Author Topic: Top 100 Dream Theater songs countdown (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 53133 times)

Offline HOF

Re: Top 100 Dream Theater songs countdown (Top 50 now going!)
« Reply #560 on: January 11, 2022, 07:38:13 PM »
I was worried I might have had Another Day too low at 16.  There was a time it would have been top 5 probably. It was the song from DT that really hooked me and made me think there was something really special and unique about them. I think it’s just one of those songs I’ve played so much that it’s lost some impact (as with a lot of I&W really). At any rate, I think 44 is way too low, but that’s to be expected with ballads I guess.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #561 on: January 11, 2022, 08:41:21 PM »
44 Another Day #74

This song is an example of one that jumps around a lot in my rankings. If I were to rank right now, it'd be higher up in the 40's range. It's a fantastic ballad that is of it's time. Kevin Moore's keyboard tones are why I think it sounds the way it does. I have no problem with it and actually enjoy it. It's one of those Dream Theater songs that doesn't quite sound the same without Kevin Moore, to me anyways. I love the build-up and think it's among their best build-ups.

43 Fall Into The Light #53

It's a great song eclipsed by the other songs on an amazing album. What I enjoy the most about Metallica are their use of arpeggios, in songs like Call of Kthulu, Welcome Home(Sanitarium), and especially in Unforgiven. The best thing about Fall Into The Light is how they capture that same atmosphere and vibe from the Unforgiven and expand upon it by making it a live song. The middle section is meant to be sung live, and it works best when it is sung live. I heard it best in Arizona more so than in Denver. I am warming up to this song the more I listen to it, and seeing it live helped a lot. I wouldn't mind at all if they chose to play this again for this upcoming tour.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #562 on: January 11, 2022, 08:58:18 PM »
I always thought that Panic Attack would make great entrance music for a wrestler.

Another Day is great though I don't have it quite that high.

Fall into the Light is also great, and looking at my list I have it in the 60s. Wouldn't have thought it would have fallen that low using the ranking engine.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #563 on: January 11, 2022, 09:53:26 PM »
45. Another Day  - didnt make my top 100. Its beautiful and a nice song. A ballad, and I dont have an emotional attachment to it, so again, just want to listen to other songs more.

44. Fall Into the Light.  - 35...Like this one!  I could not wait to hear this live! The solo is one of those that really gets me. I wanted it to be longer. Listening to Distant Memories, and hearing the crowd sing the middle, (I was there! ) was so good.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #564 on: January 12, 2022, 07:13:02 AM »
I have to admit, I do not enjoy Fall Into the Light as much as others do (it did not rank for me, by far my least favorite on that album).
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #565 on: January 12, 2022, 09:12:36 AM »
44 Another Day #83

This was the second DT song I've heard and quite surprised me after hearing PMU because the difference of styles. But I loved its pop sensibilities right away!

43 Fall Into The Light #79

To me it's where D/T really begins! Another Metallica/DT esque song that really works all the way through. The acoustic part, the organ solo and that final guitar solo are amazing!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #566 on: January 12, 2022, 10:58:50 AM »
I'm very excited to see what ends up at #1.   There is one song in particular that I know the fanbase raves about but I don't even have in my top 10 (had I done a list) so will be interesting to see where that song lands.   I just can't stomach it being #1 haha. 

I still like it though, just not top 10.   That song is... Octavarium.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #567 on: January 12, 2022, 11:03:09 AM »
It wasn't my #1, but let's just say that it was extremely high on my list.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #568 on: January 12, 2022, 11:05:07 AM »
If my #1 DT song ends up in the Top 5, I'll be satisfied.

But nobody else seems to enjoy The Hovering Soujourn, so I doubt it'll end up in the Top 5...

Offline HOF

« Reply #569 on: January 12, 2022, 11:14:25 AM »
I'm very excited to see what ends up at #1.   There is one song in particular that I know the fanbase raves about but I don't even have in my top 10 (had I done a list) so will be interesting to see where that song lands.   I just can't stomach it being #1 haha. 

I have it at 63.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #570 on: January 12, 2022, 11:19:37 AM »

I have it at 63.

Er..that doesn't add up to 8.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #571 on: January 12, 2022, 11:26:13 AM »
I'm very excited to see what ends up at #1.   There is one song in particular that I know the fanbase raves about, that song is... Octavarium.

It tops my list.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline HOF

« Reply #572 on: January 12, 2022, 11:28:31 AM »

I have it at 63.

Er..that doesn't add up to 8.

No nuggets on my list!

Offline erciccio

« Reply #573 on: January 12, 2022, 11:49:48 AM »
Fall into the light: no rank! I really really love the middle section, but I find the rest of the song quite lame. I love Metallica, but I don't like Dream Theater mimicking them! (but I do love Dream Theater when they mimic Metallica that mimics Morricone!)

Antoher Day: 25. Just the perfect power-prog-rock ballad, with an amazing performance by James. It was my wife's cell ringtone for a few years...

As concerns my #1...it has a "v" in the title, but not an "m".

Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #574 on: January 12, 2022, 12:02:22 PM »

I have it at 63.
:mehlin
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #575 on: January 12, 2022, 12:03:23 PM »
Fall into the light: no rank! I really really love the middle section, but I find the rest of the song quite lame. I love Metallica, but I don't like Dream Theater mimicking them! (but I do love Dream Theater when they mimic Metallica that mimics Morricone!)

Antoher Day: 25. Just the perfect power-prog-rock ballad, with an amazing performance by James. It was my wife's cell ringtone for a few years...

I like the sound of that! and with Another Day being in your top 25 I think I know where your head is at.   If so, I approve that!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #576 on: January 12, 2022, 02:55:42 PM »

I'd expect Learning to Live will top a few lists.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: January 12, 2022, 02:57:20 PM »

I have it at 63.

This blows my mind.  But I have TDS as number 1 so I'll shut up.

Offline HOF

« Reply #578 on: January 12, 2022, 03:13:08 PM »

I have it at 63.

This blows my mind.  But I have TDS as number 1 so I'll shut up.

I get why people like Octavarium. It has are some really cool parts. But I'm surprised it isn't more divisive than it seems to be. It has some parts that come off to me as unintentionally comedic, including the name itself which always made me face palm a bit.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #579 on: January 12, 2022, 03:39:39 PM »
Of four songs I expect to rank pretty high, two were not on my list. One was at 99 and one at 43.

Another Day I had at #33, so its placement here feels slightly too low. I had Fall Into the Light at #88. A top 50 DT song definitely isn't right, but apparently it is in this list :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #580 on: January 12, 2022, 04:04:37 PM »
46 The Great Debate
I had this at #94

This isn't really one of my go to songs. For some reason it seems like a lot to get through. It's really not and there's nothing I don't like about it.

45 Panic Attack
I had this at #30

Great tune. Love to air drum to it. The instrumental section is ecxellent, closing out with the Maiden section. Sen this live a couple of times and it never disappoints.

44 Another Day
I had this at #59

Been listening a lot to the I&W live Era this week. I didn't rate Another Day as high, but it's an excellent song. James is spectacular on it. He even hangs quite well on the live versions from this era. It's a beautiful piece of music. I feel like This Is The Life came from a similar place.

43 Fall into the Light
I had this at #21

One of my favorite MM Era tracks. Hell, it's one of my favorite DT tracks. It's heavy, but not to heavy. The middle part is great and JP rips this up, especially in the outro.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #581 on: January 12, 2022, 07:33:49 PM »

I have it at 63.

And that wasn't even the lowest placement that Octavarium got...

But hey, let's wait till it gets featured to really debate it, eh? :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #582 on: January 12, 2022, 07:40:30 PM »
Today's two!!

42 Hell’s Kitchen
Appeared on 20 of 26 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 7 (AnotherDimension)

I had this at 24, so naturally I think 42 is way too low.  How this was left off six lists is a total mystery to me.

41 These Walls
Appeared on 21 of 26 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 1
Highest Ranking: 5 (marztacy)

Good song, but this feels waaaaaaaaaaaay too high.  I had it at 98. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #583 on: January 12, 2022, 07:48:09 PM »
Hell's Kitchen
I didn't rate this. I don't know. I think it builds nicely, but it feels incomplete. I honestly cannot understand how high this is ranked.

41...These Walls
I had this at #68, but even that seems high. I had just watched Romeavariun in the days before ranking and I quite enjoyed it.

Offline HOF

« Reply #584 on: January 12, 2022, 07:55:42 PM »
I had Hell’s Kitchen at 8, but I’m thrilled to see I wasn’t the high person on it! I wouldn’t have expected a top 50 finish for it, really, so 42 is a pleasant surprise. Definitely my favorite DT instrumental. So much atmosphere in the first half, and one of my favorite moments from JP. It’s also one of my favorite MP drum parts. I feel like FII is the last album where he really seemed to map out and orchestrate his drum parts. This one is just really well put together and fun to watch him play on his instructional video.

I have These Walls down at 74. It’s an inoffensive but totally vanilla rock song by DT standards. For comparison, I have the much more maligned You Not Me at 58. It’s hard for me to imagine it outpacing songs like 6:00 and Innocence Faded by so much, but the people have spoken! I guess the one somewhat interesting thing about it is the kind of Police-like verses, which is kind of unique in terms of DT songs at least.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 08:02:28 PM by HOF »

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #585 on: January 12, 2022, 08:04:40 PM »
These walls at 41 is way too high!   I know people like it though so I’m not that surprised.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #586 on: January 12, 2022, 10:38:49 PM »
My Hell's Kitchen story... So the first time I watched the Budokan DVD, and they got to the Instrumedley, I thought it was awesome. I was loving the video and this was sounded like it was going to be a great addition. Then they got to some weird-ass songs I didn't recognize, because I didn't listen to LTE. I think I had to find out from the net what they were). Then they played another song I didn't know, but it sounded awesome and I wondered what the heck it was. Then I saw the FII album cover on the stage video screen and thought "Is this song from FII?!" It had been so long since I listened to that album, and when I did I only listened to a couple songs, I didn't even recognize HK. Now I like it, it's just an average instrumental wedged in the middle of the worst part of a bottom tier album. #80

These Walls is mundane, if offensive. Didn't make my list.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline erciccio

« Reply #587 on: January 12, 2022, 11:36:58 PM »
Hell's kitchen: 57. Very cool moments within, but overall it sounds a bit incomplete....but that makes sense, it was supposed to be a part of another song...

These walls: no rank. An average Muse song, I barely hear Dream Theater in there...

Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #588 on: January 12, 2022, 11:55:58 PM »
These walls: no rank. An average Muse song, I barely hear Dream Theater in there...

This comment makes absolutely no sense. Do you even know what Muse sounds like, or is it the cool thing to randomly compare every song on Octavarium to that band now?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: January 13, 2022, 04:24:55 AM »

This comment makes absolutely no sense. Do you even know what Muse sounds like, or is it the cool thing to randomly compare every song on Octavarium to that band now?

He must be talking about Never Enough.  :biggrin:

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #590 on: January 13, 2022, 06:45:12 AM »

Someone pointed out on another thread how These Walls actually sounds like Linkin Park's From the Inside, and I cannot unhear it now. So if anything, is more of a tribute to LP than Muse.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #591 on: January 13, 2022, 07:05:28 AM »
44 Another Day #36
43 Fall into the Light #48
42 Hell's Kitchen #28
41 These Walls #50

Not including Hell's Kitchen on a top 100 list is surprising for me. It is such a wonderful piece. As a middle-part of something bigger, but also is gorgious on its own.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #592 on: January 13, 2022, 07:08:35 AM »
50.  Stream of Consciousness (NR)  I rated all their other instrumentals quite highly.  I enjoy the very rare listen, but it should have been streamed down a couple of minutes.

49. Pale Blue Dot (#34)  Great ending to one of my favorite DT albums.  One of their few songs that perhaps could have been a bit longer, but no complaints with the end product.

48. The Killing Hand (#96)   for the 'Marquee' version.  Loved reading the background story in TAC’s review. 

47. The Dance of Eternity (#25)  I finally purchased SFAM and ‘Live Scenes’ in ’06, a few weeks before ‘Score’ (I still hadn’t heard FII or ToT or Budokan).  Not a bad month!!!  Other than a mellow DT disc I made for my wife, I could probably count on one hand the amount of times I’ve listened to the studio version of TSCO without hearing this and ‘One Last Time’ together. Thus its high rating.  The piano at 2:33 made me think of the 1920s.  Subtle references to ‘Metropolis’ are fine.  When I hear it now, thanks (?) to ‘Instrumedley’, my mind plays tricks and I almost expect to hear the ending from ‘Hell’s Kitchen’. 

46. The Great Debate (NR) Six Degrees was my first DT purchase in ’03. Disc One was a rough introduction.  Not a fan of the samples and lyrics.  Deleted from my Disc One back then.  Years later, I came across a ‘karaoke’ version, and then this much better version.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYgAGFLHwHg     Replacing the original makes for an interesting evening listen

45. Panic Attack (#40)  I often listen to this, NE, and SS as if it is side two of a vinyl.  Song fits title, title fits song.  On its own on a 'best of', I snip it at 7:30 to cut out the ‘whatever’ ending. 

44. Another Day (#19)  a song that goes from a '10' to an '11' from 2:15 to 3:25.  Wow, that voice!  One of my most memorable moments from the I&W anniversary tour.

43. Fall Into The Light (#11)  the first time where all aspects of a song fell into place from the beginning to the end since ADToE. Blame the instrumental section for me rating it so high.  At first listen to the LP, this had to be that stop and take notice moment for everyone.  It is beautiful, haunting, then kicks axe,  The first best ‘mix’ of Mangini’s drums IMO.  Not sure where I will rate this years from now, but three years later, it still has that new car smell. ;)

42. Hell’s Kitchen (#27) very good on its own.  I ended up giving ‘Burning My Soul’ a crazy high rating just because of its inclusion in the demo.

41. These Walls (#21) I have TALW at 20, and IWBY at 22, so this makes some sense, right?  I always listen to these three together, hence the ratings.  I love MP’s use of cymbals during the main lyric segments.  Not the normal drum fills that one notices, but I did.  Subtle but not 'simple'.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 09:05:41 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline HOF

« Reply #593 on: January 13, 2022, 08:12:24 AM »

46. The Great Debate (NR) Six Degrees was my first DT purchase in ’03. Disc One was a rough introduction.  Not a fan of the samples and lyrics.  Deleted from my Disc One back then.  Years later, I came across a ‘karaoke’ version, and then this much better version.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYgAGFLHwHg     Replacing the original makes for an interesting evening listen

Thanks for sharing that instrumental version. Confirms my suspicions that I'd like TGD better as an instrumental! Probably needs something cut down from the middle because it's pretty long still, but there is a lot of cool stuff going on, including MP's drumming and JP's solo. Without the lyrics, it made me think more of Haken for some reason.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #594 on: January 13, 2022, 10:14:36 AM »
42 Hell’s Kitchen (#41)
I think this instrumental is amazing and I like it much better outside Burning My Soul. By the way, to me, the biggest problem with the studio version of BMS is that they changed that amazing drumming in the chorus of the demo version.

41 These Walls (#24)
I've heard the Linkin Park song that has the comparisions, but I think These Walls is really better and still stays on its own. Well, needles to say due my ranking, I LOVE this song immensely! It has a very unique atmosphere in DT catalogue. The drums work is really great, with a lot of cymbals and space on the first verse and its repetitions. All the instrumentation has a lot of space with less notes and sounds great. Also, excellent outro!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)