Author Topic: Battlebots Season 6 Starts Tonight! Let's keep score! I will 3D print a trophy  (Read 4865 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
I was very disappointed with that episode. That might have been Discovery's biggest blunder since taking control.

For starters, it's a two hour show and we are into the championship bracket. It is inexcusable that there were teams that didn't get their fight on TV. Fucking Copperhead has had TWO televised fights (3 fights total) and they're in the round of 16. To rub salt in the wound, instead of another fight, we got segments like that one with the teams just saying other bots that they liked.

What the fuck were they doing with the bracket? I get it.... I take this way too seriously. But this is something silly that my friends and I look forward to every year, and have done so for a few years now. We're not alone either. We weren't able to actually go into this week's episode with our brackets filled out because of the 31 and 32 spot fight-ins. That seemed kind of dumb to begin with, but then the episode started and those weren't the first fights. They started the bracket before showing the final 32 teams. Then they finally do the fight in match and we were able to at least fill out the left half of our brackets, only for them to dump Glitch at the last second. I had only printed 1 copy of the bracket for each of us, so that move kind of boned us.   

We're just going to say fuck it next week and do a bracket for the final 16 starting the following.

I don't know what Discovery was thinking with that episode.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 05:57:15 AM by Chino »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I'm not quite as 'in' to it as you are, but I can't disagree with any of that.  It is absolutely inexcusable to show a montage of a fight.  2hr show means you have 84 minutes of content to fill.  9 fights - max 3 minutes each is 27 of those minute.  FFS, there is NO reason why all fights shouldn't be shown in their entirety.  I always power thru the 5-minutes of buildup (Pre interviews; Bot-whisperer analysis; "Robots activate" ... "Fight" chant).  If they need to edit anything, edit that down to 30 seconds.  Building the tension is not more important than the actual fight itself.  I get the entrance is important because of the sponsors getting their airtime, but everything else can be pared down to 30-60 seconds afaic.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Yeah, it seemed very weird that all the tournament fights weren't being aired.

Glitch being out is a huge hit. If I recall it was their weapon that wasn't working, I kinda wish they would have just thrown the bot out there without a weapon and tried to outlast and push around. Mammoth got a huge second chance and did nothing with it.

To me the theme of that episode, was the number of fights that went the full three minutes even though we knew full well who the unanimous victor would be.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
At least those "unaired" fights are available on YT now.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I guess Discovery got the message, by airing the play-in fight first.

Blip looked fucking awesome.  Loved that fight.
No surprise Hydra beat Ribbot. Ribbot got jobbed with that seeding.  Hard to seriously take Hydra as a #31 seed, even with a 1-2 record.
Jackpot v Tombstone - 2-and-done.  Those were massive hits.
Cobalt/Yeti fight was a very good one

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
I fucking love Blip.

My friends and inare doing brackets for the final 16. I might send Blip to the championship, maybe even winning the whole thing.

Hydra took way more hits than I was expecting it to.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
By fast forwarding to just the fights we binged season 3 over the weekend.

Faruq messaged me today that he wasn't feeling well, but my Cameo for the wedding should be done in a few days when he's better. :D
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
Very cool!!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
By fast forwarding to just the fights we binged season 3 over the weekend.

I'm confused ... Is there another way to watch BattleBots??

Faruq messaged me today that he wasn't feeling well, but my Cameo for the wedding should be done in a few days when he's better. :D

:fistpump:

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
Seasons 3+ are on Discovery+.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I was being cheeky (but totally serious too) about the "fast forwarding to just the fights".  Honestly, I can usually pound out a 2 hour episode in 20 minutes or so.  In the tournament, I do watch a bit more of the analysis and pit interviews, but I couldn't care less about the intro or post-fight interview.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
 :lol :lol

I gotcha now.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
A minor mispronunciation on my last name, but this is going to be spectacular.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ojoVjLWVNwmYyE579

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
This is often an over-used word, but epic is appropriate here.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
Well, let's get to the important part of the night. That Minotaur elimination.

Let's start here, there should absolutely have been no timeout. Only one bot was stuck and that clearly only benefitted one team. It should have been a double elimination right there and then whatever the judges decide is fine. But past that, once the fight resumes and you see Minotaur has just enough control not to get counted out... Witch Doctor should have lost any aggression and control points in that final minute leading to a Minotaur victory. They got helped by the refs and then some questionable judging. Just an awful look all around.

From there really wanted Sawblaze to take them out, but they dominated that fight, only to then lose to a bot I would have thought they'd do much better against in Tantrum.

If you had asked which Hill bot wins it all this year, I would have 110% said Blip going into tonight, but good to see that group win it either way.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah... that WD/Mino match was 1/2 great, and 1/2 complete dud.  Really could have gone either way, but the Minotaur crew was way too bitter for a bot that could barely move forward, but they were far from having full control - I can't believe they weren't counted out.  I didn't have a problem with the stoppage - it would've taken probably a minute (if at all) for Mino to get into a position to attack/hit WD and unstick them.  WD crew took a big chance by playing keep away, but clearly got the control and damage points.  I was surprised at the Hydra/Tantrum decision, but after thinking about it, for all those flips, Tantrum was still at 100% full capability - so very little damage taken.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
That was a so-so finale. I didn't win the nut between my friends and I. I am super happy for Tantrum and team. It just sucks to have such a dark cloud over the thing.

Reading the bullets at the top of this thread are kind of a bummer.
https://old.reddit.com/r/battlebots/comments/tysw4a/episode_14_finals_post_episode_discussion/

Not sure if Riobotz will get an invite back next year.

I'm hoping the do away with the shelf and the kill saws and just let the bots fight next year.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
Kill saws are random and never very effective. The biggest effect they have on matches is when bots accidentally get stuck in the holes. I'd be find with losing those.

More importantly though, biggest improvement I'd like to see is much more destructive pulverizers. Give control bots the ability to really do damage if they can meaningfully direct hits with them.

For Minotaur, I think they'll be back. As hot as the driver was, their captain said all the right things and went out of his way to keep his cool and act professionally. I think he'll be able to get them back in. Daniel however, might be a casualty in that deal.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
+1 on the pulverizes.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
For Minotaur, I think they'll be back. As hot as the driver was, their captain said all the right things and went out of his way to keep his cool and act professionally. I think he'll be able to get them back in. Daniel however, might be a casualty in that deal.

Daniel was a bitter douche.  And the shot he took directly at the judges was completely unprofessional.  It's one thing to be upset about a loss, and disagree with the judges (like Jake did).  It's another to verbally attack and insult them.  For 90 seconds of the fight, you didn't have reasonable control of your bot, thus couldn't display any aggression, and didn't inflict any damage.

Thanks for posting that reddit, Brian.  I didn't read thru all of it, but there was a lot of good discourse in there.  The upper deck was maybe a good idea in theory.  But as I always tell people, "in theory, Communism works".  Practically speaking the upper deck added nothing.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
Would you guys be interested in keeping tabs next season for a one-off DTF nut? I've kept a ledger for two different groups this year and it's been a lot of fun.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Would you guys be interested in keeping tabs next season for a one-off DTF nut? I've kept a ledger for two different groups this year and it's been a lot of fun.

There's only 3 of us in this thread.  Is that enough?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator

Jennie would enter her own picks if that helps, bring us to 4.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran

If I offer up a free trophy to the board, I'm sure a few guys would jump in. Even if they didn't watch it every week, they could still participate and make selections every week. I'll start well in advance in promoting it. Your thoughts?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

If I offer up a free trophy to the board, I'm sure a few guys would jump in. Even if they didn't watch it every week, they could still participate and make selections every week. I'll start well in advance in promoting it. Your thoughts?

I'd be down for it.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
Did anyone watch lasts night's first episode of the Sin City Slugfest?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Negative.