Author Topic: Marvel Studios' She-Hulk: Attorney At Law (Disney+) - S1 Finale OUT NOW!  (Read 18434 times)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Re: Marvel Studios' She-Hulk: Attorney At Law (Disney+) - Episode 8 OUT NOW!
« Reply #245 on: October 12, 2022, 02:14:04 PM »
I'm not equipped to say what bad or good writing is, tbh, but I see it like this:

This show is like a silly, throwaway comic book - anything can happen and it doesn't matter. It's colourful and fun with a good bit of heart. Comics are often like this - it's what makes them a unique medium, imo. Characters from other titles turn up. Crap temporary characters come and go. Motivations and plots are often paper-thin, but what the hell. For me, when this happens in a title that seems to be serious and straight-faced (hello and fuck you, Batman) I hate it, but in a book that's playing for laughs (hey, Deadpool, you legend) it's all good. And this is where She-Hulk is for me.

The dialogue is fun, I fully care about Jen, and they've taken their time in earning our empathy with her before showing a serious threat. Works for me.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #246 on: October 12, 2022, 02:46:36 PM »
Perfectly stated man. :tup

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #247 on: October 12, 2022, 03:05:43 PM »
The scene at the bar where Matt buys Jen a drink is an example of what the show should be like.  Decent dialog between two characters acting like real people, it even manages a joke where the character is being genuinely funny "I'm wearing pants, right?".

« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 03:30:16 PM by soupytwist »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #248 on: October 12, 2022, 03:23:50 PM »
I'm not equipped to say what bad or good writing is, tbh, but I see it like this:

This show is like a silly, throwaway comic book - anything can happen and it doesn't matter. It's colourful and fun with a good bit of heart. Comics are often like this - it's what makes them a unique medium, imo. Characters from other titles turn up. Crap temporary characters come and go. Motivations and plots are often paper-thin, but what the hell. For me, when this happens in a title that seems to be serious and straight-faced (hello and fuck you, Batman) I hate it, but in a book that's playing for laughs (hey, Deadpool, you legend) it's all good. And this is where She-Hulk is for me.

The dialogue is fun, I fully care about Jen, and they've taken their time in earning our empathy with her before showing a serious threat. Works for me.

It's become a thing where, now that the MCU has begun to diversify its tones and plots and writing, that fans who wanted more of the same are complaining. In hindsight, it's pretty ironic considering that, through Phase 2, a lot of the complaints about the MCU was that it was pretty same-y - arrogant protagonist learns a lesson, fights a one-off villain who is pretty much the hero but evil/misunderstood, and everyone has quips. But now that we've gotten things like Eternals, Doctor Strange 2, Moon Knight, WandaVision, Ms. Marvel, and She-Hulk, people are just not into it. Maybe it's fatigue, maybe these varying tones just aren't hitting the older audiences who got used to the "MCU Formula", or perhaps they just weren't ready for it all.

Personally, I love it all. As a comic reader growing up, I knew that different books, characters and stories were all trying different things, and no two comics were alike. I like that, in the same year, we get stories about Moon Knight, Doctor Strange, and She-Hulk and they're not all tonally the same. Heck, even the recent Werewolf By Night gave us something completely different, and it ended up being pretty damn good!

I think it's also just a case of "too much too soon". The pandemic really squished up their schedule, and everything we've gotten since Black Widow was supposed to be stretched out between 2020-2022. For die-hards who eat this all up, it's been a buffet of delights, but for those who have felt burnt-out since Endgame, they've probably felt overwhelmed and underwhelmed at the same time.

Every show/movie isn't going to be for everyone, and that has been the case since day 1, but now it's become way more apparent that that's how the MCU will operate from here on out. Giving different characters wildly different tones and stories, lead by many different directors and producers. I'm hoping that Kevin Feige will see what has stuck with fans these past two years and adjust course appropriately, given how much content they're planning between now and the end of 2026!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #249 on: October 13, 2022, 05:00:57 AM »
I agree with everything you said there. I've enjoyed all of the Phase 4 stuff, some more than others obviously. I would love to see them add in a dark, serious character without all the comedy. I think that's the one thing that's missing right now.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: October 13, 2022, 07:38:16 AM »
It’s finally over.  :hefdaddy

And just when you were expecting some action BUFFF they blow it all off and then justified it the silliest way.

You had She Hulk, Hulk, Abomination, Daredevil, introduced Hulk’s son and FAILED miserably as a show.  :loser:

Offline The Letter M

Re: Marvel Studios' She-Hulk: Attorney At Law (Disney+) - S1 Finale OUT NOW!
« Reply #251 on: October 13, 2022, 08:03:56 AM »
That finale was not at all what I expected and I'm glad for that! Gotta love She-Hulk breaking the fourth wall and calling out the typical MCU Clichés!

Also love the subtle Wakanda Forever nod in there as well. Good stuff. Was it the best finale? No. Was it even good? I'd say it was suitably appropriate for the show, and probably one of its better episodes. If a s2 is on the way, count me in!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #252 on: October 13, 2022, 09:17:12 AM »
OK.  Wow, I gotta be honest here and say I admire the ambition shown here, to even try something like that is pretty brave to be honest.  So I'm giving the show some kudos for that.   However it was done in a rather rushed and charmless way, and felt somewhat smug - 'Aren't we clever?'.  A bigger issue is it takes away any threat the MCU throws at us now if we are to take this as cannon - or maybe we aren't supposed to be bothered about this?  I don't know.   Overall I didn't like the show and while this ending was interesting I'm not sure it comes close to rescuing the show, but at least it tried something different (even if imo it doesn't work).

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #253 on: October 13, 2022, 02:25:22 PM »
A bigger issue is it takes away any threat the MCU throws at us now if we are to take this as cannon - or maybe we aren't supposed to be bothered about this?  I don't know.   

I don't see it this way.  The show was meant to be a comedy, and rather than the character breaking the fourth wall, the entire show did.  I think they were just trying to be silly and joke about how powerful Kevin Feige is. 

It's not like the characters in the Avengers are breaking the fourth wall or complaining about the writing in their own films in order to come up with a way to defeat Thanos. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #254 on: October 13, 2022, 06:19:13 PM »
"I smash fourth walls and bad endings....and sometimes Matt Murdoch"  :lol

Fun ending, definitely didn't expect where that went. Love the MCU having a bit of self deprecating humor.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #255 on: October 13, 2022, 06:56:19 PM »
I get it that She-Hulk wasn't for everyone but I really enjoyed it and some of the humour, especially in the last episode was great - smashing Matt Murdock and when are the x-men going to show up?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #256 on: October 13, 2022, 11:28:45 PM »
That was...fun.  :clap:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #257 on: October 14, 2022, 05:27:18 AM »
Some genuine big laughs in that episode finally. Kind of a weird ending, but pretty fun. I'm curious how a character like that joins in to other MCU movies/shows. Does she continue to break the 4th wall? Same with Deadpool I guess.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #258 on: October 14, 2022, 06:15:54 AM »
That finale was both completely ridiculous and completely awesome.  Definitely a throwback to the She-Hulk comics.  She didn't just break the fourth wall - she demolished it.  And the show as a whole worked as a send-up to the MCU, showing that while being serious about what they do, they don't take themselves seriously.

I didn't expect Hulk showing up with Skaar.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #259 on: October 14, 2022, 09:01:00 AM »
Pretty sure I'm not the only one who feels like Marvel just trolled me for 8 episodes.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: October 14, 2022, 09:03:59 AM »
I'm curious how a character like that joins in to other MCU movies/shows. Does she continue to break the 4th wall? Same with Deadpool I guess.

I expect whoever is the "main" character of a particular movie/show will largely dictate the tone.  Just like we got a more lighthearted Matt Murdoch on this show, I wouldn't expect Daredevil: Born Again to turn into a comedy if Jen shows up.   We may still get the occasional 4th Wall break and a little more humor, but it will be within the bounds of whatever the movie or show has set up.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #261 on: October 14, 2022, 03:26:00 PM »
I'm curious how a character like that joins in to other MCU movies/shows. Does she continue to break the 4th wall? Same with Deadpool I guess.

I expect whoever is the "main" character of a particular movie/show will largely dictate the tone.  Just like we got a more lighthearted Matt Murdoch on this show, I wouldn't expect Daredevil: Born Again to turn into a comedy if Jen shows up.   We may still get the occasional 4th Wall break and a little more humor, but it will be within the bounds of whatever the movie or show has set up.

I totally agree with this.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #262 on: October 14, 2022, 03:29:30 PM »
I didn't see that kind of ep coming. They just pushed the whole "knowing" thing all the way up. ;D

Really dug this series. Really hope we get to see more of Jen in future.  :heart  :smiley:
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #263 on: October 14, 2022, 08:45:24 PM »
That vintage 80's Hulk opening was fire.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #264 on: October 14, 2022, 09:15:02 PM »
Very entertaining.  Was it good?  I have no idea.  I wasn't sure about this show at first, but I warmed up to it and I thought the last couple of episodes were a lot of fun, so I guess I was along for the ride.  As others have said, it took a lot of ambition to do this, to intentionally create something so different, and for one of the differences to be the fact that the show acknowledges and references itself and its place in the universe.  I like a clever breaking of the fourth wall, but I don't know if I want to see it all the time or have it as a definitive characteristic of the show.  Same with Deadpool.  Very clever, very well done, but I watch TV and movies to escape, to immerse myself in the world I'm viewing.  To be constantly reminded that I'm indeed only a viewer and it's only a bit of fiction kinda spoils that for me.

But I thought it was well done and quite entertaining.  So I guess that makes it "good" by at least one definition.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #265 on: October 15, 2022, 05:57:44 AM »
That vintage 80's Hulk opening was fire.
Indeed!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #266 on: October 15, 2022, 08:15:43 AM »
I mostly enjoyed the show. I think they did a great job with characters and tackling some of the issues they tried to tackle. The ending was a lot of fun but hopefully doesn't escalate much more.

That said, it WAS poorly written in a lot of ways, to me. The show just lacked much focus. It was trying to be several things at once and left them all short changed as a result. They were trying to be a legal case of the week sitcom, they were trying to explore Jen's dating life, they were trying to explore the dualism of being both Jen and She-Hulk, while also telling a typical Marvel good guy/bad guy season long story. I think they could've ditched some of that and focused a bit more on others. I don't think the season long HulkKing stuff was necessary or helpful. A more focused story split between case of the week and Jen navigating life as a she-hulk and the duality that entails would've been good. More episodes would've helped too. Cause of that case of the week stuff was great, but it felt shortchanged. Titania, for instance, could've been completely eliminated from the story. I love Jamil but I don't see what it added at all. I think the stuff they did well could've been explored more and focused on more, but they were just so all over the place week to week.

I wouldn't rate this high in the MCU television shows, but I really enjoyed a lot of it and I'm glad Tatiana is a part of the MCU and I think she'll really shine moving forward if given the chance.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #267 on: October 15, 2022, 03:40:48 PM »
I watched this show just because of Tatiana (became a fan after Orphan Black) and I loved it.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #268 on: November 03, 2022, 06:06:41 PM »
The Assembled episode for She-Hulk has been uploaded today! I'm watching it right now!

-Marc.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #269 on: November 09, 2022, 07:44:04 AM »
I couldn't find it.  Went to Disney+, it wasn't under Extras for the show, and I searched "assembled" and got a bunch of them, but not She-Hulk.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #270 on: November 09, 2022, 08:10:32 AM »
I couldn't find it.  Went to Disney+, it wasn't under Extras for the show, and I searched "assembled" and got a bunch of them, but not She-Hulk.

From the main page, I clicked on the MARVEL banner andnits the first selection under the top row of Featured items, followed by She-Hulk the series, Director By Night and Werewolf By Night.

-Marc.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #271 on: November 09, 2022, 08:40:52 AM »
Thanks, I'll try again (sometime).  Annoying that they couldn't also put it in places that actually make sense.