Author Topic: Happy Holidays from Dream Theater - O Holy Night  (Read 1901 times)

Offline The Letter M

Happy Holidays from Dream Theater - O Holy Night
« on: December 24, 2021, 06:43:23 PM »
https://youtu.be/RMgFEYliN98

The band just shared this across social media.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gzarruk

Re: Happy Holidays from Dream Theater - O Holy Night
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 06:55:44 PM »
This is the version from their '96 fan club release, but recorded in '93. Wish they made it available to buy from Bandcamp (like The Holiday Spirit Carries On last year) or at least uploaded it to streaming platforms. Maybe tomorrow at 6:00 am? ;)

Also, I desperately need a full DT Christmas album :hefdaddy. So far, my go-to Prog Christmas album is the one from Neal Morse (A Proggy Christmas).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 07:45:16 PM »
I saw this and just now saw what it is...

Happy Holidays indeed. I like how we have an official release of this and it sounds great.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2021, 08:12:33 PM »
Cool, thank you DT and for M for posting here, since otherwise people like TAC and I wouldn't have ever seen this.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2021, 08:26:09 PM »
So many people in the youtube comments think this is a new recording.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2021, 08:34:48 PM »
So many people in the youtube comments think this is a new recording.

And that's because there's absolutely no info about the recording on the video description/social media posts, sadly. Still cool they officially uploaded this, though.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2021, 08:49:52 PM »
I consider DT my favorite band and all I knew is that they released a recording of this song on a fan club CD, but nothing beyond that. I wonder if I've ever even heard this before now.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2021, 09:15:54 PM »
Cool, thank you DT and for M for posting here, since otherwise people like TAC and I wouldn't have ever seen this.

:lol :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2021, 10:36:45 PM »
I'm guessing there are some folks here who may have never seen this one either, courtesy of Rhode Island Public Access TV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY9ZjDsWn-U

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2021, 11:08:33 PM »
Beautiful, almost Images and Wordish... and what a blessing LaBrie still is.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2021, 08:21:02 AM »

I definitely agree, but this is a recording from 1993, not a current one.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2021, 09:05:38 AM »
I'm guessing there are some folks here who may have never seen this one either, courtesy of Rhode Island Public Access TV:

I actually watched that live. I was recording the audio on my stereo and the video on my VCR.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Dream Team

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2021, 11:30:08 AM »

I definitely agree, but this is a recording from 1993, not a current one.

Which was already mentioned above as well . . . makes me wonder if people often don’t read threads, even one page’s worth?

Offline HOF

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2021, 02:09:48 PM »

I actually watched that live. I was recording the audio on my stereo and the video on my VCR.

Those hosts were cracking me up! I wonder how they got James and John to show up for it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2021, 06:42:04 PM »

Those hosts were cracking me up! I wonder how they got James and John to show up for it.

That's Paul & Al, and yes, they are hilarious. They are still do mornings on WHJY in Providence. They've been there almost 35 years.

The other WHJY DT connection is that their heavy metal DJ, Dr. Metal, is thanked in the I&W liner notes. Sadly he was killed in The Station Nightclub Fire.

Forgot to mention that I also saw DT do Oh Holy Night in Boston on 12-16-92. Gonna listen to that now, I think.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2021, 06:42:35 PM »
Also, I desperately need a full DT Christmas album :hefdaddy.

Yes!!

Online geeeemo

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2021, 07:03:24 PM »
Also, I desperately need a full DT Christmas album :hefdaddy.

Yes!!

It would be the best!

Offline HOF

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2021, 08:51:19 PM »

That's Paul & Al, and yes, they are hilarious. They are still do mornings on WHJY in Providence. They've been there almost 35 years.

The other WHJY DT connection is that their heavy metal DJ, Dr. Metal, is thanked in the I&W liner notes. Sadly he was killed in The Station Nightclub Fire.

Forgot to mention that I also saw DT do Oh Holy Night in Boston on 12-16-92. Gonna listen to that now, I think.

That's awful about Dr. Metal. Makes sense that they had some connection to the station.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2021, 01:19:30 AM »

James' sweater says "Ich bin taub ich will Krach", which is German and roughly translates to "I am deaf I want noise"  :lol
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2021, 08:12:10 AM »
Which was already mentioned above as well . . . makes me wonder if people often don’t read threads, even one page’s worth?

Because?

'Cause when I feel LaBrie is still a blessing, it's obvious I didn't red the thread, nor knew it's from '93? Nor red the posts before? Pretty fast judgement, Christmas-unworhty, almost.

I mentioned it's almost Images & Wordish right? Almost, because it was released a year after. I admit immediate I wouldn't have known if I didn't red it in the thread, before I posted mine.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...