Author Topic: Mundane But True Stories!  (Read 25109 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Mundane But True Stories!
« Reply #420 on: March 25, 2024, 12:21:53 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #421 on: March 25, 2024, 12:49:05 PM »
There is something about getting them delivered that I just don't like the idea of. Picking stuff out myself, seeing good deals on stuff I may not have needed but could stock up, a few impulse purchases that are not crazy, it's worth it to go because of those reasons alone (to me, at least, no hate to people who want delivery).
Then this is clearly not the option for you.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #422 on: March 25, 2024, 12:55:08 PM »
Some of you sound like you need to take advantage of grocery delivery.  The delivery fee is low enough that it's worth it, if you find the experience sub-optimal.
Yes, I love it. As much as I'd love to rely solely on grocery deliver though, it's become a bit too frequent that I forget to order in time or overlook something important on my list. It's like a constant battle between convenience and forgetfulness, and unfortunately, forgetfulness tends to win more often than not. So, while I still use grocery delivery whenever I can, I've come to accept that I'll probably always end up making those emergency runs to the store.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #423 on: March 25, 2024, 01:56:12 PM »
I've done Target delivery a few times. That's kind of similar.

Never done straight up grocery delivery, but during the pandemic, I would sometimes have Whole Foods prepare everything for me so I can just pick it up. But I also like doing it myself whenever possible.

With ear buds in.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #424 on: March 25, 2024, 02:04:05 PM »
Never done straight up grocery delivery, but during the pandemic, I would sometimes have Whole Foods prepare everything for me so I can just pick it up. But I also like doing it myself whenever possible.
Yeah, that's another option, but adds in driving to the store to pick it up.  We've done it, but I prefer the deliver option.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #425 on: March 25, 2024, 02:53:06 PM »
It was FANTASTIC to order necessities for my parents, when the thought of them driving out for a half gallon of milk and peanut M&Ms was "terrifying".   For my situation - we have at any given time, 5, 7, or 8 people in the house - ordering for delivery is - or can be - a nightmare. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #426 on: March 26, 2024, 06:04:06 AM »
It was FANTASTIC to order necessities for my parents, when the thought of them driving out for a half gallon of milk and peanut M&Ms was "terrifying".   For my situation - we have at any given time, 5, 7, or 8 people in the house - ordering for delivery is - or can be - a nightmare.

I agree with this - we tend to forget to write stuff down or keep a normal grocery list.  So we'll usually forget to buy things when we order groceries.  That's annoying.

When my dad had knee surgery last November, he stocked up on some of his groceries, and I drove the 45 minutes south to take him to the store after a week.  The next week, I didn't have time to go see him (and he wasn't cleared to drive for another few weeks after that) so I took his list and ordered the groceries he needed on our Walmart account.  They dropped him off on his doorstep.  It was super convenient.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #427 on: March 26, 2024, 06:26:51 AM »
Picking stuff out myself, seeing good deals on stuff I may not have needed but could stock up, a few impulse purchases that are not crazy, it's worth it to go because of those reasons alone (to me, at least, no hate to people who want delivery).

Also, I live rural enough that anything not named Amazon will have a delivery fee, or alternatively same/next day delivering is "not available in your area".  Like Adami said, we did online+pickup during the height of the pandemic - but didn't like it because invariably, there were "substitutions" we didn't like, and they don't give a rats ass about the quality of the produce.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #428 on: March 26, 2024, 09:36:31 AM »
Also, I live rural enough that anything not named Amazon will have a delivery fee, or alternatively same/next day delivering is "not available in your area".  Like Adami said, we did online+pickup during the height of the pandemic - but didn't like it because invariably, there were "substitutions" we didn't like, and they don't give a rats ass about the quality of the produce.

That's because you're not likely to notice until you get home, at which point it isn't worth the trouble to go back and complain.  It's like when I was a kid and worked at fast-food.  If we had something that was askew in some way, it would go to a drive-thru customer for the same reason.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Skeever

« Reply #429 on: March 29, 2024, 09:18:10 AM »
I don't like grocery delivery because I'm the guy that always goes for the freshest looking producer or rifles through the containers until he finds the one with the furthest away expiration date.

Anyway, my own story:

At least 3 of the houses on my block have gotten brand new roofs within like 5 years of buying their homes, which had already had new roofs put on by flippers. I didn't realize what a shitty job some of these general contractors/flippers do. I get that the weather has been bad, but a new roof should last way longer than 5 years. Anyway...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #430 on: March 29, 2024, 10:49:57 AM »
The general rule I was told long ago was that you put another roof on (on top of the existing one) after 10 years, then 10 years after that, strip it all off and re-roof.  Repeat.  A roof should last 10 years, and you can go two layers thick, but not more.  Since a new roof is an expense I'd rather not face more often than every 10 years, I've stuck to that and it's worked out pretty well.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #431 on: March 29, 2024, 07:07:56 PM »
What type of roof are you referencing? Asphalt shingles is what I am most accustomed to (what I have on my house, and what we install for clients) should be good for ~20 years I thought. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #432 on: March 29, 2024, 07:30:05 PM »
I don't like grocery delivery because I'm the guy that always goes for the freshest looking producer or rifles through the containers until he finds the one with the furthest away expiration date.

We have that issue with Walmart grocery delivery - they'll give us the wrong kind of apple, or bad fruit/vegetables.  Once, they dropped a bag on our doorstep and a bottle of spaghetti sauce was smashed.  You can initiate a refund easily and get the money back, and either re-order the items or go and pick them up from whatever store you want.  Sometimes, if you need to return a non-perishable, they'll tell you to keep it (if it's under some random dollar amount) and they'll send you a replacement. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: March 29, 2024, 07:47:54 PM »
We used grocery delivery once during Covid. I will really impressed with the process. But my wife and I are a bit particular about our grocery shopping, and despite making a list beforehand she will invariably forget ~5 things that she wouldn't have gotten if she didn't happen to see them while at the store. So I don't foresee us using it again.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #434 on: March 29, 2024, 09:21:42 PM »
What type of roof are you referencing? Asphalt shingles is what I am most accustomed to (what I have on my house, and what we install for clients) should be good for ~20 years I thought. 

I'm not sure.  Are there other types of shingles?  I think ours is "regular" shingles.

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #435 on: March 30, 2024, 07:19:45 AM »
I'm not sure.  Are there other types of shingles?  I think ours is "regular" shingles.

There's also the disease adults get
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #436 on: March 30, 2024, 09:59:36 AM »
Ah, yes.  But I got my vaccine last year.  Two shots, both painful, but I understand that that's still nothing compared to actually getting shingles.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #437 on: March 30, 2024, 04:49:47 PM »

There are 3 Tab and Architectural singles. Architectural are much better, and in fact, when I had my own roof done 4 years ago, I could not even find a roofer who would entertain the idea of putting 3 Tab on the place. But General Contractors and flippers who love to cut costs at every corner still use them!

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #438 on: March 31, 2024, 01:07:44 PM »
Then this is clearly not the option for you.

That's what I said, dad. I swear, you never listen to anything I say.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #439 on: April 01, 2024, 05:52:56 AM »
Just make sure the shingles aren't already inside you.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #440 on: April 01, 2024, 09:50:25 AM »
Ah, yes.  But I got my vaccine last year.  Two shots, both painful, but I understand that that's still nothing compared to actually getting shingles.
I got mine last year.  Weren't terribly painful, but both shots knocked me out of commission for days.