Author Topic: Denis Villeneuve to tackle Rendezvous with Rama  (Read 3532 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Denis Villeneuve to tackle Rendezvous with Rama
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2021, 08:57:36 AM »
DOGPILE ON TIM!!!!!

Maybe Tattoo can direct that. He’ll still have to stand on a milk crate with you three Adonises on top of me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2021, 08:59:43 AM »
DOGPILE ON TIM!!!!!

Bishop jumps Queen! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2021, 09:54:39 AM »
When I was a teenager/early 20's, I did pay attention to directors.

Same.  A director can kill a good movie, but screenwriters and actors make good movies.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2021, 10:01:40 AM »
I think most people just don't really pay attention to directors.

I know I don't, especially for movies I'm not interested in seeing.  It might catch my eye if it's a big name director or one that there is a prominent news story about.  But otherwise, not really.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2021, 10:06:57 AM »

I know I don't, especially for movies I'm not interested in seeing.  It might catch my eye if it's a big name director or one that there is a prominent news story about.  But otherwise, not really.

Yup.  I vaguely knew there was a new Blade Runner movie a few years ago, but had no interest, so cared about who directed it about as much as I cared about who was the key grip.  Same with Dune.  My wife and daughter went.  I went to see the new Ghostbusters movie, but I have no idea who directed it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jammindude

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2021, 01:46:06 PM »
Tim…we’re all feeling exactly this right now.  :rollin

https://youtu.be/w6OOPqqxsyQ
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2021, 02:03:26 PM »
What show is that from?

;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2021, 02:08:19 PM »
 :rollin :rollin

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2021, 02:18:56 PM »

Yup.  I vaguely knew there was a new Blade Runner movie a few years ago, but had no interest, so cared about who directed it about as much as I cared about who was the key grip.  Same with Dune.  My wife and daughter went.  I went to see the new Ghostbusters movie, but I have no idea who directed it.

I don't even know what a key grip is.  Is that important?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2021, 02:20:43 PM »
It is when you're trying to unlock the door.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2021, 02:22:06 PM »
“If you pick up something once you’re considered a grip.” - MST3K The Movie

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2021, 02:25:07 PM »
There was a MST3K movie???

I couldn't make through 5 minutes of that show.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2021, 02:32:34 PM »

There was a Kickstarter to revive the show a few years ago. It became the number one money making Kickstarter in history at the time it happened. So they have two new seasons on Netflix, and the third one is in the works that is going to be released on another platform.

In addition to that, the original show’s second host started his own “movie riffing” series called RiffTrax, and that is also incredibly popular.

EDIT - The individual shows are admittedly touch and go. Some are hilarious and some are just OK. But the movie itself actually takes some of the best jokes from the shows history and put them into A package that is ironically shorter than the episodes. It really is kind of a “best of” and it’s absolutely hilarious.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2021, 02:49:23 PM »

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2021, 02:51:28 PM »
Why would I want to watch a vacuum cleaner and a lamp discuss a movie?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2021, 02:53:06 PM »
Are you Data without the emotion chip?

Wait, you'll won't get this either.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2021, 02:54:34 PM »

That’s like asking why would I want to watch George Carlin “discuss” life…

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2021, 03:00:43 PM »

That’s like asking why would I want to watch George Carlin “discuss” life…

WUT? No it's not! :lol

My toaster told me to say that.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2021, 03:05:20 PM »

I don't even know what a key grip is.  Is that important?

It's definitely a key position.

MST3K The Movie

What the Movie?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2021, 03:10:24 PM »
This thread is everything. I can't wait to see what it morphs into over the next three years before the movie is released.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2021, 03:12:05 PM »
Are you Data without the emotion chip?

Wait, you'll won't get this either.

Off brand Spock.  :P

Offline jammindude

« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2021, 04:05:47 PM »
I just figured out why Tim could never appreciate MST3K.    About half the jokes are pop culture humor.    Not sure he would get most of it.   :rollin :rollin :rollin

[about to land on a planet that is a flat barren wasteland]

"AAGGGHHHHH!!!! IT'S MICHAEL STIPE'S HEAD!!!!!"

Tim:  "Huh?  What are they talking about?"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2021, 11:10:02 AM »
Some of you people just aren't really, I don't know, AWARE of shit.

Has nothing to do with liking or paying attention to said shit, either.  I've never seen one episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000, but I know exactly what it is.  Same with Squid Game, Star Trek: Discovery, Arrival, and a hundred other shows/movies/internet things.

People talk about them, my kids joke about them, there are articles about them (even if you don't read them), memes, social media; it's in the air.

It's almost like a real accomplishment to AVOID knowing some of these things.  I'm not slamming you guys.  I'm almost jealous. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2021, 11:38:24 AM »
Seriously...there's a deep hole where people like Tim live, where pop culture cannot exist.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2021, 12:16:14 PM »
Seriously...there's a deep hole where people like Tim live, where pop culture cannot exist.
Maybe they are just really, really, REALLY focused.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2021, 12:21:03 PM »
I was thinking the same thing. I have never seen even one second of squid game. But I know exactly what it is, what it’s about, and I understand all the jokes and Memes revolving around it that circulate on the Internet.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2021, 01:44:42 PM »
I think some of you guys are being a little unfair; I am not in a bubble, and I have four kids of varying ages, so my pop culture "contact" is at least moderate high.  But while I know what Squid Game is, generally, I DON'T know what it is about (even after seeing the Pete Davidson mocking video on SNL the other week).   I know there is a thing call MST3000 (I didn't know the entire acronym; I thought it was Masterpiece something Theater) but I don't know what it is, either.  Then again, there are other things, like The Curse of Oak Island, or 90-Day Fiance, where I can wax prophetic.     

Look, there's just too goddamn much to absorb, and yeah, sure, it's a running joke with TAC, maybe even accurate.  But let's not swing too far in the other direction.  These are not givens. 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 11:24:56 AM by Stadler »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2021, 02:45:01 PM »
So...

There was a time in my life where I was wicked into movies and TV. I worked nights (3p-12) for three and a half years in the mid 90's and met my wife in the middle of that time. I lost touch with so much TV during that time.

My wife doesn't like to go to the movies. To give you some idea, the last time I talked her into seeing a movie (that wasn't kid related) was The Blair Witch Project.

There is literally no TV show that we've ever watched. She had a 5 y/o when we met and he grew up in our house. She watched the first season of American Idol with him, and I watched the final. I decided to start watching Season 2 with them, and we would watched the next half dozen seasons. We started watching House when it came on after. I thought it was a cool show. For a while. I liked the medical mystery of it, but as with any show, it cannot help but get involved with the characters personal life.

Other than that, there's no show that we watch together. When our kids were younger, we actually had a netflix subscription that we enjoyed a lot. Saw lots of movies during that time. But raising kids really changes and determines how you spend your days. Back in those days, I watched a lot of Bill O'Reilly and Hannity & Colmes. And I've always watched the Bruins, and usually the Red Sox. If there's a game on, as long as the kids didn't care, she didn't care if I had it on.

I think having kids changed me in a few ways. I basically stopped caring about fictional characters. I had too much important things to worry about. I started gaining an interest in real life things. history. As my kids grew up, I probably read 30-35 books on the Civil War. Real life is so fascinating and fictional life, to me, just isn't. And any story that revolves around a child tragedy, I cannot stomach. I just can't. Also, any plot that involves a cheating spouse I have no respect for. It's lazy writing and not worth my time.

What about escapism? Well, I have two major outlets. Music and Sports. And my wife has never cared about how much sports I watch or music I listen to. But a parent can only have so many diversions.
I have never...never been a comic book guy. I have had a deep passion for music since I was very young. So Spiderman, the Hulk...I don't have the slightest interest. Never have.

Every now and then, I'll see a coming attraction of a movie that looks interesting, but for the most part it goes right by me.

Nowadays, my wife usually works till about 6 and by the time she gets home and we eat, it's like 7:30-8:00. After that, she usually exercises and then she'll crash in bed, usually to Hannity or Masterpiece. And then she's out, usually by 9:30. That leaves me time to watch the game, DTF, and listen to tunes every night. My wife is simply not one to sit down. She has amazing energy for her age (Sounds way worse than intended..) and she will not sit still to watch a show. And cares even less about pop culture than I do, which is none.

My homepage is MSN, so I do see a lot of pop culture references, but I have no clue who or what any of these people are.

I have seen the name Squid Game, yes. But I have no idea WTF it is, and I don't care. Is it a show? A game? A squid? No clue.

I couldn't name a single Taylor Swift song. the only one I know is the one where she hates the girl next door. i only know that one because there was a bowling alley we used to bring the kids too that played music videos.

I read the threads where people are watching this show and that show, and I think...when?? But then I remember that I'm also sitting in front of my TV every night, and I suppose that I'm in control of what is on.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2021, 04:16:31 PM »
Some of you people just aren't really, I don't know, AWARE of shit.

Has nothing to do with liking or paying attention to said shit, either.  I've never seen one episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000, but I know exactly what it is.  Same with Squid Game, Star Trek: Discovery, Arrival, and a hundred other shows/movies/internet things.

People talk about them, my kids joke about them, there are articles about them (even if you don't read them), memes, social media; it's in the air.

It's almost like a real accomplishment to AVOID knowing some of these things.  I'm not slamming you guys.  I'm almost jealous.

Mystery Science Theater 3000:  I've heard of it but never watched it (and I assume that was the acronym that was mentioned).  I think it's some guys sitting around making fun of bad sci-fi movies (sort of a weird hybrid of Beavis & Butthead and modern day YouTube reaction videos).  Isn't it a gazillion years old?  If I knew people who talked about it back in the day, I don't remember it.

Squid Game:  I've heard the name and have heard that it's in some other language.  That right there is a non-starter, and I know nothing else (either about the show or memes).  Outside of seeing the thread on DTF, I think I know one guy who mentioned it (but he doesn't watch it).

Star Trek Discovery:  It's yet another Star Trek series.  My wife is a big ST fan.  She doesn't like Discovery because she can't stand the main character.  I've never heard anyone else talk about it.

Arrival:  No idea what that is.

And here's one you didn't mention:  Tiger King:  I've heard of it.  It's about some weird guy with tigers.  I know nothing else about it.

I guess I just don't associate with a lot of people who watch stuff like this (other than Star Trek, I guess).  Ask me anything about Friends or The Big Bang Theory or The Amazing Race (I've tried to start discussions about that show, but no one else here seems interested, so alas...) or (to a lesser extent) The Good Place and Brooklyn 99.

As for my kids, my son is WAY into video games (mostly first-person shooters) and manga.  I don't know what manga books he reads, and he doesn't talk to me about them because he knows I don't really care and it would be a one-sided conversation.  My daughter watches cheesy shows and movies on Netflix.  She turned me to to Brooklyn 99, The Good Place and a couple other shows.

Needless to say, if I ever get called to be on Jeopardy, current pop culture is something I'll have to crash study.

I couldn't name a single Taylor Swift song. the only one I know is the one where she hates the girl next door. i only know that one because there was a bowling alley we used to bring the kids too that played music videos.

The only one I know (because it plays at the grocery store fairly frequently) is one where she's never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever....getting back together with someone.  When that song is playing, it really helps me avoid unplanned impulse buys because I want to get out of the store as fast as possible.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2021, 11:29:40 AM »
I guess I just don't associate with a lot of people who watch stuff like this (other than Star Trek, I guess).  Ask me anything about Friends or The Big Bang Theory or The Amazing Race (I've tried to start discussions about that show, but no one else here seems interested, so alas...) or (to a lesser extent) The Good Place and Brooklyn 99.
AND
My daughter watches cheesy shows and movies on Netflix.  She turned me to to Brooklyn 99, The Good Place and a couple other shows.

Different shows, but that's me.  The Good Place; Ted Lasso; Tiger King; Rick and Morty, all from my daughter.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2021, 12:07:40 PM »
AND
My daughter watches cheesy shows and movies on Netflix.  She turned me to to Brooklyn 99, The Good Place and a couple other shows.

Different shows, but that's me.  The Good Place; Ted Lasso; Tiger King; Rick and Morty, all from my daughter.

I want to watch past the second episode of Ted Lasso (just to see if it gets good), but I'm not going to subscribe to Apple TV just for that.

And this is a comment I noticed when passing through these recent posts again:

That's the thing.  There are literally hundreds (not just a hundred) things that could be mentioned here.  I know lots of them, but lots I've only heard of and don't know anything about (and I'm sure there are tons that I haven't even heard of).  It's just a matter of where your tastes lie and what your friends and family talk about.