Poll

Who's winning???

Buddy
HOF
Kevin Moore

Author Topic: Sacul's simple roulette v4. CONGRATS KEVIN MOORE!!!!1!  (Read 51293 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Sacul's simple roulette v4. COMPARISONS NOW!!!!1!!
« Reply #1015 on: February 11, 2022, 06:42:02 PM »
Prog song.  Where do I start?  :lol
dream theatre are pretty good

:lol

Time to look through my quirky collection. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1016 on: February 11, 2022, 07:11:14 PM »
Prog song.  Where do I start?  :lol
dream theatre are pretty good
I prefer Nightmare Cinema
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1017 on: February 11, 2022, 07:31:49 PM »
Sent for next round.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1018 on: February 12, 2022, 08:27:04 AM »
 :corn

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1019 on: February 12, 2022, 12:15:19 PM »
Sent for this round!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1020 on: February 12, 2022, 06:03:13 PM »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1021 on: February 12, 2022, 06:06:56 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
Re: Sacul's simple roulette v4. RESULTS :SOON:!!!!1!!
« Reply #1022 on: February 13, 2022, 10:42:16 AM »
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
RESULTS!!!!!
« Reply #1023 on: February 13, 2022, 02:02:03 PM »
Sorry fellas, yesterday I got hyperfocused on redesigning my blog's photography portfolio and when I had finished I was too tired to write results, oops :facepalm: . Anyway, here they are - quite an underwhelming round at first, but plenty of these ended up growing on me.

Tomislav95
3 All that remains

First impression: This song is kinda generic

Yeah this one isn't quite my cup of tea I'm afraid - it's just an alright combination of prog and alt rock. The melodies are kinda bland, the guitar tone is pretty generic, and the vocals are weak. Not a bad song by any means, just one I find pretty underwhelming on every aspect.

2.5/5

TAC
Raphael And The Thorns As The Wheel Turns

First impression: This song isn't resonating with me

And seems it isn't with you either :lol. I wouldn't say it's an awful track though, it's just a bit underwhelming overall, despite having some interesting elements, like the use of strings and some cool vocal harmonies. It's actually on those small moments when I think it gets interesting, but the chorus is quite meh tbh. So it's just an alright song to me.

3/5

Buddyhunter1
Sabrepulse First Crush

First impression: This song has the electronics

Ah yes, some nice and pretty chiptune - quite welcomed after such a harsh round :lol. It's quite a nice and fun little song, I dig the retro sounds used here a lot paired with the electronic drums. What I'm not that big a fan of is probably the overall melodies paired with the way the song is structured. Feels like background music to a youtube video on old games rather than a composition on its own if that makes sense. Wouldn't say it's cliched but for some reason it doesn't strike me as super original.

3.5/5

lonestar
Ostura The Surge

First impression: This song doesn't live up to the hype

I had this on my playlist right after TAC's, and that song ended with some similar piano notes to the ones this begins with. Cool transition there. Anyway, I was a little surpired to see you send me this, as I remember this album being quite hyped up around here a few years ago, so I was curious about it. I can kinda see why it's so loved from what this song has to offer, but I'm afraid it's not doing that much for me, as it reminds me of a lot of prog metal bands combined into one. I may have been quite more into it a few years ago though. But I really appreciate the unusual combination of sounds it has to offer, with the symphonic mixed with the metal mixed with the electronics, although these last ones are a little unoriginal tbh. So, while the ideas and execution here are mostly solid, I'm afraid I just have not much interest in this kind of music these days.

3.5/5

Vmadera00
Sufi's Life Love Vibration

First impression: This song is trippy

Psytrance and similar are one of those genres I dig a lot but only on a few albums as plenty of what's out there is kinda derivative and filled with silly pseudospirituality. So I was quite intrigued by this song at first, as it hits some marks of what I like on this genre: trippy atmosphere, nice vibes, and hypnotic songwriting. Kinda reminds me of Shpongle but without the world music influence. It's quite a nice song, but I was expecting a bit more variety in terms of songwriting - it stays mostly on the same structure throughout its duration with only some small breaks to say "Love Vibration" :P. It's pretty enjoyable anyway.

3.5/5

kingshmegland
Dopapod Numbers Need Humans

First impression: This song is funky

This is a bit of a weird one, as for some reason the slightly dissonant chords here have a it of a "robotic" feel, yet the song is quite funky - I think it fits the theme quite well. I'm afraid I don't have much to say, it's a fun little song for sure, but for some reason it's not quite doing it for me as I'd like to. Maybe it's a bit too "robotic" for my taste, but I like weird algorithmic music so who knows :lol.

3.5/5

wolfking
Owl Eyes Closure

First impression: This song has a nice atmosphere

Yeah it's quite an interesting atmosphere as you said, plenty of 80s vibes here. It's pretty catchy and lovely, but like the Gunship song on this round, I feel it might be a tad too sweet and retro-sounding for my taste. I've heard plenty of synthpop at this point to know that it's quite hard to pull off without sounding unoriginal, so I don't mind it that much here. It's still an enjoyable listen.

3.5/5

TheSoylentMan
Gunship When You Grow Up, Your Heart dies

First impression: This song is a tad too sweet

For some reason I've never checked a Gunship album despite being familiar with some of the DT favs, like Tech Noir and Dark All Day. And now I'm not quite sure I'd be into them based on this track. It's a nice electronic pop song but it's probably a bit too on the sweeter side of things for my taste, and the lyrics are a little cheesy. It's very well produced and arranged, just not exactly my cup of tea.

3.5/5

Stadler
Frankie Valli My Eyes Adored You

First impression: This song is a little corny

Quite an oldie! Kinda reminds me of the music my dad listens to from time to time :P. Anyway, it's a nice love song, even if a little corny, but it's quite well written and executed. I wished it had more of a proper ending instead of a fade out.

3.5/5

Evermind
Green Carnation The Burden is Mine... Alone

First impression: This song is kinda emo

I'm just being silly about the emo thing, it's just that the song kinda reminded me stuff like Brand New's Jesus. So it's not a bad thing at all for me, I like depressing music. And this one is fine, it's mostly guitar and sad vocals, with the ocassional vocal harmony here and there. Works quite well, but it doesn't do much outside repeating a few chords over and over. Just a simple track.

3.5/5

Cyril
McKinley Dixon Chain Sooo Heavy

First impression: This song is jazzy

I'm a little surprised by you sending me this, as I hadn't expected you to be into this. This is a cool mix of hip hop with jazz, reminds me of what Kendrick did on some songs in To Pimp a Butterfly. It's a pretty interesting song for sure, and quite a creative one - I feel that hip hop these days is where a lot of innovation is going on, I should get more into that. Yet, this track isn't resonating with me as much as I'd like to. I think it's the main melodies that just aren't that memorable to me, and the way he says "Chain so heavy" is kinda flat, and he says that a lot :P. I'd be curious to hear more tracks in this vein though.

3.5/5

Puppies_On_Acid
Elbow Magnificent (She Says)

First impression: This song is quite nice

Yeah, I don't have much to say about this other than it's a pretty and lovely song. It's quite catchy, got a great use of strings paired with the simple guitars and the interesting vocals. I wasn't sure what to think about it at first but it's grown on me quite a bit tbh. Cool track.

4/5

ReaperKK
Michael Kelsey The Free Spirit

First impression: This song is intriguing

Dunno why you thought this would fit the generic first impression - sure at first it's a little like typical uuhhh indie folk music? But then it goes into a more interesting direction, with Michael really showing off his chops on the guitar, but never too much. It gets more and more intense as it goes on, and I'm surprised by the amount of variety this has to offer despite being just an instrumental guitar track (with some subtle strings here and there). Quite an intriguing piece, one that's grown on me quite a bit.

4/5

Elite
Brad Mehldau The Prophet is a Fool

First impression: This song has the right amount of sax

This reminds of a lot to The Comet is Coming, mostly with the sick sax playing here with that dirty, groovy bass. But this goes into a bit of a different direction, and I like it quite a bit. What I'm not a big fan of is the kinda surface-level political commentary here - although I agree with the message, it's just not the most clever of executions imo. At least it does take only a small part of the song.

4/5

HOF
The Clientele Monday’s Rain

First impression: This song is vaguely familiar

I remember listening to this album many years ago when I was starting to get into music more seriously, and expanding outside of prog. For some reason I never rated it on RYM, and I don't remember a single note from it so I allowed it, maybe now I'd be able to appreciate it more. And I kinda do! It's quite a lovely, chill, atmospheric track. Kinda reminds me of a both The Beatles on their melodies and Low with the slower pace and minimal instrumentation. It manages a good balance between memorable vocals and interesting, more instrumentabl sections. I'll admit I wasn't blown away by it at first, but it's slowly grown on me, and now I'm looking forward to revisiting this stuff.

4/5

Scores
Buddyhunter1 21
lonestar 20.5
Vmadera00 20
kingshmegland 19.5
HOF 19.5
wolfking 19
Puppies_On_Acid 19
TAC 18.5
TheSoylentMan 18.5
Stadler 18.5
Evermind 18.5
Cyril 18.5
ReaperKK 18.5
Elite 18.5
Tomislav95 18

Alright, send for round 6! Remember the optional theme is prog - anything from the 70s to modern times is fine. Just be extremely careful, as this is not a genre I'm fond of these days, but there are still plenty of big names that I have never checked out, like Marillion, Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Van der Graaf Generator, most of Yes' and IQ's discography, etc. And please don't send me Leprous or Rush - they're not banned, but I've given them plenty of chances in the past and they've never clicked with me :P

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sacul's simple roulette v4. RESULTS NOW!!!!1!!
« Reply #1024 on: February 13, 2022, 02:07:46 PM »
I'm glad you enjoyed Michael Kelsey! Round 6 sent!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1025 on: February 13, 2022, 02:26:02 PM »
two other songs i considered from the album were never will know, which is a lot more percussive in nature, and brown shoulders, which is a bit more traditionally structured, maybe check them out (or the album as a whole lol i am surprised at how much i dig it too)

also i probably should listen to TPAB at some point lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1026 on: February 13, 2022, 02:43:24 PM »
Vmadera00
Sufi's Life Love Vibration

First impression: This song is trippy

It's quite a nice song, but I was expecting a bit more variety in terms of songwriting - it stays mostly on the same structure throughout its duration with only some small breaks to say "Love Vibration" :P. It's pretty enjoyable anyway.

Yeah, as much as I like their music, that is one thing I was worried about with sending their stuff. There is an idea for a piece, and kind of stay there for a while (with a few exceptions).

Alright, Prog-round. I just checked what I sent just to remind myself since it's been a few weeks, and I think you might like it, so I'll stick with that :corn

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1027 on: February 13, 2022, 03:22:43 PM »
Sent.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1028 on: February 13, 2022, 03:31:19 PM »
Still hanging in there!

Sacul, they have full live shows on YouTube.   They are definitely looser live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online HOF

Re: RESULTS!!!!!
« Reply #1029 on: February 13, 2022, 04:24:58 PM »

HOF
The Clientele Monday’s Rain

First impression: This song is vaguely familiar

I remember listening to this album many years ago when I was starting to get into music more seriously, and expanding outside of prog. For some reason I never rated it on RYM, and I don't remember a single note from it so I allowed it, maybe now I'd be able to appreciate it more. And I kinda do! It's quite a lovely, chill, atmospheric track. Kinda reminds me of a both The Beatles on their melodies and Low with the slower pace and minimal instrumentation. It manages a good balance between memorable vocals and interesting, more instrumentabl sections. I'll admit I wasn't blown away by it at first, but it's slowly grown on me, and now I'm looking forward to revisiting this stuff.

4/5

Well that’s good! I will say I’m not surprised if that album didn’t click with you. It has some real high points, but also has some filler, and the whole thing is very lo-fi and understated. Sounds a bit like it’s coming through on AM radio. But that also gives it a dreamlike, somewhat ghostly quality. The Clientele are a band who got better with each release. Their sound kind of went away from that lo-fi thing and more towards lushly produced chamber pop. They’ve done lots of great stuff though, and are kind of hard to pin down on what they are. Definitely recommend revisiting that album, but also it’s worth exploring some of their later stuff as it is quite a bit different.

Now that I’m still hanging around the top 5 I’m gonna have to think a bit before sending.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1030 on: February 14, 2022, 12:33:14 AM »
Wow this was bad :facepalm:
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1031 on: February 14, 2022, 02:55:03 AM »
Wow this was bad :facepalm:
~Dacul listening to The Paper Chase in round 1

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1032 on: February 14, 2022, 08:23:37 AM »
And please don't send me Leprous or Rush - they're not banned, but I've given them plenty of chances in the past and they've never clicked with me :P

I actually planned to send Leprous :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1033 on: February 14, 2022, 08:45:23 AM »
And please don't send me Leprous or Rush - they're not banned, but I've given them plenty of chances in the past and they've never clicked with me :P

I actually planned to send Leprous :lol

I missed this...guess I have to rethink my round 7 submission lol

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1034 on: February 14, 2022, 08:47:27 AM »
I think sending Leprous in any roulette in 2022 is a bad idea unless it's a Revenge-style roulette where the banlist is basically nothing. :lol They're so prevalent here that anyone who's been around for a while already knows if they like them or not.

Will send soon
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1035 on: February 14, 2022, 09:19:26 AM »
Sent a non-Leprous band!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online HOF

« Reply #1036 on: February 14, 2022, 09:27:36 AM »
Sent a non-Leprous band!

I too sent a band without leprosy.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1037 on: February 14, 2022, 10:51:45 AM »
Sent a non-Leprous, non-Soen band
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1038 on: February 14, 2022, 10:54:01 AM »
i sent a band that does not exist in the DTF circle of prog circlejerking  :corn

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1039 on: February 14, 2022, 10:58:26 AM »
Elite
Brad Mehldau The Prophet is a Fool

First impression: This song has the right amount of sax

This reminds of a lot to The Comet is Coming, mostly with the sick sax playing here with that dirty, groovy bass. But this goes into a bit of a different direction, and I like it quite a bit. What I'm not a big fan of is the kinda surface-level political commentary here - although I agree with the message, it's just not the most clever of executions imo. At least it does take only a small part of the song.

4/5

Glad you enjoyed that. I get your comment about the message, I just think it's more of an artistic statement and enjoy the rest of the piece for what it is in combination with the message. Brad Mehldau is an amazing pianist, you don't get to hear much of that on this particular song, but check out his other stuff (the rest of this album is good) if you want jazz piano greatness.

So, about this prog round.. would something like this song work for this round?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1040 on: February 14, 2022, 11:01:39 AM »
i sent a band that does not exist in the DTF circle of prog circlejerking  :corn

Mine's not inside the splash zone but it's at least adjacent to it. :biggrin:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 03:01:58 PM by Buddyhunter1 »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1041 on: February 14, 2022, 11:03:53 AM »
mine isn't even tagged as prog on RYM but it definitely is regardless of what weird hipsters say

it's also really good (2.5/5)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1042 on: February 14, 2022, 02:52:58 PM »
Just missing on 3 entries :corn

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1043 on: February 14, 2022, 03:13:07 PM »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1044 on: February 14, 2022, 03:14:57 PM »
missing 32 entries??? :neverusethis:

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1045 on: February 14, 2022, 06:37:40 PM »
So no swingy jazz kind of stuff? :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1046 on: February 14, 2022, 07:05:39 PM »
So no swingy jazz kind of stuff? :biggrin:

Not a single swing nor jazz kind to be found

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1047 on: February 14, 2022, 08:01:45 PM »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1048 on: February 15, 2022, 12:30:43 AM »
Just missing on 3 entries :corn

Including me, but I asked you something specific above :corn
Squ

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1049 on: February 15, 2022, 05:22:31 AM »
Oops, you're right, forgot to answer it.

So, about this prog round.. would something like this song work for this round?
What song, the one you sent for round 5? In that case, no :P