Author Topic: Help/advice for broken turntable?  (Read 467 times)

Offline dparrott

Help/advice for broken turntable?
« on: February 03, 2022, 03:32:54 PM »
I need help/advice for a broken turntable.  Anyone know where I can go?  I contacted the manufacturer but no response yet.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline TheSoylentMan

• Nothing ever happens on Mars
Re: Help/advice for broken turntable?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 08:04:41 AM »
What kind of turntable do you have, and what's going on with it?

The best resource I know of is vinylengine.com. It's my "other" forum I waste time on besides DTF :). They have a database of service manuals for just about every turntable model, and an active community happy to answer questions.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2022, 09:27:37 AM »
Insignia NS-BTST21.  I got it used off ebay.  It was working great for days, now all of a sudden it barely spins. I turn it on, it spins for a second, then stops. The bluetooth light doesn't come on either.  The speed control (33/45) has no effect.  I have moved the arm back and forth, nothing. I took off the platter and belt, all looks fine, I put it back on, nothing.

I noticed on the bottom there are ventilation holes under the transformer.  I didn't have the turntable on a flat surface when I was using it.  I don't know if that affected the transformer, that seems like the problem.  I only used the record player for like an hour total though.

I really hope it can be fixed somehow, it was a great deal.

I'll check out vinyl engine, thanks.

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2022, 09:43:03 AM »
Insignia NS-BTST21.  I got it used off ebay.  It was working great for days, now all of a sudden it barely spins. I turn it on, it spins for a second, then stops. The bluetooth light doesn't come on either.  The speed control (33/45) has no effect.  I have moved the arm back and forth, nothing. I took off the platter and belt, all looks fine, I put it back on, nothing.

I noticed on the bottom there are ventilation holes under the transformer.  I didn't have the turntable on a flat surface when I was using it.  I don't know if that affected the transformer, that seems like the problem.  I only used the record player for like an hour total though.

I really hope it can be fixed somehow, it was a great deal.

I'll check out vinyl engine, thanks.

Sounds like a case for Dr. Google!

I'd look up any local electronics repair shops in the area. (make sure to ask about bench fees, though)

Unfortunately, for a $100 modern turntable, I doubt you are going to find a solution that wont leave you upside-down. Hell, the last cartridge and belt I purchased set me back $150, so if it were me, I'd either open it up and take at crack at it myself, or I'd chuck it and start over.

Offline TheSoylentMan

• Nothing ever happens on Mars
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2022, 12:46:24 PM »
If you haven't had it long you could check return policies with the seller and/or Ebay, but I imagine you've already checked that. Maybe try bringing it into Best Buy, since it seems to be a Best Buy house brand.

But yeah, that's tough. A lot of modern electronics are hard to tinker with, and not always worth the cost of a professional repair.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2022, 12:49:40 PM »
I opened it up, all looks fine.  Someone on VinylEngine said to lubricate the pulley.