Poll

Who's winning???

Buddy
HOF
Kevin Moore

Author Topic: Sacul's simple roulette v4. CONGRATS KEVIN MOORE!!!!1!  (Read 51115 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: Sacul's simple roulette v4. IT'S ALMOST OVER!!!1! #3!!!
« Reply #1855 on: May 06, 2022, 12:16:47 AM »
Congrats Lonestar! Looks like you win by default!  :metal :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sacul's simple roulette v4. IT'S ALMOST OVER!!!1! #3!!!
« Reply #1856 on: May 06, 2022, 12:02:40 PM »
So glad I got my results...

The results are in...says keep being awesome Lonestar!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
IT'S FINALLY OVER!!!!1!!
« Reply #1857 on: May 07, 2022, 10:48:12 AM »
I had a stupidly busy week, including my first live performance, but I've finally managed to write up the remaining results!

HOF
Everything In Chelsea Works Out By Morning

This EP is quite a mood

Nicholas Britell Agape

First impression: This song's piano is lovely

It's such a simple and short, but quite lovely song. I love the deep piano chords, and the overlayed wind instruments add such a nice texture. Not much else to say here, it's a great opener for this EP. Oh and it's part of a soundtrack it seems - gotta watch this movie then.

16/20

Counting Crows Chelsea

First impression: This song has plenty of emotion

This has quite a vintage vibe despite being a late 90s recording, but I dig it. The mood is quite intimate, the vocals start quite soft but melancholic, and the trumpet and sax add to it. It's quite a nice and pretty ballad at first, but then on the second half it starts building up to an emotional sort of climax. Kinda wished it had gone a bit more into it, with even more intensity, but it's still quite nice.

16/20

The Pearlfishers Everything Works Out

First impression: This song is quite gentle

I just love how most of these tracks so far involve the piano in a way or another - this one being a shorter ballad. It's a lovely little piece, mostly instrumental, and maybe a bit too short. But works fine as a sort of interlude after such an intense song.

15/20

Phil Collins You Know What I Mean

First impression: This song is both intimate and grand

I've never listened to any Phil Collins outside of In the Air Tonight that jingle.boy sent me on a previous roulette - that was alright, so I was curious about this one. Quite different, less pop, more intimate, but sort of grandiose in a way due to the strings. I like it, just wished it was a little longer and had less vocals.

15/20

Nick D'Virgillio Will It Be Me

First impression: This song is just fine

Surprised to see this song is early 2000s, thought it was a decade older at least. I don't have much to say, it's a nice little ballad but one that feels sorta generic imo. I don't know much about this artist, but feels like this type of songs aren't his specialty, but I might be wrong :P

14/20

The Pearlfishers Is It Any Wonder?

First impression: This song is quite warm

Another song I felt was quite older than it is, maybe I need to update my perception on what the early 2000s actually sounded like :lol . This song does some things wonderfully, like the soft vocals, the layered and organic instrumentation, and the melancholic mood. Those strings in particular are lovely. Maybe I need a bit more of time to fully love it, but am digging it. Great tune.

16/20

Field Music The Morning is Waiting

First impression: This song is organic

I like the layering here, I think the strings and piano work very well. The vocal harmonies I dig, they remind me a bit to Julia Holter. Not much to say, a nice and lovely closer track.

15/20

Flow: 5/5

Final score: Roulette + Flow + EP = 32.5 + 5 + 15.29 = 52.79

Thanks for playing! You stayed consistent and had some bangers along the way, and I think your EP is the best one of the round. I've definitely got a plenty of stuff to check out now.

And the winner is...

Buddyhunter1
Let's GO!☆ GO!☆ ...towards the Final Battle!!!

This EP has an interesting narrative

Toby Fox Once Upon A Time

First impression: This song reminds me of a game I love

It has some Earthbound vibes, which I know it's a huge influence, and I just love the simple but pleasing synths here. Short but sweet song. I should prob go back and finish this game one day, or watch a gameplay at least.

16/20

Mad Lollypop Kidnapping The Princess

First impression: This song reminds me of another track from this round

I think I had Periphery in mind when I first listened to this? It does bear some similarity here and there, mostly in the way they build their melodies. And kinda like that band, I don't find myself that engaged by them. I do appreciate the layering and the atmosphere here, and the musicianship is quite nice for such an obscure band though.

13/20

Buddyhunter Primer

First impression: This song is surprisingly varied

Quite brave to send your own music! I'm quite surprised by how much it sucks and blows varied and engaging this song is - it's got that mix of video game-like synths and rock music that seems to appeal you a lot. Buddycore if you may. I like this quite a bit actually, it's got a very catchy motif, has enough variety in its simple structure to keep you engaged, and the musicianship is quite impressive. Congrats!

15/20

Revo The Evil Wings

First impression: This song feels like a fantasy game soundtrack

Ok I had totally forgotten you asking me about Bravely Default (I don't play weeb games :neverusethis:), so I thought huh this totally sounds like vidya music I wonder why now :lol. Anyway, it's a fun, kind of epic track, but feels sorta generic for this kind of games? I'm not a big fan of fantasy stuff in general these days, and I also feel this would be more pleasing to me in the game's context tbh.

14/20

Revo Uroboros, The Serpent That Devours The Horizon

First impression: This song reminds me of a heavier version of The Astonishing

My feelings here are quite similar to the other song - I'd prefer to listen to it while gaming. But on its own is quite interesting, it does sort of remind me of DT a bit, particularly with the guitar solos. I quite like the energy here, it feels climatic and emotional. Also is that irish music near the end? It's a nice touch.

14/20

Toby Fox Last Goodbye

First impression: This song almost makes me want to have finished playing that game

The transition from mostly orchestral, organic instrumentation to chiptune goodness is a bit abrupt tbh. Anyway, the song is pretty good - I like that it transitions between these lovely piano segments and the rock parts. My only gripe is that it ends quite soon, I was sorta expecting a bit more from it. Oh well, guess it also makes sense in context.

15/20

Flow: 4.5/5

Final score: Roulette + Flow + EP = 35 + 4.5 + 14.5 = 54

Thanks a lot for playing! You did drop plenty of bangers along the way, and managed to win this with a pretty solid EP. Congrats buddy, good hunting :metardica::metardica::metardica:

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: Sacul's simple roulette v4. CONGRATS KEVIN MOORE!!!!1!
« Reply #1858 on: May 07, 2022, 10:51:05 AM »
CONGRATS KEVIN MOORE!!!! :kvlt:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1859 on: May 07, 2022, 10:51:31 AM »
It's over? It's really over?? Congrats buddy...and thanks for the hosting Sacul....if you can drag out lovemaking like you do a roulette, you'll end up with more ass on you than a sorority house toilet seat.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1860 on: May 07, 2022, 11:16:18 AM »
and for curiosity, the EP round results separate from the overall roulette results:

HOF: 20.29 (15.29 + 5)
Cyril: 19.75 (14.75 + 5)
Buddyhunter: 19 (14.5 + 4.5)
lonestar: 18.9 (14.4 + 4.5)
Vmadera00: 17 (14+3)

congrats ariich!

Offline HOF

« Reply #1861 on: May 07, 2022, 12:13:02 PM »
Came up short but won the EP round, so that’s fine by me. Congrats Kevin Moore, I mean, Buddy.

Re: the Pearlfishers and the sound of the 2000s, they are definitely kind of a throwback to 60s/70s pop, but still with a bit of a 90s/00s edge at times. Kind of an update on The Beatles and Burt Bacharach or something.

Glad you liked this collection of mostly chill piano based stuff. Someone introduced me to that Nicholas Brittell tune a little while back, but I have no idea what the movie is about. I thought it would be a good opener for something like this, and I just sort of went from there with the stuff based on piano and horns and stuff. When else was I going to be able to sneak in stuff like this from Counting Crows and Phil Collins into a roulette (especially since those tracks aren’t super representative of their sound)? Anyway, big fan of this kind of music, so I’m glad you liked it!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1862 on: May 07, 2022, 12:14:45 PM »

My second win! Very happy with how this turned out. :metal

Thanks for running this Sacul, I love doing roulettes with you - I feel like you have the most musical compatibility with me when it comes to stuff that isn't usual DTF fare. :lol Maybe you'll finally win one of my roulettes the next time I do one? ;)

And thank you for the praise for my song! Not quite good enough to compete with the 2 minute intro track though, I see. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline TheSoylentMan

• Nothing ever happens on Mars
« Reply #1863 on: May 10, 2022, 09:02:58 AM »
Congratulations Buddyhunter! Your taste in music rivals your knowledge of quality pop culture references.
And thanks Sacul for running the roulette. I enjoyed taking part in it.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1864 on: May 11, 2022, 07:39:22 PM »
It's over? It's really over?? Congrats buddy...and thanks for the hosting Sacul....if you can drag out lovemaking like you do a roulette, you'll end up with more ass on you than a sorority house toilet seat.
Well damn, thanks I guess :lol

Re: the Pearlfishers and the sound of the 2000s, they are definitely kind of a throwback to 60s/70s pop, but still with a bit of a 90s/00s edge at times. Kind of an update on The Beatles and Burt Bacharach or something.

Glad you liked this collection of mostly chill piano based stuff. Someone introduced me to that Nicholas Brittell tune a little while back, but I have no idea what the movie is about. I thought it would be a good opener for something like this, and I just sort of went from there with the stuff based on piano and horns and stuff. When else was I going to be able to sneak in stuff like this from Counting Crows and Phil Collins into a roulette (especially since those tracks aren’t super representative of their sound)? Anyway, big fan of this kind of music, so I’m glad you liked it!
Oh that explains a lot :P

Yeah I can see that there's enough overlap with our tastes to make that stuff work for both of us. Glad to have had you playing here!

My second win! Very happy with how this turned out. :metal

Thanks for running this Sacul, I love doing roulettes with you - I feel like you have the most musical compatibility with me when it comes to stuff that isn't usual DTF fare. :lol Maybe you'll finally win one of my roulettes the next time I do one? ;)

And thank you for the praise for my song! Not quite good enough to compete with the 2 minute intro track though, I see. :lol
Yeah it's always fun to have you here. I hope I can win one of your future roulettes!

I mean, I just loooove that intro track tbf. Dem retro synths just work beautifully.

Congratulations Buddyhunter! Your taste in music rivals your knowledge of quality pop culture references.
And thanks Sacul for running the roulette. I enjoyed taking part in it.
Thanks to you for playing!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1865 on: May 11, 2022, 08:38:49 PM »
I mean, I just loooove that intro track tbf. Dem retro synths just work beautifully.

I just think it's funny that for two of my EPs in a row the 1-2 minute intro track ended up being tied for the highest score out of all of the songs. If I ever have to make another one for you I might try to fit in as many short segues as possible! :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1