Author Topic: Is there a proper way to quit a job?  (Read 7066 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Is there a proper way to quit a job?
« on: January 13, 2022, 08:40:33 PM »
I ask because a co-worker yesterday gave his two weeks notice...by emailing the boss. 

Emailing?  He has worked with us for around two years (give or take, hard to remember exactly), there are around 25 of us in the building, our boss frequently walks around talking to everyone in a casual way (he is not a micromanager at all), and the guy who quit sits about 50 feet from our boss' office, so it's not like our boss is someone he never sees who works four floors up in a huge corporate building.  Is it that hard to have the guts to go in and give notice face to face?   For that guy, it was, I guess.   Just feels like a punk move.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Is there a proper way to quit a job?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 08:55:24 PM »
https://youtu.be/5b9uSvKZ15w

Yeah a bit of a punk move.

The last two jobs I quit I felt bad about having that conversation with my boss. Even though I hated the jobs, I like the people I worked for and worked with. And they valued my work there, even if I was a low wage grunt.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 04:39:52 AM »
How old is he?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 05:35:26 AM »
Early 30s.   He is one those "work smarter, not harder" guys, meaning he does as little as possible, but tries to make it look like he is doing a lot.  I have nothing against the guy, but I won't miss him.  A co-worker had a brief chat with the boss yesterday about him leaving and he got the impression that the boss views it as "no big loss."  I concur.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 05:53:52 AM »
A formal letter of resignation handed to my manager at breakfast is how I did it the one time I left a corporate job.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 06:42:55 AM »
As far as 'professional' jobs.....anytime I've left for a better opportunity I've either called them or spoke directly face to face. I only called the one time in my last position because my boss lived in Colorado and I was in Missouri.

The BS jobs I had in my teens and early twenties....the grass cutting, restaurant etc etc......those exchanges when leaving were usually more brief and rarely if ever involved a two week period.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 06:47:53 AM »
This is the video I thought Chris was going to be linking.  https://youtu.be/9A4UGtM4hDQ?t=115

but yeah... punk/pussy move to do it over email when you work in the same building as your boss.  Can't even really blame it on him being a Millennial!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 06:49:37 AM »
I quit my last job over e-mail. Mostly because 1) My boss had already quit and now I was reporting to his supervisor who worked in a different building. 2) The dude was a total douche. 3) Covid.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 07:55:03 AM »
Honestly, some of these comments seem like old man "Back in my day" comments.

Who cares if it's over email?  It's not a matter of blood honor, it's leaving a job.  As long as it's in writing (and professionally written), and gives at least 2 weeks, I really don't see an issue.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 08:08:45 AM »

Who cares if it's over email?  It's not a matter of blood honor, it's leaving a job.  As long as it's in writing (and professionally written), and gives at least 2 weeks, I really don't see an issue.

So how do Klingons put in their notice?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 08:20:34 AM »
My first job I left, I actually FLEW to my boss's office (actually, my boss's boss, but the guy who hired me and who I felt I should tell the news to).   I later went back to that company, so it was a case of "you reap what you sow".   I've never done that again, but I've always done it in person.   Always a minimum of two weeks, always accompanied by a written letter of resignation. 

Except the one time I was let go, in which case I went back to my office, packed my shit, handed my computer and phone to my suddenly ex-boss and walked out.  I later heard he was pissed he didn't get two weeks from me, and I clearly burned a bridge with that move not only with my direct boss, but his boss (the guy I once flew to see) but I can sleep at night.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2022, 08:30:30 AM »
My first job I left, I actually FLEW to my boss's office (actually, my boss's boss, but the guy who hired me and who I felt I should tell the news to).   I later went back to that company, so it was a case of "you reap what you sow".   I've never done that again, but I've always done it in person.   Always a minimum of two weeks, always accompanied by a written letter of resignation. 

Except the one time I was let go, in which case I went back to my office, packed my shit, handed my computer and phone to my suddenly ex-boss and walked out.  I later heard he was pissed he didn't get two weeks from me, and I clearly burned a bridge with that move not only with my direct boss, but his boss (the guy I once flew to see) but I can sleep at night.

They shit-canned you, but expected you to work another two weeks? It's never happened to me, when I've been "let go" it's typically come with the message that if I come within 1000' of their property I'll be charged with trespassing, but it always seemed to me that when you quit you give 2 weeks, and if they quit on your behalf they get nothing.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 08:36:27 AM by El Barto »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2022, 08:38:40 AM »

They shit-canned you, but expected you to work another two weeks? It's never happened to me, when I've been "let go" it's typically come with the message that if I come within 1000' of their property I'll be charged with trespassing, but it always seemed to me that when you quit you give 2 weeks, and if they quit on your behalf they get nothing.
Exactly.  I've been laid off before, and I was told that morning and given 20 minutes or so to pack up and leave.  2 weeks?  WTF
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2022, 08:39:57 AM »
You give as much notice as you possibly can. I usually give two weeks, but the most recent two jobs I left, which I quit both two months ago, I was leaving them for the NYC Department of Sanitation. I was told a starting date for the job, and unfortunately I was told less than two weeks in advance and being a city job, it’s not the type of job you can say “I need to give at least two weeks to my current employers”. It sucks, and I felt a little bad, but at the end of the day, 95% of jobs will always do what’s in their best interest regardless of any employee’s hurt feelings, so you need to do what’s in your best interest as well, and if you’re able to do so at someone else’s convenience then great but if not that’s okay as well.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 11:32:14 AM by TheCountOfNYC »
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Skeever

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2022, 09:25:01 AM »

Totally agree.

You know what your company thinks about the proper way to fire you? They'll do it the nastiest way they're allowed to, unless they really like you.

Guy obviously found something better - he doesn't owe anyone anything.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2022, 09:34:16 AM »
I would expect my people to talk with me on the phone or in person and that's what I've always done. But I wouldn't get too upset if someone just emailed me.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2022, 09:35:33 AM »
Why is he quitting?  Maybe he didn't like his boss.  Most bosses now days aren't face to face.  All they do is sit in their office and send emails all day.  An email notification could be right up his alley.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2022, 09:37:40 AM »
The email approach also offers a verifiable paper trail.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2022, 09:46:53 AM »
All I know is that when I quit my current job, I'm going out Antonio Brown style!  :hat

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2022, 10:44:22 AM »
The email approach also offers a verifiable paper trail.
There's that, as well.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2022, 10:49:33 AM »
I always quit with a formal two weeks notice. I'll also be rehired at any of my past workplaces.

As a manager who does hire and fire, that shit matters, and is remembered.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2022, 11:27:56 AM »
but yeah... punk/pussy move to do it over email when you work in the same building as your boss.  Can't even really blame it on him being a Millennial!

Pretty much my thoughts.

I get what hef is saying though.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2022, 11:30:42 AM »
As a manager who does hire and fire, that shit matters, and is remembered.

You never forget hey.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2022, 11:36:32 AM »
I never want to burn bridges so I might do both.  First talk in person then email my resignation.  Maybe that's the position I'm in that makes me think that way. 

It also depends on the job.  Low level grocery bagger, won't email but someone in a field that works with inter company emails might.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2022, 12:56:33 PM »

Exactly.  I've been laid off before, and I was told that morning and given 20 minutes or so to pack up and leave.  2 weeks?  WTF

I know, right?  That was sort of my mindset; but I was close with someone who was in my group (and didn't get let go) and that was the feedback.   It is what it is.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2022, 01:10:17 PM »
I guess the personality of the person does matter a bit. I've only had to tell a boss I didn't want to stay once - and this was an internship with a potential job at the end of it, but I just felt quite unhappy and it wasn't what I thought. Even though the guy was nice, it was one of the most awkward and gut-punching talks to have because he got a bit defensive and started throwing some questions back in my face and some comments. If you are the type of person to not like confrontations it might be awkward to bring it up, but also if you feel like the boss might take it a bad way.

But then again doing it over email sounds weird too.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2022, 01:36:36 PM »
I think it really varies based on the job, level, relationship, etc.  If it's someone you've had a long collaborative relationship with, it would be weird to just email, as it would be out of tune with the vibe that you have with the manager.  But in other situations it's not all that weird at all.  And the paper trail is of course important.  Hell, it seems that in some sectors, a text message is a viable way to both resign and terminate.  I don't view resigning in writing as automatic evidence of lack of guts or professionalism.

When I give notice on my current gig, it will be in writing, and the most professionalism I'll be able to muster will be to avoid saying "I will continue to enjoy watching the stock drop from afar as you mismanage this place into the ground". Probably won't give two weeks, as they have not been professional towards me, so I see no reason to go out of my way to make things easier for them.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2022, 02:24:28 PM »
I'm only on the second job of my life, so I only have one example.

My first job I was at for 6 1/2 years. My bosses at the time had bent over backwards to allow me to attend night school and give me a custom schedule to make sure I made what I needed and could still be an asset. I pulled my supervisor and manager into their office and told them directly that the education they helped me attain was already paying off before I had even finished and I got a job offer. They didn't expect to lose me that soon, but totally understood.

The day I went in to pick up my final check, I left personalized thank you cards in their work mailboxes thanking them for everything they did for me. I never did see them after that so I have no idea what their reaction was to my cards, but I hope it was positive.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2022, 02:39:58 PM »
I love that kind of stuff, Prof.  I've never done that, but it would have been a good idea.  I do send thank you notes after any interview.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2022, 03:24:36 PM »
I never want to burn bridges so I might do both.  First talk in person then email my resignation.  Maybe that's the position I'm in that makes me think that way. 

It also depends on the job.  Low level grocery bagger, won't email but someone in a field that works with inter company emails might.

Exactly how I'd do it too.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2022, 03:25:19 PM »
I'm only on the second job of my life, so I only have one example.

My first job I was at for 6 1/2 years. My bosses at the time had bent over backwards to allow me to attend night school and give me a custom schedule to make sure I made what I needed and could still be an asset. I pulled my supervisor and manager into their office and told them directly that the education they helped me attain was already paying off before I had even finished and I got a job offer. They didn't expect to lose me that soon, but totally understood.

The day I went in to pick up my final check, I left personalized thank you cards in their work mailboxes thanking them for everything they did for me. I never did see them after that so I have no idea what their reaction was to my cards, but I hope it was positive.

All class that.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2022, 05:55:39 PM »
I've been laid off before, and I was told that morning and given 20 minutes or so to pack up and leave. 

20 minutes? My last office job I can recall 4 people in my area who were let go, and I'd swear they had no more than 60 seconds at their desks.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2022, 02:36:31 AM »
This is the only proper way to quit a job:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A4UGtM4hDQ
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2022, 03:34:55 AM »
I've been laid off before, and I was told that morning and given 20 minutes or so to pack up and leave. 

20 minutes? My last office job I can recall 4 people in my area who were let go, and I'd swear they had no more than 60 seconds at their desks.

How are you supposed to pack all your shit in under a minute?

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2022, 04:11:09 AM »

How are you supposed to pack all your shit in under a minute?

Yeah, I have, like, tons of my personal shit at my desk. In fact it's pretty much all of the stuff except the PC (and even then, I brought my own mouse because the stock one was shit), the chair and the desk itself. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.