Author Topic: RIP John Madden  (Read 1572 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
RIP John Madden
« on: December 28, 2021, 05:35:04 PM »
Legendary coach, announcer, and advocate for on field safety passes at 85 years old.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: RIP John Madden
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 05:36:00 PM »
Legendary coach, announcer, and advocate for on field safety passes at 85 years old.

Oh Shit!!

I was a Raider fan as a kid in the 70's.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2021, 05:41:36 PM »
When I was ten, my dad took my brother and I on a trip to Boston. We were having breakfast in the hotel, and the only other person eating was him. My dad asked him if he was out looking at schools for his son, and John picked up his plate, walked over, and joined us for breakfast. My dad and him chatted it up like old friends, while my brother and I just sat there dumbfounded (as locals to the raider legacy, we were well familiar wit what was happening)

That's the type of man he was.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2021, 05:42:20 PM »
Wow, that's quite a story.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2021, 06:38:47 PM »
A true legend.

I will never forget his comment at the end of the Broncos/Falcons Super Bowl when the sideline reporter said at the end of the game about how he had a championship hat and t-shirt that he would send up to Madden and Summerall, and when Summerall said, "No, you keep them," Madden immediately retorted, "No, send 'em up! I always say that if you can eat it or wear it, I'll take it." :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

R.I.P.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2021, 07:41:58 PM »
Dafuq?

I just watched the All Madden ESPN show today that I had saved since last week.

Me and my boys lived on the Sega Genesis Madden football field in the 90s.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2021, 08:11:16 PM »
Looking back on his career was interesting.

The Raiders won SB11 the year before I started following football, so the image of Madden getting carried off the field was ubiquitous during my formative years.  That season, the Broncos beat the Raiders in the AFC West and then beat them in the AFC Championship game.  My course as a Bronco fan was set, but I wasn't quite a Raider hater yet.  Madden only coached one more season before retiring because of (according to Wikipedia) "an increasingly deteriorating ulcer condition and occupational burnout."  He coached 10 seasons and won the division in 7 of those seasons.  His worst record was 9-7 in the 1978 season.

I don't really remember much about Madden as a coach and only really know him as a broadcaster with Pat Summerall.  That team was awesome.  Funny thing is that the only particular moment I remember was when he advocated for the Patriots to run out the clock and play for overtime in SB36.  I remember him saying that, and I was screaming that it would be stupid to do that because there was plenty of time to get into field goal range and giving the Rams a 50/50 chance of scoring on the first drive of overtime was an awful idea.

Seems like he would have been a real fun guy to know.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2021, 10:34:11 PM »
Looking back on his career was interesting.

The Raiders won SB11 the year before I started following football, so the image of Madden getting carried off the field was ubiquitous during my formative years.  That season, the Broncos beat the Raiders in the AFC West and then beat them in the AFC Championship game.  My course as a Bronco fan was set, but I wasn't quite a Raider hater yet.  Madden only coached one more season before retiring because of (according to Wikipedia) "an increasingly deteriorating ulcer condition and occupational burnout."  He coached 10 seasons and won the division in 7 of those seasons.  His worst record was 9-7 in the 1978 season.

I don't really remember much about Madden as a coach and only really know him as a broadcaster with Pat Summerall.  That team was awesome.  Funny thing is that the only particular moment I remember was when he advocated for the Patriots to run out the clock and play for overtime in SB36.  I remember him saying that, and I was screaming that it would be stupid to do that because there was plenty of time to get into field goal range and giving the Rams a 50/50 chance of scoring on the first drive of overtime was an awful idea.

Seems like he would have been a real fun guy to know.
And to his credit he owned right up to it. I just watched the 4th quarter of that game, and he insisted that he never would have done it, but the Patriots surely proved him wrong. His analysis was very good, and you could tell how much he enjoyed watching a great game. "Pat, this is what Super Bowls are supposed to be."
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2021, 03:01:46 AM »
iconic voice, and someone I grew up watching long before even his Video game became so popular.

I had no idea he was from Austin, MN, which ironically, he defeated the Vikings in the Super Bowl he won in 1976.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2021, 06:55:34 AM »
I loved watching Madden and Summerall call games.  Man, THAT was football.

RIP
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2021, 11:06:30 AM »
Yep, Madden and Summerall were the best.  Really miss those two calling games.

RIP
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2021, 08:44:19 AM »
I loved watching Madden and Summerall call games.  Man, THAT was football.

RIP

Fond memories of my child hood; we used to go to my aunt's house every Sunday night for dinner, and I would sit in the den with my cousins and watch football (one of my cousins was a Dallas fan, and they played a lot).

I wish I got to see more of the games he coached.