Author Topic: RIP Meat Loaf  (Read 2541 times)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: RIP Meat Loaf
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 03:02:25 AM »
I never listen to his disco very much sadly so I don't know much about him other than of course his hit I'd do anything for love. That's a great song though!

RIP
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 03:05:06 AM »
This saddens me. He was an extraordinary singer. A voice like no other.
any rock can be made to roll

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 03:08:03 AM »
News broke to me by the coworker sitting next to me, she's a big fan as well.

Today is a sad, sad day for our music. Just few months after Jim Steinman.... boys, those bats will run out of hell because of all the cranking noise those two will make!!!  :metal

So long Meat Loaf, thank you for every immortal gem you lent your amazing pipes on  :hefdaddy

:-[ :-[ :-[
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 04:54:32 AM »
Bat Out Of Hell is still one of my favourite albums ever. Gone not even a year after Jim Steinman too. RIP. :'(

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 05:43:35 AM »
"His name was robert paulson"

RIP

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2022, 05:59:11 AM »
This one really hits me deep, man. I actually teared up looking at my signed Bat out of Hell vinyl this morning (and I dropped its display frame and it shattered everywhere). I'm not one to say things like "music is my life" or "I'd rather be blind than deaf so I could still hear music", but Meat always talked to me. I hated listening to him interview, but I loved him as a performer. I rarely interpret lyrics when I listen to music. I usually don't even register the words, let alone their meaning. But something about Meat singing Jim's words just struck a chord with me. I've listened to him almost daily now for the better part of 15 years. His music got me pumped up and positive before I did mushrooms for the first time, and it was also what I turned to at some of the darkest points in my life. I have dozens of amazing memories that I can tie this man's work to.

I'm bummed I only got to see the man perform once (3 Bats Live tour - Great live DVD btw). Speaking of which, as much as I like Bat out of Hell 3, that title should have been reserved for Braver than we Are. I was actually piecing together a post about that album earlier this week and got sidetracked and never finished it. That album, for being so late in Meat's career, is a goddamn masterpiece. Going All the Way is right up there with Anything for Love and Paradise if you ask me. Objects in the Rear View, Out of the Frying Pan, and Dead Ringer get and honorable mention. 

Tis' a sad day. I'm hoping however he went, that it was quick and and calm.

What a team. True masters of their craft.  :heart

« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 06:37:39 AM by Chino »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2022, 06:05:33 AM »
Too bad.  RIP
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 06:29:44 AM »
The OG BooH is a god-tier album.  It was my desert island album for many many years of my youth.  The sequel is nearly a goddamn masterpiece as well (couple of duds in there, and some truly cringy song titles).  Was never much a fan of the 3rd.  Chino, I'll go give his later albums a spin, as I'm not sure I ever heard them.

Sad for sure.  Apparently TMZ is reporting it was COVID.  :sad:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 06:34:09 AM »
The OG BooH is a god-tier album.  It was my desert island album for many many years of my youth.  The sequel is nearly a goddamn masterpiece as well (couple of duds in there, and some truly cringy song titles). 

Sad for sure.  Apparently TMZ is reporting it was COVID.  :sad:

Shit. I was hoping that wasn't going to be the case. Based on the stuff he'd post online and the opinions he's expressed over the years, I had a feeling this was probable.

Chino, I'll go give his later albums a spin, as I'm not sure I ever heard them

I'd start with Braver Than We Are and then maybe follow that up with Hang Cool Teddy Bear. The first track on Braver isn't everyone's cup of tea, especially as an album opener. Don't let that track sour the rest of the album.

Here's that song I was referencing above.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU4nLzjAIlU

« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 06:43:55 AM by Chino »

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2022, 09:18:04 AM »
 :'( :'( :'( :'(
RIP Meat!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2022, 09:56:30 AM »
Saw a story a day or so ago with Scott Ian jamming with his 10 year old son. Meat is Scott's Father-in-law, so that little kid just lost his Grandpa. Guessing Meat was quite the grandparent.

One of my best work memories involves Meat Loaf. A co-worker (my best friend) absolutely hated him and his music. Me and a buddy got the idea to replace his new email sound with the entire I Would Anything For Love track. I found the name of the file for his sound and then renamed the mp3 of the full song to match and then replaced the file. Since we are IT, I could just map to his drive and do it from my PC. Every time he got a new email the track queued up. There was no way to stop it outside of listening to the whole track or rebooting his PC. On the second or third hit, he figured it out and starting cursing us out over the cube walls. We could not stop laughing. Good times.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2022, 10:00:55 AM »
Oh, that's fucking glorious!  Did you send him meaningless emails just for shits and giggles??
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2022, 10:18:05 AM »
Oh, that's fucking glorious!  Did you send him meaningless emails just for shits and giggles??

We got enough emails that others did the job for us. Didn't want to tip him off. That was like 2008. The 3 of us still laugh about it to this day.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2022, 11:58:38 AM »
Jordan Rudess shares an interesting story about his late 80s audition for Meat Loaf, as well as a minute long keyboard/piano tribute.
https://fb.watch/aGKSmSR-cY/

In the late 80s, I was asked to audition for Meat Loaf. I had about a day to prep. We didn't have streaming services and couldn't access sheet music on Google in those days. So I ran out and bought a few Meatloaf CDs and transcribed the songs I needed to learn for the audition. I practiced a few songs from Bat Out of Hell and some other Meat Loaf hits and felt fairly prepared walking into the room.  We were kind of broke at the time and this job, besides being super cool to play with Meatloaf and his excellent band, could provide much needed financial relief. I'm thinking, I nailed it. It's going to happen.
After the audition, Meatloaf turns to me and says, Man, what is someone as talented as you doing auditioning for a fat fuck like me. You belong in Carnegie Hall, not on my stage."
I didn't get the job but that's OK. Other good things were about to happen...
RIP Meatloaf #meatloaf #meatloafsinger #iddoanythingforlove #keyboardist #pianist

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Pettor

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2022, 12:00:32 PM »
I am a huge Meat Loaf fan. Always loved piano and big productions and ever since I came in contact with Meat Loaf and Jim Steinman I've been a huge fan. The Very Best of Meat Loaf album that came during the 90s is amazing. Worth listening to just for the new fantastic Steinman songs (or well finally a version with Meat Loaf singing).

I am from Sweden and there was this TV-program where normal people would imitate and sing different songs. At one point watching a guy and a girl decided to do Dead Ringer For Love. It was long time ago but I remember being so excited and cheering for them to win, which they did, but also becoming a bit obsessed with the song. Actually found the cover on YouTube and it's still a great performance:

https://youtu.be/xnvfeip_Dw4

Bat Our of Hell is still one of the best albums and songs I know. Such a fantastic piece and it will always get me pumped! Meat Loaf and Jim was such a strange perfect match. Jim's horny, dramatic and often juvenile lyrics with Meat Loaf treating then like it was life or death. Jim also had these wonderful piano lines for all songs and the orchestral arrangements combined with rock is a match made in heaven.

Rip Meat Loaf. At least he can unite with Jim again 😊
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 12:11:14 PM by Pettor »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2022, 12:12:00 PM »
Jordan Rudess shares an interesting story about his late 80s audition for Meat Loaf, as well as a minute long keyboard/piano tribute.

In the late 80s, I was asked to audition for Meat Loaf. I had about a day to prep. We didn't have streaming services and couldn't access sheet music on Google in those days. So I ran out and bought a few Meatloaf CDs and transcribed the songs I needed to learn for the audition. I practiced a few songs from Bat Out of Hell and some other Meat Loaf hits and felt fairly prepared walking into the room.  We were kind of broke at the time and this job, besides being super cool to play with Meatloaf and his excellent band, could provide much needed financial relief. I'm thinking, I nailed it. It's going to happen.
After the audition, Meatloaf turns to me and says, Man, what is someone as talented as you doing auditioning for a fat fuck like me. You belong in Carnegie Hall, not on my stage."
RIP Meatloaf #meatloaf #meatloafsinger #iddoanythingforlove #keyboardist #pianist

-Marc.
That's a great story.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2022, 12:14:45 PM »
Did they rule out Frankenfurter as a suspect?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2022, 02:59:42 PM »
I am and was a big fan.   His interview with Dan Rather is a killer.   

Side bar:  He lived in Reading, CT for a while, and one of his daughters went to Joel Barlow High School in Easton.  We played them in every sport (Easton was the next town over from me).  Meat coached his daughter in JV softball for Barlow.  I never met the man, but I know a couple people that saw him around, both coaching and living life.  I don't know a person that had a bad word to say about him in that context.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2022, 03:12:26 PM »
RIP  :(
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2022, 03:41:53 PM »
Did they rule out Frankenfurter as a suspect?

"His name was robert paulson"

RIP

I have to admit that Rocky Horror and Fight Club were the first two things I thought of this morning when I heard the news. 

I will admit to always being a sucker for Paradise by the Dashboard Light.  Just a fun little tune. A few other good songs on the Bat out of Hell album as well, especially the title track.  Not a fan of much else by the man, but he had one helluva voice.

R.I.P.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2022, 06:12:56 PM »
RIP, always loved his music without being a fan or owning a CD/LP.
Just bought a 2CD best of that has all his best songs.

BTW his daughter Pearl is married to Scott Ian from Anthrax

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2022, 08:56:16 PM »
I am and was a big fan.   His interview with Dan Rather is a killer.   

Side bar:  He lived in Reading, CT for a while, and one of his daughters went to Joel Barlow High School in Easton.  We played them in every sport (Easton was the next town over from me).  Meat coached his daughter in JV softball for Barlow.  I never met the man, but I know a couple people that saw him around, both coaching and living life.  I don't know a person that had a bad word to say about him in that context.

That doesn't surprise me per I have a memory on ESPN or maybe MTV Meat Loaf playing in a Charity Softball game against Barry Bonds and some other musicians in the mid 90's.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2022, 04:31:23 AM »
This one hit me quite hard. I love Meat Loaf. He was an early favourite and Dead Ringer was one of the first albums I owned. I don’t love much that he did in the last 20 years but the Bat albums, Dead Ringer and Bad Attitude get a lot of play from me, as does Steinman’s Bad For Good and Pandora’s Box albums.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2022, 10:23:20 AM »
RIP Meat Loaf.

JR's audition - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkGNKrHSC0Y

Edited: Oops - somebody beat me to it.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2022, 08:01:10 PM »

In the late 80s, I was asked to audition for Meat Loaf. I had about a day to prep. We didn't have streaming services and couldn't access sheet music on Google in those days. So I ran out and bought a few Meatloaf CDs and transcribed the songs I needed to learn for the audition. I practiced a few songs from Bat Out of Hell and some other Meat Loaf hits and felt fairly prepared walking into the room.  We were kind of broke at the time and this job, besides being super cool to play with Meatloaf and his excellent band, could provide much needed financial relief. I'm thinking, I nailed it. It's going to happen.

-Marc.

What does he mean by "ran out and bought CDs"?
You mean there were stores with CDs in them to purchase?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2022, 06:05:12 PM »
It has been years since I've listened to a Meat Loaf album in full. Will rectify that this week.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Trav86

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2022, 06:36:23 PM »
Bat Out of Hell is truly one of those nearly perfect albums. It’s one that defies genres and simply a masterpiece. RIP
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2022, 09:39:23 PM »
IMO, the absolute BEST song by Meatloaf is "Amnesty Is Granted" :metal :metal :metal

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2022, 11:25:25 PM »
I find it a shame that he most likely would still be alive had he been vaccinated. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2022, 06:19:39 AM »
Great Singer, Great Showman, Dubious Politics.

2 Outta 3 ain't bad.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2022, 08:50:43 AM »
Friday I was able to confirm 2 things:

1) Bat Out of Hell is still one of the greatest rock albums ever recorded.

2) Bat Out of Hell II is not.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2022, 02:21:47 PM »
Friday I was able to confirm 2 things:

1) Bat Out of Hell is still one of the greatest rock albums ever recorded.

2) Bat Out of Hell II is not.

No, but it still has its moments.  I forgot how gloriously cringey Wasted Youth is.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2022, 02:24:16 PM »
Had a Meatloaf marathon of two albums after hearing the sad news. Bat out of Hell 3 (The Monster is Loose) is a criminally overlooked album with 14 great songs. Every bit as good as Bat Out of Hell imo.. His album covers are so metal..  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2022, 02:26:03 PM »
Great Singer, Great Showman, Dubious Politics.

2 Outta 3 ain't bad.
:rollin
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP