Author Topic: Top 100 Dream Theater songs countdown (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 53500 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Top 100 Dream Theater songs countdown (Top 50 now going!)
« Reply #735 on: January 20, 2022, 06:16:02 PM »
Two more!!

26 Take the Time
Appeared on 22 of 26 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 5
Highest Ranking: 8 (Elite, TAC, erciccio)

I was taken aback to see this left off four lists and finish pretty low on a few others, but enough us were smart :P and ranked it pretty high to where it still got to 26. This still feels too low, but small sample size and all.  I had it 9, one spot three who it at 8.  Magnificent song from start to finish, featuring some of JLB's best singing ever.

25 In the Presence of Enemies
Appeared on 24 of 26 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 3
Highest Ranking: 5 (geeeemo)

This finishing ahead of Take the Time feels a little gross, but I know we fans love those long songs.  I was one of the two who didn't rank it.  I likely would have ranked both on their own (though neither would be very high at all), but as a single entity, it doesn't work well as a 25 minute plus song. I never listen to it as a single song, thus I could not rank it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #736 on: January 20, 2022, 06:39:40 PM »
I'm a bit surprised ITPOE made it on 24 of the 26 lists considering the hate SC gets. I had it at 28 myself. I really love most of it.

I literally cannot fathom Take The Time being left off completely.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #737 on: January 20, 2022, 07:35:02 PM »
Take the Time
My ranking: Not ranked (#136). This was one of two songs that I predicted could have ended up being that song in the Top 5 where not everyone had it in their Top 100. This song's nice, it's just heavily outclassed by many, many other Dream Theater songs. There are some particularly good parts, but when you're dealing with Dream Theater's discography, some songs will inevitably have to place somewhere towards the bottom despite their good qualities.

In the Presence of Enemies
My ranking: #14. I love every part of this song. Prelude is a great instrumental opening, Resurrection is an excellent follow-up to Prelude, Heretic has this really cool and eerie atmosphere and I enjoy how it progresses, Slaughter of the Damned is awesome, The Reckoning is a really cool instrumental (I'm not sure why some people seem to dislike it so much), and Salvation is the perfect way to end the song.

Offline HOF

« Reply #738 on: January 20, 2022, 08:01:36 PM »
I have Take the Time at 20. Like PMU, at one point it would have been much higher but I’ve also worn it out a bit over time. But it’s a great song, one of the DT trademark tracks. The “unbroken spirit obscured and disquiet” section is definitely one of James’ best moments. The instrumental section is also one of DT’s finest, and a style that they don’t explore often enough IMO (The Way It Used To Be has kind of a similar feel). It’s hard to imagine the universe where this is this not one of DT’s top 100 songs!

ITPOE is at 98 because I needed to put something there. :P

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #739 on: January 20, 2022, 08:06:48 PM »
Had Take the Time at #33. Great song, just have a few more that rank above it.

I love ItPoE, and had it at #9. Someone once asked on the forum what the best part of this song was. I answered "This is the easiest question I've answered all week: James." In the hands (voice?) of a lesser singer, this song would fall somewhere between mediocre and silly. That "Dark Master" section probably should be ridiculous, but James is able to elevate it to something special.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #740 on: January 20, 2022, 08:13:24 PM »
Someone once asked on the forum what the best part of this song was. I answered "This is the easiest question I've answered all week: James." In the hands (voice?) of a lesser singer, this song would fall somewhere between mediocre and silly. That "Dark Master" section probably should be ridiculous, but James is able to elevate it to something special.

I agree Chris. Say what you want about Constant Motion or The Dark Eternal Night, but James is spectacular on Systematic Chaos. They don't ask a for a ton of range from him on that album, but what he does sing is perfect. I know most people rate SC pretty low, and I understand why, but I think James' performance on this album is way overlooked.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #741 on: January 20, 2022, 08:26:05 PM »
I will happily say what I want about Constant Motion or The Dark Eternal Night... they are awful, and fail to do what ItPoE (that acronym still gives me trouble) does so well: showcase the talents of one of the best singers in the genre.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #742 on: January 20, 2022, 08:30:01 PM »
I will happily say what I want about Constant Motion or The Dark Eternal Night... they are awful, and fail to do what ItPoE (that acronym still gives me trouble) does so well: showcase the talents of one of the best singers in the genre.

No, they don't showcase the talents of James...you're right. I was saying that.  :P But songs like Prophets Of War, The Ministry Of Lost Souls....James is fantastic on.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #743 on: January 20, 2022, 08:33:36 PM »
Sorry, yes, he shines on most of that album. And a main reason I have ItPoE so high on my list.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #744 on: January 20, 2022, 10:33:48 PM »
#26 Take the Time  -  43 for me. I really enjoy it, I think because I didnt hear I&W in the beginning, but more of their later music first, I dont have the same love for  it as others. As I look at my list, I could have put it even a bit lower.

#25 In the Presence of Enemies  - 5. I have only been through 2 tours, so when they played (and I didnt know it was coming) part 1, I was thrilled. Would have loved to have part 2 as well. It is a regular go to song - the live version when I mountain bike. Its a great story, that has a positve ending. I can see in my minds eye it all play out. Much of it makes me think of Sidious in Star Wars and the circle (was it in  episode7?). This has the things I love about DT. Story, heavy, epic, long.

Offline 425

« Reply #745 on: January 20, 2022, 11:04:40 PM »
28. The Spirit Carries On
My ranking: #41

I'm a little bit sympathetic to the sentiment that this one gets too much attention compared to other songs, but when I listen to it, I have to say that it really cannot be denied. It's a very good song. JP is fantastic all over it, JLB does an excellent performance, including the switch to the high-pitched Victoria part, and the finale is grand. It's definitely a song that goes to the next level in the context of SFAM, too.

27. Pull Me Under
My ranking: #23

This is the first Dream Theater song I heard—so original, right? But look, this song opened a whole new world for me in terms not only of how complex music could be, but also in terms of how bright and melodic metal could be. This song just glimmers, in a good way. And I was astounded by James. The way he hits some of the high, clean parts on this song is unreal. I'll always prefer the clean chorus of the studio version compared to any of the live performances where he sort of grits it up, although those aren't bad by any means.

At the end of the day, they can play this one as many times as they want, I'm still going to get excited when I hear those opening guitar chords, knowing that something magical is about to happen. Beautiful start to a beautiful album.

26. Take the Time
My ranking: #22

This is an awesome song that I might have under-ranked just a bit (listening to it and UAGM—my #20—the last couple of days, I enjoyed TTT a bit more).

My first impression of this song was that it's cool how they managed to do something that's a bit funky while still keeping in tune with the style of Images and Words. I really like the idea of having each of the verses written by a different band member, and it's really cool how a different style comes across in each verse, both in the melody and in James's approach. "Unbroken spirit obscured and disquiet" is my favorite—just a tour de force by JLB. And, of course, the finale is fantastic.

It's unfortunate that they never figured out how to do justice by this song in a live setting. Aside from the matter of the second verse being un-singable, they never really figured out how to do the chorus.

25. In the Presence of Enemies
My ranking: #18

There's actually only one DT epic I would place decisively ahead of this one. There's another one that's one place ahead of it on my list, but that choice could really have gone either way. You can say what you want about the rest of Systematic Chaos; In the Presence of Enemies works. It works its way all the up to the elite ranks of my top 20 DT songs.

While I prefer to listen to it as a single composition, the one thing I like about the decision to split it apart is that ITPOE1 is a top-tier nine-minute prog metal piece on its own. But I don't actually think there is a step down in quality going into Part II. Heretic is superb. The build-up here is incredible, and the "Angels fall" chorus is perfectly suited to the piece. And the finale is really good, a latter-day James highlight. While the two sections between are the weakest in the piece, they are still parts I really enjoy a lot, and I don't think they drag it down much.

Part of what makes ITPOE work is that the music and lyrics really complement each other. I can see how the story is a little hokey, but I think it's suitable for a prog metal epic, and there are a lot of good thematic ties to the music. Especially Heretic, which really feels like the meeting of some secret coven.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #746 on: January 20, 2022, 11:06:05 PM »
Totally agree that having Take the Time rank behind ITPOE is gross.

TTT would likely be top 15 for me, maybe even top 10 and I don’t think I would have ITPOE ranked at all.

Petrucci and James are just amazing in TTT

Offline erciccio

« Reply #747 on: January 20, 2022, 11:58:06 PM »
Seeing ITPOE above Take The Time was a total shock for me!
 :natalieportman: :natalieportman:

IM(not-so)HO there is more creativity and talent in the TTT unison alone than in the whole ITPOE.

But de gustibus non est disputanda (are we really sure? :sad:)
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #748 on: January 21, 2022, 12:49:15 AM »
26 Take The Time (Did Not Rank)

Although the song does have an excellent groove, I just never could get into this song as much as their other songs that did make my list. That does not mean I think it sucks. I enjoy the groove of it, and I enjoy the use of the samples in the first verse. It is a fantastic live song, and I am glad I got to see it, I sang along during the chorus and the ending chorus. I enjoyed it a lot more due to it being played in the album order, and it being extended.

25 In The Presence of Enemies #20

I am one that enjoys Systematic Chaos. I was anticipating Dream Theaters new album after Octavarium, it was the first new album of the band I got to experience as a fan. When I first heard the notes to the album I was intrigued. Then when the guitar solo hit, I loved it and was excited to hear that tone. The music in part 2 makes me imagine the story in an anime style. The bass and keyboard atmosphere in Heretic is amazing. I got to witness part 1 and I was really excited when I heard the opening notes. I just need to hear part 2.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #749 on: January 21, 2022, 07:01:18 AM »
26 Take the Time (#23)
Amazing song: it's epic, prog, very commercial in the chorus and with a lot of groove - one of the most unique songs in DT's catalogue.

25 In the Presence of Enemies (#28)
Originally I submitted my list with the pt.1 at # 28 and pt.2 at # 82 (?!). Needles to say, although I like a lot pt. 2, I think pt. 1 is much better. IMO it would be more correct to vote in pt.1 and pt.2 separately, because the band released them originally this way, not as a continuous piece of music. Like we did with the 12 Step Suite, as we submittted its parts separately. Kev, I'm not complaining - we all are doing this just for fun (and thank you a lot for this really cool thread!). Just sharing an opinion.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #750 on: January 21, 2022, 11:20:54 AM »
TTT suffers from 2 things for me, although I have it ranked in my list: I don’t like James’ singing in the first verse, and JP’s great solo fades out way too early. Definitely did not have ITPoE ranked.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #751 on: January 21, 2022, 08:00:18 PM »
Today's two!!

24 Strange Déjà Vu
Appeared on 25 of 26 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 4 (NoFred)

I had this at 27, so this feels about right.  As I mentioned with Overture 1928 was featured, if that and this were considered one song, it would be top 20 for me, and I suspect it would have finished top 20 here overall, but 24 is still highly respectable.

23 Illumination Theory
Top 10 finishes: 6
Highest Ranking: 2 (Wim Kruithof)

This took quite a tumble for me when I did the rankings engine.  I had it at 67 originally, yet it finished at 100 the second time around.  I love parts of it, especially the ambient and orchestral sections in the middle, but I find the ending to not quite land right.  The background vocals just sound kinda weird. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #752 on: January 21, 2022, 08:36:56 PM »
I have Strange Deja Vu at 29, so about in line with the forum.

IT I have at 89. It is in line with how I feel about much of DT12. It is a good song. That's it. There is nothing particularly special or memorable about it. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #753 on: January 21, 2022, 08:44:32 PM »
I'm pretty sure I had IT in my top 5, would have to check.  To me, the ending is possibly the best the band has ever done.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline HOF

« Reply #754 on: January 21, 2022, 08:59:16 PM »
Strange De Ja Vu was at 26 for me, so this is just about right. Great opener for SFAM.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #755 on: January 22, 2022, 12:56:05 AM »
26 Take the Time #-
25 In the Presence of Enemies #52
24 Strange Déjà Vu #95
23 Illumination Theory #2

From the whole discography, I find ranking the individual Scenes from a Memory-songs the hardest. Just can't really see them as separate songs and somehow always include the concept-thought. Same as with the Astonishing, though.

Illumination Theory is amongst my top 3. Although they can switch positions every once in a while, it has been top 3 since the first time I heard it and it shall never fall out of the top 5 I would say. From the Paradox de la Lumière Noire hair raises on my arm, 'cause you know by the groove of it, there's a momentum coming up that holds your grab for a while. Part II Live, Die, Kill is not the most extraordinary part, but sets the tone perfectly and builds the fundation of that overwhelming Embracing Circle section. It's a long piece but not by one seconds I lose any interrest. Of all their orchestral sections on any album, I'll think this one stands out at most lovely, most beautiful placed and most bombastic. Wonderful. The Pursuit of Truth brings the metal back in, with heavy riffs and beautiful simularity by Rudess, Petrucci and Myung.

When the song reaches it's final segments, everything before builds up this grand finale and man... how beautiful LaBrie delivered Surrender, Trust & Passion is beyond everything I've ever heard. It has brought tears in my eyes many, many times. From "to really feel the joy in life... till "on that cold and endless nights, you'll never be alone," I'm moved and overwhelmed.

But then he even tops his own magnificant piece by "passion grows within your heart, like a furnace burning bright. Untill you struggle through the dark, you'll never know that you're alive." That moment, the rare moment where the music takes over again and LaBrie's voice fades in the epic ending, that totally justified the number 2 spot on my list. An absolute wonderful, wonderful song.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #756 on: January 22, 2022, 10:25:56 AM »
#24 Strange DejaVu  14. Begins the greatest run of music for me. An album with this many fantastic rockers and heart tugging songs can't be beaten in my view

#23 Illumination Theory  - 3. I absolutely love this song. What Wim said I agree whole-heartily with. The live version evem more so. Yes, I have cried to this, and the message it so true.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #757 on: January 22, 2022, 10:45:38 AM »
The Spirit Carries on was my #10. The catharsis of Scenes, featuring one of JP's best solos. What's not to love?

Pull me Under was #37 on my list and that still feels about right. Bottom half of Images & Words, easily, but still a very good track.

Take the Time is amazing and I'm glad to be featured in the group of posters who ranked it highest (my #8). Doesn't need that much more explanation; good vocals, cool groove, great guitar work.. what does need explanation is the 4 people that didn't include this song!

I had In the Presence of Enemies at #18, because it's awesome. Systematic Chaos was the first DT album release I consciously witnessed, so this album will hold somewhat of a special place to me, but moreso because I have played this song on guitar - like a lot. I can't remember if I did well, but it was fun.

Strange Deja-Vu is waaaay too high (I had it at #56), but that's alright, it's still a good track and the first vocal thing (not counting Regression) that leads us into SFAM. I have played this one as well. My band even recorded a cover version of this (and Overture 1928) on our first EP. Good times. I know this song by heart, and it's cool.

I'm one of the two people who did not rank Illumination Theory (#132 with the ranking engine), and since some of the above posts are quite personal in a sense (aside from 6(!) top 10 finishes), I'll just leave it at that. I do not like the song, at all. Frankly, I think it's one of the worst pieces of music DT has made, even though it does contain some cool moments. But never mind my opinion there, general consensus shows I'm wrong.

I have a good idea of what songs to expect still, bar ONE. I can fill 20 of the remaining 21 places, so there's probably a surprise in there for me.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 10:50:50 AM by Elite »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #758 on: January 22, 2022, 11:36:07 AM »
Take the Time is amazing and I'm glad to be featured in the group of posters who ranked it highest (my #8). Doesn't need that much more explanation; good vocals, cool groove, great guitar work.. what does need explanation is the 4 people that didn't include this song!

Alright, I'll give it a shot. Mostly, the story of the piece doesn't strike me at all. Time to take the time, nah... too regular and too much of an open door to like, for me then. The intro is nice, absolutely and the riffs are pleasant. Once again LaBrie delivered an extraordinary piece of work and I love Kevin Moore playing. But as soon as the chorus comes, from "you can feel the waves coming on.." I think the song devaluates. Not to a bad level, it's still pretty descent and would top many many bands, but it just doesn't stand out to me as one of their best 100 songs.

But reading that you honestly consider Illumination Theory one of their worst pieces ever made... I assume you and me are loving Dream Theater from a whole other spectrum.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Online devieira73

« Reply #759 on: January 22, 2022, 12:46:53 PM »
24 Strange Deja Vu (#43)
I hear the scenes from SFAM as the complete songs, with the exception of DOE/OLT. Anyway, I think Overture 1928/SDV are equally great, complementig each other!

23 Illumination Theory (#30)
I wish the middle section, while very beautiful, had less nature sounds and that the band played along with the orchestra - like the overture of 6 degrees - to give a more sense of continuity and to sound more like a one cohesive song. To compesate that, the other sections are amazing, so it’s still a excellent epic!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #760 on: January 22, 2022, 01:24:58 PM »
Last two before we hit the top 20!!

22 Blind Faith
Top 10 finishes: 4
Highest Ranking: 2 (Laughingplace56)

Always been a big fan of this one.  This has never been a top 20 song for me, but always stayed in that next tier or two, and it finished at 35 for me this time around.  Love the vibe, and Rudess and LaBrie really shine in this one.

21 Space Dye Vest
Appeared on 23 of 26 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 7
Highest Ranking: 3 (Elite, ZirconBlue)

That has always been one of my favorites, but as I have aged and mellowed a tad, it has become even more of a favorite to where it finished at 4 on my list.  I was thrilled to see that two others had it ranked even higher!  I wasn't surprised to see it left off a few, as there has always been a vocal minority that really dislikes it, but it's good to see that many love enough for it to almost make the top 20.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #761 on: January 22, 2022, 01:31:06 PM »
Blind Faith: #10. Just realized I have 2 songs from the first 6D disc in the Top 10.

Space Dye Vest: #28. Along with songs like Disappear and Beneath the Surface, I would not want DT's catalog to be full of songs like these, but having a few songs like them makes me appreciate and love them all the more because of it.

Top 20 coming up. Getting serious now.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #762 on: January 22, 2022, 01:38:12 PM »
I like Blind Faith (#28). There's a bunch of vocal lines in there with cool delivery and the unison solo section is one of the band's best. Cool track, though it doesn't really interest me lyrically it's still a fun tune to sing along to as well.

Space Dye Vest is the song from Awake that hit me even harder than Innocence Faded (my #5) as a teen when I heard it the first time. It's probably the most emotional moment in Dream Theater's entire discography; a unique song compared to the rest of their material. Putting it at #3 was easy, though it could be swapped with my #4 (which so far hasn't shown up) on a different day. This song probably means more to me on an emotional level than the two I put above it. This is probably one of those songs that when you get it (7 top 10 finishes!), it means a lot to you, and when you don't, you dislike it to some extent. I'm firmly in the former group and that's likely not changing.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #763 on: January 22, 2022, 01:52:49 PM »
24 Strange Déjà Vu
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 4 (NoFred)

I have Strange Deja Vu at #40. I really like it. When I think of DT songs, it doesn't jump out at me, but it never disappoints and always gets me going.

23 Illumination Theory
Top 10 finishes: 6
Highest Ranking: 2 (Wim Kruithof)

I had Illumination Theory at #42. If it didn't have that needless orchestra section in the middle, it'd be Top 20. I had my son edit it out. It's the most useless passage in their catalog since they decided to make the Six Degrees second disc.

22 Blind Faith
Top 10 finishes: 4
Highest Ranking: 2 (Laughingplace56)

KEV>>"Always been a big fan of this one.  This has never been a top 20 song for me, but always stayed in that next tier or two, and it finished at 35 for me this time around.  Love the vibe, and Rudess and LaBrie really shine in this one. "

I agree with this. I have it at #53, but feel the same way. I think it'd be higher, but ..well, I'll blame the ranker.

21 Space Dye Vest
Appeared on 23 of 26 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 7
Highest Ranking: 3 (Elite, ZirconBlue)

The most surprising thing about Space Dye Vest is that it actually made 23 lists. I would've thought more people would've left it off. Me? I love it and rank it at #5. They crushed it on the AFTR tour.

Offline HOF

« Reply #764 on: January 22, 2022, 02:17:20 PM »
Wow, I did not expect Blind Faith to finish this high! I have it right there at 24, but I was always under the impression it was a little overshadowed on SDOIT. It’s easily my favorite track on that album, and the highest rated post SFAM track for me (actually The Dance of Eternity is the only SFAM track above it). I love the guitar tone on this song. It’s full and heavy without bashing you over the head too much. The instrumental section is killer, and while I’ve never quite gotten the lyrics, I think James did a solid job on them and his voice sounds great too.

Space-Dye Vest is 14 for me. Brilliant track with great atmosphere and lots of fun sound bites. I remember watching Room With a View for the first time and being able to quote the lines word for word. I also will drop the Conan lines into conversation from time to time. I love everything about this track, and I’m really glad the band didn’t abandon it after Kevin announced he was leaving. To me the outro is the perfect ending to Awake and a nice close to the Kevin Moore chapter of the band.

Online devieira73

« Reply #765 on: January 22, 2022, 05:40:21 PM »
22 Blind Faith (#36)
When I've heard it for the first time, My initial reaction was "Falling Into Infinity meets Liquid Tension Experiment?! WOW". After The Glass Prision, sure 6 Degrees wanted to impress me...

21 Space Dye Vest (#54)
One of the most unique songs in DT's catalogue. The excellent Awake's production really shines here. Incredible "ballad", so powerful and distant.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 05:51:06 PM by devieira73 »

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #766 on: January 22, 2022, 06:37:43 PM »
Strange Deja Vu
My ranking: #78. I'm surprised Strange Deja Vu ranked this high... but at the same time, I feel like my personal ranking of it is a little too low. This is how I would describe Strange Deja Vu: 0:00-2:30 is pretty good stuff, very enjoyable. 2:31-5:11 takes the song to a new level of greatness, and makes this one of those songs that instantly reminds me why I hold Dream Theater in such high regard.

Illumination Theory
My ranking: #4. One of Dream Theater's all-time best songs. This song shows everything Dream Theater is about and it is executed perfectly. The standout parts for me are The Embracing Circle, the instrumental section in The Pursuit of Truth, and the "easter egg" ending. This whole song is perfection. I love every part of it.

Blind Faith
My ranking: #13. This song used to be my second-favorite song on Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, but in more recent months it got knocked back to fourth place. But on my previous ranking of Dream Theater songs, this was at #12, so I still think just as highly of this song as I always have. It's a tough decision to make for certain, but this song has possibly the greatest instrumental section in DT's entire discography. Everything else in this song is of a similar quality, too. I also really enjoy the atmosphere of this song. It has this mysterious and almost lonely feel to it, a bit like Misunderstood. This song is so brilliantly made, and I wish I could rank it even higher.

Space-Dye Vest
My ranking: #19. When it comes to Space-Dye Vest, I'm in the "I love it" camp. While there are a couple other DT ballads I consider better, there's no other like this song. It feels very dark and hopeless, yet it's not in a depressing way like Disappear is. My favorite part of this song is at 4:40 and beyond, when the vocals come back and the guitar and drums come in not long after. The lyrics in this section are some of my favorites in any Dream Theater song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #767 on: January 22, 2022, 06:42:19 PM »
It's funny to hear you guys mention sections of Illumination Theory by name. I couldn't even name one section.  :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #768 on: January 22, 2022, 08:25:38 PM »
It's funny to hear you guys mention sections of Illumination Theory by name. I couldn't even name one section.  :lol

I know! I had forgotten there were sections that had names. But I probably couldn't name each section of A Change of Seasons, and that is one of my favorite DT songs. So what do I know?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #769 on: January 22, 2022, 08:26:21 PM »

I know! I had forgotten there were sections that had names. But I probably couldn't name each section of A Change of Seasons, and that is one of my favorite DT songs.

Neither could I and I've been listening to that since it came out.