Author Topic: Top 100 Dream Theater songs countdown (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 53508 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Top 100 Dream Theater songs countdown (Top 20 underway!!)
« Reply #840 on: January 24, 2022, 06:03:36 PM »
20  At Wit's End  #2

If I could rank A Mind Beside Itself together, this song would be #3 in my rankings. I have been waiting for the band to make a song like this. It hits you instantly with the guitar and keyboard harmonies along with the syncopated bass and drums. The piano underneath all that after is a fascinating contrast, like there's beauty in the dissonance. It's hectic and fits in great as a representation of the anguish the subject of the song is feeling. I like the delay effect of the guitar before the calm piano interlude comes in. From then on, the build-up to the climax is awesome. After all this tension of anguish, we get a moment of clarity when the ending outro melody appears and the band just rides along with this ending. This is one of JLB's best vocals in a Dream Theater song, both in delivery, melody and effect choice. This is the song I would show people if I were to showcase the sound of Dream Theater. I am glad it made it to the top 20, at least.

19  The Mirror #67

"How the hell do you dance to the mirror?"....I really like the subject matter of the song lyrically. Older Labrie vocals have a nice grittiness to them, and they fit perfectly with the mood. That desperation to change after taking a look in the mirror. The Live Scenes From New York version is one of the best versions of it due to how JLB sings it and the way they play with the tempo a bit by slowing down some sections for emphasis. It has great lyrics and this one is a great quote, "Reflections of reality are slowly coming into view, how in the hell could you possibly forgive me, after all the hell I put you through."
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #841 on: January 24, 2022, 06:14:16 PM »
Barfbag got a vote?
Yes Chris, Barfbag got at least one vote - from me! Love that song! I had it at #49. What's wrong with it?

That was more an indictment of me, who has never heard of Barfbag.  :) Appreciate the link, will check it out.

I have At Wit's End in my Top 10 but there is a lot of recency bias there. When all is said and done with DT, it's in the top 25 but not sure much higher.

I have The Mirror at #19.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #842 on: January 24, 2022, 06:48:38 PM »
 By the way, anyone  knows if this instrumental that starts at 55:49 has a name? Always love it, kind of reminds me the groovy vibe of Barfbag.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w8oKj0lADJQ&list=RDw8oKj0lADJQ&start_radio=1
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #843 on: January 24, 2022, 06:55:13 PM »
The Awake Jam was always played in that spot. I think it went through a few iterations.

Scotty?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #844 on: January 24, 2022, 07:09:23 PM »
I never realized The Mirror was so highly thought of. Top 20? WOW!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #845 on: January 24, 2022, 08:22:43 PM »
#22 Blind Faith  - 31 I actually think I like this more than I listen to it.

#21 Space-Dye Vest  - 96 This is an interesting, unique song. I really enjoy the live version. I have no attachment to it, so I dont listen to it much.

#20 At Wit's End   - 12. This is an Awesome song! It does everything that I love about Dream Theater. Story, a mix of shreddy and proggy, emotional.

#19 The Mirror   -  27. My favorite on Awake..I like it better with Lie.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #846 on: January 24, 2022, 08:54:53 PM »
Wow, after 29 years being a fan, I never known about or heard Barfbag until now!
n00b!   :biggrin:

I'm sure you're aware of Moon Bubbles and Bombay Vindaloo, but there were a few other instrumental pieces that appeared during 1993, most of which did not have a name. For the record, they all did have some structure to them, but there was room for them (especially JP) to improvise, so I wouldn't call them flat out "improv jams" like I've seen some people label them. You can tell by comparing different performances that they are the same pieces, although the first one or two performances of BV in particular are different from what we are familiar with from L@tM. Anyhoo...

There's Slow Motion, which was played at only a handful of shows at the very beginning of 1993. Here is one performance of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7b0su9mY9o

There's an unnamed instrumental/jam that was groove-themed that followed To Live Forever at the beginning of their third leg through North America, but when MP reshuffled the setlist after two days (he originally had Learning to Live as the opening track!), the unnamed track was dropped. Fortunately the first show of that leg of the tour (in Warwick, RI) was broadcast, so there are plenty of bootlegs of that show in circulation.

During the second half of their first tour of Europe, the band started to rotate through a few different instrumental/jam pieces. The first to appear was Bombay Vindaloo. Then at the Paris show, they did a funk-themed instrumental/jam piece, which they ended play at least one more time. They also did one other instrumental/jam piece that MP described as being "Innocence Faded-themed" because the parts of it were later incorporated into IF. And they also brought Moon Bubbles back at least once, but this time MP played drums, unlike how they played it in 1992.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #847 on: January 24, 2022, 09:02:31 PM »
I know. I've said elsewhere my DT knowledge came 100% from the studio albums. I didn't subscribe to magazines, fanzines, or news groups (or whatever that early aspect of the internet was), and none of my friends listened to them. Before 2000, if it wasn't noted on a CD booklet, I didn't know about it. Dark ages, man. Joining this forum - or whatever version of this forum I joined in the early 2000s was quite the history lesson, along with those DVD commentaries.

I did actually know about Bombay Vindaloo because of the Live at the Marquee album. I never owned the Marquee album, for no good reason. Though I know I listened to it at some point many, many years ago. Gave it a listen the other day and was surprised how much I enjoyed it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #848 on: January 24, 2022, 09:07:22 PM »
Damn, Scotty, just tell me you don’t know the name!  :D
I didn’t know Slow Motion either, very cool! I guess the old bootlegs series could have released a double CD only with quality recordings of all those estructured live improvisations, so many good material!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #849 on: January 25, 2022, 05:51:26 PM »
Today's two!!!!  :metal :metal

18 Fatal Tragedy
Appeared on 24 of 26 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 8 (geeeemo)

It shows how consistently high this one got ranked when it had only two top 10 finishes and its highest spot was 8, yet it still finished this high.  Unbelievably awesome song, that manages to sound musical and melodic as hell, while still having that blistering instrumental section.  I had this at 13.

17 Lines in the Sand
Appeared on 23 of 26 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 9
Highest Ranking: 2 (HOF)

I usually put this in my top 10, but it finished at 11 when I did the rankings engine.  I believe 9 top 10 finishes is the most of any song featured to date.  That intro is still one of the best moments in DT history, and JP's solo is smooth like butter.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #850 on: January 25, 2022, 06:04:48 PM »
Fatal Tragedy is #23 for me.

Lines in the Sand didn't rank. That intro is mediocre at best and goes on way too long, and that is saying something for a DT song, and yes, the backing vocals on the chorus. I am one of those people.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #851 on: January 25, 2022, 06:15:45 PM »

Lines in the Sand didn't rank. That intro is mediocre at best and goes on way too long, and that is saying something for a DT song, and yes, the backing vocals on the chorus. I am one of those people.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #852 on: January 25, 2022, 06:19:12 PM »
Honestly surprised 2 other people left it off their lists.

The big shocker from my lust is still yet to come. Stay tuned!

Another hot take: I get what they were trying to do with that character, but I didn't find him particularly funny.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 06:31:43 PM by Cool Chris »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #853 on: January 25, 2022, 07:02:41 PM »
Honestly surprised 2 other people left it off their lists.

The big shocker from my lust is still yet to come. Stay tuned!

Another hot take: I get what they were trying to do with that character, but I didn't find him particularly funny.

Even after modifying, I'm still not sure of what has shocked you most from your lust. ;)

(Cool Chris...I'll modify this later, but I could not resist....)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #854 on: January 25, 2022, 07:04:33 PM »
What has shocked me most about my lust... why not ask your wife (or girlfriend, if applicable...) :p

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #855 on: January 25, 2022, 07:10:40 PM »
18 Fatal Tragedy
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 8 (geeeemo)

I have Fatal Tragedy at #14. Great tune. the instrumental section is ridiculous. Really glad they did it with Mangini too.

17 Lines in the Sand
Appeared on 23 of 26 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 9
Highest Ranking: 2 (HOF)

Yes the intro is indeed awesome. This song is so damn groovy. I'm not a fan of the Kings X guy's vocals, but whatever. It doesn't take away from the fact that I ranked this #6 on my list.

Offline HOF

« Reply #856 on: January 25, 2022, 07:25:33 PM »
I had Fatal Tragedy at 38. It’s another one from SFAM where I like the chorus and instrumental section but sort of tolerate the verse. Still a strong track though.

Lines in the Sands made a respectable enough placing at 17, and I’m glad to see it make so many top 10s. I struggled a bit with ordering my 2-9 tracks, but I’m glad I went high on this one as it might have helped it finish a little higher. I love everything about this track, including the Doug Pinnick vocal spot, which I think was a brilliant idea (but I’m also a big King’s X fan). But this is also a killer performance by the whole band really. Great drum part, awesome groove, one of JP’s top solos, great contribution from DS. And the lyrics are the other thing that helped me bump it up to number two. Probably JP’s strongest lyric in my opinion. But it’s also up at 2 for me because it’s genuinely one of a handful of DT songs I revisit most often.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #857 on: January 25, 2022, 07:28:29 PM »
I love the version of Lines In The Sand from Chaos In Motion. Yes, it's from Boston! But besides that....
I know James isn't great on it, but visually, the video has such a great ambiance to it.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #858 on: January 25, 2022, 07:30:30 PM »
Now I’m Mad at myself for not doing a list. Fatal Tragedy would be top 5 for me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #859 on: January 25, 2022, 07:32:15 PM »
Still no unanimous entries..

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #860 on: January 25, 2022, 07:43:16 PM »
What has shocked me most about my lust... why not ask your wife (or girlfriend, if applicable...) :p

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #861 on: January 25, 2022, 09:20:31 PM »
I will mention here, that I would request of KevShmev to start a separate thread for the songs that do not make the Top 100 AFTER the next countdown.  As if he has not already given all for king and country for his prior tabulations.  Once again, we thank you :hefdaddy

I am learning a lot of similar opinions being posted.  I love these discussions :heart

Surprised at seeing such high scores of some, and then seeing those songs not making the list.  I made a couple of mistakes on my submission, listing 'Room 137' at #7 instead of #39....., I have seen certain songs of others very highly ranked which I did rank, and yet they still didn't make the list.  Curious as to the total point list when all is said and done, as well as for some of us to have more time to correct some of our oversights.

I am realizing that I am not so much 'wrong' as just 'different' in my opinions on various songs.  And, I have been somewhat surprised at seeing some responders giving their listings and opinions, thinking that we were on so opposite sides prior, only to find out that we were +/- ten slots on eight of ten, and then, even though we rated so differently on others, had a somewhat similar opinion in regards to a part or two, whether we disagreed or not. 

That last paragraph has changed my opinion of what forum members have posted before, and will change my opinion from here on out, all for the good. 

I may disagreee regarding others' comments, but I will never argue at those who make heartfelt comments. After all, it is Dream Theater, it is music, and that is what we are here to discuss and comment on.  I may not like some songs, and I will chime in strongly at times on my likes and dislikes.

We are all here to learn, enjoy, discuss,  and ....  politely disagree without chastising.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 01:18:46 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #862 on: January 25, 2022, 09:37:28 PM »
Fatal Tragedy
My ranking: #51. Fatal Tragedy has slightly dropped in my rankings, but I still love it a lot. The highlight is the instrumental section, especially the keyboard solo at 4:10. It sounds so warped and crazy. The very end of the song is cool, with that sudden and ominous quote from the Hypnotherapist. Despite its somewhat dark nature, this is a quote I find myself using in conversation on rare occasions. By the way, some people don't seem to like the chorus, but I don't really get why. The lyrics are kind of confusing, but given the context of the song, I think it can be interpreted as Nicholas showing his determination about trying to figure out the truth behind his dreams.

Lines in the Sand
My ranking: #45. Gorgeous intro, awesome verses, great chorus, 10/10 guitar solo, and some of the best lyrics ever put in a Dream Theater song. Simply a fantastic song, I don't know what else to say.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #863 on: January 25, 2022, 09:52:29 PM »
I will mention here that I would request of KevShmev to start a separate thread for the songs that do not make the Top 100 after the next countdown. 

We should totally do that! DT's 101st-162nd best songs! I am sure I've made a point about not caring for any Majesty era material or songs with Charlie on vocals. But I enjoy hearing the old timers like Scotty talk about them. Maybe I have not been giving them a fair shake, I dunno.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #864 on: January 25, 2022, 10:37:01 PM »
deleted
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 03:27:36 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #865 on: January 25, 2022, 10:57:41 PM »
18 Fatal Tragedy (Did Not Rank)

Just because it's off of my list does not indicate how I value this song. This song is amazing, and I prefer it with Through My Words included. I also prefer some of the Demo sections that were left off of the album, like the lyrics before the verse starts. I enjoy the buildup of the song as it progresses. It's signifies Nicholas reliving those scenes of Victoria being murdered. I like the ending and love the unison section. It's one of their best build-ups. I did not rank it because I just forgot about it and also it works better as the scene of Through My Words-Fatal Tragedy.

17 Lines In The Sand #37

I for one feel this song lost a lot by excluding the verse that's in the demo, and i'm glad they brought it back in the Chaos in Motion version of the song. The song on the album is okay, but I prefer the live versions of the song. It's a great song that grooves live, and it does sound better without the Doug Pinnick vocals and JLB is worthy of singing that part on his own. I really love this solo, and it sounds amazing on Chaos in Motion. I would consider that my definitive version of the song.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline NoFred

« Reply #866 on: January 25, 2022, 11:16:22 PM »
20. At Wit’s End, all the early D/T reviews said this is the one… and it was, just an absolute monster of a song. #10 and the best of the very complementary D/T and AVFTTOTW. Please play this next month! I’m onboard with the false ending but think it would be better experienced without the extended silence in between. Also the song that cemented JLB as my top lyricist for the band.

19. The Mirror, essential DT right here, if I had one minute to introduce someone to the band I’d just hit play on this, #30.

18. Fatal Tragedy, have this third out of the Scenes side 1 triumvirate at #9 (BTL 2, SDV 4). Definitely plays great live, possibly one of their best when intro’d with Through My Words as everyone sings along to that. If (when) they go back to the SFAM well for something to play, I hope it’s this one.

17. Lines in the Sand, since day one I’m a hard no on the backing chorus, #94.

Offline HOF

« Reply #867 on: January 25, 2022, 11:26:24 PM »
Listening to Lines in the Sand again, and everything that follows the guitar solo and then slowly builds back up to the chorus is so tremendous. This song is really excellent.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #868 on: January 26, 2022, 12:17:09 AM »
The live version of LitS from Bucharest 2001-02 is my favorite!!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Top 100 Dream Theater songs countdown (Top 50 now going!)
« Reply #869 on: January 26, 2022, 12:53:31 AM »
20. At Wit's End (#17) the first fifteen seconds is a bit jarring to me, otherwise it would be Top Ten.  I will never forget my first listen to D/T with my headphones on.  I was somewhat jarred awake during that extreme cyclone of a  beginning.  After my first listen, I was hesitant to admit to on this forum, but I did…I was actually in tears during the fade out,  as the ‘don’t leave me now’ segment made me feel as if I was calling out to my deceased Mom from decades ago :heart.

It hurts that I feel that yearning every single time on every single replay.  In spite of that ‘pain’, I listen to my Side Two (with ‘Viper King’ inserted after ‘Out of Reach’) a couple of times a month.  Yeah, the album still has that ‘new car smell.’  Yet it has been three years.  But, you know what?  This is probably going to be Top Ten a few years from now.

Almost forgot (but who can ever forget)…..the reprise sound and reminder melody is an absolute stroke of genius on top of an already unforgettable song.

19.  The Mirror (NR) Is it sacrilege to say that I don’t even have it on my ‘Awake’ cdr version?  That ‘my’ Side 2 version is ….    Lie (45) / To Live Forever / Lifting Shadows Off A Dream / Scarred  …

(btw, sorry to disappoint Setlist Scotty that  pg1067 was not the one NOT to list this, but me .  But that's what you get for not listing TSCO😉 )

18.  Fatal Tragedy (#29)
I listed Through My Words #28 because they go together.  As with ‘Misunderstood’, another ‘jump out of my chair and search for Brian May’s name’ in the credits when I first heard this.  It still rates high, whether the Queen guitarist had played on it or not.  Nice to see it listed even higher than my rating.

17.  Lines in the Sand (NR)
Great intro, and I’ll listen to the first two minutes or so because of the ‘Hell’s Kitchen’ fade out/in.  Wonderful middle instrumental, but …….  those guest vocals ruin it for me to the point that I don’t include the last ten minutes on my FII cdr.  I like the demo.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 01:16:38 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
« Reply #870 on: January 26, 2022, 03:03:32 AM »
I was late to the party, but Lines in the Sand is my number 3. It's just perfect, the intro is one of the best in the discography, the chorus is super fun and I actually like the ad libs (which unfortunately drags the song down for a lot of people), the bridge and the solo of course... I've seen plenty of people call it one of the worst DT songs so I'm happy it got a deserving place  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Top 100 Dream Theater songs countdown (Top 50 now going!)
« Reply #871 on: January 26, 2022, 03:07:15 AM »
20 At Wit’s End
Top 10 finishes: 5
Highest Ranking: 2 (Ben_Jamin, marztacy)

19 The Mirror
Appeared on 25 of 26 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 4
Highest Ranking: 2 (Setlist Scotty)

At Wit's End is amazing. But apparently, I'm one of the two lists that it was left off it seems. I went to my spreadsheet but for some reason I mistakenly didn't paste it over.  :facepalm:

I had it originally at #27. I love this song. Total screw up on my part.

I had The Mirror at #99, as it got in once I removed the AVFTTOTW songs and Solitary Shell.
It has the cheesiest MP lyric..."my will or my won't". :lol

I've never cared for The Mirror. I think live in the moment it's fine, but definitely not a fave.

Yeah that blows.  Makes me feel a bit better for totally missing Strange Deja-Vu.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #872 on: January 26, 2022, 03:11:45 AM »
AWE - #11 for me.  Was blown away as soon as I heard it.  Love LaBrie's lyrics which I can highly relate to and JP's solo is easily one of his best.

TM - #14 for me.  It's heavy as fuck and always loved Labrie's delivery on this one.  The 'I'll never hurt you again' going into the SDV melody is a DT highlight.  Love it.

FT - #16.  Has everything you could ask for from DT.  Everything about it is just brilliant and the way the whole thing builds up from start to finish is just magic, brilliant songwriting.

LITS - #58.  Solid song.  Really surprised it ranked top 20.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #873 on: January 26, 2022, 06:02:48 AM »
Alright, let's get today's two out there today.

It is notable that one of today's songs is the first to have made all 26 lists!

16 Bridges in the Sky
Appeared on 26 of 26 entrees
Highest Ranking: 6 (NoFred)

This was the song. Like others, when Portnoy departed, you couldn't help but wonder how the band would be going forward.  When I heard this song and how great it was, I was like, "Okay, everything is going to be just fine."  I had it at 36.

15 Surrounded
Appeared on 25 of 26 entrees
Highest Ranking: 4 (Elite)

This song is like a melodic amusement park.  No matter where you look, the melodies are jumping out of the speakers at you.  I had this at 10 (a little higher than normal, but I won't argue with the rankings engine).

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #874 on: January 26, 2022, 06:47:50 AM »
Surrounded!! :heart

Obviously I hoped for higher, but #15 is good! :)

That song completes my trifecta of favourite short DT tunes. If you recall the rest of my longer posts, I had Space-Dye Vest at #3 and Innocence Faded at #5. These two, together with Surrounded are all equally special to me in a sense. All songs speak to me on an emotional level and to me, they're all connected in a sense, because lyrically they are similar - at least to me they are! Aside from that they're all short and they all feature amazing performances in their own way.

My #1 and #2 haven't shown up yet, but they're far from 'original' picks. In general, I also do think that my #1 and #2 are 'better' tunes, both for different reasons. Though as far as personal favourites go, Space-Dye Vest, Surrounded and Innocence Faded are probably more special to me, which is why they occupied #3-5 on my list.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey