Author Topic: Winter Solstice  (Read 1541 times)

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Winter Solstice
« on: December 21, 2021, 06:23:11 AM »
In light of today being the winter solstice, I thought I'd share one of the more depressing things about living in Canada.

I realize that up in the north of Canada (and elsewhere farther north in the hemisphere) there's precisely zero daylight today, but it's still depressing having the sun rise and set while I'm at work. At least it's reasonably warm for this time of year in Edmonton (Christmas day....not so much at an anticipated -29C)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Winter Solstice
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 06:37:44 AM »
"Reasonably warm"...my California nuts would shatter at those temps.

Weirdly enough, while today is the shortest day, we had our earliest sunset last Sunday. Been a while since I did the arrive and leave work in the dark thing though, with the exception of double shifts. I'm usually out of my main job by 2:30pm, so it'd have to be an apocalyptic event for it to be dark here at that time.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2021, 07:34:48 AM »
I feel like I'm the only one in the world who enjoys when the sun sets early. I love the night time so having it come earlier is always a plus in my book.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2021, 07:45:05 AM »
I'm in St Petersburg Russia. Sunrise today was 10am and sunset 3:45pm. Weather a balmy minus 16 in the evening (nothing compared to a couple of weeks ago when we had a cold snap of almost minus 30 for a week).

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2021, 08:01:28 AM »
I'm in St Petersburg Russia. Sunrise today was 10am and sunset 3:45pm. Weather a balmy minus 16 in the evening (nothing compared to a couple of weeks ago when we had a cold snap of almost minus 30 for a week).

Dave gets it!

We had that kind of cold snap a week ago, and will have another one next week. Northern Hemi for the win!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2021, 08:38:55 AM »
I love the winter solstice since it means this crap has finally turned a corner, lol

Really can't stand it getting dark early and really can't stand super cold temps. Thank god I don't suffer from seasonal affective disorder in regard to winter, but I feel for people that do. Winter in general is really not my thing.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2021, 08:45:07 AM »
I feel like I'm the only one in the world who enjoys when the sun sets early. I love the night time so having it come earlier is always a plus in my book.
I like it to, it gives me more time to do stargazing  :biggrin: We have to wait until almost 10pm in the summer, when in fall/winter we can start as early as 6pm. Plus, there is more interesting things to observed in winter than in the summer.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2021, 09:02:04 AM »
I like it to, it gives me more time to do stargazing  :biggrin: We have to wait until almost 10pm in the summer, when in fall/winter we can start as early as 6pm. Plus, there is more interesting things to observed in winter than in the summer.

I can certainly appreciate the gothic beauty of winter, and I do enjoy that we have 4 very distinct seasons. That being said, the dark and cold wears on you. And winter driving.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2021, 09:05:08 AM »

I'm in Moscow, can confirm, except sunrise was an hour earlier for us and no cold snap previously.

I like winter and thankfully there's plenty of snow compared to previous year, however I'd like to see the sun occasionally on working days. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2021, 09:29:47 AM »
I used to travel to NY (Sterling Forest) for business very year for like 15 years. Sometimes it was in December and I noticed it started getting dark around 3:30pm and we were in complete darkness around 4:30pm. The NYorkers I worked with hated it and they said they tended to get depressed.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2021, 09:42:37 AM »
I used to travel to NY (Sterling Forest) for business very year for like 15 years. Sometimes it was in December and I noticed it started getting dark around 3:30pm and we were in complete darkness around 4:30pm. The NYorkers I worked with hated it and they said they tended to get depressed.

Oh, seasonal affective disorder is a real thing. I pump myself full of vitamin D during the winter to try to fend it off. Some of my co-workers even use special lamps at their desks that emit a light that's supposed to help (well, in a pre-pandemic world anyway. I haven't been to my office since March 2020).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2021, 10:03:58 AM »

You're not.

I used to leave my house before 6am and leave the office after sunset.  It would usually be light by the time I got to the office, but I've never liked it when the sun doesn't set until 8pm (or later).  Of course, when my kid played baseball, it was nice being able to have games after I got off work, but that was about it.

But I realize that's easy to say given where I live and the fact that we think we have a cold snap coming because the weather isn't expect to rise above 60F for the week between Christmas and new year's day.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2021, 11:20:10 AM »
I did a year in Erie, PA; I would drive up from Philly Sunday night, stay the week, and leave Friday afternoon.  I did that for a year.   I actually LIKED as it got to fall, and I would go to work in darkness, work all day, then leave to drive home in darkness.   It was even better when the lake effect snow would start; sometimes I would drive up on Sunday and it would start snowing somewhere along I-79, and it would snow all week until I drove out of it.  It was this fine mist of snow, so it didn't accumulate more than an inch or two, but it was BEAUTIFUL.  It wasn't a great time in my life, and I drank a little more than I usually do, but I can't really credit the darkness for that; I was 250 miles from home, missing my kid (who was 10 or 11 at the time) and on the cusp of a divorce, so there were other factors at play.  ;)

Offline dparrott

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2021, 10:03:25 AM »

For real.  If it's below 70F I'm bundling up.  I hate this time of year, cloudy and cold (relatively) all the time.  Gimme summer and dry 100F heat.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2021, 11:15:56 AM »

For real.  If it's below 70F I'm bundling up.  I hate this time of year, cloudy and cold (relatively) all the time.  Gimme summer and dry 100F heat.

Bleh!  I have a running debate with a guy at work who's into high temperatures.  I've said many times that, if given the choice between "never above 60" and "never below 80," I'd take the former every time.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2021, 11:40:33 AM »

Bleh!  I have a running debate with a guy at work who's into high temperatures.  I've said many times that, if given the choice between "never above 60" and "never below 80," I'd take the former every time.

Every time.  I can bundle up if it's cold. Not a thing i can do when it's hot except be a gross, sweaty mess.