Author Topic: Top 100 Dream Theater songs countdown (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 53509 times)

Offline HOF

Re: Top 100 Dream Theater songs countdown (Top 20 underway!!)
« Reply #805 on: January 24, 2022, 06:59:55 AM »
Huh, The Mirror made it to 19? Seemed like a lot of people expressed dislike for it during the recent survivor. I ranked it at 42. It’s not my favorite thing on Awake, but it’s got a cool atmosphere and I like how it’s reprised at the end of Lie (which to me is the more interesting of the two songs).

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #806 on: January 24, 2022, 07:48:10 AM »
At Wit’s End just made it at 99 for me. It’s a good song, but I don’t find myself listening to it much. Love the intro but the rest of the song kinda drags for me.

I had The Mirror at 42. Excellent song for a live show.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #807 on: January 24, 2022, 08:35:14 AM »
Looking through this, my biggest shock is that Speak To Me didn't crack the Top 100.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #808 on: January 24, 2022, 08:50:29 AM »
Looking through this, my biggest shock is that Speak To Me didn't crack the Top 100.
Mine was eve didn't even rank.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #809 on: January 24, 2022, 08:54:10 AM »
I think a lot of Eve myself (Top 10 for me), but that one didn't shock me.  I know there are only a handful of us who even know Eve, much less love it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline HOF

« Reply #810 on: January 24, 2022, 08:59:08 AM »

I'm guessing some fans just aren't very familiar with it. It's a shame they never recorded a proper studio version. Least they could do now is give the live version from 5YiALT a proper release.

I think a lot of Eve myself (Top 10 for me), but that one didn't shock me.  I know there are only a handful of us who even know Eve, much less love it.

Yeah, Eve is kind of unfortunately obscured as well. I was looking at a copy of the Silent Man single on discogs, and I just didn't want to plop down $25 just to get a proper copy of one new song. DT really ought to give Cleaning Out the Closet a broader release.

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #811 on: January 24, 2022, 09:03:18 AM »
It was top 10 in mine too. I was kinda surprised it didn't even rank because i saw a lot precise for the song lately, and its usually regarded as one of their best songs. But it being an instrumental, and kinda ballad-y might have affect the ranking.

I ranked a lot of obscure songs and some pretty high. Like Eve and Don't Look Past Me.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: Top 100 Dream Theater songs countdown (Top 50 now going!)
« Reply #812 on: January 24, 2022, 09:41:35 AM »
Definitely bummed that some of my choices didn’t make the top 100, but not surprising as I know my taste differs from a lot of people.

In particular, I had LFaGA  as #3, Bombay Vindaloo at #16 (how that one didn’t make the cut I cannot understand, other than that it was not on an album), TOWHtStS at #17 and even Heaven’s Cove, which is one of my favorites on TA, which I had at #77.

I recall someone questioning how TSCO didn’t make someone’s top 100 list, and that would be me. I’m sorry, but I am sooooo DONE with that song. Is it a well written track with good melodies? Sure. But I am so tired of it that it’s almost become repulsive to me now.

I've just got one question about these 'the One Who Help to Set the Sun' lyrics:
<snip>
I mean, honestly, what are they all about? I can't seem to make any story of it that makes sense at some point. It might be my English is crackin' or my imagination lets me down big time, but these are amongst the most vage, weird and strange lyrics Petrucci ever wrote. I ranked it in the 80's-tier myself and am somehow connected with the song, but surely not by the storyline.
According to Charlie Dominici, the basic message behind the lyrics to that song is that before becoming recording artists, other bands/artists were the ones who were "setting the sun". Now that they've become recording artists themselves, now they are the one who help to set the sun.

Barfbag got a vote?
Yes Chris, Barfbag got at least one vote - from me! Love that song! I had it at #49. What's wrong with it?

19 The Mirror
Appeared on 25 of 26 entrees
....and if pg1067 was one of the guys who submitted a top 100 list, then I know exactly who was the person who didn't include it on their list!   :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline 425

« Reply #813 on: January 24, 2022, 09:50:56 AM »

I'm guessing some fans just aren't very familiar with it. It's a shame they never recorded a proper studio version. Least they could do now is give the live version from 5YiALT a proper release.

Yeah, part of the issue with Speak to Me is that the only easily accessible versions for a while now have been the demo and the 1998 official bootleg, of which I only have the demo because of the bad reputation of the 1998 show. Because of that, I've heard the song a few times, but I have to be in a particular frame of mind to want to listen to a demo-quality recording.

I've obviously never heard Cleaning out the Closet before; does anyone know whether the CotC recordings of the FII five are identical to those on the FII Demos?
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #814 on: January 24, 2022, 09:57:39 AM »
Three from my top 20 and two from my top 10 not making the top 100 (at this point it seemed likely anyway). Have Speak to Me at 11, The Way It Used To Be at 10, and Take Away My Pain at 5. Disappointing finish for TAMP especially, one of DT’s best produced studio tracks, and some of JP’s finest lyrics and guitar solo.

Looks like we have similar tastes.  I had Speak to Me at 23, The Way it Used to Be at 6, and Take Away My Pain at 14

Offline HOF

« Reply #815 on: January 24, 2022, 10:00:13 AM »
Three from my top 20 and two from my top 10 not making the top 100 (at this point it seemed likely anyway). Have Speak to Me at 11, The Way It Used To Be at 10, and Take Away My Pain at 5. Disappointing finish for TAMP especially, one of DT’s best produced studio tracks, and some of JP’s finest lyrics and guitar solo.

Looks like we have similar tastes.  I had Speak to Me at 23, The Way it Used to Be at 6, and Take Away My Pain at 14

:metal

I love when DT stretch out into something a little bit different, and those three are all fairly unique tracks for them.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #816 on: January 24, 2022, 10:00:24 AM »

Yeah, part of the issue with Speak to Me is that the only easily accessible versions for a while now have been the demo and the 1998 official bootleg, of which I only have the demo because of the bad reputation of the 1998 show. Because of that, I've heard the song a few times, but I have to be in a particular frame of mind to want to listen to a demo-quality recording.

I've obviously never heard Cleaning out the Closet before; does anyone know whether the CotC recordings of the FII five are identical to those on the FII Demos?
AFAIK, the tracks on CotC are the same as the FII demos, altho I remember there being some discussion about the versions on CotC being better sounding or something. So perhaps there was some additional post-production work done to the ones that ended up on CotC, altho I can't be sure.

As for the 1998 Fan Club CD (not official bootleg), if you want to hear it for yourself, you can check it out here:
https://youtu.be/_Ce_ePpcJmM?t=272
It's the full disc (a great companion piece for OiaL), but the link above starts right at StM.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #817 on: January 24, 2022, 10:54:27 AM »
I had Cover My Eyes, Eve, Another Won, Your Majesty and Bombay Vindaloo all in my top 100.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline HOF

« Reply #818 on: January 24, 2022, 10:58:30 AM »
I had Cover My Eyes, Eve, Another Won, Your Majesty and Bombay Vindaloo all in my top 100.

Non-album tracks in my top 100:

10. The Way It Used To Be
11. Speak To Me
19. To Live Forever
27. Raise the Knife
44. Eve
49. Cover My Eyes
52. Where Are You Now
60. Another Won
62. Don't Look Past Me
75. The Holiday Spirit Carries On

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #819 on: January 24, 2022, 11:03:42 AM »
How do we listen to barfbag and eve?

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #820 on: January 24, 2022, 11:17:13 AM »
Some thoughts on the Top 162:

- None of the songs above #100 entered my Top 50.

- Songs that entered my Top 100:
101 Light Fuse and Get Away (#61) - One of my faves from WDADU and it seems one of the most disliked.
102 Chosen (#70)
103 Lord Nafaryus (#64)
105 Out of Reach (#98)
107 Another Won (#77) - The Score version is really great, JLB amazing on it!
119 Wither (#91)
120 The Way It Used to Be (#78) - How this one didn't make the cut of FII together with Raise the Knife and Where Are You Now?!
121 Dystopian Overture (#62)
123 When Your Time Has Come (#66)
124 A Better Life (#63)
126 Viper King (#83) - Love this one for what it is, it feels like well done cover song.
127 Enigma Machine (#57) - I think it's great and it became better with the time.
134 You Not Me (-) - It didn't make my Top 100, but I think it's a cool song. If DT had mantained the middle instrumental section from the demo, with the extended guitar solo and all, it would make the song even better. That outro is excellent!
144 2285 Entr’acte (#71)
147 Where Are You Now (#87)
150 Raw Dog (#96) - Well, I don't get why is so dismissed.
157 0.25 (-) - WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?! I've never heard about it and it's not even on youtube...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 11:26:51 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #821 on: January 24, 2022, 11:47:05 AM »

Non-album tracks in my top 100:

10. The Way It Used To Be
11. Speak To Me
19. To Live Forever
27. Raise the Knife
44. Eve
49. Cover My Eyes
52. Where Are You Now
60. Another Won
62. Don't Look Past Me
75. The Holiday Spirit Carries On
Mine:
10    Eve
11    To Live Forever
14    Don't look past me
36    Speak To Me
57    Raise The Knife
58    The Way It Used to Be
77    Another Won
83    Where Are You Now

Offline Setlist Scotty

Offline 425

« Reply #823 on: January 24, 2022, 12:07:37 PM »

AFAIK, the tracks on CotC are the same as the FII demos, altho I remember there being some discussion about the versions on CotC being better sounding or something. So perhaps there was some additional post-production work done to the ones that ended up on CotC, altho I can't be sure.

As for the 1998 Fan Club CD (not official bootleg), if you want to hear it for yourself, you can check it out here:
It's the full disc (a great companion piece for OiaL), but the link above starts right at StM.

This is good to know, thanks! And that 1998 Fan Club CD is interesting; I'd forgotten that existed. When I mentioned a 1998 show, I was referring to the Ytse Jam Los Angeles show with Bruce Dickinson, where Speak to Me was played. My understanding is that that show has a reputation as a particularly poor JLB performance.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #824 on: January 24, 2022, 12:09:50 PM »

This is good to know, thanks! And that 1998 Fan Club CD is interesting; I'd forgotten that existed. When I mentioned a 1998 show, I was referring to the Ytse Jam Los Angeles show with Bruce Dickinson, where Speak to Me was played. My understanding is that that show has a reputation as a particularly poor JLB performance.
Yeah, he sounded like ass on that show.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #825 on: January 24, 2022, 12:10:57 PM »
149 The Holiday Spirit Carries On
Just was thinking about this: should this even be an option for the list? After all, it's just a medley of holiday songs, right? So wouldn't it be along the lines of The Big Medley, Instrumedley and Oh Holy Night, none of which were obviously included?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #826 on: January 24, 2022, 12:26:29 PM »
Just was thinking about this: should this even be an option for the list? After all, it's just a medley of holiday songs, right? So wouldn't it be along the lines of The Big Medley, Instrumedley and Oh Holy Night, none of which were obviously included?
I would never have thought to include any of those other than maybe Instrumedley, but probably not that either.

Offline HOF

« Reply #827 on: January 24, 2022, 12:31:38 PM »
I would never have thought to include any of those other than maybe Instrumedley, but probably not that either.

All I know is that it was on the list of songs someone posted early in the thread that I used to populate the ranking engine. It feels slightly different than a cover or The Big Medley, since the Christmas tunes  have been rearranged and Dream Theater-afide. But it was Kevin’s call ultimately.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #828 on: January 24, 2022, 03:11:28 PM »
Anyone knows what is the 0.25 song ranked at #157?

Offline HOF

« Reply #829 on: January 24, 2022, 03:13:30 PM »
Anyone knows what is the 0.25 song ranked at #157?

An Excel issue!

Also, what is "0.25"? I've never heard of that.

Haha :lol :facepalm: that would be “6:00 from excel spreadsheets” I caught too late that I sent it, maybe a few others did too so it’s not dead last? Of course 6:00 being the 25% point of the day so was translated as .25.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #830 on: January 24, 2022, 03:27:40 PM »
 :lol that's OK!
I thought it was a mega obscure live jam! :D

Offline devieira73

« Reply #831 on: January 24, 2022, 03:30:40 PM »
20 At Wit's End (#20) - Amazing song, with a gorgeous outro - incredible JP solo. I just wish that the fade-out began later.
19 The Mirror (#38) - I was already amazed by the intro when I've heard it for the first time in Live in Tokyo VHS. And then they made a great song out of it. Also, I think the ending of Lie got even better on The Mirror, like in Scenes from New York version.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #832 on: January 24, 2022, 03:36:16 PM »
So uhh, some people actually voted for ‘0.25’ despite it not existing? ???
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #833 on: January 24, 2022, 04:02:24 PM »
20 At Wit’s End
Appeared on 24 of 26 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 5
Highest Ranking: 2 (Ben_Jamin, marztacy)

19 The Mirror
Appeared on 25 of 26 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 4
Highest Ranking: 2 (Setlist Scotty)

At Wit's End is amazing. But apparently, I'm one of the two lists that it was left off it seems. I went to my spreadsheet but for some reason I mistakenly didn't paste it over.  :facepalm:

I had it originally at #27. I love this song. Total screw up on my part.

I had The Mirror at #99, as it got in once I removed the AVFTTOTW songs and Solitary Shell.
It has the cheesiest MP lyric..."my will or my won't". :lol

I've never cared for The Mirror. I think live in the moment it's fine, but definitely not a fave.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #834 on: January 24, 2022, 04:04:48 PM »
So uhh, some people actually voted for ‘0.25’ despite it not existing? ???

What happened (from what I understand) is NoFred copied and pasted the list of songs into an Excel spreadsheet, and the spreadsheet converted 6:00 to 0.25, but he missed it and accidentally submitted his top 100 list with 0.25 on it instead of 6:00. Not sure if anyone else did the same thing, but I'm guessing he's the only one.

I wonder how that error affected 6:00's final position? It's good to know only 3 people left it off their list after all!

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #835 on: January 24, 2022, 04:24:55 PM »
At Wit's End
My ranking: #66. I think At Wit's End is a little bit overhyped. Not that it's not all that great by any means (#66 is a really good spot for my list), but I suppose I don't see what some others see in it that would put it in their Top 10 or 20. I really enjoy the second half, from the "Asked me to listen" verse and onwards. That guitar solo is beautiful and James singing "Don't leave me now, don't leave me now..." sounds really great. The first half of the song is good, but nothing as great as the second half. I do like how unique the first half is, though; there's nothing else in DT's discography that sounds quite like it.

The Mirror
My ranking: #58. This one's gone up quite a bit since my last ranking. Before, I had it at #82, and now I have it at #58. This song is just awesomeness from start to finish. My favorite moment part is 3:44-4:32. That's one of my favorite moments from James LaBrie.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #837 on: January 24, 2022, 04:39:55 PM »
Very underwhelming #20 and #19. Not that they aren't good songs but far from top 20 material.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #838 on: January 24, 2022, 05:33:54 PM »

At Wit's End is amazing. But apparently, I'm one of the two lists that it was left off it seems. I went to my spreadsheet but for some reason I mistakenly didn't paste it over.  :facepalm:

I had it originally at #27. I love this song. Total screw up on my part.

You having At Wit's End at 27 would have bumped it up to 15. Oh my... :biggrin: :biggrin: :lol :lol

Offline devieira73

« Reply #839 on: January 24, 2022, 05:55:19 PM »
Wow, after 29 years being a fan, I never known about or heard Barfbag until now! DT at its grooviest, very cool!! The link Scotty provided has a very good sounding quality, thanks A LOT!!!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 06:49:35 PM by devieira73 »