Poll

Who's winning???

Buddy
HOF
Kevin Moore

Author Topic: Sacul's simple roulette v4. CONGRATS KEVIN MOORE!!!!1!  (Read 51291 times)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Sacul's simple roulette v4. RESULTS :SOON:!!!!1!!
« Reply #1435 on: March 04, 2022, 09:26:45 AM »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1436 on: March 04, 2022, 10:45:43 AM »
Haha, that's a new one on me.  I like that.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1437 on: March 04, 2022, 04:48:37 PM »
corning it up

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1438 on: March 04, 2022, 05:54:27 PM »
my EP is down to 44 minutes but idk what i have left to cut aaahh

there's a bit at the end of the closer i'm gonna cut out for sure and there's transition stuff but i'm still gonna have to axe probably two more of the songs on my playlist and that's gonna suck

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1439 on: March 04, 2022, 05:57:43 PM »
Mine's only 26 minutes :P
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1440 on: March 04, 2022, 08:48:35 PM »
Mine solidified at around 27

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1441 on: March 04, 2022, 10:47:11 PM »
Mine is currently at 0 minutes  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
RESULTS!!!!!
« Reply #1442 on: March 05, 2022, 12:56:51 PM »
Can I send an EP to the final round even if I don't make it? I mean, there's only 1 point difference between me and fifth place :neverusethis:
Sure, but I'll give it a listen once that round is over :P

Alright, I went to a meeting yesterday and hoped to get back home early and finish results - ended up getting back at 4AM, oops :lol . Anyway, here's results:

kingshmegland
Oak Claire de Lune

First impression: This song is nothing like the original

I was expecting a modern take on the classic song, but got something completely different. A kind of dark, moody, mysterious... generic prog rock song :lol . I like the darker passages here and the instrumental sections, even if they remind me of a lesser Opeth, but the rest of the track is just pretty ok tbh. And at 7 minutes, it's sort of a long track. Nothing bad here, but nothing outstanding either.

3/5

ReaperKK
Ola Englund Balegmah

First impression: This song needs to relax a little

I think this song might be a bit too intense at time for what it's trying to do, which is... a pretty average prog metal track. It reminds me a lot of DT's heavier moments, even with the excessive guitar solos, but without Portnoy's amazing drumming. It's all instrumental, alright, but I don't find any of the ideas portrayed here as interesting at all. It just kind of goes through a few boring riffs and solos and then it just ends. It's not a bad song, it's just not memorable for me.

3/5

TAC
Loch Vostok Expiry Date On The Soul Of Man

First impression: This song needs more personality

Ain't gonna lie, I'm not a big fan of generic prog metal. This one might be a bit more atmospheric than your typical prog song and I appreciate it, but it's just... bland. The melodies are kind of forgettable, and the performances are just fine. Nothing really stands out for me here tbh

3/5

wolfking
Iron Maiden Hell on Earth

First impression: This song is scarily relevant

I've never been a big fan of them tbh, it's just that most heavy metal ain't my cup of tea - jingle.boy tried in a past roulette with Rime of the Ancient Mariner and it did just ok. And this song ain't that much different for me. It's quite well put together (and relevant), I'll give you that, and it's never a boring track at all, despite being quite long - just not a style that resonates with me.

3.5/5

Elite
Weather Report Birdland

First impression: This song flows nicely

It does certainly feel like music for the weather report for some reason :lol . It's a fun song, with a smooth flow to it and some catchy melodies. There's quite a nice variety of textures that makes it constantly interesting. I like it but it's not making me go woah, maybe because it's just... too chill? I like chill in general, and this one does it quite fine, so maybe it's just a matter of not resonating emotionally with me as much as I'd like to.

3.5/5

Stadler
Scorpions We'll Burn the Sky

First impression: This song doesn't blow

Another bold choice on this round, but this time to try to submit a band that didn't do well before. Well, it kinda works I guess? Surely it's a more interesting track than Yellow Raven, but not by much I'm afraid. Maybe it's too 70s sounding for my taste, as I'm not crazy for that era of music but I don't hate it either. The songwriting is quite competent here, and the climax of the song is nice, but it feels quite like a typical hard rock way of ending a song.

3.5/5

lonestar
Voices from the Fuselage Epicinium

First impression: This song needs more electronics

On paper this sounds like something I should dig more, as it's mostly electronic and with some piano. But I feel that it just... doesn't go anywhere. The melodies are kinda in between hinting at a big buildup or climax, and being just chill and relaxed. Like, the vocals are too intense for how unassuming the instrumentation really is. Feels like a transition track and maybe I'd like it more on its original context, but it's not that strong on its own.

3.5/5

HOF
Prefab Sprout Goodby Lucille #1

First impression: This song certainly feels from that era

RYM describes this album as Sophisti-Pop and Pop Rock, and that makes sense. I've never been big on such genres, but I'll admit this song is quite well-written, even if I'm not a fan of the over-the-top sounds here. It certainly feels like an 80s song, and I've had very mixed feelings about that era myself. This one is pretty nice, but doesn't fully connect with me.

3.5/5

Vmadera00
Bunbury Si

First impression: This song has a familiar sound

I'm reminded of other spanish and latinx bands I hear on the radio sometimes, but I mean it in a good way. This is a pretty fun piano-driven song, quite catchy and layered - I like the use of strings and brass here and there. It feels both familiar and fresh to me, and I quite enjoyed it.

4/5

Tomislav95
Queens of the Stone Age No one knows

First impression: This song reminds me of the 2000s

For some reason I've never listened to this band despite being aware of them for so many years, this album in particular. And it turns out it's quite a banger - fun, catchy, dirty guitars, and lots of personality. I've had the chorus stuck on my head for a few days, and for a good reason. I kinda wished the songwriting was a bit more varied in terms of structure, but I'll take it for what it is. Also the ending is quite fun :lol

4/5

Evermind
Anneke van Giersbergen Hurricane

First impression: This song is a little surprising

I had no clue Anneke was releasing her own music, nor had an idea of what it'd sound like. Well, color me impressed, this is great. I love the mostly acoustic instrumentation along with her vocal harmonies. It starts pretty subtle and quiet, but gets more interesting as it goes on, particularly on the horns. Simple but lovely track.

4/5

Cyril
Magdalena Bay Chaeri

First impression: This song has a great production

This one took quite some time to grow on me I'll admit. At first I wasn't so sure about it - I wouldn't say it was generic, but it didn't strike me as super original either. But the more I listen to it, the more layers and details I find, and the way it progresses is very interesting. It just gets better and better as it goes on, sometimes exploding in quite an intense way. Also it's catchy as hell.

4/5

TheSoylentMan
Himuro Yoshiteru Start It

First impression: This song is pretty varied

I don't know what genre this even is outside of just electronic, but I like it. I like the first half, feels quite cinematic, and almost like videogame music. Then the other half has some uuhhh interesting vocals, almost rapping? Dunno, they kind of work so am not complaining. I think it may be a tad too long overall, like I'd have cut 1 minute of runtime, but that's really the only complaint I have tbh.

4/5

Puppies_On_Acid
M83 Oblivion

First impression: This song is kinda cheating

Quite audacious to use my love for Susanne's music here :P . I've never been a big fan of M83 so I was a little cautious about this one, but seems my fears were unfounded. This is a great song, with a wonderful atmosphere, and a great mix of electronic and orchestral elements. Great climax as well. I was only confused a little by the last section, because I thought the song had already ended, but I don't mind this coda, it's quite nice. From your worst submission to your best one, quite a nice turn of events.

4.5/5

Buddyhunter1
Dan Terminus The Wrath Of Code

First impression: This song is very energetic

Well damn, second time you send me quite a banger of a synthwave song. And yes this is kinda cheating a little but I'll allow it because it's a different artist. It's got a lot of punch to it, and the Perturbator sounds are quite notable and great here. It's a deeply layered yet cohesive sound here, and I loooove that snare sound, I want it for myself :lol . Awesome track, wished I knew how to write music like this. Not exactly synthwave, but with this sort of energy and production quality.

4.5/5

Scores
Buddyhunter1 30
lonestar 29
Vmadera00 28.5
HOF 28
Evermind 27.5
Cyril 27.5
kingshmegland 27
wolfking 27
TheSoylentMan 27
Puppies_On_Acid 27
Stadler 26.5
Tomislav95 26.5
ReaperKK 26
Elite 26
TAC 25.5

Alright, time for the last round before the EP one! This time the optional theme is long songs: any track from any genre that's at least 10 mins long, and no more than 25. I'll put a hard limit on 5 seconds above or below that, and not a second more or less. If I can suggest something based on the previous rounds, please don't send me prog epics unless you're very sure about them :P :corn

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Sacul's simple roulette v4. RESULTS NOW!!!!1!!
« Reply #1443 on: March 05, 2022, 01:18:42 PM »
daaaaaacul pleeeeease you're kiiiiiilliiiiiing meeeeee

god the top three have pretty secure spots in the top 5 but i feel like it's still anyone's game so i hope i don't tank this round  :corn (2/5)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1444 on: March 05, 2022, 01:38:50 PM »
Man am I glad I got into synthwave this past year. :rollin
(which is partly thanks to you honestly for sending Perturbator in my last roulette) :)

I loooove that snare sound, I want it for myself :lol .

I'm assuming it's the same one that Carpenter Brut and like 90% of synthwave artists use which is apparently a hyper-compressed 707.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Online HOF

« Reply #1445 on: March 05, 2022, 01:48:28 PM »
Just hanging on! I’m not sure what 10+ minute songs I know that aren’t prog, so I’ll just have to take my chances!

It’s interesting that that Prefab Sprout song came across as excessively 80s to you. I think of it as pretty timeless, but there are aspects of 80s production there for sure. That whole album is really well produced IMO, and the best thing they did. 

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1446 on: March 05, 2022, 01:56:33 PM »
Sent a long and girthy song

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1447 on: March 05, 2022, 02:04:09 PM »
Damn.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1448 on: March 05, 2022, 02:16:41 PM »
i sent a non-prog song barely over 10 minutes long, which makes it exceptionally long for its genre

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1449 on: March 05, 2022, 02:46:41 PM »
i sent a non-prog song barely over 10 minutes long, which makes it exceptionally long for its genre

did you send Taylor Swift?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1450 on: March 05, 2022, 02:53:11 PM »
Lol, how the heck I'm in the top 5 tied with Cyril :lol

I sent a non-prog song, roughly 11 minutes long, and I think there are two minutes of just the narrator talking with chill acoustic track behind it. I would've liked to save it for my concept EP but if I need to keep my Place in Top 5.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1451 on: March 05, 2022, 03:02:50 PM »

Does T Swizzle have a 10+ minute song?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1452 on: March 05, 2022, 03:42:27 PM »

Yes. One, barely over 10 minutes.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1453 on: March 05, 2022, 04:01:31 PM »

Yes. One, barely over 10 minutes.
briefly considered this one tbh but only briefly, didn't even make my shortlist playlist in the end

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1454 on: March 05, 2022, 04:05:44 PM »
Bugger.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1455 on: March 05, 2022, 04:06:23 PM »
Bugger.

That song is going to kill you one way or another.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1456 on: March 05, 2022, 04:08:31 PM »
Bugger.

That song is going to kill you one way or another.

Indeed it did.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online HOF

« Reply #1457 on: March 05, 2022, 04:46:47 PM »
Sent!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1458 on: March 06, 2022, 01:09:59 PM »
think i have my final EP ready now, 34:17 with my transitions in place. there's one thing i kinda want to see if i can add but if i can't it's not a big deal  :corn

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1459 on: March 06, 2022, 01:55:46 PM »
I don't know what to send for the long round. The piece I have in mind it's either getting me a 5 or a zero, there's no in between for it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1460 on: March 06, 2022, 01:56:31 PM »
I sent the EP I won't need for the long round. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
SEND NOW!!1!
« Reply #1461 on: March 07, 2022, 05:57:44 AM »
I don't know what to send for the long round. The piece I have in mind it's either getting me a 5 or a zero, there's no in between for it.
You can send something outside the theme though :P

Alright, I've got half the submissions now, I'd like to have the rest by tonight, so we can have hangmanen very soon :corn

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sacul's simple roulette v4. SEND FOR ROUND 8, SLACKERS!!!!!1!
« Reply #1462 on: March 07, 2022, 06:03:35 AM »
I'll have mine sent today, sorry!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1463 on: March 07, 2022, 06:49:53 AM »
I'll get you the song tonight!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1464 on: March 07, 2022, 07:24:27 AM »
Sent

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1465 on: March 07, 2022, 05:29:16 PM »
give me the E for i can't bEliEvE you slackErs

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1466 on: March 07, 2022, 05:40:04 PM »
Would love to join in, not exactly sure what I’m doing though. Any help would be very appreciated!
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1467 on: March 07, 2022, 05:47:13 PM »
bit too late to join an ongoing roulette unfortunately

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1468 on: March 07, 2022, 05:51:01 PM »
Would love to join in, not exactly sure what I’m doing though. Any help would be very appreciated!

This ain't the roulette to join. :lol

Besides it's the last round anyway.

Wait until someone starts a new one.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1469 on: March 07, 2022, 05:54:31 PM »

This ain't the roulette to join. :lol

Besides it's the last round anyway.

Wait until someone starts a new one.

You should start another one, I have plenty of more Mastodon song I want to send  :biggrin: