Poll

Who's winning???

Buddy
HOF
Kevin Moore

Author Topic: Sacul's simple roulette v4. CONGRATS KEVIN MOORE!!!!1!  (Read 51380 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Sacul's simple roulette v4. COMPARISONS NOW!!!!1!!
« Reply #1645 on: March 17, 2022, 11:25:30 AM »
Progressive meddle
one of these days

I'm so sorry for the radio silence folks, I've been quite ill and feeling a little blue lately, along with some money issues so I haven't done much outside work and trying to catch up with college tbh. My adhd hasn't been particularly helpful either. I have almost half of writeups done, and I'll try to have the rest done soon so results will be out sometime during the weekend.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1646 on: March 17, 2022, 11:34:35 AM »
Feel better Sacul, take your time
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1647 on: March 17, 2022, 11:36:12 AM »
All good bro... Take care of yourself.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1648 on: March 17, 2022, 02:56:29 PM »
You can skip my writeup if it helps. I know where I stand. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1649 on: March 19, 2022, 09:58:36 AM »
I just realized we never got the fully-revealed impressions. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1650 on: March 21, 2022, 11:10:17 AM »
Saving it from page 2

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1651 on: March 21, 2022, 01:51:10 PM »
Thanks. I had a pretty busy weekend but I'm currently writing results now. Hopefully they'll be out later today.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1652 on: March 21, 2022, 01:51:59 PM »
Glad you're feeling better bud.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1653 on: March 21, 2022, 01:56:13 PM »
Not really tbh, but I do owe you some results. It's a good distraction at least.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1654 on: March 22, 2022, 08:10:14 AM »
Not really tbh, but I do owe you some results. It's a good distraction at least.
Hope you feel better. Maybe consider skipping the EP round and declare me the winner  :biggrin:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1655 on: March 22, 2022, 09:33:58 AM »
Hope you feel better. Maybe consider skipping the EP round and declare me the winner  :biggrin:

Normally I'd put his health first, but my EP is really good, and I think a unique submission. Really want to see a reaction to it.

Also I want to win.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1656 on: March 22, 2022, 08:02:04 PM »
I care so much about Sacul, that I will refrain from sending him an EP.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1657 on: March 22, 2022, 08:44:29 PM »

I can see how the prospect of not having to listen to the crap you send would make anyone feel better.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1658 on: March 22, 2022, 08:49:15 PM »

I can see how the prospect of not having to listen to the crap you send would make anyone feel better.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
RESULTS OMG FINALLY!!!!
« Reply #1659 on: March 24, 2022, 01:59:08 PM »
Alright, I'm finally feeling a little better and managed to finish results for ya. All of these songs were a little hard to get through as I'm not used to long compositions these days, but some were very enjoyable indeed.

wolfking
Wintersun Awaken From the Dark Slumber.

First impression: This song reminds me of a sauna

I'm not familiar with the band's music, but I followed their kickstarter drama a few years ago, hence the sauna reference. Anyway, to the song itself, it's... meh. It's got some very cheesy synths, plenty of bland drumming, fake orchestral sounds, and alright harsh vocals. It feels like power metal turned into melodeath, and it lasts for 14 mins, none of which appeal to me, oops :lol. I know you were expecting me to suffer a bit from this, and you're correct.

2.5 + 1 = 3.5

Vmadera00
The Pineapple Thief White Mist

First impression: This song is not very memorable on a first listen

Even after a few listens I find it kind of hard to grasp this song and remember about it, so I'm trying my best to describe it while listening to it. On the one hand is quite well-written and so much thought was put into it. On the other hand, I don't find the melodies that memorable tbh. Maybe it's just their style, but I've never delved into their music besides this so I can't tell. At least it's quite pleasing and easy to listen to.

3 + 1 = 4

kingshmegland
Von Hertzen Brothers War is Over

First impression: This song is hopeful

Well, considering the current world situation, I thought this first impression would be more obvious :P. Anyway, the song is fine - I like the slow and moody beginning, but I'm not that big on the rest, as it feels like things going into more typical prog rock territory. It's a style I have no interest in these days, and despite this being a well-written piece, it's not something I feel myself returning to.

3 + 1 = 4

Stadler
Grateful Dead Terrapin Station Medley

First impression: This song is a bit longer than it should

I'm torn a bit, because on one hand this is a piece with much thought and care put into it, with many different sections and a layered instrumentation. On the other hand, I find it quite dated and boring tbh :lol. It's not bad at all, but man I just don't get it. I guess it's true that this band is either the best thing ever or plain boring. I'm not that dramatic, but I can understand the sentiment.

3 + 1 = 4

TAC
Transcend A Parallel Reflection I

First impression: This song gets good near the end

Although there are some interesting elements here, like the eastern instrumentation, and the use of strings, it's sadly mixed with fairly alright prog metal. I feel that only in the last 3 minutes is when we get something a bit different and intriguing. Although nothing groundbreaking, it's quite nicer than what came before tbh. It doesn't last too long, but it's cool anyway.

3 + 1 = 4

Elite
Thy Catafalque Vadak (Az átváltozás rítusai)

First impression: This song has an interesting sound

It starts off as a pretty predictable black metal affair for the most part, with some interesting riffs here and there reminding me of thrash metal, but nothing special. Then, after 3 mins of brvtality, we get some... synths? Ok, they sound cool. Then some strings. And percussion. And a sax? And vocals in some language I can't understand?? Damn, why didn't they start the song here, this is very nice and atmospheric :lol. Then the black metal elements start appearing slowly again, but they somewhat fit and make for a very unique sound that I dig. At least for a while, because they then return to more of the same as in the beginning. Which is nice, but man, for a moment this song was really coming into its own. Oh well.

3.5 + 1 = 4.5

TheSoylentMan
NOFX The Decline

First impression: This song is extremely long for its genre

An 18 minute punk song? Damn. I mean, I personally prefer more hardcore stuff like Refused or the proto-punk of The Stooges, than other variants of punk. But I'll admit this is quite an interesting song, with multiple sections and a very cool climatic ending. My biggest gripe is that, well, it's a bit too long and in a style of music that has never attracted me. But it's so well-executed that I just have to give it a decent score.

3.5 + 1 = 4.5

HOF
Big Big Train The Shipping Forecast

First impression: This song is proggy but not boring

This song reminds me a bit of No-Man on the vocals, and a bit of Gazpacho on the instrumentation, but proggier - it's got the acoustic guitars, the flute, the mellotron, and a retro guitar tone that reminds me of the IQ song that was sent a few rounds ago. It's quite a pleasing and somewhat complex song, with plenty of layers. It's a lovely one, but I'm not sure why it's not resonating with me, maybe it's that it reminds me of a lot of other bands instead of something a bit more unique.

3.5 + 1 = 4.5

Evermind
Hypno5e Night on the Petrified Sea

First impression: This song doesn't feel long

Quite an interesting track, I can actually understand what most of the spoken vocals say! Interesting passage about finding heaven within, it's something I think about sometimes. I also love the guitars that play when she speaks, wished they had stayed like that throughout the song instead of going back to a more normal sound. I'm getting some Opeth vibes here, which is nice. I don't find the drumming interesting at all though, feels quite generic for the most part imo. I think it's a nice song, always flowing well and never feeling long. The section after the second spoken vocals is very cool. Overall it just kinda lacks something to truly make me connect with it, or maybe it's just their sound I don't find super interesting or unique outside some sections. Expected something way worse based on Cyril's past comments, but this is just fine.

3.5 + 1 = 4.5

lonestar
Shineback Rise Up Forgotten, Return Destroyed

First impression: This song has a modern style

This is kind of weird, on the one hand this has an interesting sound, a modern take on prog rock/metal that helps it stand out from the crowd. A bit. On the other hand, paradoxically, it feels like prog rock by the numbers for some reason. I feel that it's not enough, melodically, to really set them apart - maybe it's the structure that just feels quite predictable. Maybe I've just outgrown most prog by this point. It's a fine song, it never gets boring or annoying, but I'm afraid that, back in 2013, both Haken and David Maxim Micic, to name a few, were doing way more interesting things within the genre.

3.5 + 1 = 4.5

Buddyhunter1
Cult of Luna Cygnus

First impression: This song has an interesting duality

I quite enjoy that this song doesn't have only one vocalist, as Julie's vocals add quite an interesting flavor to the mix. This song is quite intense and certainly has that epic closing track feel to it, which fits perfect with this being the last regular round. I also like how it doesn't feel that long, and the performances are on point, the drumming being excellent in particular. The calmer section in the middle really helps accentuate the rest of the song, although it might be a tad uneventful for me. My biggest complain though is the mastering here - it's very compressed and I can barely feel the intensity of the guitars and drums. Other than those things, it's a great song - guess I'll finally check out this album, as I enjoyed some of Julie's solo music in the past.

4 + 1 = 5

Cyril
Left at London Pills & Good Advice

First impression: This song is quite comfy

This song is quite interesting, as it feels like the combination of many different genres and styles into a big yet somewhat cohesive whole. RYM lists quite a few genres, half of them with the words "indie" or "pop", and it feels appropriate. So, it's hard to describe this tune, as it starts with some pretty conventional acoustic guitars, but then goes into many different directions, mostly involving some cool electronic percussion. I'm not that big on some of the occasional processed hyperpop vocals, but they're a small part of the piece so I don't mind. In general I really like the soundscape they create, with some inventive synth sounds, and always bringing new ideas without them feeling out of place. Overall it's a very nice piece, that sometimes feels like many different songs stitched together, but they kinda work, so I don't mind that much.

4 + 1 = 5

Puppies_On_Acid
Yndi Halda Illuminate My Heart, My Darling!

First impression: This song reminds me of one of my favourite albums

I get strong GYBE! vibes from this song, mostly from F#A#Infinity, which might as well be my very favourite record ever, but also from Lift your skinny fists like antennas to heaven. There's a pretty interesting and strong buildup on the first half of the song. It's a lovely and pretty nice one, in particular I love the sad strings throughout it and the second buildup. Post-rock is a tough genre for me to enjoy these days, since most folks seems to be just emulating what Explosions in the Sky do, instead of the amazing and inventive first GYBE! albums, and late Talk Talk records. I feel that, although this is nowhere near as innovative as such albums, it's still quite well written and executed.

4 + 1 = 5

Tomislav95
The Ocean Jurassic | Cretaceous

First impression: This song has some unexpected elements

This song starts off as a pretty cool but standard post-metal song, until some freaking horns and a piano appear. I didn't expect them to work nearly as well as they did here, but they do. I love the chorus, it's pretty intense and quite :metal. The songwriting is quite varied and never gets repetitive despite the length. I kinda wished the horns and the piano were a bit more integrated into the song but I'll take what I can here. Also the vocals during the calmer sections are a tad bland imo. My previous experience with The Ocean had been some songs off Pelagial I think, and while they were good, they didn't grab me like this does. Pretty solid track.

4 + 1 = 5

ReaperKK
A Winged Victory For The Sullen Atomos I

First impression: This song is subtle

Ambient is quite hard to do right I've realized, as someone who is currently exploring how to do that. It's also deeply personal - what might move someone might leaver others cold. I'm glad this song is the former one. I love how it slowly adds elements while remaining quite elegant and subtle, and never getting boring at all. It's a slow progression but one that works really well. I also enjoy how it kind of stops at the middle and introduces a lovely piano - this is the kind of music I've tried to make on my own, and it's damn hard.

4 + 1 = 5

Scores
Buddyhunter1 35
lonestar 33.5
Vmadera00 32.5
HOF 32.5
Cyril 32.5
Evermind 32
Puppies_On_Acid 32
TheSoylentMan 31.5
Tomislav95 31.5
kingshmegland 31
ReaperKK 31
wolfking 30.5
Stadler 30.5
Elite 30.5
TAC 29.5

Alright, seems that there won't be a need for a deathmatch as we have exactly 5 players for the EP round. So, to everyone but those in the first 5 places, thanks for playing! For the rest, send your EPs! I'll give you some time to prepare them in case you haven't, let's say, until Monday.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Sacul's simple roulette v4. RESULTS FINALLY!!!!1!!
« Reply #1660 on: March 24, 2022, 02:07:03 PM »
Thanks for letting me play Sacul!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1661 on: March 24, 2022, 02:07:09 PM »
Wow!  :lol

Thanks for having me at least.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1662 on: March 24, 2022, 02:12:58 PM »
Hey, I survived the cutoff so that’s cool!

I guess it makes sense that The Shipping Forecast reminded you of IQ as they were on their label back when that originally came out. I’m not all that familiar with IQ, but I do see the similarities. I think the opening and closing sections are really interesting in terms of a prog song, as they sound more like Britt pop or something inspired by early Radiohead to me, and I think you would have had a great maybe 5 minute pop song if you dropped the whole middle section. But the middle section has its merits, and when the song finally resolves back to that huge chorus it’s just glorious. This is one of my favorite songs from BBT despite it being from their least heralded lineup. That whole album is really good.

I’ve put together like six iterations of my EP. Will try to get something to you soon. Does it have to have a particular story/theme, or can it just be a bunch of songs that I think sound good and flow together?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1663 on: March 24, 2022, 02:16:47 PM »
aww, i honestly was really looking forward to sending my tiebreaker because i went absolutely nuclear with the song i picked out & it doesn't fit on my EP at all either  :lol

cyril comeback era confirmed tho

EP is ready so let me slap together a writeup and send it

also i swear this is like the third round you've given me a v and then given me a 4.0 anyways  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1664 on: March 24, 2022, 02:18:22 PM »
I’ve put together like six iterations of my EP. Will try to get something to you soon. Does it have to have a particular story/theme, or can it just be a bunch of songs that I think sound good and flow together?
Both are good options tbh

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1665 on: March 24, 2022, 02:21:14 PM »
Cool, I'll have an EP ready by the weekend.

I can see how the song I sent wouldn't be memorable. I honestly struggle finding a 10+ minute piece that I thought you would like, so went with something a bit soft/calmed.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1666 on: March 24, 2022, 02:55:39 PM »
Sacul, next time I sign up for one of your roulettes, just tell me you have enough players already. :lol

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1667 on: March 24, 2022, 02:59:11 PM »
WOOO finally! Glad you enjoyed my submission and also the The Ocean song, they both kick ass. :metal

Also Cyril right now:

I've got my EP sent already. I wasn't expecting to keep this much of a lead going into the final round, so I'm quite hopeful, but we'll see. My EP is a bit risky. And you and I could just be fated to always do really well in each others roulettes but never actually win. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1668 on: March 24, 2022, 03:32:02 PM »
considered editing my EP but then remembered i've had it done for weeks and editing it would take effort so i've sent

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1669 on: March 24, 2022, 05:18:25 PM »
That Winged Victory is really nice
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1670 on: March 24, 2022, 06:44:36 PM »
Ok... So here we go... I think my EP is unique enough that if it hits right, it could make up that 1.5pt difference... Or if buddy's sucks enough....

Anyway, you got mine already, let's do this thing!!

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1671 on: March 24, 2022, 06:57:25 PM »
Aww, and I was kind of looking forward to competing in the EP round, missed it by half a point  :yeahright
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1672 on: March 24, 2022, 08:21:16 PM »
don't worry puppies, i would've won the tiebreaker anyways  :corn
i'm actually really upset that i can't really use the song in my EP anywhere, it's just too far off-base from the rest of what i've put together and i'd have to take out two songs to fit it in anyways, but i'll prob just send it post-roulette idk. i would totally have sent it in the main roulette if it hadn't come out like a month ago  :rollin

Offline HOF

« Reply #1673 on: March 24, 2022, 11:17:38 PM »
Alright, EP sent. Now to bed.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1674 on: March 25, 2022, 03:22:28 AM »
Aww, and I was kind of looking forward to competing in the EP round, missed it by half a point  :yeahright

I really didn't want to make an EP so I'm glad I missed it by half a point.

Thank you Lucas for running this!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1675 on: March 25, 2022, 05:06:33 AM »
I'm glad you liked Winged Victory, it is tough as hell to make ambient music. I've tried before.

Thanks for having me in your roulette! I had a lot of fun.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1676 on: March 25, 2022, 06:08:16 AM »
Sacul, question. I noticed you added a banned list to the first post. If an artist I sent during the roulette is not on that list, is it still fair game to include in the EP?

Banned during the roulette:
  • Gacharic Spin
  • Public Service Broadcasting
  • The Alan Parsons Project
  • The Who
  • Ben Folds Five
  • Carpenter Brut
  • Mago de Oz
  • Gerry Rafferty
  • Beth Hart
  • The Tea Party
  • Gerry Rafferty
  • Mägo de Oz
  • The Wildhearts
  • Wreche
  • Elbow
  • Michael Kelsey
  • Brad Mehldau
  • The Clientele

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: RESULTS OMG FINALLY!!!!
« Reply #1677 on: March 25, 2022, 07:23:28 AM »

Alright, seems that there won't be a need for a deathmatch as we have exactly 5 players for the EP round. So, to everyone but those in the first 5 places, thanks for playing! For the rest, send your EPs! I'll give you some time to prepare them in case you haven't, let's say, until Monday.

So when is my EP due?  :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: RESULTS OMG FINALLY!!!!
« Reply #1678 on: March 25, 2022, 09:02:22 AM »
Evermind

Quite an interesting track, I can actually understand what most of the spoken vocals say! Interesting passage about finding heaven within, it's something I think about sometimes

Dude, I have no idea what most of the spoken vocals say in this song :lol I remember something about Margarita and Thomas and something something encontrar.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1679 on: March 25, 2022, 09:10:42 AM »
also i swear this is like the third round you've given me a v and then given me a 4.0 anyways  :lol
And yeah, but your songs did grow on me a bit on those occasions so it'd have been unfair to not have bumped them to the score they deserved :P

i'm actually really upset that i can't really use the song in my EP anywhere, it's just too far off-base from the rest of what i've put together and i'd have to take out two songs to fit it in anyways, but i'll prob just send it post-roulette idk. i would totally have sent it in the main roulette if it hadn't come out like a month ago  :rollin
Feel free to send me that song as a post-roulette thing!

Sacul, question. I noticed you added a banned list to the first post. If an artist I sent during the roulette is not on that list, is it still fair game to include in the EP?
Yes, but I haven't updated that list yet, give me a minute. But basically every artist whose song scored a 4 (without bonus point) or more is banned. Anything else is fair game.

Evermind

Quite an interesting track, I can actually understand what most of the spoken vocals say! Interesting passage about finding heaven within, it's something I think about sometimes

Dude, I have no idea what most of the spoken vocals say in this song :lol I remember something about Margarita and Thomas and something something encontrar.

:lol it's quite a nice and poetic passage, here's a translation I did with deepl - first two sections are in spanish and the last one is in french for some reasion:

"At the top of the mountain range, I stopped to rest, but I felt that I was leaving without moving from my place. My eyes lost me in that immensity, and I forgot myself, so much looking and looking. Suddenly, the voice of solitude asked me if I was looking for the sky, and I answered: "Maybe. Heaven is within one, and there is hell too. The soul writes its books, but no one reads them. Sometimes one walks, between the shadow and the light, in the house of the smile, and in the heart of the cross. Look for heaven in yourself, for there you will find it..."

"Seek heaven in yourself, for there you will find it, but it is not easy to find it, for there is much to fight for. On lonely roads, I began to walk. On the outside I was not looking for anything, but inside, perhaps...".

"Margarita and Thomas are getting married. But before the wedding, Thomas dies. He does not cease from then on to wander and to visit Margarita. Margarita consults the priest, who advises her to free herself and Thomas from his promise by summoning him to the church where she will give him back his gift: a flower and a white handkerchief. What she does. They meet. 'Devuelvo tu promesa.' ('I return your promise') He then ceased to be a wandering soul, and he went underground with a sigh."