Author Topic: Dr Strange in The Multiverse of Madness --- SPOILERS ALLOWED ---  (Read 19205 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Doctor Strange in The Multiverse of Madness - NO SPOILERS…yet
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2022, 07:19:14 PM »
In the theater now :caffeine:

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2022, 07:23:27 PM »
Caught my 3:10pm showing earlier today, been home for roughly 3.5-4.0 hours now and I'm still processing a lot of the film. There's so many little easter eggs and nuggets of things I loved, and the breakneck pace really kept my attention and had me pretty much the whole time. I can't say it's my all-time favorite, but the direction by Raimi and the absolutely stellar score by Elfman really helped put the film together in a way that seemed perfect for what it was. A solid 9/10 for me, definitely in the upper echelon of MCU films, but this comes from a die-hard MCU fan and a fan of Marvel Comics in general, so I could be a little biased.

I think if you are dialed in to much of the MCU and know a lot about it, you might find a lot to like about this film, but if you're fairly casual and don't often watch/rewatch the films/shows, you might find yourself a little lost at times. The film doesn't fully rely on prior knowledge, but rewards fans who have invested time in things like WandaVision and paying close attention to Strange's prior appearances in the MCU.

The mid-credits scene did confuse me, admittedly, but after a bit of Googling, I am surprised at what they've introduced with that scene, and it excites me for what's to come for Doctor Strange.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2022, 07:33:13 PM »
I hate this stupid Internet culture where everyone feels it is their duty to be first to break the scoop.  Already, there are tons of spoilers out there in the most seemingly-innocuous places.  Luckily, I haven't seen anything spoilery--yet--but have come close.  Sucks that I have to actively avoid the Internet just to keep having a movie that isn't even out yet spoiled until I can see it later this weekend.

Shit bitch, I'm not gonna be able to see it until Wednesday or Thursday next week (between COVID and jingle.son's work schedule, we just ain't makin it out).  Maybe not even until NEXT Sunday.  Guess I won't be going on YT or Facebook for a week.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2022, 07:40:17 PM »
I'll FaceTime with you at the theater Chad. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2022, 08:19:02 PM »
Just got home.

And I can confirm that Benedict Cumberbatch IS in the movie. But I won't tell you who he's playing.

All in all it was....very good. Not great. Top half of MCU, but not top 3rd I don't think. It's a real shame cause it COULD have been good if they just focused a little more on the emotional journey. It was just so fast thing to thing that even when REALLY cool things happened, it was hard to have much of an emotional connection of any sort cause of just how fast it all went down. Wanda was fantastic and really the only character to get a proper arc. I will type more when we can discuss spoilers. But yea, very good, fantastic stuff in a lot of ways, but also let down and disappointing in other ways.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2022, 09:50:09 PM »
Between credit scenes now... Man that was a fun time. Just breakneck speed.

Not sure where it'll rank for me, but definitely in the top 3rd.

Wanda was definitely the star though, no doubt about it.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2022, 10:40:58 PM »
There are some things about Wanda that I can nitpick about but man WHAT A FILM. It exceeded my expectations. So many "WTF" moments in all the best ways. My theater went crazy at several big reveals or references or jokes. I'm going back to see this a couple more times. That was fun from start to finish. So cool to see them still pulling off surprises and new things.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2022, 11:21:33 PM »
Yes/no answers only…no spoilers.

Is the breaking down of the timeline at the end of the Loki TV series directly relevant to this movie?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2022, 01:07:05 AM »
Just got home.

And I can confirm that Benedict Cumberbatch IS in the movie. But I won't tell you who he's playing.

Sherlock?

Quick question, without giving spoilers.  How important is it to have watched the Marvel Shows before seeing this movie?  Gotta friend whose watched most of the Movies but none of the shows, and he's worried he'll be missing out.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2022, 04:53:49 AM »
Just got home.

Sherlock?

Quick question, without giving spoilers.  How important is it to have watched the Marvel Shows before seeing this movie?  Gotta friend whose watched most of the Movies but none of the shows, and he's worried he'll be missing out.

Wandavision is necessary, that's about it.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2022, 05:41:11 AM »
Yes/no answers only…no spoilers.

Is the breaking down of the timeline at the end of the Loki TV series directly relevant to this movie?

Not really, no.

Offline Adami

« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2022, 11:08:10 AM »
Looking back at it, other than wanting the movie to slow down and develop the character arcs better, I think there's two major elements that have left me disappointed. Once we start discussing spoilers, I can go into it, but yea....I think those things are bugging me a bit. Maybe it would be better on the 2nd time around, since I will know it's happening first.

Though I will say, it had the best 5 second musical cue ever.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2022, 11:20:32 AM »
Looking back at it, other than wanting the movie to slow down and develop the character arcs better, I think there's two major elements that have left me disappointed. Once we start discussing spoilers, I can go into it, but yea....I think those things are bugging me a bit. Maybe it would be better on the 2nd time around, since I will know it's happening first.

I think I know the exact musical cue...

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2022, 02:11:17 PM »

I think I know the exact musical cue...

The one in the 2nd act? Oh yes, that one had me super excited. Elfman really knew what he was doing with the score! The musical cue/reference near the beginning was really nice as well!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2022, 08:32:31 PM »
Lizzie’s been on the talk show circuit promoting the movie. Those eyes and that smile . . . bangin. Glad she’s getting so many rave reviews.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2022, 12:39:14 PM »
I thought the movie was fine, but there were a few things that bugged me. I'll wait until we can talk about it freely.

Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2022, 03:45:59 PM »
Just got home.

Sherlock?

Wandavision is necessary, that's about it.

That covers it. Loki is not needed but I would call WandaVision required. Can't really see how it would make sense to anybody without the context of that show.

Loved the film. I just love the whole tone of sarcasm that goes along with it. Just makes me really enjoy the characters.

I saw that Benedict Wong was having to shut down 'fans' who are dumping all over the actress who plays America. Don't really get it, I thought she was fantastic in the role.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Melphina

« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2022, 11:56:36 AM »
Spoilers, piggybacking off the recent posts:

I don't really have many gripes with this movie but that could be newness bias and favorite bias as I love Dr. Strange. However..  I think they beat the horse into the ground with respect to Wanda's motivation. We get it. Kids. Motherhood. That's my biggest complaint. I felt like Wanda should be a multi film level threat and she felt very one dimensional here and that's not good considering how more complex she felt to me in WandaVision.

I thought the way she basically defeated herself was predictable and forced and maybe it's just me but every scene with her and the children was awkward. I know that's probably the point - her children are like mindless, subservient lapdogs who only exist to feed Wanda's need to have some kind of purpose - but it was even more uncomfortable the second time around for me.

I loved everything else about the film. Wanda had some great moments when she was killing people and being brutally clever, but the motivation just didn't feel as believable considering the gravity of what's going down in this film.

I hope Strange returns in his own movie sooner than 2028. Really excited for what that post credits implies. I've never heard of this character because Spiderman is the only character whose comics I've read.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2022, 12:31:09 PM »

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2022, 12:40:18 PM »

That I told to my brother.

He reminded me is the same for Loki, as he has even a croc as himself in another universe

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2022, 01:17:30 PM »
I think Loki, the series, did a good job of showing us that variants can look the same but also look vastly different, so when things like NWH and ITMOM come around, we aren't confused as to why variant Peter Parkers look different but variant Stranges don't.

What If also kind of handled this as well, and I think if we see any variants in the future, they'll have the freedom to do whatever they want - bring back the original actor (Chris Evans' Steve Rogers, RDJ's Tony Stark), or recast with a new actor.

-Marc.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2022, 03:02:48 PM »
Just got back. Really enjoyed that. More than No Way Home, actually.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2022, 05:15:12 PM »
Well, this continues the phase 4 trend of great D+ shows (mostly) and really, really underwhelming, disappointing films.  I think I'll just mentally wrap it in a bow at the end of phase 3 and let the MCU die to me.  So much wasted potential.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online The Realm

« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2022, 05:53:57 PM »
I thought this movie was pretty disappointing overall. I loved Wanda/Vision and this really was the sequel that we maybe didn't need? I'm not sure what people who haven't seen Wanda/Vision would really get out of this movie. The cameos were also very underwhelming and just pointless in the scheme of things.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2022, 07:42:58 PM »
Well, this continues the phase 4 trend of great D+ shows (mostly) and really, really underwhelming, disappointing films.  I think I'll just mentally wrap it in a bow at the end of phase 3 and let the MCU die to me.  So much wasted potential.

Damn. I haven't seen What If or Moon Knight yet but I've loved the shows (except Hawkeye) and the only film I haven't liked is Eternals. And Black Widow if that's phase 4. What do you think it is that you dislike about the new phase?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2022, 11:54:59 PM »

Damn. I haven't seen What If or Moon Knight yet but I've loved the shows (except Hawkeye) and the only film I haven't liked is Eternals. And Black Widow if that's phase 4. What do you think it is that you dislike about the new phase?

In some cases, it is individual things about certain films.  But I can definitely make some generalizations about the entire phase:

1.  The multiverse is a really stupid concept and I hate it.  It is too much of a license to do whatever they want to do, to ignore inconsistencies, and it is a dumb excuse to pull in weaker franchises and "pollute"/"dilute" an otherwise stellar franchise through 23 films.  That said, I won't give them too much flak for this because it is a conscious writing decision rather than just accidental poor writing, and if that's the direction they want to go, so be it.  But I mention it because you asked what I don't like, specifically.

2.  The "third act problem" seems much more glaring in phase 4 than any other sustained period in the MCU.  Even when you had massive CGI-fests in the finale of earlier films, they felt like they had much more of a point that had a connection to the themes and emotional appeals of the films.  The final battle in Age of Ultron, for example, was a logical conclusion to the film, and the film had built up to that moment, thematically, emotionally, and logically.  To contrast that with Shang Chi, for example, that film was about family and about finding oneself and one's place in family and in the world at large.  The final confrontation between Shang Chi and Xu Wenwu should have been the focal point.  But instead, that got diluted and way overshadowed by a fight with 2 giant CGI dragons, which was thematically, tonally, and emotionally dissonant from what the film had been focused on up to that point.  And it's a real shame, because that film could have and should have been awesome.  But once they got to Ta Lo, once I got past how visually stunning everything was, I just found myself not caring much what happened.  Because there was no reason to.  Too much of phase 4 falls into the same trap, albeit maybe not quite as badly as Shang Chi (with the exception of Eternals, which missed the mark even farther). 

3.  Bad writing.  There are way too many times when things happen "just because" or a character does something that is completely out of character or lacks sufficient motivation (think Anakin's instantaneous turn and willingness to go kill kids in Revenge of the Sith).  Or plot points that just don't belong in Marvel films.  Once we can post spoilers about this film, there is a LOT I can write in that regard.  And there is one character moment in particular that drove me bananas because there is NO WAY that character makes that decision.   

4.  Phase 4 has The Eternals, which is one of the worst "superhero" films of all time, and is not worthy of the Marvel name.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #96 on: May 09, 2022, 07:30:50 AM »
Gonna agree with most of what Bosk said. Don't agree with his take on the multiverse, but it's also one of those things that is never utilized amazingly well. Marvel has done a great job in some ways but missed opportunities in others. Also will disagree on how bad Eternals is  :lol but other than that we seem to be on the same page.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2022, 08:58:04 AM »
4.  Phase 4 has The Eternals, which is one of the worst "superhero" films of all time, and is not worthy of the Marvel name.

Nah.  I mean it's one, if not the worst MCU film, but.....Catwomen, Steel, Elektra, Superman IV, Supergirl, Batman & Robin, Spawn, Fantastic 4 (the recent one), Dark Phoenix, Blade : Trinity, Ghost Ryder 1 & 2, Green Lantern are all legitimately terrible films.    Eternals is meh, like the Snyder DCU films, Daredevil,  X-Men : Last Stand & Apocalypse, Amazing Spider-Man 2 etc...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 09:07:00 AM by soupytwist »

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2022, 09:17:47 AM »
Just realized Marvel released Multiverse Of Madness  on Mothers Day weekend. Maybe that’s why it’s called MoM after all.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2022, 09:47:27 AM »
Just realized Marvel released Multiverse Of Madness  on Mothers Day weekend. Maybe that’s why it’s called MoM after all.

And the central theme is motherhood.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: May 09, 2022, 10:34:30 AM »

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: May 09, 2022, 10:36:00 AM »

:rollin

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2022, 11:28:25 AM »

In some cases, it is individual things about certain films.  But I can definitely make some generalizations about the entire phase:

1.  The multiverse is a really stupid concept and I hate it.  It is too much of a license to do whatever they want to do, to ignore inconsistencies, and it is a dumb excuse to pull in weaker franchises and "pollute"/"dilute" an otherwise stellar franchise through 23 films.  That said, I won't give them too much flak for this because it is a conscious writing decision rather than just accidental poor writing, and if that's the direction they want to go, so be it.  But I mention it because you asked what I don't like, specifically.

2.  The "third act problem" seems much more glaring in phase 4 than any other sustained period in the MCU.  Even when you had massive CGI-fests in the finale of earlier films, they felt like they had much more of a point that had a connection to the themes and emotional appeals of the films.  The final battle in Age of Ultron, for example, was a logical conclusion to the film, and the film had built up to that moment, thematically, emotionally, and logically.  To contrast that with Shang Chi, for example, that film was about family and about finding oneself and one's place in family and in the world at large.  The final confrontation between Shang Chi and Xu Wenwu should have been the focal point.  But instead, that got diluted and way overshadowed by a fight with 2 giant CGI dragons, which was thematically, tonally, and emotionally dissonant from what the film had been focused on up to that point.  And it's a real shame, because that film could have and should have been awesome.  But once they got to Ta Lo, once I got past how visually stunning everything was, I just found myself not caring much what happened.  Because there was no reason to.  Too much of phase 4 falls into the same trap, albeit maybe not quite as badly as Shang Chi (with the exception of Eternals, which missed the mark even farther). 

3.  Bad writing.  There are way too many times when things happen "just because" or a character does something that is completely out of character or lacks sufficient motivation (think Anakin's instantaneous turn and willingness to go kill kids in Revenge of the Sith).  Or plot points that just don't belong in Marvel films.  Once we can post spoilers about this film, there is a LOT I can write in that regard.  And there is one character moment in particular that drove me bananas because there is NO WAY that character makes that decision.   

Swing and a miss!  This is a bad take good sir!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Adami

« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2022, 05:03:08 PM »
So I think I'm willing to largely give Marvel a squinting pass (that's where I give them a pass but squint at them the whole time) for this because of COVID. I know this movie was supposed to come out before Spider-Man and also had a ton of re-shoots and stuff changed around and removed last minute. I can only imagine that if they did this movie as they had initially planned, it might have been better. Hopefully future movies won't have this same problem to this degree. I don't think Thor or Black Panther 2 had to have their core stories altered due to COVID (obviously Black Panther did for other reasons, so I'll be lenient with that one too).
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: May 09, 2022, 05:24:00 PM »
Adami, I think it's more of fans reaching a climax of Endgame.  Fans were on such a euphoric high, that nothing compares to the ending of the 1st run. (4th phase)