Author Topic: The Book Of BobaLorianGrogu - That's a Wrap Folks....  (Read 22902 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: The Book Of BobaLorianGrogu - That's a Wrap Folks....
« Reply #280 on: February 10, 2022, 04:38:46 PM »
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who caught that random unnecessary twirl by the mod guy.

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #281 on: February 10, 2022, 04:44:02 PM »
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who caught that random unnecessary twirl by the mod guy.

Husband and I both were like WTF

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #282 on: February 10, 2022, 07:18:38 PM »
The Book of Boba Fett is so busy it forgets to make Boba Fett interesting

https://www.theverge.com/22925214/the-book-of-boba-fett-season-finale-review-star-wars-disney-plus

Agree on all accounts

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #283 on: February 10, 2022, 08:28:04 PM »

My wife looked at me during that scene and said, "does the twirling help?"
That reminded me of this scene from Galaxy Quest  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #284 on: February 11, 2022, 04:48:01 AM »

Ditto.  jingle.son and I literally lol'd - and not in a good way.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #285 on: February 11, 2022, 04:53:14 AM »

https://www.theverge.com/22925214/the-book-of-boba-fett-season-finale-review-star-wars-disney-plus

Agree on all accounts

That article was 100% spot on.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #286 on: February 11, 2022, 08:13:25 AM »
The show was an enjoyable mess. It was terribly structured and often not well written, but still quite fun because it's all the toys we used to play with.

This video really does a good job explaining it well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItLofBqW4Zc

But yea, they really just need a Star Wars Chronicles or whatever show so they can just do whatever they want and not have to worry about cohesive plots. Cause this was barely about Boba, and when it was, it was not terribly well done.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #287 on: February 11, 2022, 08:33:52 AM »

I literally said out loud "What the fuck was that?"
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: February 11, 2022, 08:42:04 AM »

I must have missed it. I literally don't know what y'all are referencing and Google isn't helping. Anyone got a link to a clip?
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #289 on: February 11, 2022, 08:51:34 AM »
The show was not perfect but it was fun and enjoyable. It would have been better served with one less Boba and the sand creature episodes. I also think it would have been better served calling it something else. Maybe "The Fight for Tatooine" or something.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #290 on: February 11, 2022, 09:13:34 AM »
The show was not perfect but it was fun and enjoyable. It would have been better served with one less Boba and the sand creature episodes. I also think it would have been better served calling it something else. Maybe "The Fight for Tatooine" or something.

Or....."We Have to Fill 6 Weeks with Some SW Stuff Before The Kenobi Series....Here Ya' Go"   
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: February 11, 2022, 09:20:03 AM »

I must have missed it. I literally don't know what y'all are referencing and Google isn't helping. Anyone got a link to a clip?

It was at 32:10, right when a couple of the mods were helping Black Krrsantan up on his feet.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #292 on: February 11, 2022, 09:24:33 AM »

Agree on all accounts

Well, a lot of it is.  But I think it misses the mark in its conclusion when it says, "But like midichlorians or Solo, the series is more proof that attempting to explain everything in Star Wars takes away a bit of the magic that made it so cool in the first place. Sometimes, less is more — but in a world where the entire Disney Plus streaming service hinges on new Star Wars shows, it’s likely that “more” is all we’ll get of these characters." 

Honestly, that isn't really the main problem here.  Yeah, we didn't really need a Boba Fett backstory.  I guess I don't really disagree with that.  But I'm not disappointed that they tried to give us one.  I'm just disappointed that it was executed so poorly.  As with other Star Wars "fails," the bones of a really good story are here.  They just made a mess of it. 

One other issue that I'll mention that hasn't been expressly pointed out:  The scale of the conflict was off.  I had this same complaint for Thor: Ragnarok when we get to see that the "realm" of Asgard is actually more the size of a town with a relatively small population.  The scale problem in this show was different.  Mos Espa and Tatooine as a whole were actually fine.  But then we get the seemingly massive Pyke syndicate, plus Cad Bane, plus a couple of scorpion droids vs. Boba Fett and a dozen or so companions of widely varying levels of competence.  This is such an imbalanced fight.  It was basically that even much earlier in the show when it is Fett, Agent May, and 2 Gammorians telling an entire town that they are now in charge.  That isn't even remotely how things work.  He needed to have rallied some kind of army or group of thugs behind him to provide some sort of reasonable threat to those that would challenge him coming in and declaring himself in charge. 

On top of that, in the final episode, while it could have been a cool underdog story, it didn't come across that way.  Here's an example of a good underdog story that, despite completely one-sided odds, makes you believe the otherwise unbelievable outcome:  John Rambo vs. Sheriff Teasle (and the entire Sheriff's Department of Hope, WA), plus surrounding police/sheriff's departments, plus a local citizen's militia, plus the National Guard.  You all know the story, so I won't bore you by repeating the details.  But it works and we believe it and we root for the underdog because:  (1) we learn that there is a lot more to his character than meets the eye, and he actually has training and skills to deal with the situation; (2) he uses the environment, traps, etc. to gain and use advantages; (3) he overcomes the odds and wins, not just through luck and happenstance, but because he uses 1 and 2 in ways that don't require an unacceptable suspension of belief; and (4) we are given enough about the characters to understand their motivations and to make us want to root for Rambo. 

None of that happens in The Book of Boba Fett.  He and his way-too-small of a crew are put into ridiculous situations, are constantly outmaneuvered by the bad buys, don't have any sort of a plan, and still win because...well, just because.  We don't get anything remotely resembling the above, and that is why, despite being fun, action-packed eye candy and fan service, the last episode (and the series as a whole) falls so flat for me.  And it was fun.  And the fan service was fine--I can overcome the eyerolls and just roll with it if there is a good payoff.  It just lacked any sort of believability and ethos that could enable me to suspend enough belief, and lack of credible basis to suspend enough belief, to ultimately be satisfying.  Even for a show whose goal of defining "satisfying" merely as, "hey, that was really fun." 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 09:57:51 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #293 on: February 11, 2022, 09:48:28 AM »
That's basically how I feel about Fett and his reign as boss of Mos Something (I don't even remember which town it was).  Scaling was way off, from the beginning to the end.

Online HOF

« Reply #294 on: February 11, 2022, 07:47:40 PM »

Agree on all accounts

Well, a lot of it is.  But I think it misses the mark in its conclusion when it says, "But like midichlorians or Solo, the series is more proof that attempting to explain everything in Star Wars takes away a bit of the magic that made it so cool in the first place. Sometimes, less is more — but in a world where the entire Disney Plus streaming service hinges on new Star Wars shows, it’s likely that “more” is all we’ll get of these characters." 

Honestly, that isn't really the main problem here.  Yeah, we didn't really need a Boba Fett backstory.  I guess I don't really disagree with that.  But I'm not disappointed that they tried to give us one.  I'm just disappointed that it was executed so poorly.  As with other Star Wars "fails," the bones of a really good story are here.  They just made a mess of it. 

One other issue that I'll mention that hasn't been expressly pointed out:  The scale of the conflict was off.  I had this same complaint for Thor: Ragnarok when we get to see that the "realm" of Asgard is actually more the size of a town with a relatively small population.  The scale problem in this show was different.  Mos Espa and Tatooine as a whole were actually fine.  But then we get the seemingly massive Pyke syndicate, plus Cad Bane, plus a couple of scorpion droids vs. Boba Fett and a dozen or so companions of widely varying levels of competence.  This is such an imbalanced fight.  It was basically that even much earlier in the show when it is Fett, Agent May, and 2 Gammorians telling an entire town that they are now in charge.  That isn't even remotely how things work.  He needed to have rallied some kind of army or group of thugs behind him to provide some sort of reasonable threat to those that would challenge him coming in and declaring himself in charge. 

On top of that, in the final episode, while it could have been a cool underdog story, it didn't come across that way.  Here's an example of a good underdog story that, despite completely one-sided odds, makes you believe the otherwise unbelievable outcome:  John Rambo vs. Sheriff Teasle (and the entire Sheriff's Department of Hope, WA), plus surrounding police/sheriff's departments, plus a local citizen's militia, plus the National Guard.  You all know the story, so I won't bore you by repeating the details.  But it works and we believe it and we root for the underdog because:  (1) we learn that there is a lot more to his character than meets the eye, and he actually has training and skills to deal with the situation; (2) he uses the environment, traps, etc. to gain and use advantages; (3) he overcomes the odds and wins, not just through luck and happenstance, but because he uses 1 and 2 in ways that don't require an unacceptable suspension of belief; and (4) we are given enough about the characters to understand their motivations and to make us want to root for Rambo. 

None of that happens in The Book of Boba Fett.  He and his way-too-small of a crew are put into ridiculous situations, are constantly outmaneuvered by the bad buys, don't have any sort of a plan, and still win because...well, just because.  We don't get anything remotely resembling the above, and that is why, despite being fun, action-packed eye candy and fan service, the last episode (and the series as a whole) falls so flat for me.  And it was fun.  And the fan service was fine--I can overcome the eyerolls and just roll with it if there is a good payoff.  It just lacked any sort of believability and ethos that could enable me to suspend enough belief, and lack of credible basis to suspend enough belief, to ultimately be satisfying.  Even for a show whose goal of defining "satisfying" merely as, "hey, that was really fun."

Yes to all of this. My wife and I were laughing at the whole set up of this episode. “We have every angle covered!” You have 6 people scattered across what looks like a city of 100s of thousands, maybe millions, and you’re hoping a few settlers will show up as reinforcements. And you’re going to leave your best tactical weapon (Boba’s ship) completely on the sidelines. Then you’re gonna sit tight in a bombed out bar and, what? What was the expectation there? Why did the Pike even bother attacking them? What did they have to gain? Just keep running your spice in some other part of Tatooine where Boba can’t get to you. It’s a big planet! Also, where are they running the spice to? What is spice? Why do we care that they are trucking it through the desert on floating trains?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #295 on: February 12, 2022, 09:49:05 AM »
+1 to everything Bosk said. Very well put.

At the end of the day, I did enjoy it, but I felt a bit unsatisfied because there were points where I felt it could have been so much better.

Ya, I literally eyerolled at “the twirl”. Who thought that was a good idea?

And am I just slow? Or was the ending song always saying “boba boba boba FETT!!” On previous episodes we always thought it sounded like random vocalizations. But at the end of this episode it suddenly became really obvious that they were saying Boba Fett‘s name!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #296 on: February 12, 2022, 10:01:38 AM »
The problem here, IMHO, it's... Boba was just a flat secondary character that people liked just because everybody imagined a huge, fantastic background story behind him, and now they're receiveing nothing of it but witnessing the ageing Boba, who barely survived the Sarlacc and the Tuskens, and (as Cad Bane well said) got soft and slow. So nothing people expected is being delivered (there're comics about those years). Plus, don't forget it's a show lead by elderly actors: Temuera: 61, Ming-Na: 58, David: 61, Jennifer: 58...

I think this show (plus Mando and Ahsoka) were meant to merge the classic trilogy with the last one to make sense. It won't surprise me if C-3PO appears in season 2 (Boba said he need a protocol droid) and we saw R2 alone. I'm sure Han and Leia wil appear delivering Threepio (someway) and maybe Krrsantan will tear off his arm, explaining the red one he used in Ep7.

Just an idea.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline jammindude

« Reply #297 on: February 12, 2022, 10:03:34 AM »
The ideas are so perfectly obvious that it seems like exactly the kind of thing they will do.

:lol
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online HOF

« Reply #298 on: February 12, 2022, 10:33:36 AM »

And am I just slow? Or was the ending song always saying “boba boba boba FETT!!” On previous episodes we always thought it sounded like random vocalizations. But at the end of this episode it suddenly became really obvious that they were saying Boba Fett‘s name!

We noticed that for the first time last night too, so hopefully that means it was just for this episode!

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #299 on: February 12, 2022, 06:53:51 PM »

We noticed that for the first time last night too, so hopefully that means it was just for this episode!

Always turned it off once the vocals started, they sounded ridiculous to me. Eye roll worthy.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #300 on: February 13, 2022, 02:31:53 AM »
I just hope we can get something that feels entirely fresh and separate from the things we know. We're almost a decade into Disney-Star Wars and they have been pumping out movies and tv-shows and everything is just so tapped into nostalgia. When I was a kid, part of what got me into Star Wars was the feeling that the universe was so huge and you could do anything with it going forward, but it turns out it's actually incredibly small and every story has to focus on a small set of characters where you'll get a connection to one of the original trilogy characters, or you keep seeing the same few planets appearing all the time.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #301 on: February 13, 2022, 09:01:28 AM »
I just hope we can get something that feels entirely fresh and separate from the things we know. We're almost a decade into Disney-Star Wars and they have been pumping out movies and tv-shows and everything is just so tapped into nostalgia. When I was a kid, part of what got me into Star Wars was the feeling that the universe was so huge and you could do anything with it going forward, but it turns out it's actually incredibly small and every story has to focus on a small set of characters where you'll get a connection to one of the original trilogy characters, or you keep seeing the same few planets appearing all the time.

Couldn't agree more.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: February 13, 2022, 10:34:56 AM »

Couldn't agree more.

Yeah but you know full well if they start pumping out ‘new’ content that the SW ‘fans’ will bitch about it not being real SW and they’ll lament that there is no tie into the OT and ‘real’ SW. there will always be a sect of folks complaining about it.

Honestly, the Ahsoka series has the best shot at ‘new’ material given what we know about the plot so far. While it’s tied to the Rebels series there shouldn’t be a whole lot of OT characters show up and should be a fresh story.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #303 on: February 13, 2022, 11:40:47 AM »

Couldn't agree more.

Yeah but you know full well if they start pumping out ‘new’ content that the SW ‘fans’ will bitch about it not being real SW and they’ll lament that there is no tie into the OT and ‘real’ SW. there will always be a sect of folks complaining about it.

Honestly, the Ahsoka series has the best shot at ‘new’ material given what we know about the plot so far. While it’s tied to the Rebels series there shouldn’t be a whole lot of OT characters show up and should be a fresh story.

I hope so.. They really need to start poking their heads out of the OT bubble. Mando had done that for a while, but they just kept having to pull back in.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #304 on: February 13, 2022, 11:59:14 AM »
I would say even Ahsoka but also the new Obi-Wan show, even if tapping more into the prequel trilogy and Clone Wars than the OT, are still very much relying on characters we know and like, set in an era where you can introduce other characters people know, or have other breadcrumbs to "this will set up XYZ".

For me it would be cool to just make a Star Wars trilogy (or show) set either thousands of years before our current timeline or a thousands of years into the future. That way you could come up with very different looking ships, armor, have a very different political climate in the galaxy and you can also make something entirely original without any baggage that comes from our current timeline. (Questions such as where is this character? What happened with XYZ?) You can still have jedi, you can still have sith but you can have a very different setting to present these stories in.

I actually thought it was a missed opportunity in the Disney trilogy not to do something different with the political climate. They almost hit the reset button right away with the bad guys becoming the overpowering threat and our good guy rebels being a small force of good trying to restore order. Could have been cool with a switch where the mighty evil empire were outnumbered by a big republic force. Or how about making a story from the perspective of someone in the empire? Unless you are Palpatine or Snoke at the top, and you're just part of the empire, you probably don't consider yourself to be a bad guy. Could be interesting with a story featuring someone from the empire being our protagonist and portraying the rebels/republic as the enemy force. Even if it's just for a one-off show.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: February 13, 2022, 12:15:35 PM »
A movie / trilogy about a Sith homeworld/society where a few Sith start to turn to the light side. That could be neat.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: February 14, 2022, 08:58:05 AM »

Always turned it off once the vocals started, they sounded ridiculous to me. Eye roll worthy.

LOL after every episode I would start humming the "boba" in the song to piss her off, but it wasnt until the final episode that I realized the chants were actually Boba Fett  :rollin we were both cracking up so hard when we realized that.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #307 on: February 15, 2022, 08:26:57 AM »
A movie / trilogy about a Sith homeworld/society where a few Sith start to turn to the light side. That could be neat.
A Disney + show where the protagonist is a Sith, and everything is reversed.  The mission is against Jedi/goodness.  And the mission is successful.  The Sith win.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: February 15, 2022, 08:58:00 AM »
A Disney + show where the protagonist is a Sith, and everything is reversed.  The mission is against Jedi/goodness.  And the mission is successful.  The Sith win.

I’d be good with that. For them to have flourished for so long the Jedi would have had to take a good beating or two along the way.

You have shows like Breaking Bad and Dexter that found a way to make you ‘root for’ and like horrible people…..it could be done with a charismatic Sith Lord as well.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: February 15, 2022, 05:13:20 PM »

I’d be good with that. For them to have flourished for so long the Jedi would have had to take a good beating or two along the way.

You have shows like Breaking Bad and Dexter that found a way to make you ‘root for’ and like horrible people…..it could be done with a charismatic Sith Lord as well.

Damned straight. I read a Darth Maul book a long time ago, and loved it/him.

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #310 on: February 15, 2022, 07:09:17 PM »
Wasn't that the plot of the Battlefront video games?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #311 on: February 15, 2022, 08:25:53 PM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #312 on: February 16, 2022, 09:49:01 AM »
I have no idea.  I don't play video games.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: February 16, 2022, 10:14:02 AM »

Same....but, it sounds cool.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: February 16, 2022, 10:28:19 AM »

Same....but, it sounds cool.

That's too bad, Gary. I think you'd get a charge out of the plot/story of Jedi Fallen Order. It was really fun to play, but the characters were really well done. In particular, I think you'd have liked Trilla Suduri, 2nd Sister of the Inquisitors. A villian with very believable motivations (justified?) and seriously scary power.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens