Author Topic: Alex Lifeson announces new band - Envy Of None - first single out now!  (Read 8012 times)

Offline ErHaO

Re: Alex Lifeson announces new band - Envy Of None - first single out now!
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2022, 04:07:12 AM »
I am not a huge Rush fan by any means, so don't mind a (big) detour from that music, but I unfortunately think this is quite bad.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2022, 06:16:11 AM »
Not something I would regularly listen to but I thought it was interesting.

Weird there wasn’t much guitar in it.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2022, 06:51:04 AM »
I really like it honestly! ;D

I honestly didn't expect new music from him would sound like this!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2022, 07:14:56 AM »
I'd be very interested to know if you guys would still like it if you didn't know Alex was involved.

I'm with you.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2022, 07:19:20 AM »
I'm actually digging it. The first thing that came to mind is that the music reminds me of the Wisdom Of Crowds album that Bruce Soord and Jonas Renkse did several years ago. I absolutely love that album and if it bears similarity to that, then I'm in.

I heard some White Moth Black Butterfly in this one.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2022, 07:22:32 AM »
I liked it. It has a nice NIN and late King Crimson vibe to it. And even if Alex wasn't involved I would still listed to this.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2022, 08:57:07 AM »
I checked it out because Alex was involved, but that doesn't equate to automatically liking it. There are projects MP has done that I passed on because the stuff wasn't for me. Big Elf, for example.

Like I mentioned, I got a Wisdom Of Crowds vibe from this. At the time that album came out I had no idea who Bruce Soord was and I only checked it out because Jonas sang on it. It was not what I was expecting, but the album blew me away. Just having the reminder forced me to look for that album on vinyl and I just so happened to find a copy.

I also am always on the lookout for female vocals and this also checks that box. I still want to hear some more samples and such but, so far, I'm intrigued.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2022, 09:20:19 AM »
I checked it out because Alex was involved, but that doesn't equate to automatically liking it. There are projects MP has done that I passed on because the stuff wasn't for me. Big Elf, for example.

Like I mentioned, I got a Wisdom Of Crowds vibe from this. At the time that album came out I had no idea who Bruce Soord was and I only checked it out because Jonas sang on it. It was not what I was expecting, but the album blew me away. Just having the reminder forced me to look for that album on vinyl and I just so happened to find a copy.

I also am always on the lookout for female vocals and this also checks that box. I still want to hear some more samples and such but, so far, I'm intrigued.

Wisdom of Crowds was amazing. I believe the only track I didn't enjoy was the last one or second to last one. It had a very different vibe from the rest of the album. But yes, so far, I'm enjoying what I'm hearing with this new Lifeson album. I wasn't expecting any Rush but I was sure I wasn't expecting to be this far from his core guitar sound.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2022, 09:42:36 AM »
I am drawn to the textures in the atmosphere and in the vocals. Alex Lifeson just got me intrigued to listen to it. If I were to have discovered them without the Alex Lifeson marketing, I would still enjoy it.

What draws me to this group are the vocals. Similar to White Moth Black Butterfly, the beauty is in the atmosphere and the vocal textures, plus I enjoy that style of female vocals.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline romdrums

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2022, 10:42:52 AM »
I'm digging this. Not what I expected, but totally cool.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pfillion

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2022, 12:04:35 PM »
Wow, great song. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2022, 01:08:01 PM »
I am drawn to the textures in the atmosphere and in the vocals. Alex Lifeson just got me intrigued to listen to it. If I were to have discovered them without the Alex Lifeson marketing, I would still enjoy it.

What draws me to this group are the vocals. Similar to White Moth Black Butterfly, the beauty is in the atmosphere and the vocal textures, plus I enjoy that style of female vocals.

You're going to say that regardless because its too late, you know he's involved.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2022, 01:29:03 PM »
I don't think so Kade. The group that likes this style while the headbangers don't. 

I'll be honest. I expected more guitar from Lifeson so I was thrown off.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2022, 01:49:12 PM »
As usual, I'm the iconoclast....  I sort of like that style to a degree but not what I heard.  Alex or no. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2022, 01:50:00 PM »
I liked what I heard, except for the lyrics. Pretty bad lyrics, but the music was pretty cool. Having Alex doesn't impact my appreciation, though it does obviously my (and most here) exposure to the song.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2022, 02:09:50 PM »
I don't think so Kade. The group that likes this style while the headbangers don't. 

I'll be honest. I expected more guitar from Lifeson so I was thrown off.

I'm a stubborn bastard Joe and while I don't think I'm going change my view, I do feel you that I personally simply don't like this style so I'd hate it no matter what.  So I see your point.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2022, 02:11:48 PM »
I'm more open but it was a shock not to hear Alex more in the forefront. That's what I expected. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2022, 02:26:15 PM »

You're going to say that regardless because its too late, you know he's involved.

Alex Lifeson is not why I am attracted to the song though. It's completely left field for Alex Lifeson and doesn't have much of his guitar work he is famous for. Which interests me more that he chose to explore a vastly different musical genre.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2022, 02:36:04 PM »
I'm more open but it was a shock not to hear Alex more in the forefront. That's what I expected.

I think all Rush fans would.

Online faizoff

« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2022, 02:55:36 PM »
That song was awesome. Alex or not. Definitely had some Porcupine Tree and NIN vibes among other things.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2022, 04:30:05 PM »
I'm happy he's doing stuff, and totally respect that it's different from Rush.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 12:11:46 AM by DoctorAction »
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2022, 06:27:53 PM »
I really question the ears of anyone who doesn't hear Lifeson. He's very audibly there and doing his thing. You know the dude exists outside the context of Geddy and Neil right? 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2022, 08:04:44 PM »
I'd be very interested to know if you guys would still like it if you didn't know Alex was involved.

I'd probably be less likely to check out the rest of the album based off of this one song if it didn't have Alex, but it does, so I will.

I really question the ears of anyone who doesn't hear Lifeson. He's very audibly there and doing his thing. You know the dude exists outside the context of Geddy and Neil right?

Agreed.  There is a clean guitar line in there that is very much in his classic style.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2022, 08:09:52 PM »
Disagree.  Sonically,  this is dense.  Like his solo album. The only dense sounding Rush album was Vapor Trails.   Sonically,  this is different for Alex and that's what I meant. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2022, 08:11:05 PM »
Sure, I get what you mean regarding the overall sound, but that guitar line in there is easy to recognize as Alex's.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2022, 09:13:25 PM »
Considering the negative reaction I was expecting much much worse. This is actually legit good. It’s got that 90’s UK industrial sound ala Cuve, VAST, the Cure, Paradise Lost during their wimpy period etc. This is actually solid if you’re into that sound. Would fit right at home on The Crow Soundtrack lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2022, 07:05:10 AM »

Whether I like it or not (and as I noted, I didn't really get far enough to hear any distinctive Alex; maybe I'll suffer another listen) I DO agree with this.  He's not here on this planet to make music just so I like it.  He's a musician and is here to follow his muse wherever it takes him. If I can go along for the ride, more the better, but that's just dumb luck more often than not.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2022, 07:37:12 AM »

Whether I like it or not (and as I noted, I didn't really get far enough to hear any distinctive Alex; maybe I'll suffer another listen) I DO agree with this.  He's not here on this planet to make music just so I like it.  He's a musician and is here to follow his muse wherever it takes him. If I can go along for the ride, more the better, but that's just dumb luck more often than not.

*Presses this through Stadler to English Google Translator*

”It sucks, but whatever”
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2022, 07:52:13 AM »

”It sucks, but whatever”

:rollin :rollin

Offline Kram

« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2022, 09:29:05 AM »
I thought it sounded pretty good for what it is (the style of music I mean).  Wasn't expecting anything close to Rush, and it's not.  So yeah, if you're trying to compare this to Rush, you'll be pretty disappointed.  With that said, will I pickup the album?  Probably not - unless I hear some more of it that blows me away, as this style is really not my cup of tea.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2022, 10:12:07 AM »
It reminded me of Garbage. For the right and the wrong reasons...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2022, 01:03:06 PM »

”It sucks, but whatever”

Word for word.   :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2022, 01:03:49 PM »

I'd like to hear more, because I LOVE Garbage; this had none of the character and spunk that Shirley Manson brings to the table.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2022, 03:44:37 PM »

Reminded me of garbage too.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2022, 04:29:42 PM »
Not bad. It reminds me of The Birthday Massacre, and is actually better than what they released on their last album and newest single.