Author Topic: Top 100 Dream Theater songs countdown (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 53514 times)

Offline 425

Re: Top 100 Dream Theater songs countdown (Top 50 now going!)
« Reply #770 on: January 22, 2022, 09:32:00 PM »
24. Strange Deja Vu
My ranking: #30

I ranked this one right next to Overture 1928 (one spot ahead), not because I'm among those who treat them as one piece (I actually find it pretty easy to split them up), but because I find them almost equally excellent.

This is just a really energetic, exciting song and a great entrance into the story proper. This is the first instance on SFAM where a single chorus is sung by multiple different characters to express a similar emotion about different specifics, which is a device I really, really like.  Also really good are that one bass groove and the vocals.

23. Illumination Theory
My ranking: #36

This is last for me among the big (15+ minute) epics, but that's far from meaning that I dislike the song. I think it's the oddball among the DT epics, with its long mid-song break and sort of staccato vocal melodies, but it has its own charm. The first vocal section is the weak point, to me, but from the orchestral break to the end, I think it's all very good. I really like the guitar solo at about 13:08.

22. Blind Faith
My ranking: #54

Like most of Six Degrees, this is not a song I love as much as the fanbase in general, but I still think it's quite good. I really like Jordan's use of piano on this one, and I agree that the instrumental break is really good.

21. Space Dye Vest
My ranking: #33

I used to have this one a little higher. It was a song I went to a lot in the past, which I now don't really listen to outside of the full Awake album, but it definitely holds up as a piece of music. I think it really shows the emotional power of Kevin Moore's distinct style. I also really like the subtle way the guitar and drums are used in the latter half of the song. And the combination of James's restrained performance and KM's backing vocals really works. I think it's a great, unique ending to Awake.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline erciccio

« Reply #771 on: January 23, 2022, 12:22:05 AM »
24. Strange Deja Vu
My ranking: 32

Very cool song, but works better in the context of the full album, I never go back to it as a stand alone song

23. Illumination Theory
My ranking: #19

I've not fallen in love at first sight with this one, but every time I go back to it I have to admit it's really really good...
A few moments are really top-notch (the main riff, the piano-drums "unison", the outro..)
Like most of you noticed already, it's a bit "disconnected"...but the classical section is really cool, taken as a "stand alone" moment of music

22. Blind Faith
My ranking: #78

Like most of Six Degrees, this is not a song I love as much as the fanbase in general, but I still think it's quite good. (I left this comment by 425 untouched, I feel the same way about this song!)

21. Space Dye Vest
My ranking: #9

Well, this was such a brave way to finish an album..
When I was younger and more often in a "dark" mood, this was probably a top-3 song for me..("and I'll never be open again"...who hasn't felt that way after the end of a love story?)
I still love it a lot, but I don't get back to it that often.
But a few moments in this song are so intense that really move me to cry, even today.

Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di piů

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #772 on: January 23, 2022, 03:05:26 AM »
TTT - 33 - Wonderful song
ITPOE - 54
SD-V -  :lol Somehow doing this list in like half an hour I totally missed this song.  That sucks, I'd have it between 30-40.  It should have been on 26 lists!  :facepalm:
IT - 5
BF - 6 - Fucking love this song
SDV - 62
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #773 on: January 23, 2022, 07:45:32 AM »
Vacation and work made me miss waaaay too much here to catch up fully, so I’ll just join back in now  :lol

28. The Spirit Carries On
My Ranking: #75

In retrospect that’s probably a bit too low. I’m not a huge fan of the lyrics, but the guitar solo is obviously world class and I love the verse right after it. Best version is on Score for sure, JP’s intro is world class.

27. Pull Me Under
My ranking: #67

Important song, always fun, but they have released loads better.

26. Take the Time
My ranking: #17

This song is just so much fun in every way. Probably my favorite drum performance by Portnoy on I&W, lyrics are a lot of fun, and JLB SLAYS this on the album. I agree with the sentiments above wishing they found a way to play this more live, as it’s such a great concert song.

25. In the Presence of Enemies
My ranking: #28

I might rank part 1 in my top 15 had I separated them, but the song as a whole is still a great deal of fun. The intro is classic DT, and JP has one of my favorite melodies of his in that opening solo. Wonder if we’ll ever see this played live in full again (with them playing pt. 1 last tour, I kinda doubt it).

24. Strange Dejavu
My Ranking: #15

I have no problem with this being separated from Overture 1928, as that one made my top 10 and it definitely serves its purpose well in the context of the album. SDV is a great intro to the story and has great performances all around. Wish they sped up the second half when playing it live like they used to.

Illumination Theory
My Ranking: #20

My first “new” epic with DT back in 2013. DT12 as a whole is one where if you asked me “what is Dream Theater all about?”, I would tell you it’s this album. It kinda hits every major style point that they’ve used throughout their career; some of those examples are great and some are just ok. This song has both. The intro through the ambient part and the instrumental part before the last verse are the extra great parts and some of my favorite DT moments. The “mothers for their children” verse and the Octavarium copycat ending are lackluster, which is why this song didn’t make my top 10, but overall it still slays.

22. Blind Faith
My Ranking: #2

The Glass Prison-Blind Faith-Misunderstood-The Great Debate is the greatest 4 song streak in DT history, and all 4 songs make my top 13. This song has everything I look for in a DT song. That rhythm section groove to leas the beginning  the song with keyboards and guitar acting as the support is a great start. The lyrics are definitely my favorite effort by JLB. The drumming throughout the song (like all of 6DOIT) is Portnoy’s best work in his discography IMO; he does a lot of really interesting and unique things on this album that really make it stand apart. The “and still life pushes on” verse before the instrumental section is world class, and the instrumental section itself is amazing as well. My main complaint about DT after this album is there’s not many long instrumental sections  in their songs that feel as fresh and original as this one does; it’s not *just* a couple lightning fast trading solos; you’ve got the rhythmic section after JP’s solo we’re Rudess is riffing on the keys in the background before exploding into his full solo, and the unison feels fully locked in, with both of them and Portnoy driving it to a definite finish before the last verse (my favorite unison section they’ve ever done). This song is complete perfection, and I hope I get to see it live someday.

21. Space Dye-Vest
Ranking: #49

Very nice song and it comes off amazing live. Really glad they took the chance to bring it to the stage because it was a highlight of that tour!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #774 on: January 23, 2022, 08:02:22 AM »
As we get ready for the top 20, here is how the rankings looked outside of the top 100 for all songs that got votes, but didn't make the list.

101 Light Fuse and Get Away
102 Chosen
103 Lord Nafaryus
104 Along for the Ride
105 Out of Reach
106 Eve
107 Another Won
108 Speak to Me
109 A Rite of Passage
110 Take Away My Pain
111 Paralyzed
112 Far From Heaven
113 Build Me Up, Break Me Down
114 Heaven’s Cove
115 Prophets of War
116 Hymn of a Thousand Voices
117 Untethered Angel
118 Don’t Look Past Me
119 Wither
120 The Way It Used to Be
121 Dystopian Overture
122 The Answer Lies Within
123 When Your Time Has Come
124 A Better Life
125 The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun
126 Viper King
127 Enigma Machine
128 Anna Lee   
129 Just Let Me Breathe
130 Status Seeker
131 Burning My Soul
132 The Walking Shadow
133 Room 137
134 You Not Me
135 A Tempting Offer
136 Repentance
137 My Last Farewell
138 Begin Again
139 Losing Faythe
140 Bombay Vindaloo
141 Cover My Eyes
142 The Road to Revolution
143 False Awakening Suite
144 2285 Entr’acte
145 Act of Faythe
146 Through My Words
147 Where Are You Now
148 A Vision
149 The Holiday Spirit Carries On
150 Raw Dog
151 The Answer
152 Regression
153 Your Majesty
154 Whispers on the Wind
155 Brother, Can You Hear Me?
156 Barfbag
157 0.25
158 Two Far
159 Astonishing
160 March of the Tyrant
161 Another Hand
162 Gladiator Theme

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #775 on: January 23, 2022, 08:03:54 AM »
My condolences to all 28 songs that are feeling the shame of finishing below You Not Me. :P

Offline HOF

« Reply #776 on: January 23, 2022, 08:08:53 AM »
Three from my top 20 and two from my top 10 not making the top 100 (at this point it seemed likely anyway). Have Speak to Me at 11, The Way It Used To Be at 10, and Take Away My Pain at 5. Disappointing finish for TAMP especially, one of DT’s best produced studio tracks, and some of JP’s finest lyrics and guitar solo.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #777 on: January 23, 2022, 08:26:18 AM »
My condolences to all 28 songs that are feeling the shame of finishing below You Not Me. :P

Indeed, that must be awful to a song. You Not Me is amongst the worst, I would say. Bombay Vindaloo at 140 is stunning to me as well.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline NoFred

« Reply #778 on: January 23, 2022, 08:41:42 AM »
Three from my top 20 and two from my top 10 not making the top 100 (at this point it seemed likely anyway). Have Speak to Me at 11, The Way It Used To Be at 10, and Take Away My Pain at 5. Disappointing finish for TAMP especially, one of DT’s best produced studio tracks, and some of JP’s finest lyrics and guitar solo.

I had The Answer Lies Within at 19, for a spread of 103 places. I wonder if your The Way It Used To Be rank (looks like 110 places) is the largest difference?

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #779 on: January 23, 2022, 09:09:23 AM »
30. Beyond This Life (#58) should have had this in my Top 40.  An absolute treat on the last tour.  A real head bangers delight amongst all the mellow parts. Nice Zappa influence after the nine minute mark. Would have been the best song on a few albums, often overlooked due to the rest of SFAM.

29. Under a Glass Moon (NR) such a memorable intro. I just have problems with the chorus.

28. The Spirit Carries On (#1) my 10th time I gave the prior songs their highest rankings?  A small sample size, but I am surprised that no one else had it in their Top Five. 

I could write at least two pages, still wouldn't find all the correct words, so I’ll try to be brief without being too maudlin in regards to the ‘Score’ version (I'm envious of all who were there that night).

The instrumental, and then the crowd reaction as they realize what it has transitioned into.    The lyrics:  when singing along, I make a change to “Victory is real, I finally feel, at peace with the girl of my dreams”… and all that precedes and follows is like a message or love letter, my goodbye and reassurance to my wife.  A hope that despite all my faults and failings (too numerous to mention), I was a good husband and person.  And another thousand thoughts and feelings I won’t mention here.

To finally see it performed in ’12, and then my last two shows, were more than emotionally moving. 

When the time comes, this version will be played at my memorial service (and yes, Bohemian Rhapsody will also be played)

27.  Pull Me Under (#16) all that is good and great about this has already been written.

26.  Take the Time (NR) listened to this for the first time in almost twenty years this week. Many of the guitar and keyboard tones are too harsh for me (see ‘Endless Sacrifice’)

25.  In the Presence of Enemies (#69) I would easily rank Part 1 in my Top 40.   Live in '08 it followed 'Psycho' and 'Ant Odyssey' (which would have made for a much better beginning on CiM)I played Part 2 a bunch when SC was first released, and then it totally dropped out of my rotation.  Last night’s listen confirmed again that JM and MP and James shine, but I’m just not a fan of these type of lyrics.

24. Strange Déjŕ Vu (#5), well, since I ranked Overture 1928 at #4, it only made sense for me to rank this next, as the two go hand in hand, as both would open my ultimate set list.

23. Illumination Theory (#75) epic beginning and memorable moments throughout. My preference is for songs of this length to be much shorter. A friend has this as his all time DT favorite.  I totally get that.

22. Blind Faith (#55) and I thought I was being kind for placing it this high because I don’t read many if any comments about it. I’ve tended to overlook it compared to what ‘Misunderstood’ means to me.  Guess I need to revisit this a bit more often from here on in.

21. Space Dye Vest (NR) either because I think ‘Scarred’ is a good ending for ‘Awake’, or because the samples distract me and take me out of the mood the song had put me in. It is beautifully haunting and somber otherwise.

Really enjoying reading others opinions, and wish I could write them as well as some.  This poll is certainly proving that DT fans might be the most ‘diverse’ fan base, due to musical tastes, age, when they came on board, etc……
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 12:33:30 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #780 on: January 23, 2022, 09:42:47 AM »

I had The Answer Lies Within at 19, for a spread of 103 places. I wonder if your The Way It Used To Be rank (looks like 110 places) is the largest difference?

And I had 'Answer' at 20.  I had two of HOF's ranked, and I would also put 'Closing Out The Closet' at #9 for 'studio' albums if I was allowed to.

I will probably be the one called out with the biggest discrepency at 127 places, due to sending the wrong spead sheet (life was a semi hell then).  I did tell Kev a week or so later, but it wouldn't have changed the overall ratings.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 10:32:24 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #781 on: January 23, 2022, 09:48:37 AM »
I honestly have no idea what the Gladiator Theme was released on.

The 3 that initially jumped out most to me are all lumped together. I have those three somewhere in the middle of my list. Nothing else immediately stands out as being egregious or way out of place compared to how I ranked them.

111 Paralyzed
112 Far From Heaven
113 Build Me Up, Break Me Down
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #782 on: January 23, 2022, 09:55:18 AM »
That's like half my list. :lol

I have Chosen in my top 5 because it's an amazing song both in context of the album and also for what it's meaning Is about. "No, I can't climb this mountain without you, no I can't face this on my own." Guess I should be glad it almost made it on the list.

Also glad to see Eve, Another Won, and Speak to Me that high in the not-top-100 rankings.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jammindude

« Reply #783 on: January 23, 2022, 09:56:00 AM »
I’ll post my catch up review later tonight.

But looking at the ones that did not make the top 100, the biggest divergence from my list is TOWHTSTS which I had at #28, a difference of 97. Eve was pretty far off too. I had that at #20 for a difference of 86.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #784 on: January 23, 2022, 10:36:59 AM »
I have Chosen in my top 5 because it's an amazing song both in context of the album and also for what it's meaning Is about. "No, I can't climb this mountain without you, no I can't face this on my own." Guess I should be glad it almost made it on the list.

I had Chosen in my upper-50 as well. Truly like the piece, although - as which is the same with SfaM - I find it so hard to rank the songs individually. I always hear those in the album concept. When a concept album is made, I'm used to always listen to the whole darn-piece. I am not likely to visit them separated from one another. Like with al the songs in the Amphitheater, the climax of the Astonishing. Beautiful, but so weaved in each other, it's hardly 'rankable' as 'stand-alones'.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 01:08:08 PM by Wim Kruithof »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #785 on: January 23, 2022, 11:57:23 AM »
Pretty good top 20 :tup
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #786 on: January 23, 2022, 12:23:20 PM »
I had Repentance, A Rite of Passage, and When Your Time Has Come ranked pretty high on my list. A bit disappointed these didn't make the list, but that's just how it is.

Also, what is "0.25"? I've never heard of that.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #787 on: January 23, 2022, 12:56:47 PM »
24  Strange Deja-Vu #56

I prefer this song with Overture 1928 before it. Akin to The Gift of Music in The Astonishing, I like how this song describes the setting of the story. How these memories and dreams Nicholas is having feels so very familiar to him, as if he's been there before. I enjoy the melodies the most, especially the keyboards and the vocals. The run from Regression to Fatal Tragedy I can listen to in one sitting as they just flow fantastically together. I love SFAM because it's about a man who is trying to find answers for these feelings and memories that are haunting his life, they consistently bother him enough for him to seek out a therapist and go under hypnosis, which he finds closure once he visits her grave and then finds solace after her story has been told and he finds out the truth. Which then makes that ending more "spooky"....

23 Illumination Theory  #34

I could say a lot of things about this song. The meaning is really fascinating, What are you willing to live and die for? In the Embracing Circle section, this describes that moment of self-reflection, the moment of considering that question. In The Pursuit of Truth, the lyrics mention the things that various people will live, kill and die for. Such as a mother for her children, the junkie for their high, and rebels for their freedom. The ending section of Surrender, Trust, and Passion is where you understand what you were seeking with the question, when you understand the paradox of the many reasons people will live, kill, and die for. The most fascinating thing with this meaning is how it relates to the situation humanity was thrust onto recently, these very reasons people live, kill, and die for was shown to us. Humanities back was against the wall and times were/are uncertain. "Hope can be a shadow fleeting, I would rather die believing, capture it all in a final act of faith."

22  Blind Faith #14

I noticed and am enjoying how some of these ranking pairings can sort of go together in meaning. This song is about a man who is questioning the blind faith of this higher power. How humanity itself is struggling and suffering while they have it all, the bigger house and an iron fence to keep others out. My favorite part of the song are when these lyrics appear, their meaning says a lot, "and still life pushes on with or without you, we've got to carry on, our will will guide us to a place where we belong, nowhere lies the truth, I am the believer who gives purpose onto you." I like how the lyrics end with the person basically calling out the messiah to arrive, like he's ready for him to appear and throw us a pure lifeline, as if he's too proud to come and save the people, which the person says there's more than what we understand now that humanity needs to see. In the end, the person chooses to continue to have blind faith in this higher power, but rather comes to call out the messiah to sort of declare, "I am ready, bring it on!"

21  Space Dye-Vest #31

What I find fascinating regarding this song is how it is Kevin Moore's sole contribution to the band, entirely written by him. This song showcases where Kevins musical mindset was wanting to go, which is more atmospheric and emotion based. I am one who does not mind the samples, I enjoy them because they add a lot to the mood of the song. I just wonder why he decided to use the Conan sample. The band enhanced the song immensely and it's shown on Breaking The Fourth Wall. I really wanted to go to this show because they were playing this song. But we got a great recording of the song so I don't mind, especially JLB. This is a beautiful melody and I am so glad the band decided to play it live regardless of it being considered KM's song. It's a good song and it deserved to have been played live.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #788 on: January 23, 2022, 01:20:12 PM »
I remember when this was all we had for a Space Dye Vest performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j65jqO2fRs
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #789 on: January 23, 2022, 08:53:37 PM »
As we get ready for the top 20, here is how the rankings looked outside of the top 100 for all songs that got votes, but didn't make the list.

129 Just Let Me Breathe

This is the most offensive result of the rankings. I’m confident had the amount of submissions been much higher that it would’ve made the top 100, but I’m still shocked! This is such a fun song!!I had it at 29 and hope they put it back in the set someday.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #790 on: January 23, 2022, 08:54:04 PM »
24. Strange Déjŕ Vu: #4 for me and pretty happy I posted the highest rank for it, as it’s a long time favorite. This song is DT with words, lots of words. Was their most narrative song before The Astonishing… starts full, then killer lead-in at the midpoint deftly avoids a virtuoso section but instead keeps the lyrical charge going. Extended last chorus completes the narrative table setting, and is not only one of my peak DT moments but was also my favorite delivery of the D/T tour by far - JLB still delivering (Extended chorus technique nicely reused for The Alien too!)

23. Illumination Theory: #15 which is higher than I thought it would be but I refused to adjust what the ranking engine gave me. Easily my favorite theme for one of their epics, and the ambient part is pretty sweet. Orchestra part needed to be better integrated though (see AVFTTOTW). I appreciate that, for the most part, their epics have very little thematic or musical overlap. IT has its place. (Should have been the name of the album too.)

22. Blind Faith: Got it at #40 but I have to be clear, the middle verse and solo section are all time prog metal nirvana. They were just in full control at the time of 6D. Shortcoming is that for a band that I think excels at closing out songs it always seemed like this one just… goes. Compose an ending and tighten this up! I bet it’d rate much, much higher for everyone.

21 Space-Dye Vest: #85 here, may have been my #1 when was released and I was a teen, but the samples/lyrics feel stuck in a certain kind of immaturity. Awesome mood (Awake was soooo cool after I&W) but doesn’t resonate anymore.

Also, what is "0.25"? I've never heard of that.

Haha :lol :facepalm: that would be “6:00 from excel spreadsheets” I caught too late that I sent it, maybe a few others did too so it’s not dead last? Of course 6:00 being the 25% point of the day so was translated as .25.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #791 on: January 23, 2022, 08:59:14 PM »
I wondered about 0.25 too. When I put 6:00 in my sheet I saw it made it a time, so I changed it to a text field. I never would have thought it could or would change it to .25 based on it representing a quarter of the day being over. Why would a spreadsheet think anyone would want to consider denoting time in that manner? 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #792 on: January 23, 2022, 09:02:12 PM »
I figured that was some weird demo from the Majesty days or something, so I left it as is, and since I was going through and trying to update the many top 100s into Excel for the final list, I didn't double check the master list of songs here. Oh well. :lol

Top 20 starts tomorrow!!  :metal :metal

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #793 on: January 23, 2022, 09:11:07 PM »
Wait... all those songs got a vote? Barfbag got a vote?

Offline 425

« Reply #794 on: January 23, 2022, 09:23:37 PM »
Cool, Kev, thanks for sharing the rest of the rankings! I'm going to comment on all the ones that made my list.

First, I suppose it's just an artifact of what happens when zero or almost zero people include a song on the list, but it's weird to see The Answer, Regression, Whispers on the Wind, Brother Can You Hear Me and Astonishing down below, like, Raw Dog. Those are perfectly good songs, IMO, just not quite top 100 material. Astonishing came close for me, though (#104).

142. The Road to Revolution
My ranking: #76

I know there's somewhat of a sentiment here that the first disc should have just ended with A New Beginning, and that may be behind the low ranking of this one. I couldn't disagree more. I really like "recap" songs like this, and I think this one is not only really well done, but actually full of awesome musical and character moments. The whole intro, especially the guitar part right before the vocals come in is awesome. And I actually think every vocal part is awesome, both from performance-wise and lyrically. "If love's a risk, it's worth a chance" is great, and honestly, "Arhys, time is running out / What will your decision be? / If you still have any doubt / Think about Evangeline" and "Change my mind / A waste of time / For soon he will be mine" are two of the top ten or so parts on the album that I find myself singing most often.

This is a really good song on its own, a great song in context, and doesn't deserve to be down in the 140s.

139. Losing Faythe
My ranking: #97

I suspect the low placement of this one has a lot to do with "ballad fatigue" on The Astonishing, because I think it's a good song and a really important character moment for Nafaryus.

Honestly, this one snuck into my top 100 in large part on the strength of reprising significant parts of Chosen, which is one of my favorite songs on the album. But I also think the last section is really powerful, and quite emotional in the context of the album.

138. Begin Again
My ranking: #74

So I guess I'm just more of an Astonishing-ballad fan than the average poster. Another really good song here—I think #74 might have been a little overzealous, but I still think it's top 100. A lot of great stuff from Jordan in the intro, and a strong James performance. Best moments are "In an instant... life could change" and "I dream of peace above all else."

135. A Tempting Offer
My ranking: #56

This is one of my favorite songs on The Astonishing. I really like the confrontation between the two characters here. James really chews some scenery as Daryus, and I am here for it. "When Daddy does arrive... He's in for a surprise" into that little instrumental section, and then the back-and-forth, with "You do know who I am" as Daryus's best line and "This fight's not his to lose" as Arhys's. And then the final section where Daryus describes his motivation is definitely among those top ten memorable moments on the album for me. Love this one.

132. The Walking Shadow
My ranking: #86

Another good song coming at an important moment in The Astonishing. This one is pretty heavy and intense, and offers the opportunity for James to chew more scenery as Daryus. This song definitely milks the drama of the mistaken identity situation, which I actually think is earned storywise because it results from and heightens the contrast between the siblings' reasons for coming to Heaven's Cove. And the music fits it well.

Listening to it again now, I think I should have had My Last Farewell in the top 100, too. For some reason, when I made the list, I was thinking of it as a really short transition, but it's actually a full companion piece to The Walking Shadow. "Have I wandered into someone's nightmare," "How many more have to die before you will open your eyes" and "All your life... don't let go" are great moments. And the music absolutely carries this crucial story moment, with a lot of dynamics between the soft intro and some of the heaviest moments on the album. Not including it is a definite miss by me. Should probably be in the 70s or so.

127. Enigma Machine
My ranking: #96

I get the sense that this song is not especially popular, almost hated in some quarters, and I've never really gotten that? I'd have it somewhere around the middle of the pack on DT12. I think it has a fun main motif, and a lot of entertaining moments. Is it as strong an instrumental as the likes of Erotomania and Overture 1928? No. But it's an enjoyable song.

125. The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun
My ranking: #100

Couldn't resist sneaking this one in my final spot. I think this song has so much potential, and doesn't quite come together to become all it could have been. For one thing, I absolutely concede that it takes too long to get started. But once it gets going, there are some really awesome parts. The "There must have been a time when I thought that you were watching" verse builds a ton of tension." And the "chorus" ("In higher lives we seem to be...") is really good. I feel like it could have been more—I hear a full choir on that part, or at least a power metal multi-layered part—but it's good even as is.

123. When Your Time Has Come
My ranking: #82

Most of this one is a bit straightforward, and might be a little high at #82, but it's good straightforward, and it's elevated by the story context, and it's a good JLB performance. The song is further elevated by the Faythe part at the end—"On the worst of days when I felt most alone" is really good.

114. Heaven's Cove
My ranking: #75

A piece from The Astonishing that I've long felt was under-discussed. I think this is just a beautiful scene-setting song. Really like the choir/guitar riffs combo here.

112. Far From Heaven
My ranking: #25

Out of all my disagreements with the list, this is the one that breaks my heart. I think this is an absolutely beautiful piano piece with an incredible JLB performance. It helps that I really emotionally connected with the lyrics when I was younger. But I think I would still find it a beautiful song. The best part is the change leading into "You can't imagine the hell I'm going through."

111. Paralyzed
My ranking: #98

What is this, a Distance over Time song that I put higher than the consensus? I did not expect this at all. This is in the top half of the album for me. I like this slower, heavier piece that really leans all the way into the direction they were going on this album instead of just going halfway.

110. Take Away My Pain
My ranking: #63

I've never understood the hate for this song. I think it's a really beautiful piece. Just gorgeous, emotional vocal melodies. I like the album version, but I would agree it's not the best version of this song because of the vaguely Caribbean vibe which is a bit out of place.

106. Eve
My ranking: #68

I understand why this didn't make the list: It's not the easiest song to get your hands on, and it's way different from DT's usual sound. But I think it's a beautiful piece of music. I prefer the version without the samples, from the Silent Man single. Lovely slow playing from Petrucci, and the kind of piano that only Kevin Moore did.

104. Along for the Ride
My ranking: #91

This is one where I'm not going to argue much with the final ranking—13 spaces isn't much of a difference in the context of this list, particularly when we're in the 90-110 range, which is sort of the top of my "good but doesn't stand out" range. This is near the very top of that range because I think the second verse is really good and the bridge is excellent. The keyboard solo is kind of Beneath the Surface solo part 2, but it's still good the second time.

102. Chosen
My ranking: #51

After Far From Heaven, this is the ranking I disagree with second-most. IMO, this is a top three Astonishing song. It's easily the best-executed ballad on the album, with every element of the song working to create a really uplifting effect. Wholeheartedly agree with Ben_Jamin that "I can't climb this mountain without you" is an incredibly powerful chorus. The whole part from the first iteration of that chorus through the solo, the "Reason now I see" chorus, and the bridge is incredible. Just one of the absolute highlights of the album.

129 Just Let Me Breathe

This is the most offensive result of the rankings. I’m confident had the amount of submissions been much higher that it would’ve made the top 100, but I’m still shocked! This is such a fun song!!I had it at 29 and hope they put it back in the set someday.

I think this is a really fun song, but I couldn't quite justify it. On a good day it'd be in there for me.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline HOF

« Reply #795 on: January 23, 2022, 09:35:04 PM »

110. Take Away My Pain

I've never understood the hate for this song. I think it's a really beautiful piece. Just gorgeous, emotional vocal melodies. I like the album version, but I would agree it's not the best version of this song because of the vaguely Caribbean vibe which is a bit out of place.

It makes more sense when you think of it being in the vein of Peter Gabriel's In Your Eyes or Genesis' Follow You Follow Me.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #796 on: January 23, 2022, 10:13:20 PM »
425, thanks for your recap of yours that didn't make the list.  Your in depth writing puts mine to shame.  I was getting ready to post mine at the same time, just to get them in before the Top Twenty gets listed, as we are briskly moving along. I'll also mention that my wife may not be able to name more than a handful of these, but she's never objected to any during our car rides.  That's who my most important critic is :D

102 Chosen #71 (on a better album, this would rate higher)
103 Lord Nafaryus #77 (the ‘Pontius Pilate’ track with the fun beginning and snarling ending)
104 Along for the Ride #73 (other than the Styx ‘Sing for the Day’ synth, this might have been higher)
105 Out of Reach #62 (one of their best ballads)
106 Eve  #84 (I enjoy ‘Cleaning Out The Closet’ more than six of their official studio LPs)
110 Take Away My Pain #59
111 Paralyzed #49
113 Build Me Up, Break Me Down #56 (I dislike many moments of trickery with James' voice, but not here for some reason)
115 Prophets of War #64
117 Untethered Angel #60
118 Don’t Look Past Me #81
120 The Way It Used to Be #97
121 Dystopian Overture #52 (that last minute is such a grandiose lead in for ‘The Gift of Music)
122 The Answer Lies Within #20 (the following 8vm songs I had at #21 and #22)
123 When Your Time Has Come #95
124 A Better Life #88 (the corny beginning hurts it, but the ending is pure Broadway)
126 Viper King #33 (placed it after ‘Out of Reach’ on D/T as a flow change, plus it’s yet another Dream Theater oddity…..it’s actually FUN!)
129 Just Let Me Breathe #89
131 Burning My Soul #15 (because I so enjoyed the demo with Hell’s Kitchen)
133 Room 137 #39  ( another ‘fun’ under 5 minute song that I love blasting in my car in the summer, with that Beatles and Paul Revere & The Raiders 60’s vibe)
140 Bombay Vindaloo #61 (my favorite on ‘Marquee’)
141 Cover My Eyes #92
146 Through My Words #28 (as a lead in to my #29 ‘Fatal Tragedy’)
147 Where Are You Now #87
152 Regression #43 (way too high, but it sets the table for what's to come)
159 Astonishing #93 (for the last three minutes)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #797 on: January 23, 2022, 10:15:48 PM »
Biggest discrepancies for me appear to be:

#111 Paralyzed #111. I have at 42. Good song, maybe too high at 42 but still in the upper half of their catalog.
#112 Far From Heaven #51 Great song to lead in to the BAI/BNS as one of their top album finishes.
#113: Build Me Up, Break Me Down #37 Wow that was low. This is one of those songs where I am glad they don't have a lot of songs like this, but it is great when one can shine like this one does.

Offline 425

« Reply #798 on: January 24, 2022, 12:01:01 AM »

110. Take Away My Pain

It makes more sense when you think of it being in the vein of Peter Gabriel's In Your Eyes or Genesis' Follow You Follow Me.

I wasn't familiar with the references! That's interesting, but I don't think it changes the fact that, while I don't mind the Caribbean thing, I think the song is better played straight (as on Once in a Livetime).

425, thanks for your recap of yours that didn't make the list.  Your in depth writing puts mine to shame.

Thank you! I write detailed posts because I really enjoy doing so, but it's always nice when someone gets something out of it.

Glad to have a couple of people confirm that I'm not totally crazy when it comes to Paralyzed. And good call by both of you on Build Me Up, Break Me Down. That was one of the closest songs to making my list that didn't quite get there. Though I don't think of it often, I enjoy it every time I listen to it.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #799 on: January 24, 2022, 12:56:38 AM »
125. The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun
My ranking: #100

Couldn't resist sneaking this one in my final spot. I think this song has so much potential, and doesn't quite come together to become all it could have been. For one thing, I absolutely concede that it takes too long to get started. But once it gets going, there are some really awesome parts. The "There must have been a time when I thought that you were watching" verse builds a ton of tension." And the "chorus" ("In higher lives we seem to be...") is really good. I feel like it could have been more—I hear a full choir on that part, or at least a power metal multi-layered part—but it's good even as is.

I've just got one question about these 'the One Who Help to Set the Sun' lyrics:

Watching my window, I was led like a child.
As the roadway lamplight misguided my mind through the night,
a shadow of limits.
We were racing the rain, my hands held the wheel.
My eyes tried to hold their place.
There must be a time when I thought that you were watching.
It had to be when my senses lost control, I’d thought I slipped away,
I thought I could still feel us moving.
It must have been a cloud, no bigger than a man’s hand.

Every reason I risk my life to come back to you,
is locked behind your door, you’re my immunity.
Outside I watched you burn, heavy hearts were bleeding.
A cry for help, a familiar voice,
my melting hands streaked the glass.
As I walked away, I wondered what had really happened.
Had I run out of time, did I push myself too far?
As my last step fell, I felt my hands upon the wheel.
Had I come back to life or did I ever leave at all?

In higher lives, we seem to be always a moment too late.
We’re past the time, when we looked on,
now we’re the onces who help to set the sun.
This time for real I locked the door behind me,
my mind was still a wreck, from what I saw.
For when my hands are still, I’ll recognize the message,
never again will my senses lose control.

In higher lives, we seem to be always a moment too late.
We’re past the time, when we looked on,
now we’re the onces who help to set the sun.

I mean, honestly, what are they all about? I can't seem to make any story of it that makes sense at some point. It might be my English is crackin' or my imagination lets me down big time, but these are amongst the most vage, weird and strange lyrics Petrucci ever wrote. I ranked it in the 80's-tier myself and am somehow connected with the song, but surely not by the storyline.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #800 on: January 24, 2022, 01:25:10 AM »
142. The Road to Revolution
My ranking: #76

I know there's somewhat of a sentiment here that the first disc should have just ended with A New Beginning, and that may be behind the low ranking of this one. I couldn't disagree more. I really like "recap" songs like this, and I think this one is not only really well done, but actually full of awesome musical and character moments. The whole intro, especially the guitar part right before the vocals come in is awesome. And I actually think every vocal part is awesome, both from performance-wise and lyrically. "If love's a risk, it's worth a chance" is great, and honestly, "Arhys, time is running out / What will your decision be? / If you still have any doubt / Think about Evangeline" and "Change my mind / A waste of time / For soon he will be mine" are two of the top ten or so parts on the album that I find myself singing most often.

This is a really good song on its own, a great song in context, and doesn't deserve to be down in the 140s.

I agree with you. It's a great representation of each characters "Path of Division" that they face, this is where they are each faced with this question and we the audience are left going into intermission with the wonderment of what each of their decisions will be. I like how we are also left with Nefaryus stating he changed his mind. I can picture him in his throne room, overlooking the empire when declaring his change of heart with a smirk on his face. Also, how each character exclaims at the end, "Open Eyes, help me see which choice is right."

139. Losing Faythe
My ranking: #97

I suspect the low placement of this one has a lot to do with "ballad fatigue" on The Astonishing, because I think it's a good song and a really important character moment for Nafaryus.

Honestly, this one snuck into my top 100 in large part on the strength of reprising significant parts of Chosen, which is one of my favorite songs on the album. But I also think the last section is really powerful, and quite emotional in the context of the album.

I love the ballads in The Astonishing, and there are not that many when you consider how each theme is utilized within the story. I consider this the second best song on the album, and I ranked it at #17. Everything about this song is beautiful. Nefaryus realizing why Faythe and Gabriel saw the light within him to change, but it took his daughter dying to break past his arrogance, is a big character shift and realization for the story. I would consider it the precursor to the climax of Hymn of A Thousand Voices. Arabelle's theme here is great too, and shows her motherly nature towards Faythe. I imagine both of them holding Faythe in their arms as she is gasping for air. In the end, Nefaryus ends up pleading to Gabriel, to the savior, to use his gift to save what he holds dear. This song also utilizes the Begin Again theme which is a great song as well.

138. Begin Again
My ranking: #74

So I guess I'm just more of an Astonishing-ballad fan than the average poster. Another really good song here—I think #74 might have been a little overzealous, but I still think it's top 100. A lot of great stuff from Jordan in the intro, and a strong James performance. Best moments are "In an instant... life could change" and "I dream of peace above all else."

I love this song as well too. It's #28 for me. For me, this song describes the true purpose of Faythe and what she is born to do. "I dream of peace above all else, to share a world where we could be ourselves." This quote is significant for it's theme being used in Losing Faythe. I love the last line though as it relates to real world situations as well, "We must learn to rise above the past, before we can at last, begin again." it's a great quote too for people going through personal life struggles. The part I really enjoy though is the outro, it's one of the most interesting rhythms and melodies they have done, as it's uplifting and really joyous, especially with those bells.

I like that you have a lot of The Astonishing songs in you rankings as well.  :tup
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 01:30:22 AM by Ben_Jamin »

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #801 on: January 24, 2022, 01:54:56 AM »
I like that you have a lot of The Astonishing songs in you rankings as well.  :tup

I've had these pearls ranked:

#91 Dystopian Overture
#88 Brother, Can You Here Me?
#87 Act of Faythe
#83 The Road to Evolution
#82 The Path That Devides
#74 Ravenskill (so beautiful, the way LaBrie delivered this particular piece)
#73 Hymn of a Thousand Voices (Himney entering the Amphitheater with the Ravenskill people singing is hair-on-the-arm-raising)
#72 Whispers On the Wind
#67 When Your Time Has Come
#66 The Gift of Music
#47 Chosen
#43 Our New World
#16 A Savior In the Square

The Astonishing seemed to be consuming 13% of my entire list.

Offline erciccio

« Reply #802 on: January 24, 2022, 05:01:23 AM »
I also have many songs from The astonishing ranked

95   When Your Time Has Come
93   2285 Entr'acte
89   Act of Faythe
88   Heaven's Cove
86   The X Aspect
83   Losing Faythe
82   Astonishing
81   Three Days
80   Lord Nafaryus
61   A Better Life
60   A Life Left Behind
56   Begin Again
55   The Gift of Music
51   Our New World
48   Chosen
45   Moment of Betrayal
38   Ravenskill
36   The Path That Divides
30   A New Beginning

I was quite shocked by the low ranking of a few songs, Chosen and A Better Life in primis.

My idea is that this is such a polarizing album that the people that (legitimately) hate it did not even bother to try to rank a few songs as "stand-alone"..

Dear 425, I was also quite disappointed by the low ranking of "Far from heaven"..(#42 for me).
I think it's quite as good as Wait for sleep, and it's a perfect prelude to the amazing Breaking all illusions..

Looking forward to the top 20!
I had correctly guessed the songs that are in...but I have no clue on how the final battle it's going to end!!

Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di piů

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #803 on: January 24, 2022, 05:22:59 AM »
Let the games begin!! :metal :metal

20 At Wit’s End
Appeared on 24 of 26 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 5
Highest Ranking: 2 (Ben_Jamin, marztacy)

Fantastic song. It felt like many of us knew that was an instant classic when we first got Distance over Time.  I had it at 25.

19 The Mirror
Appeared on 25 of 26 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 4
Highest Ranking: 2 (Setlist Scotty)

This is from Awake, therefore is great by definition. ;)  I had this at 18.  A rare DT song that slays despite not having any solos (talking the studio version here).

Offline Wim Kruithof

Re: Top 100 Dream Theater songs countdown (Top 20 underway!!)
« Reply #804 on: January 24, 2022, 05:58:49 AM »
22 Blind Faith #79
21 Space-Dye Vest #29
20 At Wit's End #40
19 The Mirror #10

I wonder how it comes that The Mirror is so much higher ranked than Lie. I ranked them at 9-10 and these are always a one-two punch, for me. Awake is one of my all time favorite albums and next to this wonderful combination - and A Mind by Itself - Space-Dye Vest totally justifies that. I saw mentioned in the thread that this song is literally the ending of Kevin Moore's era and it couldn't end better then by this dark, vunerable piece full of reflection and pain. I do not bother the sample that much and as said before, this song is unique in their entire discography. There's nothing like this brought out after.