Author Topic: Top 100 Dream Theater songs countdown (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 53836 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Top 100 Dream Theater songs countdown (Countdown underway!!)
« Reply #315 on: December 30, 2021, 10:31:07 AM »
I&W and Awake were my two favorite albums by any band when FII was released. And man, about half way through New Millennium, I was afraid this album was going to be the letdown it ultimately was.

-three songs will not finish in the top 50 despite being the number 1 song on someone's list (no spoilers if you think yours is one of them, please)

One of those could be me. I don't have a indisputable "favorite" DT song, the top 5-10 are pretty equal. If asked, I doubt I would say the song I have at #1 is actually my #1 song, but it's how it washed out using the ranking engine, so I just left it there, in part because I knew it wouldn't be that high for anyone else.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #316 on: December 30, 2021, 10:52:11 AM »
90 - New Millenium: (Did Not Rank)

I enjoy the chapman stick and that sitar. But that's about it.

89 - Vacant: (Did Not Rank)

I would rank this together with Stream of Consciousness. It's a nice build-up or prelude to SoC, with it being about a person not being able to be conscious in life, like in a coma. Vacant represents the outsiders views, feelings, and emotions. While SoC represents the person in a coma swimming in the Stream of Consciousness (I'll explain more if this song ends up in the top 100 and I am sure it will).

88 - A Life Left Behind #71

I really enjoy the emotional aspects of this song. It's the moment where Faythe has chosen her path of division to leave behind the life she once knew. Arabelle understands this and knows she can't do much about it as she felt she lost her control of Faythe long before that moment of clarity. I enjoy how the themes of Faythe and Arabelle blend into this emotional song of "I'm waking up"...My ranking does not show or do justice to how much I enjoy this song. It does however show just how much more I love the rest of Dream Theaters songs.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 09:59:17 PM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline HOF

« Reply #317 on: December 30, 2021, 11:46:01 AM »
New Millennium is 17 for me. I love the intro and instrumental section, and I think the chorus is pretty great too. The verses (especially the second one) do hold it back a bit for me. If they lopped that second verse off it would have been perfect.

I have Vacant at 59. It’s a nice little breather on ToT, and kind of a unique song in DT’s catalog. I like it more than love it though.

Also, I have 3 non-album tracks in my top 20.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #318 on: December 30, 2021, 12:38:10 PM »
New Millenium-Nope
Vacant-Nope
A Life Left Behind-Nope

Raw Dog-#80!!!!!! :metal :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #319 on: December 30, 2021, 01:09:44 PM »
New Millenium-Nope
Vacant-Nope
A Life Left Behind-Nope

Jeez, you weren't kidding when you said you've been sick.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #320 on: December 30, 2021, 01:12:48 PM »
New Millenium-Nope
Vacant-Nope
A Life Left Behind-Nope

:lol

What does everyone have against Raw Dog? I think it's  :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #321 on: December 30, 2021, 01:14:48 PM »
I&W and Awake were my two favorite albums by any band when FII was released. And man, about half way through New Millennium, I was afraid this album was going to be the letdown it ultimately was.
I was similar to this.  However, New Millennium was not the disappointment for me.  It was certainly different, but I expected a little different.

The album (with a few high points, to be sure) got much worse after that.  I almost couldn't believe it was the same band.

And Raw Dog is fucking terrible.  If you like it, I'm glad for you. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #322 on: December 30, 2021, 01:18:57 PM »
Hefdaddy is glad for me!      Hefdaddy is glad for me!!     Hefdaddy is glad for me!!!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #323 on: December 30, 2021, 01:27:04 PM »
Raw Dog begins extremely obnoxious, which is why I hadn’t heard it in a long time. But I gave it a re-listen for this experiment, and once you get past that horrible intro, the rest of it is actually pretty cool.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #324 on: December 30, 2021, 01:34:35 PM »
Raw Dog begins extremely obnoxious, which is why I hadn’t heard it in a long time. But I gave it a re-listen for this experiment, and once you get past that horrible intro, the rest of it is actually pretty cool.

Isn't the intro and outro really a nod to King Crimson? I mean, sure, that may explain why it'd be awful, but I don't really mind it. But everything in between is aces.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #325 on: December 30, 2021, 01:56:14 PM »
New Millenium-  #62 - Other than You Not Me, I love FII!

Vacant- not rated.  I like the song, just prefer others more.

A Life Left Behind -   #55 - great song! I discovered DT in Feb 2016 - right after the Astonishing was released. It took a while for me to get it (and seeing it live, totally made it happen). During that time, I was in a re-discovery time of rock/metal music.  I had been raising kids and just was so full and happy, (and tired), that I wasn't listening to this music. But, this kind of music was my first love.... Before I really knew the lyrics to TA, I would think to myself. "I am waking up to my old love of metal music". Then, when I heard these lyrics, it meant even more for me..

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #326 on: December 30, 2021, 02:39:58 PM »
New Millenium-Nope
Vacant-Nope
A Life Left Behind-Nope

Now I know why my brain hurts when I partake in your Roulettes.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #327 on: December 30, 2021, 02:42:58 PM »
New Millenium-Nope
Vacant-Nope
A Life Left Behind-Nope

Now I know why my brain hurts when I partake in your Roulettes.  :lol

Now I know why my ears hurt when you partake in my Roulettes. :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #328 on: December 30, 2021, 02:50:27 PM »
Sorry to be late to the party in comparing my list to what’s been posted thus far. Here’s how my list ranks compared to them thus far:

100 The X Aspect – didn’t make my top 100
99 Never Enough – 27
98 A Savior in the Square – didn’t make my top 100
97 Our New World – didn’t make my top 100
96 Afterlife – didn’t make my top 100
95 Forsaken – 41
94 Through Her Eyes – didn’t make my top 100
93 I Walk Beside You – 82
92 The Looking Glass – didn’t make my top 100
91 To Live Forever – 75

Obviously not many TA tracks made the cut for me, nor did Afterlife which was the only track from WDaDU that didn’t make it. OTOH, I had quite a few non-album tracks that did make the cut, but it seems few of you agree.  :lol

As for the other 2 non-album tracks that made the list, other than ACoS (a given), I would say RtK. If not that one, then S2M. Disappointed that I know it won’t be Bombay Vindaloo, which is an awesome track in my book (#16 for me).

Glad that NE did make the top 100, although just barely! Surprised that TLF didn’t rate higher overall than it did.

Regarding Raw Dog, I’m definitely in the minority that like the track. On my list, it ended up being 96, but I think if I would have taken the time to re-rank everything according to that website (which I didn’t use at all – it’s cool, but I didn’t have the patience for it), it might rank higher than it did.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #329 on: December 30, 2021, 03:49:52 PM »
New Millennium
My ranking: Not ranked (#140). The opening instrumental is pretty good, but after that it's just kind of okay. There's some interesting ideas here (like the "Keep your head up" section after the first chorus) but they don't seem executed particularly well. That said, I'd call this song good. 7/10. You've got a great band when your third-worst song from their discography is a 7/10.

Vacant
My ranking: #97. Very beautiful ballad. Not the best one they've done, but it's still pretty great. I love the emotions being conveyed... It's hollow, yet deeply sad, if that makes sense. That's the feeling I get from it, anyway. Whether listening to it on its own or as a segue into Stream of Consciousness, this is a beautiful and emotional listen.

A Life Left Behind
My ranking: #65. One of the better songs from The Astonishing, though not quite in the top tier of that album. The instrumental that opens the song is great, though my favorite parts come after that. The chorus feels so hopeful, and much like A Savior in the Square (plus quite a few other songs from this album) the music and story are complementing each other very well. So many good moments with this one...

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #330 on: December 30, 2021, 04:48:40 PM »
New Millenium-Nope
Vacant-Nope
A Life Left Behind-Nope

Yes, it's a lost battle, but... Raw Dog #96 :metal
It has entered the top 100 only because I have to left 6 songs from View out :angry: ;)
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: December 30, 2021, 05:03:46 PM »

Isn't the intro and outro really a nod to King Crimson? I mean, sure, that may explain why it'd be awful, but I don't really mind it. But everything in between is aces.

Underrated comment.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #332 on: December 30, 2021, 05:06:00 PM »

That's a keen eye! :lol

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #333 on: December 30, 2021, 05:17:58 PM »

Fair assessment. I agree that the intro is obnoxious, but that’s part of why I love it; it’s just the right amount of obnoxious and heavy to be pleasing to my ears haha. The riffs in the middle of the song are seriously killer, and JP and JR’s solos are some of my favorites they’ve ever done honestly.

My rankings are also partially impacted by how much I enjoy playing the drum parts on each song. I rated the songs based on the overall composition, but certain songs gained some bonus points if I really enjoy playing the drum parts, and Raw Dog is one of those songs.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: December 30, 2021, 08:19:47 PM »

That's a keen eye! :lol

Stuck out instantly to me.  :lol

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #335 on: December 30, 2021, 09:35:13 PM »
90 New Millennium #-
89 Vacant #99
88 A Life Left Behind #-

The Astonishing has so many beautiful moments, but they’re weaved in each other mostly. To me it’s hard to separate them from one another. Sometimes it’s just a part of a song (like a Savior In the Square), sometimes it’s bigger than a song.

New Millennium was fighting You Not Me hard for being the least track of Falling Into Infinity. And although it’s obvious loss, it’s still not as near, being beautiful.

Next to a Change of Seasons I think it would be between Eve and Raise the Knife, who made the list. But being on Score, that might have done it for RtK.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #336 on: December 31, 2021, 07:04:27 AM »
Here is the next batch of five!  All from The Astonishing, and this leaves just one song left from that record that made the top 100. :eek :eek

87 Ravenskill
Appeared on 19 of 26 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 0
Highest Ranking: 23 (KevShmev)

I was the highest on this one and stand by it.  Killer song, one that I feel gets lost in the shuffle for a lot of fans because of how many songs there on that record.

86 The Path That Divides
Highest Ranking: 14 (marztacy)

I don't get the mad love some have for this song, although I do like it. It did not make my top 100.

85 Three Days
Highest Ranking: 30 (geeeemo, Elite)

I had this one at 34, not so not quite the highest, but pretty close.  Love it.  It's amazing how much they pack into 3 minutes and 44 seconds.

84 Moment of Betrayal
Highest Ranking: 45 (erciccio)

I was at 78 on this one. Definitely one of the major highlights of Disc 2 of The Astonishing.

83 The Gift of Music
Highest Ranking: 37 (TAC)

This came at 80 for me, so this ranking seems about right. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #337 on: December 31, 2021, 07:09:44 AM »
That’s an astonishing update, Kev.

Offline HOF

« Reply #338 on: December 31, 2021, 07:14:15 AM »
I have The Gift of Music at 65. It’s a fun tune.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #339 on: December 31, 2021, 07:17:45 AM »
Some fun facts to chew on about the top 100:

-four studio albums have every song from it in the top 100
-the two albums tied for the 2nd most songs in the top 100 are not among the four that have every song featured

After that last update, I believe the four albums with all tracks included will be Awake, Images & Words, 6 Degrees, and Train of Thought, and the 2 that tie for 2nd most songs will be The Astonishing and Scenes. I expected at least a few more than 10 Astonishing songs to make the cut honestly. Seems like a decent amount of my list did not make the cut lol

TPTD and Ravenskill were my highest ranking Astonighing songs at 59 and 60, Three Days landed at 84, Moment of Betrayal was at 98, and Gift of Music did not rank for me, curiously.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 07:28:36 AM by Laughingplace56 »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #340 on: December 31, 2021, 07:48:12 AM »
I'm going to make a guess that Act of Faythe is the last Astonishing song to make the cut, but what do I know.

Three Days was the highest track I ranked from The Astonishing (at #30 indeed) and one of 'only' 7 in my entire list.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #341 on: December 31, 2021, 08:14:50 AM »
The last track from TA has to be A New Beginning!! :metal
Maybe this 10 track selection from TA can make some people apreciate a bit more something from the album.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 08:33:14 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #342 on: December 31, 2021, 08:50:18 AM »
87 Ravenskill

I was the highest on this one and stand by it.  Killer song, one that I feel gets lost in the shuffle for a lot of fans because of how many songs there on that record.

Love that song.  I'll repeat a short story about it:  After one of my listens on my bike ride home from the office (about 23 miles), I either texted or emailed JP (I forget which) and feigned half-serious anger/frustration at how one of the tastiest riffs he has ever composed disappears after four bars, never to be seen again.  He basically laughed and said he'll have to keep that in mind and build a song around it for The Astonishing II.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #343 on: December 31, 2021, 11:35:40 AM »
Maybe this 10 track selection from TA can make some people apreciate a bit more something from the album.

Can’t be anything else . . .

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: December 31, 2021, 02:58:31 PM »
87 Ravenskill

Love that song.  I'll repeat a short story about it:  After one of my listens on my bike ride home from the office (about 23 miles), I either texted or emailed JP (I forget which) and feigned half-serious anger/frustration at how one of the tastiest riffs he has ever composed disappears after four bars, never to be seen again.  He basically laughed and said he'll have to keep that in mind and build a song around it for The Astonishing II.  :lol

Besides the comments in this thread (and others), this is one of the main reasons I love this forum.  Knowledge 'from the inside' and shared makes this all worth while :tup
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #345 on: December 31, 2021, 05:40:14 PM »
87 Ravenskill.  47. So good. It is an importantant part of the story. For love, saving Gabriel and the spark to restore Nepharyus. I love the atmosphere, that middle riff and the drama.

86 The Path That Divides. 61. Another great moment of the story. And some of the most intense parts. The music is heavy and interesting and James is fab.

85 Three Days.  30
 I have loved this song since the first moment I heard it. Many of the songs took a while to digest and figure out which character was speaking and what was happeing in the story. I'll also always remember seeing James performance. (My first show and new to DT) He was Neparyuas to me when he sang it.. When I really became hooked! I love the melodrama aspect of Nepharyus' theme. The song is fun, heavy, and my ringtone.  :biggrin:

84 Moment of Betrayal. 51 Another great rocker. I played this over and over when I first heard it. Its a good stand alone song.

83 The Gift of Music. Mot rated. I dont care for this song as much as most of the rest of the record. But dislike Our New World even more. And even more when Lzzy Hale performed with James. I  was there right up front.

13 TA songs made my top.100.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 11:35:56 PM by geeeemo »

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #346 on: December 31, 2021, 08:24:56 PM »
87 Ravenskill

Astonishing Pt. II: Scenes From Ravenskill confirmed

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #347 on: December 31, 2021, 11:09:13 PM »
87 Ravenskill #74
86 the Path That Divides #82
85 Three Days #-
84 Moment of Betrayal #-
83 the Gift of Music #66

Wouldn't be too sure, the Answer, When Your Time Has Come, Chosen, Brother, Can You Here Me and even the Road to Revolution might be ending up as a winner, as well.But still it's hard to separate the tracks from one another. There's just so many goods inside the Astonishing. From my own top 100-list it's likely Dystopian Overture, Act of Faythe and the gorgious emotional one-two Whispers On the Wind and Hymn of a Thousand Voices didn't make it.

Ravenskill however has - to me - LaBrie's finest moment of the Astonishing, when he reaches that higher "he sees humanity behind the stranger's eyes."
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #348 on: January 01, 2022, 07:20:45 AM »
If I had 4 minutes to show someone what Dream Theater was about, I hand them The Gift Of Music.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #349 on: January 01, 2022, 08:07:38 AM »
Let's start off the new year this morning with three, one that would be in my bottom 5 and then two I feel are underrated.

82 Constant Motion
Appeared on 17 of 26 entrees
Highest Ranking: 22 (Laughingplace56)

I am not going to lie: every time I went through a list and saw this appeared on one, I rolled my eyes, especially once I realized that it was getting enough votes to make the top 100.

81 Honor Thy Father
Appeared on 16 of 26 entrees
Highest Ranking: 19 (wolfking)

I had this one at 53, so, yeah, it is big time underrated if you ask me.  This is one of their most balls-to-the-wall rocking songs ever.

80 The Silent Man
Appeared on 16 of 26 entrees
Highest Ranking: 22 (HOF)

I had this at 29, and it is worth noting that if A Mind Beside Itself had been counted as a single song for the purposes of this, it would have been number 1, so that shows how highly I think of all three parts of it.  This song is criminally underrated.