Author Topic: The Book Of BobaLorianGrogu - That's a Wrap Folks....  (Read 23231 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Book Of Boba - All Whiners Report to the Sarlacc Pit...
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2022, 07:18:16 PM »
When HOF brought it up, I wasn’t even thinking about Ford (for reasons already mentioned). My mind went immediately to Alden Ehrenreich, which I don’t think is that far fetched.

But he’s Harrison Ford at that point. It’d be really off putting to have young Han show up as older Han when we already know what Han looks like there.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online HOF

« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2022, 07:23:47 PM »
When HOF brought it up, I wasn’t even thinking about Ford (for reasons already mentioned). My mind went immediately to Alden Ehrenreich, which I don’t think is that far fetched.

Yeah, I was thinking the younger guy from Solo (assuming that’s the Alden guy). Or they could CGI it like Luke I guess but that wouldn’t work too well for more than just a brief appearance.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2022, 07:26:00 PM »
How about that one guy that everyone wanted the first time that actually sounds like Ford, and can probably be dressed up to look just like him too?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2022, 07:47:40 PM »

But he’s Harrison Ford at that point. It’d be really off putting to have young Han show up as older Han when we already know what Han looks like there.

Alden is just 10 years younger than Ford was when he was shooting Jedi. I don’t think it’s that big of a stretch. Did we just establish in this thread that we are in a time just post-ROTJ?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2022, 04:39:17 AM »
Was up early this morning so I watched chapter 3. I feel like there's too much building up for something and not enough happening right now. I haven't been blown away with this series so far. I'll keep watching of course and hope the end will redeem the slow start.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2022, 06:41:19 AM »

Alden is just 10 years younger than Ford was when he was shooting Jedi. I don’t think it’s that big of a stretch. Did we just establish in this thread that we are in a time just post-ROTJ?

yeah?? I think we're all assuming that it's right after the time established by The Mandalorian given he has his armour, and the partnership with Fennec
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2022, 09:01:23 AM »
This show is like the Mandolorian in that it basically is a bunch of flashy stuff happens onscreen but with barely any plot or dialog of note.  Mandalorian was at least fun though, in a sort of throwback to 80's TV serials.  Book of Fett hasn't really caught a light yet, these first 3 episodes have actually been pretty bland and the action strangely unengaging so far (witness the chase in this recent episode), I'm not really digging Boba Fett much as a character either which isn't helping.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2022, 10:58:38 AM »
I liked Chapter 3 quite a lot! The fight with Krrsantan was a lot of fun and I enjoyed the chase through Mos Espa. It'll be interesting to see how Boba gets along with the Pyke Syndicate both in his past and in the present.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2022, 11:55:55 AM »
This show is like the Mandolorian in that it basically is a bunch of flashy stuff happens onscreen but with barely any plot or dialog of note.  Mandalorian was at least fun though, in a sort of throwback to 80's TV serials.  Book of Fett hasn't really caught a light yet, these first 3 episodes have actually been pretty bland and the action strangely unengaging so far (witness the chase in this recent episode), I'm not really digging Boba Fett much as a character either which isn't helping.

Yeah, I agree. There’s nothing really drawing me in to this show. The Boba Fett of the OT was a shadowy, mysterious character. I think it actually detracts from the character’s appeal by giving him this sort of follow on story. I think sometimes you can overexplain things which would have been better left to the imagination.

It still freaks me out to think that the original stormtroopers all look like Boba Fett under their helmets.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2022, 11:04:43 PM »
Yeah...I'm starting to see a lot of wasted potential in this one, really hope it picks up. That chase scene reeked of cheesiness, almost painful to watch. Really hoping it picks up.

Also, with a whole galaxy to play in, why the fuck do they keep going back to Tatooine?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2022, 04:50:33 AM »
Agreed. That chase was NOT good at all - I said to jingle.son, “it’s no Bourne Identity, that’s for sure”.  Those scooters the kids had were lame. Everything else was fine though. I’m thinking the Rancor and handler ... :itsatrap:  if not, quite the twist / direction to go with the creature.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 06:48:39 AM by jingle.boy »
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2022, 05:34:22 AM »
Yeah, the rancor was dope... Definitely hope they pull in that thread more.

Guess I better change the thread title since we're whining now....

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: The Book Of Boba - Episode 3 Out Now!!
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2022, 07:00:08 AM »
Watched it last night and can whole heartedly agree that the chase scene was utter cheese. From the design of those hover motor cycles to the fact they were going all of 25 mph through the streets.....it was just....bad. Surprising with all the resources available.

It's just tough to see what the 'end game' is here? How's this advancing the story of which they've admitted all of these shows they're doing will ultimately culminate in their storylines meeting up with one another. Outside of Boba just wanting to be a boss....it's tough to see the point of this show right now. I dug the first two episodes but this one was kind of a throw away. Short episode with really nothing to offer other than we found out the Mayor is teaming up with the Pyke Syndicate.....which really doesn't surprise anyone.

Anyway....I'm still thinking the final flashback Bacta tank dream scene will be Boba watching the Mandalorian ride off with his old armor from that hillside......and that in this 'war' that's coming up the Pyke Syndicate will believe they have Boba outnumbered and beaten at some point and then the Tuskan's will show up just in time to save the day. What happens in between that is what I'm curious about.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2022, 07:44:07 AM »
Am I the only one that LOVED seeing Danny Trejo show up as the Rancor handler?  It was also directed by Robert Rodriguez, which was cool.

I had to do a little reading, since it's been a while from watching Solo, but the Pyke Syndicate is the crime syndicate from that film.  So I think the show is just going to be a little thing that connects the characters from that film to the Disney+ show universe.  We may see Q'ira or Darth Maul show up at the end - I've read that Q'ira is a big rumored cameo, but I would bet on a live action Maul too.

This show is just a vehicle that gives fans a little backstory for Boba Fett and it allows some potential crossover from the films/cartoons to the live action shows.  I'm not expecting anything more out of it. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2022, 07:56:43 AM »
I had to do a little reading, since it's been a while from watching Solo, but the Pyke Syndicate is the crime syndicate from that film.  So I think the show is just going to be a little thing that connects the characters from that film to the Disney+ show universe.  We may see Q'ira or Darth Maul show up at the end - I've read that Q'ira is a big rumored cameo, but I would bet on a live action Maul too.

I think that's probably where this is going as it would make the most sense given the timeframe and the underworld aspect of the show.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2022, 09:05:40 AM »
Yeah...I'm starting to see a lot of wasted potential in this one, really hope it picks up. That chase scene reeked of cheesiness, almost painful to watch. Really hoping it picks up.

Also, with a whole galaxy to play in, why the fuck do they keep going back to Tatooine?

Why are most of Marvel's heroes centered around New York? Maybe the folks at Lucasfilm just like the location and want to explore it a bit more. Don't be upset when we're on Tatooine for the majority of the Obi-Wan series as well. I don't think this will be the last of the Outer Rim desert planet we see in the Star Wars universe.

I think that's probably where this is going as it would make the most sense given the timeframe and the underworld aspect of the show.

Qi'ra definitely, but Maul should be dead-dead by the time of this show. He was dead before A New Hope, so hopefully they don't bring him back to life AGAIN. Seeing Qi'ra again would definitely add more connective tissue to Solo, which, if we're getting more connections to it, I may have to rewatch that film sometime soon.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2022, 09:53:34 AM »
Qi'ra definitely, but Maul should be dead-dead by the time of this show. He was dead before A New Hope, so hopefully they don't bring him back to life AGAIN. Seeing Qi'ra again would definitely add more connective tissue to Solo, which, if we're getting more connections to it, I may have to rewatch that film sometime soon.

Yep. What's funny is after I typed my last post I hopped into a meeting and was sitting there then it hit me that Maul can't show up in this series. He's legit dead at this time. And, I don't see him being able to force ghost his way into it. IF they go that route.....it'd be Qi'ra

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2022, 10:05:58 AM »

Yep. What's funny is after I typed my last post I hopped into a meeting and was sitting there then it hit me that Maul can't show up in this series. He's legit dead at this time. And, I don't see him being able to force ghost his way into it. IF they go that route.....it'd be Qi'ra
I'd love to see a Qi'ra appearance. More so than a Han Solo cameo, which has been long speculated. I'd love them to expand on characters from Solo and eventually make Solo 2, or a Solo D+ series or something.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2022, 10:12:16 AM »

I have never watched a single episode of the Star Wars cartoon series.  I remember hearing that they resurrected Maul for the show and saw him in Solo.  If he was killed off again, that's not something I'm aware of. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2022, 10:28:40 AM »

I have never watched a single episode of the Star Wars cartoon series.  I remember hearing that they resurrected Maul for the show and saw him in Solo.  If he was killed off again, that's not something I'm aware of.

It was an interesting way they went about his resurrection....it worked well with the story and they were able to add a lot of 'meat' to a character that didn't get much time onscreen to really develop. He became quite an interesting character for sure. I'll go ahead and small font it but it's not really spoilerly because it's been around for years but  he was OBSESSED with getting revenge on Kenobi....that was the driving force that basically kept him alive....anyway, he ultimately tracked down Kenobi on Tatooine when they were both much older.....had a brief conversation with him....then they battled. It was quick as Maul tried to use the same sequence/method to kill Kenobi as he did his Master all those years ago.....Kenobi noticed that and it was a brief fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeG215-yu-k

Online Adami

« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2022, 03:57:44 PM »
So I have been thinking about my issues with this show. I mostly enjoy it, but I still see considerable issues with it.

1) As I stated earlier, I think it's too similar to Mandalorian to be the next show. They needed a pallet cleanser or something with a different spirit/tone in between them.

2) I am simply unsure what the point of the show is. We're almost half way done and we have a guy who escaped death, bonded with a group of ........oh yea, it's Lawrence of Arabia. At least the flashbacks are. The modern stuff seems a little too just out of nowhere. I need to know WHY a character is doing what they are doing. I get that he is becoming a mob boss etc, but I have no idea why.. Just cause? I dunno. I need to connect with a character's motivations. I'm sure they will explain it through flashbacks, but you need some of that motivation from the beginning to latch on to and thus far, we just don't have it. I have no idea why he's doing what he's doing and finding out in the end doesn't make up for it.

3) I think there's a major clash between plot and tone. This is a dark show in plot. A bounty hunter who decides to become a mob boss and fight to claim his territory just doesn't lend itself to PG Disney tone. That kind of plot needs darkness. Instead you have a clash of "Guy wants to run a seedy underworld" and "Guy pets a Rankor like a kitten and also tells people no more killing." They just don't go well together, and the result is something so watered down that it lacks the impact it may have intended to have. It's a prime example of the difference between idea and execution. The lack of ability to get dark and violent was VERY evident when Crunchy (that's what I'm calling evil Chewy) fought Boba and the gang. Boba got bit hard, punched with spiked knuckles, and literally crushed and walked away with even a scratch. Crunch got stabbed multiple times and was fine. The Shrek twins, I thought, got at least parts of them bitten off but were fine. You can't have a fight like that, with no repercussions, and expect us to be that invested unless you tell us Boba is a super powered person of sorts, which he's not.

4) Much of it is just boring. That chase scene was so low stakes and boring that my fiancée and I kept talking about how bored we were, which not something we do during a Star Wars show. It feels like the episodes have half or less of an episode's worth of plot and just stretch it out. The flash back stuff has some energy and drive to it, but the modern stuff is just.........bland. I don't know who Boba really is, I don't know who Ming Na's character really is. I don't know who the Mayor is. I don't know who the Pykes or whatever are. I don't know who that Bib Fortuna looking dude is. As of now they're just kind of there and doing stuff without reason. I have no idea why anyone is doing anything.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2022, 04:33:03 PM »
I have no idea why anyone is doing anything.

But the anticipation of it all ....

I had a boss once tell / teach me, "If you can't convince them, confuse them".   :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2022, 04:50:31 PM »
@Adami:  I don't feel quite as strongly as you on any of those points, but I pretty much agree with all of them.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2022, 05:16:21 PM »
@Adami:  I don't feel quite as strongly as you on any of those points, but I pretty much agree with all of them.

Well god damn. If this didn’t make my day. :laugh:

But while said a lot, I’m also still mostly enjoying the show.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2022, 08:53:28 PM »
I am...enjoying that I can sit with the wife and kids and immerse myself in the familiarity of the SW universe for about 40 minutes a week. 

But I'm hoping it goes somewhere that makes sense and is enjoyable. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2022, 09:58:50 PM »
Just watched the first 3 tonight. Yes, Danny Trejo showing up is awesome. Rodriguez directed the 1st and 3rd eps so far and is an Exec Prod. That is absolutely why Machete showed up.

My thoughts, this is a revenge show. The Pyke's probably worked with the speeder gang to wipe out the Sand People tribe. I am guessing that Boba has a score to settle on behalf of his adopted tribe. I mean, there has been no payback yet in the flashbacks. I figure that will happen with the upcoming war.

EDIT: And, yes, Jennifer Beals is freaking ageless. No work done that I can see and still as beautiful as ever.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online The Letter M

« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2022, 10:55:16 PM »
If Black Krrsantan was called "Crunchy" to his face, he'd probably rip your arms off.  :lol

As for Boba's motivations to keeping the peace on Tatooine, it seems like it will definitely tie in with his time with the Tuskens. He has seen the kind of strife and inequality the planet has fallen into his Jabba's rule, and he wants to balance it all out, and keep the Tuskens safe from crime syndicates and roaming gangs, even if means going to war with the Pykes.

-Marc.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2022, 11:18:11 PM »
So I have been thinking about my issues with this show. I mostly enjoy it, but I still see considerable issues with it.

1) As I stated earlier, I think it's too similar to Mandalorian to be the next show. They needed a pallet cleanser or something with a different spirit/tone in between them.

3) I think there's a major clash between plot and tone. This is a dark show in plot. A bounty hunter who decides to become a mob boss and fight to claim his territory just doesn't lend itself to PG Disney tone. That kind of plot needs darkness. Instead you have a clash of "Guy wants to run a seedy underworld" and "Guy pets a Rankor like a kitten and also tells people no more killing." They just don't go well together, and the result is something so watered down that it lacks the impact it may have intended to.

Your whole post was spot on but these two aspects really hit the nail on the head about how I feel about the show. I haven’t seen episode three yet, and I won’t pretend to intimately know the ins and outs of the entire Star Wars cannon but when did Boba Fett become such a goody good?? I thought Boba Fett was the most ruthless and feared bounty Hunter in the galaxy, the guy who had no qualms about taking out Han, Luke, or Leia if the price was right, the guy who even Darth f-ing Vader had say “tone it down” to- “No disintegrations”. Now, he’s saving Tusken Raider kids and lecturing about wanting to “rule with respect, not fear”.

It would have been cool to see the character start the show as a true baddie, maybe even hell bent on revenge and power after his embarrassing defeat at the Sarlacc pit and then slowly see the light and error of his ways. Redemption. Y’know, an actual character arc. Even the Mando has gotten softer over the first two seasons, and that arc makes perfect sense. Instead, so far, we have a show that not only has the same tone as the Mandalorian, Boba Fett’s characterization is basically an older, slower, less badass version of the Mandalorian character.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 11:25:00 PM by Volante99 »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2022, 11:54:32 PM »
I agree with Adami that Boba's motivations aren't currently clear, but I don't agree that there's any particular need to know it from early on. There can be some interesting story-telling from not knowing until later on what someone's real motivation/objective is, as long as it's done well (but that applies to when we do know it from early on as well). So I'm content for now, but it does depend on the rest of the season.

I agree with everyone that the chase scene was not good. It was far too long and drawn out for how unimportant it was. To be honest I just tuned out and did something else until something interesting happened.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2022, 06:22:01 AM »
We have to remember that the "current time" scenes take place 5 years after we last saw Mr. Fett being the most feared bounty hunter in the galaxy. I think the flashback scenes are trying to show us why he's no longer the man he used to be. Multiple near death experiences and the loss of close friends can change a person. So I don't really have a problem with him wanting to be a more reasonable ruler of Mos Espa rather than a cut-throat gangster. Now, I don't think the show has done a great job so far of explaining things, but we're only halfway through. I'll keep watching and hope the end make it worth the slow start.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2022, 06:59:05 AM »
Oh I'll definitely keep watching, never turn down new material, but man that chase seen jumped a few sharks.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2022, 07:01:45 AM »
Funny how almost everyone is chastising that scooter chase, that's exactly the scene that turned my wife off from the show and she refuses to watch any more episodes now. I'm going to be patient and watch the rest but it's been a weird start.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2022, 07:04:06 AM »
Oh I'll definitely keep watching, never turn down new material, but man that chase seen jumped a few sharks.

Same. I was more just shocked that we got 'that' from Filoni and Favreau. They've been pretty good at at least providing some intense action and not including that type of 'cheese factor'. That was bad.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2022, 08:32:43 AM »
Episode 3 was the weakest for me.  The chase scene was laughable, and Boba and his pet Rancor almost turned my stomach.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2022, 02:07:03 PM »
The chase scene was silly, but I just assumed it was because they weren't chasing the mayor; they were chasing his assistant.  Lower stakes, certainly not life-or-death and not worth ripping up the streets of Mos Espa.  What was dumb was that even though the chase was at like 10 mph, they still wiped out countless vegatable stands and stuff, and not a single person came running outside to yell at them or even see what the hell was going on.

The biker chick was cute, though.