Author Topic: Say something positive about your least favorite DT song(s)  (Read 8459 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Say something positive about your least favorite DT song(s)
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2022, 02:29:21 PM »
Even though the guest vocals ruin the entire track, there is some decent riffage in "Lines In The Sand".

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2022, 02:42:23 PM »
I mean has Petrucci ever laid down a bad solo? Dude is dependable.

I wouldn't say 'bad', but definitely not all of his solos are equally good. He has a few duds here and there I suppose.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2022, 05:36:54 PM »
I mean has Petrucci ever laid down a bad solo? Dude is dependable.

I wouldn't say 'bad', but definitely not all of his solos are equally good. He has a few duds here and there I suppose.

A Nightmare to Remember comes to mind. Not the first solo in between verse one and two, but the entire solo section after the beautiful agony part, both JP and JR laid down some pretty uninspired solos. John’s were better than Jordan’s, but they are among the worst solos in both of their repertoires.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline The Realm

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2022, 05:56:14 PM »
New Millennium - I love that it is the first song on the album and easy to skip. I can see that You Not Me gets a pretty bad rap but it is a song I rarely skip compared to New Millennium which I just find boring and uninspiring. At least You Not Me has an identity (just not one normally associated with Dream Theater...)

Online Pettor

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2022, 01:12:41 AM »
Tbh I think there's worse songs on WDADU but they are still creative and inspired and I never listen to that album so I won't include them. My second least favorite album is FII and that's mainly beacuase it's dragged down by dull songs like You Not Me. That is always the song that comes to mind when I think of the most dull moment in DT history. So what is a good thing about it 🤔 I think the mixing is quite good and if I focus the Petrucci solo has some cool stuff and the dramatic strings during the outro sounds cool!

I think the whole "happy when it ends" is way to easy and kind of jumping around the subject btw.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2022, 03:16:28 AM »
My favorite part of Repentance….when it’s over.

Damn right.  Also, I'm sure they meant well (which is about the only positive thing I can think to say about that song and The Great Debate and New Millennium).

You guys don’t even like the guitar solo?  It’s not a good song, I grant you, and that speaking bit at the end goes on waaaaaaay too long but that’s an awesome JP solo.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2022, 03:18:44 AM »
As for my least favourite DT song, I honestly don’t like anything about Never Enough.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2022, 07:43:04 AM »
Hmmm...something positive?  I won't mention them cause there's a lot, but whenever they come up on a playlist, they're easily skippable.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2022, 07:45:22 AM »
I guess Hollow Years has that nice Budokan version. Honor Thy Father has that cool drum intro.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2022, 09:50:28 AM »

Damn right.  Also, I'm sure they meant well (which is about the only positive thing I can think to say about that song and The Great Debate and New Millennium).

You guys don’t even like the guitar solo?  It’s not a good song, I grant you, and that speaking bit at the end goes on waaaaaaay too long but that’s an awesome JP solo.

I have no recollection of the solo (what's the approximate time stamp where it starts), but there's no guitar solo that's ever been recorded that could save that song.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2022, 12:36:07 PM »
As for my least favourite DT song, I honestly don’t like anything about Never Enough.

It's probably the best Muse song ever written :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Schurftkut

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2022, 02:44:57 PM »
 i was going to mention New Millennium, but i think build me up is worse.
i do like the mix of both tracks.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2022, 06:50:10 PM »

I have no recollection of the solo (what's the approximate time stamp where it starts), but there's no guitar solo that's ever been recorded that could save that song.

Not suggesting it saves the song, just in terms of the thread of it being a positive thing about a song you don’t like.

I actually just listened to it again and it wasn’t quite as good as I remembered.  Starts about 4:30ish anyway if you wanted to listen.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2022, 09:26:29 AM »

Not suggesting it saves the song, just in terms of the thread of it being a positive thing about a song you don’t like.

I actually just listened to it again and it wasn’t quite as good as I remembered.  Starts about 4:30ish anyway if you wanted to listen.

I just listened.  It's fine but not all that interesting.  It's worth noting that I'm not a big fan of guitar solos in general, so it takes a lot for a solo to stand out on a song I do like (much less one I dislike).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Trav86

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2022, 11:38:33 AM »
Repentance has a great guitar solo.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline BeardedGentlemanHistorian

« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2022, 07:34:56 AM »
The Best of Times - The music is great, the solos are amazing. The trite lyrics are the biggest knock against it.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2022, 08:06:07 AM »
^
Sadly agree.

Lyrics for The Great Debate.  A solution is this version stripped of vocals    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYgAGFLHwHg
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2022, 08:19:01 AM »
I am happy that there are a devoted few you adore the Astonishing from start to finish—the album is so not for me, but the fact that it is not universally derided (like St. Anger) shows that DT at least accomplished what they were going for.

Offline DT1138

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2022, 05:09:22 PM »
Wither....I like the fact that I can skip the song entirely and/or completely delete it off of my PC.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2022, 04:17:59 AM »
I really appreciate that my copy of The Astonishing doesn't have legs so it can't get up and put itself in my cd player.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2022, 11:12:05 AM »
The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun: I like the title and I like the intro.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2022, 11:21:51 AM »
I really appreciate that my copy of The Astonishing doesn't have legs so it can't get up and put itself in my cd player.

:lol :lol

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2022, 05:43:08 PM »

savage.  :omg:
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2022, 01:34:09 PM »
Hot take coming in:

I'm glad that Black Clouds and Silver Linings inspired a lineup change.  :corn
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline brents319

« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2022, 04:06:18 PM »
You not me - i like the band that plays it

HILARIOUS...I literally laughed out loud.  Thanks for that.  Interestingly, maybe ironically, I like this song quite a bit.

Offline brents319

« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2022, 04:07:35 PM »

OMG...that is hilarious.  This one is pretty low on my list as well.

Offline brents319

« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2022, 04:11:26 PM »
If I have to pick one...it would probably be New Millennium.  That being said...I do like the way James uses his voice in multiple parts.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2022, 08:07:21 PM »
Ok, so some of you all are not answered in the spirit I had hoped. But you are making me chuckle, so I'll let it slide.  :)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2022, 06:25:27 AM »
Hot take coming in:

I agree.
Glad Mangini joined after that.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2022, 05:13:17 PM »
At least they ripped off Kansas in that end section.

:lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2022, 10:33:42 AM »
Hot take coming in:

I agree.
Glad Mangini joined after that.

I was sad to see Portnoy leave. He was a huge influence on me when I played drums. I remember my Dad got me Budokan because it had that "drummer with the big drum set from Modern Drummer Magazine"

However, when I heard who replaced him, I was floored. Mangini is a monster behind the kit and suits the band very well. I feel the band has been able to explore new territory without the Portnoy OCD touch on literally everything.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline finzeo

« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2022, 10:16:35 AM »
Viper King.

It's nice that it's a tribute to one of rock's founding bands

Offline don_waka

« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2022, 11:23:39 AM »
Remember when Trump and Clinton were asked to say something positive about the other during a debate. How wonderfully awkward that was!

So, I was revisiting a couple of my least favorite DT songs after seeing them on the Top 100 list, and thought "surely there is something in this song I like!"

The Dark Eternal Night:
1) The 'Drifting beyond all time" vocal part is cool and dare I say fun to sing along with.
2) The guitar riff at the end.

Constant Motion
1) The instrumental part after the second verse around 4:00-4:30 is pretty solid.

Those are actually my two least favorite songs  :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2022, 08:06:27 PM »
Hot take coming in:

So which songs are you referring to? (the subject of the thread)

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2022, 06:20:29 PM »
Even though I think the song is way too long for it’s own good, I think Repentance has a good solo and I actually kinda like the risk they took with getting all different musicians to come and confess to their own problems with addiction.

Space Dye Vest has a really interesting vibe to it, and even though I really wish it wasn’t on Awake a d definitely shouldn’t have been the closer, it’s a very unique song that I don’t know would’ve fit anywhere else. It’s also super cool that the main riff shows up in The Mirror a few times to give it a whole different context. 
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.