Author Topic: QUEEN Discography- MONTREAL '81 in theaters near you  (Read 70373 times)

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
Re: QUEEN discography
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2022, 12:59:34 AM »
Queen are what got me into music in general and the reason I started playing the guitar and singing.
Queen were, are, and always will be my favorite band.

White Queen (As It Began) is probably my favorite song from the early albums.
I even recorded an acoustic cover as a birthday gift for a friend a couple of years ago.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2022, 08:23:08 AM »
^
Regardless of the band, I truly enjoy hearing these types of stories.  Of course, the fact this is a Queen song, and a deep cut at that, gives me even more enjoyment. :tup

A note before the ‘upcoming’ live release.  Doing this discography as the events happened, rather than by release date, one might grow slightly fatigued at hearing many multiple versions of some songs.  One can always skip and come back to them in their order of release (I will make a two line post about ‘Rainbow’ near the end of this thread with page reference when the time comes).  Or you experience the changes as they occurred in 'real time'. 

As with the handful of live recordings released decades after they happened, it is a shame that most were not made available in the 90s, much less having to wait until the 2010s.  Many of us were getting third generation discs or cassette tapes of performances from the same tours. Though enjoyable, many were quite inferior.  But we were just glad to have something ‘new’.  Thanks to Fbook, I still keep in contact with some in the UK and Brazil that I purchased from/traded with in the 90s. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2022, 05:52:41 PM »
A note before the ‘upcoming’ live release.  Doing this discography as the events happened, rather than by release date, one might grow slightly fatigued at hearing many multiple versions of some songs.  One can always skip and come back to them in their order of release (I will make a two line post about ‘Rainbow’ near the end of this thread with page reference when the time comes).  Or you experience the changes as they occurred in 'real time'. 

You could always skip the studio stuff and just give us the live stuff! :lol

Seriously, the live stuff has been great so far. I'm just enjoying it, and any nuance or changes between the tracks aren't jumping out at me anyway. I'm just trying to get a handle on the material. But yes, definitely keep on giving the corresponding live material alongside each studio release.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2022, 05:54:52 PM »
You rang?   ;D

LIVE AT THE RAINBOW

Released:  September 8, 2014, UK (Virgin/EMI), USA (Hollywood)
Charts:  UK #11, US Hard Rock Albums #5, Billboard #66

Netherlands #7, Germany #9, Austria #12, Scotland #12, Belgium #13, Italy #15, Spain #17, Switzerland #19, Portugal #22, Hungary #34, Finland #40, Ireland #54, France #55

US Billboard Video Sales #2

The March and November 1974 Rainbow concerts were released together as a 2CD package.  To stay chronological, we’ll focus on the March 31st show here 

QUEEN are
Roger Taylor: Drums and Backing Vocals
Freddie Mercury: Lead Vocals and Piano
Brian May: Guitars and Backing Vocals
John Deacon: Bass Guitar and Backing Vocals
... and nobody played synthesizer

Management: Jim Beach
Executive Producers: Brian May and Roger Taylor
Mix Produced by Justin Shirley-Smith, Joshua J. Macrae and Kris Fredriksson

Recorded by Roy Thomas Baker and Mike Stone
March show mastered by Tim Young at Metropolis Mastering
Post Production Supervision: Kris Fredriksson and Justin Shirley-Smith
Design: Richard Gray
Picture Research: Richard Gray and Gary Taylor

1.  Procession (May)  1:15
2.  Father to Son (May)  6:08
3.  Ogre Battle (Mercury)  5:27
4.  Son and Daughter / Guitar Solo / Son And Daughter (reprise) (May)  7:58
7.  White Queen (As It Began) (May)  5:49
8.  Great King Rat (Mercury)  7:05
9.  The Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke (Mercury)  2:52
10. Keep Yourself Alive / Drum Solo / Keep Yourself Alive (Reprise) (May) 4:02
13. Seven Seas of Rhye (Mercury)  3:10
14. Modern Times Rock 'N' Roll (Taylor)  2:41
15. Jailhouse Rock / Stupid Cupid / Be-Bop-A-Lula / Jailhouse Rock (Reprise)   4:32
16. Liar (Mercury)  8:28
17. See What a Fool I've Been (May) 4:59

('Big Spender' and 'Bama Lama Bama Loo' were omitted.  They were played after 'Liar')         
1 hour 5 minutes

Queen was now a headlining act in early 1974.  At the 3000 seat sold out Rainbow Theater, the first of the Rainbow concerts was recorded by Roy Thomas Baker. Their management intended to release the Rainbow concert as the third album, which the band refused.  Eight of the songs performed would end up on the 1975 'Sheetkeeckers' bootleg.

This was one of the debut appearances for Freddie Mercury's Zandra Rhodes-designed 'eagle suit', and apparently marks the only live recording of ‘The Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke’.
Comments:   From the darkened theater with the tape of ‘Procession’ playing, as dry ice clouds billow on stage, followed by the bright white lights shining to the blasting first chords of ‘Father To Son’, you would be in for a treat (years later, concert reviewers would still write ‘never miss the beginning of a Queen concert!’ ..and weeks later, I would be there for the first time to bear witness :tup).  The band has certainly advanced in a short time. Freddie performs all the LVs,  An outstanding performance.  I can understand not releasing it in ’74, but it truly is a shame that is was not made available in the 90s.  A+

Slight complaints:  These later day issues always seemed to have the lower rung options picked for the album covers (and Queen is a band, not an individual).  I have no idea why ‘Son And Daughter’ and ‘Keep Yourself Alive’ are each divided into three segments.  Trivial… the chatter that introduces a song is at the end of the preceding one. 

Complete concert (with video of 'Son And Daughter' and 'Modern Times Rock n Roll' starting at 12:47...the only known video of the concert)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS1JkHVy0vM   

« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 05:18:19 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2022, 05:59:48 PM »
Joe, that looks awesome. I'm going to hit it tomorrow though. I'm having a Classic Metal Meltdown tonight! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2022, 06:09:43 PM »
'Svengoolie' and then some Rush for me tonight.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2022, 06:13:53 PM »
'Svengoolie' and then some Rush for me tonight.

What is Svengoolie?  :lol

Don't forget to do your Rush list for Kev!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #112 on: February 13, 2022, 02:31:06 PM »
So I watched the clip from Son And Daughter. Wow, that was powerful.

I ordered the double CD from Amazon.!! :metal

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2022, 10:42:42 AM »
^
You are going to make yourself and your wife very happy! :D

We listened to the March show again yesterday.  You should like the extra instrumental in 'Great King Rat'.  TFFMS is nice as something 'new', having had to wait decades to hear it.  I could tell the audience had that 'Pavlovian' moment at the end, waiting for 'Nevermore' to follow it.

BBC Session 4:  when you come back to these versions later on, or give Queen II a relisten, you may change your views a tad.  Especially when you get old ;)

Coming soon ;):  the band's successful initial venture to the States, and one man's living hell that saw it cut short.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 10:58:04 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2022, 08:29:18 AM »
Queen II USA Tour '74
After their headlining UK tour and BBC session, the band heads to the States for their second turn as the warm up band for Mott the Hoople.  The first performance is at the Regis College Field House, Denver CO on April 16th.  The set list for the most part would be:  Procession / Father To Son / Ogre Battle / Son And Daughter / Great King Rat / Liar / Keep Yourself Alive / Modern Times Rock 'n' Roll.  Encores were Big Spender / Bama Lama Bama Loo.

St. Bernard Parish Civic Auditorium New Orleans, April 21st   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8woEsfgBOWo  Quality: B 
The first available USA audience tape.  Worth it just to hear the person talking during ‘Procession’ and becoming quiet once the band hit the first notes of ‘Father To Son’. 

Palace Theatre, Providence, Rhode Island, April 27th   Attendance: 3,000.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pLTr3f1EZw   Quality: B
If you come across any Dan Lampinski audience tapes, as TAC has, give them a listen.  I just came across this a month ago.  He’s working out the bugs during ‘Procession’, but the sound is consistent afterwards. Queen puts their allotted 45 minutes to good use every night, and the pace of ‘Liar’, KYA and MTRnR is smoking!   

PORTLAND, Maine April 28  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4k0HUSAwC0  Quality: A- 
‘Great King Rat’ has been dropped, with ‘See What A Fool I’ve Been’ taking its place. Oh, to have had these two quality recordings decades ago! (other than some weird fan and his occasional ‘whistle’)

On to Harrisburg PA in May.  These people remember it much better than Brian and I do in many aspects😉
Aerosmith, Queen and Mott the Hoople: A fabulous night of music, but legendary only in hindsight
https://www.pennlive.com/entertainment/2014/04/aerosmith_queen_and_mott_the_h.html

Mott the Hoople and Queen then head to NYC for five consecutive nights at the Uris Theater.  No rock act had ever played a Broadway venue before this pairing. Being the opening act, Queen would be the first to do so.

Uris Theater, May 7th  Attendance ~2000   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0ZtqrBLhjA  Grade: B to B- (cut during Son And Daughter)
A rarity that both ‘Big Spender’ and ‘Jailhouse Rock’ were performed on the same night in the States.  And, as always, I enjoy hearing the crowd reaction at the first cords of ‘Father To Son’.  This one I did own in the 90s. :tup

On the final night, the band joins Mott on stage to sing BVs during ‘All The Young Dudes’.  What should have been an enjoyable finale changes quickly, as Brian becomes seriously ill.  Throughout the tour, Brian’s right arm had been bothering him, and he often looked pale.  Part of this was chalked up to their first American winter.  The band travels to Boston, where Brian is diagnosed with a severe attack of hepatitis. Queen's remaining eighteen concerts are scrapped (Kansas takes their place), and Brian is flown back to London on the 16th.

The band, road crew and anyone else who may have come into contact with Brian hastily inoculate themselves. He would be hospitalized on two different occasions that summer, the first in total isolation. There is nothing for the band to do but start writing songs for the third album. After rehearsing for a week, they start recording at Trident in mid July.  But it just isn't Brian's year. On August 2nd, he is rushed to the ER for surgery on a duodenal ulcer.  His long painful year may have all been related to the inoculations received before their one week trip to Australia in January.  Queen have to cancel their US tour planned for September, assuring  their British fans they still plan on touring the UK that fall.

From July onwards, recording continues at Trident, but it is a sporadic process. Sessions are frequently cancelled when Brian is too sick to attend, and when he does manage to turn up, his contributions are so below par that they have to be scrapped. As a result, the band decide it would be better to continue recording without him, and let him play his parts when his health improves. During this time, he was afraid that the band was going to drop him.  He was also approached by Spooky Tooth to join up with their group.  Fortunately for all involved, Queen remained 'as is', and their third studio album would be completed and released in November.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 08:12:47 AM by DragonAttack »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2022, 10:48:22 AM »
Queen II USA Tour '74

St. Bernard Parish Civic Auditorium New Orleans, April 21st   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8woEsfgBOWo  Quality: B 

Palace Theatre, Providence, Rhode Island, April 27th   Attendance: 3,000.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pLTr3f1EZw   Quality: B

PORTLAND, Maine April 28  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4k0HUSAwC0 Quality: A- 

Since getting a sneak peak yesterday, I've listened to these three shows. Damn, these are a treasure.

The New Orleans show is legit. What a spirited performance. Roger is insane on this. The sound is more than decent and was a great listen.

Yes, Dan Lampinski is a famous taper from this area, recording a ton of Rhode Island shows in the 70's.
Joe, he has a great capture of Alice in 1975 at the Providence Civic Center.

The Portland show is a great capture by Joe Maloney, who also recorded a ton of shows up here. He has a cool Alice '72 show from the U of Maine.

The Portland Queen show is outstanding quality.

I'm really loving this early era of the band.

The band travels to Boston, where Brian is diagnosed with a severe attack of hepatitis. Their remaining eighteen concerts are scrapped (Kansas takes their place), and Brian is flown back to London on the 16th.

The band, road crew and anyone else who may have come into contact with Brian hastily inoculate themselves. He would be hospitalized on two different occasions that summer, the first in total isolation. There is nothing for the band to do but start writing songs for the third album. After rehearsing for a week, they start recording at Trident in mid July.  But it just isn't Brian's year. On August 2nd, he is rushed to the ER for surgery on a duodenal ulcer.  His long painful year may have all been related to the inoculations received before their one week trip to Australia in January.  Queen have to cancel their US tour planned for September, but assure their British fans they plan on touring the UK that fall.

From July onwards, recording continues at Trident, but it is a sporadic process. Sessions are frequently cancelled when Brian is too sick to attend, and when he does manage to turn up, his contributions are so below par that they have to be scrapped. As a result, the band decide it would be better to continue recording without him, and let him play his parts when his health improves.

During this time, Brian was afraid that the band was going to drop him.  He was also approached by Spooky Tooth to join up with their band.  Fortunately for all involved, Queen remained 'as is', and their third studio album would be completed and released in November.

This is all interesting. The Queen Live website mentions that the Boston show on the 26th never happened because Ian Hunter was sick. Those pics of the band walking around the Boston Commons are priceless.

Seems they did play Providence the following night.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2022, 11:10:39 AM »
I edited my post after taking the wife to therapy, wrote to you personally, and then I saw your response.  So, what you quoted, and what I have now modified, may be different. 

The Dan Lampinski website is here:  http://www.rirocks.net/about.htm

My grades for audience recordings vary, as they do for others.  A later Queen performance he recorded is the gold standard I measure others against.  I also don't want to give too high of expectations to those who are used to what modern technology often provides via a phone.  The same goes with the era.  The New Orleans show is consistent, and as I mention far too often, I would have killed to have heard this in the 90s.  Hearing it on any good stereo system at a loud volume also helps :tup

A couple of other things to note about the UK 73 and USA 74 tours:  first, as the warm up band, and perhaps limited to the amount of stage set up, there is no piano.  So, there's no 'White Queen' or 'Seven Seas Of Rhye' in the set lists for the States.  The second item to note was the relationship between the bands. From all accounts, and various pictures of the tour on queenlive.ca, Mott treated them as friends.  They often dined and partied together, and didn't pull any of the BS that other headliners were notorious for.  The friendships seemed sincere, and Morgan Fisher would appear on tour with Queen later on.

I'll check out the Alice shows this week :tup

Tim.....I'm glad you're 'along for the ride' (another DT related comment in my next album review....)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 11:09:23 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2022, 01:33:13 PM »
Ah shit.  I'm listening to Sheer Heart Attack.  Am I ahead of the game?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2022, 02:07:23 PM »

I listened to it last night. I've never heard it and I wanted to get a bit of a head start.

I wouldn't look at it as ahead of the game., but more of a preparation for the next featured album.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2022, 03:56:53 PM »

No, you are correct, as 'Sheer Heart Attack' does come ahead of 'The Game' <bada boom ;)>

I have Friday night/Saturday morning scheduled for that album post.  Zoom meetings, and a fellow community Board member announcing his run for a 'to be vacant' County Council seat are taking a huge chunk of time out of my week.

That, and I'm waiting for an answer to a question I have regarding SHA.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 04:43:42 PM by DragonAttack »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #120 on: February 17, 2022, 04:26:42 PM »

No, you are correct, as 'Sheer Heart Attack' does come ahead of 'The Game' <bod a boom ;)>

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #121 on: February 17, 2022, 07:02:40 PM »
My Live At The Rainbow '74 came today! Listening to the March show tonight. :metal  This is a great recording. They are so heavy here. Like early Rush, really.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2022, 06:12:34 AM »

No, you are correct, as 'Sheer Heart Attack' does come ahead of 'The Game' <bada boom ;)>

I have Friday night/Saturday morning scheduled for that album post.  Zoom meetings, and a fellow community Board member announcing his run for a 'to be vacant' County Council seat are taking a huge chunk of time out of my week.

That, and I'm waiting for an answer to a question I have regarding SHA.

Maybe ask us as well?   

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2022, 02:05:34 PM »
^
I'm more than welcoming for comments, critiques, and corrections.  Just be gentle ;D

Contacting my friend of almost thirty years gives me the excuse of talking about the band and, of course, touching base with his life.  He runs the N.A. Convention trivia, and calls me every year to try and 'embarrass' me.  He is effective waaaay too often :D).  I would hate to see the blank look on my face at some of his questions.  And I'm glad that I'm not sitting in a chair, as I was eons ago, trying to answer some of what his devious mind comes up with :hefdaddy

I tell him what is too hard, what could and should be reworded, and credit him with questions I have absolutely no clue about, but think are fair. 

He told me I would have had the high preliminary score a couple of the time over the past decade.  That, and three dollars, makes for a damn good cup of coffee.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 08:29:40 AM by DragonAttack »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #124 on: February 18, 2022, 07:05:41 PM »
So ever since I heard Liar last week for the first time, there's a lick in Brian's solo that I know I've heard before. It's been killing me ever since as I have been unable to place it. Well, today, I solved my own personal mystery. It's the lick right here.

I know it's not exact, but this was what I was thinking of, played a bit faster.

I know right..what am I thinking? But it jumped out at me, what can I say.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: February 19, 2022, 08:34:09 AM »
Posting from my phone as my back decided to do its annual ‘remember me?’ bit. Album 3 Monday

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #126 on: February 19, 2022, 09:12:20 AM »
Posting from my phone as my back decided to do its annual ‘remember me?’ bit.

I can’t believe I’m about to do this.. but here goes…,

Well, at least that’s better than a sheer heart attack.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: February 19, 2022, 01:20:37 PM »
Posting from my phone as my back decided to do its annual ‘remember me?’ bit.

I can’t believe I’m about to do this.. but here goes…,

Well, at least that’s better than a sheer heart attack.

;D :tup
But I feel so inar-inar-inar-ticulate …

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: February 19, 2022, 10:16:07 PM »
So ever since I heard Liar last week for the first time, there's a lick in Brian's solo that I know I've heard before. It's been killing me ever since as I have been unable to place it. Well, today, I solved my own personal mystery. It's the lick right here.

I know it's not exact, but this was what I was thinking of, played a bit faster.

I know right..what am I thinking? But it jumped out at me, what can I say.

Well, this is near the end of the original https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu_ozjAu_vM  Perhaps you were thinking of the finale of SHA, as I even give it a mention for its 'Slade-ish' singalong ending.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: February 20, 2022, 08:25:39 AM »
SHEER HEART ATTACK

Released UK, November 1, 1974 (EMI):  USA, November 12, 1974 (Elektra)
Charts: UK #2 (25 weeks, 12 weeks Top Ten…it would chart again two more times, reaching #12); USA #12 (32 weeks),
Canada #6, France #6, Italy #6, Netherlands #7, Finland #7, Norway #9, Japan #23

Scotland #83

Certifications:  Platinum in UK, Gold in USA
Gold in Japan, Platinum in Poland

Singles: Killer Queen/Flick Of The Wrist   UK, October 12, 1974, #2 (Platinum): USA October 21, 1974, #12 in June ’75.  Australia #24, Austria #10, Canada #15, Ireland #2, Netherlands #3, Norway #2, West Germany #12

Now I’m Here / Lily Of The Valley   UK, January 17, 1975, #11: USA (not released).  Ireland #14, West Germany #25, Belgium #29, Netherlands #29, Japan #87

(Queen I would rechart in the UK for one week in January ‘75 at  #49. Queen II would rechart in the UK for three weeks in November ‘74, reaching #30, two weeks in February ’75, reaching #40)

ROGER TAYLOR - Drums, vocals, percussion, screams
FREDDIE MERCURY - Vocals, piano, jangle piano, vocal extravaganzas
JOHN DEACON - Bass guitar, double bass, acoustic guitar, almost all guitars on 'Misfire'
BRIAN MAY - Guitars, vocals, piano, genuine George Formby ukelele-banjo, guitar orchestrations

Equipment and crew supervision by John Harris.
Produced by Roy Thomas Baker and Queen.
Invaluable engineering by Mike Stone.
Special thanks to Geoff Workman.
Recorded at Trident, Wessex, Rockfield and Air Studios.

Composed, arranged and performed exclusively by Queen.
Art direction, photography by Mick Rock.
Sleeve concept by Queen.

No synthesizers.

SIDE ONE
Brighton Rock (May)  5:08
Killer Queen (Mercury)  3:01
Tenement Funster (Taylor)  2:48
Flick of the Wrist (Mercury)  3:19
Lily of the Valley (Mercury) 1:43
Now I'm Here (May)  4:10

SIDE TWO
In the Lap of the Gods (Mercury) 3:20
Stone Cold Crazy (MercuryMayTaylorDeacon)  2:12
Dear Friends (May) 1:07
Misfire (Deacon) 1:50
Bring Back That Leroy Brown (Mercury)  2:13
She Makes Me (Stormtrooper in Stilettoes)  (May)  4:08
In the Lap of the Gods...Revisited  (Mercury)  3:42

2011 Universal reissue bonus:
Now I'm Here (live at Hammersmith Odeon, December 1975) / Flick of the Wrist [BBC] /Tenement Funster [BBC] /
Bring Back That Leroy Brown (a cappella mix 2011) / In the Lap of the Gods...Revisited (live at Wembley Stadium, July 1986)

Comments:  A whopping 15 minutes for only two BBC bonuses from that time period.  An a cappella mix?  And the one minute snippet of ‘Gods’…from Wembley twelve years later!?!?  Made a lot of sense  :tdwn

A more appropriate offering would have included the other two BBC Session 5 songs (to be mentioned next).  Also available from this era were live versions of  ‘Now I’m Here’, ‘Flick of the Wrist’, and especially ‘Stone Cold Crazy’ and ‘In The Lap Of The Gods….revisited’ .  There are also demo versions of ‘Brighton F*ck’, ‘Killer Queen’, ‘Tenement Funster’, and ‘Gods….’  Even with all of the possible additions, there still have been room for an extended ‘Brighton Rock’ from ’75 or ’76 to be thrown in. 

As well as the stand alone versions of
 ‘Tenement Funster’,  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoKdVxbGt0I 
 ‘Flick Of The Wrist’,  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NerM2e3Ouo   , and
 ‘Lily Of The Valley’  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qAO0pXJGO8 

‘God Save The Queen’ was often sung by fans before Queen concerts. At the end of October, the band would record it, and play the tape at the end of all their concerts (sans one).  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqgDzKxPdi0

During this time, a title track was worked on.  Written by Roger, it was incomplete, but would be released later

As was the germ that would become ‘We Are The Champions’

The uninterrupted medley   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_taatvaBIuM 
'Killer Queen' video from ‘Top Of The Pops’   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZBtPf7FOoM

Carousel  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNhGVBSdFxk  twenty seconds of which opens the album

pictures from the four page insert with lyrics.  Liner notes on this had 'Rodger Taylor' on drums... well, it's still there ;)

« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 07:09:32 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: February 20, 2022, 08:35:36 AM »
Right off the bat, you know this is going to be different than their prior studio effort. Per Brian, the opening track was worked on and nearly completed for Queen II, but it did not fit the concept.  The chain from the prior album continues, the whistling of ‘I Do Like To Be Beside The Seaside’ with the backdrop ‘Carousel’ during the intro of ‘Brighton Rock’.  A little conversation of a summer romance as Freddie sings baritone and falsetto with Brian chiming in on LV.  The guitar solo that started in ‘Blag’, found a home and was expanded during the live performances of ‘Son And Daughter’,….  finds its studio home.  After this memorable two and three part solo (thanks to the harmonizing Echoplex) is the conclusion to the romance, and in later years would be the only vocal remnant of the song in concert.

Their first worldwide hit  ‘Killer Queen’ follows.  This would not chart in the USA until late spring of ’75. Unlike 'Black Queen', Freddie wrote this in a day.  A medley follows (good enough for Dream Theater to cover in the studio)  starting with Roger on LV and his gentle acoustic guitar before things get rocking during ‘Tenement Funster’.   Freddie’s first verbal bashing of their financial manager in ‘Flick Of The Wrist’ follows, a hard rocker with all the band trademarks.  The medley ends with Freddie’s lovely ‘Lily of the Valley’ (concluding his fantasyland of Rhye references), with many bits and pieces thrown into this sub two minute song. 

Then the first chords of ‘Now I’m Here’, (perhaps better as the Side Two opener (?)) Brian’s homage to touring with Mott the Hoople. It would open their next tour, evolve and include a Freddie sing along with the crowd at times, and remain a concert staple.

Side Two begins with Roger doing what we would affectionately call his ‘dog whistle’ scream at the beginning of ‘In the Lap of the Gods’. Freddie’s vocals are slowed down during this jilted lover (?) song.  Lyrically, it might a prelude in some ways to the album closer.  Musically, I still don’t know how to describe it. 

What it does is set the table as it segues into ‘Stone Cold Crazy’.  From Freddie’s Wreckage days, it is the first song credited to all four band members (as no one could remember who to credit the lyrics to).  Thrash metal before thrash metal!  Good enough for Metallica to cover and have as the B-side of ‘Enter Sandman’ years later.

An extreme tempo change follows with Brian’s short ballad ‘Dear Friends’ (the title was mentioned in ‘White Queen’).  John’s first solo credit, the simple ‘Misfire’ follows (though the lyrics are rather nasty….). John plays rhythm and acoustic leads.  A reward perhaps for having to fill in at times for during Brian's illnesses.

If this album hasn’t already jumped all over the map, before ‘Misfire’ totally fades out, we get the vaudevillian ‘Bring Back Leroy Brown’ (complete with ukelelee and banjo).  Half a second later after this very American inspired romp,  Brian takes his turn on LVs with the flanged acoustic guitar and ending NYC street sounds during ‘She Makes Me’.  Nothing is constant on this album: the Red Special shines with the harmonies,….. the sirens wail,….. Roger’s drums then fill in the background, Brian’s heavy breaths sound like a longing or exhausted lover….

A second later……the perfect album and concert closing singalong ‘In the Lap of the Gods….Reprised’. From Freddie’s beginning vocals and piano, to the very Slade inspired ending choruses, to the the explosions at the very end.
This was their album that totally hooked me, and still keeps reeling me in.  Another ‘Mount Rushmore’ release, and still praised by critics today.
IMHO it is by far the best studio mix of Roger’s drumming.  The drive and simple fills and cymbals on ‘Brighton Rock’ on its own are his best, add ‘Stone Cold Crazy’ on top of it, and the ending of ‘She Makes Me’ are standouts.  His performance on the rest of the album also rates an A+

The album is killer (Queen) with very little filler. 

« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 02:31:47 PM by DragonAttack »

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #131 on: February 20, 2022, 02:20:54 PM »
The first two songs are probably the most famous ones off this record, but I also love the intimate moments of Lily of the Valley and Dear Friends. And of course Stone Cold Crazy  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #132 on: February 20, 2022, 02:38:33 PM »
I've given Sheer Heart Attack a couple of runs, but I'm giving it a real dedicated listen for a fresh reaction.

Spotify stream totals...

Brighton Rock....28.1m
Killer Queen....495.3m
Tenement Funster....4.7m
Flick Of The Wrist....5.8m
Lily Of The Valley....7.8m
Now I'm Here....46.0m
In The Lap Of The Gods....4.1m
Stone Cold Crazy....39.1m
Dear Friends....4.3m
Misfire....3.4m
Bring Back That Leroy Brown....3.2m
She Makes Me....2.3m
In The Lap Of The Gods...Revisited....6.0m

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #133 on: February 20, 2022, 03:25:41 PM »
Ok, so I made some notes on the tracks. I was very familiar with Killer Queen, and had heard Stone Cold Crazy and sampled the three tracks DT did, but other than that, I had never listened to this album.

Anyway, here goes..

Brighton Rock...This is a great and heavy tune. Those are some high ass vocals kicking this off. This feels a bit out of place here, musically. Seems more in line with the heaviness of QII.

Killer Queen...Having worn out Queen's Greatest Hits when I was in college, I am more than familiar with Killer Queen. This is a great song all the way around.

TF/FOTW/LITV...I had never heard these before Dream Theater covered them. Dream Theater, and James in particular do an amazing job on this. I think that covers disc is one of James' finest moments in the band. I just wish To Tame A Land was part of the same session, which could've benefitted from those vocals. Anyway, when that came out, I did seek out these tracks just to compare. But I never went back to them.
Listening again, my first impression is that DT's versions are so strong, sometimes it's tough to go back and hear the much older original version. But DT was pretty faithful. If I had to rank them, Tenement Funster would be third, mainly because of Roger's vocals. Flick Of The Wrist is really cool in its original version. I love it. And Lily Of The Valley, I mean...what a great performance by Freddie!

Now I'm Here...This sounds like a Slade/Kiss/Styx mashup. I could definitely see Ace Frehley singing these verses. I'd never heard this before, but it's really growing on me. I mean Kiss and Slade are two of my favorite early to mid 70's bands. This fits right in.

In The Lap Of The Gods...That is a crazy vocal to start this off. But overall, this is just kind of there, isn't it. Feels like an interlude.

Stone Cold Crazy...It amazing just how heavy this original version is. Yeah, it's been immortalized by Metallica, hell yes, Queen nails this on their own.

Dear Friends....um..ok

Misfire...I mean, this is harmless enough. Just goes to show how great Freddie is that he can carry and vindicate what feels like an afterthought of a song.

Leroy Brown...This confirms something that I've been thinking, but I'll make it part of another post.

She Makes Me...Skippable track. Not sure what they were going for here.

In The Lap Of The Gods..Revisited....This is really a great track and just about the perfect live song. Not to get ahead, but it stands out on the second Rainbow show.

I have a larger macro thought I'm working on too. And Joe, I find it very interesting that this is your favorite Queen album. OK, I guess you didn't actually come right out and say that...or did you?
Because I'm going to make a UFO comparison.  ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #134 on: February 20, 2022, 07:09:18 PM »
Personally, I'd could see removing the first 'Gods' and 'Dear Friends' and 'Misfire'.....but the damn variety, along with three different lead vocalists (like The Beatles and Styx) is what got me on board.  I love the change of pace and flows throughout.  Hearing 'She Makes Me' at night .....after having it play in the car during a date, well........I'll end it right here ;)   Oh, the songs of our youth!  And that's why I totally get your UFO affection.....and any other bands we both connected with during that time.

So I have two main ideas that I've been thinking about while listening to Sheer Heart Attack.

Firstly, regarding Queen....SHA bridges the gap between the hard rock of the first two albums and the art, or the variety of the next few albums. It is definitely more varied in feel, at least for me. But even moreso, the switch feels like it happens MID ALBUM! Side 1 has a feel that is more closely relatable to the first two albums, and Side 2 feels like it has way more in common with A Night At The Opera. I find this interesting.

Secondly, and to tie it into what I was thinking about with UFO...Joe, you mention how much you love this album. Not counting UFO's first two obscure albums, and only looking at them once Michael Schenker joined.. The first two albums, Phenomenon and Force It have more of a raw and (especially Force It) hard rock feel. Just naturally organic and heavy.
Their third album, No Heavy Petting, which is my favorite UFO album, begins to explore some variety. They add a keyboard player, and embellish their sound. I've talked to Podaar about this, and he feels like they were wimping out a bit..my words, not his, but along those lines a bit. But what it does, is bridge the gap between Force It, a heavy album, and their fourth album Lights Out, which was their highest acclaimed album of that era, full of variety in the same way that A Night Of The Opera does.
Each bands' fourth albums are true landmark albums.

Not that I'm getting ahead! :P ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #135 on: February 20, 2022, 07:22:29 PM »
Sheer Heart Attack is my favorite Queen album. It is one of those albums where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.  Not that it doesn't have great songs, as it certainly does, but it is one where it just sounds tremendous when giving it a full spin. Even the least best songs like Dear Friends and Misfire sound really good within the context of the record. 

Killer Queen and Flick of the Wrist are probably both in my Queen top 10.  I also rate Brighton Rock, In the Lap of the Gods, Stone Cold Crazy and Lily of the Valley all pretty high as well.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #136 on: February 21, 2022, 08:54:10 AM »
Personally, I'd could see removing the first 'Gods' and 'Dear Friends' and 'Misfire'.....but the damn variety, along with three different lead vocalists (like The Beatles and Styx) is what got me on board.  I love the change of pace and flows throughout.  Hearing 'She Makes Me' at night .....after having it play in the car during a date, well........I'll end it right here ;)   Oh, the songs of our youth!  And that's why I totally get your UFO affection.....and any other bands we both connected with during that time.

So I have two main ideas that I've been thinking about while listening to Sheer Heart Attack.

Firstly, regarding Queen....SHA bridges the gap between the hard rock of the first two albums and the art, or the variety of the next few albums. It is definitely more varied in feel, at least for me. But even moreso, the switch feels like it happens MID ALBUM! Side 1 has a feel that is more closely relatable to the first two albums, and Side 2 feels like it has way more in common with A Night At The Opera. I find this interesting.

I'm actually with you on this 100%.  I view it slightly different, though, in that Queen II was the high point for me, and the next few records seem to be a (stylistic) mess, even if there are moments - songs - of absolute brilliance on most of them (The Prophets Song is perhaps my favorite Queen tune).

This is half an album for me.  I like Side One (especially the opener and the closer) but other than She Makes Me and the melody of ITLOTG...R, Queen loses me when they start to get all over the map.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: February 22, 2022, 12:53:41 PM »

<snip>
Each bands' fourth albums are true landmark albums.

Not that I'm getting ahead! :P ;D

As Tim has surmised, this is my favorite Queen album. 

And he makes a point that I had never thought of before, ...that being the transition in MID ALBUM to their next studio release!  In all of the years of talking with friends, reading forums, etc....NO ONE has said this!  And I never gave it a thought until last weekend.  'Lap' very easily could have (and should have) been at the end of Side One, with 'Now I'm' Here' being an obvious beginning of Side Two, with 'Stone Cold Crazy' following.  If only there was an ending to ITLotGods....

Such a good insight :tup

Remarks as to 'She Makes Me'.....  when you are 16 years old, when listening to all that you've been thrown at on this album, when it starts instantly after 'Leroy Brown'... it totally grabbed me.  It was the perfect tempo change when laying back with one's new headphones at night.  Sadly, when listening to the remix, the maracas after the first chorus are almost totally removed.  Why? (?)  That aspect very much diminishes my enjoyment of the song on disc. 

(Slight segue:  I listened to Queen II on disc last week yet again, and the Queen II and SHA vinyls over the past two nights.  I totally enjoyed the mixes on both.  Not sure of what the complaints are as to II having a bad mix.) 

Sheer Heart Attack is my favorite Queen album. It is one of those albums where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.  Not that it doesn't have great songs, as it certainly does, but it is one where it just sounds tremendous when giving it a full spin. Even the least best songs like Dear Friends and Misfire sound really good within the context of the record. 

Killer Queen and Flick of the Wrist are probably both in my Queen top 10.  I also rate Brighton Rock, In the Lap of the Gods, Stone Cold Crazy and Lily of the Valley all pretty high as well.

I made my very first mix tape of any band after their next studio release.  I had eight of the SHA tracks included.  I still had the medley included after album 7, with 'She Makes Me' dropped after album 6 due to time limits.  And, thanks to the ease of CDr recording this decade, it was fun to make a pre 78 'best of' disc that included the BBC 'Son And Daughter' Session 3 and the likes, and to include so much of SHA on it.

Kev, does it matter that you rate it so high?  Oh, hell yeah! :tup

The medley:  a shame that DT didn't speed the tempo up a bit as I had hoped.  And, of all things, I was expecting that Mike and/or JP would have done the LVs on 'Tenement Funster'.... to be 'true' in a way to the original.  Very disappointed that the band chose not to.  Totally agree that DT shined on this cover....and would have rated it in the 60s if allowed to on Kev Shmev's list.

Between now and March 5th I'll make a comment on BBC Session 5, with the next live release comments that weekend before the DT in DC concert.

I could post more beforehand, but, after all, 'It's so easy.....but I can't do it.............'
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 02:04:46 PM by DragonAttack »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #138 on: February 22, 2022, 04:23:43 PM »
The medley:  a shame that DT didn't speed the tempo up a bit as I had hoped.  And, of all things, I was expecting that Mike and/or JP would have done the LVs on 'Tenement Funster'.... to be 'true' in a way to the original.  Very disappointed that the band chose not to.  Totally agree that DT shined on this cover....and would have rated it in the 60s if allowed to on Kev Shmev's list.

Personally, I'm glad that MP didn't do lead vocals on Tenement Funster. Part of me feels he definitely suggested it though. ;D

But while not increasing the tempo, they certainly give it a depth that old songs from 1974 just can't do.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #139 on: February 22, 2022, 06:30:42 PM »
I get this is the DT forum and it is natural to discuss them covering those songs, but I'd rather focus on the awesomeness of the Queen originals. :)