village People were gay from the jump.

And Freddie wasn't large or muscular. In fact I think the leather jacket/white tank top, mustached stereotype was enhanced by both Freddie and the Village People.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1169 on: September 28, 2022, 08:37:44 AM »
I never once had any doubt that the Village People or Freddie Mercury was gay, and neither did anyone I knew.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1170 on: September 28, 2022, 08:49:48 AM »

:huh:

Is that how you remember it? That's not how I do.

I'm pretty sure people knew the Village People were gay from the jump.

And Freddie wasn't large or muscular. In fact I think the leather jacket/white tank top, mustached stereotype was enhanced by both Freddie and the Village People.

AND

I never once had any doubt that the Village People or Freddie Mercury was gay, and neither did anyone I knew.

That's me too; it's not that this was a secret, it's that for many it wasn't a big deal. I don't say this to sound all woke or enlightened, it's just a matter of keeping the record straight.  So to speak. :) :) :) :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1171 on: September 28, 2022, 08:53:42 AM »
If anything, they perpetuated that gays were freaks.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1172 on: September 28, 2022, 12:26:26 PM »
I wouldn't say that at all.

They were definitely different.  But I don't associate "different" with "freak" and never have.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1173 on: September 28, 2022, 03:36:31 PM »

They were definitely different.  But I don't associate "different" with "freak" and never have.

Well, I think in the early to mid 80's many people considered the flamboyancy as freakish. Mainstream regular gay people didn't seem to be part of the popular culture that it is today. 

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1174 on: September 29, 2022, 01:26:52 AM »
Certainly here in the UK, Freddie's death changed attitudes towards HIV and AIDS. We'd had people like Rock Hudson die of it, but Freddie was British, and much loved. He was one of ours, and not some poncy Hollywood type. He was the first major British celebrity, and the first major rock star to die of this horrible disease. But more than shock at his illness and death, I think a lot of Queen fans were genuinely shocked at the fact he was gay - he may have been out to his family and friends, but most of his fans had no idea. The fact that most of those fans were typical blue-collar rock guys really forced them to re-assess their attitudes towards homosexuality when their idol and favourite rock star turned out to be "one of them". 
All of which is unbelievable today, because looking back he's very clearly flaming, darling. But at the time, a lot of British people would not have picked up on that - gay culture just wasn't represented in mainstream media like it is now.
Freddie's death certainly softened attitudes, and fans donated to the Mercury Phoenix Trust in a way they would never have donated to an AIDS charity beforehand. Attitudes towards homosexuality have changed enormously in the passing years, and I really think Freddie's death was a catalyst for that change.

RIP Freddie, you are still missed and you always will be. There was no one quite like you and there will never be again.

A sincere 'Thank you' for this  :tup

As to Magic Johnson:  I remember where I was as well, since it was telecast on all the networks.  It was front page news in the Detroit Free Press, the Detroit News, the Kalamazoo Gazette, the Lansing State Journal and who knows what other Michigan papers.  Watching the documentary, Johnson wouldn't have found out had it not been for the Lakers doing the team's blood tests for simple annual insurance reasons. 

Freddie's passing:  buried midway through the news section, with the normal two paragraph AP write up and maybe a small picture.  People magazine had one page, and Rolling Stone I believe had maybe half a page. 

Luck, and increased research and awareness after it had been mostly been swept under the rug in the early 80s helped allow Magic to survive.  The attitude was exemplified in this little short  https://www.vox.com/2015/12/1/9828348/ronald-reagan-hiv-aids

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1175 on: September 29, 2022, 02:21:35 AM »
QUEEN 1992 Releases

Mostly compilations released during this time. 

One I forgot to mention from April of '91 was this

QUEEN CD SINGLE BOX   
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_CD_Single_Box
Japan only.  Oddly, 'Teo Torriate' is not included.  Of course, the wife owns this. 

Let's not forget that Hollywood Records reissued the entire Queen catalogue in North America in 1991.  That was a bit of a cash outlay

On to '92....

12” COLLECTION   
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_12%E2%80%B3_Collection
AUDIO  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ9rUzIMcZQ&list=PLW03aakseNTHRaBO2gsUT6o1-z-vTkcz2

Hard copy was only made available in the 'Box of Trix'  https://queenpedia.com/index.php?title=Box_of_Trix  My wife and I each owned this.  The poster hangs in my garage.

I prefer the extended version of 'It's A Hard Life' to the LP version, 'A Kind Of Magic' and 'Hammer To Fall' are worthwhile versions, the rest 'meh' to repetitive trash. 

The twice previously mentioned:

CLASSIC QUEEN  March '92   
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_Queen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHDpQBvdj14&list=PLE238CD6DF5E44638
Charts and certifications already posted.

GREATEST HITS   September '92 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKhsbNX1274&list=PLtki-dVaaJTWZnwlR1DevfI0GABCjU-Jq
Charts and certifications already posted.

The QUEEN COLLECTION   3 CD box set containing the Hollywood Records versions of 'Classic Queen', 'Greatest Hit's and a 1989 band interview.
yes, we have this

on to Freddie........
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 02:49:53 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1176 on: September 29, 2022, 02:37:39 AM »
BARCELONA
   reissued with  new album cover

Charts:  UK #15
Netherlands #9, New Zealand #13, Switzerland #18, Austria #24, Germany #41, Japan #93

Certifications: Silver in UK, Platinum in Switzerland
(all sales from '88 onwards)

Singles:
Barcelona
Charts '92:  UK #2
Ireland #2, Netherlands #2, New Zealand #2, France #6, Switzerland #8, Portugal #9, Sweden #12, Belgium #21, Australia #42

How Can I Go On (did not chart)

AUDIO  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASJI6pNGqGo&list=PLG4oHUlIe48er2grAx1IaS5UJDNslg0Tv

The FREDDIE MERCURY ALBUM 
Released: November 16, 1992

Charts:  UK #4
Austria #2, Germany #3, New Zealand #4, France #5, Switzerland #8, Netherlands #9, Norway #12, Sweden #35

Certifications: 2x Platinum in UK
Gold in Finland, Netherlands, Sweden
Platinum in Argentina, Austria, Germany, New Zealand, Switzerland
2x Platinum in France and Spain

Singles:
In My Defence
Charts '92:  UK #8, Ireland #12

SIDE ONE
The Great Pretender (original version)
Foolin' Around (Steve Brown remix)
Time (Nile Rodgers remix)
Your Kind Of Lover (Steve Brown remix)
Exercises In Free Love
In My Defence (Ron Nevison remix)

SIDE TWO
Mr. Bad Guy (Brian Malouf remix)
Let's Turn It On (Jeff Lord-Alge remix)
Living On My Own (No More Brothers radio mix)
Love Kills (original version)
Barcelona

AUDIO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6mDo9d0VOY

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Freddie_Mercury_Album
I always called it the Freddie Mercury 'Insult', what with all the techno pop remixes that Jim Beach commissioned.  Yet, it sold big time in Europe.  Go figure.

THE GREAT PRETENDER

Released: November 24, North America only (Hollywood Records)

CD and cassette only

The Great Pretender (Brian Malouf remix)
Foolin' Around (Steve Brown remix)
Time (Nile Rodgers mix)
Your Kind Of Lover (Steve Brown remix)
Exercises In Free Love
In My Defence (Ron Nevison remix)
Mr. Bad Guy (Brian Malouf remix)
Let's Turn It On (Jeff Lord-Alge remix)
Living On My Own (No More Brothers radio mix)
My Love Is Dangerous (Jeff Lord-Alge remix)
Love Kills (Richard Wolf remix)
Living On My Own (techno remix)

AUDIO  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnSevbIyN2zfaJIbX3MLpXJN6JQgZ6opI
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 06:21:26 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography - FREDDIE MERCURY Tribute Concert Easter Monday '92
« Reply #1177 on: September 29, 2022, 03:15:23 AM »

Wembley Stadium, London
April 20, 1992
Attendance:  72,000
(sold out in three hours, before any guests were announced)

AUDIO   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdMsGdhbb6w&list=PL598E5638FC92B022

1) Tie Your Mother Down (vocals by Joe Elliot)
2) I Want It All (vocals by Roger Daltry)
3) Las Palabras De Amor (vocals by Zuccero)
4) Hammer To Fall (vocals by Gary Cherone)
5) Stone Cold Crazy (vocals by James Hetfield)
5) Crazy Little Thing Called Love (vocals by Robert Plant)
6) Too Much Love Will Kill You
7) Radio Ga Ga (vocals by Paul Young)
8) Who Wants To Live Forever (vocals by Seal)
9) I Want To Break Free (vocals by Lisa Stansfield)
10) Under Pressure (vocals by David Bowie and Annie Lennox)
11) All The Young Dudes (vocals by Ian Hunter)
12) Heroes (vocals by David Bowie)
13) '39 (vocals by George Michael)
14) These Are The Days Of Our Lives (George Michael & Lisa Stansfield)
15) Somebody To Love (vocals by George Michael)
16) Bohemian Rhapsody (vocals by Elton John and Axl Rose)
17) The Show Must Go On (vocals by Elton John)
18) We Will Rock You (vocals by Axl Rose)
19) We Are The Champions (vocals by Liza Minelli).

The remaining members' brief speeches, before John introduces Metallica

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRqPp0TqyPs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Freddie_Mercury_Tribute_Concert

The concert was originally released in VHS form (usually in two-tape releases worldwide), but due to time limitations, "Love of My Life" and "More Than Words" by Extreme, "Animal" and "Let's Get Rocked" by Def Leppard, Spinal Tap's "The Majesty of Rock", U2's "Until The End of the World", Mango Groove's "Special Star" and Robert Plant's version of "Innuendo" were removed from the original release. The US release also omitted Bob Geldof's performance of "Too Late God", and Zucchero's performance of "Las Palabras de Amor".

In April 2002, for the 10th anniversary of the Mercury Phoenix Trust, the second half of the concert (featuring the performances by the surviving members of Queen) was released on DVD and entered the UK charts at No. 1.[7] "Innuendo" was not included on the DVD, at Plant's request. In addition, the original 4:3 footage had been cropped down to widescreen. The DVD was certified Gold in Poland.

On 24 June 2013, Queen announced on their Facebook page that a new remastered version of the concert would be released in late 2013 on DVD and Blu-ray.[9] The DVD and Blu-ray was released on 2 September 2013. Like the earlier VHS release, this version excludes Extreme's "Love of My Life" and "More Than Words", Def Leppard's "Animal" and "Let's Get Rocked", performance by Spinal Tap, U2 and Mango Groove from the opening acts segment, and Plant's "Innuendo" from the Queen+ segment.

Several songs from the concert have also been released in audio-only format:

Metallica's three-song performance was made into a UK tour edition single for "Nothing Else Matters", entitled Live at Wembley Stadium and released in Europe just one week after the concert, on 27 April 1992.

Guns N' Roses' performance of "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" was released in May 1992 as a double A-side, with the band's studio recording of the song; it was also featured on their album Live Era '87–'93. The single entered the UK charts at No. 2.

Def Leppard released their version of "Now I'm Here" (with May) from the concert, as a B-side to their single "Tonight" in April 1993.

an EP of the George Michael performances with Queen was released as Five Live in April 1993. It entered the UK singles chart at No. 1.  Without a doubt, George Michael's star shined the brightest, with his superb vocals and backing choir on 'Somebody To Love'.  Tony Iommi and Roger Daltrey were pretty close on 'I Want It All'.

Brian performing 'Too Much Love Will Kill You'

with George Michael performing ''39'

I remember watching a video tape a few nights later, since I worked a double shift or two during that time span. 

There was nothing like 'Live Aid', and never will be again.  There was nothing like this tribute concert, until the two recent ones for Taylor Hawkins.

The various comments, regarding the exhilaration of playing in front of tens of thousands at jam packed stadiums.....  knowing you'll probably never do it again.  Or, regarding the Queen 'machine'.....that they had a Ferrari, but no one to drive it.

I'll just leave it at that. 

RIP, Freddie

(Brian's 'Too Much Love Will Kill You', performed by Brian at The Tribute Concert, was released in August, reaching #5 in the UK charts (his second Top Ten in nine months).  The 'Back To The Light' album was released in September, reaching #2 in the UK.  I'll list the info when I return home in ten days
AUDIO   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmQpEnOUdrE&list=PLkvNP54Usc1Msdlo3ip09DO9wii8rd6I1)

« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 06:23:20 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1178 on: September 29, 2022, 06:22:38 AM »
I LOVED this VHS as a kid. I remember my dad getting it and I would watch it endlessly thinking how cool the whole concert was without really understanding the context behind it. I recently (within the past few years) re-watched and a few quick notes:

- Metallica kicked a truckload of ass here
- Extremes Queen medley was one of the highlights of the show IMO
- Guns N' Roses did a fantastic job, Axl was pretty good during the later half of the set as was James Hetfield's version of Stone Cold Crazy

Two more thoughts; I heard that the reason Innuendo was scrapped was at the request of Robert Planet and his dislike of his performance. I think he did an OK job and I wish it was included. I also thought that if there was a replacement of for Freddie in Queen then it should've been George Michael. He has the pipes, personality, and style to be a perfect fit in the band not to mention his performance of "Somebody To Love" being the climax of the entire show. I completely understand why it never happened but I think Queen could've been a stellar band with GM at the helm.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1179 on: September 29, 2022, 10:10:27 AM »

Well, I think in the early to mid 80's many people considered the flamboyancy as freakish. Mainstream regular gay people didn't seem to be part of the popular culture that it is today.

But I'm trying to stretch my memory here... its not like we didn't know or at least suspect Paul Lynde or Liberace (though he vehemently denied it) were gay.  Honestly, I think it was far LESS of a big deal back then than it is now or that it was perceived to be back then.  I grew up watching those kinds of shows - Hollywood Squareses, Match Game with my grandma and I remember at one point asking what "gay" was, my dad told me (I don't remember how) and I went off to play wiffle ball.  I thought (and still do think) that Paul Lynde was hilarious, and Liberace was a rock star on piano.  I think to some degree the "progress" is a double-edged sword.  Sure for the INDIVIDUALS it's probably better now (I only say "probably" because I can only suppose) but for the collective, is it?  I can't really pinpoint any hit to Queen's popularity specifically because Freddie was or was not gay.  I know certain actors and sports figures in particular fret over their sexuality coming out, but are those participants losing opportunities specifically because they are gay?  I think we've gotten to a point where we might be over-correcting a bit.   

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1180 on: September 30, 2022, 09:59:28 AM »

But I'm trying to stretch my memory here... its not like we didn't know or at least suspect Paul Lynde or Liberace (though he vehemently denied it) were gay.  Honestly, I think it was far LESS of a big deal back then than it is now or that it was perceived to be back then.  I grew up watching those kinds of shows - Hollywood Squareses, Match Game with my grandma and I remember at one point asking what "gay" was, my dad told me (I don't remember how) and I went off to play wiffle ball.   
This is my memory too.  I never thought of any of these people as freaks, and don't remember anyone else thinking that either.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1181 on: October 01, 2022, 04:52:18 AM »

But I'm trying to stretch my memory here... its not like we didn't know or at least suspect Paul Lynde or Liberace (though he vehemently denied it) were gay.  Honestly, I think it was far LESS of a big deal back then than it is now or that it was perceived to be back then.  I grew up watching those kinds of shows - Hollywood Squareses, Match Game with my grandma and I remember at one point asking what "gay" was, my dad told me (I don't remember how) and I went off to play wiffle ball.   
This is my memory too.  I never thought of any of these people as freaks, and don't remember anyone else thinking that either.

I tend to view some as just being a bit more ‘eclectic’ than others

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1182 on: October 01, 2022, 04:57:59 AM »
I LOVED this VHS as a kid. I remember my dad getting it and I would watch it endlessly thinking how cool the whole concert was without really understanding the context behind it. I recently (within the past few years) re-watched and a few quick notes:

- Metallica kicked a truckload of ass here
- Extremes Queen medley was one of the highlights of the show IMO
- Guns N' Roses did a fantastic job, Axl was pretty good during the later half of the set as was James Hetfield's version of Stone Cold Crazy

Two more thoughts; I heard that the reason Innuendo was scrapped was at the request of Robert Planet and his dislike of his performance. I think he did an OK job and I wish it was included. I also thought that if there was a replacement of for Freddie in Queen then it should've been George Michael. He has the pipes, personality, and style to be a perfect fit in the band not to mention his performance of "Somebody To Love" being the climax of the entire show. I completely understand why it never happened but I think Queen could've been a stellar band with GM at the helm.

I couldn’t find my original Word doc for my Tribute concert post, and had to scramble to get this up before departing.

Agree with your post. Plant’s performance was OK, and is available on YouTube. For charity reasons, he should have allowed it to be officially released

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1183 on: October 01, 2022, 06:59:58 AM »
I thought Axl Rose was horrendous.  I love that Tribute concert, but him getting two of the big spots near the end has always been a big stain for me.

Bowie and Annie Lennox doing Under Pressure was so good.  I loved how the audience loudly does the scatting before the second verse and you see Bowie smile at the crowd doing it.

George Michael singing Somebody to Love was THE highlight.  He slammed that not only out of the park, but out of the city.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Brian May may not be a traditional lead vocalist, but Too Much Love Will Kill You was damn good.  A very touching performance.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1184 on: October 01, 2022, 07:40:13 AM »

I tend to view some as just being a bit more ‘eclectic’ than others

Yeah, that's probably it.

I also thought that if there was a replacement of for Freddie in Queen then it should've been George Michael. He has the pipes, personality, and style to be a perfect fit in the band not to mention his performance of "Somebody To Love" being the climax of the entire show. I completely understand why it never happened but I think Queen could've been a stellar band with GM at the helm.

Not being a huge Queen fan, I guess I never contemplated who should've replaced Freddie, but this is a good call. Say what you want about George Michael, but that dude can sing.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1185 on: October 01, 2022, 07:52:08 AM »
To me it's like MM joining DT. It made the most sense, sure those other guys had the chops to play but MM fit in with DT, same region, similar tastes in music and the same stylistically.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1186 on: October 01, 2022, 08:31:07 AM »
George Michael was a hell of a singer, too bad I don't really care about his music.

Those Queen songs he sang were great. Would have liked too hear him take on some of the rockier stuff too.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1187 on: October 01, 2022, 02:04:19 PM »
The concert is one of my favorite concerts to watch. The passion, the life, the performances, just make it a magnificent experience. The singers they picked all sounded great, but I definitely agree that I was blown away and noticed George Michael more than many others.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1188 on: October 03, 2022, 08:03:41 AM »
George Michael was a hell of a singer, too bad I don't really care about his music.

Those Queen songs he sang were great. Would have liked too hear him take on some of the rockier stuff too.

George Michael is top three singers in the "Wow can that man SING, but I wish he had better material through the years to work with!" list. 

I'm in the "Plant gets a short shrift" camp as well; I love that version of Innuendo; the "ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh!" section is an homage to Plant anyway...

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1189 on: October 03, 2022, 11:43:41 AM »
George Michael was, in addition to having the perfect timbre and sensibilities for this song, also additionally inspired to do it justice - his first partner and his first true love had been diagnosed with AIDS over the holidays of '91. GM couldn't really share what was going on with anyone, because he was still closeted, he hadn't even come out to his own family at the time, so he put all of that emotion into the performance. And what a performance :hefdaddy

I can't really watch the whole show in one bit because it's a lot! Last time, I started crying before the Queen set, when DL + BM play Now I'm Here :lol I usually hold off on the crying up to the Bohemian Rhapsody solo when Brian looks up from his guitar to the front of the stage and becomes suddenly aware of where he is and what he's doing, and he's so jarred he stops playing for a second. Then that's usually too much. :sadpanda:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 11:50:20 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise