Author Topic: Is there a proper way to quit a job?  (Read 7064 times)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Re: Is there a proper way to quit a job?
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2022, 08:19:44 AM »
Then maybe I'm misunderstanding the point. Everyone has a backstory. Everyone has issues. And just because everyone has some sort of issue, it in no way diminishes any one person's..issues.

At work, everyone has a story, so giving out clearer expectations gets harder and harder. But people still need work to be done, so you feel more of the passive aggression. It reduces everyone to a gray mass of half-adults who need to be kicked along to do anything.

But why though? You set the expectation and grade accordingly. Their "story" shouldn't matter, and if you let it, then that's on you. It's one thing to be somewhat accommodating and understanding as a boss, but if you let it tip the scales, then you're the one that's underperforming.

I say this respectfully, to a friend, but I don't understand your position.  I KNOW everyone has a story.  And we SHOULDN'T account for that in our assessment.  We agree on that.  That's what I'm saying in the other thread, and what you seem to be saying here.  But in the other thread (and I will say the same here) it's increasingly apparent that the stories DO matter, and they are INTENDED to influence the scales. They're not offered just for shits and giggles, they are offered as currency in whatever negotiation is happening.  In this thread, it's all the reasons why an in-person resignation doesn't work for them, or why they are entitled to a less-than-two-week notice period. 

Look on LinkedIn, which is fast turning into a social media cesspool.   Post after post of sob stories, and excuses why the results aren't what they should or could be.   

I, and many like me, work hard at delivering my goals and objectives, full stop.  Whether I'm lucky enough to have parents that hike the Serengeti, or I have parents that need placement in assisted living and are dealing with COVID, I have to deliver.   The California Court system, Amtrak, the MTA, they don't give a RAT'S ASS about my parents.  And they CAN'T, because every one of their employees and every employee of every one of their suppliers has either parents, with a story, or their own reasons why their performance needs to be qualified or celebrated (by the way, that's a new thing: on LinkedIn, now, instead of just "Liking" a story, you can "Celebrate" a story.  "Stadler CELEBRATES this".  Are you fucking kidding me?)  This is what I mean when I say that if everyone has a story, NO ONE DOES.   These parties can't given an exception to any one person, because it becomes materially unfair.  "Well, you gave Stadler a pass because his other-wise healthy parents are now in assisted living battling largely a-symptomatic COVID; well my parents are in assisted living memory care, one has cancer and the other is on a respirator.  Where's my pass?"   See?  It becomes a contest. 

Look, this isn't as cold as it sounds; I have deep compassion for those that are going through trials and tribulations, and I understand that at times it can be overwhelming.  But life is, if nothing else, a series of choices we go through to get to the end.  And this is just part of that.   You don't want to resign in person? So be it.  You don't want to give two weeks notice?  So be it.  That's your choice.   If it comes back to bite you, own it.   I walked out after being let go, and I was, to read the room here, in the right.  It HAS hurt me moving forward.  I have five years of work experience that I have to work hard to overcome that when pitching my employment history.  I have even lost a few friends because of that experience.   I own it.  It's on me, no one else.

- Your comments about LinkedIn are all too true. For a professional networking site, it has the most pathetic and histrionic posts. Part of me thinks it's the hive mind of the American workforce collectively negotiating against corporate America by indirectly asking to be coddled more. Part of me thinks that corporate America did this to themselves by trying to brainwash people into thinking work is family instead of cultivating an intelligent and hardworking employee base.

- I think in terms of your comments on not letting your work be affected by your outside life, I just wish there was more of a line. There was one time where I needed to be able to drop everything at work and leave immediately to fill out a rental application (in demand complex for good reason). I told my manager about this ahead of time. Call came and I left. But I brought my laptop home with me to work afterward so it wasn't like "lol I'll just take a random half day here then."

Another way of looking at it is - There was a time where I viewed my job as the most important thing I did, and now I do not, and that drastically shifts your thinking toward everything you do at work. Having had conversations on both sides of that equation, I now know how annoying me now would probably find me from a couple years ago. That said, I still try to be reasonably professional.

- I sympathize with some of the people who don't want to turn in a two week's notice in person. It's a hard conversation, but that conversation turns into your manager trying to strategize how to handle your departure. It's not done just to put you through social pressure.

But then to look at it the other way, the fact employees are expected to give two weeks and an employer can fire you instantly is wrong. I can see why you wouldn't want to keep a disgruntled employee around (have seen this play out due to a layoff), but then you should have to compensate them somehow (not everyone gets a severance). So maybe people not giving two weeks/resigning over email is a justified response to American business only expecting courtesy in firing/quitting to go one way.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2022, 09:11:50 AM »
Damn, I've worked for the same company since I got out of college..

I was kind of thinking in the same vein. I've had two jobs in the past 42 years. I left the first one after 28 by giving 2 month notice.

That’s legit!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2022, 09:18:31 AM »
Threads like this make me glad I work in Sweden and not the US.

US work culture is a disaster.

At least in the past you could argue that the way we pulverized peoples' souls made us successful. Now it's just a competition for everyone to be as unaccountable for producing as little as possible.

I'd really like to hear more, particularly from XJ.  I know that much of what's written or portrayed in media about "US work culture" is not consistent with my experience, so I'm always interested to hear what people think.

I know I'm seeing a backlash, and what I would consider a dumbing down.  The two points you raise, Reapsta, are in my view connected.  Not that every job has to be soul-pulverizing, that's an extreme, but I think the production, accountability, and culture are indelibly intertwined.   Through my career, I have enjoyed my work, and (largely) the people I worked with, but unquestionably, it's taken effort, sacrifice, and hasn't been easy.  Most of the tropes we read about - "find your passion!" and "work to live, don't live to work!" - really just the other side of the "Excuses" coin.   My kid's passion is cars; he got a job with his favorite car company... and after 18 months of doing oil changes over and over for $16/hr for customers that didn't know a transmission from a transaxle, and he upped and joined the fucking Army.  So much for "passion".  For every Paul Stanley, or Kandy Kardashian, there are a 1,000 "my sons".  I had a call Saturday afternoon with my legal team, in preparation for a trial we're going to start shortly.  There wasn't really a choice; we had three depositions starting 9 am Monday, separately, and had to have everyone on the same page, at least with recollections and available information.   There was no choice.  One person decided to blow it off, because Saturday was "his day".  So how do I keep the other four people, who were on at 7 pm on a Saturday at one point - engaged and feeling like they aren't being taken advantage of?  No, the world won't end if that person doesn't join - the depos went on as planned - but conversely, the world isn't going to end if you lose one of your precious Saturday's and you support your team.  But those people in the deposition room could have benefited from your insight and your participation.  I ended up calling each of them Monday morning and giving a sort of "we're with you, you can do this, just remember our practice session" pep talk, and that WILL at some point come back to bite that person.  I can't in good conscience say they gave all they had in a professional review when they made that decision.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2022, 09:22:01 AM »
In some other countries leaving, or being terminated is a much more complex process. For example in France I think you have to give a 3 month notice either way. Or maybe it's 4 unless they buy out your remaining time

Nice to hear from you here, as always. But what the heck!

"Your work here is atrocious, your productivity is insufferable, your customer service is insulting. You are hereby fired... in 3-4 months!"

-or-

"Thank you for the considerate job offer, I would love to accept the position with your company. I will give my current employer notice, and be able to start here in, say...3-4 months?

I don't think that is how it works.. We have a similar thing here in Argentina, but it's only a 2 weeks notice. The employer only has to pay those 2 weeks if the employee is being fired without a justifiable reason. If he/she has been working like shit for some time and you as an employer have taken measures and given the person the opportunity to improve and they still do a shit work then you can fire them and pay them nothing. I would think that's the case in France.

The law gives between 1-2 months of statutory notice unless there are circumstances such as gross misconduct:

2. French employment law notice period
Almost every employee that’s to be dismissed is entitled to a notice period in France. The only instances where this is not the case are if the employee is dismissed for reasons of gross misconduct, negligence or incapacity.

During this period, the employee may continue to work for the company and receive the same compensation until the conclusion of the work relationship. The length of this period is contingent upon the employee’s seniority status:

One month’s notice for six to 24 months of employment
Two months’ notice for 24-plus months of employment
Depends on company practice or collective agreement for more than six months
The notice period starts after the letter of dismissal has been received.

That said, if an employee wishes to, they may request to be released from work during the period—though an employer isn’t required to acquiesce. If the employer does comply, the two parties will agree upon an end date, after which the employer is freed from paying wages or compensation.

https://www.safeguardglobal.com/resources/blog/terminating-an-employee-in-france#:~:text=French%20employment%20law%20notice%20period&text=The%20length%20of%20this%20period,for%20more%20than%20six%20months

If there are instances of more than 2 months notice being required, I would guess its probably public sector positions that are subject to more powerful collective bargaining agreements. Because France fortunately has strong unions still.

There are qualitative conclusions drawn there that not everyone agrees with.   Let's leave it at that.  Turn the tables and see if people agree; you hire a contractor for your house, and they are not doing what you want them to do at the pace you want them to go; but you can't fire them without three months notice.   Why should the company have to continue paying a person that isn't delivering what is asked for?  And we wonder why corporations make OTHER choices we disagree with in the name of money?  The corporate coffers are a zero sum game; the money that goes to those people who arguably don't deserve it could be going to other, more deserving people. 

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2022, 09:44:09 AM »

At least in the past you could argue that the way we pulverized peoples' souls made us successful. Now it's just a competition for everyone to be as unaccountable for producing as little as possible.

I'd really like to hear more, particularly from XJ.  I know that much of what's written or portrayed in media about "US work culture" is not consistent with my experience, so I'm always interested to hear what people think.

Well I can only talk regarding what I know, and when it comes to USA work culture, I only know the "headlines" as it were. However in general terms, I would say Europe and especially Sweden seems to have found a balance of power that is at least tipped more towards the employee than the USA's balance is. And this kind of balance and security, with less of a focus on long hours, is far more conducive to a healthy mental state and good work-life balance than the US system, at least based on the people I've talked to. I think the US may produce better "highs" and allow people who thrive in high-stakes or high stress situations to rise higher and excel/achieve more, but at the expense of a lot more people who just get chewed up by the system.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2022, 09:48:35 AM »
There are qualitative conclusions drawn there that not everyone agrees with.   Let's leave it at that.  Turn the tables and see if people agree; you hire a contractor for your house, and they are not doing what you want them to do at the pace you want them to go; but you can't fire them without three months notice.   Why should the company have to continue paying a person that isn't delivering what is asked for?  And we wonder why corporations make OTHER choices we disagree with in the name of money?  The corporate coffers are a zero sum game; the money that goes to those people who arguably don't deserve it could be going to other, more deserving people. 

Penalty clauses, reasonable causes for premature termination of a contract, and such like are still a thing even with unions (hell, I've written a few into contracts I've negotiated, and I work for a University of all places. France has exceptions to the 2 month rule that include gross misconduct and other performance failures. It does not have to be an either/or situation.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2022, 09:55:20 AM »
Btw, if you wish to discuss these things in more political terms, you can feel free to bring it over to P/R. I will admit my views on worker protections and such like come from (what is for this forum at least) a pretty damn left wing position, but working in academia, I've seen how bad some of these work-culture related issues effect a hell of a lot of people. Academia in particular has a hell of a problem with burn-out, shitty working conditions and pressures that lead to people overworking with no guarantee that their effort will bear any fruit. So I am very much in favour of anything that makes my colleagues and student's lives a bit easier to manage.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2022, 09:58:24 AM »
- Your comments about LinkedIn are all too true. For a professional networking site, it has the most pathetic and histrionic posts. Part of me thinks it's the hive mind of the American workforce collectively negotiating against corporate America by indirectly asking to be coddled more. Part of me thinks that corporate America did this to themselves by trying to brainwash people into thinking work is family instead of cultivating an intelligent and hardworking employee base.

- I think in terms of your comments on not letting your work be affected by your outside life, I just wish there was more of a line. There was one time where I needed to be able to drop everything at work and leave immediately to fill out a rental application (in demand complex for good reason). I told my manager about this ahead of time. Call came and I left. But I brought my laptop home with me to work afterward so it wasn't like "lol I'll just take a random half day here then."

Another way of looking at it is - There was a time where I viewed my job as the most important thing I did, and now I do not, and that drastically shifts your thinking toward everything you do at work. Having had conversations on both sides of that equation, I now know how annoying me now would probably find me from a couple years ago. That said, I still try to be reasonably professional.

Me as well; I embraced the GE mentality full on (and still do to a degree; it was harsh in some ways, but it was reality, as much as we want to deny it).   Some of my views here still reflect that.  It's interesting, because I've watched my boss grow (he's younger than me by about 10 years).  He came from a BIG law firm (most of you know them even if you don't know them) and had that "you're MINE!" mentality.  I've seen it soften over the 5 years I've worked for him.  Kids and a health scare will do that to you. He's a lot closer to balance now and it so happens that we're on the same page more or less.  You did it right, IMO.  Do your thing but don't take advantage.  I love that you didn't (seem to) feel "entitled" to take off because "insert lame-o reason".  I've argued with my wife about this a bit; she comes from a blue collar family - nothing wrong with that, so did I - but it's easier to put the phone down when you're off when you're an electrician or mechanic.  No car, there's nothing to work on. No electrical panel, there's nothing to work on.   Mine is a profession of ideas, more or less, and I can - and have, by the way, more or less - bring value on a phone call while I'm riding the Dr. Seuss rides at Universal. If they don't get the answer from me, they WILL get it from somewhere. 

I'm watching this with my kids now.  My oldest daughter got her first job and showed up five minutes late to a reaming from her boss (also the owner).  She was all "fucking bitch, it was five minutes, get off my back".   Now she's at a place in NC where she's not an owner, but they share revenue, and she's learning what it means to have expenses and have revenue, and she's all "I'm there 15 minutes before my shift, because I am not earning when I'm prepping my equipment, and those other ho's better be ready to work as well".  Okay, my words, but still, the idea is there.  My other daughter works at a Mexican chain restaurant that isn't Moe's or Taco Bell, and she's learned the hard way that people that wake up hungover and call in at the last minute impact everyone else.  Her tips go down when the line is short one worker.   She's also recognized that if she leaves some time open, she can pick up extra shifts being the person that will come in at short notice when someone else calls out.  As a result, while the region policy is if you don't work for three months you are purged from the system (essentially let go), she's been told "as long as you want to work here, you've got a job, we'll figure it out".  It's not rocket science: work is not an entitlement.   

- I sympathize with some of the people who don't want to turn in a two week's notice in person. It's a hard conversation, but that conversation turns into your manager trying to strategize how to handle your departure. It's not done just to put you through social pressure.

I never said I don't sympathize; this is a guy that, back in college, wouldn't walk into a classroom if the class already started, because I was so embarrassed. For me, the two hardest things in the world to do are to resign a job and break up with a girlfriend.  I wouldn't break up with a girlfriend by email either.  No one said it was easy; my point is only to say that we shouldn't expect the world to revolve around what we feel is "easy".   

But then to look at it the other way, the fact employees are expected to give two weeks and an employer can fire you instantly is wrong. I can see why you wouldn't want to keep a disgruntled employee around (have seen this play out due to a layoff), but then you should have to compensate them somehow (not everyone gets a severance). So maybe people not giving two weeks/resigning over email is a justified response to American business only expecting courtesy in firing/quitting to go one way.

In concept, I agree, but this is a case where the general and the specific don't line up.  Because the system might be skewed in certain circumstances doesn't make any one individual case justified.  That the State of California fucked up the evidence in the OJ case doesn't mean I can destroy evidence in MY case.   We're also talking about the interface of the individual to the collective; the company is NOT a person in this context, and it's not as if there aren't other repercussions to the company.  The fired employee can always raise awareness about how a company handles it's employment practices.  How many people to this day know the name "Neutron Jack"?  And finally, how the company handles other severances isn't my business; I'm not privy to all the facts necessary to make that determination fairly, so I can only go on what I know.  FOR ME, I have hard evidence that how one does things matters, and that the easy way isn't always the best way.  There are no laws; if you give two weeks, two days, or two minutes notice, it's on you as long as you can bear the consequences.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2022, 10:51:37 AM »

Well I can only talk regarding what I know, and when it comes to USA work culture, I only know the "headlines" as it were. However in general terms, I would say Europe and especially Sweden seems to have found a balance of power that is at least tipped more towards the employee than the USA's balance is. And this kind of balance and security, with less of a focus on long hours, is far more conducive to a healthy mental state and good work-life balance than the US system, at least based on the people I've talked to. I think the US may produce better "highs" and allow people who thrive in high-stakes or high stress situations to rise higher and excel/achieve more, but at the expense of a lot more people who just get chewed up by the system.

Aren't you just picking and choosing who gets chewed up though?  It's sort of axiomatic that if you take one group from a situation that they don't thrive in and change the situation until they DO thrive, that those that thrived (throve?) in the first situation might not necessarily thrive in the new one? 

And then there's the more existential question; why change an environment that takes away/penalizes traits that perhaps help us - human kind - in the real (non work) world in order to emphasize traits that may not?

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2022, 11:13:49 AM »
Aren't you just picking and choosing who gets chewed up though?

No. Safety nets exist so that no-one goes kerrsplat.

It's sort of axiomatic that if you take one group from a situation that they don't thrive in and change the situation until they DO thrive, that those that thrived (throve?) in the first situation might not necessarily thrive in the new one?

Not "thriving" quite so well is for me at least, not quite on the same level of detriment as the worst outcomes of American style capitalism and people living on less than subsistence wages or benefits, or needing to choose between food and insulin.

And then there's the more existential question; why change an environment that takes away/penalizes traits that perhaps help us - human kind - in the real (non work) world in order to emphasize traits that may not?

I agree. Why support a system that discourages the compassion, cooperation, and sense of community that are necessary for humanity to thrive? (See what I did there? :P)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2022, 11:16:43 AM »

I know I'm seeing a backlash, and what I would consider a dumbing down.  The two points you raise, Reapsta, are in my view connected.  Not that every job has to be soul-pulverizing, that's an extreme, but I think the production, accountability, and culture are indelibly intertwined.   Through my career, I have enjoyed my work, and (largely) the people I worked with, but unquestionably, it's taken effort, sacrifice, and hasn't been easy.  Most of the tropes we read about - "find your passion!" and "work to live, don't live to work!" - really just the other side of the "Excuses" coin.   My kid's passion is cars; he got a job with his favorite car company... and after 18 months of doing oil changes over and over for $16/hr for customers that didn't know a transmission from a transaxle, and he upped and joined the fucking Army.  So much for "passion".  For every Paul Stanley, or Kandy Kardashian, there are a 1,000 "my sons".  I had a call Saturday afternoon with my legal team, in preparation for a trial we're going to start shortly.  There wasn't really a choice; we had three depositions starting 9 am Monday, separately, and had to have everyone on the same page, at least with recollections and available information.   There was no choice.  One person decided to blow it off, because Saturday was "his day".  So how do I keep the other four people, who were on at 7 pm on a Saturday at one point - engaged and feeling like they aren't being taken advantage of?  No, the world won't end if that person doesn't join - the depos went on as planned - but conversely, the world isn't going to end if you lose one of your precious Saturday's and you support your team.  But those people in the deposition room could have benefited from your insight and your participation.  I ended up calling each of them Monday morning and giving a sort of "we're with you, you can do this, just remember our practice session" pep talk, and that WILL at some point come back to bite that person.  I can't in good conscience say they gave all they had in a professional review when they made that decision.

- My personal work experience is in tech support and analytics. I know other people who work reasonably high-pressure corporate jobs and I know people who are in blue collar

- I agree in theory that a job where you're supposed to be productive and accountable is a job where you are happier. What I have seen in practice is the people who actually do the work being held very accountable and the people in charge not being held accountable. Because no one wants to lose their job, they have to go along with every little stupid thing. The cocktail of infantilization at the workplace, America's culture of slaving away, and cowardice at all levels produces this weird situation where everyone's walking the line of how many checks they can write that their asses can't catch. Big talk from management that is not followed-up on. Workers either slaving away under fear or knowing how to get away with the bare minimum. And this broad template seems to apply to every situation I hear about. Occasionally you see people who actually just go in and put in an honest day's work like a normal person, but that feels few and far between

- Agree that a real career requires sacrifice and that the various find your passion slogans are cope

- Your story I think reveals a major part of this whole discussion, which is the scope of your job and responsibilities. In your case, I completely agree with you and would have made time to be on that call. In my tech support days, I got to the point where I was one of the people that was called when things *seriously* went wrong. I know there are people who have worked longer/harder/more often on these situations than me, but I've had to do weekend/overnight work because certain systems were completely down. Never missed or refused a call

But even within that scope, there were problems. Because the other qualified people were laid off, I was in situations where I was fielding calls for issues that the average representative should have been able to handle. I took all those calls when they came, but afterwards there were repeated, unhappy discussions. I suppose this makes me not the best employee. I'm sure this happens in other first world countries, but my feeling is there's something about American work culture in particular where you throw on-call work to employees that's not really appropriate and there's no incentive for you to do anything better.

But still, frivolous calls aside, when you're in a role like that you have to be available at all times because whatever's going on is important and cannot wait.

But not every job is like this. In the analytics role I'm in now, we had some higher ups who would email on weekends/Holidays requesting stuff be looked at. I had left tech support for a reason and did not make myself available for these requests. There were other Analysts that did. They all got burnt out and quit. We do not get weekend/Holiday requests anymore. I see nothing about this that is objectionable. If you need a piece of data for a presentation on Monday, you should be responsible enough to ask for it beforehand. This is not an endorsement of clock watching. If you know something needs to be done for Thursday, you don't quit on Wednesday at five if it's not done. If someone's booked for meetings all day, you can do a call at 5:30 when they're actually available. But when you send me something on Friday at 2pm that requires me to work until 10pm, and it's for a presentation you knew you had to do for two weeks, it's disrespectful to me.

And this I think is the fundamental tension. Most people do not work jobs where they actually need to be available 24/7 or work 60 hours a week, but have to deal with and be judged by workaholics.

Me as well; I embraced the GE mentality full on (and still do to a degree; it was harsh in some ways, but it was reality, as much as we want to deny it).

GE mentality?

Some of my views here still reflect that.  It's interesting, because I've watched my boss grow (he's younger than me by about 10 years).  He came from a BIG law firm (most of you know them even if you don't know them) and had that "you're MINE!" mentality.  I've seen it soften over the 5 years I've worked for him.  Kids and a health scare will do that to you. He's a lot closer to balance now and it so happens that we're on the same page more or less.

I think a lot of people either don't have these experiences or just disregard them and go into workaholic mode anyway.

You did it right, IMO.  Do your thing but don't take advantage.  I love that you didn't (seem to) feel "entitled" to take off because "insert lame-o reason".  I've argued with my wife about this a bit; she comes from a blue collar family - nothing wrong with that, so did I - but it's easier to put the phone down when you're off when you're an electrician or mechanic.  No car, there's nothing to work on. No electrical panel, there's nothing to work on.   Mine is a profession of ideas, more or less, and I can - and have, by the way, more or less - bring value on a phone call while I'm riding the Dr. Seuss rides at Universal. If they don't get the answer from me, they WILL get it from somewhere. 

I have been here before and ultimately did not find being in this position rewarding. Perhaps if it were a different job/line of work.

I'm watching this with my kids now.  My oldest daughter got her first job and showed up five minutes late to a reaming from her boss (also the owner).  She was all "fucking bitch, it was five minutes, get off my back".   Now she's at a place in NC where she's not an owner, but they share revenue, and she's learning what it means to have expenses and have revenue, and she's all "I'm there 15 minutes before my shift, because I am not earning when I'm prepping my equipment, and those other ho's better be ready to work as well".  Okay, my words, but still, the idea is there.

Yup.

My other daughter works at a Mexican chain restaurant that isn't Moe's or Taco Bell, and she's learned the hard way that people that wake up hungover and call in at the last minute impact everyone else.

Regardless of whatever else I think this kind of stuff is unacceptable.

Her tips go down when the line is short one worker.   She's also recognized that if she leaves some time open, she can pick up extra shifts being the person that will come in at short notice when someone else calls out.  As a result, while the region policy is if you don't work for three months you are purged from the system (essentially let go), she's been told "as long as you want to work here, you've got a job, we'll figure it out".  It's not rocket science: work is not an entitlement. 

Agreed and good on her.

I never said I don't sympathize; this is a guy that, back in college, wouldn't walk into a classroom if the class already started, because I was so embarrassed. For me, the two hardest things in the world to do are to resign a job and break up with a girlfriend.  I wouldn't break up with a girlfriend by email either.  No one said it was easy; my point is only to say that we shouldn't expect the world to revolve around what we feel is "easy".   

I think we agree on this.

In concept, I agree, but this is a case where the general and the specific don't line up.  Because the system might be skewed in certain circumstances doesn't make any one individual case justified.  That the State of California fucked up the evidence in the OJ case doesn't mean I can destroy evidence in MY case.   We're also talking about the interface of the individual to the collective; the company is NOT a person in this context, and it's not as if there aren't other repercussions to the company.  The fired employee can always raise awareness about how a company handles it's employment practices.  How many people to this day know the name "Neutron Jack"?  And finally, how the company handles other severances isn't my business; I'm not privy to all the facts necessary to make that determination fairly, so I can only go on what I know.  FOR ME, I have hard evidence that how one does things matters, and that the easy way isn't always the best way.  There are no laws; if you give two weeks, two days, or two minutes notice, it's on you as long as you can bear the consequences.

I have never quite a job without notice and would not do so. I find providing professional courtesy to be important. But if everyone thinks and acts as I do, then how does anything change?
Over and over again

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2022, 12:07:41 PM »
Aren't you just picking and choosing who gets chewed up though?

No. Safety nets exist so that no-one goes kerrsplat.

It's sort of axiomatic that if you take one group from a situation that they don't thrive in and change the situation until they DO thrive, that those that thrived (throve?) in the first situation might not necessarily thrive in the new one?

Not "thriving" quite so well is for me at least, not quite on the same level of detriment as the worst outcomes of American style capitalism and people living on less than subsistence wages or benefits, or needing to choose between food and insulin.

You're making value judgements that aren't consistent across the various outcomes. Why is the opposite of "thrive in high-stakes or high stress situations to rise higher and excel/achieve more" just "not thriving quite so well" but those that don't find massive success are "chewed up by the system"?  Seems like the judgment is driving the outcome, not the other way around.  In any event, these are not binary statements.  There are too many variables, including the underlying assumptions that go into the equations, at play here.   There's not a system or scheme in the world that entitles ANYONE to "success" simply because they are human.  Food, shelter, maybe, but that's not a corporations duty and shouldn't be.  Don't make corporations be more than they are.  I don't necessarily agree with entitlements of any kind, but even if I was, that's a function of government, not corporations.   I'd much rather have the government give a handout to those truly in need, than to arbitrarily hamstring corporations to some fickle standard whether it's truly needed or not.

I agree. Why support a system that discourages the compassion, cooperation, and sense of community that are necessary for humanity to thrive? (See what I did there? :P)

Yes, you relocated the goalposts from the end of the pitch to the parking lot.   None of those things are NECESSARY for humanity to thrive, first, and nothing about what we're talking about necessarily discourages compassion, cooperation, or sense of community.  I could not do what I do without certainly the latter two.  Me taking personal responsibility for my outcomes is not by definition a lack of compassion on anyone else's part.

If you're talking about a certain subset of bad acts or malfeasance, there's no reason we can't fix those isolated instances without scrapping and indicting the entire system. 

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2022, 12:10:02 PM »
And we've veered right into P/R territory.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2022, 12:11:52 PM »

Maybe, maybe not. Your call not mine, but I don't mean it politically, I mean it more philosophically.   I'm talking about mindsets of individuals, not social constructs or political platforms. 

Online Skeever

« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2022, 02:11:17 PM »
I've argued with my wife about this a bit; she comes from a blue collar family - nothing wrong with that, so did I - but it's easier to put the phone down when you're off when you're an electrician or mechanic.  No car, there's nothing to work on. No electrical panel, there's nothing to work on.   Mine is a profession of ideas, more or less, and I can - and have, by the way, more or less - bring value on a phone call while I'm riding the Dr. Seuss rides at Universal. If they don't get the answer from me, they WILL get it from somewhere. 

I'd say this is true, but it's also easier to pick your phone up when you're not a mechanic or an electrician. Just look around the forums. Most people willing to talk about the jobs here seem to do desk work. I'd imagine it's much harder to be an active poster if you're a plumber or something like that. You can't pick the phone up and browse the forums while you're looking at an electric panel or under the hood of car.

I'm not saying blue collar work is necessarily harder. I've done a little bit of both. And both have their ups and downs. During peak periods of frustration, I've found myself aggravated by the fact that I'm "always on". Even when I'm sick or kids are sick, I'm finding ways to join meetings and make sure my cohorts do not have to cover for any of my work that can't wait. And like you, I've put in time on nights and weekends - too many than I can remember - for my company. FFS, I easily put in 40 hours the first week of the year, if not more, and that was while I had COVID and was also co-caring for my son who had COVID.

Most of my friends and I share left-of-center politics when it comes to labor, and I have other salaried white-collar friends who would never work while sick or dial in to a meeting their day-off, despite the fact that they just as easily could. I do envy them, and sometimes I wish I had the same mentality where I felt better about sticking up for myself like that. But also, I've come to terms with the fact that maybe the trade-off is something I'm willing to accept. I have a lot of leniency that hourly and blue-collar workers might not have - working from home when I need to, set "more or less" my own hours (normal business hours are still highly encouraged), no need to travel in inclement weather when I can just as easily work from home, and so on. The trade-off is that I'm there for the company when I'm needed, even if that's late into the evening or on the weekends.

Isn't that what everyone wants? I don't care about how much (or how little) I need to work - I want the pay we agreed to for me to do my job and I want the trust and flexibility that I can make the best choice for when and how that job gets done. But I understand where my friends are coming from, too. Much of the rigid way we work, from the 40 hour work week to sick time, were bargained for. Some jobs can never be as flexible as others, but I'm happy with my current work arrangement. I'll stay up to midnight reviewing contracts when it's needed if it means that no one cares (or even necessarily notices) that spent Wednesday morning reading for pleasure.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2022, 02:51:05 PM »
I'd say this is true, but it's also easier to pick your phone up when you're not a mechanic or an electrician. Just look around the forums. Most people willing to talk about the jobs here seem to do desk work. I'd imagine it's much harder to be an active poster if you're a plumber or something like that. You can't pick the phone up and browse the forums while you're looking at an electric panel or under the hood of car.

I'm not saying blue collar work is necessarily harder. I've done a little bit of both. And both have their ups and downs. During peak periods of frustration, I've found myself aggravated by the fact that I'm "always on". Even when I'm sick or kids are sick, I'm finding ways to join meetings and make sure my cohorts do not have to cover for any of my work that can't wait. And like you, I've put in time on nights and weekends - too many than I can remember - for my company. FFS, I easily put in 40 hours the first week of the year, if not more, and that was while I had COVID and was also co-caring for my son who had COVID.

Most of my friends and I share left-of-center politics when it comes to labor, and I have other salaried white-collar friends who would never work while sick or dial in to a meeting their day-off, despite the fact that they just as easily could. I do envy them, and sometimes I wish I had the same mentality where I felt better about sticking up for myself like that. But also, I've come to terms with the fact that maybe the trade-off is something I'm willing to accept. I have a lot of leniency that hourly and blue-collar workers might not have - working from home when I need to, set "more or less" my own hours (normal business hours are still highly encouraged), no need to travel in inclement weather when I can just as easily work from home, and so on. The trade-off is that I'm there for the company when I'm needed, even if that's late into the evening or on the weekends.

Isn't that what everyone wants? I don't care about how much (or how little) I need to work - I want the pay we agreed to for me to do my job and I want the trust and flexibility that I can make the best choice for when and how that job gets done. But I understand where my friends are coming from, too. Much of the rigid way we work, from the 40 hour work week to sick time, were bargained for. Some jobs can never be as flexible as others, but I'm happy with my current work arrangement. I'll stay up to midnight reviewing contracts when it's needed if it means that no one cares (or even necessarily notices) that spent Wednesday morning reading for pleasure.

Well, that's the rub, isn't it?  I don't know if that IS what everyone wants.  I have this conversation with my wife and (step) kids all the time; they talk in terms of "hourly rate".   When I first started nosing around his mom, my stepson asked me what my "hourly rate" is.  I told him my annual salary, and he looked at me funny because he couldn't relate.   And I told him; I don't worry about "hours".  I worry about whether the pay I bring every two weeks - all in pay, including benefits and what not - is worth my time and work/life balance.

To my mind it's like anything else; it's your perspective.  I don't look at corporations as evil creatures looking to fuck me over at every turn.   They aren't my friend, either, but they are a tool I can use, or not, to achieve my goals in this world.   But we have to remember that the world isn't cut into nice black and white squares.  Sometimes there's gray, sometimes there just is no color, per se.  We live in an increasingly entitled society.  Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country can do for you. Insert "corporation" in there if need be.   I think we want our cake and we want to eat it too.  We want the spoils, the rewards, without the effort or sacrifice.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2022, 03:05:03 PM »

Maybe, maybe not. Your call not mine, but I don't mean it politically, I mean it more philosophically.   I'm talking about mindsets of individuals, not social constructs or political platforms. 

Well lets do our best to discuss philosophically why Capitalism is inferior to socialism without making it political then. :P :D

You're making value judgements that aren't consistent across the various outcomes. Why is the opposite of "thrive in high-stakes or high stress situations to rise higher and excel/achieve more" just "not thriving quite so well" but those that don't find massive success are "chewed up by the system"?

They aren't. People who thrive in high-stakes environments are on the opposite end of the line to those who get chewed up, and the moderately successful/mediocre people lie somewhere between them. Let me use the power of graphs produced in MS paint to demonstrate my point:

Consider the x-axis as an aggregated measure of time spent to work combined with available income and free time (i.e. quality of life), with sad skeleton dying at the origin of the graph, The Chad elon musk chilling at X -> infinity, and me enjoying a vaguely comfortable middle class existance a bit above the "I need to choose between bread and heating this month" line. I know this will annoy the shit out of you for oversimplifying , but I can't draw 10 dimensional graphs in MSPaint. :P In the USA system (blue curve) the system alllows for the Chad Elon Musks of the world to excel and create Fortune 500 companies using their parents Emerald mine money, and so you get some hyper success stories out of the systems, however similarly you will end up a bunch of people below the "heating or bread" line due to the comparatively shit protections this system provides for people who cannot succeed in it. Conversely, a social democratic system with safety nets and more workers rights like Sweden (purple line) will not produce as many (or perhaps any) people in the extreme high of the graph, but does have the advantage of ensuring that nearly all (or at least a much much higher percentage) of the population is above the "bread or heating" line. The safety nets pull them up out of the danger zone.

From a philosophical and practical standpoint, I personally view any system that allows, and in some cases encourages a situation where a significant segment of its population to fall below the "bread or heating" line is not one that produces a productive population, nor is it one that reflects values I cherish in a society. I personally do not care how many Musks the system produces, the existence of the sad skeletons makes that metric irrelevant by any standards I wish to judge a society's success by.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2022, 03:29:45 PM »

Well lets do our best to discuss philosophically why Capitalism is inferior to socialism without making it political then. :P :D

You're making value judgements that aren't consistent across the various outcomes. Why is the opposite of "thrive in high-stakes or high stress situations to rise higher and excel/achieve more" just "not thriving quite so well" but those that don't find massive success are "chewed up by the system"?

They aren't. People who thrive in high-stakes environments are on the opposite end of the line to those who get chewed up, and the moderately successful/mediocre people lie somewhere between them. Let me use the power of graphs produced in MS paint to demonstrate my point:

Consider the x-axis as an aggregated measure of time spent to work combined with available income and free time (i.e. quality of life), with sad skeleton dying at the origin of the graph, The Chad elon musk chilling at X -> infinity, and me enjoying a vaguely comfortable middle class existance a bit above the "I need to choose between bread and heating this month" line. I know this will annoy the shit out of you for oversimplifying , but I can't draw 10 dimensional graphs in MSPaint. :P In the USA system (blue curve) the system alllows for the Chad Elon Musks of the world to excel and create Fortune 500 companies using their parents Emerald mine money, and so you get some hyper success stories out of the systems, however similarly you will end up a bunch of people below the "heating or bread" line due to the comparatively shit protections this system provides for people who cannot succeed in it. Conversely, a social democratic system with safety nets and more workers rights like Sweden (purple line) will not produce as many (or perhaps any) people in the extreme high of the graph, but does have the advantage of ensuring that nearly all (or at least a much much higher percentage) of the population is above the "bread or heating" line. The safety nets pull them up out of the danger zone.

I get your point.  I don't agree with it, not because you oversimplified, but you made up the relationships, AND confused my position at the same time.  I said several posts ago that if it's a case of being below the "bread/heat" line, and not by choice, the government can and should help you.  That's not capitalism or socialism, in the sense we mean it here, that's compassion, and I say that because it's not the economy's job to effect that, nor is it a corporation's job.  They are merely actors in whatever economy we choose.  My arguments are never about sacrificing the can'ts, because it's not a black and white zero sum game.   I'm fine with taking the money we spend on enforcing bullshit morals laws and putting to good use for the people that CAN'T.   I'm talking about that other species, the "won'ts".  I forget who it was (so don't get mad at me) but there was someone here a couple years ago that was out of work, got a job offer, and decided to stay on the dole because they didn't want to shave their beard.  Are you fucking kidding me?  There's no plan in capitalism OR socialism for that.   

From a philosophical and practical standpoint, I personally view any system that allows, and in some cases encourages a situation where a significant segment of its population to fall below the "bread or heating" line is not one that produces a productive population, nor is it one that reflects values I cherish in a society. I personally do not care how many Musks the system produces, the existence of the sad skeletons makes that metric irrelevant by any standards I wish to judge a society's success by.

Again, though, you're conflating things.  The system DOESN'T encourage what you think it does.  Does it reward behavior that not all of us approve of?  Sure.  We can always take one or two outliers and use that to form the basis of our model.  Elon Musk is not indicative of our system.  And we can take appropriate measures to counter that (and we do, here in the States).   The system isn't here to choose what moral or value system it wants to cater to.  After a certain level, you get your choice; you can hump and grind 80 hour weeks if you want, you can travel 28 days a month if you want, you can invest in water-powered cars if you want, but there's a bare minimum that requires your full attention and participation.  That applies to socialism OR capitalism, it's just where the proceeds go.   The systems require and are predicated on the same effort from everyone, up to their capabilities.  The rewards are the same, it just goes in a different direction.   

I would go so far as to say the WON'T's - as opposed to the CAN'T's - are just as much a liability in either system.  It's apochryphal, and makes too many assumptions, but the story about the professor that failed his entire class, then averaged all the grades and gave the same grade to everyone illustrates this.    Take a guess how many millionaires there are in America?  Then guess how many homeless.   What'd'ya think, a million millionaires?   Two million homeless? Three?  Right, it's got to be that way, because we've been told over and over and over and over that the system is fucked.

22 million millionaires.
550,000 homeless.

(And not for nothing, but read that first article:  [Hogan] found that about 97% of millionaires surveyed believed they were in control of their own destiny. That far exceeds the 55% of the general population surveyed who hold that view.)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2022, 03:38:02 PM »
Is homelessness a good singular metric for poverty?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2022, 01:42:16 PM »
Is homelessness a good singular metric for poverty?

Singular?  No.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2022, 06:50:01 AM »
So why do you think that stating there are 40x more millionaires than homeless people is a good metric that supports your point?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 07:08:45 AM by XJDenton »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2022, 09:04:33 AM »
So why do you think that stating there are 40x more millionaires than homeless people is a good metric that supports your point?

While there are other variables in play, it does present a relative measure of where the extremes might be.  The perception from some sources - the media, some left-leaning politicians in the US - that we're a debauched society of a few haves and the rest of us are foraging in dumpsters to survive.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2022, 09:07:56 AM »
I'm not sure I ever made that argument. My argument is that the US has more people below the poverty line than socially democratic countries because the safety nets that are in place are weaker and less effective.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2022, 09:26:13 AM »
I'm not sure I ever made that argument. My argument is that the US has more people below the poverty line than socially democratic countries because the safety nets that are in place are weaker and less effective.

And I'm (admittedly obliquely) making the point that whether we have more or less people under the poverty line isn't a function of the degree of social democracy.  It's a different mechanism, to be sure.  We have the third-most millionaires of any country per capita, so success is possible in our system, and we need to stop with cheap political solutions and figure out how to share that success and/or create a non-system-based safety net.  I don't object to the safety net for the CAN'Ts.  It's WHAT the safety net is that is at issue.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2022, 09:29:22 AM »
Hmmm.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2022, 05:46:10 AM »
Not sure simply having $1M more in assets than liabilities is a reasonable measure of "success".  I'm sure there's more than a handful of "millionaires" that can barely sustain themselves (think, someone who owns their home in San Francisco)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2022, 06:19:06 AM »
When I visited Palo Alto there I stayed with a lot of 70-80 year people who owned crappy, run-down Bungalows which were nonetheless valued at multi-million dollars just due to the land they were sitting on. (The science facility I worked at collaborated with them to house longer term researchers since they often had a number of spare rooms in the house).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2022, 07:32:00 AM »
Not sure simply having $1M more in assets than liabilities is a reasonable measure of "success".  I'm sure there's more than a handful of "millionaires" that can barely sustain themselves (think, someone who owns their home in San Francisco)

Look, I'm with you, generally; but why does that matter here? There are plenty of people that will take their money in taxes, won't they?  There was a woman on Neal Cavuto a couple years ago that he interviewed and she was advocating for taxing millionaires at 100% of their income.   Ridiculous proposal on about five different levels, but conceptually, we can't have it both ways. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2022, 07:42:48 AM »
The last time I quit a job was 1987.  2 weeks notice.  Now days, :dunno:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2022, 08:36:47 AM »
I like this tactic:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2022, 09:38:43 AM »
I like it when greeting cards are "re-purposed" like that.  :lol

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2022, 02:26:16 PM »
I don't know if it was proper or not but I resigned by email today (followed up very shortly by a call with our head of HR. I gave two weeks...but only because the new place can't start me for three weeks.

Dear [boss],

This letter is to inform you that I am resigning from my position as Senior Director, [dept] at [company], effective [soon].

While I have learned a great deal in my time here and am appreciative of the opportunity, I cannot continue to work in an environment which I am not respected, either professionally or personally. 
  • Professionally, I have repeatedly put tremendous thought, care and effort into badly-needed processes, only to be blocked, sandbagged, or for them to be rejected after roll-out. I have been told to be quiet when I have raised concerns about gaps in business/program strategy. I have consistently been undermined in any workstream I have attempted to lead.
  • Personally, I have been insulted, belittled and denigrated; there has been a pointed lack of apology when these incidents have been raised. Timely feedback has been withheld, only to be weaponized weeks/months later as evidence of my incompetence. Most impactfully, I was told “It’s come back to me that you’ve been saying unkind things about me, and that makes me sad, the same way the GlassDoor reviews did”; this was clearly a message that I am not able trust others to keep confidences, that any concern I expressed would be taken personally, and an implied threat that my job would be imperiled if I did not make management of your ego my top priority. It was also a clearly engineered tactic to trick me into revealing what concern I might have expressed to whom; it is manipulative, controlling, and the farthest thing from [company's] value of “Trust” that I could imagine.

I am departing for a position in which I am confident that I will be valued, respected, and not be subject to abusive management.

I will hand-off any outstanding activities/knowledge to the appropriate parties before my departure.

millahhhh  :millahhhh
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2022, 02:35:16 PM »
Yeah dude I'm glad you're getting out of there. I've seen some dirty stuff in the streets too and it kills you inside you'll be better off
Over and over again

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2022, 02:48:39 PM »
I'm guessing the "take this job and shove it" approach isn't advisable.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2022, 02:53:55 PM »
I'm guessing the "take this job and shove it" approach isn't advisable.  :lol

Even when it's deserved it looks bad.

I saw someone who, during the period of their two weeks notice, left tons of troll comments littered throughout company communications. I and many others thought it was hilarious. But, even some people who also did not like the company thought it was unprofessional.

Even worse, there were issues with his drug test at his new job he wasn't sure would work out. AND management had found out about the trolling. In the end, his drug test went through, he was out, and the comedy was scrubbed. But what if the drug test failed!
Over and over again