Author Topic: QUEEN Discography- MONTREAL '81 in theaters near you  (Read 70358 times)

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography - The MIRACLE LP Demo Versions
« Reply #1085 on: September 14, 2022, 07:05:10 PM »
a beautiful picture of the band during 'The Miracle' sessions with Elaine Paige

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography - The CROSS 'Mad Bad and Dangerous To Know' LP
« Reply #1086 on: September 14, 2022, 07:08:31 PM »
deleted
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 10:04:09 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1087 on: September 14, 2022, 07:12:24 PM »

Looks like the picture of my teachers in my junior high yearbook..

L-R..

Science, Gym, History, English, Math
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1088 on: September 14, 2022, 07:19:32 PM »

Looks like the picture of my teachers in my junior high yearbook..

L-R..

Science, Gym, History, English, Math

Sorry, but the Astrophysicist is/was the science guy :D

Roger as gym, John as History, and Elaine as English fit.  Freddie would have been Home Ec ;) (and nothing wrong with that.....).  Wish I'd have had it offered to guys in HS.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 08:58:18 PM by DragonAttack »

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography - QUEEN Live At The BEEB
« Reply #1089 on: September 14, 2022, 10:04:30 PM »
LIVE AT THE BEEB

Released: December 4, 1989 UK, Band of Joy ("by arrangement with BBC Records and Tapes and EMI Records Ltd")
1995 in the U.S. (Hollywood Records)

Charts:  UK #67

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_the_Beeb_(Queen_album)

Musicians:
Freddie Mercury - vocals, piano
John Deacon - bass guitar
Roger Taylor - drums, percussion, vocals
Brian May - guitars, piano, vocals
Produced by: Bernie Andrews
Recorded: February 5, 1973 (tracks 1 - 4), December 3, 1973 (tracks 5 - 8) at Langham 1 Studios, London

AUDIO    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufuC1TkrJBo&list=PLwabi2I8vclLFDBVNDUdYiaMA_6xB8Om3

SIDE ONE
My Fairy King
Keep Yourself Alive
Doing All Right
Liar

SIDE TWO
Ogre Battle
Great King Rat
Modern Times Rock'n'Roll
Son And Daughter

Discussed all the way back on page 2 of this thread.

From The London Times review in '89:

"All eight of the tracks here, including "Keep Yourself Alive" and " Liar", subsequently turned up on Queen's first two albums, but were first recorded at the BBC and broadcast on the Radio One show Sounds of the 70s. The under-resourced production is barely able to cope with the group's wildly ambitious, progressive rock arrangements. The sleeve notes, which are almost as far over the top as Freddie Mercury's grand designs, declare this to be "a major milestone in the annals of rock." It is in fact an amusing curiosity, likely to be of some interest to dedicated fans of an archivist bent."

A shame it was not a double LP, offering more of the BBC sessions.  It would take another twenty five years before the fan base would have the entire set of sessions officially released.

Of note:  the first Queen release not to be certified Gold (or Platinum) in the UK.

Hearing 'Son And Daughter' decades ago, as well as the 'we have lift off' line in 'Liar' were big time thrills all those years ago.

Below is the cover of the Hollywood Records release, first making its appearance in the store shelves over here in the States in 1995.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 01:34:22 AM by DragonAttack »

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography - 1989 / 90 collaborations
« Reply #1090 on: September 14, 2022, 10:30:03 PM »
BRIAN MAY

Holly Johnson   "Love Train"   Blast   

Living in a Box   "Blow the House Down"   Gatecrashing   

Black Sabbath   "When Death Calls"   Headless Cross        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78YRHNQSR2s

Fuzzbox   "Self!"   Big Bang!   

Artists United for Nature   "Yes We Can"   Yes We Can  Earthrise – The Rainforest Album)   

ROGER TAYLOR
Sigue Sigue Sputnik   "Dancerama" (remix production)

BRIAN and ROGER
Rock Aid Armenia   "Smoke on the Water"    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tsw3nKDlBE   18 MILLION Views

BRIAN
Rock Against Repatriation   "Sailing"   Sailing

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography - The CROSS 'Mad, Bad, and Dangerous To Know' LP
« Reply #1091 on: September 14, 2022, 10:31:47 PM »
The CROSS  Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know

Released:  March 26, 1990 (EMI Electrola)

Charts:  UK #48
Singles:

Power To Love
Released:  April
Charts:  UK #83

Liar  b/w  In Charge Of My Heart  Germany only, DNC
Final Destination  b/w  Penetration Guru,  Germany only, DNC

Roger Taylor - lead & backing vocals, guitar
Spike Edney - keyboards, mandolin, backing vocals
Clayton Moss- lead guitar, backing vocals (lead vocals on "Better Things")
Peter Noone- bass guitar, backing vocals
Josh Macrae - drums, percussion, backing vocals

Recorded:   September–November 1989 at Mountain Studios, Montreux, Switzerland
Producer by The Cross and Justin Shirley Smith
Sleeve design by Stephen Bliss and Richard Gray

AUDIO  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNNnWeITUjc&list=PL3J8dPVJvABFD36CL0-lDlV8htZPrRvCi

SIDE ONE
Top Of The World, Ma (Moss, Taylor, Edney, Noone, Macrae)    3:31
Liar (Noone)    4:32
Closer To You (Edney)    3:15
Breakdown (Noone)    3:53
Penetration Guru (Moss)    3:45
Power To Love (Macrae/Noone/Moss)    4:03

SIDE TWO
Sister Blue (Noone)    4:13
Better Things (Moss)    2:45
Passion For Trash (Macrae)    2:35
Old Men (Lay Down) (Taylor)    4:52
Final Destination (Taylor)    3:36

Foxy Lady (Jimi Hendrix)    3:26 (CD version only)
The band met in the summer of ’89 (minus Roger) to work on their second album.  By the time he joined them in September after working on 'The Miracle',  they had almost the entire album written. 

“Top Of The World Ma’ and the extended version of ‘Power To Love’ are the highlights for me.

'Breakdown' is OK. 'Penetration Guru' is uhm….somewhat embarrassing lyric wise. 

‘Foxy Lady’….well, Freddie and Roger were big fans of Hendrix, no doubt the song was played a lot by them when roommates and partners at their Kensington Market store decades earlier.  It’s not a bad cover, Moss gets to show off a few chops, but….

‘Better Things’ is a slower tempo acoustic song with Clayton Moss providing some LVs.  ‘Passion For Trash’ is much more uptempo, and Moss actually rips a decent lead guitar for once.  Roger gets in a politcal tune with ‘Old Men Lay Down’, with a mellow start then more driving middle and ending.  The closing song ‘Final Destination’ would be a solo release years later with Japanese artist Yoki.  It’s a fair finish to a fair album.  Certainly way more powerful, stronger, and hard rockier than ‘Shove It’.

Following poor sales in the UK, the band were dropped by EMI.
The 7” singles had edited versions, and 12” releases had extended versions.  Of note are:

‘Power To Love’ ext version  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7fr_6kTtAc

..and its uncensored video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4PmuDBYV_Q

This extended version should have been on the album…..the added minute contains some great guitar in this slightly expanded instrumental section, and more chorus at the end.  And that extra guitar gives me goosebumps.  Such a stellar track.

Another nonalbum track......

‘In Charge Of My Heart’  7” version   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs6-zrnAyCw

12” version    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5_KDmTCWuc

Reportedly, this song was recorded during sessions for the Queen album 'The Miracle'. The ‘germ’ of it is sung by  Freddie near the ending of ‘Stealin' and during the twelve minute long demo.

As such, either version  should have found it’s way onto this album. 

And the long extended 'On Top Of The World Ma' finally released on Roger's 'The Lot'  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgPb2Gw4k1k .  Maybe it's a bit redundant, but damn, it kicks axe!  Could have cut a couple songs on side one for something like this that lasts seven plus minutes.   :tup

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1092 on: September 15, 2022, 02:26:03 AM »
I've gotten a bit behind in listening to the last few albums, sorry. Hot Space was so awful i didn't want to listen to anything by this band again...

Hot Space Cold Shit more like. Some Queen fans will tell you this isn’t all bad, there’s some hidden gems on here, but they’re clutching at straws. This is one for the WTF were they thinking file. They put Under Pressure on the end just to prevent it being an utter turkey. Horrible horrible horrible.

The Works Full disclosure, this is my favourite Queen album, I love it. I said earlier that Queen have never made a truly classic album, but I do think this is as close as they ever got. The 80s drum sound is dated, but honestly, there are many 80s albums that are a lot worse. And where’s the love for Keep Passing the Open Windows? That’s a great song, pure Freddie. What’s not to love about this album? Why isn’t it regarded more highly? The song writing is on top form throughout, they really are firing on all cylinders here.

A Kind of Magic I believe this was Queen’s best selling album (not counting GH, obvs), but it’s far from the best. One Vision and the title track are great singles, Who Wants to Live Forever has a certain camp grandeur to it, but much of the rest is pure filler, and frankly not that good. The Highlander stuff just doesn’t work that well. It’s all over the place stylistically, and there’s just not enough A-list material here.

The Miracle An overlooked classic, but very much an album of two halves. Lots of solid (if not classic) songs that stick closely to the established formula, but elsewhere new producer David Richards seems to indulge the band too much, resulting in the weakest two songs on the album being the first two. Not sure what they were thinking leading with that, but it didn’t work. That decision hurt the album, imo, as did the fact the band didn’t tour it. It’s a lot better than it’s reputation suggests though, and it sounds great on headphones. Rain Must Fall is awful, it was dated even then and sounds like Miami Sound Machine or something.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography - 1989 / 90 collaborations
« Reply #1093 on: September 16, 2022, 08:31:46 AM »
BRIAN MAY

Black Sabbath   "When Death Calls"   Headless Cross        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78YRHNQSR2s

Hard to notice it's Brian til the end of the instrumental.  I didn't realize that Cozy Powell was a Black Sabbath member on this LP

BRIAN and ROGER
Rock Aid Armenia   "Smoke on the Water"    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tsw3nKDlBE   18 MILLION Views

Thought this might get a comment or two. 

In 1989, artists from Pink Floyd, Queen, Rush, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Yes, Iron Maiden, Free and others joined forces to raise funds for people affected by the Armenian earthquake. Kerrang called it "the greatest array of hard rock talent every assembled". (quoting the youtube post)

Organised by Jon Dee, the remake featured David Gilmour, Brian May, Tony Iommi, Ritchie Blackmore, Alex Lifeson and Chris Squire on guitars. On vocals it had Ian Gillan, Bruce Dickinson, Paul Rogers and Bryan Adams. Keith Emerson and Geoff Downes played the keyboards and Roger Taylor played the drums.

This is the official promo video for the 2010 Wermut & Dee remix of the track. The song was released worldwide - it successfully raised funds to rebuild a children's music school in Gyumri in the Armenian earthquake zone. Today the new school teaches music to 220 children a year!

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1094 on: September 16, 2022, 04:43:47 PM »
my catching up on catching up...

I've gotten a bit behind in listening to the last few albums, sorry. Hot Space was so awful i didn't want to listen to anything by this band again...

Hot Space Cold Shit more like. Some Queen fans will tell you this isn’t all bad, there’s some hidden gems on here, but they’re clutching at straws. This is one for the WTF were they thinking file. They put Under Pressure on the end just to prevent it being an utter turkey. Horrible horrible horrible.

I'm not going to disagree much with this.

The Works Full disclosure, this is my favourite Queen album, I love it. I said earlier that Queen have never made a truly classic album, but I do think this is as close as they ever got. The 80s drum sound is dated, but honestly, there are many 80s albums that are a lot worse. And where’s the love for Keep Passing the Open Windows? That’s a great song, pure Freddie. What’s not to love about this album? Why isn’t it regarded more highly? The song writing is on top form throughout, they really are firing on all cylinders here.

'Windows' is one of my all time favorites, and that's what would have been my choice as the first single from the album.  Adding a couple tracks released in 2014 back at the time would have helped it even more.

A Kind of Magic I believe this was Queen’s best selling album (not counting GH, obvs), but it’s far from the best. One Vision and the title track are great singles, Who Wants to Live Forever has a certain camp grandeur to it, but much of the rest is pure filler, and frankly not that good. The Highlander stuff just doesn’t work that well. It’s all over the place stylistically, and there’s just not enough A-list material here.

Surprisingly, it was the their biggest selling studio LP in the UK *, topping ANATO by a couple hundred thousand.  Four months in the Top Ten, sixty two weeks in the charts! There's little doubt the carryover of 'Live Aid' and the stadium tours played a big part in those sales, but those numbers are still damn impressive (and surprising). Agreeing with all your comments here as well, other than not including 'Princes Of The Universe' as a highlight.

* if one doesn't count 'Made In Heaven' as a 'Queen' album.

The Miracle An overlooked classic, but very much an album of two halves. Lots of solid (if not classic) songs that stick closely to the established formula, but elsewhere new producer David Richards seems to indulge the band too much, resulting in the weakest two songs on the album being the first two. Not sure what they were thinking leading with that, but it didn’t work. That decision hurt the album, imo, as did the fact the band didn’t tour it. It’s a lot better than it’s reputation suggests though, and it sounds great on headphones. Rain Must Fall is awful, it was dated even then and sounds like Miami Sound Machine or something.

Agree as to the openers, and showing my age, thought that parts of 'Rain Must Fall' (other than Brian's saving grace guitar) sounded like something from The Jackson Five.  Yup, album could have been stronger, considering just how good the non album B-sides are.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 02:00:20 AM by DragonAttack »

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography - 1990 BRIT Awards
« Reply #1095 on: September 16, 2022, 05:00:46 PM »
1989 BRIT AWARDS
for 'Top Band of the 80s'  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De6oqlKkl_M  only 50 seconds

1990 BRIT AWARDS

Career Award  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvKxiK1vxIQ

The highlights are Peter Ustinov, John Entwhiste, Roger Daltry, Phil Collins, Jeff Beck, and Bob Geldof comments.  And the video montage.
Freddie’s final appearance and words on stage.  This was gut wrenching to see the first time for me in the late 90s.  After going through their discography and concertography over these past eight months, knowing that I’d have to watch it again at some point, this was a painful viewing today.

Afterwards, at Queen's 20th Anniversary 'celebration'

David Gilmour

Lisa Minelli

George Michael

Rod Stewart

Bob Geldof

The final night that all members of Queen would be seen together in public.

in an hour or so....their 'final' album
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 05:19:07 PM by DragonAttack »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1096 on: September 16, 2022, 05:36:14 PM »
Is that a Monopoly cake?? 

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1097 on: September 16, 2022, 05:48:08 PM »
TAC asking the important questions.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography - INNUENDO 45 release
« Reply #1098 on: September 16, 2022, 07:08:12 PM »
.....uhm, instead of a stink eye, I'll just move onwards  ;).......

INNUENDO  b/w Bijou       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2N0TkfrQhY    61 MILLION Views
Released:  January 14, 1991 UK (Parlophone),  March  USA (radio promo only)

Charts: UK #1, USA (#17 on Mainstream rock)
Portugal #1, Eurochart #3, Finland #3, Italy #3, Switzerland #3, Ireland #4, Netherlands #4, Germany #5, Spain #6, Belgium #8, New Zealand #10, Austria #12, Australia #28

Certifications:  Silver in UK, Gold in Italy

(in the States, ‘Headlong’ was the first radio promo of the LP in January)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innuendo_(song)

Written by Queen
Produced by Queen and David Richards

Freddie Mercury – lead and backing vocals, keyboards
Brian May – electric guitar, classical guitar
Roger Taylor – drums, percussion
John Deacon – bass guitar

Additional musicians
David Richards – keyboard programming, and...

Steve Howe – classical guitars and Spanish guitar solos

2015 interview regarding his involvement
https://bravewords.com/news/yes-steve-howe-recalls-playing-on-queens-innuendo-they-said-we-want-you-to-play-on-that-why-dont-you-race-around-like-paco-de-lucia

and later in 2021  https://www.metalcastle.net/steve-howe-recalls-how-he-played-guitar-on-classic-queen-album-instead-of-brian-may/

Queen's third #1 single in the UK, following 'Bohemian Rhapsody' and 'Under Pressure. Once again, a great lead off single, their longest one yet at six and a half minutes.  One of their best efforts over their two decades, with ominous and foreboding lyrics.  The album of the same name would follow shortly.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 10:49:59 AM by DragonAttack »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1099 on: September 16, 2022, 08:44:31 PM »
1990 BRIT AWARDS

The highlights are Peter Ustinov, John Entwhiste, Roger Daltry, Phil Collins, Jeff Beck, and Bob Geldof comments.  And the video montage.
Freddie’s final appearance and words on stage.

Wow!

That was really weird. Both Brian and Roger looked like they were going to bust out crying at any time.
Freddie was remarkably and uncomfortably quick at the microphone.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1100 on: September 16, 2022, 08:48:06 PM »
1990 BRIT AWARDS

Wow!

That was really weird. Both Brian and Roger looked like they were going to bust out crying at any time.

I had never seen that before.  Brian May definitely was doing his best when speaking to keep it together.  I never realized how tall he was (big hair notwithstanding).

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1101 on: September 17, 2022, 03:33:53 PM »
just settling in after reserving space for my 5th preshow hosting / cohosting of a Dream Theater related event....this time for JP and MP in DC on October 15th.  One block from the Lincoln Center.  It'll be an unofficial official gathering.

anyhoo......comments and the album some time before the end of the evening.

"Hold it now! Wait a minute
Come on!
Just let me catch my breath..."

one can always start listening to 'Innuendo'  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTPKwcUNBpI&list=PL-Dlrh3xUEoRMSSJweUWULYrh22NTKRUu

EDIT....added after the 'Innuendo' listing

1990 BRIT AWARDS

Wow!

I had never seen that before.  Brian May definitely was doing his best when speaking to keep it together.  I never realized how tall he was (big hair notwithstanding).

Looking back at the awards....that night and leading up to it had to have been hell.  The stories they had to spin.  And what was said to the guests before and after.  You see Freddie in control at 'Live Aid', the following year on the same stage at Wembley, the various photos with Montserrat and Elaine Paige in '88, .....and then the ones from early '90.

The guests (and Steve Howe for 'Innuendo'):  none of them went to the press afterwards, so they all chose these friends and attendees wisely.

The following year, aboard the Queen Elizabeth II for their launch party for signing with Hollywood Records  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GreL9Suzpbs&t=1141s  (very amateur footage), a couple of friends who attended spoke of Brian saying that Freddie was not attending due to a sore throat after the strenuous and exhausting 'Innuendo' recording sessions (truth), that the 'band' was working on a European tour schedule (well, Roger with The Cross and Brian and John occasionally appearing with him), a tour of the States was being discussed (actually Brian going to radio stations to promote the album and playing along to various Queen songs)....so on and so on.

Oh, the dream of living the life of a rock star.....certainly not for them, not during those times...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 07:36:24 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1102 on: September 17, 2022, 03:58:41 PM »
The song Innuendo remains probably one of my five favorite Queen songs.  Everything about it is just top notch.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1103 on: September 17, 2022, 05:56:34 PM »
The song Innuendo remains probably one of my five favorite Queen songs.  Everything about it is just top notch.

No argument there :tup  With that great recommendation to build on, here's the rest of the album......

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography - INNUENDO LP
« Reply #1104 on: September 17, 2022, 06:12:55 PM »
INNUENDO

Released:  February 4, 1991 UK (Parlaphone), US (Hollywood)

Charts: UK #1, USA #30

#1 in Finland, Germany, Netherlands, Portugal, and Switzerland
Austria #2, Hungary #3, Australia #6, New Zealand #6, Norway #8, France #9, Sweden #9, Canada #16

2006:  Italy #66
2011: Belgium #73
2021: Poland #62

Certifications:  Platinum in UK, Gold in USA
Gold in Argentina, Canada, Finland, Italy,
Platinum in Austria, France, Germany, Mexico, Netherlands, Poland, Spain
2x Platinum in Switzerland   

Singles:
Innuendo b/w Bijou  91 MILLION VIEWS
Released:  January 14, UK, March  USA (radio promo only)
Charts: UK #1, USA (#17 on Mainstream rock) already posted
I’m Going Slightly Mad b/w The Hitman  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od6hY_50Dh0   40 MILLION Views
Released:  March 4 UK

Charts:  UK #22
Netherlands #13, Ireland #19, Belgium #39, Germany #42, Eurochart #51
Headlong b/w All God’s People    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhyaAPsT1LU  13 MILLION Views
Released:  January USA (radio promo only)  MAY UK ,   

Charts:  UK #14, USA Billboard Mainstream Rock #3
Netherlands #4, Canada #25, Ireland #25
The Show Must Go On  b/w Keep Yourself Alive   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t99KH0TR-J4    213 MILLION Views
Released: October 14

Charts:  UK #16, USA (DNC)
France #2, Italy #5, Netherlands #6, West Germany #7, Switzerland #11, Finland #15, Ireland #17, Europe #19, New Zealand #20, Belgium #22, Sweden #30, USA Mainstream Rock #40, Australia #75
2022:  Poland #74

Certifications:  Gold in UK, Gold in USA
Silver in France
Platinum in Italy
These Are The Days Of Our Lives (video and comments for a separate post in a week or so)

Freddie Mercury - vocals, keyboards
Brian May - guitars, keyboards, harmonies, vocals
Roger Taylor - drums, percussion, keyboards, harmonies, vocals
John Deacon - bass guitar, keyboards

Mike Moran - keyboards on All God's People
Steve Howe - additional wandering minstrel Spanish guitar - Somewhere In The Middle - on Innuendo
David Richards - computer programming

Produced by:
Queen and David Richards.
Recorded:
March 1989 - November 1990 at Metropolis Studios, London, and Mountain Studios, Montreux.
Original artwork by Grandville, adapted by Richard Gray

AUDIO   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTPKwcUNBpI&list=PL-Dlrh3xUEoRMSSJweUWULYrh22NTKRUu
Includes 2011 bonus disc

A very thorough and correct wiki page as to the background and writers of each song
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innuendo_(album)

CD
1. Innuendo  6:31
2. I'm Going Slightly Mad  4:22
3. Headlong  4:38
4. I Can't Live With You  4:33
5. Don't Try So Hard  3:39
6. Ride The Wild Wind  4:43       
7. All God's People (Queen/Moran) 4:21
8. These Are The Days Of Our Lives  4:16
9. Delilah  3:35
10. The Hitman  4:57
11. Bijou  3:37
12. The Show Must Go On  4:31

2011 Universal bonus disc
I Can't Live with You (‘97 Rocks Version) /    Lost Opportunity (B-side to I'm Going Slightly Mad / Ride The Wild Wind (Roger guide vocal) / I'm Going Slightly Mad (Mad mix) / Headlong (Brian guide vocal)   
Very nice to have what was included.  What’s missing are the available demos for ‘Headlong’, ‘Delilah’, and ‘The Hitman’.  The demo for ‘All God’s People’ was mentioned in ‘The Miracle Demos’ post. Other demos for songs that were not completed during this time were ‘Affairs’, ‘Grande Dame’, ‘Assassin’ (long rumored existence as the title track demo), ‘My Secret Fantasy’, ‘Robbery’, and ‘Self Made Man’. 

All but ‘Assassin’ are included in the 12”/demo post upcoming.

Note:  a vinyl LP was released.  The tracklist was different, as they butchered many songs to make the album  fit on one vinyl.  It’s listed on wiki if you are interested for the curiousity seeker.  The completist in me had to have it at one time.  What a waste!

First, a great and appealing cover and artwork.  Nice sleeve with band pic and drawings of them.  Yet, quite apprehensive during my first listen to this with my best friend, considering the letdowns of the prior decade.  And then we immediately listened to it again!

Well, to be honest, we might have skipped over Freddie’s ode to a cat (that Roger walked out on during its recording).

From the epic opening title song (with its homage to Led Zeppelin’s ‘Kashmir’ and the Spanish guitar by Steve Howe) to an absolutely fantastic finale (minus one song of disappointing silliness that Roger walked out on), this was an album that took me back to their glory days of the 70s. 

A handful of actual hard driving tunes (a couple that were slated for Brian’s solo LP), an obvious Roger tune, some great change of pace mellow ones (with one not so obviously done by Roger), and the clever metaphors of one that had to be Freddie going crazy.  And lots of Queenish BVs. And Brian’s hard driving and mellow lead guitar throughout, just as on the prior album.  But this time, the songs were better.

Also….other than hearing ‘One Vision’ and ‘I Want It All’ on occasion over the previous five years on the radio, ‘Headlong’ was getting a lot of airplay (it was released in the States first).  At the same time, the title track and ‘The Show Must Go On’ were being played.  Even heard positive comments from friends and coworkers who knew of my semi-fanaticism, along with requests for taped copies.

No, it is not the magic and wizardry of their early albums.  Hearing the synthesizer makes that quite obvious.  But it is damn good, nee, a great album. They brought their craft and maturity and truly gave it their all on this.  It is considered by many as their favorite, and understandably so.  Generally agreed upon as their best since 'The Game' or earlier.

Does not sound dated.  It has aged quite well.

With something this good, they just had to find their way to touring the States again.  A night or two at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit were in my plans, and/or Chicago.  Certainly multiple nights at Madison Square Garden and The LA Forum (or a stadium or two) would be worth the airfare.

Little did I know at the time………..

« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 10:51:33 AM by DragonAttack »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1105 on: September 17, 2022, 07:03:43 PM »
Here are the Spotify numbers...

Innuendo

1. Innuendo....75m
2. I'm Going Slightly Mad....38.2m
3. Headlong....45.7m
4. I Can't Live Without You....15.6m
5. Don't Try So Hard....6.8m
6. Ride The Wild Wind....3.9m
7. All God's People....2.7m
8. These Are The Days Of Our Lives....72.2m
9. Delilah....4.8m
10. The Hitman....3.3m
11. Bijou....6m
12. The Show Must Go On....322.6m

I want to listen again before I comment. I actually have this, but it's probably been at least 10 years since I've listened to it. I remember liking all of the singles when they came out in real time.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1106 on: September 18, 2022, 06:42:26 AM »
I didn't hear the '97 Rocks version of I Can't Live With You until a few years later, but I think it is vastly superior to the studio version. That was always one of my least favorites from the album, but that version elevates it.

Delilah is the only slight clunker here, but I can sometimes enjoy it when doing full album listens.

Everything else is a keeper.  As I already mentioned, the title track is a top 5 Queen tune for me, and other major favorites for me are Headlong, I'm Going Slightly Mad, Ride the Wild Wind and Don't Try So Hard.

Top 3 Queen album in my book.  :hat :hat

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1107 on: September 18, 2022, 08:00:27 AM »
Here are the Spotify numbers…

12. The Show Must Go On....322.6m

Kinda wonder how much of this is through the misconstrued meaning of this song. A lot of people think this is Freddie’s goodbye song, though that was actually an album before with Was It All Worth It?.

Innuendo is a great album. There’s a few I could live without, but it’s a great album.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1108 on: September 18, 2022, 11:34:07 AM »
It's not Freddie's goodbye song, but it's Brian's (and the rest of the band's) song about Freddie dealing with the end of his life. So I'd say the meaning is pretty close to correct.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1109 on: September 19, 2022, 06:44:48 AM »
I didn't hear the '97 Rocks version of I Can't Live With You until a few years later, but I think it is vastly superior to the studio version. That was always one of my least favorites from the album, but that version elevates it.

Delilah is the only slight clunker here, but I can sometimes enjoy it when doing full album listens.

Everything else is a keeper.  As I already mentioned, the title track is a top 5 Queen tune for me, and other major favorites for me are Headlong, I'm Going Slightly Mad, Ride the Wild Wind and Don't Try So Hard.

Top 3 Queen album in my book.  :hat :hat

I'm with you on all that.  And even Delilah; I know it blows (and it sticks out a lot more here because it's so different) but to me, who has in the past complained about some of the eclecticism of Queen, this is no different than "Bring Back That Leroy Brown" or "Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon".   

But this is a record that has endured.  I LOVE Innuendo - and it has to be mentioned: I LOVE the Robert Plant version, and while I often chide others to not speculate, I let my imagination run wild and to me that is Plant - one of the greatest of all time, and he knows it - paying homage to one of the very, very few front men/singers who can compete with him.   I love "Ride The Wild Wind".  The vocal in "Don't Try So Hard" is one of Freddie's best (that is such a moving song to me).  And of course, even if it is Brian's song, for Freddie to sing it had to still be an emotional, emotional experience, knowing that it came directly from the heart of his friend and handmate for over 20 years.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1110 on: September 19, 2022, 04:03:01 PM »
This is my first full listen to this album in over 15 years easily. And even then, I'd only heard it a handful of times. Other than the singles, most of it is still a tad unfamiliar to me.

Innuendo...I am not a mid tempo guy, but Freddie is simply mesmerizing. I've said a few timesin recent reviews that i wish 1970's Queen had recorded this song or that song, and here, we get ANOTO Queen, especially in the mid section. Nice to hear organic drums.

I'm Going Slightly Mad...I remember this song from when it came out, and I always thought it was kind of cool. Has a Deacon song style to it.

Headlong...Obviouslty I remember this. Awesome tune. This young metal head loved this even then.

I Can't Live With You...This is a cool support track that I always kind of liked. Can't place the opening riff though. Something from Kiss I think.

Don't Try So Hard...What a great vocal. I'd actually love to hear 1980 Pat Benatar sing this.
Great solo by Brian.

Ride The Wild Wind...This sounds like 80's Queen. Nice driving bassline. Not a bad song.

All God's People...More 80's Queen, and not really a compliment.

These Are The Days Of Our Lives...Really touching song. Just wonderful. Hard not to feel sad listening to it. The video is heartbreaking.

Delilah...nah it can't be that bad can it... er..

The Hitman....Hell yes!!!! One of my favorite Queen songs before this countdown. Just love the metal in it. Brian crushes this whole track. Sounds like something off of Kiss' Animalize.

Bijou....Michael Schenker, is that you??

The Show Must Go On.... :hefdaddy

This is really a classic Queen album and is an extension of their late 70's output. I really wished they were as focused throughout the 80's as they were for this album.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEEN discography - The MIRACLE LP
« Reply #1111 on: September 20, 2022, 04:55:40 AM »
The Miracle

Party-Damn there's those 80's electric drums again. This would've been way better in 1974.

Khashoggi's Ship-Is this a Billy Squier cover? :lol   This isn't half bad. Has a Zeppelin feel to it for sure.

The Miracle- I have literally never heard this before right now. Even with a great vocal, it starts a bit iffy, but this song wins in the end. Freddie is great on this. Really nice, considering what was going on with him. Nice playing by Brian on this.

I Want It All- I'm well familiar with this. I liked it when it was released.

The Invisible Man- 42m streams?? I've never heard this. I hope that's legit John Deacon on that bass line. If so...amazing! Not sure what to make of this. It's kind of quirky.

Breakthru- 52m streams?? What? never heard this before either! The "If I could only reach you..." part reminds me of Don Henley's Boys Of Summer.

Rain Must Fall- WTF? it's like if Herbie Hancock and Billy Ocean had a baby. This sounds familiar, but maybe it's because it sounds like so many 80's songs.

Scandal-Yay, Duran Duran makes an appearance. I like Freddie here.

My Baby Does Me-No surprise John has a big hand in this. This one started out a bit iffy too, but it's a smokey groovy thing. I needed Brian's solo to go longer though. This ended way too quick.

Was It All Worth It- Um, the answer is yes. This is a great song. This is the best song on the album.

Hang On In There- This is interesting and easily could've made the album.

Hijack My Heart- This actually isn't that bad. This was made for Rod Stewart. Left to his own devices, I can't say I'm a huge Roger fan. His music is a bit odd.

Stealin'-Jeesh, this is really interesting. It really is. Damn cool.

lyrics on other side of sleeve

This is a great pic of the band.

I'd commented earlier regarding 'The Boys of Summer' line, but not on the rest.  I had assumed there were a few songs you would enjoy, and would rip most of the rest (somewhat deservedly so).  I'm glad you enjoyed it, along with those should have made the cut B-sides.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1112 on: September 20, 2022, 05:03:52 AM »
What a great album this is. And the title track might be my favourite Queen song ever.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1113 on: September 20, 2022, 10:52:18 AM »
This is my first full listen to this album in over 15 years easily. And even then, I'd only heard it a handful of times. Other than the singles, most of it is still a tad unfamiliar to me.

Innuendo...I am not a mid tempo guy, but Freddie is simply mesmerizing. I've said a few timesin recent reviews that i wish 1970's Queen had recorded this song or that song, and here, we get ANOTO Queen, especially in the mid section. Nice to hear organic drums.

I'm Going Slightly Mad...I remember this song from when it came out, and I always thought it was kind of cool. Has a Deacon song style to it.

Headlong...Obviouslty I remember this. Awesome tune. This young metal head loved this even then.

I Can't Live With You...This is a cool support track that I always kind of liked. Can't place the opening riff though. Something from Kiss I think.

Don't Try So Hard...What a great vocal. I'd actually love to hear 1980 Pat Benatar sing this.
Great solo by Brian.

Ride The Wild Wind...This sounds like 80's Queen. Nice driving bassline. Not a bad song.

All God's People...More 80's Queen, and not really a compliment.

These Are The Days Of Our Lives...Really touching song. Just wonderful. Hard not to feel sad listening to it. The video is heartbreaking.

Delilah...nah it can't be that bad can it... er..

The Hitman....Hell yes!!!! One of my favorite Queen songs before this countdown. Just love the metal in it. Brian crushes this whole track. Sounds like something off of Kiss' Animalize.

Bijou....Michael Schenker, is that you??

The Show Must Go On.... :hefdaddy

This is really a classic Queen album and is an extension of their late 70's output. I really wished they were as focused throughout the 80's as they were for this album.

Your inner king came through in your review of the first song ;) 'Mad'...it's all Freddie and Peter Straker silliness. 

I don't know why you'd want Pat Benatar to sing something when you've already got Freddie (unless as a duet).  The rest I'll simply say 'yes sir' :tup.  Spot on! 

Glad you enjoyed the listen.

And the Spotify numbers were as just about as expected...though TSMGO was even higher than I had expected.

FWIW....when I wrote my short review, I hadn't listened to this album since last November.  I wanted to write it with the joy I felt back when it was released. 

Sunday's listen was the same as most since late '91....the sadness of that time crashes through no matter how hard I (and my wife) try not to let it happen...especially hearing 'Bijou' along with 'The Show Must Go On'. That guitar is so sweeping, as well as 'weeping'. The lyrics obviously took on a whole different meaning throughout the album. One or two songs at a time are fine, all at once is rather difficult. 

What a great album this is. And the title track might be my favourite Queen song ever.

I have 'Bohemian Rhapsody', 'Procession / Father To Son', and then a dozen or so tied for 3rd. ;)  This is certainly one of those :tup

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1114 on: September 20, 2022, 12:56:44 PM »
Great, great album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1115 on: September 20, 2022, 02:37:10 PM »
Made In Heaven notwithstanding, I'm going to start listening back to the catalog so I can do my rankings.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1116 on: September 20, 2022, 07:07:24 PM »
I don't know why you'd want Pat Benatar to sing something when you've already got Freddie (unless as a duet).

Well, I wasn't suggesting we replace Freddie's vocals with Pat Benatar's, but in the beginning especially, it reminded me of her early albums and I thought of her right away.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1117 on: September 20, 2022, 09:47:24 PM »
So it seems I'm the only one here, who doesn't think Innuendo is that great.

The title track and Show Must Go On are among the best songs the band has recorded, but eveything in between is just okay I guess, it never really clicked with me.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1118 on: September 21, 2022, 05:48:45 AM »

The title track and Show Must Go On are among the best songs the band has recorded, but eveything in between is just okay I guess, it never really clicked with me.

'Just okay' is better than the overall consensus of their 80s output, so there's nothing wrong with that opinion.

I don't know why you'd want Pat Benatar to sing something when you've already got Freddie (unless as a duet).

Well, I wasn't suggesting we replace Freddie's vocals with Pat Benatar's, but in the beginning especially, it reminded me of her early albums and I thought of her right away.

Understood :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1119 on: September 21, 2022, 06:00:41 AM »

So for starters it has two of the best songs the band has ever recorded...

To me, what makes this album great are a couple of things...

1. The band seems more focused and together on this. The songs are more purposeful and feel more complete. The other 80's albums just feel more scattered.

2. It's basically a full return to actual instruments. Most of the electronic stuff has been removed. That was a huge hinderance for me of the 80's albums.