Poll

Who's winning???

Buddy
HOF
Kevin Moore

Author Topic: Sacul's simple roulette v4. CONGRATS KEVIN MOORE!!!!1!  (Read 51288 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Sacul's simple roulette v4. COMPARISONS NOW!!!!1!!
« Reply #875 on: February 04, 2022, 07:01:30 PM »
it's true, you did bring this on yourself

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #876 on: February 05, 2022, 04:47:54 AM »

• Open round. Optional theme: extreme music

Dislikes
Power Metal, Black Metal, Death Metal, Grindcore, and most extreme forms of metal don't do it for me at all with a handful of exceptions.

Yeah, I don't think we can really be blamed for this one.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #877 on: February 05, 2022, 06:36:31 AM »
I should have sent something extreme that isn’t black metal then :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Tomislav95

« Reply #878 on: February 05, 2022, 09:49:51 AM »
Sacul likes extreme metal, just doesn't know it yet
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #879 on: February 05, 2022, 10:18:22 AM »
To be fair Sacul is the only person on here I can think of who can get down with extreme music but doesn't like black metal.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
RESULTS!!!!!
« Reply #880 on: February 05, 2022, 01:23:59 PM »
To be fair Sacul is the only person on here I can think of who can get down with extreme music but doesn't like black metal.
Nor death metal :P

Ok here they are! Thanks for being patient, folks.

TheSoylentMan
A7PHA Hand 2 Hand

First impression: This song is a little odd

Huh, pretty interesting and weird hip-hop stuff, I feel that genre is where most of innovation is at these days, I should delve into it. So, I quite like the beats here and the overall atmosphere is nice. But I'm not so sure about the vocals here, they've got a nice flow, yet it's the rasp sound that doesn't do it for me.

Stadler
Motörhead Orgasmatron

First impression: This song is monotonous

I'm afraid there's not much extreme about this - feels like regular heavy metal to me. So, no bonus point here. Anyway, I'll admit I was initially quite bored by it, as seen by my first impression. But it's grown on me. A bit. What I find odd is the vocals, they're too low on the mix and can barely understand what he says. His singing just feels uninspired and like he's kinda bored tbh :lol. The rest of the track is fine, if a litte repetitive for my taste, but then I love Dopesmoker so dunno if it makes sense to criticize it for that.

ReaperKK
Eckle Within The Palms Of A God

First impression: This song beep bops

A pretty atmospheric piece, it kinda reminds of of Jon Hopkins' Immunity, with the electronic percussion and the pianos. It's a nice little piece, I quite like the second half, then it reminds me of the work of Kashiwa Daisuke. The melodies are nice and lovely, but I'm not fully connecting with the overall sound here. I'm also afraid that it does not count for the bonus point, as there's nothing close to extreme here.

lonestar
Allegaeon Proponent for Sentience III - The Extermination

First impression: This song is ok

I quite like the spoken word section a the beginning, kinda wished it appeared more throughout the rest of the track. For some reason this one feels kinda of... generic for its genre? I barely know any tech death metal but most of the melodies and riffs here don't do it for me sadly. Also the guitar tone here is a very common one so overall I feel this doesn't stand out at all.

3 + 1 = 4

Vmadera00
Rivers of Nihil The Silent Life

First impression: This song hasn't got enough sax

Mmmnnn, I recall some friends being hyped about this a few years ago when it came out. But I'm not entirely sure why, maybe it's the very ocasional use of sax? Kinda wished it was better blended with the rest of the song, a more integral part of the songwriting instead of just something cool that appears on the middle for a while. The rest of the track goes from pretty standard distorted guitars to predictable drumming.

3 + 1 = 4

kingshmegland
Ne Obliviscaris Intra Venus

First impression: This song is not memorable

I've had some of these songs stuck on my head these last few days, for better or worse, but not this one. I like the concept of the band here, violin-driven metal, and I quite enjoyed Forget Not on one of my previous roulettes. But that whole album didn't do it for me because of the excesive use of blast beats - they end up feeling monotonous and dull with time instead of intense and cathartic. And something similar happens here, they're all over the place, and the drummer is constantly playing some pretty ordinary patterns at a high tempo while the other instruments aren't that hyped up. That level of dissonance is what's always prevented me from enjoying most of these extreme kinds of music tbh.

3 + 1 = 4

HOF
McStine & Minnemann Activate

First impression: This song is groovy

A nice change of pace from all the extreme metal of this round, and a welcomed one :lol. I'm afraid it's not even close to qualifying for the bonus theme, so I'll just judge it as usual. And I'll admit... I like it quite a bit! I'm a little surprised something this proggy ended up being up my alley, but I guess it's just the seeming simplicity and whole vibe of the tune just do it for me. Pretty enojoyable melodies, tasty playing, and never going overboard with it.

Tomislav95
Insomnium While We Sleep

First impression: This song is fine

I think what doesn't do it for me is what, while every part is fine (the riffs, melodies, the instrumentation), as a whole it ammounts to... a pretty alright melodic death metal song. Sure it's a bit atmospheric and the clean sections are nice, but I'm just unimpressed by the rest - I've heard it like that many times. Particularly the drumming, it's so average it almost bores me.

3 + 1 = 4

wolfking
The Faceless Deconsecrate

First impression: This song needs more sax

I like the intro with the hammond, before it becomes kind of uuuhhh dark circus music? Which is fine, but then it turns into a different song with the extreme musicianship. Then it comes back to it for a little while, and the keeps alternating between the cookie monster and these calmer sections, sometimes adding a lovely sax in the mix. I really wished this dichotomy didn't exist and both sides were merged together into one weird and intense sound, with some more of that sax. Because the intense sections here are quite unremarkable for the most part tbh.

3 + 1 = 4

Puppies_On_Acid
Mare Cognitum Noumenon

First impression: This song is too long

I quite like the beginning here, with the mysterious piano and acoustic guitars. Then the guitars and drums kick in, cool. And eventually shrieks appear, not bad. And then the song goes on and on... for 13 minutes with not much changing tbh except for a brief breakdown at 9 min mark. And while at any particular moment it's an entertainig track, it never ends up winning me over. I just don't feel it stands out from most other atmospheric black metal I've listened to on countless Plug.dj sessions.

3 + 1 = 4

Evermind
Xantrochroid Of Aching Empty Pain

First impression: This song feels empty

I'm not quite sure about this track - it's a bit long, and while the piano sections are nice, the rest is kinds boring to me, particularly after a whole round of extreme metal. Sure, the more orchestral elements are welcomed, but the melodies are kind bland to me, the drumming is alright, and the guitars are just fine. So I guess my point is that I'm just not connecting with much of what's here.

3 + 1 = 4

Elite
Oranssi Pazuzu Hypnotisoitu viharukous

First impression: This song is unimpressive

Ok the beginning felt quite promising, but then when the guitars and drums kick in, I feels that I'm in just another black metal song albeit a bit of a weird one. Sure, the odd synths are welcome, but I'm just... not into what most of this song is about. Yeah the sort of breakdown at the middle is cool I guess. I dunno, it's just not doing it for me overall, despite probably having more of a unique sound than most black metal out there.

3 + 1 = 4

TAC
Burial In The Sky An Orphaned City

First impression: This song is surprisingly melodic

Well this starts pretty heavy and a little chaotic but with some interesting riffs I'll admit. Then about the middle point it kind of slows down a bit and gets quite nice actually, with the sax and the calm guitars. Then the intensity comes back again. And I like it a bit for a moment. But what I feel puts this track down for me is the lack of development of the many ideas it presents - they're only shown once or twice and then the song just ends. Which is a shame, I kind wished it had been longer, would have been great.

3.5 + 1 = 4.5

Cyril
Wreche The Darkling Thrush

First impression: This song is spooky

This is the most interesting song of the round for sure - piano-driven black metal? With spooky synths? It's got my interest at the very least. So, the piano playing is quite intense and the drums follow as well. The singing is, well, appropiate I guess. I feel it might be a bit repetitive here and there, considering it takes 9 minutes, but there's a surprising amount of variety here tbh, mostly on the second half. And I quite like the ending, when it's only the piano and the synths. Anyway, I'm surprised by how much I ended up liking this, so guess I'll just check out the album this comes from.

4 + 1 = 5

Buddyhunter1
The Wildhearts Anthem

First impression: This song is unexpected

I kinda expected this band to be dad rock but then you told me they did whatever they wanted here. And it shows! Pretty dirty, noisy sound overall, with lots of texture to it. Maybe a tad too dirty in terms of production, and a little repetitive on the structure of it. But it's quite a fun song, pretty catchy, and very unique sounding. Actually kinda wished it were longer but I'll take it for what it is.

4 + 1 = 5

Scores
Buddyhunter1 17.5
lonestar 17
Vmadera00 16.5
kingshmegland 16
HOF 15.5
Tomislav95 15.5
wolfking 15.5
TAC 15.5
TheSoylentMan 15
Stadler 15
Puppies_On_Acid 15
Evermind 15
Cyril 15
ReaperKK 14.5
Elite 14.5

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Sacul's simple roulette v4. RESULTS NOW!!!!1!!
« Reply #881 on: February 05, 2022, 01:28:20 PM »
WE DID IT, CYRIL

BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Online HOF

Re: RESULTS!!!!!
« Reply #882 on: February 05, 2022, 01:30:53 PM »
HOF
McStine & Minnemann Activate

First impression: This song is groovy

A nice change of pace from all the extreme metal of this round, and a welcomed one :lol. I'm afraid it's not even close to qualifying for the bonus theme, so I'll just judge it as usual. And I'll admit... I like it quite a bit! I'm a little surprised something this proggy ended up being up my alley, but I guess it's just the seeming simplicity and whole vibe of the tune just do it for me. Pretty enojoyable melodies, tasty playing, and never going overboard with it.

Ha, that worked out well enough! Truthfully, there are a couple M&M songs that are closer to extreme metal that I could have sent, but I don’t like them that much so I figured why send one of those? This is more representative of the nature of their music anyway. Lots of fun, crazy instrumental stuff in a compact package.

Gonna send something to soothe your sore ears next.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #883 on: February 05, 2022, 03:01:58 PM »
I maybe should have gone with one of the longer tracks from the album. Oranssi Pazuzu aren’t a band I listen to that often, but they’re pretty unique. Psychedelic black metal is what I’ve seen them described as, and that makes sense.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #884 on: February 05, 2022, 03:43:17 PM »
Sent some pretty music

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #885 on: February 05, 2022, 03:56:58 PM »
I'll take that.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #886 on: February 05, 2022, 05:06:13 PM »
getting my best score in the extreme round  :rollin
i'm out of the bottom slot!!!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #887 on: February 05, 2022, 06:18:52 PM »
Damn... Lost the lead.... Hope I can claim it back with the prog and long rounds, this eolay to my library better anyways

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #888 on: February 05, 2022, 06:21:39 PM »
Loneshmegland, WTF is an eolay?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #889 on: February 05, 2022, 06:35:28 PM »

Shut your Tachole. :lol

Still in the running!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #890 on: February 05, 2022, 06:36:35 PM »
there's a one-point gap between 5th and last atm so tbh everyone is still in the running  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #891 on: February 05, 2022, 06:40:49 PM »
there's a one-point gap between 5th and last atm so tbh everyone is still in the running  :lol

..in the running...for last place? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #892 on: February 05, 2022, 06:42:47 PM »
for the EP round, which requires you to place in the top 5  :corn

Online HOF

« Reply #893 on: February 05, 2022, 07:15:22 PM »

What if there’s still a 4-way tie for 5th place?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #894 on: February 05, 2022, 08:12:57 PM »

I don't even fucking know now...  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #895 on: February 05, 2022, 08:15:42 PM »
 :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #896 on: February 05, 2022, 08:27:17 PM »
I can't even help you RJ.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #897 on: February 06, 2022, 04:32:12 AM »
Round 5 sent.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #898 on: February 06, 2022, 07:13:18 AM »

What if there’s still a 4-way tie for 5th place?
I think I'll have a quick deathmatch round in which all 4 of them send me a song and the one I like most wins the spot for the EP round :corn

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #899 on: February 06, 2022, 07:14:21 AM »
Squ

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #900 on: February 06, 2022, 07:27:23 AM »
Sent!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #901 on: February 06, 2022, 09:40:46 AM »
Down to 3rd, not confident in my submissions for the next few rounds but I'll stick with them
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #902 on: February 06, 2022, 10:42:24 AM »
Sent!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #903 on: February 07, 2022, 08:24:00 AM »
Totally forgot to send yesterday, I'm on it now.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #904 on: February 07, 2022, 10:23:09 AM »
give me the E for Evermind forgot to send

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #905 on: February 07, 2022, 10:59:46 AM »
Cool, just missing on 2 players now. Hope to have their entries by tonight, else they shall be shamed on the thread title :corn :corn :corn

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #906 on: February 07, 2022, 11:24:43 AM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #907 on: February 07, 2022, 11:42:17 AM »
DAMMIT! :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #908 on: February 08, 2022, 07:33:44 AM »
Cool, just missing on 2 players now. Hope to have their entries by tonight, else they shall be shamed on the thread title :corn :corn :corn

:corn :corn

corn

corncorn

:corn corn
Squ

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #909 on: February 08, 2022, 07:45:04 AM »

:corn :corn

corn

corncorn

:corn corn

I sent mine...