Author Topic: Top 100 Dream Theater songs countdown (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 53301 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Top 100 Dream Theater songs countdown (Top 20 underway!!)
« Reply #875 on: January 26, 2022, 06:56:08 AM »
16 Bridges in the Sky
Appeared on 26 of 26 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 5
Highest Ranking: 6 (NoFred)

I had Bridges In The Sky at #41. It's a beast live. I love how when they opened with it, after the bombastic opening, about 35 seconds in, they go right to work on an intricate pattern. I always thought that was cool as shit. Shocked that we got to the #16 song before we had our first unanimous choice. My biggest gripe about the song though is that the final vocal part felt like kind of a letdown. I wanted James to hit an epic ending, but he goes out with a wimper. Similar to the new album's title track.

15 Surrounded
Appeared on 25 of 26 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 5
Highest Ranking: 4 (Elite)

This is a great song with a fantastic vocal by James. I had this at #29.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #876 on: January 26, 2022, 07:17:20 AM »
Oh, wow, Bridges in the Sky is ok, but it’s kind of amazing that it’s unanimous. I have it at 87.

Surrounded is really wonderful, and the second highest from I&W on my list at 13. Definitely one that I still find rewarding despite having heard I&W a million times. The lighter side of DT, but still has that heavier instrumental section with a solo that really shreds. A lot of great keyboard work from Kevin, great singing from James as well.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #877 on: January 26, 2022, 07:39:00 AM »
18 Fatal Tragedy (#25) - If you consider together with Through My Words, this scene is the most representative of the overall style of Scenes. It's an amazing song with one of the best instrumental sections from their discography.

17 Lines in the Sand (#4) - It's really an "one and only" DT song, they never would sound so jazzy again like this. Since it's a bit controversial, I must say that I'm very found of Dug's singing on the chorus.

16 Bridges in the Sky (#18) - Epic, killer song with a killer solo/instrumental (it's a detail, but I LOVE how Mangini uses de picollo snare drum in the middle of it). As for all ADTOE, imagine this song with punchy drums on it...

15 Surrounded (#85) - Really really like this song, it's just that the more melodic DT side overall stays behind the epic and heavy sides to me, hence its lower ranking. I love the Live at the Marquee version, not only because the amazing energy of it, but also because of 2 minor details: the sound of piano replacing that more dated keyboard patch at the beginning and the splashes cymbals that MP added around 2:38 and 3:36 mark.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #878 on: January 26, 2022, 07:41:56 AM »
I had Fatal Tragedy at 50. It’s one of those songs where when I think about it I feel indifferent about it, but when I hear it I’m reminded it’s fucking awesome. I think the first half drags a bit for me, but the instrument is killer, especially live.

Lines in the Sand came at 25. I’ve always liked this song but it’s really begun to resonate with me the last 2 years. The solo is amazing and the main riff is such a fun groove (like a lot of FII; it was such a fun album honestly)

Bridges in the Sky is #8 for me. What a fucking song. How this song didn’t open the album is beyond me. Epic opening with the throat singing right into a killer open 7th string groove with the bass and drums following, right into one of my favorite DT riffs, into that classic DT technical bit and back to the riff to go to the first verse? Perfection. Love the structure of this song and there is no weak moment for me. Really hope they play this live for a full tour again.

Surrounded came in at 32 for me. Super positive, happy vibes with this song. Listening to it now I may have even ranked it too low!

Offline HOF

« Reply #879 on: January 26, 2022, 07:43:39 AM »
18 Fatal Tragedy (#25) - If you consider together with Through My Words, this scene is the most representative of the overall style of Scenes. It's an amazing song with one of the best instrumental sections from their discography.

17 Lines in the Sand (#4) - It's really an "one and only" DT song, they never would sound so jazzy again like this. Since it's a bit controversial, I must say that I'm very found of Dug's singing on the chorus.

16 Bridges in the Sky (#18) - Epic, killer song with a killer solo/instrumental (it's a detail, but I LOVE how Mangini uses de picollo snare drum in the middle of it). As for all ADTOE, imagine this song with punchy drums on it...

15 Surrounded (#85) - Really really like this song, it's just that the more melodic DT side overall stays behind the epic and heavy sides to me, hence its lower ranking. I love the Live at the Marquee version, not only because the amazing energy of it, but also because of 2 minor details: the sound of piano replacing that more dated keyboard patch at the beginning and the splashes cymbals that MP added around 2:38 and 3:36 mark.

Amazing how you and I have Surrounded and Bridges in the Sky essentially flipped around in our rankings, but we agree on Lines in the Sand!

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #880 on: January 26, 2022, 08:08:13 AM »
Cool! It makes sense if you consider Surrounded and BITS being more or less in opposite sides in the spectrum of DT style.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #881 on: January 26, 2022, 12:42:19 PM »
18 Fatal Tragedy #
17 Lines In the Sand #24
16 Bridges In the Sky #8
15 Surrounded #32

Fatal Tragedy I did not rank 'cause being lifted out of Scenes as a stand-alone, it's good, but not a song I visit often. It needs the concept of Scenes I guess and especially LaBrie's narrative-way of delivering, I do not like that much in particular.

Bridges In the Sky is a top 10 for me. Wonderful track and the chorus I sing often, all of a sudden, like being in the shower or so. LaBrie shines and really sounds epic. I also like Petrucci's lyrical phrase "I will not grow in the light, until I pass through the darkest corners of my heart." It's a sentence he expands on in the Surrender, Trust & Passion-part of Illumination Theory.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #882 on: January 26, 2022, 12:52:57 PM »
Had Bridges at 69 and had Surrounded at 57.  I'm a little surprised both ranked so high.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #883 on: January 26, 2022, 01:42:29 PM »
16. Bridges In the Sky  (#23)
Perfect opener after the ‘Dream Is Collapsing’ tape on that tour.  I do delete the beginning ‘groans’, which is probably why I don’t rate it even higher.  My wife really loves the music, we do change the one lyric to ‘someone’ instead of ‘shaman’, and we always have to make one remark during every listen about how it sounds as if James is singing ‘make killing waters bury all my pain’.

I’m with TAC as to the ‘take my hand’ singing, wishing the ‘style’ was reversed during the choruses. But, then again, it’s Dream Theater, so they didn’t.  I will admit it would be nice to hear them reversed on some sort of a demo issue.

In total agreement with Kev in remarks as to DT being 'back / still here' with this song. With inspiring lyrics, no filler, and never feels like it is an eleven minute song. Enjoyable from start to finish.

(btw…I can’t wait to read jammindude’s review)

12. Surrounded  (#15) someone on this forum years ago mentioned how the beginning synth is a copy/homage of the beginning of Queen’s ‘Father To Son’ (next to BoRhap, ‘Procession/Father to Son’ is (are) my next favorite Queen song/s).  I never had noticed until reading that, always loved this from the get go, as to lyrics, melodies, etc etc. before then, but totally took notice of it afterwards.  No complaints about that, as well as what follows.

And, how 'bout that, yet another 'ballad' where I didn't rank it higher than others ;)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 04:51:04 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #884 on: January 26, 2022, 04:17:50 PM »
GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY!!!

My wife had knee replacement surgery yesterday.  We spent so much time and energy getting ready for it and now so much attention to her recovery that time is just racing by me. 

But I'm working from home today, so there's a bit of a timeout to finally do my catch up post.

30. Beyond This Life - Me #4

It's no secret that I have LONG held that this is the greatest song from SFAM.   I absolutely ADORE this track and especially the "Zappa" instrumental section that seems to be so controversial.   What's more is that I think the extended version from LAB might be DT's greatest live moment of all time.  I'm just sad that it didn't rank even higher. (although I was a bit surprised that at least one person rated it higher than I did...good call)

29. Under a Glass Moon - Me #13

Still IMO JP's greatest ever guitar solo...studio or live.  I think it's the "backsweep" near the middle that nails it for me.   But the entire thing is just pure gold.   I don't often pay attention to guitar solos, but that particular one is just jaw-dropping from beginning to end.  The main body of the song is a perfect balance of groove and off-kilter timing that sucked me into DT fandom almost instantly

28. The Spirit Carries On - Me #66

It's such a beautiful ballad.  And it's perfectly placed in the story of SFAM.   I probably should have placed it higher...but it almost seems a bit overplayed and maybe even a bit "kitchy" at times.   I have to be in the mood for it.

27. Pull Me Under - Me #17

It's hard to forget your first love.   This is still a great goto song when trying to introduce someone to Dream Theater.   I have to admit that the drum sound does sound a bit "dated" on IAW these days...but the songs are there, and they are what they are...because the non-triggered version on the greatest hits album (which I thought would be an improvement) just didn't sound right at all.

26. Take the Time - Me #9

I think this song was THE moment that I knew I was listening to something especially special.   ;D  Because my buddy while I was working at Tower Records was hyping this album to the hilt.   When I heard PMU, I loved it and I knew they could bring the "balls and chunk", then AD showed that they were very dynamic and could go from "metal" to "smooth jazz" in a single song, so that was cool.   But then when TTT kicked in and it had a completely different vibe from the first two tracks, I immediately thought "Ya...*this* album is definitely a keeper.  And this band is going to be the next band I fall in love with."

25. In the Presence of Enemies - Me #70

On my first two attempts, this song didn't even rank at all.   But I re-listened before my third try and remembered how really fantastic Part 1 is.   It's really just part 2 that brings it down.    It is still by far their worst epic.   

24. Strange Deja Vu - Me #27

Perfect proper beginning to one of the greatest concept albums in prog rock history! I'll never forget when I *FINALLY* got my in-store play copy after playing the 4-song pre-release for weeks.  I hardly got any work done because I was just completely blown away.  After already following the band for over 6 years, and knowing the crap they had been through over the previous 3, to hear them hit it out of the park like this was a listening experience I will never forget.

23. Illumination Theory - Me #21

Such a gorgeous track.   To some, it is disjointed.  But I think that, given the theme, it is perfectly crafted.  I would love to see DT do another show with an orchestra JUST so we could see the beautiful string section recreated live.   I get why they did the tape thing on the tour, but it would be cool to see it completely live someday.

22. Blind Faith - Me #97

This is a really solid song.   Just doesn't strike me the way so many other DT songs do.   I guess I'm in the minority in feeling like SDOIT is a "solid but flawed" effort.   TGP and the title track both made my top 11.   But out of the other 4 songs, 2 are in the 90s and the other two didn't rank at all.  But I still consider Blind Faith and Misunderstood to be rock solid DT tunes.

21. Space Dye Vest - Me #64

LOVE this song and I'm surprised it didn't make my top 50.  To me, it's the perfect introduction to KM's solo material.  (Dead Air For Radios is without a doubt on my "desert island album" list)   And the idea that it would have been left off Awake if they had known Kevin was leaving is just ludicrous to me.   Awake just ending on Scarred fading out?    Can't picture it at all.  This makes a perfect "soliloquy" to an amazing album.

20. At Wit's End - Me #40

Certainly a standout from Distance Over Time.  Even though I've been back and forth on the pros and cons of TA...it was nice to hear DT be DT again.   This is a bit of an uneven album in retrospect, but the highs are very high, and this is one of those highs.

19. The Mirror - Me #16

I usually say that this is my favorite song from Awake, but that's probably just me overhyping the underdog.   Because when it came right down to it, I ranked Scarred and Voices a bit higher.  But I still say this is definitely the most underrated song from Awake.  It's only flaw is that is intrinsically tied to the worst song from Awake (Lie).   I much prefer the version from LSFNY that combines the song and the "Lie-outro" into a single piece, omitting Lie completely.   I used Audacity to make a studio version of the exact same thing, and burned it as an intro track to my 12SS mix CD.

18. Fatal Tragedy - Me #15

Everytime I burn a mix CD to introduce a friend to DT, this is always an immediate goto track.  It's got a great mix of styles (love the Brian May-nod) and yet the song is fairly short and easily digestible while still showing off what talented musicians they all are.   A great example of "everything DT is about" in a slightly smaller than usual package.

17. Lines in the Sand - Did not rank...came in at #105

Definitely one of the most overrated songs in DT's history.   The intro is pretty cool, but never cared for that chorus at all.   I'm a BIG Doug Pinnick fan, so when I heard he was making a guest appearance, I was really hyped.   But some ideas sound better on paper than they turn out to be in real life.  This is just not one of DT's better songs, and the entire album would have been much improved if they had subbed out Raise the Knife instead. 

16. Bridges in the Sky - Me #26

I wish they would have kept the original title (Shaman's...something...was it Shaman's Dance?) because I think that fits the feel of the song better.   But nevertheless, this song is spectacular and having it open the set on the ADTOE tour was PERFECT. 

15. Surrounded - Me #38

Love the main beat of this song.   Heck, just going through this top 100 reminds me every time of how giddy I was about every single song from IAW.   It's like falling in love with that album all over again.  Probably one of my favorite moments is how the second verse is so different in delivery from the first verse.  And the "light to dark, dark to light, light to dark, dark to light" just gives me goosebumps every single time.   What a beautiful way to close out the first half of that album. 

WHEW!!!  I did it!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #886 on: January 26, 2022, 04:35:25 PM »
My wife had knee replacement surgery yesterday.  We spent so much time and energy getting ready for it and now so much attention to her recovery that time is just racing by me. 

Yikes! Hope everything is going OK with that.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #887 on: January 26, 2022, 04:54:02 PM »
GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY!!!

My mom just had the same surgery a week ago, so I understand what you are going through. Wishing your wife a quick recovery  :tup
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online geeeemo

« Reply #888 on: January 26, 2022, 05:18:56 PM »
#18 Fatal Tragedy  -  8.   Part of a run of my favorite DT music. I love the heavy rockers!

#17 Lines In the Sand  -  18.  Like all of FIF, I love the groovy sound. Lines is a top song. The live versions are fab.

#16 Bridges In the Sky  -  13.  Just a very cool song with an interesting concept.  I always think of the Clan of the Cave bear book. (book WAY better than the movie, which was so awful, I didn't watch). The shaman takes some sort of hallucinogen to get deep into his mind, and then can better advise the clan.

#15 Surrounded  - 58.  It's beautiful.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #889 on: January 26, 2022, 05:36:30 PM »
Thank you to all! My wife is currently very very sore, but the doctor said that the operation went exactly according to spec. “Boring…in a good way” were the doctors words.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #890 on: January 26, 2022, 06:02:41 PM »
I have Bridges at #14. Not sure it should be that high, definitely Top 25 material.

Surrounded I have at #47. It's a great song, just not something I'd put in their Top 40. #15 seems way too high.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online NoFred

« Reply #891 on: January 26, 2022, 11:08:32 PM »
16. Bridges in the Sky, tops at #6 for me, both my first favorite off of ADTOE and their best live opener, how it this not a set list staple? I have no idea.

15. Surrounded, NR… my fault I didn’t include it when ranking. Chose to drop a few songs from each album to make things more interesting. Fantastic song. Top 20 does feel like it’s taking a spot away from something not from I&W.

Offline 425

« Reply #892 on: January 26, 2022, 11:18:33 PM »
I've fallen behind again, so here's my catchup. #20-15 see two of my top ten drop, and then a few songs that I like a lot but don't put in the category of elite.

20. At Wit's End
My ranking: #66

I think is a really good song, though I'm not over the moon about it to the degree that others evidently are. This stands right now as my second favorite on DoT, behind Fall into the Light, but I could see it outpacing that one over time. It's a song I feel I don't fully "get" yet, even though it's been out for close to three years now. Like Revenge319, I think the first half of the song is merely "good," but the second half is really, really strong, both vocally and instrumentally.

19. The Mirror
My ranking: #63

It's only really come to my attention recently just how beloved this song is around here. If it wasn't for the survivor, I think I would have been surprised to see this one in the top 20, but because of its performance there, I expected this.

I think it's a very good song, like most of Awake. Kevin Moore was really good at pairing melodic and atmospheric keyboards with heavy riffs, and this song definitely shows that off. And JLB pulls off a really powerful performance. It's just not quite in that elite top 50 group, for me.

18. Fatal Tragedy
My ranking: #67

Another big-time fan favorite that I think is quite good, but just don't quite "get." To me, this is among the weaker songs on a superb album. I have it 9th on the album, only ahead of Regression and the Throughs. I think the reason is that I find the vocal melodies to be less excellent than the other SFAM songs.

That said, I'll fully acknowledge that this is an excellent song instrumentally. There's a lot of cool stuff in the instrumental section, and a lot of subtle things Jordan does all over the song that elevate it. I really like how octane it gets in the last minute.

17. Lines in the Sand
My ranking: #8

Now we're talking! This is an amazing song that has just grown more and more on me over the years. I like how jazzy and groovy this one gets while still maintaining a pretty tight structure. One of my favorite things in music is a build-up, and there are tons of build-ups in this song. There's the build in each section from the relatively quiet verse to the mounting tension in the prechorus, to the huge chorus. Then there's the overall build from the slowly mounting intro through the second chorus and the short instrumental break after it. And finally the build from the quiet JP solo through the end.

That JP solo is something else. One of his best, IMO. Especially starting at 6:25 when it picks up a bit. The whole second half of the song, from the JP solo to the end, is transcendent. The "We fabricate our demons" verse is a fine, fine hour for James. Then things are just electric as we build up through that awesome instrumental part to the verse again and head for the final huge chorus.

There's only one disappointment, and it's the thing I would choose if I could make just one change to FII. Add Raise the Knife, remove You Not Me? No. Restore the "Baptized, enlightened" section to Lines in the Sand. That part is pure brilliance, adding one more section of epic build-up to get from the verse to the chorus. I love the live versions that restore that section. But I prefer Dug Pinnick's vocals on the chorus, so... my kingdom for a version that has both him and that one little section.

Still, an amazing, amazing song. Says something that I love it this much, and it's only #8.

16. Bridges in the Sky
My ranking: #49

I had this a couple of spots ahead of Outcry, but after the discussion of Outcry earlier in the thread, I changed my mind, and now would have Outcry a little ahead of this. But they're both really good songs, and, interestingly, really different songs, despite being adjacent on the album and 23 seconds different in length.

I think Bridges in the Sky is the song that suffers the most from the dubious production ADTOE. This song is supposed to be heavy and have a lot of oomph to it, and the ADTOE mix just drains it of all that. Luna Park is a definite improvement, and when this song is at its full potential, it's really good. A lot of good riffs, and a great flow to all the vocal melodies. And, of course, a great instrumental section. This is the song where I first really paid attention to JLB's ability to add a bit of subtle grit to elevate a part—"May healing waters bury all my pain."

15. Surrounded
My ranking: #6

This song is incredible. Kev said it really well: "No matter where you look, the melodies are jumping out of the speakers at you." This song is so bright, lush, and beautiful. The lyrics are solemn yet uplifting. It's tied with Wait for Sleep as my favorite KM lyric, and I think it's a spiritual sibling (the scene is someone lying awake at night and looking out the window, but there's a deep spiritual significance to the moment). I've always loved the Images and Words album art, though in the vacuum it isn't perfect, because it just captures the emotional tenor of the album incredibly well. And this is the song that is the album art, to me.

JLB is just incredible, incredible, incredible on this one. I really like that almost none of the vocal parts repeats, so there's a clear sense of forward motion, and he just takes you by the hand and leads you on this adventure. When repetition does come, it's unexpected and just indescribably wonderful ("Light to dark, dark to light"). JP's playing here is so melodic all the time (that first lead when the guitar first comes in, all of it. KM's piano intro and outro are beautiful. Everything I could possibly want in a song is pretty much here.

This song is a masterpiece. And it's, uh, definitely not my favorite on the album, which goes to show the esteem in which I hold IAW. (You've already seen that I put Wait for Sleep one spot above it. That's not my favorite on the album, either.)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 11:25:41 PM by 425 »
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline jammindude

« Reply #893 on: January 26, 2022, 11:36:22 PM »
DA! You skip the throat singing at the beginning of BITS? That intro is BADASS! You’re missing the entire emotional setup! For shame!   :metal :metal :laugh: :angel:

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #894 on: January 27, 2022, 12:17:29 AM »
16 Bridges In The Sky  #51

What can I say about this song...https://youtu.be/GKCl684RFT0....This video is what this song is about. It's an excellent song and I would not mind at all if they played it live. I love how heavy it is, yet that fits the vibe of the meaning. The second chorus is really beautiful. The meaning of this does fit the title of the album, as the experience is dramatic yet it's for the better, as the person is there to get healed. It makes the following songs on the album have a greater impact, especially Breaking All Illusions. The Gregorian Chant sample is perfect and I love it.

15 Surrounded  #8

This song is a really beautiful and uplifting song. I love how it starts and then just keeps going until it hits it's peak ending on a calm note. I was really excited for this song when I saw it in Dallas, the last stop of the entire tour. I wish there was a recording of the entire song and also Learning to Live from this show.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #895 on: January 27, 2022, 01:05:25 AM »
16 Bridges In The Sky  #51
What can I say about this song...https://youtu.be/GKCl684RFT0....This video is what this song is about. It's an excellent song and I would not mind at all if they played it live. I love how heavy it is, yet that fits the vibe of the meaning. The second chorus is really beautiful. The meaning of this does fit the title of the album, as the experience is dramatic yet it's for the better, as the person is there to get healed. It makes the following songs on the album have a greater impact, especially Breaking All Illusions. The Gregorian Chant sample is perfect and I love it.

Now that link above made me appreciate the piece even more. Brilliance drops all over the floor from it.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #896 on: January 27, 2022, 01:16:09 AM »
Bridges in the Sky
My ranking: #46. For as much as I like this song, I'm having a hard time finding much to say about it at the moment. For now, I'll at least say that this has one of the best choruses in any Dream Theater song. It's full of emotion and it sounds so great to listen to.

Surrounded
My ranking: #21. This is my favorite song off of Images and Words. I love it so much, that it actually used to be in my Top 10! It's filled with a very uplifting mood, it's very melodic, and James has so many great vocal moments on this song. I can barely think of any other Dream Theater song (that isn't on The Astonishing) that has such a happy vibe to it.

Offline erciccio

« Reply #897 on: January 27, 2022, 02:26:32 AM »
So...14 left...

7 out of these are in my top 7!
3 in my top 11-16
3 in my 21-60
1 out of my 100

I had

Surrounded #17, great song, but only at 6th place in my I&W ranking! I really love the initial and final melodies (The "I know it's easier" section is always very touching, when the audience sings it during the live shows!), and the main 9/8 riffs and melodies...such a great "weird yet fluent" piece of music

Bridges in the SKy #23 one of the best chourses by Dream Theater, mixed with some cool experimental sections...brave, groovy and melodic at the same time!

Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #898 on: January 27, 2022, 05:58:36 AM »
Here we go with the next two!

14 The Count of Tuscany
Appeared on 24 of 26 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 9
Highest Ranking: 2 (AnotherDimension, geeeemo, BRGM)

Great song musically.  I only it had at 39 because the lyrics are so poor, though.  With even solid lyrics, this might have been 10-20 spots higher for me. Still a damn good song, because the music is so great.

13 The Glass Prison
Appeared on 23 of 26 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 8
Highest Ranking: 1 (Laughingplace56)

This is one that was top 25 for me for a while, but landed it at 42 this time.  Still a great song, but some have just aged a little better for me. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #899 on: January 27, 2022, 07:43:08 AM »
The Count of Tuscany has a great intro, but then… it just made the list at 99.

The Glass Prison is fun on a certain level, and it came in at 69. In my mind though it started the trend of DT going heavier and more over the top with each release. The 12 Step Suite was frustrating for me n general. It took up space on five different releases, and was a big contributor to my loss of interest in the band in that period.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #900 on: January 27, 2022, 07:44:50 AM »
The Count of Tuscany landed at 79 for me, and that was me being generous. It could have easily fallen off the top 100. It is fine piece but I never understood the love for it. It was the first Epic I saw live during the 09 tour, and it was fine but idk, just bottom of the epics for me along with IT. Just not my thing I guess.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #901 on: January 27, 2022, 08:44:41 AM »
14. The Count of Tuscany (#78)
Low due to the lyrics.  Terrific intro, and the 'spacey' final eight minutes or so gets me every time.

13. The Glass Prison (NR)
My introduction to DT on stage and then my first purchase.  Terrific opening, but there are moments scattered throughout that I found unappealing.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 12:19:01 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline erciccio

« Reply #902 on: January 27, 2022, 08:53:08 AM »
The Count of Tuscany: 59 for me, nice epic but there's nothing I really love in it...the outro is cool, but a bit too "basic" for Dream Theater standards

The Glass Prison: NR I am glad I'm not the only one... :biggrin: I think the intro is fantastic, the arpeggios are very interesting and the initial riff is cool and groovy, but after the 3'00" mark it's just a complete disaster for my tastes...some melodies are close to cacophonous, and the instrumental section is just boring...

Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #903 on: January 27, 2022, 09:53:57 AM »
The Count of Tuscany was my #4. It was the first 15+ minute song that connected with me when I started listening to DT. I’ve mentioned earlier in this thread that DT’s lyrics aren’t the strongest in general imo, and I pay more attention to the music and the vocal phrases/melodies than to the actual words, so the cheesy lyrics don’t bother me too much. The music in this song is just phenomenal. I love it when JP plays that spacey, atmospheric effect on the guitar like in the solo break. The intro is gorgeous, the verse main riff is a lot of fun, I think the vocal melody in the chorus is really catchy, and the ending is epic. All around incredible song that could even be my #1 on some days.

Ranking DT songs has become impossible to do accurately. With so many excellent songs in their catalog, over time my top 25 songs have become interchangeable; what song I consider to be my favorite solely depends on my mood at the time. I’ve long regarded that The Glass Prison is my favorite song of theirs, and the ranking engine gave me that same result. This song has one of the most epic intros they’ve ever produced; the ringing bell above the static going into the bass line is such a great way to open an album. The main 3 riffs throughout the song are all killer. The best part of the song is the final section; that fast, proggy riff is an awesome background for the solos and keeps that section driving, and JP’s second solo is still my favorite of his ever. The endless instrumental section after the solos is everything great about DT: heavy, proggy, and just plain fun. JLB and MP really nail the ending on vocals and drums, and ends a 14 min song with a BANG. Forever one of my favorite songs of all time.

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #904 on: January 27, 2022, 11:14:34 AM »
The Count of Tuscany was my #4.

Have it on four as well. It was the first epic I was familiar with and for a while it surely was my #1. Although the lyrics are not topnotch, they're not bad also and I like the actual encouter of it. Besides, Tuscany is a beautiful, somehow mystique landscape, which fits this track really well. The live-edition where Petrucci weaved in a lullaby through the solo is just wonderful. And as you mentioned Laughingplace56... LaBrie ends it with an epic-vocal-solo which is over the moon. Although my top 4 switch places every once in a while, The Count will remain there forever I'll think.

Ranking DT songs has become impossible to do accurately. With so many excellent songs in their catalog, over time my top 25 songs have become interchangeable; what song I consider to be my favorite solely depends on my mood at the time.

I totally agree on what you wrote down. I made a top 100 but along the way its interchangeable in so many places. Like, I heard Scarred on my iPhone this afternoon, on a walk outside and I immediately thought, 'ouch, I should have raised it way higher'. But that's what could happen with so many of their discography. After the 'holy 4', there's The Glass Prison. Partly for being such an unbelievable good piece and a stand-out song overall. I can't hear any churchbells on sunday without playing the intro in my head. But mostly I consider the Twelve Step suite as one of their most gorgious composed musical pieces. And this one is so much of a kick-start.

14 The Count of Tuscany #4
13 The Glass Prison #5

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #905 on: January 27, 2022, 11:18:34 AM »
The Count is a no-go for me, but TGP is awesome.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #906 on: January 27, 2022, 12:20:01 PM »
So, there’s the one I knew would be coming but did not rank (The Count of Tuscany - at #105 and that’s despite me playing along the verses/choruses in the first part on guitar quite often, because that’s fun. Listening to the song just doesn’t interest me at all.

The Glass Prison came in at #21. Cool track, not the best on its album (that was The Great Debate for me), but second best isn’t too bad :) my favourite from the twelve step suite thing, it’s Dream Theater doing heavy quite well here.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online geeeemo

« Reply #907 on: January 27, 2022, 01:04:00 PM »
#14 The Count of Tuscany  - 2.  It has moved up in the last couple years. Really the top 10 or 20 are fluid with the exception of 1. But the top 10 are pretty much the top 10.  I don't agree with the commentary of the lyrics being cheesy. (ok one line... a tad) They paint a great picture for me and I was able to visualize the story very well with them. This song again has it all. Story, heavy, epic, prog/atmosphere and I always get the "feels" with it at the end.  And like others have said, the live version is So Good.  This is a bucket-list concert song for me.  My son who I turned on to DT - this is his number 1.  He plays it and I love when I am cooking in the kitchen and I can listen!

13 The Glass Prison  - 25.  Great rocker!!..I just like others more. I am not a huge fan of the 12ss. This and Root are the only ones I really dig.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #908 on: January 27, 2022, 01:15:30 PM »
14 The Count of Tuscany #16

I enjoy Black Clouds and Silver Linings because the songs are about personal situations or experiences within the band. Found This Video where JP describes the songs lyrics. Basically, this song is that story in music form. I like it because the music goes through these emotional moments. The intro has a sort of wonderment and excitement of going to check out a new interesting place. Then it get's a bit tense as you are told more about the history of the place you are going to. I like the song from the middle ambient section to the bombastic ending due to the emotion behind it. The feeling of unsureness and fear of where you are, and then being comforted that nothing is going to happen and it's not how you think it seems. I don't think there is anything more to the lyrics other than telling an interesting story. I see the lyrics as JP describing that story, the same way he does in the video. Sort of like a person saying, "Wanna hear what happened to me the other day?" I love the ending and think it's one of their best live endings because the audience can sing along with the "woah's".  This is one song I would really love to see live one day, and if they do decide to play it, will likely try and see a show.

13  The Glass Prison #36

I first heard this song at Gigantour, and it was funny because we were going to the pit, as we found ways to get in, and my cousin pulls out the wrong ticket so we have to go all the way around to the other side. We get to the top of the open GA grass area on top of the outdoor amphitheater and then JM starts the intro. By the time we get to our seats, they start the heavy section and it was straight up energy from there. I love the significance of the bells and the record skipping in the intro, it's like a crossfade and has different meanings, one is that the bells signal the extension of the ending to SFAM, and then the sound of church bells ringing in the rain as the alcoholic person seeks redemption with a higher power. I think it's neat how they ended the song with the glass breaking as I see it as the person shutting the open door behind them shattering the cell of the glass prison they were in.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline 425

« Reply #909 on: January 27, 2022, 04:45:05 PM »
Only have time for one right now, but I'll come back later tonight for The Glass Prison.

14. The Count of Tuscany
My ranking: #26

This song used to me a top 10 or even top 5 song for me, but it hasn't aged quite as well as some of the others that are up there. I've come to feel there's a little bit of a disjoint between the centerpiece of the song (the verse and chorus section) and the rest, and that the centerpiece section is somewhat weaker than the rest, which is characterized by a ton of great melodic playing.

Listening to it now, I think #26 might be a bit of an overcorrection. I don't think this is top 10 for me anymore, but I think it has a solid case for being in the top 20. The melodic parts, especially the introduction and last section, are really, really good. And the verse-chorus section is good in its own right. I actually like the slightly hammy nature of that part, including MP's vocal contributions. I don't quite feel like the two parts belong in the same song together, which is what keeps it out of the top 10, but in retrospect I could see myself revising it up to the 15-19 range.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 04:50:44 PM by 425 »
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time