Author Topic: The Book Of BobaLorianGrogu - That's a Wrap Folks....  (Read 23281 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The Book Of Boba - Episode 3 Out Now!!
« Reply #210 on: February 03, 2022, 05:10:40 AM »
The de-aging looked fantastic ... until he spoke.  They still haven't quite fully mastered the lips and facial movements for speech yet (imo).  The AI for Hamill's voice is absolutely impeccable though.  I thought it was an excellent episode, but again ... can't help be feel I just wanted Mando S3E2.  jingle.son mentioned the exact same thing Marc has - just having (all) the series' be "Star Wars", and weave different storylines and characters throughout it.  Guess you guys follow the same discussions on the interwebz  :D.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #211 on: February 03, 2022, 05:24:00 AM »
Another entertaining episode of The Mandalorian. The cameo from Boba Fett makes me feel there's a story to tell there, though, perhaps in his own show?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #212 on: February 03, 2022, 06:59:06 AM »
Another entertaining episode of The Mandalorian. The cameo from Boba Fett makes me feel there's a story to tell there, though, perhaps in his own show?
:lol

Another good episode.  Great to see Luke again, and the CGI was definitely much better this time.

Nice to see Dave Filoni continue his "Don't tell me it's JUST a cartoon!" crusade.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #213 on: February 03, 2022, 07:09:50 AM »
I'm really thinking that show would have been better if it was just season 3 of the Mandalorian. Expand on Din's role (easy enough to add a few bounty hunting side stories) and reduce Boba'a to get rid of the most boring parts. I think it could have been a better show that was. But I'm still enjoying this for what it is.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #214 on: February 03, 2022, 08:04:20 AM »
The thread title is getting a little out of date.

Also, did someone say that there are only seven episodes?  I guess I was assuming there would be eight, as with The Mandalorian.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #215 on: February 03, 2022, 08:07:11 AM »

Also, did someone say that there are only seven episodes?  I guess I was assuming there would be eight, as with The Mandalorian.

As far as I have heard, there are only seven episodes, so next week will be the finale. And yeah, the thread title will be a month old soon! Has lonestar just not come back here since episode 3?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #216 on: February 03, 2022, 08:27:56 AM »
Glad people liked it, but personally, it just felt like an unorganized mess to me.  And the entire sequence with Luke and Grogu came across as Luke (and Asoka, to a lesser degree) spouting random Star Wars themed platitudes that don't actually mean anything.  It almost felt like the creators suddenly realized they are at episode 6 of a series that isn't going anywhere, and started to panic and just threw in as much fan service as they could without it actually meaning anything important.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #217 on: February 03, 2022, 08:48:02 AM »
Glad people liked it, but personally, it just felt like an unorganized mess to me.  And the entire sequence with Luke and Grogu came across as Luke (and Asoka, to a lesser degree) spouting random Star Wars themed platitudes that don't actually mean anything.  It almost felt like the creators suddenly realized they are at episode 6 of a series that isn't going anywhere, and started to panic and just threw in as much fan service as they could without it actually meaning anything important.

I can see your point. BUT...I think the Grogu and Luke scenes were set up for Grogu to have an out as a student and wouldn't be surprised if he chooses to go with the Mandalorian and just wings it as a Jedi-light which would then allow them to include Grogu in S3.

As a side note I was pretty pleased with how Dawson and Filoni are honing Ahsoka's character. They threw in several mannerisms that mimicked the animated show...specifically posture and the way she carries herself and her speech patterns/sound seemed spot on as well.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #218 on: February 03, 2022, 09:10:15 AM »

As far as I have heard, there are only seven episodes, so next week will be the finale. And yeah, the thread title will be a month old soon! Has lonestar just not come back here since episode 3?

-Marc.

Fix'd....my bad...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #219 on: February 03, 2022, 09:12:36 AM »

I can see your point. BUT...I think the Grogu and Luke scenes were set up for Grogu to have an out as a student and wouldn't be surprised if he chooses to go with the Mandalorian and just wings it as a Jedi-light which would then allow them to include Grogu in S3.

No, I completely get why it was there.  I have no issue with that.  What I take issue with is the execution of it.  The dialog was terrible.  The pacing was terrible.  It's like there was zero attempt at writing other than, "let's distract them with old-school character nostalgia, Grogu doing cute things, and everybody just saying random things that just sound really Star Wars-y." 

I hate to make this complaint, because I've railed so hard against it in the past, but:  Instead of feeling like I was watching Star Wars, I felt like the Disney Corporation was trying to sell me something hollow and empty that looks and sounds like a pretty, shiny version of Star Wars. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: February 03, 2022, 09:16:59 AM »
No, I completely get why it was there.  I have no issue with that.  What I take issue with is the execution of it.  The dialog was terrible. The pacing was terrible.  It's like there was zero attempt at writing other than, "let's distract them with old-school character nostalgia, Grogu doing cute things, and everybody just saying random things that just sound really Star Wars-y."

concerning that....do you think the dialog....specifically with Luke....is hindered by and catered to the de-aging/CGI? It seems that while the 'look' has significantly improved the dialog was pretty simple and I can't help but think it's due to the amount of effects needed to pull the look off.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The Book Of BobaLorianGrogu - Episode 6 Out Now....
« Reply #221 on: February 03, 2022, 09:22:18 AM »
Not sure.  But if that was the issue, I would hope and expect that there would have been decisions along the lines of, "We are limited by the technology, so Luke's dialog really needs to be pretty sparing.  So let's make sure it is really tight so he can say meaningful stuff in just a few words."  Instead, it was just a mess of gobbledegook.  Like I said, it was just meaningless platitudes using Star Wars-y language.  For the most part, same with Asoka. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: February 03, 2022, 09:27:34 AM »
For the most part, same with Asoka.

Was really hoping for a longer-deeper conversation between the two concerning Anakin. Unless they have something planned like that for her series.....that was a huge miss. But, I can't imagine that Filoni would allow that to be a miss. I'd bet that conversation is something that happens.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #223 on: February 03, 2022, 11:01:53 AM »

Was really hoping for a longer-deeper conversation between the two concerning Anakin. Unless they have something planned like that for her series.....that was a huge miss. But, I can't imagine that Filoni would allow that to be a miss. I'd bet that conversation is something that happens.

I think at this point, we can expect to see Luke in the Ahsoka series, at least for one episode. Filoni has to know that fans want it, so I'm sure it'll happen at some point.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: February 03, 2022, 11:05:11 AM »

I think at this point, we can expect to see Luke in the Ahsoka series, at least for one episode. Filoni has to know that fans want it, so I'm sure it'll happen at some point.

-Marc.

Yeah the fans want it but I would also think that it's pretty important to just the overall story and character of Luke. He has this massive resource in Ahsoka who spent years with his Father and could provide him with great insight as to what kind of person he was. It would just make sense to do that for the character as well as the fans.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #225 on: February 03, 2022, 01:03:29 PM »

-Marc.

Fix'd....my bad...

No problem, I just hope the new title isn't a huge spoiler for anyone who hasn't been keeping up with the show and just happens to browse this subforum and notice it.

-Marc.

Yeah the fans want it but I would also think that it's pretty important to just the overall story and character of Luke. He has this massive resource in Ahsoka who spent years with his Father and could provide him with great insight as to what kind of person he was. It would just make sense to do that for the character as well as the fans.

I agree, Luke would need to feel important to the story of Ahsoka and not the other way around unless they were to give Luke his own "Jedi Academy" spin-off at some point.

-Marc.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #226 on: February 03, 2022, 01:55:54 PM »
Guys... I think everyone is overlooking the biggest problem with this episode.

No more Jennifer Beals.   >:(
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #227 on: February 03, 2022, 02:48:01 PM »
That is indeed a bummer.  Cobb Vanth I can see surviving, since he was only shot once and was still alive as they were yelling for help.  That explosion at Garsa's place looked like a "no survivors" kinda of scenario.  But we didn't actually see her die either, so...

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #228 on: February 03, 2022, 02:51:16 PM »
I would laugh if everyone else died except Max Rebo. He was able to survive the crashing/exploding of Jabba's sail barge, so he may have found a way out of Garsa's establishment!

-Marc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #229 on: February 03, 2022, 03:10:50 PM »
I would laugh if everyone else died except Max Rebo. He was able to survive the crashing/exploding of Jabba's sail barge, so he may have found a way out of Garsa's establishment!

-Marc.

Well, his species is made of a nearly indestructible living organic polymer, so I wouldn't be surprised. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: February 04, 2022, 09:12:15 AM »
Caught up last night and yeah....

this show would be so much better if it just stuck to Boba's story.  The last two episodes being basically the Mandalorian really hurt this show IMO.  The last episode with Luke had sooo much potential, but it was very cringe to me.  Poorly executed.  The whole concept of reversing roles with Luke now training Baby Yoda (and using the same phrases from Episode 5) has SO much potential, but it just felt thrown in for the fans.  I thought Hamill was TERRIBLE. I thought the forced decision at the end was a bit odd as well. And this was after I was starting to really sink my teeth into Boba's story.  They can end the season on a high note and that'll be cool, but this show being exactly like the Mandalorian really hurts it IMO.  It's not even that it's bad, it's just literally the same show.  Even the early episodes had the same flow and storytelling that the early episodes of the Mandalorian had.  Which I guess makes some sense given the same people behind the scenes, but still, they needed to do something to make this show stand on it's own and they just failed IMO.  The best scenes were the ones dealing with Boba IMO.

Oh and the half episode of building the new ship was a huge yawn.  That could have been a 1 minute montage instead of 20 minutes of listening to the annoying lady yap :lol

The new bad guy is pretty bad ass though, I want to see more of what's going on with him and his people.  I guess they are setting up for next season though.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #231 on: February 04, 2022, 10:29:46 AM »
I agree with a lot of what Bosk said, though not necessarily to such a degree.

The writers DO seem to be focusing more on pleasing fans than writing coherent logical stories. I have no idea why MOST of this episode was happening other than to make sure they can eventually do X Y Z in other shows or at the end of this show. That's not good writing though, that's just lazy writing. As cool as it was to see Luke and R2 and stuff, and it WAS cool, I am not sure why it was there other than to please the fans and set up other stuff.

I disagree with Cram that the Boba is the most captivating part of the show. I think there's a reason people are praising the last 2 episodes and not the first 4. I was mostly enjoying the show but it just didn't feel like it was going anywhere or doing anything. It felt like B sides to a Mando show that weren't good enough for that show. I dunno.

It's a mess a of a show for sure. Though I like the idea mentioned about just making a "Star Wars the Show" and doing whatever they want within it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #232 on: February 04, 2022, 11:34:11 AM »
I was mostly enjoying the show but it just didn't feel like it was going anywhere or doing anything.
Like the pipes on Star Trek shows.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #233 on: February 04, 2022, 12:00:33 PM »
I disagree with Cram that the Boba is the most captivating part of the show. I think there's a reason people are praising the last 2 episodes and not the first 4. I was mostly enjoying the show but it just didn't feel like it was going anywhere or doing anything. It felt like B sides to a Mando show that weren't good enough for that show. I dunno.

Along those lines, let me say this:  I found myself wandering in and out of caring for most of the first 4 episodes.  But things in Boba's story, for what little we got, finally seemed to be coming to a head toward the end of that, and in the little bits we got in this last episode, including the parts with the Pikes and Cad Bane in "Freetown."  That, to me, is interesting.  And here's the thing about that.  Much like my opinions on the prequel trilogy, I feel like the bones for a really good story are there, but that that really good story was buried under (1)  a lot of meandering around issues that simply don't make for a good story at all for one reason or another, and (2) some writing that feels severely underdeveloped (I hate saying "bad writing," but feel free to substitute that if it suits you).  I feel like that is exactly what is going on here.  Because of those little snippets in this last episode, I am starting to get more interested in Boba's story.  But so much time has been wasted on issues 1 and 2 that what could be a really good story is just wasted on the major distractions of all these side issues and...less than good storytelling.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: February 04, 2022, 12:06:31 PM »
I disagree with Cram that the Boba is the most captivating part of the show. I think there's a reason people are praising the last 2 episodes and not the first 4.

I should clarify that Boba himself is not entirely captivating but after the 4 episodes, his story seemed to finally be going somewhere that was interesting.  Basically similar to what bosk just stated as well. 

As for the praise, I think it's fairly obvious people enjoy Mando, Baby Yoda, and all the call backs to the movies that the last two episodes brought.  And it's not like I don't enjoy those either, it just didn't seem well done and kind of forced. 

I do wonder how this impacts the next season of the Mandalorian though, like what if you didn't watch the Boba show? I know a few friends who all watch Mando but haven't watched Boba.  I told them they might want to if they want to watch the next season, but maybe they write this in a way that you don't need to have seen the Boba show?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: February 04, 2022, 12:44:39 PM »
Cad Bane in "Freetown."

Which.....this is huge considering the history between Cad Bane and Boba Fett. For those that haven't watched any of the animated stuff they'd never know the history between Bane and Boba and that Bane took in a younger Boba and taught him the ways of a being bounty hunter and mercenary. Or that Finnec Shand has a history with Bane as she spoiled his bounty on Omega in 'The Bad Batch'.

I was pretty stoked to see Cad Bane as he was/is one of the more interesting and well developed characters from the animated shows.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: February 04, 2022, 12:51:01 PM »
Cad Bane in "Freetown."

Which.....this is huge considering the history between Cad Bane and Boba Fett. For those that haven't watched any of the animated stuff they'd never know the history between Bane and Boba and that Bane took in a younger Boba and taught him the ways of a being bounty hunter and mercenary. Or that Finnec Shand has a history with Bane as she spoiled his bounty on Omega in 'The Bad Batch'.

I was pretty stoked to see Cad Bane as he was/is one of the more interesting and well developed characters from the animated shows.

My gf was really enjoying the references to the Clone Wars and those characters.  I didn't get any of it, but Cad Bane seems like an awesome bad guy. 

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #237 on: February 04, 2022, 12:51:48 PM »
As soon as they did the reveal of the dude's face I was like "That is....probably someone important from the animated shows" but had no clue who it was.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #238 on: February 04, 2022, 02:23:03 PM »
As soon as they did the reveal of the dude's face I was like "That is....probably someone important from the animated shows" but had no clue who it was.

Same lol...way to dramatic a build up for some random schmoe

Offline HOF

« Reply #239 on: February 05, 2022, 11:31:59 AM »
So Jennifer Beal is dead and I still don’t know who she is or why people were excited that she was in the show for a few seconds every couple weeks.

Seems like the last two episodes were drawing a parallel between the Mandalorian code and the Jedi code. My guess is Grogu chooses the armor and is spared from getting wiped out with all the other members of Luke’s Jedi school. He’ll train with Ahsoka instead and be part of the new waive of Jedi post-Episode 9.

I agree all the scenes with Luke were ham handed, but I also could not tell if he was CGI or a look alike, so props there.

Is there a less anticipated showdown than the coming showdown between Boba Fett and the dozen people he’s cobbled together to fight the Pike? No idea how they are going to wrap this series half way satisfactorily in one more episode. Maybe Boba Fett and his crew get wiped out, thus ending the Book of Boba Fett. It’s a really weird show without any real character development for Boba Fett or any reason to be interested in him prevailing in whatever is coming next.

Offline HOF

« Reply #240 on: February 05, 2022, 11:42:47 AM »
Just saw this article that describes how they did the CGI Luke. His voice was also generated by a computer program based on old Hamil audio clips, which might explain why his dialogue was so awkward.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a38971109/cgi-luke-skywalker-mandalorian-book-of-boba-fett/

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #241 on: February 05, 2022, 04:37:08 PM »
Where does the Mandalorian take a dump now with that dumb ship of his?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #242 on: February 05, 2022, 10:21:19 PM »
So Jennifer Beal is dead and I still don’t know who she is or why people were excited that she was in the show for a few seconds every couple weeks.

I'm thinking it was because Jennifer was super hot like 40 years ago, and somehow still looks pretty damed hot now, and that blew a lot of... minds.  So we all thought, or at least hoped, that she would be this really cool, badass character.  Instead, she was just kinda there, never really did anything, and now she's gone.  So you're right; it turns out that caring about her was a waste of time.  It's just such a damned shame because here she is still really hot after all this time.

I would let her clean my helmet, though, if you know what I mean.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #243 on: February 07, 2022, 07:26:45 AM »
Cad Bane in "Freetown."

This all the way. Cad Bane is a total badass. Now we just need Thrawn...

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #244 on: February 07, 2022, 08:10:04 AM »
Cad Bane in "Freetown."

This all the way. Cad Bane is a total badass. Now we just need Thrawn...
He'll hold off until the Ahsoka show, I'm guessing. I think we'll see a major character cameo in the finale though. Ki'ra perhaps?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 09:06:04 AM by lordxizor »