Author Topic: The Book Of BobaLorianGrogu - That's a Wrap Folks....  (Read 23440 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Book Of BobaLorianGrogu - Episode 6 Out Now....
« Reply #245 on: February 07, 2022, 08:19:59 AM »
Just saw this article that describes how they did the CGI Luke. His voice was also generated by a computer program based on old Hamil audio clips, which might explain why his dialogue was so awkward.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a38971109/cgi-luke-skywalker-mandalorian-book-of-boba-fett/

My gf was wondering if he had to talk so slow for the CGI to work best on his face.  It was definitely pretty amazing in terms of how it looked so real.  Sucked though because it felt like "poor acting" though even though it's more complicated than that.

Online The Realm

Re: The Book Of BobaLorianGrogu - Episode 6 Out Now....
« Reply #246 on: February 07, 2022, 04:26:49 PM »
The acting of CGI Luke was very ordinary. The line delivery was worse than Hayden Christensen in Attack of the Clones.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Book Of BobaLorianGrogu - That's a Wrap Folks....
« Reply #247 on: February 09, 2022, 07:10:28 AM »
Last episode was MEH.
Why Fennec Shand didn’t do what she did at the end of the episode first, many troubles would have been avoided.
Grogu coming in the wing x, was very meh too, how could he take the ship, convinced R2 to go with him etc, plus, his parts were very silly.
Who is the old man on Boba’s bath?

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #248 on: February 09, 2022, 07:27:57 AM »
I thought the finale was good, but left some loose ends. Probably setting up future events. Curious if this show will get a second season. It was kind of a mess, but entertaining enough.

There were a lot of questionable tactics by Boba's team during the battle. Like why did they keep grouping together and get pinned down in a single location?

I'm not sure how I feel about Grogu rejoining Din. I knew that was the route they would go, but I don't think he really adds a whole lot to the story. It felt like his story arc ended and we could move on, but now he'll be tagging along just to look cute.

Who is the old man on Boba’s bath?
Cobb Vanth

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #249 on: February 09, 2022, 07:41:36 AM »
Geez, don't you hate it when all of these Marvel things just end in a giant CGI battle? Oh wait...this is Star Wars?  :lol

It wasn't AWFUL, but yeah, I could feel like a lot of the series was just a way to get to the final episode because they had some cool ideas like, let's see a Rancor battle some Scorpion Droids in the city, or let's have a scene with Boba and Din fighting back-to-back against the Pykes! I feel like there was a lot of set-up to get to these "cool moments" but it all felt a bit mish-mashed together. And yeah, Grogu's inclusion just felt like they wanted to show off what bit of Jedi training he had received.

I'd say the series as a whole is a VERY mixed, bag, and only half of the episodes were any good (2, part of 4, 5 and 6). The finale was OK, but after the first ten minutes, it was just one drawn-out fight with strewn together scenes, which, while entertaining, started to feel a bit TOO drawn-out near the end. At least, they gave us the Boba/Cad show-down, and I guess that's the end of him!

As for Cobb Vanth being in the Bacta Tank and the Mod guy being there, I guess he'll return in the future with some modifications. Might be neat to see him with a cybernetic right arm since he was shot in the shoulder. It might make him a faster gun-draw!

As for Din/Grogu, they definitely left it wide-open as to what they'll do next, but yeah, I had secretly hoped he was going to stay with Luke at least for part of Mandalorian S3, but now that he's back with Din, maybe he'll learn to wield the Dark Saber and become a Jedi/Mandalorian like the original wielder was.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: February 09, 2022, 08:29:54 AM »
Another thing that I don’t understand is, Boba couldn’t believe Din was willing to gave his life for the creed, but when asked what was his angle, he said “this is my city, this is my people” I am sure he doesn’t even know one single name of anyone in that town, and suddenly he is willing to die for them? Come on.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 02:24:42 PM by MinistroRaven »

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #251 on: February 09, 2022, 08:41:16 AM »
I'll say, given the people involved with writing and producing this series, I'm surprised it was a much of a mess as it was. I enjoyed it despite it's pretty major flaws, but compared to The Mandalorian, it was really sub-par. Given that it's largely the same people involved, I hope this doesn't signal diminishing quality in the Mando-verse going forward.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #252 on: February 09, 2022, 09:37:39 AM »
Saw a comment on IGN that I think is a good example of the pickle that Star Wars finds itself in:

"We all know [Grogu] was going to return to Mando eventually but I was hoping it wouldn't be before end of Mando season 3 beginning of 4. Would have liked a Luke and Grogu series... Getting tired of retreading the same ground over and over."

This individual is criticizing Star Wars for doing the same thing over and over, which I think is fair, but in the same breath is also hoping for more OT Luke Skywalker. :lol

Because of the rapid advancements in technology these past few years, Star Wars will always have the option of going back to the well and referencing old characters. This often results in moments of palpable nostalgia and joy (which is much needed in the world today) but it also feels a bit hollow and, as Bosk alluded to, corporate at times, IMO.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #253 on: February 09, 2022, 11:12:29 AM »
With the right director, it could have been great, but Robert Rodriguez is a shit director. Why do they keep letting him direct action heavy episodes?

Offline faizoff

« Reply #254 on: February 09, 2022, 12:52:30 PM »
I personally really like Robert Rodriguez's work but not the Spy Kids work, more like Sin City work. This finale had flashbacks to episode 3 again. There were some good things and some awful things. In the end I guess it just was ok. I kinda wished they hadn't forced in the Mandalorian in any of these episodes. Total waste of an arc for this show. Really mixed show.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #255 on: February 09, 2022, 08:59:38 PM »
I was going to come in and talk about how much I enjoyed it, but this seems like the wrong thread for that.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #256 on: February 09, 2022, 09:03:53 PM »
I was going to come in and talk about how much I enjoyed it, but this seems like the wrong thread for that.

Yeah. All in all I liked the season. I think it was pretty clear that series was used as a shoe horn for S3 of The Mandalorian and S1 for Ahsoka. Boba’s character got some back story and he’s accomplished what he set out to do.

I was surprised they killed off Cad Bane considering he was impossible to kill in the animated shows…..always slipping away just in time…..but it was fitting that Boba was the one who did it considering their history. It’s too bad those who haven’t seen the animated stuff don’t understand just how great a character that was.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #257 on: February 09, 2022, 09:30:44 PM »
It was a bang-bang finale, and ended the series on a high note overall.  But overall, I feel like it wasn't really earned.  We sat through six episodes of some pretty inconsistent build-up to get to it.  Some good scenes, but I don't know if any single episode was really good.  And in the end, the "book" of Boba Fett was really just a footnote in the saga of Din Djarin, The Mandalorian.  When Mando Season 3 comes round, it can just pick up from here.  I'm looking forward to that.  I'm fine if there's no Book 2 of Boba Fett.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #258 on: February 09, 2022, 09:38:08 PM »
I'm with you. I enjoyed the series overall. There were some questionable plot choices, but nothing egregious. I think a lot of the problems people are having with the show stems from the shows inability to convey just how much time has passed between when Boba escaped the sarlacc pit and the final showdown with the Pyke Syndicate. It's been years at this point.

Also there are a lot of characters from the animated series that a lot of people aren't familiar with if you hadn't watched those series. Which is too bad because those series are really good too.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #259 on: February 09, 2022, 10:58:59 PM »
Fun finale,enjoyed it, but also agree with everyone that overall the series was a sloppy mess of ideas that were just forced together. They set aside building a good story in favor of fan service, and lost a lot of potential in the process. Honestly, they could've hinted at Grogu, had Mando be a mercenary to help Boba, and keep the series centered on him and fans would've been very happy. I figured Grogu would choose Mando, if only that gives them an out for him surviving Ben's breakdown.

Grogu is still just too fucking cute though.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: February 10, 2022, 05:48:06 AM »
Had fun watching the finale. Grogu in space mithril is a win for the show. I enjoyed how Boba riding the monster was a pretty chaotic and destructive way to accomplish his goals. I was very pleased to see him stab that ridiculous blue High Plains Drifter wanna be. It was like being threatened by a Teletubby-shark with indigestion--annoying more than scary.

All in all, fun series. Kinda weird at times, but wasn't a waste of time.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #261 on: February 10, 2022, 06:15:12 AM »
All in all, fun series. Kinda weird at times, but wasn't a waste of time.
That really sums it up quite well.  :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: February 10, 2022, 06:54:28 AM »
that ridiculous blue High Plains Drifter wanna be. It was like being threatened by a Teletubby-shark with indigestion--annoying more than scary.

It's a bummer you haven't watched any of the animated series because Cad Bane was far from your description. BUT....I can see how folks who don't know his character or backstory could think such a thing. While Ahsoka or Bo Katan 'works' even without the backstory......you really need to know his history with Boba Fett.....the sinister crap he'd pulled off and how many times he eluded sure death for his little role to be appreciated.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: February 10, 2022, 07:20:55 AM »
We’ll, I did watch them all and to say that I was less impressed than you would be an understatement.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #264 on: February 10, 2022, 07:23:56 AM »
The first four episodes were a little boring.  The last three with Mando were definitely more entertaining to watch, including the finale, but yeah, it was a bit of a mess.

I think the first four would have been more effective if the framing device of memories in a bacta tank was removed, and all of the flashback scenes were instead given as a continuous group in episode 1.  And also if Boba Fett as a character had any depth or worth in any way other than visually.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #265 on: February 10, 2022, 07:42:35 AM »
And also if Boba Fett as a character had any depth or worth in any way other than visually.
This is my biggest beef. We never really understood Boba and why he wanted to protect Mos Espa instead of being a bounty hunter. He continually referred to them as "his people" but we never saw him interact with them. He said "they need me" but never presented any evidence that they needed or wanted his protection. I feel like we were just supposed to accept the change that came over Boba after he came out of the sarlaac, but we never really saw the change happen.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: February 10, 2022, 08:09:01 AM »
We’ll, I did watch them all and to say that I was less impressed than you would be an understatement.  :lol

Really? You didn’t like that character? I thought he was pretty slick and a great villain.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: February 10, 2022, 08:16:31 AM »
Thought the finale episode was maybe the best of the series, but that may not be saying too much.  Overall I did enjoy the show, but it really just came off as a poorly told story for Boba and a forceful interjection of the Mandalorian to almost save the show.  I did like how all those forgotten storylines from the first 4 episodes finally came back to play a role in the finale.  I did think a lot of the fight scenes didn't make too much sense, but I enjoyed it mostly for the Rancor action.  Also, did those Droids even kill anyone?  :lol never seen so many missed shots.

Geez, don't you hate it when all of these Marvel things just end in a giant CGI battle? Oh wait...this is Star Wars?  :lol

Add in the after credits scene.  Which really is fine.  My gf's prediction is Cobb eventually takes over for Boba as Boba will eventually leave "his people" to go back to bounty hunting or some other role in the Mando world.  I can see that happening, since as others have stated, there's really been no reason presented for Boba to be one with his people.

I was surprised they killed off Cad Bane considering he was impossible to kill in the animated shows…..always slipping away just in time…..but it was fitting that Boba was the one who did it considering their history. It’s too bad those who haven’t seen the animated stuff don’t understand just how great a character that was.

I think this was my least liked part of the episode.  This character, for us who did not watch the cartoons, was new and bad ass and already gone.  I kind of wanted him to be a larger role in the future of Boba's story since they hinted at some backstory between them so I felt like there could be so much more here, but they just ended it.

I'd probably rate the show as a whole like a 6/10 or something.  There's enough there to enjoy it, but not enough to really recommend it to someone. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #268 on: February 10, 2022, 09:16:45 AM »
Keep in mind that the lights on Cad Bane's outfit didn't stop blinking or go out, which leaves the possibility that he isn't QUITE dead.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: February 10, 2022, 09:21:09 AM »
Keep in mind that the lights on Cad Bane's outfit didn't stop blinking or go out, which leaves the possibility that he isn't QUITE dead.

Didn't catch that, but what, they just left his body there then?  :lol I mean, they explained Boba surviving so anything is possible.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #270 on: February 10, 2022, 09:45:20 AM »

Didn't catch that, but what, they just left his body there then?  :lol I mean, they explained Boba surviving so anything is possible.

Not to mention Darth Maul and Fenec surviving..seems unless your a Stormtrooper in Imperial armor, getting shot is merely a flesh would.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #271 on: February 10, 2022, 11:25:44 AM »
I'll preface my post to say, this is jingle.boy opinion only.  God bless ya'll that enjoyed it.

It wasn't AWFUL,

Yes, it was.  That episode single-handedly made it the worst (by far) D+ Marvel/SW series.  I found virtually no redeeming qualities in what I witnessed.  The bones and premise of the episode could've been really good, but the execution was a hot mess.  And the little subtle things (the Mod's spinaroonie shot, Rancor Kong climbing the tower, the Scorpion's having worse aim than a Stormtrooper, the Freetown crowd emptying rounds when the Scorp was shielded, but then just acting like spectators when the shields were down, the clear 'tell' that Boba would use the Tuskan staff to kill Cob (who was absolutely wasted as a character).... need I go on, cuz I could) were like witnessing the ideas of a 6th grader 6-year old. 

I lost count of my  ::)'s at 7.

The best thing about the series was the back-story with the Tuskans

P.S. there's no gravity in space.  jingle.son had the gall to say "but there's G-forces"... to which I responded "WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THING THE G STANDS FOR!?!?!?"  :lol :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #272 on: February 10, 2022, 11:32:25 AM »
And also if Boba Fett as a character had any depth or worth in any way other than visually.
This is my biggest beef. We never really understood Boba and why he wanted to protect Mos Espa instead of being a bounty hunter. He continually referred to them as "his people" but we never saw him interact with them. He said "they need me" but never presented any evidence that they needed or wanted his protection. I feel like we were just supposed to accept the change that came over Boba after he came out of the sarlaac, but we never really saw the change happen.

This was a huge part of my "MEH" overall feeling. Also, when Boba says those droids are going to destroy the town! Droids then proceed orderly down streets... and then Boba brings his rancore to DESTROY the town  :mehlin

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #273 on: February 10, 2022, 11:43:43 AM »
Yeah, that too.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: February 10, 2022, 12:18:33 PM »
 :lol touche

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #275 on: February 10, 2022, 01:16:59 PM »
I enjoyed the finale, and the season as a whole. There are nitpicky complaints that aren't wrong, but have to varying degrees been present in pretty much all Star Wars (including the OT) so those things generally don't bother me very much.

The main factor that differentiates it from the best entries in the franchise is simply that there wasn't really much about the main narrative for me to care about.

To draw comparisons to The Mandalorian, that show also has some nitpicky issues at times (incredibly slow pace, some aspects that don't really make any sense), but the emotional core is about Din trying to figure out who he is. That struggle is mostly written well, and it's conceptually engaging and develops really well such that the odd weaker moments don't detract from it.

By comparison, Boba's struggle isn't really a particularly emotional one but more of a practical/tactical one. Which is fine for what it is, but for me it's not enough to hold a series together. And that's where the more specific issues (occasional weak dialogue, terrible bike chase) become more noticeable.

I do think that if they'd made this Mando Season 3 and split the stories roughly half and half over the course of the season, it would have worked better in a number of ways, but never mind.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: February 10, 2022, 01:42:05 PM »
I do think that if they'd made this Mando Season 3 and split the stories roughly half and half over the course of the season, it would have worked better in a number of ways, but never mind.

Increased episode numbers in S3 of Mando that incorporated the Boba storyline would have worked. Throw a 10 episode S3 of Mando with 45+ minutes per episode and it'd have seemed more tight perhaps.

While it wasn't just this hugely OMG series I still liked that they utilized it to lay the ground work for the other series to come and got some things out of the way that would have chewed up screen time in those series.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #277 on: February 10, 2022, 01:45:52 PM »
I am in full agreement that this would have been better as season 3 of the Mandalorian. 8 episodes, split between Din and Boba with them coming together at the end.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: February 10, 2022, 02:05:31 PM »
I also agree this could have been season 3 of Mando, but if they did go that route, they probably could have cut out some of the Boba stuff to not make it some sort of split season (because then people would probably say "why didn't they just make a Boba season?") and then fill in more of the Mando storyline so he's still the main focus.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #279 on: February 10, 2022, 02:52:32 PM »
I've seen some comments about how they realized that Boba was really kinduva boring guy, so they brought in Din Djarin and suddenly things were more interesting.  It seemed to play out that way, but I can't believe that they didn't plan out the entire seven-episode series ahead of time.  I mean, they didn't see the reviews of the first couple of episodes and decide to change course; there's no way they had time for that.

This means that somehow, they decided that this was the way to go: two episodes of Boba that are mostly flashbactas, two of him actually "running the town" (or trying to anyway), two episodes of Din Djarin because people like him, then a finale that somehow ties everything up.  They planned this.  They thought it would be awesome, even told us so.  And this is what we got?