Author Topic: Dr Strange in The Multiverse of Madness --- SPOILERS ALLOWED ---  (Read 19170 times)

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Re: Dr Strange in The Multiverse of Madness --- SPOILERS ALLOWED ---
« Reply #210 on: May 29, 2022, 10:57:30 AM »
So I've been thinking about it, and I realized I'm not totally sure I have a sense of who Strange is as a character. I know WHAT he does, but I'm not sure why he does it, you know? I got the overall character and motivation for the other MCU people (minus Eternals, I guess) but I just have no sense of who Strange is as a character. He seems more of a function than a person at this point.

Similar to Stark.  Intelligence and arrogance....but where as Stark was more of an extrovert (money, fast cars, hot women) and loves being social where he can be the centre of attention. Strange is an introvert, generally a loner seeking knowledge, being round other people generally annoys him, because he thinks himself above them.

But that’s not his character or arc. That’s his flaws. Or some of them.

Often these characters arcs are just them having to get over thier flaws.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #211 on: July 28, 2022, 05:21:25 AM »
QUESTION:

In Infinity War Strange tells Tony that they win in only one universe

In Multiverse of Madness we see that at least in another universe they also win (Charles, Mr Fantastic, Thunderbolt, Captain Marvel and the others)

Did Strange was wrong? Did he lie to Tony?

What are your thoughts?

Online faizoff

« Reply #212 on: July 28, 2022, 05:33:50 AM »
QUESTION:

In Multiverse of Madness we see that at least in another universe they also win (Charles, Mr Fantastic, Thunderbolt, Captain Marvel and the others)

What are your thoughts?

What Strange tells Tony was most likely for that universe only. There's never any mention of him going to different multiverses, he goes forward in time with different scenarios in the same universe.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: July 28, 2022, 06:00:48 AM »
QUESTION:

What are your thoughts?

What Strange tells Tony was most likely for that universe only. There's never any mention of him going to different multiverses, he goes forward in time with different scenarios in the same universe.

Oh, ok.

Maybe the the translation in Spanish was wrong, I need to watch it with audio in English now.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #214 on: July 28, 2022, 06:02:46 AM »
Also, 14M out of infinity is still a pretty small number.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #215 on: July 28, 2022, 09:04:50 AM »
Saw a video about the BR commentaries and deleted scenes and man, this movie could've been so much better. Not that it was bad, but it seems a lot of the material that didn't make the final cut would have improved it so much.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #216 on: July 28, 2022, 09:33:48 AM »
Saw a video about the BR commentaries and deleted scenes and man, this movie could've been so much better. Not that it was bad, but it seems a lot of the material that didn't make the final cut would have improved it so much.

I just got my Target edition BD set and I haven't had a chance to watch the special features yet, but I'm excited to see what they include. I really enjoyed the documentary on Disney+.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #217 on: July 28, 2022, 09:35:11 AM »

That doesn't surprise me.  Most of the issues I had with the film revolve around things we were simply told rather than shown.  And in order for some things to have emotional resonance or have the desired impact, you have to see what the character is going through and how that impacts them.  We were definitely missing some of that in this film, and just a bit more care in that area could have easily taken it from "just okay" to "really great." 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #218 on: July 28, 2022, 09:38:11 AM »
Yea I think Dr. Strange is the film that really could've benefited from being longer and including more moments instead of simply telling people that it happened off screen.

Thor on the other hand may be improved somewhat by a longer cut (which Taika himself has dismissed) but that one really just seemed to be lost in the writing department.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online faizoff

« Reply #219 on: July 28, 2022, 10:16:56 AM »
Hadn't commented on the movie but I really enjoyed it. I never watched any of the trailers so had no idea who all were going to be in it or what iterations of Doctor Strange there were. And as probably one of the very few who loved the What If series, it was great to see some of those characters placed in the movie.

I had no clue Wanda would be the central role in being the villain. I kinda liked it even if the motivation for her was a bit iffy esp if you've seen her in WandaVision. I'm curious to re-watch it with the wife as she's not seen any of the shows apart from Loki, this movie takes some of the elements of the D+ shows more than any of the others have.

I enjoyed the 'Raimi'ness of the movie, seeing the mixed reaction towards it I thought I'd be indifferent to it but like others have said, some pacing and editing issues aside it was a solid movie.

Thor 4 is the only one I haven't seen yet and that seems even more mixed than D Strange.

Going back to the extra features listed on the bluray release, they seem really bare apart from the commentary. The documentary on D+ isn't included so guess they're splitting up the availability across platforms.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #220 on: July 29, 2022, 07:36:59 AM »
I think 90% of us fans would be happier with much longer run times . . . I mean they’ve filmed the footage after all. But of course it comes down to $ and the amount of screenings you could fit in.

Online faizoff

« Reply #221 on: July 29, 2022, 07:47:43 AM »
I don't know how much of a factor that is right now. Both the last avengers movies were 3 hours long. Wasn't the latest Spiderman movie 2 1/2 hours?

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #222 on: July 29, 2022, 10:04:19 AM »
Yea I think Dr. Strange is the film that really could've benefited from being longer and including more moments instead of simply telling people that it happened off screen.

Thor on the other hand may be improved somewhat by a longer cut (which Taika himself has dismissed) but that one really just seemed to be lost in the writing department.

Interesting, to me it kinda feels the other way around.

Dr Strange is fine in length but I wish they jeeted out the whole Illuminati stuff (I thought they were terrible to be honest) and spend a more time on Wanda, Strange, and the girl accross alternate dimensions.

Thor to me needed much more breathing time between the funny bits and the more serious stuff, but I do like the overall plot and characters.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #223 on: November 10, 2022, 06:58:48 AM »
I just watched this with my wife last night, and we both enjoyed it immensely.
That said - I agree with everything Adami and Bosk1 have said in this thread, the only difference being that it didn't hamper my enjoyment much.

I've seen this happen before, where a TV show that provides lots of space for character and plot development gets resolved by a fast-paced movie. It's hard to adapt to, at first, because everything feels "rushed". It was hard to really get into heel Wanda, because of how fast (though logical) her heel turn way.

That said I think this general directing, the visuals, and the music were all a notch above much of what I've seen from the MCU thus far. Really love that they let Rami do his thing, and Elfman is always great.